JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lim Kim - Awoo

Author Topic: Finally a reason to watch the WNBA  (Read 4419 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Finally a reason to watch the WNBA
« on: August 24, 2005, 10:03:57 AM »
Girls getting rough!!  :jerk:

Los Angeles Sparks coach Joe Bryant, the father of Lakers star Kobe Bryant, was involved in an angry exchange with an opposing player and coach following the Sparks' 55-50 victory over the Houston Comets Sunday in Los Angeles.

Bryant and some Sparks players apparently took exception to what they perceived to be a "cheap shot" from Houston's Tina Thompson that took down the Sparks' Laura Macchi at the end of the game. The play resulted in an exchange of shoves and angry words between players, and reportedly led to Bryant's heated dispute with Houston coach Van Chancellor

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 09:35:37 AM »
They're actually playing the finals? what channel is it on? Connecticut has a team?  :lol:

now if Sheryl Swoopes would retire already and stop winning the MVP all the time and we get more of this....

maybe they'd get more ratings lol.

Go Monarchs!! Get it over with and stop wasting TV time. :P

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:22:38 AM »
At the very least attendance at their games should rise.  Amongst other things, of course.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 09:12:59 AM »
And they could use more controversy like coaches dating players.

Congrats to the Monarchs for winning the WNBA Title! Something the Queens could never and WILL NEVER do!!  :lol:

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »
they almost did....but your LAKERS screwed it all......BIG ROB!!! BIG SHOT ROB!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 10:14:02 AM »

Sheryl Swoopes says she's gay. First major team athlete to do so:
http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2204322

Check out her hot bod:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/siforwomen/2000/may_june/swimsuit/3/

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 09:19:35 PM »
Quote from: daigong

Sheryl Swoopes says she's gay. First major team athlete to do so:
http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2204322

First question to pop in my head: "Is her GF hot?"  :P  :P  :P

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Finally a reason to watch the WNBA
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:35:52 AM »
So there was this cute reporter at the LA Times post Lakers report:

lol and whaddya know she was stirring up shit with the WNBA.  :rofl: She wrote this BUTT Link taken down: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/wnba/sparks/la-spw-rohlin20-2008sep20,0,7436798.story

thanks to the power of the NET (cr: NBA Hoops China)

Why this woman is a fan of basketball, but not the WNBA
Why this woman is a fan of basketball, but not the WNBA

Like most people, she watches sports to be entertained, and that means when it comes to hoops, it's all about the NBA.
By Melissa Rohlin, Special to The Times
11:03 PM PDT, September 19, 2008

An explanation from one woman basketball fan -- not a women's basketball fan -- who did not plan on being at Staples Center for the Sparks' opening game in the playoffs against Seattle.

I have played basketball my entire life and dreamed of playing in the WNBA. I did anything and everything to accomplish my goal -- everything except watch the WNBA.
I was the first person to show up at practice and I was the last person to leave the gym. Basketball was my life. I was so obsessed with the sport that my parents would punish any perceived bad behavior by forbidding me from going to the gym.

During this period, I watched every Lakers game and studied Kobe's dunks and leaping skills, but I never tried to learn the moves and skills of the women with whom I actually dreamed of playing.

I returned to my alma mater, Palisades High, and discovered that I am not alone. Of the 12 girls hoping to make the basketball team this fall with whom I spoke, only one says that she regularly watches the WNBA. The majority say they regularly watch the NBA.

I wish that I had more interest in the WNBA. The players have doubtlessly overcome gender prejudices and a lot of adversity to achieve their status. They are examples of discipline and focus and are advancing the cause of gender equality while simultaneously destroying gender norms.

Unfortunately, I watch basketball to be entertained. I do not watch it to support a cause. And, quite frankly, men's basketball is far more entertaining than women's basketball. Simply stated: Men jump higher, run faster, and hit harder than women.

The celebration and media hype that ensued after Candace Parker's first dunk in the WNBA emphasizes the difference between men's and women's basketball. Could you imagine if each player in the NBA received that kind of attention after a dunk debut? It would be comical. Dunking is practically as much of a requisite for playing in the NBA as dribbling is for the WNBA.

I am not trying to understate the significance of Parker's feat. Her dunk was historic because she is a woman. But, why would basketball fans want to watch the WNBA where something generic is considered historic?

Not everyone feels the way I do. One Palisades varsity basketball hopeful, Dominique Scott, finds the WNBA more exciting than the NBA because she can better relate to women's moves and tactics. She thinks that the showboating and dunking of the NBA detracts from the purity of the sport.

Unfortunately, most people do not agree with Dominique's perspective, and since there is not much fan interest in the WNBA, there is also not much media coverage. "Studies have shown that men's sports receive as much as 90% airtime as compared to a mere 7% airtime for women," said Stephanie Sweet, who has a master's degree in kinesiology from Long Beach State.

We are constantly bombarded with advertisements for the NBA. Even though my grandmother thinks that the Lakers are a football team, she still knows the dates and times of their games.

The WNBA, on the other hand, is virtually absent in the media. People have to actively research and seek out game times. Leora Sheily, a 16-year-old Palisades basketball player, said, "If I knew about Sparks games, I would watch them."

Another reason the WNBA is underappreciated is the lack of male interest in the game. Very few of my friends who are girls share my passion for basketball, but most of my guy friends (even those who have no interest in playing the sport) love watching it. These guys only have an interest in the NBA. The WNBA is as foreign to them as cricket is to most Americans.

Another Palisades player, Ksenya Schvchuk, said: "Half of the fun of watching basketball is debating the games with my guy friends, and since none of them watch the WNBA, I have lost interest."

Sweet explained that most guys accept women competing only in feminine sports such as volleyball and tennis. Men do not like watching women clad in baggy, long shorts competing in contact sports. This image directly opposes the prototype of the feminine woman who is revered in today's society, and, as Sweet says, "Sports is a reflection of society."

A lot of young female basketball players also shy away from watching the WNBA because of its reputation of having a large homosexual fan base. Some heterosexual girls are afraid that they themselves will be considered gay if they associate with something reputed as gay. Unfortunately, this discourages many young women from watching and talking about a sport in which they would otherwise have interest.

Even though my dream of playing professional basketball evaporated in high school, I still love watching the sport. Well, I love watching guys play the sport. The WNBA is for me, as it is for the majority of the potential Palisades varsity basketball players, nothing but an afterthought.

If the WNBA hopes to survive, it must at least pique the interest of female basketball players. I want the WNBA to survive. For now, by discussing our lack of interest in the WNBA, we are at least bringing it some attention.

lol the retort from

I had my appetite ruined on Saturday.

It happened right after I read Melissa Rohlin's piece "Why this woman is a fan of basketball, but not the WNBA." It's hard to tell what's worse about the commentary: a) that the opinion offered was so antiquated and un-evolved; b) that a woman would go out of her way to hate on such accomplished professional women; or c) that the reality is, there are people who actually share such a sheltered view.

Nevertheless, I can cosign on three sentiments conveyed by Ms. Rohlin: that the NBA does feature the best athletes and the highest level of basketball in the world, that women's sports receive far less media coverage than men's and that discussion is always healthy. Of course, those facts are as much of a news flash as word that an African American is running for president.

read more if u want: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/09/diana-taurasi-i.html

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lim Kim - Awoo