JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tanpopo - Nenmatsu Nenshi No Daikeikaku

Author Topic: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 15]  (Read 17055 times)

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Banshou [Chapter 3: Brink of death]
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 03:31:06 AM »
I knew I should have had the protagonist as a man ;_; Would've gotten the point across earlier. lol..

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Shinra Banshou [Chapter 3: Brink of death]
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 03:43:20 AM »
^ No worries dude. Maybe just find some way to identify her in the story and give her a name that no one in H!P already has. That should help keep things straight.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 12:15:59 PM »
Chapter 4 – Answers

“What?” Reina and I shouted in unison. We really did not need more of those things on our tails. The pseudo scientists simply directed us to look at their surveillance monitors. Right there were at least a dozen of them mutants crowded around a run down building. The building looked no bigger than a storage house and was surrounded by a fence.

“I suppose we’re in there?” I asked them, pointing at the building.

“Yup. Don’t worry though, we’re safe in here.”

“How so?” I asked again.

“The fence has at least 10,000 volts of electricity surging through it. They’ll be too afraid of the shock to try passing through.”

“Hmm...” I looked at the monitor again. The mutants were trying to run down the fence, but the electricity sent through their body only made them recoil. They begin to circle the area cautiously with no intention of going through… yet.

“Just who are you? You haven’t answered me since you gave me the bowl of fried noodles!” It was Reina’s turn to do the questioning. I wanted to know just as much as she does. It was starting to get suspicious, as if these two people seemed like they were prepared to stay in the abandoned city for a long term. They even have the necessary safety measures put up. The fence, in other words. I find it unusual for there to be an electric fence around an insignificant building like this.

“Us? I’m Qian Lin and she’s Li Chun.” The shorter of the girl pointed at her partner, answering our first question with ease. I think I’ll call them Linlin and Junjun instead. It’s easier to remember.

“What is it that you do? Why were you drawing my blood just now?” I started babbling all of the sudden; the events in the past 20 minutes came rushing back to me.

“We’re scientists, can’t you tell?” Linlin pulled her coat’s tail and spun around. No, I can’t tell she’s a scientist when she’s dancing around like a kid.

“Real scientists?” Reina looked at them doubtfully. The least I expected was Junjun to lower her head… in shame?

“No, we’re just science students researching on the mutants. We don’t have a license for all these. But I don’t think we need one anymore.

We first saw these creatures sometime after the first few murders and we were intrigued with them, but we had no idea what they were or where they came from. The more they interested us, the deeper we had to dig to find out about them. It got a little too deep and we ended up doing real experiments and whatnot in the end.” She started doing an explanation none of us asked for.

“We’ve been researching them for months, trying to find any clues on the victims but there’s very little information we could gather. All we knew was that there’s some link between them and a certain nameless organization.”

“How do you know that?”

“Our hacker friend made this discovery by chance while intersecting e-mails... It’s contents showed something similar to the appearances of the mutants.” Linlin replied with a sheepish smile.

They were no ordinary people, that’s for sure. Wannabe scientists? Intersecting e-mails? What are the schools teaching people these days?!

“Anyway, we traced the e-mails to a building eventually. The building you guys fell from. To be honest, we weren’t really cruising around…” I knew it!! No sane person would go cruising in a dying city.

“Yeah… we were sneaking around for information after the staff deserted the place. But the mutants took over quickly so we had to flee. That was when you fell on our hovercraft and dented it.” Linlin looked at me as though I killed her pet dog. I felt like my throat ran dry. Then again, was that why the computers were turned on when I entered that room before? It’s starting to make sense now.

“Why didn’t you tell me that earlier then?”  I swallowed hard and continued questioning.

“Didn’t see a need to answer you seriously.” What the… Does my face spell stupid to her? Damn.

“And the blood test?” Reina perked up for reasons I don’t think my temper can take. If I didn’t know better, I’d think she liked seeing me in pain.

“We want to know why you’re different from them.” They’ve said that before, but what does it mean?

“Different?”

“Yes. We found out that these things mutated from human beings and they all share one similarity -- A red microchip implanted in their arms, like you! But what puzzles us is why you’re in human form when you should have transformed like them.” So, I really am just a mutation waiting to happen? That... that can't be...

“Didn’t you get the information from the organization already?” Reina cut off my thoughts with more talking.

“No. We didn’t have the chance to investigate further when those things came.”

“I see. One more thing! Why are they surrounding us like a pack of wolves?”
Junjun and Linlin looked at each other uneasily. I had a bad feeling about this, but I pressed further for an answer anyway.

“You see… for the sake of research, the two of us decided to lure them into the area occasionally so that we could study them up close from the monitors. Or even in personal if we were lucky.”

“What are you, crazy!?” Reina wanted to give them hell for a ridiculous plan like this, but I quickly pulled her back. One casualty a day was more than enough.

“Say whatever you want! We'll have the last laugh when our research saves mankind.” Junjun snapped. The tension in the room grew heavy with the contradicting mentality that everyone was having right now. I for one am confused and conflicted.

“What do you mean?” Locking Reina in a strong hold by the shoulders with my arm, I looked at Junjun, demanding an answer from her with my glare.

“We are going to find a way to destroy them! Or better yet, revert them back to human form.” Revert? That got my attention instantly. But to lure a mob of mutants here for such a purpose? It did seem a little insane.

“But all the data are back at the lab, right?”

“Right. That means we have to go back if we want any progress.” Linlin spoke with a sparkle in her eye.

“Go back? I refuse!” I’m not playing savior of the city this time. Remember the last time I tried being a heroin? Yeah, bye-bye arm! I’m not risking losing my limbs until I’ve my head and torso left. I’m pretty sure they won’t regenerate, so no way am I running into a death trap.

Reina on the other hand, she wasn’t tuned to the same channel as I was.

“It is possible to kill them?” She grew eager and bit my arm, causing me to let go.

“It might be, but we still need the remaining data from the labs.”

“Then we’re going!” She dragged me up by the arm, pumping her fist in the air. I’m starting to think that everyone has lost a screw in their head.

“No! I’m not going! It’s too dangerous.”

“Ah, toughen up you big baby.” That does it.

“You’re not the one being injured you crazy Yankii!”

“Who’re you calling a Yankii?”

There we go, more arguing. Junjun and Linlin however, ignored everything including my protests and cheered.

“Our research is going to be a success! You two will leave for the organization headquarters tomorrow.”

“What?” I screamed, having been held in a headlock by Reina halfway through our squabble.

These people are impossible!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 4: Answers]
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 08:06:50 PM »
we’re safe in here.”

“How so?” I asked again.

“The fence has at least 10,000 volts of electricity surging through it. They’ll be too afraid of the shock to try passing through.”
Ah, but where's the generator? If the creatures take that out... :scared:

“Just who are you? You haven’t answered me since you gave me the bowl of fried noodles!” It was Reina’s turn to do the questioning.

“Us? I’m Qian Lin and she’s Li Chun.” The shorter of the girl pointed at her partner, answering our first question with ease. I think I’ll call them Linlin and Junjun instead. It’s easier to remember.
It's also cuter that way. :D

“We’re scientists, can’t you tell?” Linlin pulled her coat’s tail and spun around. No, I can’t tell she’s a scientist when she’s dancing around like a kid.

“Real scientists?” Reina looked at them doubtfully. The least I expected was Junjun to lower her head… in shame?

“No, we’re just science students researching on the mutants. We don’t have a license for all these. But I don’t think we need one anymore.
EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH???  They're just science STUDENTS?!?!? :OMG:  Well, that would explain why they'd be nuts enough to be doing what they're doing!  They're youthful enthusiasm for their research (coupled with a little youthful arrogance/self-assuredness, no doubt) probably lead them to do this, despite the fact that most licensed scientists wouldn't put themselves in such close proximity to the test subjects.

We first saw these creatures sometime after the first few murders and we were intrigued with them, but we had no idea what they were or where they came from. The more they interested us, the deeper we had to dig to find out about them. It got a little too deep and we ended up doing real experiments and whatnot in the end.”
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaait a sec, they were doing their own research on the creatures? Like what, exactly? They might have made things worse without knowing it.

“We’ve been researching them for months, trying to find any clues on the victims but there’s very little information we could gather. All we knew was that there’s some link between them and a certain nameless organization.”

“Anyway, we traced the e-mails to a building eventually. The building you guys fell from. To be honest, we weren’t really cruising around…”

“Yeah… we were sneaking around for information after the staff deserted the place. But the mutants took over quickly so we had to flee.

was that why the computers were turned on when I entered that room before? It’s starting to make sense now.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, so The Pandas were trying to find more information from the databases in that building.

“Yes. We found out that these things mutated from human beings and they all share one similarity -- A red microchip implanted in their arms, like you! But what puzzles us is why you’re in human form when you should have transformed like them.” So, I really am just a mutation waiting to happen? That... that can't be...
Gee, that's a really comforting to tell a person.  :mon suspect:

“I see. One more thing! Why are they surrounding us like a pack of wolves?”

for the sake of research, the two of us decided to lure them into the area occasionally so that we could study them up close from the monitors. Or even in personal if we were lucky.”

“What are you, crazy!?” Reina wanted to give them hell for a ridiculous plan like this, but I quickly pulled her back. One casualty a day was more than enough.

“Say whatever you want! We'll have the last laugh when our research saves mankind.” Junjun snapped.

“We are going to find a way to destroy them! Or better yet, revert them back to human form.” Revert? That got my attention instantly. But to lure a mob of mutants here for such a purpose? It did seem a little insane.
While their intentions might be noble, The Pandas aren't going about it the right way. So far they've been lucky, but the methods that they're currently using is very risky, and when you keep playing the odds like that, sooner or later you're going to end up with the short end of the stick.  They can't be so focused on what they might potentially get that they don't pay sufficient attention to what's happening NOW.  Proper research (and being able to do it safely) takes time and patience.

“But all the data are back at the lab, right?”

“Right. That means we have to go back if we want any progress.” Linlin spoke with a sparkle in her eye.
Now in all likelihood, barring a sudden big-time discovery by The Pandas, this is one risk that they'll have to take.  Their chances of success will greatly increase if they can find the old data from the original experiments.  You have to know what's been DONE before you can UN-DO it.

Reina on the other hand, she wasn’t tuned to the same channel as I was.

“It is possible to kill them?” She grew eager and bit my arm, causing me to let go.

“It might be, but we still need the remaining data from the labs.”

“Then we’re going!” She dragged me up by the arm, pumping her fist in the air. I’m starting to think that everyone has lost a screw in their head.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...either Reina's looking for some payback, or she's beginning to show sings of changing. :O

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 4: Answers]
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »
Hmm... no changing till much later.

Meanwhile~ Headlock!

-goes back to writing-

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 06:34:09 PM »
I know her name's kinda masculine (meh, she's tomboyish anyway) but the original one I intended to give her was too overused >_>
But hey, the meaning kinda fits the story, no?

T'is short, but enjoy.

CHAPTER 5 - Confrontation

Provided with only two pairs of stun guns, Junjun and Linlin sent us out of their hideout and into the city the next day. Who knew that it actually took one whole day just to travel between the organization’s headquarters to their place? Time really does fly by quickly when you’re unconscious. We were led to an underground sewer not far from the back of the building once the mob dispersed after a fruitless search for food. Apparently it was safer traveling underground until we’re out of the vicinity. It has been about an hour since we’ve started on this journey through the incredibly large sewer and most of the manholes we found were either shut tight or blocked by something large. Either way, we have to find a way to the surface before we could plan our next step. I just hope we’re safe down here.

We’ve been traveling quietly ever since we bid the scientists temporary farewell. With the exception of leaking pipes and wet footsteps, the silence was somewhat unnerving. I held a tight grip on my stun gun and followed closely behind Reina. She was after all the more aggressive one between us. I’m just impulsive; otherwise I’m no braver than a mouse with a really poor temper.

Along the way, several questions began to surface. It seems unimaginable for a human being to transmute into a horror like the mutants, but with proof being presented to me, I can’t help but feel terrified. If I am to change, when will it be? What will happen if I do change? I don’t want to hurt anyone, but what if I do? So many questions and I can’t answer any of them by myself. Even if they are solved, it is likely to be too late.

“Argh, what if I transform now?” I started to say my questions out loud, unaware that the slightest of noise can be amplified down here.

“I’ll kill you.” I stopped walking when I heard the startling reply.

“What?” I looked up in front of me. Reina stopped moving as well.

“I’ll kill you if you change.” She turned towards me, expressionless yet her words had every intent to kill. She pointed her stun gun at me, “I would’ve done so the moment I saw you back there if it wasn’t for that bastard.”

“Actually, I would even do it now if only these were real guns. Tch.” She slotted the stun gun back into her holster and continued walking forward.

I felt all that fear that I should’ve felt during our misadventure at the organization coming back and tripled. It was then that I realized how alone I was right now. I was nothing more than a research subject for Junjun and Linlin, and Reina wants me dead. Anyone and everyone who would have stood by me have left for good. I was indeed by myself, but I must know one thing.

“Why…” I ran towards Reina, grabbing her by the shoulder and turning her around rather violently.

”Why do you hate me so much?” I yelled, not caring if my voice echoed throughout the entire passage.

She shrugged off my grip and laughed.

“I don’t hate you. I loathe you! And those friends of yours.”

“Friends? You mean –“

“Yes, those monstrosities out there. I detest them.”

“But I’m not-“

“Not a monster, right? But those scientists already proved that you’re just another freak like them!” She pulled me by the collar and rammed me against the wall.

“Why do you… hate us?” I was in pain from the impact, and reluctant to place myself in the same group as the mutations, but how long can I deny it? She stared at me fiercely in the eyes.

“Wouldn’t you hate who or what ever it is that had ruined your life from the moment you were born?” She looked back at me, sending shivers down my spine with the anger in her glare. Did she mean I ruined her life, or the mutants to be precise? I don’t understand and I don’t think she’ll be elaborating any further when she ran me into the wall for a second time. She’s small, but it’ll be crazy to underestimate her strength.

“Look kid, you may have saved my life with your arm and I’m sorry for your loss, but you’re still no human to me. As long as I have a chance to destroy you and your kind, I will.” She dropped me and started to walk away. She was sorry? She should be grateful, not sorry. I don’t need sympathy from the likes of her!

“Then why are you dragging me along to find those stupid documents since you loathe my existence?” I shouted at her, stopping her in her tracks. She turned back again and smirked.

“Two heads are better than one, haven’t you heard? It was either you or the fake scientists. And they’re more than unwilling to come along after having your blood for research. So make yourself useful while you’re still alive…”

“Shou.” I spoke up suddenly while trying to stand up. My body was trembling from the brunt of her assault.

“Eh?” She probably thought I was being random, but I figured she wanted to address me for a moment there.

“My name.”

“Your name is Shou? As in, ‘destroy’?” She had an amused look on her face. I looked at her seriously and nodded.

“That’s rather fitting for something like you.”

I wanted to scowl, but I can’t. I was determined to stop being affected by her insults. Nevertheless, her amusement did not wear off.

“Well, make yourself useful until your death, Shou.”

I don’t understand her, but I don’t understand how being hated feels like either until now. I guess this takes time. Until then, what else can I do but continue this nightmare? I would be lying if I didn’t want to uncover the truth; even if the closer I am to it, the closer I am to dying. I suppose Reina was right though. I should be useful while I’m still alive.

We continued the rest of the journey in silence again.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:35:10 PM by inDeceit »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 5: Confrontation]
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
Provided with only two pairs of stun guns, Junjun and Linlin sent us out of their hideout and into the city the next day.
That's it? There's no way that'll be sufficient protection if things get ugly out there (especially if the creatures come in large numbers again). :o

Who knew that it actually took one whole day just to travel between the organization’s headquarters to their place?
Well, the last time they made this journey they were actually riding in (or on top of) Junjun & Linlin's vehicle, so naturally it would take much longer now to traverse the distance since they're just walking.

We were led to an underground sewer not far from the back of the building once the mob dispersed after a fruitless search for food. Apparently it was safer traveling underground until we’re out of the vicinity.
Well, so long as none of the creatures manage to find a way down there, it should be fine.

It has been about an hour since we’ve started on this journey through the incredibly large sewer and most of the manholes we found were either shut tight or blocked by something large. Either way, we have to find a way to the surface before we could plan our next step.
That's fortunate that they're shut tight like that, otherwise the creatures would likely be roaming the sewers as well. A way out would be nice though, since it would suck if they made this trek, only to find that they're stuck in the sewers and can't get into the building.

Along the way, several questions began to surface. It seems unimaginable for a human being to transmute into a horror like the mutants, but with proof being presented to me, I can’t help but feel terrified. If I am to change, when will it be? What will happen if I do change? I don’t want to hurt anyone, but what if I do? So many questions and I can’t answer any of them by myself. Even if they are solved, it is likely to be too late.
It's got to be incredibly disheartening to be told that you WILL turn into some freakish monster, and that there's little, if nothing, that you can do about it.

“Argh, what if I transform now?” I started to say my questions out loud, unaware that the slightest of noise can be amplified down here.

“I’ll kill you if you change.” She turned towards me, expressionless yet her words had every intent to kill. She pointed her stun gun at me, “I would’ve done so the moment I saw you back there if it wasn’t for that bastard.”

“Actually, I would even do it now if only these were real guns. Tch.” She slotted the stun gun back into her holster and continued walking forward.
Dang, a little harsh, no?  Even though it's understandable from Reina's POV (if that were to happen, then it's "kill or be killed"), but still...it's still pretty painful to hear that.

“Wouldn’t you hate who or what ever it is that had ruined your life from the moment you were born?” She looked back at me, sending shivers down my spine with the anger in her glare. Did she mean I ruined her life, or the mutants to be precise?
Hmmm...obviously Reina has been through a lot more than we (or the protagonist) have realized.  Assuming that Reina is not one of the children that were experimented on (like the protagonist is), then that means she was just an ordinary citizen of the city.  Chances are when the creatures began attacking, Reina must have lost most, if not all of her family and friends, and has been on the run from/fighting them herself ever since.

“Then why are you dragging me along to find those stupid documents since you loathe my existence?” I shouted at her, stopping her in her tracks. She turned back again and smirked.

“Two heads are better than one, haven’t you heard? It was either you or the fake scientists. And they’re more than unwilling to come along after having your blood for research. So make yourself useful while you’re still alive…”
It would seem the The Pandas and Reina are thinking similarly, and figure that our protagonist is expendable. They already have the blood sample, so it's not like they actually need her to be alive to analyze it.  If she's killed on this expedition, no big loss.

“Shou.” I spoke up suddenly while trying to stand up. My body was trembling from the brunt of her assault.

“Eh?” She probably thought I was being random, but I figured she wanted to address me for a moment there.

“My name.”

“Your name is Shou? As in, ‘destroy’?” She had an amused look on her face. I looked at her seriously and nodded.

“That’s rather fitting for something like you.”

“Well, make yourself useful until your death, Shou.”
Given the destructive behaviour of the creatures, it IS sort of a fitting name (especially if Shou mutates and starts going on a rampage).  Still though, it's pretty harsh to hear.  Reina isn't exactly being endearing here, nor is likely trying to be.

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 04:42:07 AM »
Bingo! You're right about most of Reina's life in the story and they'll need Shou unless they find another experiment that has yet to mutate.

And the people reading this (I know you're out there!!) should at least comment something unless they find it horrible to read T_T Not that I'm desperate for comments, but it's slightly.. disturbing >_>

Offline glcorps2002

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Rina Akiyama: Booty Beauty
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 04:57:16 AM »
And the people reading this (I know you're out there!!) should at least comment something unless they find it horrible to read
Quite the opposite! I've just been shy and thinking of responses for many stories; I didn't know where to start.

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 6: Sacrifice]
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 03:13:42 PM »
Chapter 6 - Sacrifice

“Why stun guns?” Reina wondered out loud while inspecting the weapon given to us.

The passage was longer than expected and we had to stop to rest eventually. Hours have passed since that confrontation earlier and we grew tired, both physically and mentally. We may not be on friendly terms, but at least we still spoke to each other for the sake of surviving. Camping in a sewer wasn’t a favorable idea, but our legs were unwilling to keep moving. We managed to find a dry spot and have been resting there till now.

“They didn’t have any firearms with them so these will have to do. It was all they had anyway, probably left behind by whoever owned the building before.”

Reina nodded and fired a shot at the sewage river in the middle of the tunnel. A ball of electricity flew out and landed into the toxic water. At first the orb released only static, but before we knew it, the entire river began to have electricity coursing wildly through it. The flashes from the reaction were blinding, but it didn’t take long for it to calm down. 

“It’s not enough to kill though.” I spoke up without even looking at Reina. By now I’m pretty sure I can tell what she is thinking with her every move, or at least assume. I heard her grumble and turn her back on me for the umpteen time today.

I took out my own stun gun and looked at it carefully, I had to figure out how to use this thing without shocking myself. It was the first time I held a weapon after all. It was lighter than the real gun I was forced to hold before, and also more advance than older stun gun models. Apparently ammunition were a few thousand volts of electricity per shot; a little less than the electric fence back at the hideout. I held down the trigger halfway and a sphere started to materialize by the barrel of the gun. That was cool. Anyone would be likely to find it amazing considering how weapons of any kind were rarely given to the public, and it was considered illegal to be in possession of firearms. I was tempted to press down the trigger fully and fire, but who knows how fast ammunition runs out on this thing. I kept the stun gun and stretched my sore legs. Our break took up half an hour when Reina promptly stood up.

“We better get moving. I don’t know how much longer we can be safe down here.”   

I got up after her and we started to move along the river. I looked at the water; it was bubbling and probably acidic. I heard from someone a few years ago that all sorts of chemicals were released into the drains as a convenient way of disposal. It probably built up and contaminated the entire sewage system. Curious about the state of the sewage, I kicked a metal plate that was in my way into the water and watched it dissolve immediately. Visible static surrounded the plate as well, proving that it was impossible to cross to the other side unless there was a bridge, and so far we haven’t come across any. Possible exits on the opposite would have to be ignored for now. Any direct contact towards the water would have the static starting up again and even if I may be able to withstand the shock or burn from the acid without instantly dying, Reina couldn’t. She may be hostile towards me, but I have no reason to want her hurt. I still had a heart, which is probably the last thing left that separates me from my kind.

We didn’t get far when Reina stopped, causing me to walk right into her. She ignored me and bent down, facing what seems like a disemboweled body. Actually, there were at least 3 bodies littered along the path. The pool of blood had only just finished drying up, which means they were probably killed before we came down here. It wasn’t difficult to make out that they were from the military with the sub-machine guns and tattered uniform still remaining. I poked at the body, hoping to find anything useful while Reina picked up the guns and slung two over her shoulder, tossing the last one to me. The guns appeared to be freshly loaded. The poor soldiers probably never got the chance to fire before they were attacked mercilessly. I took the soldiers’ pouch that had spare ammo, a pair of two-way radios and secretly took a pack of cigarettes as well before running after Reina, who decided to go on ahead without me. It was hard doing all these with one hand, how am I suppose to use a machine gun with one arm anyway?

“Whatever killed those men is likely to be still around.”

I mentioned and gave her one of the radios along with half of the ammo when I managed to catch up with her. We silently agreed that it was the best if we hurried to find an escape. Increasing our pace, we eventually found a ladder leading up to a manhole. Reina handed me her weapons and climbed up to try and push the lid aside.

“It’s no use, this one’s shut too!”

I sighed and moved aside so that she could come down. The ladder’s sort of tall and narrow, so it might take a while just to climb up and down. She was barely halfway down when I heard familiar noises.

Sniff… Sniff… Grunt…

“They’re here…!”

Reina half shouted, causing me to become more alert. I looked to my sides and couldn’t see anything but badly lit lamps. However, the noise was far from just our imagination. Their grunting echoed through the tunnel, getting louder each time. I recognized those sounds immediately.

“Go on without me!”

“What? No!”

“It’ll be too late by the time I get down, GO!”

I refuse to leave. I couldn’t! I wanted to protest again, but Reina fired a shot from her stun gun right beside me. The electricity went wild and crept up my leg, sending a harmless but painful amount of shock through half my body. I bit my lip in attempt to suppress a scream; I could taste the blood now. I looked up Reina, blinking away the tears that had gathered. The numbness in my leg recovered quickly.

“Get lost already!”

She scolded me, threatening to pull the trigger once more if I disobey. I looked down the path that we came from and could see two shadows approaching. No point hoping whether they were human judging from the size of the shadows. I gave her one last look and tossed one of the guns she had me hold for her upwards. Thankfully she caught it on time.

“You better survive if you want to blow my brains out!”

These were my last words to her before I took off. I could feel her giving me a smug look and I turned around to take one last glance. The mutants had already arrived and were tying to reach for Reina. They were even attempting to dismantle the ladder. I want to go back, but I know I couldn’t. Gritting my teeth, I continued running. I heard two simultaneous gunshots echo behind me before everything went silent.

I believe that she will come back alive. She’s too stubborn to die so easily.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:29:07 PM by inDeceit »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »
The title for this chapter isn't exactly comforting.  :'(

“Why stun guns?” Reina wondered out loud while inspecting the weapon given to us.

“They didn’t have any firearms with them so these will have to do. It was all they had anyway, probably left behind by whoever owned the building before.”
They probably never thought that it would be prudent to bring their own since they had the electric fence.

I looked at the water; it was bubbling and probably acidic. I heard from someone a few years ago that all sorts of chemicals were released into the drains as a convenient way of disposal. It probably built up and contaminated the entire sewage system. Curious about the state of the sewage, I kicked a metal plate that was in my way into the water and watched it dissolve immediately.
Mental note...stay out of the water.  :shocked:

We didn’t get far when Reina stopped, causing me to walk right into her. She ignored me and bent down, facing what seems like a disemboweled body. Actually, there were at least 3 bodies littered along the path. The pool of blood had only just finished drying up, which means they were probably killed before we came down here.
Oh crud...the creatures have gotten into the sewers, and they're probably still nearby.

It wasn’t difficult to make out that they were from the military with the sub-machine guns and tattered uniform still remaining. I poked at the body, hoping to find anything useful while Reina picked up the guns and slung two over her shoulder, tossing the last one to me. The guns appeared to be freshly loaded. The poor soldiers probably never got the chance to fire before they were attacked mercilessly. I took the soldiers’ pouch that had spare ammo, a pair of two-way radios and secretly took a pack of cigarettes as well before running after Reina
Okay, the weapons, ammo, and two-ways make sense...but cigarettes? What are they going to do, give them to the creatures so that they can smoke themselves to death?  It's not like Shou or Reina have a lighter ready.

Shou also now needs to watch her back more carefully, since Reina actually now has a weapon that can actually kill her.

I heard familiar noises.

Sniff… Sniff… Grunt…

“They’re here…!”

Reina half shouted, causing me to become more alert. I looked to my sides and couldn’t see anything but badly lit lamps. However, the noise was far from just our imagination. Their grunting echoed through the tunnel, getting louder each time. I recognized those sounds immediately.
Oh crud, the creatures are nearby. They might be attracted to the scent of blood from Shou's wound.  Reina had better hurry down that ladder so they can get away.

“Go on without me!”

“What? No!”

“It’ll be too late by the time I get down, GO!”

I looked down the path that we came from and could see two shadows approaching. No point hoping whether they were human judging from the size of the shadows. I gave her one last look and tossed one of the guns she had me hold for her upwards. Thankfully she caught it on time.

“You better survive if you want to blow my brains out!”

These were my last words to her before I took off.
Reina...no! :cry:

Strange though, considering her previous blatant disdain for Shou, that she should do THIS now and tell her to run away to survive. :?

Gritting my teeth, I continued running. I heard two simultaneous gunshots echo behind me before everything went silent.

I believe that she will come back alive. She’s too stubborn to die so easily.
REINA CAN'T DIE!!!  :pleeease:

Offline shindoushiz

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • よっし!仕事へa go!まだ無いけど、しくしく
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »
heheheh, Linlin and Junjun, the wacky scientists. I bet they learned a lot of shady but useful things.

I hope Shou and Reina are successful this time with gathering info...with their lame stun guns they got for protection :roll:  They found some real weapons along the way but will they work against the monsters?

Reina sounds cold to Shou but I think it's just her yankee straightforward no nonsense talk. As long as Shou is not a danger to her and useful, she is willing to work with her for the common goal of setting the world right.

元気で行こう!
小川麻琴Dance Dance Suru no da!

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 7: Hope... ?]
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
Chapter 7 – Hope… ?

How long have I been running? I slowed down my steps and took a look around me. The walls were moldy, the lights were faulty and the pavement was slippery. I could hear my heartbeat on the same tempo as the water leaking from the pipes above me. I’m alone again. I started walking forward aimlessly, disturbed and distracted by my conscience. Why did she choose to stay behind?

I’m still blaming myself and it’s making me sick. My footsteps grew heavy along with the guilt that’s taking over. Gradually, I arrived at a dead end, but there’s a ladder hidden in the dark right by me. I slung the weapons around my neck and reached out for it weakly. It was a difficult attempt to be climbing with one hand, but I made it to the top after much effort. The lid was shut tightly, not locked, but a handicap like me can’t possibly open it with ease. I knocked against the lid with my severed shoulder. Nothing happened. I rotated my joint, took a deep breath and rammed myself against the lid a second time. I heard a crack near my neck and the lid popped open.

“….”

It was pitch black around me when I crawled up to the surface. I tried to stand up only to trip over something hard. Whatever I touched felt like metal… bars? I’m probably in the subway or something. No other choice but to keep going. It’ll be stupid to be walking on the tracks, knowing that the trains these days were automatic and likely to be still running. I moved to the side, dragging my feet across the cobbles and hoping to see light soon.

Discomfort and paranoia, all that is beginning to well up inside me. Every step I take doesn’t seem to make any difference from standing still anymore. The blackness is starting to hurt my eyes, can’t decide whether to shut them or keep it open though. Every little sound is amplified down here and any that isn’t my own sends me spinning around in fear. Even a tiny breeze brushing past my ears sends my heart pounding. Being ignorant of your surroundings is quite terrifying, more so than having to face a dead body or those monsters down there even.

Suddenly I remembered the pack of cigarettes I looted. Searching around my pockets, I pulled it out and opened the lid. Not exactly expecting it, but there was indeed a lighter squeezed between the sticks inside the small box. I’m not even going to consider myself lucky least luck decides to run off. I held a stick between my lips and lit it. I really shouldn’t be smoking since I’m underage but well... who cares. It was either be influenced by peers or resist and I fell prey to the former quickly. I kept the rest of the cigarettes in my pocket and tried to use the lighter as a source of light. That was a lousy idea as the flame was hardly reliable. I released my hold on the device and placed it back in my pocket. Taking a deep breathe of harmful substances to calm myself down, I kept a steady pace.

It’s a surprise that I can even revert back to being stable again. I should be running back to try and rescue Reina, or anything productive instead of wandering in the dark and killing my lungs, right? Well, I can’t. Sure, I’m as confused and regretful as any normal person would be in my situation, wondering why the girl who hates my guts would sacrifice herself just like that but something tells me that what I’m doing now is correct. Like I said, she’s too stubborn to die. Given her mentality about us, she’d probably rather kill herself than let them do the job. Still, I could be wrong and foolish. Regardless, I’m going to take a risk and bet on her survival.

I let out a puff of smoke that lingered in front of me and passed through it, the stink trapped in my hair. I wonder if I can get rid of the smell without shampoo, hmm. It took a long while before I managed to see a ray of light coming in from a distance. I was hesitant at first, or probably stunned from joy. Either way, it only took a second to regain my senses. I threw the unfinished cigarette to the ground and ran towards the light, finding my way to the train station.

The floor was littered with flyers and other such nonsense. There was blood smeared across the walls, broken pillars and what not. The same thing that caused this bloodshed probably won’t be back anytime soon. I hope my hunch was right, I don’t know if culprits actually do return to the scene of their crimes. I climbed up to the platform and reached for the nearest seat located beside the subway route map. I sat down and plastered my back against the cold concrete wall. It was oddly comforting to do so. With a newly developed form of paranoia, even a finger’s width of space behind was enough to unsettle me.

I bent over and buried my face in my palms. Out of the blue, a loud cackling sound echoed throughout the station. I jumped from my seat, startled at the noise at first until I noticed that it came from my pocket. There’s that cackling again. I could hear a muffled voice. Then it hit me- it was the two-way radio! I quickly pulled it out and held the device close to my ears. Silence.

<i>“Craaaack!!!”</i>

Ouch! The sharp sound caused me to drop the radio. I pressed a finger forcefully against my tragus and did not turn to look at the fallen item until I no longer felt the pain coursing through my ear. Having unconsciously shut my eyes closed, I finally opened them to peek at the radio. It wasn’t broken judging from how it started to emit sound again. The cackling died down and I moved to pick it up. Just as I was about bend down, a voice came from the object

<i>“*crack* S- *crack* Shou?”</i>

That voice!?

Offline Kreuz_Asakura

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • YOMIKI RULES!!! <3 <3 <3
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »
Wait!!!
Is that Reina?  :shock: So she's still alive?  :wriggly:
Or maybe is a new character who knows about Shou? :mon huh:  Maybe a hellopro girl?

Offline shindoushiz

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • よっし!仕事へa go!まだ無いけど、しくしく
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 03:40:47 AM »
Radio do your work, that means not making people deaf. :roll:  Some miracle must've happened with Reina :yep:

元気で行こう!
小川麻琴Dance Dance Suru no da!

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:53 AM »
A mircle? Perhaps~ I don't know  :roll:

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
Re: Shinra Bansho [Chapter 8: To the rescue]
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »
Chapter 8 - To the resue

“Reina! Is that you?”

I dropped to my knees and picked up the radio immediately, lamely shaking it as though more sounds would come out. I tapped the speaker and held it close to my ear but not like before. Once bitten twice shy, you know? I don’t want to go deaf.

“Are you okay? Where are you!? Oi?”

I shouted into the speaker, relieved that she lived yet anxious all at once.

<i>”listen…”</i>

Reception was loud and clear at the moment. She sounded weak and she was panting. That’s not normal. I kept quiet as ordered.

<i>“I’m in the south..”</i>

South? I looked at the map behind me. Right now, I’m in the central area. I’ve walked THAT far?

<i>”I’ve… found the organization…    Where’re you?”</i>

“Central. Are you alright?”

<i>”Get o- *crack * here… Argh!”</i>

Argh? ‘Argh’ does not spell okay! What the hell.

“Hello? Hey! Reina, you there?!”

The machine went abruptly silent. It wasn’t turned off on the other end seeing how there’s still some noise coming from it. Something’s not right. I ran towards the control station. The next train comes in 20 minutes, and another 30 to reach the south. I didn’t have the time to sit and wait.

I raced up the stairs, three steps at a time until I reached the outside of the station. The skies were flaming red and the streets were awfully deserted. A car! I need a car, or any damned vehicle I can find in this god-forsaken place.

I ran through the streets breathlessly. Every hovercar I approached was locked and bikes were out of the question. I looked through the window of each vehicle and finally found one with a key still in its keyhole. I smashed the window with the end of my gun and opened the door.  The vehicle was ready after some tweaking around. Now to put all those hours spent racing in the arcade to the test.

Ramming my feet against the pedal, the vehicle took off at full speed. It took me only 15minutes to reach the south without much of an obstacle. Ah, the joy of no traffic. I entered the southern region of the city soon enough and drove around cautiously. I could see the same building we fell from days ago, it was very much surrounded by ruins. It started to drizzle. Where would I be if I were Reina though?

Probably injured, out of the sewers and able to see the organization from wherever she managed to emerge from. I lowered the hovercraft and took notice of every manhole I found along the way, hoping to find traces of the girl if any. I had no luck at first. Sighing, I turned off the engine and hopped out of the vehicle.

I took to wandering on foot, checking out the alleys and corners near the manholes. It’s possible that she had crawled away to hide somewhere, and I was right. I finally found Reina huddled in a phone booth but in no state to be overjoyed about. She was leaning against the glass, pale, and probably far worse off than from what I could see. I ran up to the booth and opened the door in a panic. She was bleeding profusely from the leg and likely to have blacked out due to the lost of blood or pain. I pulled her out of the booth as quickly as I could.

“I want my fucking arm back!”

I cursed at the sky when my grip around Reina dropped on accident. Missing a limb just makes everything all the more inconvenient. I leaned her against the wall when we made it to a shelter from the downpour. I ripped my remaining sleeve of my undershirt off with my teeth and soaked it in the rain. I cleaned the blood away, washed the sleeve again and tied it around her wound to stop the bleeding. Hopefully there won’t be any infections; the rain in the city isn’t exactly clean but it was all there is. It was also disgusting having to have to tie a bloody knot with my teeth.

I didn’t know what to do next but sit down beside her and start thinking of a solution. Questions and answers ran through my head at a mile per second, but none was feasible. Not with our current state. I really want to just give up, find a safe place and stay there till I die of a natural cause. Too bad, I can’t.

... Minutes passed, or an hour for all I know.

“No! … He doesn’t want to go! … Where are you taking him!?”

I turned my head at the sudden outburst. Reina was talking in her sleep. He? Family member? Friend? Boyfriend? I mused at all the possibilities, but I’m sure she’s not having a pleasant dream with that frown on her face. She looked desperate, afraid, and vulnerable even. Just like… how I was.

“Mama…”

She went on again and… are those tears? Okay, time to wake sleeping beauty.

I cupped my hand and filled it with as much rainwater as possible. I splashed it against Reina’s face, tapped her on the shoulder, called her name but there wasn’t much of a response. I started patting her cheeks lightly. The urge to just slap her awake was strong but I held back. She really was out cold. I started shaking her by the shoulder. It took me by surprise when a fist shot out, missing my face by barely an inch. She started to stir.

“Hey?”

I greeted timidly, squatting in front of her

“…”

She just looked at me blankly. It took awhile before she remembered that she was injured and started wincing. Still, she looked slightly better than before. The wound had stopped bleeding, as bad as the tear was.

“You… alright?”

I asked again, folding one arm over my knees.

“… No.”

Ah, the bluntness I’ve grown accustomed to. Her focus was on her aching leg rather than verbally assaulting me. Good.

“What happened?”

“... What?”

“Your leg?”

“Managed to escaped… caught my leg… shit happens…”

“Oh?”

I fell back on my bottom and sat crossed legged. Feels kind of awkward right now. She wasn’t all that willing to describe her great escape to me and honestly, I wasn’t all that interested either. She sat upright suddenly.

“We have to get to the building!”

“What? But your wound! Don’t be crazy.”

“You’re crazy! I’m fine!”

Reina stubbornly tried to stand up. Was she that determined to help the mad scientists? I’ve never seen this much conviction in a person before. I got up and pushed her back down anyway.

“No.”

‘What are you-? Shut up, we’re going!”

She stared me in the eye angrily, struggling against my hold. I got timid again and gulped.

“Look, I’ll go.”

“What are you saying?”

Yes Shou, what <i>are</i> you saying? Playing heroin again?

“I’ll go search the building, you hide somewhere and recover.”

“And why are you being helpful?”

“Because you tried to sacrifice yourself earlier for me? Don’t want to owe you anything?”

“It wasn’t for you, you brat!”

“For what then?”

“None of your business.”

“Whatever. You know you can’t do it alone, that’s why you called me back, right? As much as you hate me…”

“What the? You talk too much, stop!”

I smirked at her, looks like I hit the nail on the head. She’s definitely more sensible than the average hotheaded teenager though. At least she didn’t let her hatred and anger get the better of her during times of need or danger.

”Can you walk? We need to find somewhere safe.”

I attempted to take charge of the situation. She nodded weakly with no more to protest about. Moving to her side, I pulled her arm over my shoulder and helped her up. She resorted to limping in order to move about. We walked around for a while until I found an abandoned place well hidden inside an alley. It was a sleazy drug store that had a steel door, seems like a safe place to hide. I doubt the mutants would wander this far in just to look for food too. We went in and were glad that there was some left over rations that were still edible. Electricity and water was still available. I cleaned her wounds a second time with clean water, reusing the cloth to bandage her again. Yeah, I have zero sense in first aid.

“You’ll be staying here until I get back, okay?”

“Don’t go giving me orders.”

“… I’ll take that as a yes.”

“You’ll run away and leave me here to rot anyway… why bother.”

What makes her say that? Not even half an hour and already so negative.

“I won’t.”

“Like I’d believe you. I hate you, you obviously can’t stand me and now’s your chance to leave and save yourself. Why wouldn’t you do just that?”

“I said I won’t and I won’t. What, you want a pinky promise before you would believe me?”

“Eeww no. You really are a kid!”

“Like you’re any different. If I wanted to leave you behind, I wouldn’t be here and neither would I be trying to keep you safe.”

She looked away from me. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, but I just hope she’d trust me for once. A little trust among all that hate wouldn’t hurt a fly.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you but think about it. We’ll keep in touch with the radios.”

I left her to her own thoughts and headed outside. Composing myself, I started towards the building that stood out from the rest.

Whatever I might find there better be worth it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:29:39 PM by inDeceit »

Offline Kreuz_Asakura

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • YOMIKI RULES!!! <3 <3 <3
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 11:53:15 PM »
Wow!!! She had to be really good at the arcarde if she could drive with one hand...
Poor Reina... :pleeease: maybe she lost all her family or maybe her brother was used for and experiment
BTW...
I cupped my hands together and filled it with rainwater.
I asked again, folding my arms over my knees.
I thought she had only one arm  :dunno:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:20 AM »
Chapter 7 – Hope… ?
How long have I been running? I slowed down my steps and took a look around me. The walls were moldy, the lights were faulty and the pavement was slippery.
Well duh, you ARE in a sewer. :bigdeal:

Why did she choose to stay behind?
Why indeed? Considering Reina has made it clear that she doesn't like Shou, why the decision to stay behind to give Shou a chance to escape?  Is she still intent on killing Shou herself should she survive the run-in with the creatures?

Gradually, I arrived at a dead end, but there’s a ladder hidden in the dark right by me. I slung the weapons around my neck and reached out for it weakly. It was a difficult attempt to be climbing with one hand, but I made it to the top after much effort. The lid was shut tightly, not locked, but a handicap like me can’t possibly open it with ease. I knocked against the lid with my severed shoulder. Nothing happened. I rotated my joint, took a deep breath and rammed myself against the lid a second time. I heard a crack near my neck and the lid popped open.
Hmmm...so now Shou has finally reached the planned destination? Will the coast be clear, or have some move of the creatures managed to find their way in?

It was pitch black around me when I crawled up to the surface. I tried to stand up only to trip over something hard. Whatever I touched felt like metal… bars? I’m probably in the subway or something.

It’ll be stupid to be walking on the tracks, knowing that the trains these days were automatic and likely to be still running.
An old subway tunnel? Shou had better be careful to avoid stepping on the rails whenever possible. Even though the subway probably shouldn't be running since there's no one really around to use it, there's still a chance of electricity running through the rails. One wrong, unlucky step and Shou would be in a LOT of pain.

Every little sound is amplified down here and any that isn’t my own sends me spinning around in fear. Even a tiny breeze brushing past my ears sends my heart pounding. Being ignorant of your surroundings is quite terrifying, more so than having to face a dead body or those monsters down there even.
Some people would be surprised that being surrounded by silence can be just as scary as being surrounded by loud noises.

Suddenly I remembered the pack of cigarettes I looted. Searching around my pockets, I pulled it out and opened the lid.
Not the most healthy thing to do under the circumstances, but it's not like she's going to get busted for doing it. :P

Not exactly expecting it, but there was indeed a lighter squeezed between the sticks inside the small box.
Some smokers do this for convenience's sake. This way, they don't have to keep their lighter in a separate pocket and are less likely to be caught without a light when they need one.

I kept the rest of the cigarettes in my pocket and tried to use the lighter as a source of light. That was a lousy idea as the flame was hardly reliable. I released my hold on the device and placed it back in my pocket. Taking a deep breathe of harmful substances to calm myself down, I kept a steady pace.
Yeah, Despite what might have been depicted on TV or the movies, a lighter doesn't really provide that much light (it's not it's function to, after all). For now it's better to save it just in case it's needed to light something (i.e. to blow it up) in the future.

I should be running back to try and rescue Reina, or anything productive instead of wandering in the dark and killing my lungs, right?
Well, Shou IS doing something that's potentially productive. If she can get to one of those computers and get Junjun/Linlin what they need, they could potentially find a way to stop or even cure the creatures. I'd say that's pretty useful.

Besides, if she had tried to rescue Reina the latter would have kicked her ass from here to next Tuesday. :)

Given her mentality about us, she’d probably rather kill herself than let them do the job.
Okay, now THIS has me worried.  Being told that you're one of those creatures is one thing, but when you start to refer to yourself as one of them? That's not encouraging. It's like Shou's given up, that she's resigned to the fact that there's nothing that can be done to help and possibly cure her. :cry:

I managed to see a ray of light coming in from a distance. I was hesitant at first, or probably stunned from joy. Either way, it only took a second to regain my senses. I threw the unfinished cigarette to the ground and ran towards the light, finding my way to the train station.
Hmmm...how long has Shou been underground again? This must surely be a refreshing change of pace for her.

Out of the blue, a loud cackling sound echoed throughout the station. I jumped from my seat, startled at the noise at first until I noticed that it came from my pocket. There’s that cackling again. I could hear a muffled voice. Then it hit me- it was the two-way radio!
REINAAA~!!!  :mon star:

“Craaaack!!!”

Ouch! The sharp sound caused me to drop the radio. I pressed a finger forcefully against my tragus and did not turn to look at the fallen item until I no longer felt the pain coursing through my ear. Having unconsciously shut my eyes closed, I finally opened them to peek at the radio.
Considering how loud your typical, personal two-way radios get, they shouldn't be able to get loud enough to cause any real physical pain of this severity, unless Shou happens to be wearing an earpiece.  The only other possible explanation is that Shou has started "changing", and the first thing to be different is that her hearing is much more sensitive.

Chapter 8 - To the resue
“Reina! Is that you?”

Reception was loud and clear at the moment. She sounded weak and she was panting. That’s not normal. I kept quiet as ordered.
Either she's tired from the fight, or she's somehow injured and is having a hard time breathing. :cry:

“I’m in the south..”

South? I looked at the map behind me. Right now, I’m in the central area. I’ve walked THAT far?
Well, heading in the right direction wasn't exactly on Shou's mind at the time that she was running away from those creatures.   :roll:

”I’ve… found the organization…    Where’re you?”

“Central. Are you alright?”

”Get o- *crack * here… Argh!”
Well, at least one of them found it. Reina might need Shou's help to get at the computers though, particularly if she's hurt.

A car! I need a car, or any damned vehicle I can find in this god-forsaken place.

I looked through the window of each vehicle and finally found one with a key still in its keyhole. I smashed the window with the end of my gun and opened the door.  The vehicle was ready after some tweaking around. Now to put all those hours spent racing in the arcade to the test.
Can't help but wonder what kind of "tweaking" Shou meant. ;D  Either way, driving the hovercar shouldn't be that much different from the video game...provided that the game was a realistic simulator-type game and that Shou didn't completely suck at it. :P

It took me only 15minutes to reach the south without much of an obstacle. Ah, the joy of no traffic.
If only traffic could always be like that. :lol:

I entered the southern region of the city soon enough and drove around cautiously. I could see the same building we fell from days ago, it was very much surrounded by ruins. It started to drizzle. Where would I be if I were Reina though?
That's right, Reina never told Shou where she was specifically. She might be inside the building, just outside it in the sewer, probably anywhere that could hopefully provide some shelter against the creatures. Only thing now for Shou to do is actually find her.

I finally found Reina huddled in a phone booth but in no state to be overjoyed about. She was leaning against the glass, pale, and probably far worse off than from what I could see. I ran up to the booth and opened the door in a panic. She was bleeding profusely from the leg and likely to have blacked out due to the lost of blood or pain.
Sounds like a major blood vessel was severed during her fight with the creatures. Any hope that Shou knows how to tie a tourniquet and/or that there might be a medical kit handly?  :scared:

I ripped my remaining sleeve of my undershirt off with my teeth and soaked it in the rain. I cleaned the blood away, washed the sleeve again and tied it around her wound to stop the bleeding. Hopefully there won’t be any infections; the rain in the city isn’t exactly clean but it was all there is.
Good...good. It's not exactly what one would hope for, but it's better than nothing.

“No! … He doesn’t want to go! … Where are you taking him!?”

I turned my head at the sudden outburst. Reina was talking in her sleep. He? Family member? Friend? Boyfriend?
Mmmmm...someone close to Reina was likely taken away from her, and it was against his will by the sound of it. If this incident with this person is somehow related to the genetic experiments and those creatures, we might have stumbled upon a clue as to why Reina's so hostile the way she is.

“We have to get to the building!”

“What? But your wound! Don’t be crazy.”

“You’re crazy! I’m fine!”
No, physically Reina's far from fine. A severe loss of blood like the one she has suffered has likely left her body in shock. Plus with her blood levels depleted, it wouldn't take too long for her to pass out again, which could be really inconvenient depending on the circumstances.

“I’ll go search the building, you hide somewhere and recover.”

“And why are you being helpful?”

“Because you tried to sacrifice yourself earlier for me? Don’t want to owe you anything?”

“It wasn’t for you, you brat!”

“For what then?”

“None of your business.”
Might it have been for that mystery person that Reina was referring to when she was talking in her sleep?  Maybe she really has taken to heart the claim that the Pandas think they can come up with a cure.

“Whatever. You know you can’t do it alone, that’s why you called me back, right? As much as you hate me…”

“What the? You talk too much, stop!”

I smirked at her, looks like I hit the nail on the head.
Whatever it takes to complete the mission, I guess.

We walked around for a while until I found an abandoned place well hidden inside an alley. It was a sleazy drug store that had a steel door, seems like a safe place to hide. I doubt the mutants would wander this far in just to look for food too. We went in and were glad that there was some left over rations that were still edible. Electricity and water was still available.
Lucky for them the rations and water were still there.

I cleaned her wounds a second time with clean water, reusing the cloth to bandage her again. Yeah, I have zero sense in first aid.
This time, yeah Shou should have known better. I mean, you're in a freeking drug store! :dizzy: There's bound to be some antiseptic around, not to mention antibiotics and a first aid kit (or at the very least clean bandages). Reusing an old bandage like this (even if it's been cleaned) is just risking the wound getting an infection.

Still better than nothing though. At the very least it's slowing down the blood loss.

“You’ll be staying here until I get back, okay?”

“You’ll run away and leave me here to rot anyway… why bother.”

“I won’t.”

“Like I’d believe you. I hate you, you obviously can’t stand me and now’s your chance to leave and save yourself. Why wouldn’t you do just that?”
Reina must really be trying to avoid getting emotionally attached to Shou. She's still trying to antagonize and push Shou away, even though she's come back and helped her when she was hurt.

Maybe for Reina, she's doing it so that it won't be as hard for her to kill Shou later on (as she swore she would).

If I wanted to leave you behind, I wouldn’t be here and neither would I be trying to keep you safe.”

She looked away from me. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, but I just hope she’d trust me for once. A little trust among all that hate wouldn’t hurt a fly.
Sounds like Shou hit a nerve there. What she's saying makes sense, it's logical, and it's likely true...and Reina knows it.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you but think about it. We’ll keep in touch with the radios.”

I left her to her own thoughts and headed outside. Composing myself, I started towards the building that stood out from the rest.

Whatever I might find there better be worth it.
Hopefully she'll be able to find something, PERIOD (provided of course that it's NOT another one of those creatures).

I cupped my hands together and filled it with rainwater.
I asked again, folding my arms over my knees.
I thought she had only one arm  :dunno:
Whoops...BUSTED! :wahaha:

Offline inDeceit

• tasukete honey
  • Member+
  • Korya~!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 02:03:36 PM »
Whoops, my bad. Did it at 4am you see XD
I changed it.

@Kruez_Asakura: Yeah, I can drive with one hand so.. she can too :yep: Plus, no traffic.. doesn't matter if she knocks over something anyway :3

drug store, not that type of drug.. but yeah... Ohh what the hell..

-wanders away- Couldn't access jph!p all day x_x

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tanpopo - Nenmatsu Nenshi No Daikeikaku