JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Egg Machine - All Black or Nothing

Author Topic: [Discuss] Live vocals or Lip-syncing?  (Read 18796 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
[Discuss] Live vocals or Lip-syncing?
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
Nothing beats a good vocalist with a live band... but does the same goes for AKB48?

AKB48 have pretty intense choreography and it's nearly impossible to harmonize with 48 girls... or is it? Maybe the stage units could perform live more often? Morning Musume and Idoling sing live, so why not AKB48?

What do you prefer and why?

We have some examples of live vocals, such as Watarirouka Hashiritai - Yaruki Hanabi. Even though the vocals aren't that great, it's more enjoyable because you can see them giving it their best effort.

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
Re: [Discuss] Live vocals or Lip-syncing?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
there are some performances where you can tell they're live(some tv shows and LoDs) and they sound fine to me so I think they should do it more often, definitely.
But I can see with songs like 'glory days' that being difficult and for that song the choroegraphy really tops the song off so I think mix-and-match if you must but live where you can :D

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:27:10 AM »
Live.

The only time I really don't mind lip synching is when it's a big TV live, where everyone else is lip synching too. But I don't see any reason to lip synch during stages etc. If I wanted to see a glorified karaoke session with wota, I'd see a Perfume concert.

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:34:45 AM »
Live, definitely. Even if they're not awesome, I respect those who sing live.

However, I can understand that sometimes lip-synch is necessary. :)

Offline jafeijai

• Member+
  • Music is my life ♪
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:11:53 AM »
Definitely live vocals over lip-sync.

It's understandable if they would decide to use recorded tracks for performances with difficult choreography or lots of action, but in the end, they are there (mostly) to sing. Plus, I have a feeling some of these girls have the vocal ability to pull off an amazing performance if they had the chance to sing live.

Offline sousora

• Winter is coming.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 从・ゥ・从
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:46 AM »
Lip synching is only okay if you actually have no voice and thus can't sing. Otherwise, you have a voice, use it. I don't care how "energetic" the dance is, if I wanna hear a voice track, I have a CD for that.

Offline EreMyao

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
Live,of course and yes,it's more enjoyable to see their effort.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »
I'm pretty surprised by the results; everybody seems to agree live vocals are better  XD

Even though I agree, it can be pretty painful to watch live vocals. And perhaps some of the younger girls or maybe the newer girls would fall under the extra pressure?

Speaking of newer girls, if anybody happened to have saved that wagamama video with komori's epic live vocals in it... please up it  :P

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
While I do agree that it might be painful to watch live vocals, it's also very rewarding when your fave girl improves.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »
If I wanted to see a glorified karaoke session with wota, I'd see a Perfume concert.

If you can find me girls that can make heavily synthesized electropop with only their vocal chords, they need to be signed right away because a real-life Miku Hatsune would make a ton of money. The amazing production quality and crazy choreography of Perfume's concerts easily makes up for their mostly non-sung nature. That's kinda the focal point of that group.

Obviously the heart, energy, and excitement of live singing is awesome. Still, I highly doubt anyone would want to listen to someone sing a completely sung out concert after the first hour or so. Assuming that the singer has not passed out, it might not sound very well. So, for me, it depends. Some songs, some artists work live and some don't.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
If you can find me girls that can make heavily synthesized electropop with only their vocal chords, they need to be signed right away because a real-life Miku Hatsune would make a ton of money. The amazing production quality and crazy choreography of Perfume's concerts easily makes up for their mostly non-sung nature. That's kinda the focal point of that group.

No doubt.

That's why you won't see me complaining about Perfume singing live, because it doesn't work. But AKB songs are relatively simpler, and not as thickly layered, so it's definitely possible. I just don't get why they don't.

Offline jafeijai

• Member+
  • Music is my life ♪
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:18:41 AM »
Even though the vocals aren't that great, it's more enjoyable because you can see them giving it their best effort.
And then we have examples where the vocals are amazing.

Offline ichijoujirena

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
For me, it depends. While I do looove live vocals, I know it's not always possible for these girls. Most of them do not have the physical capability of doing a 1 and a half to 2 hour concert with fully live vocals, several dance routines and MCs..

So while I would love to see them do live more often, I know that it's not really all that possible for a lot of the girls.

Offline Yanki31Mina

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »
I don't this is even up for discussion.  People prefer live vocals.  The only exception to that is the exceptions (big studio performances for example).

Offline richardthebrave

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 05:41:16 AM »
i will prefer live over lip-synching.  :cow:

..but, i can't blame them if they will lip-synch sometimes. their throats and lungs needs a rest too since they perform daily at the theater.  :nervous

Offline Sayange

• Akimoto Sayaka Chronic Fangirl
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Twin Towers <3
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:36 AM »
I voted like 2 days ago but didn't have the time to post, LOL.

I voted live, too. There are many girls in AKB that can actually sing live and they don't need any help of any special technology to sound fine. So why would they need lip-synch?

Now, as everyone has stated, sometimes they need it, as for songs where they have to jump or something, or after they've been dancing for hours. But overall, AKB has the talent, they don't need to lip-synch.

Saeyaka.com: Killing your bandwidth with hotness since 2007
Follow SaeYaka blog at Twitter @saeyaka48

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
Yeah!

And I think you can use Autotune for live performances now, too. :lol:

Offline ohno

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
I've always wondered about this, are shuffle performances in concerts lip-synced? I think they really sound like they're lip-synced, but I don't think they would go through the trouble of recording a backtrack just for a one time performance. Although maybe the singing is redubbed for DVDs or possibly enhanced.

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:44 AM »
I'm actually pretty sure things are redubbed since on the backstage clips if the camera is at the side of the stage it usually sounds totally live.
So they probably pick and chose which performances to 'fix.'  Also i'm very sure most LoD stuff is live(though I have my doubts about S2) by most i mean maybe 1 or 2 tracks not but you can hear breathing on these so yh...

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »
So they probably pick and chose which performances to 'fix.'  Also i'm very sure most LoD stuff is live(though I have my doubts about S2) by most i mean maybe 1 or 2 tracks not but you can hear breathing on these so yh...
Or in case on Nontii's birthday you can hear her 'slobber away' some tears  :wub: (for which Kana repeatedly hit her during the MC afterwards  :rofl:

So they do have the mic's open and yes you sure can here a difference in quality at times.

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Egg Machine - All Black or Nothing