JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Hadashi no Megami

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 550731 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #2060 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Report: Hall of Famer Patrick Roy to be next head coach of Colorado Avalanche
Tuesday, 05.21.2013 / 12:55 AM / News
The Canadian Press

DENVER - Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy is reportedly on the verge of being the next head coach of the Colorado Avalanche.

A report posted on the Denver Post's website Monday night says Roy's younger brother, Stephane Roy, leaked the impending announcement.

"They're discussing the final details of an arrangement," Stephane Roy told the denverpost.com. "Colorado is going to be very happy. Patrick is looking for a new challenge."

Patrick Roy would take over from fired Joe Sacco, who was let go after Colorado finished this season last in the Western Conference with a 16-25 record.

Roy played in Colorado for eight seasons before retiring in 2003. He won a Stanley Cup with the Avs in 1996 and 2001.

After retiring, the 47-year-old bought into the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, becoming vice president of hockey operations and then their head coach in 2005. Roy led the Remparts to a Memorial Cup victory the following season.

Roy would be reunited with former teammate and fellow Hall of Famer Joe Sakic, who became the vice president of hockey operations on May 10.

Stephane Roy told the Denver Post that Sakic has been at Patrick's home in Florida the last few days working out the arrangements.

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671329

Just based on his history with the franchise, this can potentially be a really good move by the Avs, if for no other reason than to draw the fans back to the games.  Given the young talent that they've got, with the right coaching they can be a possible cup contender in 2 or 3 seasons.
:yep:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2061 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
Posting this here because it involves a former member of the first incarnation of the Jets.  :twothumbs

Predators hire Housley as assistant coach
Tuesday, 05.21.2013 / 4:53 PM / News

The Nashville Predators on Tuesday hired Phil Housley as an assistant coach.

Housley recently helped the United States win a bronze medal as an assistant coach at the 2013 IIHF World Championship. Predators general manager David Poile serves on the USA Hockey national team advisory board and helped assemble this year's team.

"Phil brings a unique skill set to our coaching staff," Poile told the Predators' website. "He was one of the most talented offensive defensemen to play in the NHL, and he has worked extensively with young players during his coaching career. He will continue to focus his efforts on our young defensemen and assisting on the power play."

Housley had been coaching high school hockey in Minnesota. He also coached the U.S. team to the gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship in Russia in January, and coached one of the teams at the inaugural USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game in September 2012.

He replaces Peter Horachek, who was fired Tuesday.

"A coach with history as a defenseman who was offensively gifted and excelled on the power play is something we have never had on our coaching staff," Predators coach Barry Trotz told the team's website. "His insight and viewpoint will bring a fresh perspective to our team."

Housley is fourth all-time among NHL defensemen with 338 goals and 1,232 points in 1,495 games with eight teams.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671521

EDIT: And in a move that was not totally unexpected after being booted from the playoffs in the first round for 2 seasons in a row...
Canucks fire Vigneault and two assistant coaches
Wednesday, 05.22.2013 / 5:34 PM / News
NHL.com

VIDEO LINK - http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=250517

The Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday fired coach Alain Vigneault, along with assistant coaches Rick Bowness and Newell Brown.

"We have made the very difficult decision to relieve Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown of their coaching duties today," Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis said in a release issued by the team. "Alain, Rick and Newell worked tirelessly to lead this team to great on-ice success. I am personally grateful to each of them and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and the city of Vancouver and wish them continued success in future."

The firing comes one year after Vigneault signed a contract extension, reportedly for three years.

Vigneault, just two years removed from a run to the Stanley Cup Final, led the team to the Northwest Division title in 2012-13 for the fifth straight season and sixth time in his seven seasons with the Canucks. However, the team was swept by the sixth-seeded San Jose Sharks in the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It's the second straight season the Canucks have been knocked out in the first round, and the club hasn't won a playoff series since the 2011 Western Conference Finals. Since winning Game 5 of the 2011 Final, the Canucks have won just once in 11 playoff games. They captured the Presidents' Trophy for the second straight season in 2011-12 but were eliminated in five games by the Los Angeles Kings in the first round.

Vigneault switched starting goaltenders during that series, benching Roberto Luongo in favor of Cory Schneider. The Canucks kept both goaltenders this season, with Schneider starting 30 of 48 games and posting a 2.11 goals-against average and .927 save percentage, compared with 2.56 and .907 for Luongo.

Though the Canucks won the Northwest Division title this season, they finished 19th in goals after ranking in the top five in each of the three previous seasons. They were also in the bottom third of the League on the power play and in faceoff percentage.

Vigneault was hired on June 20, 2006, and in seven seasons he compiled a 313-170-57 record. The Canucks made the playoffs in six of the seven seasons, won six division titles, two Presidents' trophies and advanced to the Stanley Cup Final in 2011. His 313 wins are the most in franchise history, and the club set franchise records with 54 wins and 117 points in the 2010-11 season. However, the Canucks were just 6-6 under Vigneault and lost four times despite having the home-ice advantage.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671631
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:48:16 AM by JFC »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2062 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's official.

Avalanche hire former goalie, Hall of Famer Patrick Roy as coach
Friday, 05.24.2013 / 12:15 AM / News
The Canadian Press

DENVER - The Colorado Avalanche are rounding up the old crew to restore the downtrodden franchise.

First, Joe Sakic was given more responsibility in the front office.

And now Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy is rejoining the Avs as head coach.

Colorado reached an agreement in principle Thursday with Roy to lead the team and also serve as vice-president of hockey operations.

Roy will join forces with Sakic, who was recently promoted to executive vice-president of hockey operations. The Avalanche won two Stanley Cup titles with the duo on the ice and the organization is hoping they can help turn around a struggling franchise.

Pull this off and it just might be Roy's biggest save yet.

The Avs finished a year they'd rather forget, winding up last in the Western Conference and sitting out of the playoffs for a third straight season. The dismal season led to the dismissal of coach Joe Sacco late last month.

However, the team does have the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft.

They also have one of the winningest goalies of all time, a fiery competitor during his playing days who will bring that sort of intensity to the bench.

The 47-year-old Roy becomes the sixth coach in Avalanche history and the 14th in franchise history; the team began as the Quebec Nordiques and moved to Denver before the 1995-96 season. The Avs captured the first of two Stanley Cup titles that season, with Roy in net.

Although he has no NHL coaching experience, Roy did spend the last eight seasons as coach and general manager of the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, winning the 2006 Memorial Cup. He also is a part-owner of the QMJHL franchise.

"This is an unbelievable day for me," Roy said. "It's a new and exciting challenge that I am really looking forward to. Almost 10 years to the day that I announced my retirement as a player I am back in Denver and hope the fans are as excited as I am."

Roy's younger brother, Stephane Roy, let the secret out of the bag earlier this week, posting a Facebook note saying his brother would be the new coach. That left fans in the Mile High City eager all week, hoping two of the most beloved players in team history would team up again.

"This is a very exciting day for our fans and a significant moment in our organization's history," team president Josh Kroenke said.

Following the season, the Avalanche shook up their front office, naming Kroenke as their team president as he took over for longtime executive Pierre Lacroix, who was instrumental in assembling the squads that won championships in 1996 and 2001.

Kroenke's first task was giving Sakic more of a say in every day hockey decisions. He also allowed Sakic to seek out the next coach.

Naturally, he turned to someone he knows quite well.

"All along Patrick was our top candidate and we are thrilled that he has decided to accept this offer," Sakic said. "Patrick has a great hockey mind, is a tremendous coach and there is no one more passionate about this game. He will bring that winning attitude to our dressing room to help this young team grow."

Roy was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2006. He retired with the most regular-season wins in NHL history (551), since passed by New Jersey's Martin Brodeur. Roy also won two Stanley Cups with Montreal and remains the winningest goalie in Stanley Cup history with 151 postseason victories.

"Patrick's passion for the game of hockey both as a player and as a coach defines who he is as a person," Kroenke said. "He is a winner and is coming back to Denver, where he created numerous special moments on and off the ice while helping lead us to two Stanley Cup championships."

Roy won three Vezina Trophies (1989, 1990, 1992) and was selected to the NHL All-Star team six times.

The excitable Roy started his career with Montreal, winning two Stanley Cup trophies for the Canadiens. But a rift grew with the team after a game against Detroit on Dec. 2, 1995, when Roy allowed nine goals before he was finally taken out in the second period. Upset, Roy told Montreal it was his last game for the team.

A few days later, he was in Colorado, helping the Avs win their first Stanley Cup title.

To this day, Roy sweaters permeate the Pepsi Center on game days. He's that revered.

Roy had his number retired by the Avs a decade ago and a banner to commemorate the achievement now hangs from the arena's rafters, alongside those of Peter Forsberg (21), Ray Bourque (77) and his new partner in turning around this franchise, Sakic (19).

The team has quite a bit to build around, too, especially since the Avs have a young nucleus in place with Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly and captain Gabriel Landeskog all under 23.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671668

Hartley believes Roy will be success with Avalanche
Friday, 05.24.2013 / 11:15 AM / NHL Insider
By John Manasso - NHL.com Correspondent

Calgary Flames coach Bob Hartley has heard a lot in the last few days that former superstar players don't become great NHL coaches and that it's been a long time since a goalie has succeeded as a coach in the League.

Hartley, who coached Patrick Roy when the Colorado Avalanche won the 2001 Stanley Cup, said what he thinks will separate Roy as the new coach and vice president of hockey operations for his old team is his passion.

"He doesn't accept mediocrity," Hartley told NHL.com via phone from Saskatoon, where he is at the 2013 MasterCard Memorial Cup. "He never accepted it from himself. I think that's what he's going to bring to this organization. If you don't work hard, you might be sitting in the stands."

Hartley cited the fact that one year after Roy retired from playing, he spent a year coaching bantam AA.

"You're a Hall of Famer, the winningest goalie at that time in hockey history, getting ready to coach bantam AA?" Hartley said. "There are not too many who would be ready to do this. He didn't do this for fun. He did this for investment purposes. He went on for eight years to the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). Owner, GM, he was the coach. He's done a lot. I think that he paid his dues and felt Colorado was the right spot, and here he is."
For whatever reason, former goalies tend to become general managers, while defensemen and forwards trend toward the coaching ranks. However, Hartley said Roy told him before his playing days ended that he wanted to become a coach, and so Roy began preparing with that in mind.

"I remember probably from 2000 on, many times I'd be talking with Patrick, he knew his career was coming to an end," Hartley said. "He'd say, 'I have maybe two, three, four more years to play and then I want to coach.' He was asking tons of questions, whether it was practices, games, preparation. I even saw him coach kids in Littleton -- that's a suburb of Denver where my son was playing, too. Many times I would see Patrick before or after my son's practices. I'd see him behind the bench.

"He already had a passion for this. He would come and sit in my office, ask me tons of questions on my drills. You know, 'I like this, but why are putting emphasis on that details versus that detail? Why are we doing this?' It was all from the matter that he wanted to complete this and put in the bank so that he could use it later on."

When Roy moved on to coach the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL, he and Hartley often would discuss strategy.

"We would spend hours," Hartley said. "He would send me clips of his team over the Internet and we would get on the phone. I'd have my computer with these clips in front of me, he'd have his clips in front of him. We'd say go and we would watch the clips and I'd tell him, 'Stop and rewind and where are you on your counter?' All kinds of stuff. He would ask me, 'Why does that happen?' or, 'What do you think?'

"He's a good student of the game. He's not afraid to ask questions. Any time I see him or any time I talk to talk him, it's always fun. I think we're two guys very passionate about the game. I always had lots of fun with him."

Hartley said he had been in touch with Roy in the days leading up to the announcement Thursday and Roy told him it probably would happen. Now, three players that Hartley coached with the Avalanche are playing a large role in running the organization: Executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic, Roy and Craig Billington, who was Roy's backup, and now serves as vice president of player development. Hartley said that Billington and Roy were like "two brothers" as players.

"They're reunited again," Hartley said. "With Joe, you look at Patrick and Joe -- no disrespect to any other players -- but they were the two biggest elements in both Stanley Cups combined (in 1996 and 2001). You look at both Stanley Cups, there are no bigger guys than Sakic and Roy."

Roy and Hartley both are famously competitive. Hartley knows how to get under his opponents' skin. As coach of the Atlanta Thrashers, he had colorful exchanges with Pat Quinn when Quinn coached the Toronto Maple Leafs and with Glen Hanlon when Hanlon coached the Washington Capitals.

Hartley and Roy have become good friends over the years. When Hartley coached the Thrashers, he said he would have Roy talk several times during the season for between 30 and 60 minutes with goalie Kari Lehtonen when Lehtonen was first breaking into the League. During the lockout, Hartley said Roy's Remparts had a game in Victoriaville, so Hartley drove to spend some time with the junior team. Before Hartley took the Calgary job, they would talk on the phone to discuss junior players from near Hartley's area in Montreal.

Now, they will compete against each other in the Western Conference, and that could test the friendship.

"It's going to be fun," Hartley said. "I'm obviously looking forward to this. Once I get behind the bench, I don't look at who's coaching behind the other bench. As a young coach when I was with the Avs, Scotty Bowman was in Detroit. We had a huge rivalry with Colorado and Detroit. I never caught myself into this, even though Scotty was my idol coaching the Montreal Canadiens when I was a kid. I always tried to focus on what will make me successful. I'm sure we're going to talk previous days and in the morning. He'll have a job and I'll have a job to do."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671883

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2063 on: May 25, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
NHL approves sale of Coyotes, contingent on lease with Glendale: report
- League has owned the team since 2009

The Associated Press | Posted: May 25, 2013 1:24 PM ET | Last Updated: May 25, 2013 1:51 PM ET

The NHL has approved the sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to a group of Canadian-led investors, but the deal is contingent on reaching a lease agreement with the city of Glendale, two people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.

The NHL agreed to sell the team to Renaissance Sports & Entertainment, a group headed by George Gosbee, Anthony LeBlanc and Daryl Jones, according to the people, who spoke Saturday on condition of anonymity because there had been no official announcement.

They said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the prospective buyers will meet with Glendale officials on Tuesday for talks on a lease.

The NHL bought the Coyotes out of U.S. Bankruptcy Court in 2009 and has tried without success to find a buyer who would keep the team in Glendale.

The approval of the Gosbee group's sale by the NHL was first reported by Fox Sports Arizona.

LeBlanc and some of this group's partners, among them Daryl Jones, were part of a previous effort to buy the team under the name Ice Edge, Inc. Gosbee, a banker and financier, is chairman, president and chief executive officer of Alberta-based AltaCorp Capital Inc.

The lease with Glendale has always been a sticking point in the sale of the team. Glendale owns Jobing.com Arena, where the Coyotes play and the city has spent tens of millions of dollars to help cover the franchise's operating losses under the NHL's nearly four-year ownership of the team. Any lease deal also likely will cost the financially-strapped city, but losing the team as an anchor tenant may cost much more.

If this effort falls through, Bettman could finally give up on his insistence on keeping the team in Arizona and agree to a move of the franchise, which has lost money since it moved to the desert from Winnipeg in 1996.

Then-owner Jerry Moyes, to the surprise of Bettman, took the team into bankruptcy in 2009, with an agreement to sell to Blackberry founder Jim Balsille, who would move the franchise to Hamilton, Ontario. But the NHL and its band of attorneys, joined by the city of Glendale, vehemently fought the plan in a court-case that dragged out through that summer, and the judge ruled that he couldn't overturn the NHL's authority to determine where its franchises are located. When other bids failed, the NHL stepped in and bought the team.

A bid by former San Jose Sharks owner Craig Jamison to buy the team was the latest attempt to fall through.

Despite the uncertainty and limitations of its ownership situation, the Coyotes had surprising success on the ice, even making it to the Western Conference finals last season. The team failed to make the playoffs in this season.

On Friday, the Coyotes announced it had reached agreement on a long-term contract with general manager Don Maloney and is working to re-sign coach Dave Tippett.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/05/25/sp-nhl-phoenix-coyotes-sale.html

Jeez, the league sure is hell-bent on keeping the team in Phoenix.  :-\

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2064 on: May 28, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Except for the fact that she didn't choose Toews as her favorite player, I'd say that this is one smart little Blackhawks fan.  :thumbsup  :P

9 X 9 = Hossa? Girl Honors Blackhawks Star in Math Exam
By Justin Breen on May 24, 2013 7:39am

CHICAGO — Technically, Maggie Ciara was correct.

During a multiplication test Maggie took Wednesday, she answered the question of 9 times 9 with "Hossa," as in Chicago Blackhawks star Marian Hossa, who wears No. 81.

"I thought it would be funny to do it," Maggie, a third-grader at Columbus Manor Elementary School, said from her Oak Lawn home Thursday.

Her teacher, Christine Mech, circled the answer and wrote "What is this?" in red pen. When Maggie explained her response, Mech gave her credit, and she received an A+.

"Maggie is a very clever little girl," said Mech, who's a Hawks fan and knew what Maggie was up to. "I love the way Maggie has a sense of humor. She did get her 100 percent on the quiz, and we had a little bit of a laugh afterward."

Maggie's mother, Diane, posted a photo of the exam Wednesday afternoon, and it already has more than 1,300 "Likes" on Facebook. It even has appeared on the Blackhawks official Facebook page.

"I can't believe how fast it's spread," Diane Ciara said. "I didn't think it would take off like that."

Maggie said the Blackhawks are her favorite team — she celebrated her ninth birthday in early April at a Hawks game — and Hossa is one of her most treasured players.

On Thursday, she wrote a letter to the Hawks addressed to Hossa that in part said: "I hope this brings you good luck in the playoffs and in hoisting the Cup again."

The Blackhawks will need more than luck against the arch-rival Detroit Red Wings in the second round of this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs. After Detroit's 2-0 win Thursday, the Red Wings lead the series 3-1 and can eliminate the Presidents' Trophy-winning Hawks in Game 5 Saturday at the United Center.

Maggie said she's usually a "very serious" student and has never put a silly answer like "Hossa" on a test.

But she might do the same if she ever sees "8 times 11." Chicago's Patrick Kane, her favorite player, wears No. 88.

"But we haven't learned our 11s yet," she said.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130524/chicago/9-x-9-hossa-third-grader-honors-blackhawks-star-math-exam

Oh, and apparently someone leaked the new logos that the Dallas Stars will have starting next season.

Dallas Stars' New Logo Potentially Leaked on Team App - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1650843-dallas-stars-new-logo-potentially-leaked-on-team-app
From a local Dallas reporter's Twitter - https://twitter.com/Dale_Lamontagne/status/337921925445718016

Personally, I like this response to the leaked logos that this dude gave: https://twitter.com/For_The_Boys/status/337976987236831232
:lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2065 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
New uniforms have been revealed for both Carolina and Dallas. Vids and pics here (normally I'd post actual pics, but the school network is being HELLA slow today, so just going to stick with the links).

CAROLINA HURRICANES NEW UNIFORMS -
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672909
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/microhome.htm?location=/jersey
http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=684&id=252679

DALLAS STARS NEW UNIFORMS -
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672994
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672977
http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=709&id=255832

Also, Dallas will be retiring Mike Modano's no.9 next season. - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672993

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2066 on: June 09, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »
They should change the jets uniforms to this, hang some chicks legs on em to block more shots

Am I the only one watching the playoffs? :lol: XD

Well my picks are coming to fruition :pimp: Boston and LA just have too much body power and deepness - except the Blues really killed em, Chicago might finish the job.

HOLY SHIT Kreuger fired. GJ MacT. I knew he wanted to be coach again lol

all this while I was feedin McSorley ideas of coming to coach some toughness. He was so fuckin nice, "it's a process. patience blah blah - so nice to meet you..."

- this from the Oilers locker sale this afternoon. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and Nick Schultz was there lol

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2067 on: June 09, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
They should change the jets uniforms to this, hang some chicks legs on em to block more shots
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMNThVxCAAAUA1j.jpg
Or at the very least, distract the other team's players so our guys can steal back possession of the puck. :P

Am I the only one watching the playoffs? :lol: XD
Watching, just not talking about it. :P  Gotta admit, I wanted a Chicago VS Pittsburgh final.  Oh well, getting one out of two ain't bad. :)

HOLY SHIT Kreuger fired. GJ MacT. I knew he wanted to be coach again lol
Yeah, this was a bit of a surprise.  Considering that it was just his first season as coach, and the team's lack of results over the last few seasons, to expect a major turnaround might have been a bit much to expect.  Did MacT and/or the team's management just end up not like his coaching style/strategies for the team?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2068 on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:24 AM »
So it's not MacT, but (now former Toronto Marlies coach) Dallas Eakins that's taking the reigns in Edmonton.

Eakins ready to make NHL mark as Oilers' new coach
Monday, 06.10.2013 / 5:52 PM / News
By Brian Hunter - NHL.com Staff Writer

VIDEO LINK - http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=258544

Dallas Eakins played in parts of 10 NHL seasons for eight different teams.

Most of his stops amounted to brief cups of coffee, a handful of games here, a few more there. Then it was back down to the American Hockey League or the now defunct International Hockey League, where he played in nearly a dozen additional cities over the course of his career.

A defenseman, Eakins only dressed for 120 NHL games and probably watched hundreds more from press boxes around the League as a healthy scratch. All the while, though, a post-playing career was taking shape.

"I wasn't just sitting upstairs eating popcorn," Eakins said Monday. "I was taking notes."

Ultimately, it would lead to Eakins becoming an assistant coach -- first with the AHL's Toronto Marlies and then with their parent club, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Eakins returned to the Marlies as a head coach in 2009 and led the team to 157 wins in four seasons, as well as a trip to the 2012 Calder Cup Final.

On Monday, the 46-year-old Eakins found himself in the brightest spotlight of his NHL career, as he was named the new coach of the Edmonton Oilers. In accepting the job, he also fulfilled the prophecy of one of the League's great innovators and the coach Eakins credited as his greatest influence, the late Roger Neilson.

"Roger Neilson told me on many occasions my mark in the NHL would be made as a coach, because I wasn't a very good player," said Eakins, who also mentioned Paul Maurice, Pat Quinn, Mike Keenan and Ron Wilson among the coaches that impacted him during his playing days and his fledgling career behind the bench.

"Go down the list, every one of them, I watched things and I've shook my head and gone, 'That does not work,' and I've nodded my head and taken note of what does. I guess I'm a little bit of a hybrid. There are a lot of pieces there."

The Oilers have a lot of pieces themselves, in terms of young talent they are trying to assemble into an annual Stanley Cup contender. After holding the No. 1 pick in three consecutive drafts and adding forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov, there was high hope the franchise might end a six-year playoff drought in 2012-13, but Edmonton finished 12th in the Western Conference under first-year coach Ralph Krueger.

Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish had started the process that led to Eakins' hire looking to add an associate coach to his staff, but realized after an initial meeting that lasted four hours that he was talking to head coach material. After further discussions over the next several days, MacTavish decided to make a change and fired Krueger on Saturday.

"During the course of that meeting, I felt right away in listening to Dallas that his skill set would be better served in a primary role with our coaching staff than a secondary role," MacTavish said. "I ruled out any chance of us obtaining him for a secondary position. He had too much polish and pedigree to not land one of the open NHL jobs available."

MacTavish, who went head-to-head against Eakins during the 2011-12 season as the coach of the AHL's Chicago Wolves, was already impressed by his ability to prepare his teams and to identify with young players.

In addition to Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov, the Oilers' roster features notable players such as defenseman Justin Schultz and forwards Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner and Magnus Paajarvi, all of whom are under 24 years old.

"I'm extremely confident in this man's ability to lead our hockey club," MacTavish said.

Eakins' main task will involve getting the Oilers to take that next step and return to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since the 2005-06 club -- coached by MacTavish -- advanced all the way to Game 7 of the Final as an eighth seed. They lost to the Carolina Hurricanes and Eakins follows Quinn, Tom Renney and Krueger as successors to MacTavish.

"In pro sports, winning is the bottom line," Eakins said. "From this moment forward, everything that we do will have that final product in mind. What we're going to do here is put a plan in place to maximize our full potential. This is about putting a foundation a place.

"We want to be in the mix every year to win. That takes a little bit of time and a whole lot of commitment. We're going to be committed to character, a high fitness level, details to tactical hockey, but foremost, the No. 1 thing we're going to be committed to is competition.

"Whether you're the sixth defensemen or the 23rd man on the roster, you are going to compete to play on this hockey team -- and that's how you win hockey games, and that's my commitment to make this happen."

Eakins, who didn't arrive in Edmonton with his wife Ingrid and family until earlier Monday, said determining the rest of his coaching staff is among the assessments he will have to make moving forward. Assistant coaches Kelly Buchberger and Steve Smith remain on staff -- Eakins could choose to retain them or go in his own direction, and he said it's likely the Oilers will still look to fill the associate coach position for which he originally thought he was interviewing.

"One of those things when you come into an organization, you don't know if the video guy's the best guy or if he's subpar. Kelly and Steve might be two of the best assistants in the League -- I don't know. I've got to get to know them and see how that's going to go," Eakins said. "Right now everything stays status quo. I've got a ton of things to get to here, but those concerns are at the top of the list."

While this will be Eakins' first stint coaching in the NHL, he said he doesn't feel pressure to change anything about his approach -- at least not at first.

"I have my routine that I think works," he said. "I'll come in here and see if it does work, and that's part of being a leader. I have to go with what I know until it doesn't work, and then I have to be open to change.

"Players are going to be the same -- they're hockey players. I'll get to know them and move forward. There may be some big adjustments for the players with me coming in here. I am somebody that firmly believes that if you're talented, just being talented is not enough. I want players to be so fit that a forward, if I ask him to play 26 minutes in a game, he's going to play 26 minutes at a high level."

Appearing self-assured throughout Monday's press conference, it was evident what Eakins' protégé saw in him many years ago.

"I've worked hard at this trade and it's something that's come naturally," Eakins said. "I knew Roger was right that I knew coaching was in my blood, and maybe I should have started it much earlier."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=673491

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2069 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
I guess, after seeing the official one that the NHL released, someone decided to come up with a better, easier to comprehend map showing the teams in their new divisions. :thumbsup

ORIGINAL LINK - http://www.tomfulery.com/2013/03/08/nhl-realignment-map-2013-14/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2070 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »
You know that the finals are beginning when city/state/provincial leaders make their bets. :)

Illinois, Massachusetts governors make Stanley Cup wager
CHICAGO — The Associated Press
Published Tuesday, Jun. 11 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Jun. 11 2013, 10:20 PM EDT

The governors of Illinois and Massachusetts have made a wager on the National Hockey League finals featuring the Chicago Blackhawks and the Boston Bruins.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn’s office said in a release Tuesday that the governor of the losing team’s state will volunteer at a food bank of the winning governor’s choice.

That means Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick would volunteer at the Greater Chicago Food Depository if the Blackhawks win. And Quinn would volunteer at the Greater Boston Food Bank if the Bruins are victorious.

Quinn says Patrick is “skating on thin ice” betting against the Blackhawks. Patrick says he looks forward to “seeing the Bruins circle the ice” with the Stanley Cup.

Game one of the best of seven series takes place Wednesday night in Chicago.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/illinois-massachusetts-governors-make-stanley-cup-wager/article12487396/

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2071 on: June 16, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »
Why not the mayors? have you heard Boston's Menino talk? lol YEah wow PAILE, another OT. This is gonna be one helluva series. Rask just shut em down after that flurry. I predict Boston to take it STRONG at TD Garden.

On a hugely sad note. Man this guy i heard great shit bout him....RIP Kristians Pelss

Quote from: Edmonton Oilers
The Oilers are deeply saddened by the loss of Kristians Pelss, a young man who played in our organization.

"This is the news we feared. Kristians was an outstanding man and we feel terrible he has left us at such a young age." – Oilers General Manager Craig MacTavish

Read our full statement here > http://ow.ly/m4g5Q

What a loss man.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2072 on: June 23, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »
NHL goalie masks of 2013
http://sports.ca.msn.com/nhl/photos/nhl-goalie-masks-of-2013-3

:thumbsup
And already we've got previews to he goalie masks we can expect to see in 2013-2014 from goalie mask custom painter Dave Gunnerson!!! :thumbsup

The gallery includes mask designs for numerous NHL goalies (e.g. Henrik Lundqvist, Carey Price, Steve Mason, Sergei Bobrovsky, to name but a few) for the upcoming season. Of course, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the Winnipeg Jets' Ondrej Pavelec break out the 3rd evolution of his "Fighter Jet" themed mask that he's had since the team moved here.  :D

1st Version (2011-2012, "The Fighter Jet" Mask) - http://daveart.com/mask-gallery/set/72157627625310067/default.aspx
2nd Version (2012-2013, nicknamed "Fighter Jet - The Saga Continues") - http://daveart.com/mask-gallery/set/72157629309177070/default.aspx
3rd Version (2013-2014, nicknamed "Fighter Jet - Takeoff") - http://daveart.com/mask-gallery/set/72157632685757119/default.aspx

Sorry dai, but no Oilers' masks on here. Looks like they get their mask paint jobs done somewhere else.  :nervous

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2073 on: June 25, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »
well... boston really shit the bed there at the end of the game lol.

Congrats to the Hawks. Rangers got the cup in the bag next season ladies and gents  ;)

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2074 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:46 AM »
I don't know why, but for some reason I always look forward to the part when Bettman actually presents the Cup to the winning team (probably because I get a major kick out of hearing all the boos he gets). :lol:

Now to keep an eye out in the local papers to see when Toews and Sharp will be bringing the Cup back to Peg Sheety.  :theking

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2075 on: June 25, 2013, 05:38:33 AM »
hahah I was watching and the fans we're booing loud and I thought for a second he was going to stop mid-speech to tell the crowd to shut the fuck up. He had that look on his face for a second like he was thinking, "man, I wish I could say what I'm really thinking right now.."

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2076 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »
Nice last minute win HAWKS butt OILERS gonna win the 2014 CUP!!!!

GET YO BUDREDLIGHTS!! htttp://www.budweiser.ca/redlight/light.php

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2077 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
as phenomenal as that youtube clip is.. no. Rangers got this. Alain Vigneault is gonna bring us to the promised land.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2078 on: June 30, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
And the first big draft-day trade of 2013 goes to Vancouver, who ship Cory Schneider off to New Jersey for the 9th overall pick! :shocked

At least now this solves the goalie scenario that had been dogging them for the last year and a half.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2079 on: July 09, 2013, 04:30:29 AM »
Not entirely surprised at this, considering that Coach Noel was given an extension on his contract and that it wasn't exactly a secret that the two of them didn't get along.

Jets issue statement on Burmistrov signing with KHL
Monday, 07.08.2013 / 12:45 PM

Winnipeg Jets restricted free agent forward Alexander Burmistrov has left the National Hockey League to sign a contract with Ak Bars Kazan of the Kontinental Hockey League in Russia.

Burmistrov, 21, reportedly signed a two-year deal to play in the KHL after spending the past three seasons with the Jets franchise. The Atlanta Thrashers made him the eighth pick in the 2010 NHL Draft and he spent the 2010-11 season with them and the following two in Winnipeg.

The Jets retain Burmistrov's rights should he return to the NHL.

"Through our conversations and correspondence with Alex and his agent, it became apparent Alex had a desire to continue his development as a young player in the KHL," Winnipeg general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said in a statement. "He remains a very talented player within the Jets organization and we will continue to monitor his progress and development going forward."

Burmistrov had 58 points in 194 games.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677137

So yeah, unless we trade his rights to another team or change coaches he's probably not planning on returning here anytime soon.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Hadashi no Megami