JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sleep Warp - Tobuhana

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 56188 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Elder Scrolls Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
I fought and killed my first dragon last night so that was awesome. Course, the first power you get is the shout that pushes things away from you. I put it to great effect when I was back in the Jarl's court. For shits and giggles I made a save and went to the banqueting tables. All those neatly placed ornaments, the rich food and accessories? After I shouted at it, all that shit is either on the floor or splattered against the wall :lol:

Went for another quest last night into a bandit camp and had some great moments. Was able to sneak up on the first guy I saw all quiet like and got the animation for a stealth kill. Slit that guys throat and left him for dead. Had a greater deal of difficulty dealing with the bandit leader who I was meant to kill. Not only did he have an enchanted greatsword that hurt a lot, he had two bodyguards with him, one of which an annoying mage and found it hard to deal with all three of them together. I learned though that the two bodyguards were conversing underneath a suspicious looking lamp and standing in what appeared to be oil. So I tried loosing an arrow at the lamp and sure enough, it dropped to the ground and set the pair of them aflame. The captain was dumb enough to run through the flames towards me so that helped out a lot by starting off the fight with the advantage. Made it in the end.

But that raid has put me in an immediate problem with encumbrance. I've got quite a few enchanted weapons on me I want to keep and I keep sets of light and heavy armor cause I can't quite decide which set I prefer to use. And while a house is offered to me, I can't afford it. I'm confident enough to drop something in the world and expect it to be there when I return but still...I'd much prefer a permanent residency to store my stuff and a room at the inn in Whiterun isn't enough for me I think. So that's my main short term goal, earn 5000G for a house!

I want to do more quests for the Companions but a friend of mine on Facebook spoiled something that can happen and I don't know if I want that. For those interested, by completing quests for them at somepoint *SPOILERS* you will have the ability to turn into a werewolf. Sounds cool, but I dunno, I remember doing that had some big drawbacks in Morrowind that I don't want to have. Besides I don't see my character being that type of guy. I'd rather he be a 'Pure' Dragonborn if you know what I mean. Which kind of sucks because the Companions are the Fighters Guild equivalent in Skyrim so that's a big list of quests and the benefits they bring to my melee focused guy that I'm gonna turn away from. Unless there's a way around it but I want that guarantee first before doing any more quests for them. Oh well, it's not like I don't have enough quests going for me at the minute anyway (seriously, there's about 7 active side quests and I'm scared to look at how many I have under Miscellaneous)

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 10:41:19 PM »
(seriously, there's about 7 active side quests and I'm scared to look at how many I have under Miscellaneous)

I've only been doing major quests, and have a nice backlog of minor ones to do, now :bleed eyes:

Spoilers ahead:
Decided to join the Stormcloaks, because fuck the Empire. The battle to liberate Whiterun was pretty boss, and so were all the quests leading up to that. Been trying to go all magic, or magic + 1H if need be. Fuck yeah, fire! Got the shiny house in Windhelm, too!

Lydia disappeared after taking Whiterun. I guess she died or something, but I really don't care. I've only fought one dragon, and I still haven't even gone to see the Greybeards yet..

But damn, so many bugs. Pathfinding and collision detection is terrible.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 12:15:19 AM »
The pathfinding has actually saved my ass a few times. The Ice Troll on the stairs to the grey beards decimated me 4 or 5 times before I managed to prop myself in a spot where he couldn't get me and I unloaded a few dozen arrows into him from a hundred meters away. I was like two seconds away from just trying to sprint by him. :lol: Speaking of arrows, bows are definitely the way to go in this game. I'm one shotting 90% of enemies now and seeing them go limp after a stealth kill is always hilarious and satisfying. :D

Some argonian in solitude pulled me aside on the street and asked me to extinguish the lighthouse so a certain ship will wreck. He told me nobody would be hurt but when I got to the wreck.... anyways long story short don't trust anyone or you may end up fighting both sides.

I fought and killed my first dragon last night so that was awesome. Course, the first power you get is the shout that pushes things away from you. I put it to great effect when I was back in the Jarl's court. For shits and giggles I made a save and went to the banqueting tables. All those neatly placed ornaments, the rich food and accessories? After I shouted at it, all that shit is either on the floor or splattered against the wall :lol:

Went for another quest last night into a bandit camp and had some great moments. Was able to sneak up on the first guy I saw all quiet like and got the animation for a stealth kill. Slit that guys throat and left him for dead. Had a greater deal of difficulty dealing with the bandit leader who I was meant to kill. Not only did he have an enchanted greatsword that hurt a lot, he had two bodyguards with him, one of which an annoying mage and found it hard to deal with all three of them together. I learned though that the two bodyguards were conversing underneath a suspicious looking lamp and standing in what appeared to be oil. So I tried loosing an arrow at the lamp and sure enough, it dropped to the ground and set the pair of them aflame. The captain was dumb enough to run through the flames towards me so that helped out a lot by starting off the fight with the advantage. Made it in the end.

But that raid has put me in an immediate problem with encumbrance. I've got quite a few enchanted weapons on me I want to keep and I keep sets of light and heavy armor cause I can't quite decide which set I prefer to use. And while a house is offered to me, I can't afford it. I'm confident enough to drop something in the world and expect it to be there when I return but still...I'd much prefer a permanent residency to store my stuff and a room at the inn in Whiterun isn't enough for me I think. So that's my main short term goal, earn 5000G for a house!

I want to do more quests for the Companions but a friend of mine on Facebook spoiled something that can happen and I don't know if I want that. For those interested, by completing quests for them at somepoint *SPOILERS* you will have the ability to turn into a werewolf. Sounds cool, but I dunno, I remember doing that had some big drawbacks in Morrowind that I don't want to have. Besides I don't see my character being that type of guy. I'd rather he be a 'Pure' Dragonborn if you know what I mean. Which kind of sucks because the Companions are the Fighters Guild equivalent in Skyrim so that's a big list of quests and the benefits they bring to my melee focused guy that I'm gonna turn away from. Unless there's a way around it but I want that guarantee first before doing any more quests for them. Oh well, it's not like I don't have enough quests going for me at the minute anyway (seriously, there's about 7 active side quests and I'm scared to look at how many I have under Miscellaneous)

lol I have about 50 miscellaneous quests. :lol: Seems like I do 1 and 3 more pop up....

Companion spoilers: There aren't really any downsides to being a werewolf. When you sleep you can't get the well rested but who cares about that. You can transform whenever you want and can call on wolf spirit familiars. The members of the circle of the companions can all control their beast form. Also the quest line is relatively short but the last mission was so cool. And there are a lot of radiant quests after that that are actually really awesome too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:20:30 AM by zoolander »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 01:21:01 AM »
^ Oh alright then you've convinced me! I can't turn down good quests! It's just that I remember back in Morrowind there were severe ramifications for being a werewolf such as every NPC being hostile towards you. It's ok for a particular playstyle, just not my own where I want to be all chivalrous. Well, as much as possible. But if you say there's no drawbacks then...

Had a pretty funny thing happen to me tonight. Was doing a quest for a family in Whiterun. Essentially this family is at heads with another reputable family, who are richer due to their allegiances with the Imperials. The family who gave me this quest had said that they had a son, presumed dead, but were adamant that he was alive, just captured by the Imperials for his allegiances to the Stormcloaks, and they believed that this other family not only knew the son's alive, but were complicit in his abduction. So I was tasked to get into the house and find some evidence of this. I believe the suggestion was to make friends with them somehow so I could be invited in but I was like 'screw that' so I waited til about 2AM in the cover of night and lockpicked my way through the front door where I sneaked around the house trying to find something. Eventually went into this room where someone was sleeping. Sneaked past her and found a locked door. I unlocked it and walked inside into this narrow room, closing the door behind me. I searched a bookshelf and all round til I saw on the desk was a letter from an Imperial general. It had said that the son was abducted and taken prisoner in a fort and that the family should keep quiet about it. I found the evidence! Happy days!

That's when the door behind me swung wide open. 'Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit' and it turns out it was this boy who walked in through the door and was staring right at me. My first thought was 'What's a kid doing up at 2AM for a start?' and secondly there was a thought on what to do next that would make Jaime Lannister blush. Wondering what to do, the kid broke the awkward standoff.

"Cool! If I'd known something like this was in here I would have come sooner!"

And then he walked away. I watched him leave the room and made my way back outside again without being 'caught'. Too funny.

It's staggering on how many quests you could go on. I went to my room on the same night and woke up in the morning, walking around the marketplace (wanting to sell off the jewelry I picked up/forged for a profit) and saw the town blacksmith working on her forge outside her shop. Seems like she only does it in the early morning as I've only seen her at any other time behind the stall in the shop where I can buy stuff from her. When I was speaking to her, there came up a dialog option asking her about working on this forge which didn't come up any other time and because I had caught her at the right time as she was doing this, she activated another quest where I was asked to deliver a sword for her. It really is crazy to think that there could be some quests out there that I may never discover just because I don't speak to the right person at the appropriate time.

Offline jackcole

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^^v
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38:09 AM »
Hei guise I like what coachie said, how about we turn this into a "describe your adventure" thread for skyrim because I really wanna know how each player's experience can be really different from each other.

SO THIS ONE MIGHT HAVE SPOILERS!

As for me, I already shared a screencap of my character Leonidas (guess why), who may look badass in appearance, BUT DAMN he's a fucking breton mage, and I have been wearing mage robes and stuff instead of light armor. So far in the main quest, I had just gone to the Greybeards(?) to learn those other dragon shouts and, I really wanna cry because of this game's awesomeness.  :OMG:

OH YEAH and on my way to the mountain top, A FUCKING DARK BROTHERHOOD ASSASSIN TRIED TO KILL ME!!! When I looted the guy, he has this letter that says some fucking stupid guy prayed to the night mother for me to be killed  :barf:I mean, how cool is that??? In oblivion, I was the one doing the dang killing.  :rock:
^v^

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
Bought the Whiterun house too. Still need to save up to get some of the furniture.

Did the horn quest. Haven't given it back to the greybeards yet, cos I'm lazy.

Read this tip guide when looking for a way to favorite 2 different swords with one button (didn't find one). Which doesn't really matter cos I'm starting to use sword+shield.
WOAH! There's a sprint button! :w00t:

It talked about the stones in the end. So I tried lighting up the lover stone. All skills improving 15% faster is too good a deal to miss. :)

I actually rode a horse from Whiterun to there cos I like running around and looking at the scenery. Too bad I ran into the mountain that seemed to go forever. Tried falling down it, but it killed me and my horse twice... LOL at my tumbling ragdoll corpse~~ XD
So I tried riding north to see if there was an end to the mountain. Then some 3 bandits started shooting me with arrows. I was already in a bad mood, so I took out their whole dungeon. grrrr.... found some nice magician clothes in the end.

Finally gave up and just fast-traveled back to Whiterun and paid a wagon to go there, and lit up the lover stone. Did in 2 minutes what I failed to do in 2-3 hours. :P

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 10:00:09 PM »
Bought the game two nights ago. Addicting! I love it! Currently level 6, working on getting enough money to buy my first house in Whiterun. Got my first real taste of combat at the uh... Something Barrow, where I got the golden claw and the dragonstone.

I'm an Imperial woman. since I'm indecisive, I'm working on leveling up destruction and one handed combat...among other things.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32:42 PM »
I hate the sound those fucking spiders make. Creepy. Makes me want to kill them faster.

Stumbled upon a cave during my travels and came across a Falmer. One alone gave me enough trouble, but two at once just kicked my ass. Will have to come back to that one later.

I can't quite understand how people can call this game dull to look at? Bland colours? Really? I never thought I would hear something as ridiculous as character models turning players away from this game but...man. Their loss.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:10:13 PM by Tuffty »

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 12:30:34 AM »
I bought a bunch of furnishings for my house in Whiterun (Eveything except the kitchen), but while out on a quest I fought a hagraven who killed Lydia. Now there's just an unused room in my house. :( She was a good housecarl who saved my inexperienced ass in many of my early quests. My stealth has gotten a lot better. I went through two caves where I stealth killed almost everyone.

I felt really dumb because I couldn't figure out why I seemed to be carrying so much weight even when I didn't seem to have that many items. Turned out that I had a bunch of dragon scales (I think I've killed four dragons). Another reason to pay more attention. I was roaming around barefoot for a long time until I got a stealth kill that allowed me to see my feet.

Offline paraspam

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
Got the game delivered today and I've played it for 10 hours.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/paraspam/screenshot/596954390898208674

:inlove:

Offline Scramasax

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 01:35:37 AM »
So far, I've avoided the hype.  I'm holding off on buying it, for PC obviously, for a little while.  That way the modders will have all the glitches patched.   :cathappy:  But I am starting to get antsy so I'm replaying Fallout 3 again but with heavy mods.  :twothumbs

How long can I last!

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
Heard from a guard there was a dragon sighting on some mountain, so I went to check it out.
Too bad the path up the mountain also had a bunch of bandits AND 2 giants herding a mammoth.

First time I saw a giant was at level 1 and he was at his camp.
I ran up to him hoping to chat. Instead he sent me flying to Oblivion. XD So I was ready to even that score.

After summoning a Flame Atronach (my new best friend) and taking out the bandits, I started hidden arrow sniping the mammoth for tiny damage.
The 2 giants got all angry and came running at me with their clubs in the air. When they got close I did a level 1 Unrelenting Force to slow them down and took some chops.
Then one whack from the giant's club smoldered the Flame Atronach and nearly took me out, so I ran downhill like a coward... :panic: (guessing my follower was just kneeling from this spot onwards)

Summoned another Atronach. And while those 3 were partying, I used a level 1 Ice Form and took one out while they were frozen. That was when the mammoth started coming. :shocked

I ran uphill instead this time continuously summoning Atronachs for the remaining giant to one-hit "mole-bash". :oops: And started arrow sniping them again.
As they came at me, they got stuck halfway. Another bug... Or I'll just say they couldn't handle going so high up the mountain. It's chilly up there, even for mammoths. :lol:
So I ended up winning that fight pretty dishonorably. :nervous

I want to do the Red Eagle quest next. I got the sword, so I want to see how the quest ends.

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
Thieves guild :shocked: that alone was better than most $60 games you buy now days. :bow:

I also did 2 of the Daedric Quests, both were greatness. I found a stone while trudging through a dungeon and well... lets just say Meridia's quest has one of the most epic moments in gaming history. :shocked The other one I also randomly stumbled on a talking dog who promptly led me on an adventure. :3 This game is just INSANE. It's amazing all the little quests you can find tucked into every corner of the game. Some of Them 90% of people that play will never even see but they are awesome none the less.

I also bought a house in Markarth and relocated everything. The house is so much nicer than the one in Whiterun. The landscapes in that area are breathtaking and I really love the dwarven architecture style. Only problem is everyone in that city are DICKS atm. I even tried to solve a murder and got caught in some big plot and thrown in jail. -___-

One other funny thing that happened to me right as I walked into the hall at the mages college I accidentally let out the Ice Form shout which froze a group of 6 or 7 people that were huddled up. It looked like bowling pins falling over.  XD Also got to 100 pickpocket now. I can literally steal the clothes off of peoples backs. :lol:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »
Last night I was fighting a dragon in the dark with the help of my Flame Atronach and I was was doing alright. I was taking some damage, but wasn't worried about dying. Then a bear comes out of nowhere and kills me. I hate bears. I didn't do a lot of exploring last night, just two caves, one of which had a quest that rewarded me with a staff that shoots fire. After it ran out of the initial charge, I recharged a greater soul gem and now I get huge Michael Bay explosions.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
Today I made it my mission to go exploring as I've just been hanging around Whiterun for the past few hours (hours!!) so I thought about just going south til I reached the next major city (the name escapes me right now). Along the way I cleared out a mine with bandits, read some books and killed a master vampire and his followers.

Highlight of the night had to be when I ran into this group of witches. There were about three of them and I thought things were going to be fine until I noticed there was a hargraven on top of a mountain launching these fireballs at me. I think I know now what arun meant by Michael Bay explosions. Couldn't take on all of them at once so I legged it away and the witches chased after me, with the exception of the hargraven. I kept running and noticed on the compass above that I was running towards a bear claw icon. I thought I was going to make things worse by running towards a bear camp but turns out it's a camp for Stormcloak warriors. We're all cool with each other so they came to my rescue to fight the witches back. And, to my amusement, the horses started fighting them too! :lol:

So just arrived at the city where I called it a night, but before I did I have already been asked to find a dog and kill a dragon on top of a mountain. Interestingly, I've found myself levelling up the sneaking skill trees more than the warriors at the minute.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:30 AM »
I've been playing Skyrim since 8PM. It's now midnight. I have way too much fun in this game that the hours just fly by.

Of course, playing for so long means I made some progress. I bought a house in Whiterun! And it looks like shit :lol: Buying it cleaned me out though, so I'll need to build up my coins again. More excitingly, I got a message from a courier saying there was a power source in a nearby mountain, so I checked it out, turns out it's a fucking frost dragon. But after many, many times, I eventually killed it and learned a new shout, 'Throw Voice', which creates a distraction for NPC's. Think that will definately come in handy. But when I learned it, this undead priest thing popped out and I could not cope with it after fighting that dragon so I just belted it down the mountain slope to escape it.

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »
I'm to the point where I don't have to worry about money anymore, in the game at least. :lol: I'm over 90k now with 2 fully furnished houses. I've started collecting/hoarding the interesting stuff I find instead of selling. Started piles for dragon bones and mammoth tusks in the entryway of my Markarth house. Also trying to display all the treasures from the thieves guild (Greey Fox bust/Dwemer cube ect.) and fill the bookshelves.

Such a beautiful game...

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
Seen these pics?
http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=314

Damn... :bow:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »
Some gorgeous pics there. I'm already using one as my wallpaper.

This is hilarious :lol:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
Finished the Winterhold College quest.
Strange the middle quest was more epic. With its {Skeleton guys everywhere. rooar! It's huge! It's got me in its mouth like a dog with a bone! argggh~ You're Dead} :P
If only it added a little betrayal in the flashback story, I would've loved it even more.
The last one at the college ended up a bit boring. {hack hack hack hack}. At least I have a nice bed now.

Started getting the daedric stuff, only made the armor and helmet so far. :roll:

Tried some of the mods, and they're pretty cool. And more importantly, most are pretty easy to add/uninstall (just move the unzipped folder to the game folder)

Ones I've used:
skyrim 4G = My pc is 4G, so I might as well try it. (backup your original, just in case)
loading screen clock = so I don't forget to sleep.
FXAA Injector thingy = looks like a totally different game now. love it.
Skyrim night sky = With this and FXAA, I keep looking at the floor and sky and forgetting to play... :lol:
realistic water = ... then I start going under fountains/waterfalls, look up at the falling splashes of water, and for a moment think it's real. :shocked

Just curious. Any other mods/textures you guys are using and recommend? :)

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sleep Warp - Tobuhana