JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tsubaki Factory - HITORIJIME

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 484711 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1480 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:17 AM »
does anyone know how much data recovery places usually cost?
An arm and a leg, plus lots of money.

Unless your data is worth hundreds of dollars...

http://www.helpdisc.nl/helpdisc-data-recovery-tarieven.html

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1481 on: March 18, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
I've been using a proxy to enter a website, but the java chat in the website doesn't want to load.

Is it because the proxy's screwing it up? I've tried more than one, same result.

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1482 on: March 18, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »
^
I think so
it's the same for "https://" websites if I'm not wrong ...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1483 on: March 18, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »
I've been using a proxy to enter a website, but the java chat in the website doesn't want to load.

Is it because the proxy's screwing it up? I've tried more than one, same result.
The script might point to a hardcoded site, so it doesn''t use/like the proxy.

https uses certificates, they verify you have the correct site, so yes a proxy (that hides) in between fails that.
A caching proxy 'passes on' the certificate (actually the whole connecttion), but that is not what is wanted here.

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1484 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »

The script might point to a hardcoded site, so it doesn''t use/like the proxy.
The Java chat applet most likely uses a protocol for internet relay chat (IRC). It needs to specifically support HTTP/SOCKS proxies, but that Java applet problaly doesn't. Clients like mIRC do have support for proxies. See this link for a (long) explanation about irc and proxying.

https uses certificates, they verify you have the correct site, so yes a proxy (that hides) in between fails that.
A caching proxy 'passes on' the certificate (actually the whole connecttion), but that is not what is wanted here.
HTTPS uses secure socket layer (or transport layer security), which means the communication between the webbrowser and the webserver is encrypted and cannot be read by anyone, including proxies.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1485 on: March 19, 2008, 05:57:42 AM »
Ah alright, thanks guys!  :D

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1486 on: March 19, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
HTTPS uses secure socket layer (or transport layer security), which means the communication between the webbrowser and the webserver is encrypted and cannot be read by anyone, including proxies.
It is possible (ISA can for example) that the proxy (or firewall/publishing server in this case) hands out its own certificate, and use the target certificate towards the other server.
It does require that the proxy has a valid certificate, which costs money.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1487 on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
questions for anybody who uses utorrent. when I finish d/l something, it gives me an infinity symbol and won't upload anything..

also, what's the best speed to use in an wi-fi enviroment? any answers is greatly appreciated

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1488 on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »
The infinity symbol just means that you're not connecting to anyone as a seeder (which would also explain why you weren't uploading). It might just be that there aren't that many leechers on the torrent and/or there are already plenty of seeders already there that already have well-established seeding connections.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1489 on: March 24, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »
^^well, i would ask what's the best site to use torrents, but I may get opinions from everybody

also..where's the best place to d/l j-dramas? I only know of d-addicts and that's it
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:46:22 AM by cool_kickin_dude »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1490 on: March 24, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
d-addicts. Seriously, that's all you really need. Unless you're looking for old ones that they don't have. I just google the title and "torrent" and you'll probably find some tracker that has it if it's popular enough.

to search for general torrents I use ISOhunt, mininova, and The Pirate Bay. There are other ones that people use but I find those three usually show me what I need. If that fails I use google.

About uploading, it tells you how many people are dling in the peers column, if it's 0 there are no dlers. The number in the parenthasis are the number of dlers connected to the tracker(s). If you're worried about your ratio, just keep it open and someone might pop up.

I just use the speed guide utorrent has to determine my upload cap.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1491 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »
also, what's the best speed to use in an wi-fi enviroment? any answers is greatly appreciated
The simple rule: maximum 70% of your Internet upload speed.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1492 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
^how can I tell to do 70% of internet speed?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1493 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
^how can I tell to do 70% of internet speed?
For BitComet there is a 'Global Max Upload rate' under the preferences.
No idea for other torrent clients, but there should be something simular.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1494 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
like I said, utorrent has this speed guide thing in the options menu. It's a nice tool.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1495 on: April 06, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
All the HM@ episodes I've been downloading lately have been pretty nice quality, some 400+mb.

But when I play it (using Media Player Classic, because the video won't show in VLC), the audio is ahead of the video. It's like the video is lagging, but the sound is fine.

What's wrong? Am I low on memory or something?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1496 on: April 06, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »
^ I'm guessing a codec problem, but if VLC doesn't play them either (you are using the newest?) then something else might be messed up in your system.

Zero problems with audio on my end with the HM@'s

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1497 on: April 07, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »
All the HM@ episodes I've been downloading lately have been pretty nice quality, some 400+mb.

But when I play it (using Media Player Classic, because the video won't show in VLC), the audio is ahead of the video. It's like the video is lagging, but the sound is fine.

What's wrong? Am I low on memory or something?
Which encodes have you been getting, specifically, and what codecs do you have? K-Lite? CCCP?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:21:11 AM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1498 on: April 10, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
Another Q from me again. Several stuff I've dlded recently is displayed up side down.. what can I do to fix it?

This should probably go in the Tech-related problems thread.
Anyway, did you do anything to your codecs? Updated something? Installed something? Uninstalled something? Is it only with certain videos - can you narrow it down to maybe just one codec?

The recent AKB shows are upside and one vid I got from veoh, but I don't remember which one.
I haven't updated or changes anything recently..  :?

It's not a big prob, but just annoying..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:33:31 PM by BarrieV »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1499 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
^ Upside down? last time I remember that happened was with media player and had something to do with the video being interlaced.
I have it with non of the video's download lately, so it sure looks like somethig has messed up your system/codecs.

About the only simple rule I use then is: uninstall every codec(pack) you can find, then reinstall.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tsubaki Factory - HITORIJIME