JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Itsuka no Merry Christmas

Author Topic: A Kingdom's Lament [Act 1, Ch.5]  (Read 12731 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: A Kingdom's Lament [Act 1, Ch.2]
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 02:43:58 AM »
"We cannot send our army!" cried one woman of many years, handsomely clad in a fine silk dress. "The Rose wants nothing more than a casus belli to strike us, and we cannot resist their inexorable power." "You speak madness!" responded a gaunt man whose tights and jacket hung limply from his slender frame. "Even if we do not act, Empress Fujimoto would still crush us beneath her numberless legions. Better for our Kingdom to die standing than on our knees." he spat venomously.
Politics and bureaucratic squabbling suck, no matter what setting you're in.

Can our soldiers, our countrymen ever forgive me? I fear I have damned them all.
Well, at least she's willing to admit that she fucked up.

So the Orchid Kingdom is populated by witches, eh? And Rika's one of them, ehhhhhhh?  IshiYoshi interaction's definitley going to be interesting, Wonder if Rika is the specific one that teaches/taught Yossi how to use magic?

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Arcadia Victis

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: A Kingdom's Lament [Act 1, Ch.2]
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 03:47:41 AM »
Next part's up. Comments, etc, you know the drill. >_>

This'll be a brief interlude and intro to everyone's favorite... BADASS MIKI. Probably not good, but I figure a little fanservice won't hurt as long as it keeps you guys coming back. :p Also, I'm hoping this will serve as an intro to magic in this fic, and how it'll work.

Whoops: reader comments will follow later. Also, please please PLEASE tell me if there's something I should change in this fic.

------

[Act I, Chapter 3 - Birthplace of Nightmares]

"Prince Fujimoto, firstborn of the Emperor, established himself as the strongest of the pretenders. Claiming right of primogeniture and divine providence, he overawed the lords of the central plains. They immediately swore their alleigance to his familiar rose banner. However, Fujimoto was an inept and decadent monarch - many vassals of his father on the fringes of the Empire took advantage of the unrest and declared independence. Many rebels were crushed by the iron fist of the Empire nonetheless, each too weak alone to resist effectively. Seeing the folly of their division, the survivors of the purge rallied around the other sons of Tsunku..."

Ai Takahashi shivered involuntarily as she was led through a labyrinth of stone corridors by an imposing jailor. Her tormentor was an imposing black-armored figure, whose eyes glowed a violent red colour through the narrow slits of his helmet. Every action the man took was precise, fluid, and calculating; the monotonous click of his steel shoes against the floor echoed for what seemed like forever. Occassionally, the prisoner could hear voices cry out from behind the thin walls, which did nothing to muffle the noise. Her heart beat mercilessly against her chest and she broke out in a cold sweat; unconsciously, she pulled the tattered rags that remained of her dress closer. She hobbled on, trying desperately to keep up. Some part of her brain told her she would be one of the unfortunate, anonymous victims that haunted her ears if she didn't.

Eventually, guard and prisoner came to a stop at the end of a wide hallway, lined with brass candleholders. Dim light illuminated a fine rug that ran the length of the floor. "The Mistress awaits," growled the man in a guttural, distorted voice. He lifted a gauntlet towards an open set of double doors at the end of the passage.

As Aichan limped inside, she was greeted with a massive shock. "ITAI!" She fell to her knees and rubbed her tearing eyes. The sun was high and its light blazed through stained-glass windows that produced a dazzling radiance through the whole room. Surreal color and brightness burned her retinas, which wasn't that surprising; after spending the last three days in a dank cell, her vision had grown accustomed to inky blackness. After Takahashi recovered from the dizzying episode, she got a look around. It was fairly large; the granite walls were painted with scenes of lustful pleasure, depicting a continuous orgy of sensuous feminine forms.

"What do you think of my taste in art?"

Ai jumped as two black-gloved hands wrapped themselves around her chest. She snapped around to see the figure of Empress Miki Fujimoto, dressed in a revealing nightgown embroidered with rose decorations. Suddenly, the younger girl remembered just how close she was to the most powerful monarch on the planet; Miki was groping her breasts with one hand while the other was carefully removing her skirt.

The victim of Miki's aggressions goggled. And then pulled back. Before she could stop herself, she slapped the Empress across the face. As she looked on in horror, the sovereign merely rubbed the point of contact. Takahashi took two steps back before Miki responded.

"You're a feisty one, aren't you?" asked Miki rhetorically. She smiled lecherously at Ai.

"Who are you?" responded Ai with her own question.

"I am the Mistress. I am the lady of this citadel, and the state that supports it. I am the rightful sovereign of the Empire of the Rose, heir to the great Tsunku himself. I am Empress Fujimoto, and you will bow before me."

"Hell no." Ai spit on the cold floor.

Miki giggled in a high voice. "Foolish girl. Most of your peers would consider it an honor to even look upon my glory."

"My peers are free citizens of the Tulip Dominions."

At this, Miki's smile faded a little. She raised an eyebrow as she replied. "The lands you call the Tulip Dominions are by right of blood mine. Now kneel, commoner, before your Empress."

"Never!" Takahashi remained defiantly upright. This gesture was a mistake, and a bad one at that. Pain shot up the younger girl's back as Miki whispered ancient and malignant words of power. It was unbearable, but Aichan stood. Sweat formed on her brow and her face cringed at the strain.

"Impressive." admitted Miki, as she watched the young girl struggle against her powers. "But not quite there." Miki's eyes began to warp and change, until they became dancing motes of fire. As they did so, Takahashi felt an invisible force push her forward, and she caught herself. As soon as she bowed, the pain subsided slowly, her nerves still aching for a few moments before she could muster up the strength to rise to her feet.

"Why?" coughed Aichan weakly.

"Why what?"

"Why am I here? Why do your armies take my people from their homes? The Dominions have never done anything to the Empire, we want nothing but to be left alone in peace."

Miki smiled. "The better question is, why not? Why not enslave? Why not kill? Why not invade? Like I said before, your precious Tulip is by right a territory of the Empire, and one in active revolt." She raised her hand up in an single, elegant motion. "And those who rebel are traitors." The Empress closed her fist tightly.

"Now," said Miki, pointing to her helpless captive, "let me answer your inquiry. Quite simply, the lives of traitors to my authority are forfeit. They have surrendered their rights as subjects in turning from me; thus, I use them like cattle." Takahashi's eyes widened perceptibly at this statement. Fujimoto took no notice as she continued. "Those you claim as countrymen, you and all those who do not acknowledge me as Empress, are not entitled to any protection."

"But they're still people!" objected Aichan.

"Yes, which makes them that much more useful. I need them as resources, for labor, for their souls. I can't end this war without a steady supply of victims."

"The war will never- wait, what was that about souls?"

Miki gave a high, cold laugh. She gestured about the room. "Yes, this facility is dedicated to the harvest of souls. They power our magics." The Empress now lunged forward and pressed her lips on those of a surprised Aichan. Takahashi struggled fruitlessly against Miki's grip before the older girl finally pulled away. "But you, you intrigue me. Every other wretch brought into this castle begged for their worthless lives before I sent them off to be... processed. You will be spared for now." With a wink and a grin, Empress Fujimoto turned on her heel and walked out.

Ai Takahashi stood stock still, her mouth wide open with shock for some moments before she collapsed on the floor, crying with fear.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:50:43 AM by Arcadia Victis »
Rika <3

Offline magicnumber

• ecchi
Re: A Kingdom's Lament [Act 1, Ch.3]
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 05:40:29 AM »
Damn. Miki's frightening and I admire Aichan's bravery~ (I remembered the Ribon no Kishi musical again as I was reading! :3)... Um... maybe it's just the sap in me, but I do hope that Miki isn't all cold heartless bitchery. Maybe? :-[ Despite the ruthless exterior she's still an ole softie on the inside, right?

*headdesk* xD
Great writing as always  :heart:

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 06:58:42 AM »
Evil Miki is happiness. Or, well, sadness I guess. Whatever it is, I like it!

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
oh Miki-sama you can use my soul anytime

Offline orangesocks

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »
I also thought of Ribbon no Kishi as I was reading this chapter.  :) soon as you mentioned 'black gloves' I thought of Miki in her Hecate costume.  :heart:

After Takahashi recovered from the dizzying episode, she got a look around. It was fairly large; the granite walls were painted with scenes of lustful pleasure, depicting a continuous orgy of sensuous feminine forms.

:lol: I laughed out loud when I read this part!

Offline Arcadia Victis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 12:36:42 AM »
Next chapter's going to be a bit later, having some trouble trying to juggle around the development of subplots and stuff. Anyways, now for reader responses!

coachie: Yossie/Rika interaction's going to be pretty interesting, I think.

magicnumber: I'm wondering myself as to where I'll develop Miki's character. Will she stay as hedonistic and megalomaniacal, or should I try and give her some more depth?

rndmnwierd: Thanks! :D Yossie and Rika's coming up in the next chapter, trying to work out the dynamics of their relationship is where I'm a bit stuck.

orangesocks: That's what I was thinking of too. >_>
Rika <3

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
EMPRESS-SAMA OSHIOKI KIBONNU!!! *OAD*

Wow, she IS evil. :o Almost makes me want to run away...until I remember how HOT she is, especially if I picture her in that outfit you described.  :wahaha:

Offline joyce

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 06:56:21 AM »
Evil Powa Miki is coooooooooooool~  more more more!  as for ai...i can imagine her shocked face every time miki makes a move~  shunned and cute!  lol

Offline Blizzard

• 雪の天使
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
So, if Miki's magic uses peoples souls for power, can the same be said for Rika's?  Just curious, I guess.  I can't wait to see what you have coming for Yossui and Rika! 

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2007, 11:57:57 PM »
I'm thinking Rika's people have found alternative ways to maintain their "magic batteries", so to speak. Using the souls of people is probably just faster and easier.

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 02:41:39 AM »
Miki wearing black is always hot.  ;D

Props to Ai-chan for her courage in standing up to the empress. (she even slapped her! but that probably turned the empress on even more :P)

I wonder what caused Miki to turn this way. Bad childhood? Tragic romance? ???

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline Arcadia Victis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »
I'm a bit dissatisfied with this chapter, but posting it up anyways.

As per usual, comments, et al.

-------

[Act I, Chapter IV - Herald of the Storm]

The ambassadors from the Orchid Kingdom had an exquisite grace in their stride, Yossie noted. When they came to a halt a few feet away from where Queen Sayumi stood, the three women gave a polite bow of respect.

Just as Yoshizawa opened her mouth to protest, her remonstrance died in her throat. The general found herself utterly speechless as she looked agape at Rika and her attendants. Their appearance was so bizarre that Yossie found herself lost for words. She recoiled in instinctive horror as she realized the bright aura the foreigners generated came from blasphemous sigils that revolved about their heads, some of which winked in and out of existence. The aversion was only deepened upon further examination - Yossie noticed all of them had marble-white skin and ice blue eyes that sparkled in the torchlight.

Rika was the first to rise from her salute. She wore a thin, revealing lace dress whose color seemed to be in a constant state of change. The diplomat brushed a strand of silver hair from her flawless face before she spoke to the queen in a melodic tone. "Your Highness," began Rika, "The Orchid Kingdom graciously offers whatever aid we may render you in your struggle against the tyrant Fujimoto. These are dark times we live in, Queen Sayumi, and only united can we hope to prevail over the Empire..."

Suddenly, Yoshizawa felt a warm scent in her nostrils, a heady odor of perfume that entered through her head and dripped down her spine. It relaxed the tense general, and she could feel her suspicion and xenophobia slough off bit by bit. A voice in the back of her head brought her back to full consciousness however, and she snapped out of her reverie with some shock. Yossie looked around the council chamber, noticing with vague terror that everyone else wore a pleased, satisfied expression as Rika continued to speak. With a single fluid motion, Yoshizawa's right arm flew to her left hip and drew her sword.

The light from the visitors reflected off the blade as Yossie flourished her weapon. She leveled the point at Rika, who turned to look at the sword now just inches away from her head. Everyone else in the room seemed oblivious to the standoff.

"Foul witch," snarled Yoshizawa, "I will tolerate no sorcery in the presence of my liege and sovereign."

Rika sighed in a bored sort of way, before waving her hand. Instantly, the smell vanished; the faces of Queen Sayumi and others in the chamber changed from placid delight to utter confusion. It was surprising, Yossie noted, that Rika merely continued to talk as though nothing had happened.

"My apologies. It was merely my intention to render this esteemed council more receptive to our prescence."

Sayu's voice betrayed no hint of her inner anger. "Be that as it may," said the young queen flatly, "I will tolerate no more use of magic. We will either converse with our wits intact or this meeting is over."

Yoshizawa sheathed her sword as the queen finished. "Your Highness, witness the depths of their treachery. They wish to hoodwink us, to use the Lilac Kingdom as a shield against the fury of the Empire."

The girl on Rika's right now flashed a glare at Yoshizawa, and began muttering under her breath. However, Rika turned towards her - the other girl abruptly ceased her incantation. "No, Erika. This common slime is not worth your hatred." Rika now craned her head towards the Queen. "This is an outrage. A vulgar soldier has no place in the business of nobles and kings."

Sayu fumed. "That vulgar soldier is General Hitomi Yoshizawa." she began in a cold voice. "And you will show her the respect due to a servant of my crown, Lady Ishikawa."

Rika raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Oh? Well then, Hitomi-chan," said the diplomat mockingly, "forgive me for mistaking you for a commoner. Perhaps you should ask your tailor to make sure your clothing matches your station." She looked derisively at Yossie's appearance; with the exception of her cloak, the general was indistinguishable from a simple peasant.

"Better poorly dressed than not dressed at all Rika-chan." snapped Yossie, referring to Rika's thin and immodest garb. The two girls stared daggers at each other, unblinking with mutual disgust.

"Enough." ordered Queen Sayumi. "Every moment we waste with pointless sniping is another moment that Empress Fujimoto plots the downfall of both of our nations."

"Sorry, Your Highness." said Yossie bluntly, though she continued to glare at Rika. For her part, the Orchid Kingdom ambassador turned away.

"You speak words of wisdom, Queen Sayumi. Let us return to the matter at hand, and away from these meaningless distractions." She shot a pointed look at Yossie, whose face was scarlet with fury. "As I stated earlier, it is only through unity that we may conquer the threat that we all face. Without our aid, I believe the Lilac Kingdom will fall beneath Fujimoto's heel."

Yossie snorted. "I fought the Empire's slave-soldiers three years ago. We crushed them so thoroughly that we couldn't find a place to bury all of their dead. We need no help from the likes of you, witch. Our army can stop them once again."

"Perhaps you didn't notice," responded Rika, "but your precious army has been all but destroyed." Queen Sayumi blushed with humiliation at these words, and looked at her feet ashamed. "And this time," continued the diplomat in an even tone, "Miki has new tricks to play. I doubt she will have much difficulty dealing with your crippled forces, Yocchan."

The way Rika used the dimunitive form of her name grated badly on Yoshizawa's nerves. She tried hard to keep her voice level. "What kind of tricks are you talking about, witch?"

"Magical ones."

Rika continued. "A traitor to the Orchid Kingdom, who shall remain nameless, transferred many tomes of arcane knowledge to the Empress in exchange for titles and gold. Fujimoto has instructed her commanders in the deepest, darkest secrets of magic, with which they have used to great effect. Already, the Empire of the Rose has annexed the Tulip Dominions using their newfound powers. You of all people should know this."

This was news to Yossie. She raged inwardly, frustrated with her ignorance created by a year out of command. However, she kept an impassive exterior, betraying no hint of her emotions. "Then why do you warn us of this, Rika-chan?" asked Yossie. "What does it matter to your masters if the Lilac Kingdom falls? There is no love lost between our countries."

There was a sigh before Rika responded. "If the Lilac is crushed, then the Orchid will follow. We offer our support in sincerity, and all you can do is suspect ulterior motives? For shame, Yocchan."

"I have had experience with your kind, witch." growled Yoshizawa. "Your people are a scheming one, and I will not see the Lilac Kingdom used as a pawn in your games."

"Then you will see your precious Kingdom burnt to the ground by Empress Fujimoto. Only with our powers can your country hope to stand against the Empire."

Yossie sighed. "Fine. What help will the Orchid Kingdom give us?"

Rika smiled. "The Lilac will receive the infinite power of the cosmos." She nodded to the girl on her left. "Greetings, General Yoshizawa. I am Lady Yui Okada. We three will tutor you and all other leaders of the Lilac military in the ways of sorcery and magic."

The Queen now spoke again. "Please accept my thanks for this generous offer."

General Yoshizawa was aghast. But, she reasoned, it was better to gamble with the Orchid Kingdom's inscrutable plots than to see her country reduced to ashes by a magic-wielding Empire. Nonetheless, she felt a lump form in the pit of her stomach as the three diplomats left. She couldn't quite put her finger on why she felt so uneasy, but her soldier's instincts told her something terrible was coming.

A storm was brewing on the horizon...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:04:40 AM by Arcadia Victis »
Rika <3

Offline Arcadia Victis

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: A Kingdom's Lament [Act 1, Ch.4]
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 08:29:16 PM »
JFC - Yeah, she's hot. And she'll rip your guts out of her chest if you let her. >_>

joyce - Glad you like the story. There'll be more to Miki and Ai later on plotwise.

Blizzard - There's the ishiyoshi. As for magic spec... you'll just have to wait.

wordsworth - I'm trying to work that one out myself. It'll be expanded on in later chapters, I promise.
Rika <3

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »
The whole perfume thing by Rika was rather underhanded, IMO. Considering the fact that Orchid was coming to seek an alliance with Lilac, she should have realized that such a tactic would undermine the chances of that happening. Then again, she probably was used to having it work all the time, and didn't expect someone to be able to snap out of it and realize what was going on.  The Orchid people are probably accustomed to using their magic to help manipulate people to be more receptive to their way of thinking. They probably indeed seek to use Lilac as a shield against the Rose forces. With all of thier attention on their magic, it's possible/probable that they don't have an army of thier own to act as a physical force.  That's why they need the alliance with the Lilac.

Offline Arcadia Victis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »
That's a fairly accurate assessment of what's happened so far, although I'll not comment on the speculation. Still trying to figure out if Miki will be a psychopath or tragic figure in this story.
Rika <3

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 02:18:39 AM »
ohh can i vote for psycho then, there's too much of a softie-miki ending :D

the orchid kingdom humbly offers... 3 witches to teach the generals in lilac kingdom, magic ?!?! only

damn how kind XD

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 03:48:45 PM »
Wow, Rika witch "looks" damn creepy when I try to picture her after your description! Somehow reminds me of that woman on the World of Warcraft game package (never played that game)
Blue eyes.. ok, silver hair... errr, and white skin!!!! Our always tan Rika white version? It's hard to imagine.
Or is it only the magic that makes them appear this way? I hope so otherwise I'll just pretend they look like their Magical Biyuuden alter egos XD

Yui seems to be a nice down to earth girl, wonder how those magic lessons will turn out.

And who is the traitor from Orchid Kingdom?

Offline orangesocks

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 04:34:09 AM »
Heh, RikaYocchanhate! and Ishiyoshi name calling!  ;D heh. Yossie's so kickass, picking up on Rika's tactics.

Hum...I also wonder who the traitor of Orchard Kingdom is... ???

Offline joyce

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 06:55:04 AM »
psychopath!  ultimate power and evil for miki!  lol~~  (but i trust whatever you decide of course, hehe)

i really really love the move made by rika with the perfume scent!  and how it was done so publicly at the queen's court....this creepy-yet-in-your-face rika is definitely awesome!  what made the whole scene better was yossi snapping out of it and pointed the sword at her....so cool and hero-like~  the putdowns between them were creative and funny! 

arcadia victis, you really have good imageries in your mind...and of course a set of good writing skills to bring them alive here!  keep it up!  can't wait.. .

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Itsuka no Merry Christmas