JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Tomo Yo

Author Topic: Bullying in the Japanese Military  (Read 2309 times)

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Bullying in the Japanese Military
« on: June 30, 2005, 01:22:01 AM »
You'd think that they'd have more discipline about this sort of thing.  And with how the Japanese are so big on personal "honour," it doesn't really make sense as to how bullying would be allowed to happen (at least not to me, anyway).

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline CD-Rose

• Master Vader
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 09:08:50 PM »
I've known that Japan has always had the highest suicide rate in the world, most Japanese solve their problems with suicide, you could say it's part of their culture that goes back to Feudal Japan, with Shogun ordering suicides to Samurai, prisoners and even other family members, it was an honorific way to die. In many ways this has carried over to the way of life that is Japan today, not in a so obvious way but its there.

This reminds me on an Independent film I saw called "Doki-Doki", I don't want to ruin the story but a young girl in it found her life difficult with friends at school and her poor relationship with her family, that she considers suicide as a solution to her problems.

あっぱれ あっぱれ
キスして GATO
HIT PARADE HIT PARADE
恋愛メドレー

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:07 PM »
wow that's pretty sad. can't believe 1 out of 2000 commit suicide, again that's pretty sad.

imo suicide is not the answer. i mean what happens after that i don't know, could be something even worse than what you were going through, you might start a new life....it's all one big mystery. it would be better just seek help or something.

R.I.P. Kyle, already missing you man.........

Offline Hamasaki_Yoshizawa

• 吉澤の用心棒
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 08:53:48 AM »
Yes, like CD-Rose said [Welcome BTW :)]

Basically, it's tradition [something passed down through generation to generation].

Offline wakko

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 11:38:58 AM »
Just for your interest, Japan does have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, but not THE highest. Not even close. Check out the numbers here.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/
http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/en/Figures_web0604_table.pdf

Offline CD-Rose

• Master Vader
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 07:12:34 PM »
Quote from: Hamasaki_Yoshizawa
[Welcome BTW :)]

Thank you, I'm glad to be here.

I have watch a lot of public television series on Japan, from the "Kamikaze Fighters of W.W.II", "The Memoirs of a Feudal Japan" and "Modern Life in Japan." And suicide was always mentioned to be a spiritual and holy death. At the time I saw these, Japan did once have the overall highest suicide rate, but I guess times change.

On an interesting note, I also saw a special on the corrupt world of the Mafia in Europe and the cover up to make most murders look like suicides, so maybe just maybe....

あっぱれ あっぱれ
キスして GATO
HIT PARADE HIT PARADE
恋愛メドレー

Offline Kurokaze

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 11:31:27 PM »
no different when your CO tells you to march towards a turret machinegun so your comrades behind you can use you as body armor.
at least that way he gets an "honorary" death.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ANGERME - Tomo Yo