JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 80kidz - Alt A

Author Topic: Official Nintendo Wii U Thread  (Read 15610 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official Nintendo Wii U Thread
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
Multiple Sources Confirm New Nintendo HD Console

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners at a 3DS press conference in the fall of 2010. "We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third-party software cannot sell in the same volume. We feel a need to have closer ties with our third-party developers from the beginning."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:49:22 PM by Masa »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: [NEWS] New Nintendo HD Console aka HD Wii?!??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
Interesting stuff if true. My biggest question would be with the motion control stuff. If they want third party publishers on board and want to win back the hardcore market, does it mean more games played with a regular controller, or will these games be built with motion control still in mind? I would imagine one of the features people would like is full backwards compatibility with the Wii so I imagine it probably will stick with motion control in some form. But will the hardcore really stick with it when they view motion control as a gimmick?

Nintendo did themselves no favours with the hardcore this generation. Some great games on the Wii no doubt, but simply not enough and the emphasis has been more on the casual market who, predictably, have grown bored with it.

I'm not sure if it really will be greater than the 360 or PS3 though. I'm not doubting that Nintendo have the capibility, after all both of those consoles have about 5 year old architectures behind them, but it costs a lot of money to make consoles like that, and that's why MS and Sony sell their hardware at a loss. Nintendo policy seems that they sell their hardware at a profit. Also the timing is a bit off to me. If the rumours are true then yes they could release it now and maybe get 2-4 years as the most powerful console on the market. But what about when MS and Sony decide to release a new console? The Wii2 or whatever would fall behind yet again. Why not make a slightly more powerful version of the Wii for the time being, reign in those sales for a while, whilst simultaneously working on a console that could fall in line and compete with MS and Sony and truly make it a 3 horse race the next generation comes around?

Still, exciting times ahead. Mario and Zelda in HD?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:35:01 AM by Tuffty »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:08:53 AM »
Whatever they wind up doing, I hope they keep up the quality work. I'd kill to have my Wii back, instead of the PS3 or 360. A Wii with some more processing juice would be nice, but I really don't need a third FPS box.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Wii 2 is coming More details at E3 apparently.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »
Interesting stuff if true. My biggest question would be with the motion control stuff.

According to Ars Technica, the controller will include a touchscreen.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Ahead of its time once again. Maybe in 20 years or so there will be a console to match everything the Dreamcast had.

I'm actually fascinated what this is gonna be and look like. O_o I always get excited when the big new systems come out.

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »
They should just re-release the Dreamcast. I still play mine very regularly.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
I think this is a more apt comparison, actually:

I always felt that the Wii should've been HD capable right from the get-go, and as intrigued as I am about the possible touchscreen controllers, I also feel that the Wii's nunchuk configuration had a lot of potential that wasn't fully realized outside of a few games. Still, with all of the success of this console generation I'm sure Nintendo will put their resources to good use...I just hope they can better attract both the casuals and "hardcore" folks and have a better online system this time around!

Also interesting is that Nintendo's striking first this time around; usually they're the last ones to release a console each generation. But with the current generation lasting quite a while I guess it's to be expected...though I honestly thought the previous generation (PS2/GC/Xbox) could've lasted longer than it did.

This also means my plans to trade/transfer to a black Wii are probably out the window. :lol:
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
A bunch of details on the Wii U were released today.

Nintendo has announced a Wii U release date of December 8 in Japan.

The news was announced by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata during a Wii U webcast on the Japanese Nintendo Direct site, which the company also used to confirm a Wii U price tag of 31,500 yen (£252/$405) for a Premium model and 26,250 yen (£210/$338) for a Basic one.

The Premium model will come with a built-in flash memory capacity of 32GB, a Wii U GamePad, a Wii U GamePad stylus, a Wii U GamePad charging stand, a Wii U GamePad playing stand, a Wii U stand, an HDMI cable, and AC adapters for the system and controller.

The Basic model will offer a built-in flash memory capacity of 8GB, and the same contents as above minus the Wii U GamePad charging stand, Wii U GamePad playing stand and Wii U stand.

Nintendo also announced the first Wii U game prices, with New Super Mario Bros. U and NintendoLand set to be launch titles, plus prices for peripherals like the Wii U GamePad and Wii U Controller Pro.

The Japanese event will be followed up by a broadcast on the Nintendo Europe website at 3 p.m. (UK time), where full UK release and price info for Wii U is expected to be revealed.

The EU broadcast will run parallel with a New York press event where the Wii U US release date is also expected to be announced, with coverage taking place on the region's Nintendo Direct website.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/368008/wii-u-release-date-december-8-in-japan-price-announced/

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
I briefly played the Wii U at the Japan Expo in Brussels.

I'm not really into all the tech details, but I can tell that the graphics looked really good. Granted, I don't a own Wii or PS3, so maybe everything 'next gen' looks good to me haha. Played the new Rayman game which ran smoothly, had tons of action on screen and made good use of the touch screen controller. They also had the a Mario game and Paper Mario, which both looked great as well (both graphics and entertainment value).

However, the Wii U looks pretty big and it's pretty damn ugly. The touch screen controller was lighter than expected, but I'm not convinced by it. Seems like a pain to hold it for extended periods of time. I also had a beef with the wii-mote and that is the location of the 'z-button'. If you hold the wii-mote sideways and you need to press hold the button on the back (which made the character run) you had to push it in a very unnatural direction. It cramped my hand instantly and as a result I kept jumping in the cliffs  :nervous
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:28:50 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the hands-on impressions. I'm giving to a miss unless I see a game I need to play.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:01:06 AM »
You guys in the US will have a chance to play it yourselves when it comes out this Sunday. Anyone planning on picking it up? If so, any launch title games you're looking forward to? Here's the list:

Activision

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Skylanders Giants
    Transformers Prime
    Wipeout 3

Disney Interactive

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

Electronic Arts

FIFA Soccer 13

Namco Bandai

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition

Nintendo

New Super Mario Bros. U
    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
    Nintendo Land
    Sing Party

Sega

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Tecmo Koei

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

THQ

Darksiders II

Ubisoft

Assassin’s Creed III
    ESPN Sports Connection
    Just Dance 4
    Rabbids Land
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
    ZombiU

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Game Party Champions
    Batman: Arkham City — Armored Edition

ZombiU looks the most interesting to me. I'm curious about what ACIII looks like on it as well, to see if there's a noticeable difference between that and the 360/PS3.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:57:28 AM »
ZombiU looks the most interesting to me. I'm curious about what ACIII looks like on it as well, to see if there's a noticeable difference between that and the 360/PS3.

Yeah, it's been criticized for having a lot of multi-platform ports, but if it has the best versions of ACIII, COD:BOII, or Arkham City it would win a lot of cred.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Official Nintendo Wii U Thread
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
Any Wii U owners here? I can't be the only one :panic:

Anyways GBA is coming to Wii U's Virtual Console in April:

Trailer:

I never owned a GBA so I'm pretty excited that I will finally get to play all dem classics. I will def buy Kirby as soon as it comes out :yep:

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
I've had a WiiU since launch - I share it with my BF, here are the games we've accumulated since launch:

Physical format:
Disney Infinity
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZOMBIU

eShop:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
NES REMIX
Game & Wario
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
DuckTales: Remastered
The Cave
Rayman Legends
Lego City Undercover
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Wii KARAOKE U
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know!
Chasing Aurora
Trine 2
Toki Tori 2+
The Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths
RUSH
EDGE
Knytt Underground
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party
Unepic
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
Wii Party U
Just Dance 4

Virtual Console:
The Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Contra III The Alien Wars
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
EarthBound
Super Metroid
Kirby's Adventure
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Balloon Fight

E-SHOP IS FUCKING EVIL, SO MANY COMPLETELY RANDOM DOWNLOADS. "OH LOOK, THERE'S A SALE ON TODAY, LET ME JUST DOWNLOAD ALL OF THESE GAMES; AIGHHHHHT". Jesus. How many copies of Super Mario World does one person need? APPARENTLY AT LEAST 4????!?!?!?!??! .....

And now they're bringing in the GBA games. :| I am not ready.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »
My collection:

Physical format:
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World

eShop:
NES REMIX

Virtual Console:
Contra III The Alien Wars
EarthBound
Kirby's Adventure
Mega Man X2
Metroid Fusion
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I've had a WiiU since launch - I share it with my BF, here are the games we've accumulated since launch:
Whoa! That's quite a collection! I have owned the console since last November. I wasn't super impressed by the launch games so I decided to wait for a game I just couldn't live without. And that game ended up being Super Mario 3D World. Fortunately it did not disappoint and in my opinion SM3DW alone makes Wii U worth owning. It's THAT good.  Anyways even though my Wii U game library is still quite small I've totally fallen in love with the system. My absolute favorite feature is the Off-TV option which is absolutely perfect for NES & SNES games :thumbsup

By the way, is ZombiU worth getting? This one local online store is having a sale and they have a bunch of Wii U games (Epic Mickey 2, ZombiU, Splinter Cell Blacklist, The Smurfs 2) for 10.95€.

E-SHOP IS FUCKING EVIL, SO MANY COMPLETELY RANDOM DOWNLOADS. "OH LOOK, THERE'S A SALE ON TODAY, LET ME JUST DOWNLOAD ALL OF THESE GAMES; AIGHHHHHT". Jesus. How many copies of Super Mario World does one person need? APPARENTLY AT LEAST 4????!?!?!?!??! .....
Shiiiet I know the feeling. Like I already had A Link to the Past for SNES and Wii VC but of course it wasn't enough. Good thing you only have to pay like 1.50€ if you wanna upgrade your Wii VC game. Being able to play the game on the gamepad is totally worth the price.

And now they're bringing in the GBA games. :| I am not ready.
I feel like I already have more games than I have time to play but I don't think I can resist Kirby.... and Metroid... and Mario & Luigi... and the list goes on :sweatdrop:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:32:16 PM by Masa »

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Super Mario 3D World <= I got this for xmas even though I don't have the console :DD

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
By the way, is ZombiU worth getting?

I would say yes. It's one of the most nerve wrecking games I've ever played, and I'm not able to play much of it at a time. I haven't made a lot of progress in it yet, but it is in my opinion one of the most successful zombie games out there. It covers the survival horror aspect of it brilliantly.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 06:29:23 PM »
My latest Virtual Console purchase:

I just started playing but man, I have loved every minute of it so far. Such an intense game and the controls are near perfect. Highly recommended! :thumbsup

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 80kidz - Alt A