JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Poupee De Cire Poupee De Son Domoto Kyodai 2006-06-18

Author Topic: 私のアホ家族(My Stupid Family)[24/6 - Chapter 25: A Series of Unfortunate Events]  (Read 93217 times)

Offline Shipyon

• Nya~ Nya~
  • Member+
Re: 私のアホ家族 (trl: My Stupid Family) [15/2 - Chapter 3: Photo Finish]
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »
I love this. Nice story. Really funny :inlove:

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
From reading Sayu's blog, I feel like her favourite out of the 9th gen is Riho too since she keeps going on about how adorable she is and such. XD I've taken some inexplicable liking to Mizuki somehow even though I haven't really watched all that much with her in it so I hope she shows in the fic all awesome like.

If it's as we all assume and it's our beloved poisoned tongued bunny, hooray! Her comments mean or not were quite funny! PoorLol, Mogi! The girl that didn't make it. If she grows up, turns into some gorgeous thing and ends up a successful artist, I'm sure we'll choke on all the mean fun we've had picking on her but yeah... Mucus = rofl.

Sayu at the end is like a kid that's just fallen for a kitten and simply must take her home (DaddyTsunku, pleeeease can we keep her?).

And oh yeah, this is so far from first, it isn't even funny. ): I fell asleeeeep. Whyyyy?

Offline oddball

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Off in the woods........
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Man, evil bitchy Sayu or what!  :lol: and major props for cameo from fat girl no.3   :panic:

You know, I can totally imagine Sayu being like this in her own thoughts, I'm going to be thinking about it when I next watch her in something to be sure  :doh:

Seems as though are little Riho has left a big impression on Sayu..... hmm I wonder if that is such a good thing however......

Offline aya-chii

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 10:50:20 AM »
LOL. this is funny.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Out of all the girls that auditioned for the 9th gen, I find it hard to believe that Mogi made the top 5. Good thing she didn't make it in! 

I can't wait to learn of Riho's path in the entertainment business. After this chapter, I would think she would be a dancer for Sayu or something, but I'm sure Riho is capable of many talents.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
Was it Sayu Cam? If we're playing safe with stereotypes, then it must be.

How much do I love warukuchi!Sayu? Let me count the ways:-

1) "Some of them must have skipped looking in their mirrors before coming, because I would have gladly lent them mine. Have they no shame?"
2) " This endless parade of mediocrity was making me feel dull. Can you imagine that? I can't."
3) "Or run away crying. Not quite unlike what Mucus, I mean, Mogi just did.

Talking to her own mirror/reflection.  :lol:

Oh. My. God. How is it possible for anything on two legs that isn't me to be that cute? It's impossible. I want to die right now. I swear I'm melting. I want to go over and hug her. Pinch her cheeks. Buy her things. Show her off to everyone. And then...
Aaaa! PedoPredator!Sayu! I want to hear/read Sayu say the word 'defile' so badly.

"When the doors closed once more, I swear I wasn't the first person to form the group huddle. Cross my heart, and I'm too cute to die!"
THIS WAS WIN! FOR LIFE!

I seriously want to marry your Sayu. Have there been proposals yet? I call dibs.

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »

Mogu Mogi.

YOU GIVE OMAKE PREEZ?

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
Alright, so this wasn't originally intended to be a chapter, just an extended (and extended, and extended) omake. But it's technically accurate, so...

KUJI THIS IS FOR YOU YOUR FAULT.

============================================================

Chapter 3.5 - Honesty is the Best(?) Policy

"Number 583."

And another one goes up to face the firing squad. Oops, I mean, the judges. I'm sure I had a nervous tic somewhere on my face, but then again, perhaps not. My childhood habit of biting my nails had been superseded by a blank expression of inscrutability. Don't ask me why.

Maybe it has something to do with Mama teaching me how to play poker. As for why she started playing poker with me, let's just say it was the New Year, we were snowed in, the power was out, and the Takahashi family had nothing better to do. I was 8 at the time.

And I'll have you know I hate losing. Mama is much the same. She won't cheat to win though.

...I would. Not that I have...been caught, that is.

No, you're not telling her. Mama would be horrified. As a good child, we should spare our parents the pain of such bad news, yes?

Anyway, back to the event at hand. No one was sitting next to me. Or around me at all. I can't be that unfriendly, am I? Then again, I have been told of how...intimidating...I could come off as being, right at first. Lies, I tell you. I'm not intimidating. I'm too small to be intimidating. I got that from Mama. We're both too small to intimidate people.

Intense, though, I can understand. People who do not understand the term 'intense' are welcome to watch Mama play the latest installment of Final Fantasy. I'm amazed that the series is still ongoing actually --- Mama gave me the whole history while I was growing up. I knew as much about the various Cids, chocobos and Moogles as I did about Oda Nobunaga and Prince Shotoku. In a way, I had a very well rounded education growing up.

Honestly though, how many times can one save the world? You'd think that a Quest to Revolutionize the World would get old after the third or fourth time, but no. We get reiterations of Bringing Down the Evil Empire/Corporation/Organization coupled with Exploring Huge Maps to find the Magical Thingmajig (several of them, actually) that may or may not help to Take Down the Final Boss. Though with Mama playing, she's always aiming for a 100% completion rate, so Everything is Essential. God forbid if she misses a treasure chest. I swear she has multiple save files at different stages to make sure Nothing Goes Wrong.

I swear Mama plans for everything, even the unplannable. I'm not sure where the line crosses into paranoia, but Mama comes pretty darn close, if she isn't already there. I mean, I'm still not entirely sure how she managed to order Little Aunt to go pick up the copy of the game she pre-ordered months ago...while she was in labor. Honestly! There she was, in the process of bringing me into the world, and she can still remember to tell her sister to Pick Up the Damn Game for her, Or Else. It has since become part of the Takahashi family lore.

Just so you know, it's also my distinct (mis)fortune to share the same birth/release date as the 20th anniversary special edition re-release of some game. I feel so flattered. Really.

But I digress. Then again, growing up with an obsessive-compulsive mother who is eerily goal-oriented might have affected my outlook on things. I like having specific goals to achieve and then figuring out the means to achieving them. And then working towards it. Yes, nothing comes without hard work. Mama taught me that.

And the multi-tasking. Let's not forget the multi-tasking. Here I am, not-scowling, listening to music, having an extended internal soliloquy about the meaning of life (not really), and waiting my turn for an audition that I'm just realizing that I'm totally not prepared for. Nerves. Right. Just nerves.

I'm the only one here who has earpieces still plugged in. Everyone else is clearly frazzled and showing it. I'm just sitting here, expressionless, the seeming picture of calm. Appearances can be deceiving. Then again, Mama was the one who told me something before the first time I ever appeared on stage for anything (I was 5 then).

If you don't have confidence, fake it.

I took that advice to heart. Ran with it. It seems to work. Good genes, Aunt Konno had joked. Mama had smacked her across the back of head for that, then laughed. Strangely, too. To this day, I still don't understand what was so funny about that.

I wasn't really paying attention to the other girls in the waiting room, despite the fact that I perhaps really should. After all, these were my 'competitors'. I should at least scope out what I was against. Then again, my 5-second cursory glance after stepping in did not reveal anything particularly threatening. Though I really should remember my own 'appearances are deceiving' motto and be more careful. But what does it matter? In the end, only my own hard work and performance in front of the judges would matter. If I can impress them, nothing else and no one can get to me. It's kind of like exams. Do or die. Make or break. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I honestly believed that.

Mama always told me that it's not how you fall, but how you pick yourself up. I believe her. Mama is the strongest person I know. She cries at the drop of a hat, gets really upset when she doesn't do things well or right, but she always gets up and tries again. She never ever lets things get her down for long. I want to be like that too.

So I wasn't very impressed by the people who leave the execution ground...I mean, the judges' room, in tears. Most of them looked like they would never again appear in such a place. They probably never would. Aunt Ogawa told me that more than half the aspiring models she had met in the course of her work usually didn't last longer than the first few months. This was not a forgiving industry, and I had no illusions about it. Mama already explained everything involved, with a lot of input from her friends. I knew (kind of) what I was getting into, and I'm not backing down. Even if I fail now, I'll just pick myself up, figure out what went wrong, and then try again after fixing things.

I refuse to lose. Not to others, but to myself. Once I've decided on something, I refuse to let anything stop me. Mama understands that, so she's been really supportive. I'm glad Mama gets it. In a way, I'm doing it for her too, so I want her approval. I don't care if no one else approves, as long as she does. Mama is the most important person in my life, after all.

A loud thud in the general direction of the door leading to Ground Zero (judges' room) draws my attention, and I stop the playback on my MD. As to why I still have an MD, it's my Mama's old one. She has an iPod, but we take turns with it. Sometimes it kind of sucks to have a mother who is tech-savvy. She hogs the computer half the time, and only lets me use it when I have to check something for school. I can't put anything past her. Drats.

I see someone sprawled on the ground next to the wall. No CPR action seems necessary. Tissue would have been useful. No one moves though. Everyone is either staring with morbid fascination, or just staring at the door, waiting their turn.

I look around discreetly. No one was helping the bawling girl. Ok, she wasn't really making a lot of sound, so bawling might not have been quite the right term. Crying her eyeballs out? That seems about right. There was also...a great deal of mucus. Ew. Can I just pass her tissue on the end of a ten-foot pole? Or just throw it at her? No, she might cry more. That would be bad.

I'm not completely heartless, ok? No matter what any of my jealous classmates say. Aloof doesn't mean I don't care. It just means that I'm not very good with the whole 'sharing is caring' thing when it comes to emotions. I don't know other people well enough to let things go so easily, but I'm open with those I'm comfortable with. That counts for something right?

Nevertheless. I happen to have tissue, I happen to be sitting near where Mucus-chan was collapsing into a puddle of tears, and I also happen to have a great deal of experience dealing with crying people. If you have a Mama like mine, you would be prepared too.

I left my coat on top of my bag before stepping over to the unfortunate wreck. Kneeling down to get to eye level with her, I offer her tissue. Wordlessly. Gingerly too. Getting germs was not my first priority. She doesn't notice me at first, so I clear my throat discreetly. She looks up, startled. I don't blame her. The whole atmosphere was generally cold in that room. It was every girl for herself, and to hell with the competition. I'm sure she hadn't expected anyone to help. As for me, I just hated seeing people cry.

"Crying makes you look ugly. That's no good for an idol, right?" I said matter-of-factly. So I might have been a bit blunt, but I seem to have inherited Mama's tact.

She stares at me disbelievingly, then bursts out in an odd combination of tears and giggles. I tilt my head slightly, confused. Did I say something funny?

She takes the tissue, and I withdraw my hand as quickly as I could without coming across as being offensive. There was a slight moment of awkward silence as she blows her nose noisily. I'm not sure what I should do here. Comfort her? I don't even know her name. Ok, I know her last name. The big tag on her chest says MOGI. Funny, wasn't there a game character called Mogu on one of Mama's games? I liked that game. There were dragons. Dragons are cool.

Again, I digress. I look at the girl again, this time with the benefit of having no mucus blocking my view. I was not particularly impressed. From her crestfallen expression to her excessive reaction after coming out from The Room, it was obvious she didn't make it, or else screwed up pretty damn badly inside. Was there something I could say? I don't even know her.

"Ah..." I'm sorry you didn't make it? Try again next time. That sounded oh so sensitive. Really. Not even I'm that tactless.

I probably shouldn't have opened my big mouth. Trying to be nice is going to get me in trouble one of these days. She was looking at me expectantly. Crap, I'm bad at this whole talking thing! Mama, I blame you for this! You must have passed it to me!

Maybe it was the song I had been listening to. That was also Mama's fault. She has an eclectic taste, not to mention an international outlook. One look at her playlist is like looking at a mini United Nations listing. In any case, I would like to state that I was not in my right mind and meant no direct offense. I certainly didn't intend to be mean. Honestly.

Perhaps it was also the fact that the OL in glasses just called my number, and I had to say something quick before I left for my turn. You know, to be polite. Too bad I'm not good at coming up with stuff to say on the fly, so I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"I'm sorry you're so ugly, Mogi."

I was not entirely cognizant of what I just said. My body was already in motion, throwing on my coat and grabbing my bag. I had one hand on the door when my brain caught up with my mouth. Then my ears caught up. I wonder how my senses could be so...retarded sometimes. Surely I could not have failed to miss someone BAWLING for real now?

I mentally replayed my own words. Oops.

Well, too late for regrets. I turned the knob, and stepped into my fate.

=============================================================

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah. :lol:

I totally didn't intend to write this until....the picture. XD

I'll do proper comment replies for the real chapter next time!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:28:42 PM by Estrea »

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
*COUGH*

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS! :wub:
I needed me some Riho-vision and I looll'd so much reading this. Hah! at Konno's good genes comment, I'm still wondering about that.
I wonder if Ai ever felt the need in Riho's "Education" to make her play "just the very most important" of the Final Fantasy games... and of course, her "twin". XD

AWWW... moment when Riho was saying she liked dragons! That's cute. X3

Riho's foot in mouth moment! :rofl: Poor Mogi, once Riho is famous, she can remember how on that day, she was told by a famous celebrity that she's ugly.

I only hope you get more ideas for omake! Maybe one day you can write about Riho, Ai and the GPS. :lol:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:04:20 PM by Kuji »

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
 :lol: :lol: :lol: (yes, I used three emotis in a row. this is to express my pure joy and extreme amusement.)

Amazing what a little demotivation will do to your muse, huh? GJ, Kuji!  :thumbup

RIHO-VISION! What a fantastic little mama's girl. It was full of 'awww' moments for me- its was like a 'things Mama taught me' retrospective. And even upon re-reading with a slightly saner POV, screwed-up as it may be, I still thought it was incredibly sweet and profound.

If you don't have confidence, fake it.
This is me, at life. It really works.

The last part- that was pure Mama, that's for sure.

(Dammit, Essy- I have to work!)

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline eruchan

• ecchi
  • Member+
geeky ai  :lol: riho have to live with a final fantasy-fangirl-mama XD
LOL at ai educating her daughter about the ff world... i'm surprised riho is not named after one of the ff heroine   :P

:lol: the last part... poor mogi

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
You'd think that a Quest to Revolutionize the World would get old after the third or fourth time, but no. We get reiterations of Bringing Down the Evil Empire/Corporation/Organization coupled with Exploring Huge Maps to find the Magical Thingmajig (several of them, actually) that may or may not help to Take Down the Final Boss. Though with Mama playing, she's always aiming for a 100% completion rate, so Everything is Essential. God forbid if she misses a treasure chest. I swear she has multiple save files at different stages to make sure Nothing Goes Wrong.
I would just like to say how true this paragraph is. :lol: :lol:

Riho... Seems to have a bit of a mother complex. XD I mean, I can understand, raised by a single mother and all, how close you can be to your mom, but every thought in this chapter links back to Ai in some way. It's kind of cute. :lol: She really loves Ai.

Poor Mogi. I actually haven't seen that part of the auditions, so I feel that she has reached legendary status in my mind as the Ball O' Mucus Girl. :lol: :lol: I can't really bring myself to see how true it is.

I mentally replayed my own words. Oops.
Oops? That's all she can think? :lol: I'd be thinking, 'Facepalm!'

Offline dark-atrox

• -KOJIPA IKEMEN SUKI DA YO!-
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^_^TOMO-ACCHAN^_^
FF craze Ai-chan is sure funny, though i dont think its possible she can even think about her game during her labour...LOL :nervous
Likey the tactless Riho... :twothumbs

PS: Though I don't like MM that much compared before, I'm still a loyal fan of them...and Riho is my 9th gen fav.  XD
I want a lil sis like that  :lol:

Offline oddball

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Off in the woods........
 :lol: poor Mogi, it's not your fault Riho is a bit to blunt for her own good!  :doh:

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
lol oh my goodness, funny as always essy! XD how on earch can a woman worry about a game while her child wants to enter the world? XD  well thats ai-chan for u XD i can only imagine after she gave birth to riho if she started playing it or something XDDD
and nice riho is nice....until she oppened her mouth XD she really is ai's daughter for sure ^^; i love how u put riho in this story, and at first i was kinda indifrent with her cus i felt she was "too much" but now cus of this story (and the zukkixriho interactions in bijougaku and blogs) i'm starting to like her^^

:thumbsup good job yet again essy and cant wait for teh next part~ X3
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline aya-chii

• ecchi
  • Member+
haha. somehow i found myself thinking the same way your riho does
but not as.. harsh as that XD XD XD that was cruel, very funny.. i say weird thing instead at those times

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Ok since I promised comment replies, here they are!

Chapter 3

kawaii: Yay Sayu-vision! Yes it is. :D If only girls like Riho could be bought in stores...they'd have booming sales all the time. XD Well, we might not have stores that sell Rihos...but at least we have stores that sell kittens. Not as awesome, but still cute. :P

Shiawase: It's Sayu. XD And yeah, who can resist pinching Riho's cheeks? So adorable, that girl! :wub:

eruchan: No mistaking the narcissism. Who else, really? XD Yeah at least Sayu isn't mean out loud, so no one else knows the true depth of her ebilness. XD But yes, Sayu's going to be a senpai...I do fear for the next generation. :lol:

rndy: I like how you concluded the identities of the people involved. XD And I was not cheating! How would I know when your work day starts? :P

Shipyon: Thanks. I'm having a lot of fun writing this too.

Kuji: Yeah Sayu does seem to like Riho doesn't she? Actually she seems to be crazy in love with 9th gen in general...so yeah. XD Let's hope Mogi doesn't actually make it as a successful artist, I'd feel bad for doing this to her then yes that means I don't feel bad for doing this to her now since she's nobody. Heh. XD Let's hope you don't fall asleep again this time! I'm still doing comment replies!

oddball: Lol if that got you thinking of Sayu that way...I apologize to Sayu for tainting her image. :lol: I also wonder if getting Sayu's attention is a good thing for Riho....  XD

aya-chii: Yes it is!

mode107: I also find it hard to believe she made it to top 5. What were those people thinking? Or maybe it was the lack of coffee? But you're right, we should be grateful that she didn't make it in. I wonder about Riho's path too! *has not planned anything and is freewriting* :D

drac: Sayu Cam ON! :D I see an Elizabeth Barrett Browning reference in that line. XD Ah, PedoPredator!Sayu...if you wish to see her say 'defile'...something can be arranged. :D As for marriage proposals...a little incentive to the matchmaker might facilitate the match. ;) :P

Chapter 3.5

Kuji: Thanks to your demotivational poster, this came to pass. XD More Riho-vision for you coming up, well, sorta. XD There should be a Riho-likes-dragons meme or scene somewhere. Cos it's cool. XD And yes, poor Mogi, she just never catches a break, even after failing to make the cut in real life. :lol: Oh, the GPS thing will have to wait until the sequel, I'm afraid...YOU DID NOT SEE THAT!

drac: Riho is an awesome little girl. XD And don't blame me, you didn't have to read it at ungodly hours...you didn't have to be up to read it at ungodly hours. :P

eruchan: Yeah geeky Ai is much love. :wub: It would be kinda sad if Riho was named after an FF heroine. :lol: Not even Ai would do that to her kid I think. And yes, poor Mogi. XD

rndy: I'm a gamer. Nuff said. :P I wonder if that Ai-centric view had been influenced by my own obsession with Ai. XD I won't put it past my subconscious. :lol: Lol I seem to have influenced a great deal of people in the way they see certain people, thanks to my stories. I think Mogi has been immortalized in H!P fanfic (at least here at JPHiP) as the Ball O' Mucus Girl by yours truly. And Riho is the master of understatement. :P

dark-atrox: XD Being in labour is a long process. She probably thought about the game as her water broke or something. :lol: I should write that, really...

oddball: Riho speaks her mind. Sadly. XD Mogi deserved part of that, just not the last part. Blame Kuji for that :lol:

kawaii: Nah, not even Ai would start gaming right after giving birth. XD At least give her a couple of days to get back on her feet. XD I'm glad I was able to help you change your mind towards Riho, if at least a little! She's too awesome to dislike, I think. XD

aya-chii: Cruel and funny, that's our little Riho! or me, really I'm glad I'm making people laugh at least!

Wow that was a lot of work. XD Time to edit and post!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Chapter 4: Talk. Play. Love.

Homework. The bane of a student's existence.

"Glaring at it isn't going to make it go away, Riho-chan," or so her Mama had said before entering the shower. Riho glared at the equations some more, even as her pen scrawled through the sums mechanically. It wasn't fun at all, but she knew she had to get it done.

At least Ai let her listen to music while she did her homework. The earpieces plugged into her ears effectively created a little bubble around her, where she could focus on the (hateful) homework. The music made the ordeal more tolerable. Even though she sort of wanted to get up and dance to it.

Riho eyed the door to her (and her Mama's) room shiftily. Ai had just entered the bathroom less than 15 minutes ago. Riho knew her mother. Ai would take at least an hour in there. Their shared room was a little cramped, but she could clear out enough space to dance. It helped a lot that she was small. It would be easier if she could go out and dance in the hall, but her grandmother could be more of a nag than her mother could ever hope to be.

Riho believed in picking her fights. Getting her ear talked off ranked way below having to do homework in her opinion.

Homework. Riho twirled her pen, letting it oscillate around her fingers for a few seconds before catching it deftly. She wanted to dance, but she couldn't let her grades fall. It was part of a deal she had made with her mother. She didn't have to be the best student, but she couldn't simply just barely pass exams either.

In between maintaining a respectable grade, having good extra-curricular activity records, and auditioning to get into talent agencies, Riho had a very packed schedule. Not that she would have it any other way. If nothing else, she had inherited her mother's impeccable time management skills. If Aunt Konno was right, Ai had managed to juggle being president of the drama society, being part of an award-winning choir, and remaining within the top 20th percentile of her grade during her final year of high school.

"Lord knows how she managed to hide having a relationship from the rest of us too!"

That was the last Konno had to say about it before Ai cut her off. Riho remembered the words clearly though, and kept it to herself. She had made some basic calculations regarding her birth and her mother's age of course. It was very likely that this hidden relationship that her mother had during her final year of high school had resulted in well, her.

"I wonder what my dad would be like..." Riho wondered aloud, absently filling in yet another answer on her homework. Was he older than Mama? If he was, how did Mama get to know him?

More importantly, why did Mama keep it from her friends? That thought had occurred to her before. Maybe it had been an older man after all, and it would have been uncomfortable telling her friends? Riho toyed with the idea that Mama might have had an affair with a married man, but discarded the idea since it made her uncomfortable. Even though it did make a lot of sense. Didn't a lot of dramas have that kind of storyline? Especially the ones that Aunt (Nii)Gaki brought over. Korean dramas. Always with the bastard children.

Riho wondered if she had half-brothers or sisters somewhere, along with her mythical father who was probably either a salaryman or maybe even something cooler, like a travelling photographer or a war journalist. Riho liked those thoughts. Maybe her dad was on a trip doing exciting things somewhere, and didn't know she existed. If he did, he could come back and they could be together as a family, a real family, again.

Riho had been very conscious of how her Mama never came out and said her father was dead. Only that he was not around. She was still young enough to hope that her father would come back to them. It was a very small hope, one that grew smaller with each passing year, but it was there nevertheless.

A drop damped a spot on her homework, and she blinked back the sudden tears. Quickly, she brought the back of her hand up and wiped vigorously. She didn't want her Mama seeing these tears. It would lead to uncomfortable questions for them both. Riho knew her Mama didn't like discussing the topic, and she really didn't want to see her mother near tears and apologizing to her for not giving her a complete family.

It had happened before. Mama had been slightly drunk at the time and revealed a little about her father, about how much she loved him and how sorry she was for not being able to give Riho a family she could be proud of.

Riho always thought that Mama got the last point wrong. She was proud of her family, even without a father. The kids who used to make fun of her for not having a dad didn't matter. Their words stung, but Riho knew how hard her Mama had tried for her sake. She knew how her entire extended family always tried to make sure she had everything they could afford.

She didn't want much though. It was good enough having her family around. Would be better if she had her dad too, but Riho knew that she had to take what she could get.

Grimly, she wiped away the last of her tears. Rubbing at her chin stoically, she set her jaw and wrote another answer. Her pen left a deep indent in the paper.

It was useless thinking about a father she didn't know. Yet Riho could hardly help herself. It was comforting to know that her mother loved him. Riho wanted to know she wasn't an accident, but a product of love. Well, at least Mama loved her. She didn't know about her father, but judging by the way her Mama had talked about it, he probably had no idea she existed. She wanted to believe he would love her though.

Maybe this was a tiny part of the reason why she wanted to become an idol. If she became famous, it would be easier for her father to find her. Then again, he didn't know she existed. But it was nice to think that way. One could not have too much hope.

A soft click at the door alerted her to Ai's return. Riho swallowed nervously. She really hoped her Mama wouldn't notice her reddened eyes. Maybe she could pull a fast one and say that the homework was frustrating.

Not even her oblivious Mama could be that dumb though. Riho resisted the urge to sigh and/or hit her head on the desk. She did notice that Ai had taken a much shorter time in the bath today. Then she noticed the charger at the side of the table.

Ah, her handhelds were out of juice... That explained a lot. The music in her ears did a lot to restore her equilibrium. Riho felt a great deal calmer and in focus now. Funny how a catchy pop-rock tune was calming. It should be exciting, which it was, and that was ironically what calmed Riho. She enjoyed moving along to the music.

She felt her mother pass by behind her, saying nothing. They didn't always talk when together, but they had good conversations. Riho learned how to make conversation with her mother, whereas the fine art of small talk was lost on her. A small price to pay, in her opinion. She could always pick it up somewhere else. Hopefully. Her Mama never seemed to.

The only sounds she could hear were that of the music pounding in her ears. Putting pen to paper stoically, Riho hardly noticed when Ai settled in beside her, neatly plucking out one of her earpieces to listen in on the music. Riho started briefly at that. The loss of input in one ear could be a little jarring for the unprepared.

"Hm, PLAY again," Ai murmured, glancing briefly over at her diligent daughter. Riho half-smiled at that, her eyes drifting upwards to the A4-sized poster she had tacked over the tiny desk in the room. It was her favorite group, though it was perhaps unfortunate that her favourite member was currently in America for personal reasons, leaving the group's activities on hold.

Riho grinned suddenly. She had seen one of the members of PLAY at her audition earlier. She wasn't sure what to think of Michishige Sayumi sometimes, but the real thing was in fact, very cute. Riho wondered if repeating something often enough did in fact make it true.

Ai followed her daughter's gaze to the poster. Riho had wanted a bigger one to plaster one wall with, but Ai had put her foot down. They managed to settle on a compromise, though Riho never understood why her Mama had objected to a bigger poster. It wasn't like Ai didn't like the group; they had gone to a couple of the live shows, even a concert as a treat for Riho's birthday.

"Too bad they're on hiatus now..." Riho sighed aloud, filling in the last blank on her homework. She paused. They had talked intermittently earlier about the auditions, but Riho had forgotten to tell Ai about seeing Michishige on the judges' row.

"Mama, did you know I saw Michishige-san at the auditions just now? She was sitting in."

"Did you?" Ai sounded both distracted and interested at the same time. Riho knew why. The current track playing was one of her mother's favourites.

"Un. She's a lot prettier in person, now that I've seen her up close." Riho's glance scanned across the poster. She liked Kamei-san best, but it was a pity that the woman was not in Japan at the moment. The third person on the poster was the smallest, and also the unofficial leader of the group. Riho had a grudging respect for her. Tanaka-san had a strong voice, and was basically the lead vocalist, though Kamei-san was the better dancer.

"That's good." Ai closed her eyes for a moment. She suddenly opened them again though, and turned to Riho with a raised eyebrow as something obviously just occurred to her.

"Why was she there at your auditions?"

Riho resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she said very slowly.

"Because, Mama, that's the agency that PLAY is contracted to." Riho shot her a look of amused exasperation. "I believe I told you the name before I went."

"You did." Ai grimaced. She just hadn't linked it to the fact that it was the same agency.

"Is there a problem?" Riho asked innocently. Ai pursed her lips, cuffing her kid lightly in the side of the head. It was more of a tap than anything else.

"Finish off the rest of your homework, brat."

That was said with love. Really.

Riho obediently took out the next of her worksheets, though she continued musing aloud.

"I wonder how Tanaka-san looks like in person. I want to see if her eyes are really off-center..."

"They are." Ai replied absently. Riho turned to look at her. Ai returned the gaze a little defensively. "Well, it's kinda obvious on TV, isn't it?"

"So Mama, since you're obviously a fan, who's your favourite in PLAY anyway?" Riho grinned, trying to put off homework as much as possible. It wasn't like they were due tomorrow anyway. "You know I like Kamei-san best."

Ai looked at the poster again. "Dunno." She said after a moment, shrugging nonchalantly.

"You must have some kind of an idea." Riho prodded. Ai ran one hand through her hair, tweaking the ends restlessly.

"I like them all differently. It's hard to explain, they're all cute in their own ways."

Ai then fixed her daughter with an even stare. "Aren't you supposed to be doing your homework, young lady? Don't think you can distract me..."

"Hai hai~" Riho just barely ducked another cuff aimed at her ear, her hand already working industriously on her homework as she laid her chin on the desk. Ai settled for flicking a finger at the back of her daughter's head, making the girl wince and pout most adorably.

Smiling gently down at her child, Ai patted Riho on the head fondly, pressing a kiss into the girl's hair as she stood, snagging both their empty mugs as she headed for the kitchen. Riho would appreciate some hot chocolate before bed.

That was the least Ai could do for her daughter, short of finishing her homework for her. Shaking her head, Ai could barely suppress the small sigh that escaped her lips as she pondered the twist of fate that brought Riho to audition at the same agency as...

Well, never mind that. It wouldn't matter anyway. As long as Riho was happy with this, she would support her daughter's decision. If it was safe, of course. Stardust was a reputable agency, so that was not a problem. In fact, it would be a good place for new talents. Ai had done her research. You didn't think she'd just throw her daughter into the entertainment world without looking it up at all, did you?

"And yet, the first person she has to meet is her, of all people..."

=================================================================

*stretches* Nyan.

I should go check on my laundry now...

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
Oh Riho, I know what you mean about homework! It sucks so bad. D:
But anyway, this chapter was awesome and frustrating at the same time because of the hints at SOMETHING (Ai's remark about Reina's eyes and about Riho meeting HER and also the part about Ai's drunken admission).
Like, which part am I supposed to go with here, author-person!? This headache cure is partially headache inducing too. :doh:
Part of me is thinking, did Ai fake the information she gave Riho about her dad? Seems like a good way to stop a curious kid's questions.

"Sayu, Riho is your daughter." I bet if Sayu heard that, she'd be... really happy. XD But yeah, that's the headache speaking!

I found Riho's thoughts so cute and so realistically childish when it came to her wish for a complete family.
Also, it figures that Riho would pick Eri as her fave. Errrriiiiiiiiiiiiii  :cry:

Okay, now I'm going to reread this. XD One read through isn't really enough to say very much.

Offline aussie

• ecchi
  • Member+
My first comment on this story. Riho isn't my fave from 9th gen (I'm not really all that not into 9th gen yet), but somehow your stories seem to have that strange power to appreciate characters even if they were fictional :lol:

Mama Taka sounds awesome. In her own little way. Plus she has some cool-but-on-crack friends to keep her daughter entertained XD
This chapter is particularly interesting though. Sounds like Ai has some history with the group of rokkies? I hope is was a positive one, I don't like the idea of the rokkies butting heads with Ai :D

(I like the group name of PLAY. Fits the rokkies especially well :lol: )

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Poupee De Cire Poupee De Son Domoto Kyodai 2006-06-18