^ lol kimuu I actually coded something myself
for this ahaha... spent more time coding than actually ranking, typical me...
feel free to use tho.
Stoked to see so many old-timers returning to vote, much love y'all!
I'll try to rouse even more people from their slumber.
Yeah, figured I'd get my list out sooner than usual (which is at best, last minute) and just tweak it later if I feel like it. So here goes:
01. Blackpink - Playing With Fire
02. Ladies' Code - Galaxy
03. Blackpink - Whistle
04. Ladies' Code - The Rain
05. Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely
06. Blackpink - Stay
07. Kisum - 2 Beer
08. Blackpink - Boombayah
09. Oh My Girl - Liar Liar
10. AOA - 10 Seconds
YG's new girlgroup was something I had been looking for since forever, since it always seemed like it would be a bit more my style than the majority of girl groups around, but I never expected Blackpink
to be this perfect for me. Style, music, girls, everything. So it was obvious they'd dominate my list. I loved PWF since the first teaser with the piano and the beat, and the full song just hit it out of the park. Whistle was awesome and unique, Stay was yet another facet of the group and sounded like nothing you usually get from a kpop group. And yeah, I know, four songs... I actually actively tried to push BBY out of my top 10 but nothing compared favorably enough to me... it's just too much bombastic, ridiculous fun.
The new three-member incarnation of Ladies' Code
was my other big favorite musically this year. I always really liked the group and their happier vibes when Eunb and Rise (RIP) were still around before their tragic accident... but moving on, they revamped their style in extremely tasteful fashion and now have this kind of ethereal, mysterious and a little bit sad sound. And I love it, there's absolutely no pity points in my votes. I contemplated on having Galaxy as my #1 track until the very end.
• Wonder Girls
didn't set the kpop world on fire like last year, but they still put out a really good, mellow track in Why So Lonely.
really surprised me, I thought she was cute and spunky on Unpretty Rapstar, but I didn't expect her music to be THIS good.
• Oh My Girl
didn't really hit the jackpot this year like they did with Closer, but I found Liar Liar a lot of fun. The quirky music video helps too.
's 10 seconds completely evaded me until last week, hiding inside their mini-album. Smooth and unapologetically retro, a good way into my heart.Honorable mentions:
• Kisum - No Jam
- 2 Beer was the better song, but No Jam has an AWESOME music video
• K.A.R.D - Oh Nana
- I was kiiinda digging the song and then I saw this "fun" version of their dance practice
and they're really growing on me now. The way they're doing co-ed (girls singing, guys rapping) is something I can appreciate.
• Red Velvet - Russian Roulette, Cool Hot Sweet Love
- Solid tracks, RR especially, just not quite there.
• Neon Bunny - Room314
- She put out an album this year, but I thought all the best tracks were from previous years, Room314 was really good though.
• Luna - Free Somebody
- Fine track, and Luna is always a pleasure and can do no wrong.
• Cosmic Girls - Secret
- A really solid track that I hope takes them places.... just not really my style, but I can still appreciate.
• f(x) - All Mine
- Fun, solid track but didn't stand out enough I suppose... I even dug the ghetto mv production haha.
• Bolbbalgan4 - You(=I)
- This was cute, really really cute (thanks
storyboard!) (lmao wrong person thanked, whoops xD)