JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Buono! - Honto no Jibun

Author Topic: The Girl Rock Thread  (Read 46824 times)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »
I love Japanese girl bands. Ever since back in 03 when I discovered Zone for the first time. And I know lots of others here love them too.

What I concider a girl band is pretty much any band with a strong female pressence in it. Not all members have to be female, it just has to sound like it could be :P (not including male vocals that are as high as a female's ie. rin toshite shigure)

There seems to be threads for lots of individual bands already so I thought this thread would be pretty useless.

But I also thought that since the individual threads don't really get much posts and there are just so many bands out there that I don't want to make threads for, I could just make this thread. but I don't really know what others would feel about it.

So in the end I just made a thread test the waters. If it doesn't get much attention or people don't like it, it'll probably just die anyways. (like all my other threads >_>)

*end prologue*

Anyways,

One band that I just got into today was Nakanomori Band.

I knew about this band for quite a while but for some reason never got into them. I just dled their new album, "Do the Rock" and I really like it. It's very poppy but they also really know how to rock.

I have to say though, most of the members aren't really that cute >_> but Ayako Nakanomori is really hot! I also fell in love with her voice. She's not the best singer, but her voice is just perfect for the music and just has this power and feeling to it.

The album is up for torrent on jpopsuki if anyone's interested.
(I just noticed there was already a thread for them :lol: )

Another band that I absolutely adore, but I don't see mentioned much is Chatmonchy, I've liked pretty much everything they've released so far. Really cute stuff, but also pretty mellow.

I guess if there's any news that you'd like to share, or just anything about a particular girl band, you can post it here. Of course if the band has their own thread, you can just post it there.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:13:35 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:24:23 PM »
Oh~ my sig! chatmonchy's debut album Miminari is definitely one of my favorites from this year. I really like them. Solid songs with catchy hooks. Hana no Yume is what got me into them. Really cute too. Probably my favorite girl band right now, along with Pinpan, who also really impressed me with their followup album Pxx&Axx. They're completely on different sides, though :lol:

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »
Chatmonchy are great. The only flaw as I see it now is that they're in the need of another guitarist during live performances, since there are clearly two guitars playing in most of their studio songs. They're still great, though. Oh, and Eriko is teh cute~

I also like Orange Plankton. They're leaning more towards the pop side, but they have bits of rocky elements in them... with fucking adorable vocals. :P Too bad they disbanded earlier this year.

PARANMAUM would've made a great band, I wish they weren't temporary. :O

Offline wakaba_doll

• kakkoi☆
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • forever...
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »
I love Girl Rock bands too! :heart: Hm... I really like Suitei Shoujo, which is a fairly obscure group. Their first album, 16~sixteen~, could be considered mainly pop, but their second album, 17's Heaven, is pretty rock-ish^^ If anyone is interested in listening to them, I have both albums that I can upload :heart:

Offline HiME

• ecchi
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:11:29 PM »
J-rockers/punk girls, my delight. <3

I mostly listen to indie bands though, and especially to those under the Benten Label. My ultimate favorite band is 54 Nude Honeys (under a French/European indie label now), man they fukken rock. I can't get enough of them. I discovered them on TV. Yeah! Japanese indie bands in MY TV?! NO WAI!
They were touring in France, and they played live on TV to promote their album, their tour, and also because of the Printemps de Bourges, a big & famous musical event. They played live "Where is Love?", and I instantely fell in love with them. Even though i was shocked that i didn't know already such a great band with such hot chicks :lol:

Otherwise, my favs are: (not i order) Gito Gito Hustler, Shonen Knife, Super Egg Machine, Red Bacteria Vacuum, Concon Jump, Mummy The Peepshow, Strawberry Jam, Keihan Girl, The 5.6.7.8's, Danger Gang, Aina Ougi (singer), some Lolita No. 18 stuff (Masayo's voice really bugs me -- the cover of "Video killed the radio star" is teh shit though.), etc etc etc...

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 06:36:18 AM »
Quote from: HiME;249002
Otherwise, my favs are: (not i order) Gito Gito Hustler, Shonen Knife, Super Egg Machine, Red Bacteria Vacuum, Concon Jump, Mummy The Peepshow, Strawberry Jam, Keihan Girl, The 5.6.7.8's, Danger Gang, Aina Ougi (singer), some Lolita No. 18 stuff (Masayo's voice really bugs me -- the cover of "Video killed the radio star" is teh shit though.), etc etc etc...

I only know like half of the bands you mentioned, and they're pretty awesome. I'll have to check out more of them.

I've heard of suitei shoujou. They sang the ending theme to Ju-on I think. I think they also sang a theme for One Piece. I never concidered them a band since they don't play any instruments, but some of their song aren't bad, haven't listened to them in years though. They were supposed to be like the Japanese TaTu. :lol:

Also if you'd like you can share some of the stuff you like, and I guess also make requests :P.

To start things off, I upped a Pop Chocolat album. They sorta have a similar style to chatmonchy, but I guess a little poppier and even more mellow :lol:. They seem to be pretty obscure.

I can't find their 2nd mini album though :/

http://popchocolat.com/

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dh0ia4

Offline aznanimedude

• Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:12:13 AM »
if you liked ZONE try out MARIA, they've got maiko from ZONE headlining and their songs don't sound half bad

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 07:04:45 AM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;249430

To start things off, I upped a Pop Chocolat album. They sorta have a similar style to chatmonchy, but I guess a little poppier and even more mellow :lol:. They seem to be pretty obscure.

I can't find their 2nd mini album though :/

http://popchocolat.com/

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dh0ia4

Thanks for this.

Gito Gito Hustler is quite nice. I listened to one of their albums earlier today.

I upped a Whiteberry album. I think most people have at least heard of them.
They have a similar sound to Judy and Mary.

Whiteberry - Chameleon

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:10:22 PM »
I thought I made a post about the whiteberry before I went to sleep last night... but now it's gone...

Anyways...

Thanks for this! Been trying to get some whiteberry stuff off share for months but none of it ever finished. :/

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 07:24:15 AM »
Bump~

Sony updated with new photos from a few chatmonchy shows on their Miminari tour.

Her amp sits on a Budweiser crate.

Anyone know what kind of amp the green one is?

Offline wakaba_doll

• kakkoi☆
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • forever...
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:50:29 PM »
Has anyone heard of Mi?

I happened to stumble across them in one of my random Internet searches (yah, I get really bored XD LOL) I don't know too much about them, except wiki says they are a 3-member pop/punk girl band under the Columbia music label. They also have 6 singles, 1 full-length album, and 1 cover album of 80's hits :heart:

Members
MAIKA - vocals
AYA - keyboard
YURI - bass

Anyone who has more information or music of theirs, please share! :heart: I think they sound pretty cool^^

Offline donkeykong83

• ecchi
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 03:14:42 AM »
Quote from: wakaba_doll;263710
Has anyone heard of Mi?

I've pretty much heard everything by them. They're more pop/rock. Kinda like ZONE. And they're good.
They were also on Avril Lavigne's tribute album that was released a few months ago with a few other artises such as misono, YUKI, Sonim, Aiko, etc.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 04:25:00 AM »
Mi is nice, I like their sound. More towards the pop side, but its nice. I really liked their cover of Give Me Up.

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 04:43:23 AM »
Can someone please upload some samplers of these bands? :MKcry2:

I totally missed out on this thread :MKsniffle:

Offline aedon

• Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
Quote from: donkeykong83;263831
I've pretty much heard everything by them. They're more pop/rock. Kinda like ZONE. And they're good.
They were also on Avril Lavigne's tribute album that was released a few months ago with a few other artises such as misono, YUKI, Sonim, Aiko, etc.

Can you share it please? Or just the Sonim song? ^^;

絶 望 も 希 望 も な い 空 の よ う に 透 き 通 っ て い た い

Offline donkeykong83

• ecchi
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »
Quote from: aedon;263986
Can you share it please? Or just the Sonim song? ^^;

I have that in my hard drive.
Sonim - Anything But Ordinary

I might upload the whole album at one of those trackers if I can just remember where I saved it. Don't even know if I've deleted it or not.

EDIT:
Quote from: aedon
^ Thanks a million!  I hope you won't mind if I'll post it in Sonim's thread? A mirror, of course
No problem. :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:31:10 PM by donkeykong83 »

Offline aedon

• Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »
^ Thanks a million! :bow: I hope you won't mind if I'll post it in Sonim's thread? A mirror, of course.

絶 望 も 希 望 も な い 空 の よ う に 透 き 通 っ て い た い

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 04:39:27 AM »
Quote from: boykun;259970

Anyone know what kind of amp the green one is?

tis this

http://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/match23_c30.html

it's a $3600 amp o_o

I've also seen her use a JMI 30/4 or 6
http://www.jmiamplification.com/h1.htm
which are around $4000

along with the orange amp

she must be rolling in money to afford this stuff

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
Damn, thats expensive; and small o_o; I've seen the JMI on their recent Shangrila tv performances.

I do like her tone, though. They must be pretty nice.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Girl Rock Thread
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 07:20:11 AM »
While we're on chatmonchy, here's their indie mini album, about half of it is unreleased so enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7nkimhtzrnf

They have become really popular in japan. They even have wota >_> esp. Ecchan, who many concider to be moe :lol: but I think some of that is a play on a blog entry where it said on a pic that she was, it was explained on the chatmonchy japanese wiki page.

She is so cute though and I wouldn't disagree with the wota. :P But some of it is pretty creepy talk as if they were talking about idols and stuff. It's  kinda sad as I can see some backlash from non-wota fans :/

Oh and for the musicians, sheet music of their full-length was released
http://www.gakufu.ne.jp/detail/view.php?id=78333

I tried to get a couple of the songs by ear on guitar, but I can't get most of the chords >_>. (I'm way to used to playing power chords from punk bands lol)

Also for the other guitarists, I have an mp3 of the bass and drum track to hana no yume if anyone wants to try to play along to it.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Buono! - Honto no Jibun