JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dip - It`s Too Late

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons and Owlbears, OH MY! [tabletop gaming]  (Read 27698 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Re: Dungeons and Dragons and Owlbears, OH MY! [tabletop gaming]
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 02:01:12 AM »
That stuff is pretty awesome. I liked the 3D game table they did for flying stuff too.

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 07:05:43 AM »
Woo~ :)

Got session #2 of my new campaign tomorrow. I've got the basic plot written up, but I need to sit down tomorrow and print out some stats for the encounters.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:22 AM »
^
Nice! Whaaa, I really want to make my own campaign someday. ...

Meanwhile, look what arrived in the mail today! Dresden Files Roleplaying Game straight from the printers~! xD Hahaha. Pre-ordered on the first day of pre-orders~~ xDDD;

I haven't really looked at them or the game mechanics yet so I can't say much about how this all works... though I know that the game is based on FATE and use Fudge dice. I can, however, say that the books look incredibly awesome! *o*

Great illustrations, easy to read font, and lots and lots of little extra tidbits to spice up the books :heart:

The Dresden Files characters arguing/teasing/talking with each other in the margins...

:lol:

Yes... totally. <,<;

Volume Two even contains a short story by Jim Butcher, the Dresden Files author! :w00t:

The game is created by Evil Hat, and they are awesome. They use the open gaming license for most or all of their games. Open source gaming, hells yeah  :rockon:
They're also unusually open about the business side of things... like sales numbers and such. Good, good stuff :D

Can't wait to play this~! :D

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
Did anyone listen to the Penny Arcade D&D session podcasts? Either way, you should check this out. Live D&D session at PAX 2010. Chris Perkins as DM, along with players Jerry Holkins, Scott Kurtz, Mike Krahulik, and Wil Wheaton.

It's hilarious 8D I do recommend listening to the podcasts first so you'll know their characters a bit, but whatever. This is funny either way xD;

There are 10 parts total! Check out the DNDWizards youtube for the rest~

Offline shurrupak

• ecchi
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »
I played this a lot now  i play dungeons dragons online. :p

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:50 AM »

Is it sad that I would totally play that if I could get a group together?

Also: http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=2982.0

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
So, a combination of Community and this thread motivated to at least get the DnD Starter Set. That was more than half a year ago and I finally got to give it a whirl last week :lol: It was just two of my cousins playing and me DMing. Considering that I decided to do it very spur of the moment, it was pretty clunky, but enjoyable, I think. It helped pass the time at any rate. After that, I read up on my stuff so I'd be prepared for the next time, if it was ever to arise... which it did a few days later. I went to their house for a swim and after everyone had gone home, I brought my starter set out of my car (sneaky sneaky) XD It went a lot more smoothly, but they did get me to play a character I'd made when I was trying to work out how games run half a year ago. There were still quite a few things that I didn't know and I even forgot to add weapon accuracy to attack modifiers which made things a heck of a lot harder for us :nervous The included books didn't tell me that I could use heal checks to revive a dying character, though I probably should have been able to figure that out myself :doh: All in all, it was fun, and I was really taken aback by how long our three encounters (including the last one in the player's book consisting solely of goblin minions) took. We started playing at around 7pm and finished a little past 1am. We would've kept going, but my cousins were leaving for New Zealand the next day, so we had to cut it short.

I like that DnD is pretty age-inclusive. One of my cousins is my age, but the other one is only 12, so that both could play on roughly equal footing impressed me. I actually liked it so much that I went the next step and bought a Player's Handbook as well as a Dungeon Master's Kit. I was actually planning to just go get the player's handbook as well as a scenario book to run a campaign with, but then the guy told me that the book was essentially a whole part of the DnD world and that I had to come up with the campaign myself. I don't think I'm quite ready for that :sweatdrop: I'm hoping to get a small group of guys (I don't know any girls in real life who may be remotely interested in this game) together, so we can play without myself having to juggle a player character alongside DMing. I also get really paranoid that I'm biasing the gameplay in the party's favour because I'm there, but I have the feeling I'd do that anyway. Don't want them dying outright before they get to the hard encounters XD

I had to google the d4 to determine how to read the result, hahaha... Before, we'd just been adding up all the numbers on the face down side, so we were there thinking that a rogue was awesome. Now that I've figured out how to read it though, I don't understand how the rogue can be considered a striker with a dagger. Sure, it hits and runs, but I thought it'd do high damage before running :huhuh

While my laptop was in for repair, I started listening to those Penny Arcade pocasts Twissie linked in the first post. Really great fun :thumbsup The Jim Darkmagic of the New Hampshire Darkmagics is definitely my favourite :rofl: My phone has issues with flash, so I couldn't listen to the I Hit It With My Axe podcasts, but I will start after I finish the Penny Arcade stuff now that my laptop's back.

One thing about the game that disappoints me is the apparent need for physical maps/boards. As I saw it first in an episode of Community (and later an episode of the IT Crowd), I'd assumed that all you needed were dice, paper, pencils, rubbers (erasers, for all you northerners), character sheets, a table, the scenario book for the DM and then the DM's notes. Oh, and maybe a screen. Is it just a 4e thing? I admit that it does make combat simple, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy/make the maps.

This game has really helped me pass the time when I was without a computer. I think I survived because of it. It's decent fun and I hope I get to play it more in the future, hopefully as player character sometime instead of the permanent DM.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Asmo: Is your username at all related to Asmodeus?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:33:12 AM by Deft-Monkey »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 02:03:37 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun. Most D&D versions use maps (AD&D, AD&D 2e, 3rd, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e all are about equal in needing maps). You can usually get buy without them for simpler stuff. I often only use them for the big battles, and just do less important ones verbally. A fifth edition has been announced where they'll be optional, but that won't be for another year or two.

In response to your question about my user name, only indirectly.

I haven't played since moving north. Still need to find a gaming group here.

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
What the... My long-ass post disappeared :doh: Must've related to the forum issues yesterday.

On Monday, I hosted my first proper session of D&D for five friends. It was really slow to get started. I made characters for 4 of the 5 guys; 1 had already made himself a ranger. As we had an extra guy in regard to the campaign design, I added 2 goblins to the first encounter. The fighter came close to dying completely :sweatdrop: It took about one and a half hours for the one encounter, because everyone was learning the rules and looking at their powers/modifiers. As such, the group didn't seem to enthusiastic. When they got down to the last 2 goblins, I just made the enemies flee to get everything moving along.

Everything really picked up when they got into the dungeon :thumbup They plowed through the kobold minions and then confronted the fledgling dragon at the end of chamber. I was pretty impressed with their improved approach to their surroundings. They came to some runes on the floor and suspected that something was up with them, so they wanted to check them out. Thanks to that, they managed to get some blessing before meeting the dragon. The wizard of the party took it upon himself to introduce the party to the dragon as Qifug (a company name determined by a d20 and QWERTY keyboard :P) - actually, he said "Qifuk" first, but the others quickly corrected him :grin: He was doing pretty well, until he told the dragon that they had come to loot. Everyone was like, "WHAT?? NO!!" and then rolled for initiative. They basically annihilated it, much to my surprise :shocked They even decided to extract information from it just before killing it. That was a bit cruel, but it was their choice.

Our plans to go to the beach on Tuesday got cancelled due to rain, so we had another session instead :) One of the guys couldn't turn up, but someone extra turned up anyway, so I made him a paladin to compensate for the loss of the cleric. They went to another room of the dungeon, which is where things turned pear-shaped. After seeing how easily they took on the previous room, which was meant to be more difficult than the one they were moving into, I figured I should either add 2 goblins to the encounter or 1 guard drake. I put in the extra drake, which was a big mistake. The 2 drakes were in a room with a closed door, and the party was absolutely rocking against the goblin hex hurler and one of the cutthroats. The remaining cutthroat then released the drakes :nervous The tables almost immediately turned. The drakes and cutthroat stayed together near the rogue and wizard. Both drakes took both the rogue and wizard down in one turn, killing one of them instantly. The ranger then knocked over a brazier, hitting one drake and the wizard, killing him. The fighter had tried running back from the hex hurler to revive the wizard, but was too late and he got flanked by the drakes, also getting the cutthroat in his face. The paladin was downed by the shaman, the ranger by a drake. I chose to bend the rules and allowed the fighter to use healing surges as minor actions (he was a dwarf) as many times as his turn/no. of surges would allow him to. That meant he was able to hang on and defeat the drakes, even though he used all of his 12 surges. The paladin died after 3 failed saving throws. The ranger managed to revive himself just as the dwarf got to him. They both just managed to take down the shaman, even with it's high AC.

Seeing as they're only level 1, I let the ranger and the fighter take the bodies of their comrades to town and had some made up mysterious mage revive them. That actually turned out to be a pretty good thing. I said that they now owed him a favour, which he might call on in the future, setting up a scenario for a later campaign :) Thinking about it now, I should've made it a temple priest that revived them, but don't sweat the small stuff, right?

Letting the fighter heal himself lead to improved camaraderie, with everyone calling him the MVP and patting him on the back. In a way, I still penalised total death by depriving those 3 characters of XP from the encounter and instead sharing it only between the fighter and ranger. I'm not sure if that's what I should've done, but I figured their had to be some consequence for dying if I revived them.

This game is pretty fun :thumbsup

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
My friend invited me to join a Game of Thrones RPG that he's playing soon. I'm excited, but I hope I'll have the time to go.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Good luck!

Still no luck finding an RPG in Iqaluit. Must be gamers out there, but I have no idea where to find them.

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 12:07:04 AM »
^ have you tried craigslist? My group picked up our newest member through an add.
Life is one time.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »
Good idea, but sadly they don't exist here.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:25 AM »
Would anyone be interested in having a JPHiP D&D campaign? We could use Skype, G+ or something. I have been doing a bit of table-topping in real life lately and I'd really like to be able to play with some of you guys and girls.

Finding a good time for everyone to play won't be easy, but just polling for interest first.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »

Oh, Rush Limbaugh...

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »
Hey everyone! It's a new year and that means new things!!

I know some people expressed interest in playing an online JPHiP campaign before, so I'd really like to try it out! I was talking to Twissie on Twitter a bit and she's keen for it. Apparently, she's tried playing over IRC before and it worked out well, so maybe we can try that?? We'll need a separate channel for it, but I don't really know how that works. Amp? Anyone?

Then comes the question of what to play. Suggestions? Wizards of the Coast have been releasing free playtest packets for D&D Next, accessible here. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it could be fun! I'm really open to anything. The only table-top games I've really played are D&D 4e and Icons.

Yeah, yeah, let's work out a time, a place, a game and get playing!! :w00t:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
I'm thinking we should maybe test out the format by doing a simple one shot adventure or something first, just to give people an idea of how a campaign could turn out.

Playing over IRC, we won't have visuals like miniatures or even maps, so I find that simple dungeon crawlers work better. I've been playing Dungeon Crawler Classics over IRC with a group of people, and it's so much fun! Decision making can take a bit of time, though. The adventures/campaigns require minimum preparation, so it would be relatively easy for the DM to prepare. Anything to makes it easier for people to get together and do this, is a huge plus.

With only textual descriptions and communication, I also find it easier to slip into character and do some actual role playing - which is awesome, since I've seldom seen this when I've played dungeon crawlers with people IRL. Haha.

The rules for DCC are very simple, if you are familiar with DnD, you'll feel right at home. One of the people I play this with over IRC, had zero experience with tabletop gaming before joining, and he absolutely loves it (and plays very well!). So... you know :D

DCC is also absolutely hilarious. Here is the back cover of the book to lure you in:

Other than that, I really love Pathfinder, but those campaigns require quite a bit of preparation, and I'm not sure how well it would play out over IRC. I'm pretty much open for anything, though :D I have experience from playing a bunch of different types of RPGS ^^;

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dip - It`s Too Late