JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Amano Tsukiko - Ningyo

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1000638 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #3120 on: September 22, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »
The trailer for the new Bloodborne DLC gets me so excited. One thing I love about the game is the incredible music and this new piece for the DLC doesn't disappoint. Then you look at the new environments, weapons, enemies too. Roll on November, I cannot wait already.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3121 on: September 22, 2015, 11:44:31 PM »
Here's a trailer for a documentary about the indie scene in Japan.

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #3122 on: September 27, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »
The memorable gunfight scene from Tales from the Borderlands Ep. 4

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3123 on: September 30, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »
Been on a Call of Duty binge since August. Started with the Black Ops series (World at War, BO, and BOII), then the Modern Warfare trilogy (COD4, MW2, and MW3), and I just finished Ghosts yesterday. Advanced Warfare is next.

Black Ops
Pros - best story, best voice acting, talking protagonists for BO and BOII, ability to choose weapons/attachments/perks in BOII's campaign, Gary Oldman's SCREAMING
Cons - WaW's mute protagonists, WaW's infinite grenade spam (especially in Heart of the Reich), WaW's infinite respawning enemies, BOII's RTS-style missions, Gary Oldman's SCREAMING

Modern Warfare
Pros - action-heavy, great setpieces, best villain (Makarov)
Cons - mute protagonists, enemies focus on you more often than your allies, feels like it's directed by Michael Bay

Ghosts
Pros - Riley, vehicular combat, gunfights IN SPACE!
Cons - mute protagonist (why is he ignoring his dad and brother?), worst villain (Rorke), horrible ending

Overall, I enjoyed BO/BOII the most and Ghosts the least.

Oh, and I finished Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Story was OK but it felt like they copied some game mechanics from The Last of Us. Its Raid Mode doesn't feel as good as the first one's.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3124 on: September 30, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »
Modern Warfare
Pros - action-heavy, great setpieces, best villain (Makarov)
Cons - mute protagonists, enemies focus on you more often than your allies, feels like it's directed by Michael Bay
Which game is this for, or the whole trilogy?
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3125 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:54 AM »
MW was the better entries in the series to me, the best being COD4. More than capable to admit that I say that out of nostalgia of those long nights during University and the summer breaks spent playing COD4 online but it delivered the best single player campaign of the series (the least overwrought and straight forward to follow at least) as well as multiplayer distilled to it's purest form. Only 3 killstreaks, UAV, airstrike and helicopter, and create a class that's all I needed. None of this score 10 system with 50 killstreaks to pick from. There were issues with noobtubes and spawn killing absolutely, but it wasn't so overly complex as it is with recent games. Also, the create a class system and gaining XP was unheard of for console shooters at the time. Plus the single player kind of started the whole heavily scripted missions with dramatic setpieces the series is known for and since gone on to inspire game design for years now. So if nothing else, COD4 is a very important game for the industry.

Black Ops games are perfectly fine, but always felt that Treyarch were trying to hard to impress with their efforts to recruit Hollywood voice actors and emphasis on blood and gore. Plus the Zombies mode bored me to tears, especially considering I was more than getting my fill of zombie survival from Left 4 Dead at the time. Now it's in every COD game and it's something I never touch. Never played COD Ghosts. Advanced Warfare looks great, has an ok single player but I really detested the multiplayer. Played the Black Ops 3 beta and actually enjoyed it a bit, would think about picking it up at some point.

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3126 on: October 02, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »
Finished COD Advanced Warfare. It's much, much better than Ghosts.

I'm disappointed that Black Ops III won't have a campaign mode for the PS3. I've never enjoyed competitive multiplayer, so I ignored most of the COD games' MP modes.

Which game is this for, or the whole trilogy?
The trilogy.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3127 on: October 03, 2015, 05:50:52 AM »
Who here has played Destiny? The Legendary Edition is out and I'm deciding whether to get it. I have some questions:
- Do the main game and DLCs have single player offline campaign?
- Is it open world or is it divided into chapters?
- If it has a campaign mode, does it have a new game + or post-game content?
- Is it "always online"?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3128 on: October 03, 2015, 08:10:31 AM »
Who here has played Destiny? The Legendary Edition is out and I'm deciding whether to get it. I have some questions:
- Do the main game and DLCs have single player offline campaign?
- Is it open world or is it divided into chapters?
- If it has a campaign mode, does it have a new game + or post-game content?
- Is it "always online"?
I am still playing it, want to finish my flaming hammer throwing Titan  :cow:

- The game is 'always online' even for single player story missions you have to be connected to the servers of Bungie.
- Patrols are 'somewhat open' being you can have up to 9 people in a section of the game (but that is actually 3 fireteams of 3 people)
  So you will see other people in patrol mode, with story mission you have to create your own fire team (with 3 people)
  Raids can be upto 6 people playing together
- It has a 'Story mode' comparable to 'Campaign mode' of other games, sometimes you even end up within patrol spaces with others (but then continue with your own mission)
  You can play from the start and go thru all older story missions if you want, you have three characters per account so could use one for that.
- It is always online even when you play 'single player', it is a kind of MMO

I have played it for a year now (even played during the beta).
Its true what you hear: the game mechanics are top notch, better even then with the HALO games (even Halo 4 no idea bout 5 yet)
But the newer content is geared way more to multiplayer then to solo playing so its getting less interesting for me as a casual solo player.
There is matchmaking for some parts of the games, it can be hit and miss.

So, if you like how HALO did its thing, you will like how Destiny plays just do not expect the same amount of 'campaign' content.

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3129 on: October 03, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »
- The game is 'always online' even for single player story missions you have to be connected to the servers of Bungie.
- It is always online even when you play 'single player', it is a kind of MMO
Looks like I won't be getting it since it will put a big strain on my bandwidth.

Its true what you hear: the game mechanics are top notch, better even then with the HALO games (even Halo 4 no idea bout 5 yet)
So, if you like how HALO did its thing, you will like how Destiny plays just do not expect the same amount of 'campaign' content.
Not very familiar with Halo (I only know that its mascot wears a greenish power suit of sorts). Don't have an Xbox.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3130 on: October 03, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
^ Might have to do with my connection (I have 100Mbit fiber) but haven't noticed problems even while doing big-ass torrents or newsgroup downloads.

But the MMO part is starting to put me off, certain types of the newer public events simply require at least two high level players and are pretty much undoable solo.
BTW, Not talking about the end-game raids here, those are meant to be done by at least 4-6 players.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3131 on: October 04, 2015, 01:11:51 AM »
Yeah in Destiny if you want to get the best equipment then you better hope to have a few friends who you can communicate with and work together to take on the higher tier missions like the Weekly Strikes. In fact last I checked, doing the raid missions is impossible to do with strangers, you have to be in a party.

I had one of those, holy crap moments from playing the Dying Light demo earlier. Found a group of survivors beating the crap out of this one guy and so the side mission was to help him. I took them on but they were just as agile, dodging and blocking my strikes while the other 2 started surrounding me. Was backing up the whole time only to realise there was a horde of zombies behind me. On instinct I threw some firecrackers on the ground and ran past them. The noise drew zombies towards them and one of them chased me and we eventually had a one on one duel situation. I took care of it and I went ahead and sure enough, realised that one was already killed by the horde, while the other was fighting them off. He withstood a few bites, but wasn't dying so I pulled out the pistol, waited until he was starting to get bitten again and I shot him in the head. The body goes slack and falls down with the zombie eating the rest of him.

What a cool moment, think I'll have to get this game, the upcoming expansion looks good too so there should be plenty of it to enjoy by the time I get it. Also my TV went bust so I made the upgrade from a 22 inch to a 29 inch and every game looks that little bit better now :D

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3132 on: October 05, 2015, 06:15:36 AM »
Finally beat the Ethereal Queen from Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Now I can give away or sell the game.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3133 on: October 06, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »
^ Congratulations!

I got my ass handed the one and only time i set foot into the bonus dungeon.
What Level were your characters?

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3134 on: October 07, 2015, 04:22:17 AM »
^Thank you.

Level 255. Despite that and with the characters having 99999 HP, 9999 stats and the best end/post-game equipment, she can still one-shot everyone with her Supernova attack once she goes into rush mode.

I made everyone manual. I had to dupe her into going aggro on a "fainted" character (immune to all damage while fainted for 60 seconds) in one corner while two other characters, that function as healers / long-range magic casters stay in the other corners, far away from the boss so as not to incur her aggro. Then I had my main character (Arumat; the edgy, anti-social elf guy) spam multi-hitting Dragon Roars while in permanent rush mode. I do about 13,000 (30,000 when enhanced by attack up magic) damage per hit. When the decoy character wakes up, I toss a fainting potion on him again. The battle can take quite a while if the boss decides to switch focus on someone else then I have to use the decoy to attack her and lure her away to his corner to repeat the pattern.

The Ethereal Queen has no weaknesses, is resistant to all elements, uses stronger attacks more frequently at 50% health, goes into permanent rush mode at 5% health, and has about 15,000,000 to 20,000,000 HP.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3135 on: October 09, 2015, 01:07:38 AM »
Played an hour of the Battlefront beta there and had a great time. It's a basic Battlefield game with Star Wars over it. Lovely. I can see there might be an issue with spawn points and spawn killing but I dunno, it's not something I'm going to take as seriously as actual Battlefield game. I was too busy flying in a TIE Fighter or piloting an AT-AT to care too much to be honest! Very nearly took down an AT-AT with the snowspeeded tow cable, but the match ended just as I made the first circle around it. Some day I will!

Offline hackata48

• Member+
  • TE HETA HADA WODA! -Quote from 'Frenzy'ability TWA
« Reply #3136 on: October 09, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »
When XCOM 2 launches in having some AKB members be part of the team.
Sakura 'Cherry Bomb' Miyawaki
Haruka 'Salt' Shimzaki
Minami 'Ataka' Takahashi
For example
And my soldiers nickname will be
'MLG Quickscope' cuz I'm a good quickscoper m8. XD

Offline hackata48

• Member+
  • TE HETA HADA WODA! -Quote from 'Frenzy'ability TWA
« Reply #3137 on: October 09, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
Does anyone here play Warframe?
Im a really good Ash, Excalibur and Limbo player.
Maxim of Arbiters of Hexis
And my fave gun is Dread and 4 barreled Tigris

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3138 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Saw an interesting question posed elsewhere which was 'Do you think watching a Youtube playthrough entitle you to determine if the game is bad?'

Depends on the game but for the most part I'll say no, specifically when talking about the mechanics and the moment to moment gameplay experiencing it with the controller in your hand. It's the same argument when people say horror games are more involving and terrifying when you're the one in control of the action making the decisions rather than just watching a film. I don't think Silent Hill 2 for example would be as good if I watched it via a playthrough for the first time.

I've had so many moments like that in recent memory, like in The Last Of Us sneaking through the hotel without getting spotted. That was one of the most tense and satisfying sequences I've had in recent memory and I wouldn't have gotten that experience had I not played it first hand. In fact that whole moment could be lost if I was watching someone else on Youtube who took a guns blazing approach to it. It's moments like that which can get lost on the viewer. Someone else playing the game using only one approach, not experimenting with the mechanics or indeed playing it badly can also make a game seem much more dull or bad than it is. It's stuff like that which makes me suspicious at the very least, when someone talks negatively about a game and they can say that having only seen a playthrough rather than play the game. I wouldn't dismiss their opinion outright but I'd take their opinion with a pinch of salt I guess. Having said that, things like the story, graphics, music, level design, those can be individually assessed via a playthrough. I admit it's weird!

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3139 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
^ Mechanics aside, I do think watching someone play through an entire game does provide the viewer to have a somewhat informed opinion on it. Using the word "entitle" in the question is a bit strong.

In the Last of Us example you laid out, if I had watched you play the hotel sequence carefully I would've gotten ~85% of the tension you did. The person playing the game has a huge impact on how the viewer would develop their opinion on the game. In that case, I would imagine the viewer likes and trusts the person playing it enough to be willing to watch a whole game being played by them. I have a handful of people/websites I'm willing to watch play a game entirely, but I'd rather play the game myself in most cases.

Sure, there's more weight to someone opinion on a game if they played it themselves, but there is value in talking to people who have seen games played completely and hearing what they thought of the game. One of my favorite games of the year is Until Dawn, even though I've seen 3 full playthroughs of the game by other people. Yes, I did miss out making the quick choices when the game forces it, but I still had my own choices, and even if the streamer made a different choice there is value in seeing the other option.

So I do agree that it depends on the game. Something open-world like MGS5 would be open to questioning about the mechanics, but Super Mario Maker I think lends itself better to an informed opinion even if all someone did was watch it being played. Now I think about it, it also depends on who played it and whether the viewer has some sort of connection of the person or just randomly watched someone play it.

Video games are weird.  :lol:

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Amano Tsukiko - Ningyo