JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - One Melody

Author Topic: Monopoly: The Movie  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Setalia

• The Pun Idol
  • Member+
  • Formerly: Charmy, Risuzu
Monopoly: The Movie
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »

Offline chokkan 2

• ecchi
  • Leader ~~~~~~
Re: Monopoly: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
Under the six-year deal, Universal will produce at least four films based on Hasbro's brands, including Monopoly.

eh !?

Offline Mayo

• 真夜中
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »
Well, they had Clue in the 80's, they needed to continue. :P

ava by PlusQ (over at mm-bbs); ueda sig by Pinkosa | #1 drifoy, Tanaka Reina, and Murakami Megumi fangirl

Offline eglue

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
weird....they should make connect 4 the movie. i love that game! haha

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
I have a bad feeling about this.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:17:25 AM »
Lolworthy if nothing else it has to be said.

Offline Fracture

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:43 AM »
That doesn't even make fucking sense.  At least Clue has some identifiable personalities, is Monopoly going to star a car and a hat and a thimble?

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:46:26 AM »
Probably gonna be based on Uncle Moneybags from the lowly streets of Baltic avenue, taking the reading rail road to park place, and finding success on the Boardwalk.  Roadblocks include income taxes, forced to judge beauty pageants for a measly $5, and going to jail.
word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
Ridley Scott Locked into Directing a Monopoly Movie

Way back in August of last year, Ridley Scott mentioned that he was interested in pursuing a film version of the board game Monopoly. At the time we all shrugged it off as just early talk, but now it looks like it's happening. Scott confirms via Hollywood Reporter that he's now officially attached to direct, however many years from now that will be, and has taken on Pamela Pettler (of Corpse Bride and Monster House) to write the screenplay. Universal and Hasbro are both still intricately involved in making sure it turns out well, with Scott pushing for "a futuristic sheen along the lines of his iconic Blade Runner." Initially I might be quick to call this a terrible idea, but under further consideration, maybe I'm just missing the point?

Initially, I could imagine this kind of movie quickly showing up in Wal-Mart bargain bins being sold for $3.99, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. What would be so damned interesting about a Monopoly movie that would make Ridley Scott, the man who brought us Alien, Blade Runner, and Gladiator, excited to direct it? There's got to be something we just didn't think about. Maybe the concept is a lot more expansive and epic than we could ever imagine. It is Monopoly, there are a lot of imaginative ideas that can grow out of a simple board game. Previously Scott said, "somewhere in [the fun of the game] is a hysterically amusing and I think rather exciting film." I really hope he's right about that.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/12/ridley-scott-locked-into-directing-a-monopoly-movie/

Ridley Scott's Monopoly Movie All About Our Economy?

No matter how much I continue to hear about the Monopoly movie, I still feel like it's all just a big hoax, created by Hollywood for no legitimate reason. I can't really imagine that Ridley Scott, the man behind Alien and Blade Runner and Gladiator, would want to direct a movie based on a board game?! Oh, but he does, "I have to direct it," Scott told MTV. In their recent update, Scott and Hasbro's CEO Brian Goldner revealed some interesting thoughts on the direction of the movie and it's modern societal connection - the economy. But is that enough to actually make this into a great movie or instead kill it before it even starts?

"The whole world is about the financial markets," Goldner told MTV. "You can't turn on the news today without understanding the financial markets and what's going on out there." So why not make this movie about that issue as well as the "personal story" contained with the Monopoly experience? Does anyone know what Goldney is talking about besides the status of Hasbro's stock? "[Ridley has] built these great big worlds of imagination," Goldner said. "Combine that with Pamela Pettler who's writing this great script about real people kind of playing a real-life game of Monopoly, not the board game, although they're icons of the game. And then you really get the idea why this story could make sense right now."

I get a feeling that this reminds me a lot of The Day the Earth Stood Still, and how they tried to connect that movie to the current concern over our environment. So it sounds like Hasbro and Universal want to capitalize (pun intended) on our recession and make a movie that hits home with audiences because it deals with money. We'll let Ridley Scott, who seems to have lost his edge over the last few years, explain why it could be good. "We have identified a pretty good story and it is fundamentally a movie, not a game, probably describing in a way the characters in the film, the passion of the game, and how the game came about."

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not sold yet. I think Ridley has a lot of work to do before he can convince me that this isn't just a big gimmick designed to capitalize on our ailing economy.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/03/02/ridley-scotts-monopoly-movie-all-about-our-economy/

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - One Melody