JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask

Author Topic: Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
Entertainment giant Walt Disney is to buy Marvel Entertainment in a shares and cash deal valued at $4bn (£2.5bn).

The deal means Disney will take over ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters, such as Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Marvel shareholders will get $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share owned.

The boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the deal, which now needs the backing of Marvel shareholders and competition authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8230504.stm

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Re: Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
:o

The Disney empire grows again.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
and I die a little inside.... nothing, and I mean nothing good can come from this.

RIP Marvel, I loved thee.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:54:33 AM »
lol... all I can imagine is a cross-over of Mickey Mouse vs. Marvel characters!
XD

and later... Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 ---> special character = Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck!
:lol:
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
Walt Disney Acquires Marvel Entertainment for $4 Billion!

Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today. Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28th, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion. Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. This is huge news and if Disney also arranges a distriution partnership with Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks, they'll be a true powerhouse.

"This transaction combines Marvel's strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney's creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories,” said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, today. "We believe that adding Marvel to Disney’s unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation."

In regards to movies, Paramount will maintain their arrangement to distribute five upcoming Marvel Studios films, including Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers. All other deals for movies for characters at other studios (e.g. Spider-Man, X-Men) will stay in place under the terms originally set by Marvel. Disney would like to start distributing Marvel movies down the line, saying "when the time comes we'll take a closer look at it." John Lasseter met last week about a possible team-up between Marvel and Pixar and apparently got "pretty excited, pretty fast." They say there's definitely an opportunity there.

We'll definitely keep you updated on all the latest regarding this groundbreaking deal, including further implications and changes and what we can expect from both Marvel and Disney now. I will be the first to say that this is fantastic news. Disney is a strong brand and one of the smartest studios in the world and they will only become a stronger, better brand as a result of this acquisition. We may not see the impact in the movie business immediately, but it will eventually be felt. You can read more over on the New York Times.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/31/walt-disney-acquires-marvel-entertainment-for-4-billion/

Oh shit! I can't wait for the possible crossover comics & flicks:
* The Incredible Hulk vs. Donald Duck: Who's the angriest cartoon character?
* Galactus Wrecks Havoc In Hundred Acre Wood
* Tony Stark & Scrooge McDuck: The American C.R.E.A.M. Team
* Huey, Dewey and Louie join the X-Men
* Hannah Montana: The Bastard Daughter of Peter Parker

Come on, Disney! Make it happen, yo! XD

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
Like DC is owned by Warner, why not? Someone needs cash. not like Stan Lee hasn't whored himself out already.

And the merch! shit. I can't believe they never had Mickey in a Spider-man outfit. or Daisy as invisible girl :drools:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
I'm not really into Marvel, nor Disney.. but I just kept thinking what an unreal amount 2.5 billion USD is  :shocked: Seriously, that is so much money I can't even imagine it.

To think that we get people collecting here at door to door, trying to save Africa with my donated 25 cents..

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
First thing that came into my mind was, holy crap, Marvel characters in Kingdom Hearts! :lol:

Absolutely crazy money. But then you'd expect any property associated with the likes of Spiderman, Wolverine or Ironman to generate crazy money anyway. Perhaps it's not a big deal to either companies?

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »
I can't believe they never had Mickey in a Spider-man outfit.
Ever notice Mickey's face is white, but his body is black?
He's already wearing the alien Spidey suit.

Now, what we need to see is Howard the Duck making the moves on Daisy.

Offline Yo Jimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:07:02 AM »
Too be honest, I don't really know what to make of this. I don't really see them crossing over their IPs all that often. Maybe that's just me. I think the biggest thing to look out for is future licensing issues with movies and whatnot. Anyway, time will tell what will become of this deal.
Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the diehards

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
Penny Arcade is rarely funny, but I liked this one:

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:02:09 PM »
I think disney would like to take over the American cartoon industry.  They want to run over the culture of a unique cartoon so we can all run to anime in Japan yay
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
As Craig Ferguson said with delight, "It means we're one step closer to the Jonas Brothers getting killed by The Incredible Hulk!" XD

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »
First thing that came into my mind was, holy crap, Marvel characters in Kingdom Hearts! :lol:

:lol:

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:02 AM »

Offline NaoLove

• Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:56 AM »
Hope Disney doesnt spoil Marvel's more 'dark' setting. :banghead:
Its why Marvel appeals so much.

Offline den4

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »
Can't wait to see the What If comics, where Stan the Man Lee fights the Eisner guy in a duel.....over creative control over SpiderMan and MickeyMouse......
 :cow:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
I'm not a big fan of either company, so for me it can be interesting. I can also see why marvel fans shudder at this whole deal..

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
i think people are really overreacting on this. 
Disney owned Miramax, which produced/distributed films like Kill Bill, Trainspotting, and Pulp Fiction.  I'm sure they're not gonna fuck up Marvel and lose all its fans.
word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
Bob Iger Talks Disney's Purchase of Marvel at D23 Expo

It's been almost two weeks since the industry was abuzz with talk about Disney's $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment. There's been speculation of Pixar adapting Marvel properties, to Disney dulling down some of the edginess that Marvel contains in is extensive catalog of stories and characters. Needless to say, in a purchase of this size, there's bound to be plenty of loose ends to tie up and concerns to address. Disney President and CEO Bob Iger tried to quell some of those concerns in a surprise appearance at the D23 Expo, but he just might have raised a whole new set of concerns for Disney and Marvel fans.

Iger compared the Marvel relationship to the one they have with Pixar, which is quite good news. "It’s definitely analogous in terms of how we plan to manage Marvel. We recognize in Pixar a culture and a way of doing business that is really impressive, that we felt in many ways was the essence of what Pixar was, between the filmmakers, animators, etc." He also added, in regards to Marvel, this tidbit:

"As you'd expect, due to the nature of Marvel, it’s a business we’re very familiar with. Well known characters and weird stories and a product that transcends gender and age and geographic territories," Iger said. "When you look at it as part of the Walt Disney Company and the application, the presence of Marvel is virtually in everything that we’re in. You can expect that over time, that’s what you will see. We became impressed with the talent of Marvel as we got to know them better. Once the the deal closes their is expected integration, but we plan to keep Marvel as an entity and and to respect both the talent that is there, working as one and also respect what Marvel is and what the essence of Marvel is. There will be no Disneyfication of Marvel."

Everything seems great, until Iger went on to mention: "There are also some legacy agreements that Marvel has in a variety of ways to the theme park with Universal to the distribution of the live action films. So until some of these things work their course, or until we get a better sense when the deal closes, there isn’t much planning that can be done, until we reach an agreement."  So what it sounds like is there's still a lot of red tape to get through, as can be expected, but the bad news is this might hinder any immediate progress of new projects that Marvel and Disney might develop under this new banner.  And with fast track projects like 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four reboot, which seems to be green-lit only to keep the intellectual property from reverting to Disney, there's sure to be many more hiccups along the way.

When it comes to the theme park aspect of things, I personally can't wait to see what Disney does with Marvel in their theme parks.  While the Marvel part of Universal Studios is fun, in my opinion, it doesn't even come close to the magic and wonder that kids and adults alike feel when they go to Disneyland.  Everyone remembers their trip to Disneyland or Disneyworld.  And while there are some interesting Marvel ties at Universal Studios theme parks, I just know in my heart that Disney can do it much better. That's all Iger said for now.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/09/10/bob-iger-talks-disneys-purchase-of-marvel-at-d23-expo/

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask