JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rainie Yang - Que Yang

Author Topic: The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi Thread --> Spoilers/Results inside!  (Read 15280 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
Re: The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi Thread --> Spoilers/Results inside!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »
Super G was pretty exciting. A medal for Bode after all, albeit a shared bronze one.

We came, we skated, we won.

Oops, we did it again!  :lol:

Well, this is getting boring:

These top three girls are also skating in the Team Pursuit, so that should be a piece of cake as well.

I'm happy Ter Mors won though. She recently lost her father and she finished 4th (ouch) on the short track finales yesterday!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
We came, we skated, we won.

Oops, we did it again!  :lol:

Yeah...winning medals is totally dulls-ville. You guys must be really wishing that your speed skaters weren't just one-trick ponies.
:roll:  :P

:canada: takes on :finland: in the last preliminary/round-robin game in about 30 minutes. Unfortunately I'm going to miss it because I've got to go to a baptism for my friends' second child (and no, unfortunately I cannot skip it/show up late; seeing as how I got roped into being one of the godfathers).

It's a shame that Zetterberg's back injury has forced him to withdraw from the tournament. Hopefully team Sweden can rally in his absence.

At any rate, after today the elimination matches start, and we really start to see the shit hittin' the fan.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline TeriyakiBoi

• Member+
  • Fantasy Football Champion (3 in 5 years)
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 07:11:48 PM »
I think it's safe to say after the Russians lost to the U.S. in hockey that "Putin's on the Ritz"

"Chicks dig the long ball" - Greg Maddux

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
Yeah...winning medals is totally dulls-ville. You guys must be really wishing that your speed skaters weren't just one-trick ponies.
:roll:  :P

Of course winning medals is fun. But honestly, the way it's been going is not much fun and bad for the sport in general.
The 1000m for women was great, because it's a super close battle between China, Korea, Rusland, the Netherlands, etc. etc.
We just got another clean sweep. That makes 4x during one Olympics and that's just not normal.

They might even considering canceling the 10K because there were only 14 people participating.
Personally I'd rather see the 100K with 30+ people at the start line instead.

All that aside, this 10K for men just now was legendary. the might Sven Kramer started too quickly and lost the race. Holy crap.
Massive props to Bergsma who set a new OR. Also props to de Jong who won his 4th medal in his 5th Olympics (!).
As you may re-call, Kramer got disqualified four years ago and lost the gold. This year he failed again. This will become an obsession.

edit: oh, and a big FU to Baumgartner for bad sportsmanship.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
They might even considering canceling the 10K because there were only 14 people participating.
Apparently, some people have been hearing similar rumors for women's hockey. Since Canada and the U.S. have clearly the 2 dominant powers in the sport so far, if other countries aren't able to step up their women's teams soon, they may just scrap it until they're able to field more competitive teams.

Offline +u+u

• Member+
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
Silver, gold and beating Russia in hockey. Such a great day  :finland:

Offline TeriyakiBoi

• Member+
  • Fantasy Football Champion (3 in 5 years)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
I think after Russia's elimination from hockey, the Kremlin might be going after Ovechkin and the other Russians who play in the NHL.  I guess you could say that they were "Finnished"?
"Chicks dig the long ball" - Greg Maddux

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 03:57:49 AM »
As a Canadian, I'm really concerned about our team's chances after having seen them struggle (IMO) against Latvia today in one of the other men's hockey quarter-finals. On paper, the difference in talent was grossly in our favor, and one would've thought/expected a bit of a blowout today, especially considering the fact that Latvia was still somewhat fatigued after having just played the previous night when they upset the Swiss team.

But give the Latvians credit, they stonewalled pretty much each of our guys in one-on-one or two-on-one type of situations, preventing them from really establishing any major swings of momentum. And HOLY SHIT their goalie was playing like a man possessed! We threw over 50 shots at him over the course of the game, and you could tell that he was, by far, the hardest working player on either team. During the last half of the 3rd period, all issues about the actual score aside, the CBC's commentators were expressing concern (and rightfully so) that the poor guy might be dehydrated, if not on the verge of passing out from exhaustion.

At any rate, we were eventually able to squeak a winning goal past him, and so now Canada moves on to the semi-finals, where we'll see a rematch of the 2010 Gold medal game by facing the Americans. Now the Americans were definitely the stronger team in their quarter-final match against the Czech Republic, so yeah, they've undoubtedly got the momentum to potentially knock us out of the finals. When you compare the American team's performance with the one that Canada put on today, Canadian fans should definitely be concerned.

In other news, at least both Canada's men's AND women's curling teams will be playing in their Gold medal matches.  :thumbup :thumbup

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »
It was just like that last Olympics too. Canada struggled in group play got taken to the wire in the semis while the US rolled through everyone until the epic finals match. You have to turn it on when you need it in tournaments, plus US plays more into Canada's style and has no Miller going crazy this time. : P

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Congrats to the Swiss Women's Hockey team on winning the Bronze medal game today!
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/ice-hockey-women-s-bronze-medal-game-02

Crazy that their player that scored what would eventually prove to be the game-winning goal is only 15 years old! :shocked:  If they have more young players that are as good as her, it could bode well for them (and for women's hockey in general) in the future.  :thumbsup

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
So close for the U.S. women :lol:

Congrads to the Canadians for the women's hockey gold

The battle for North America and Nordic Countries tomorrow :fap :twothumbs :twothumbs
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
So Canada now has Gold for Women's Curling and Women's Hockey! :rockon:

Now we just need their male counterparts to step up to the plate and do the same. :)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »
Kim YuNa got robbed.  That's my personal opinion.  The Koreans won't forget it, so expect payback in 2018.  Funny how the US Men's Hockey Dream Team gets nowhere near the hype as the basketball team

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »
Sweden wins the first men's hockey semi-final. :sweden: 

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
Terrible game that lacked all of the three most important qualities in hockey:

1. Finland winning
2. Sweden losing
3. Great hockey

All that powerplay, pissed away...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 03:59:23 AM »
And Canada somehow manages to hold off the Americans to take the other semi-final!  Sunday's gold medal game is gonna be like meatballs and maple syrup!!! :w00t:

And on top of that, we bumped up our overall medal total with 4 medals!!! :rockon:
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/medals-today?country=CAN&sport=all&gold=yes&silver=yes&bronze=yes&date=02.21.2014

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:00 AM »
I feel bad for this guy. I mean, leading all the scorers in the tournament, losing a tight one to Team Canada, his sister's medal this year is higher place than his (if he gets one), AND he plays for the Maple Leafs.  8)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
^
That's even more painful now that Finland just smoked them 5-0 to take the Bronze medal.
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/ice-hockey-men-s-bronze-medal-game-02  :sweatdrop:

Next question is, seeing as Twitterverse has seen the #f***Canada hashtag a lot from angry/upset American hockey fans over the last couple of days, will it soon be overtaken by a #f***Finland one?

:finland:

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Balsam for the wounds. Now that was entertaining hockey, and doesn't hurt that Finland dominated. :finland:

Also a great (international) farewell game for Teemu Selänne with two goals scored. You da man.  :bow:

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rainie Yang - Que Yang