JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - Seimeisen

Author Topic: Castlevania thread, y'all!  (Read 21257 times)

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Castlevania thread, y'all!
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

The main character, Gabriel Belmont, is a member of the "Brotherhood of Light", an elite group of holy knights who protect and defend innocent people against the supernatural creatures. Gabriel's wife, Marie, was brutally murdered by one of them and her soul cannot leave as it is trapped in limbo. Because she is now neither alive nor dead, she realizes what is at stake and guides Gabriel to his destiny to save the world as he investigates the dark spell. He travels the destroyed land, meeting other characters such as his mentor, Zobek, who additionally narrates the trailer. Two mysterious masks, the God and Devil Masks, lie at the center of the plot, with the God Mask having powers to resurrect the dead. Gabriel intends to defeat the three factions of the Lords of Shadow in order to obtain the pieces of the God Mask, and bring back his deceased wife.

- This game is a reboot of the entire Castlevania franchise. There will be no connections to previous Castlevania games.
- The original concept was a remake of the first Castlevania.
- There will be more monsters from the fantasy genre.
- There are large scale, fully interactive bosses reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus.
- The main weapon is the Combat Cross. It functions similarly to the Vampire Killer.
- The Lords of Shadows are rumored to be inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft and might replace Dracula and Death as the main baddies in the franchise.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
Preview of LOS here

The more I hear about it, the less it sounds like a Castlevania game. That's not to say it sounds bad, but sounds more like they attached the name to this game instead.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »
Yeah, it looks good, but it doesn't seem very much related to Castlevania I-IV or Symphony of the Night at all. I suppose that's deliberate, but I'd still love to see the 2D Castlevanias get the Megaman treatment with new games on the various console stores.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
Very BERRY optimistic about this renewal !

Castleroïd will stay 2D which is fine with me (come on Konami, a great Castle game for 3DS)... and a pure action game like this one doesn't really need anime chara-design...
Just remember Castlevania IV !

Besides of that, I don't like at all the new 2D "HD" one (for PSN, right ?) ... I mean, what the hell is this ? Why just they can't make A PURE JEWEL in pure HD ?
Too much lazy for it... that's all... Hell, Castlevania is not a Bomberman, guys...  :smhid

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »
Harmony of Despair gameplay

Looks cool! It's not the conventional gameplay you'd expect as there appear to be stages rather than have Castlevania as one big open setting. So it appears there's no EXP or backtracking involved. Nor does there appear to be a Belmont in sight. But it still looks like it plays like a Castlevania game!

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »
want to try this... one day, one day

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 02:18:57 AM »
When I first heard of a Castlevania puzzle game for the iPhone I was like this: :lol: But actually hearing about it and looking at it, it looks pretty cool. Of course it helps that it's essentially a puzzle game remake of Symphony of the Night, the full title is Castlevania Puzzle : Encore of the Night. Alucard, Maria, Dracula (naturally), all appear to be there and you progress through the castle and fight monsters in rooms in a Puzzle Quest style mini game. There's items and equipment to collect as well as RPG stat levelling as well. A nice little surprise by the sounds of it then. Shame I don't have an iPhone XD

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »
Just a reminder that Harmony of Despair, the XBLA game is released today. Giant Bomb have a Quick Look here. It has some mixed reviews, and there's a number of things preventing me from buying it right away. For one, there's no story. Two it seems really short, there's only 6 chapters, of which there's a 30 min time limit on each. And there doesn't seem to be much incentive to return as you have no stat progression and the same loot tends to drop a lot. Besides the levels are the same each time with the same monsters being in the same places, and I haven't seen anyone mention harder difficulties.

It could be different when played in co-op, I dunno. But if you ask me, a Castlevania game needs a good story with depth and replayibiility first and foremost, multiplayer can come a distant second. May decide to try Dawn of Sorrow or Portrait of Ruin instead.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 06:06:17 AM »

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
 :-\

Do not want.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »
^i understand, it looks weird... nothing like classic Castlevania SotN kick ass style... oh well doesn't have the bestest OST anymore but still one of my all time favorite

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 11:37:43 PM »
^
Oh, which ost would you prefer then ?

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2010, 03:25:25 AM »
Castlevania Curse of Darkness is my favorite for now... obviously this can change

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:32:55 AM by shurastriker »

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
Mmmh, right.
And you choose one of my favorite from this album...  :)

It's quite hard to choose one OST more than another... maybe I'll tend to prefer SotN's one because of the crazy number of hours I've spent on it...  :P

Btw I love the Perfect Selection Dracula New Classic a lot too :

:heart: :heart:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Fun little fact I found out about Harmony of Despair:

Once you've selected your character and are just about to select the colour you want, hold down the right trigger and then press A. The character voice will be in Japanese. This also extends to enemies with voices.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 12:05:25 AM »

me likes  :)

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
I'm now in autist mode for this game : don't want to watch or see anything about it as I want to discover everything when playing.

It seems there's a collector edition (artbook + ost) but nothing for french market... :/

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »

Watch from 7:40 onwards to see the epic moment :lol:

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
There are some returning characters in Lords of Shadow but obviously they are alternate versions of those in the previous games.

Carmilla - sexy, seductive vampire.
Laura - Carmilla's daughter.
Orlock - looks more like a demon. It's unknown if he is a vampire too.
Cornell - evil werewolf who is the one of the three Lords of Shadow.

Dracula is rumored to make an appearance.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - Seimeisen