JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nakagawa Shoko - Mitsubachi no Sasayaki

Author Topic: The Horror Movie Thread  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The Horror Movie Thread
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
Re: The Horror Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
Legion looks insane.

I like intriguing horror movies like The Ring and most Asian horror movies, not simple slasher flicks.  It takes me a while to watch though, cuz I'm such a pussy. :ph43r:  One movie I really want to watch is Pulse (the original one). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286751/

I started watching this on OnDemand, not knowing what it was about.  I turned it off not even a full 15 min into it cuz I got too creeped out (it was in the middle of the night and I was all alone).  >.>;;;;

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
I like a good horror film :3 Well, psychological thrillers the most. If anyone knows good psychological thrillers, I'd like to hear recommendations :D

I liked The Tale of Two Sisters, a Korean movie...
The Japanese ones like Ju-On have creeped me out the most.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
I like a good horror film :3 Well, psychological thrillers the most. If anyone knows good psychological thrillers, I'd like to hear recommendations :D
Kubrick's The Shining!

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
i loooooove horror movies, but im not really scared by shit anymore so i think most of them suck now days lol. ill catch shit for this but, the last movie that really scared me was The Happening. i was so fucking freaked out by it cus its like... a real life situation. the earth turning against us and shit, and just...fuck creepy man! plants killing us and shit, goddamnit lol. (this was not at all sarcastic). I find real life shit more scary than vampires or psychotic sorority-killers or weird creature shit...

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »
Real life shit is way more scarier. Cuz it can fucking happen again!!

I love me some Halloween movies. Micheal Myers for some reason is cool to me
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
Real life shit is way more scarier. Cuz it can fucking happen again!!
Dude! You're a zombie so of course real life is scarier for you. Your life is prolly one big horror movie XD

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:57:06 PM »
Stephen King Has Been Working on a Sequel to The Shining?

This isn't exactly news, but it's quite an earth shattering thought that could end up shaking cinema to the core. Recently The Torontoist attended an event where author Stephen King treated fans to a 15-minute reading from the author’s new novel, Under the Dome, as well as a candid interview chock full of stories passed in an on-stage interview with Eastern Promises director David Cronenberg. In this interview, King shocked fans when he began casually describing an idea for a new novel only to slowly reveal that it was his concept for a sequel to The Shining, the original novel that spawned Stanley Kubrick's classic horror film.

Apparently the follow-up, referred to as Doctor Sleep, is something King has been working on since last summer where (spoilers for those who have neither read the book, nor seen the film) he's continued the story following Danny Torrance (the creepy "redrum" kid from the original) who was last seen recovering from his ordeal at the Overlook Hotel at a resort in Maine with fellow survivors Wendy Torrance and chef Dick Halloran (who actually dies in the film, but not the book).

In King's still tentative plan for the novel Danny is now 40 years old and living in upstate New York working at a hospice for the terminally ill. Danny’s occupation has him visiting with patients who are just about to pass on to the other side, and to help them make that journey with the aid of his mysterious powers. Meanwhile he also has a sideline in betting on the horses, a trick he learned from his buddy Dick Halloran.

From The Torontoist, "King remarked that though he ended his 1977 novel on a positive note, the Overlook was bound to have left young Danny with a lifetime’s worth of emotional scars. What Danny made of those traumatic experiences, and with the psychic powers that saved him from his father at the Overlook, is a question that King believes might make a damn fine sequel. I can't help but disagree on every level possible.

The Shining is a truly great horror film (and novel) that has stood the test of time, and should be left the hell alone. Why can't we let a story stand alone and not try to pick it up and run with it again. Some stories end, and in many cases, for the better, no matter how ambiguous, depressing or happy that ending may be. Fortunately all this talk from King is still only talk at this point, and the author even said himself, "Maybe if I keep talking about it I won’t have to write it." Don't be afraid to speak volumes, Mr. King… please. So while we never may see this turned into a movie, the story is out there, and maybe coming to bookshelves soon.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/11/24/stephen-king-has-been-working-on-a-sequel-to-the-shining/

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29:56 AM »
Saw Paranormal Activity, not very scary.  But okay.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
I just this movie today, it's pretty good.

Anyway, I just made a review of it on my blog, so instead of writing everything again, I'll quote myself and add some more:

This night I was looking into some way to get some chills, so I looked in the internet for some horror movie. And this is what I’ve found: Forbidden Siren or simply サイレン.

Before talking about the movie itself, it’s interesting to mention that this movie is based on the series of games Siren which were released for the Playstation 2. Normally games adapted to movies go really wrong, or when we are lucky enough, don’t simply don’t suck.
This only, luckily, is even better!

It starts with a girl called Yuki, her father and her younger brother. On arrival, she finds the residents to be slightly bizarre. She is even more perplexed when a neighbor tells her about some strange rule of the island, and that most people follows, which is: Never go outside when the sirens are sounding.

Overall I liked it very much! It didn’t have to throw at me any cheap scares. Instead it created a nice mood that kept making me tense as the movie kept going. Not only that, but I also felt the plot was good, especially towards the end where you really couldn’t tell what would happen.

Far from being what made me scared the most (Fatal Frame 2, anyone ?), this movie is a fresh horror after watching so many “horror” movies that not only didn’t made me scared but caused more laughs that I had wished for.

(In case anyone is wondering what movies I’m talking about, they are ‘Drag me to hell’ and ‘Paranormal Activity’, easily the two worst motion pictures I had the displeasure of watching in 2009, probably in the last decade)
Link, in case anyone wants to check out other things I've written: http://finalfrenzy.hostse.com/

But on to the movie. Like most asian horrors, it starts pretty slow, but instead of suddenly changing from black to white, it builds itself slowly, creating a good feel.
And for anyone who's been lucky enough to play the game, there are some moments that do remind you of it.

the production values are somewhat poor, but honestly, we don't need a high production to make a horror movie about people that go to a crappy isolated island inside Japan and besides, it works quite well for the movie.

If anyone becomes interested, I'll post later the link were I have downloaded it, it's only 300mb after all !

Offline whiteleppard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:27 AM »
Huge fan of zombie movies.  Not the fast ones like return of the living dead, but the george romero ones. 

Offline cecelialorene

• Hello Mr. Perfect, You Met Me...
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:09:53 PM »
thanks to the ability to watch stuff by myself, and courtesy of netflix watch intstantly option just watched three horror (ish) films that i enjoyed. they were:
the red shoes
thirst
and
arang.

all three were goood and thirst is actually a vampire movie. lol highly recommend it. and for some reason i found song kang ho strangely sexy.

arang is more of a detective type of story but still has horror deeply tied into it [based on a traditional tale]

and the red shoes was creepy. lol
is this thread dead?

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 12:30:53 AM »
I'm 90..no....100% sure that this is the worst movie title of all time

Going along with the new trend in dropping a digit into the title (i.e. Scre4m), Bloody Disgusting learned that Warner Bros. Pictures and New Line Cinema have tentatively set the title of their fifth Final Destination to: 5NAL DESTINATION. It's gets better, we've got confirmation that the opening disaster involves a suspension bridge collapsing. Boom! There you have it. Now talk. Penned by Eric Heisserer (The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street), Steven Quale (James Cameron's right-hand man; read more) will be getting behind the camera this September with the film slated for release in 3-D on August 26, 2011.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20744

Offline Cardcaptor Jim

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »
I grew up watching old, black and white horror movies, such as the Universal classics.  FRANKENSTEIN (1931) is the movie I saw as a boy that I give credit for turning me into a horror fan!  :)  But as I got older, and finally moved out of my parents house and bought a TV and a VCR, I finally got a chance to rent all those R rated films I couldn't see at home.  (My parents hate horror, but I could watch old horror sometimes, and when my parents were gone from the house.)  I eventually got tired of a lot of American films because some of them are lame.  They're more about special F/X and gore, nudity and dumb characters than an actual story with scary scenes.  So I got turned on to Eurohorror, or European horror films.  Italian and Spanish films were mostly what I started watching.  Now I'm a fan of Dario Argento, "Joe D'Amato" / Aristide Massaccesi, Lucio Fulci, "Paul Naschy" / Jacinto Molina Alverez, Amando De Ossorio and other directors.  ("Paul Naschy" is an actor, writer and director.)  I'd recommend to people who haven't seen their films the following....

Dario Argento: SUSPIRIA, THE CAT O'NINE TAILS, PHENOMENA and DEEP RED.
Aristide Massaccesi: BEYOND THE DARKNESS, ANTHROPOPHAGUS, ROSSO SANGUE and the sci-fi / action movie ENDGAME.  For fans of silly fantasy films, I'd recommend the ATOR movies.
Lucio Fulci: ZOMBIE, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD and MANHATTAN BABY. 
Paul Naschy: WEREWOLF SHADOW, CURSE OF THE DEVIL and THE BLUE EYES OF THE BROKEN DOLL.
Amando De Ossorio: THE BLIND DEAD series (four films), starting with TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD. 
My favorite version of FRANKENSTEIN was the Swedish-Irish film TERROR OF FRANKENSTEIN. 

I haven't watched too many Japanese horror films, other than GODZILLA movies  :D, but I did like JU-ON better than the American remake THE GRUDGE.       
Akari Saho Forever!

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »
i'm kinda interested in seeing that hyenas movie (werewolves but hyenas instead - werehyenas?  :nervous ) i see it whenever i pass the red box kiosk at 7eleven and if i remember correctly chris gore said it was a rent...only problem is i really have to be in the mood to sit thru a movie - sitting there watching a movie for 2 hours makes me feel like i didn't do anything and wasted time, where playing videogames or being online, i'm doing something (not necessarily anything particularly constructive but i'm still doing something)

Offline pocky

• Ψ(AnA)(^∀^)(isiD)Ψ
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 旅に出ます。探さないで下さい。
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
for some reason i found song kang ho strangely sexy.
omg me too :O after i watched thirst i was like, "well damn....i think im in love" lol

thirst is probably my favorite Korean horror movie :)

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nakagawa Shoko - Mitsubachi no Sasayaki