JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Park Amsterdam (The Whole Story)

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 550743 times)

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1800 on: October 14, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
Hockey is always enjoyable on any level. I love seeing my favorite players succeed, no matter where they are.

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1801 on: October 14, 2011, 03:45:19 AM »
Hockey is always enjoyable on any level. I love seeing my favorite players succeed, no matter where they are.

That's the difference between you and me. I cannot bring myself to root for players if they are playing for the opposing team because then, in a way, I am rooting against my favorite team. For me it is team > player, so I always root for the team no matter who is playing for the opponent.

This is also the reason why I cannot do fantasy <insert sport here>. If I did end up doing fantasy <insert sport here>, I could never bring myself to pick amazing players if they were on a team that my favorite team has a rivalry with. For example, I wouldn't be able to pick a Sedin twin or Lidstrom since they play for Vancouver and the Detroit respectively and rooting for anything related to those 2 teams is pretty much against the law here.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1802 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »
^
Oh well. Different strokes for different folks. Rivalries are part of what spice up the game, so they're not all that bad.
:)

In the end, as long as we all enjoy the sport itself and root for the players/teams that play it, then it's all good.
:thumbsup

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1803 on: October 14, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »

tru dat. Once an Oiler, always an Oiler - I'm rooting for Mike Grier and his pizza. Smyttie carrying the load with Hemsky out again THE FUCK! but I always believed in Bhulin Wall!

but shit. Arron Asham  = Classless :tama-mad:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1804 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
but shit. Arron Asham  = Classless :tama-mad:

True, but at least he owned up to it and apologized for it in the post-game interviews.

It was still a wicked KO. :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1805 on: October 16, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
HOLYSHIT! RNH better be on your fantasy team  :grin:

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

gotta give it up, 'Nucks just too grimy - too much knee to knee, cross checking with no calls kinda team. BEN EAGER GET BACK SOON FUCKER! :tama-mad:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1806 on: October 17, 2011, 01:59:38 AM »
HOLYSHIT! RNH better be on your fantasy team  :grin:
There's a reason why he was tapped as the #1 draft pick. :yep:

New Jets are off of a helluva rough start. Hopefully the locals keep and mind that:
a) we can't expect them to be Stanley Cup contenders right off the bat,
b) it's going to take time to see the results that we hope for as the team continues to learn and grow, and most importantly,
c) regardless of how badly the team performs (in terms of win/loss records), we NEED to keep supporting them, both morally as well as by purchasing (season) tickets and physically attending games in order to ensure that we don't have to go through the turmoil of losing a team for a second time (the way that Atlanta has).

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1807 on: October 17, 2011, 04:18:06 AM »
lol wut fail

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1808 on: October 17, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1809 on: October 18, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
FINALLY! First win for Jets 2.0!!!

JETS WIN!! JETS WIN!!

WINNIPEG - 2
PITTSBURGH - 1

:canada: :sashiko: :canada: :sashiko: :canada: :sashiko: :canada:

Offline kuno_thunder

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1810 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »

That's the difference between you and me. I cannot bring myself to root for players if they are playing for the opposing team because then, in a way, I am rooting against my favorite team. For me it is team > player, so I always root for the team no matter who is playing for the opponent.

This is also the reason why I cannot do fantasy <insert sport here>. If I did end up doing fantasy <insert sport here>, I could never bring myself to pick amazing players if they were on a team that my favorite team has a rivalry with. For example, I wouldn't be able to pick a Sedin twin or Lidstrom since they play for Vancouver and the Detroit respectively and rooting for anything related to those 2 teams is pretty much against the law here.

The Blackhawks had to dump a bunch of players from the 2010 Cup winning squad due to salary cap reasons. A lot of great players got traded off and got the short end of the stick by getting dealt to shitty teams (Byfuglien and Ladd to fuckin' Shitlanta, Versteeg to Toronto) and others to better teams (Niemi to San Jose). However, I think about when a city can respect a team's decision for dealing away popular players in hopes of rebuilding for the future, just like how Flyers fans gave Mike Richards a warm reception last week in his first game in Philly as a member of the LA Kings. 

Or how when when Ray Bourque got a standing ovation in Boston even when he was wearing a Colorado Avalanche uniform in 2001.

Or when Wayne Gretzky broke Gordie Howe's point record in 1990 in Edmonton as a member of the LA Kings.

If say, Dustin Byfuglien remains as awesome as he is, and got chosen to play for Team USA in the Olympics for example, would you not cheer him because his full time employer is a club in a different city?  Or would you cheer him WHILE he plays for Team USA, and then NOT while he plays on the Jets (or whoever else)?  I can support my favorite players wherever they play, and I can boo my most hated players wherever they play too.  I don't care where Jonathan Toews plays in his career, I want to see him succeed because he puts in the work ethic and treats the game seriously. I don't care where Sean Avery plays either, I think he's a fuckin' dirtbag.

I guess my point is that the teams have to make hard choices sometimes when it comes to trading players to give them a chance to grow in their own individual careers if they can't seem to contribute wherever they are now, or if the reality of the business with salary cap limits force their hand. Just because a favorite player gets traded elsewhere, doesn't erase what they did for your team in the past. With the way players get traded so often nowadays, I think it makes for better hockey all around the NHL. When was the last time there was a repeat Cup champion? Detroit in 97 and 98? The talent in the NHL is so awesome that any given year any team literally could rise to the top and become champion, and then fall back to the bottom again.  As a Winnipegger and a huge Jets fan past and present, I'm just thankful to have the NHL back in this shitty market of ours, no matter how the team is doing.  Once Teemu Selanne plays as a member of the Ducks at MTS Centre, I guarantee you the city will be buzzing about his return.

Can't wait to post THAT video once it happens.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1811 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »
^DEEP THUNDAH! love those takes. Hard cap makes it anyones game. oh the pain during those lean years when they all left.

^^ no Malkin! no Crosby! TOO EASY! Can't say the same for the Flamers and Nucks - bet the Pens can't wait to escape Canada lol

SHIT! Smyttie with the game winner on a wicked backhand on Rinne! FINALLY! - went to the game with some last minute Stub Hub nosebleeds and got me a bobblehead :D

Was surreal. just chants of Smyttie! Smyttie! when he was shown on screen.

TAYLOR HALL!!!! What a wrister and NUUUUGE with the slick pass.

lol you think Smyttie would get first star but lol nope it's Horc.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1812 on: October 19, 2011, 09:33:49 AM »
What a difference Whitney makes!!! Makes everyone better like who the fuck is Potter? wearing niinmama's number?lol too bad fell to the shames at the last few minutes. SO MANY ways to pull the trigger. just need that Hall burst.

Digging Lander's game tho. A little shaky but hey!! need that grind, keeping pucks down low. WE MOVE FORWARD!

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1813 on: October 19, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Rick Rypien tribute at yesterdays game  :cry:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1814 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »
real moving, much like the one in Winnipeg.

Did they have any official tributes for the KHL tragedy?

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1815 on: October 21, 2011, 06:40:37 AM »
If say, Dustin Byfuglien remains as awesome as he is, and got chosen to play for Team USA in the Olympics for example, would you not cheer him because his full time employer is a club in a different city?  Or would you cheer him WHILE he plays for Team USA, and then NOT while he plays on the Jets (or whoever else)?  I can support my favorite players wherever they play, and I can boo my most hated players wherever they play too.  I don't care where Jonathan Toews plays in his career, I want to see him succeed because he puts in the work ethic and treats the game seriously. I don't care where Sean Avery plays either, I think he's a fuckin' dirtbag.

I guess my point is that the teams have to make hard choices sometimes when it comes to trading players to give them a chance to grow in their own individual careers if they can't seem to contribute wherever they are now, or if the reality of the business with salary cap limits force their hand. Just because a favorite player gets traded elsewhere, doesn't erase what they did for your team in the past. With the way players get traded so often nowadays, I think it makes for better hockey all around the NHL. When was the last time there was a repeat Cup champion? Detroit in 97 and 98? The talent in the NHL is so awesome that any given year any team literally could rise to the top and become champion, and then fall back to the bottom again.  As a Winnipegger and a huge Jets fan past and present, I'm just thankful to have the NHL back in this shitty market of ours, no matter how the team is doing.  Once Teemu Selanne plays as a member of the Ducks at MTS Centre, I guarantee you the city will be buzzing about his return.

Can't wait to post THAT video once it happens.

I know that they got traded because of salary cap issues and it really upset me.

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn't mean that I never support or cheer for players if they aren't on the Blackhawks, I just don't support or cheer for them when they are playing against the Blackhawks since I always support my team over any player.

Regarding Team USA, of course I would cheer for those players if they were playing on that team since I am an American. I, however, didn't cheer for the Blackhawks players on Team Canada during the Winter Olympics since the 2 teams obviously played each other in the gold medal game. I was still happy for the Blackhawks players that got the gold medal on Team Canada after the game, but I was definitely not rooting for them to win during the game. I would have preferred the Blackhawks players on Team USA (Kane) and the rest of the team to come home with the gold since I favor teams over players and Team USA is obviously a team I would be cheering for. 

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1816 on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:00 AM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK another tight game lost in the last seconds!!  so close to beating the Wild finally! :tama-mad: Gotta love Bhulin bouncing back, the KIDS need some smackin around man. can't lose faceoffs key to possesions! too bad they phasing out these copper n blues. The only jersey I ever bought and now it's history! XD

Just ask Captain Rei-chan :P

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1817 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »
KHABI! KHABI! KHABI!!

shit what a difference a solid D makes, make no mistakes around and he won't fuck shit up. SHUT OUT BABY!!

mmm hot hockey wives, for a good cause!

Offline kuno_thunder

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1818 on: October 24, 2011, 07:45:35 AM »
Regarding Team USA, of course I would cheer for those players if they were playing on that team since I am an American. I, however, didn't cheer for the Blackhawks players on Team Canada during the Winter Olympics since the 2 teams obviously played each other in the gold medal game. I was still happy for the Blackhawks players that got the gold medal on Team Canada after the game, but I was definitely not rooting for them to win during the game. I would have preferred the Blackhawks players on Team USA (Kane) and the rest of the team to come home with the gold since I favor teams over players and Team USA is obviously a team I would be cheering for.

I see what you're saying, I do. My point is however, is that having so many top level players on the Hawks team in 2010 led them to the Cup that year. Isn't it awesome as a fan of the Hawks that the Captain won a gold a medal, and plays well with a guy that won a silver medal?  I would be like, "Sweet, the captain of my favorite team won a gold medal!" instead of "Fuck, the captain of my favorite team won a gold medal representing a team I wasn't cheering for."  I will cheer for Captain Serious for all his achievements, not just some of them. After all, he's earned every single one.

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1819 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »

I see what you're saying, I do. My point is however, is that having so many top level players on the Hawks team in 2010 led them to the Cup that year. Isn't it awesome as a fan of the Hawks that the Captain won a gold a medal, and plays well with a guy that won a silver medal?  I would be like, "Sweet, the captain of my favorite team won a gold medal!" instead of "Fuck, the captain of my favorite team won a gold medal representing a team I wasn't cheering for."  I will cheer for Captain Serious for all his achievements, not just some of them. After all, he's earned every single one.

I do think it is awesome. As I said, I was happy for them. I never said I was pissed off or angry about it, I would have just preferred the opposite outcome. The Canadian players that won still represent the Blackhawks, so I would never be pissed about it. The opposite outcome would have just given me even more to cheer about it since it would have been a double whammy (USA and Blackhawks) instead of just the Blackhawks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:34:00 AM by natme »

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sakamoto Maaya - Park Amsterdam (The Whole Story)