^ you could either just check if the textbox (for a new actor etc.) has some input and if so disregard the DDL and only insert that textbox content into the actor table or
let them open a popup, adding the actor etc. there and on successful addition add the new actor to the DDL via js parent window stuff and maybe auto-select it there on closure of the popup. Same solution could be done with ajax just without popup and just some extra form.
All probably not perfect either but some ideas nonetheless~
Anyway, I want to share a small webchat server I wrote in 2006~07 but discontinued to develop (pretty much like what happens to everything I code). It's a rather unstable piece of software but maybe it's useful for someone or parts of it.
It's written in C
DL (executable and source): uhohChat
The Chat's language is German, however source comments are mostly in English if I made some. I didn't change much ever since, just removed some rather personal stuff for this upload (hopefully lol). Some functions were modified or written by an internet buddy.
What else? It should be possible to compile it on linux (less stable) and windows (executables for both are also included) using the build shell scripts, so for windows mingw or cygwin are recommended.
Starting is done via command line: "name.exe IP PORT" if no ip or port are provided it'll show ip/ifconfig and use 0.0.0.0 (listen to "all" ips) on port 9001.
Once it's started you can access it via web-browser on http://IP:PORT
One problem of the chat is probably that it has to handle open connections and still act like a webserver at the same time on one port, aside from the problem that some malfunction is also due to my dirty coding.
IMPORTANT: you'll usually have to adjust the ip and port manually in the "post.htm" file to be able to post messages if you don't use localhost and 9001....(for the <form action="...."> thing)
Oh, and available chat commands can be found in the "io.c", adding new ones is pretty easy as well I think.
Yup. If someone is actually interested and needs some help to get things running I can try to help further but won't continue to develop this.
edit: it appears that user registration is not working, I don't know if it ever did. Userfiles themselves work though, if you want to create them manually you can see the format in user.c in the saveUser function.