JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls` Generation - I Got a Boy

Author Topic: The AKB Spend-o-Meter Thread  (Read 6445 times)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
The AKB Spend-o-Meter Thread
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
As a Dutch person, I tend to look carefully after my moniez. I keep track of how much I pay for items and how much I've spend in total. Even though this can take the fun out a little bit, it does help me to put things in perspective.

What I'm interested in is the following:
- Do you keep aside a certain budget for akb48 related spendings (each month or so?) or do you just buy what you want and make up the balance afterwards.
- One thing I noticed about myself is that it's much easier to spend a lot online on akb48 stuff. For example, I'd never spend 10 euro on a dvd in a local shop, yet an akb48 book easily runs at 25 euro which I'll buy anyway. How is that for you guys?
- Do you keep a spend-o-meter? Why (not)? If so, what did you learn from it/how does it help you?

Offline aznnerd

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The AKB Spend-o-Meter Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
Talk about moneyz? I'm in lol
-I tend to buy things on the spur of the moment and then work to make up the difference. Though now that I think about it, putting aside a specific amount sounds like a good idea.
-It's also easier for me to spend money on akb stuff. I don't normally spend $7 USD on photos XD
-I haven't bought enough stuff to warrant a spend-o-meter. When I get to that point, I'd probably be so depressed about the amount of money I spen I wouldn't even bother.

I have a question: How much do you guys normally spend on akb a month?

Offline Meania

• shooting for the stars~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
:D
- I find if I have the money spare, or know I'm about to earn £30 I don't need for day to day things, I'll just blow it on something online.
- The problem I'm having with AKB merchandise lately- is as their photobooks and magazines are so cheap compared to Hello!Project (and alot more frequent it seems!) I'll pick buying Yuko's photobook and a guide book and B.L.T. over buying Niigaki Risa's new photobook- Which thinking about it, is rediculous as Gaki has been my favourite/admired member for longer and I know more about her! :O;
- I just added roughly all the money I've spent on AKB48 so far... suprisingly it's only £90ish ;  u ; but in a couple of weeks i'll spend about £40-£60 more on AKB alone XD

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline sousora

• Winter is coming.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 从・ゥ・从
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »
Do you just buy what you want and make up the balance afterwards.

Pretty much this. If it comes out that month and I want it, I buy it. I deal with whatever money I do or don't have afterwards :D

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
- Do you keep aside a certain budget for akb48 related spendings (each month or so?) or do you just buy what you want and make up the balance afterwards.

I buy what I can afford, which lately seems like a lot. :lol: I check my bank account daily otherwise, and always before a purchase to see where I'm at. Although I definitely like to support the *48's, I don't spend money I don't have.

- One thing I noticed about myself is that it's much easier to spend a lot online on akb48 stuff. For example, I'd never spend 10 euro on a dvd in a local shop, yet an akb48 book easily runs at 25 euro which I'll buy anyway. How is that for you guys?

I've been into jpop for so long I think I've gotten used to how expensive it is. :lol: The only cheap alternative is an ISO + ImgBurn. :nervous I support as much as I can, but things like 150+ dollar concert box sets are just asking way too much and usually don't get my attention.

- Do you keep a spend-o-meter? Why (not)? If so, what did you learn from it/how does it help you?

Not for AKB in particular but I do watch my finances in general. I keep it in perspective... most of the time. At the same time, I really do want to keep supporting them even if just once in a while because I really do love these groups. I love them far more than any other music or idol group ever done. The amount of joy and fun they've given me through good and bad times is immeasurable, and I really do mean that, pathetic as it sounds. :lol: But... life happens and in the end it is just a hobby. :nervous

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
Let me start by answering my own questions:

I do not keep a certain budget. Luckily, I'm in a position were I can buy what I want. However, I am extremely picky and as a result I don't buy that much at all. I also avoid using deputy services. The idea of a certain amount each month wouldn't work, because I tend to order multiple items at a time. So one months you'll spend a lot, but the next three you will spend nothing.

I do keep a spend-o-meter and I learned a couple of things from it.
- The biggest expenses are DVDs and CDs. The two priciest items I bought are DVDs. As a result, I decided not to buy DVDs anymore. I hardly watch them anyway, because it's easier to just watch the rip on the computer. Secondly, I don't buy new CDs anymore, meaning, from a store. I like to browse eBay and buy the singles from there. Sometimes, these will include the first press bonus pic and the whole thing will cost just a fraction of the original price.
- PBs seem to have the best value for money imo.
- It's really easy to spend a LOT on photos and trading cards, which is why I am avoiding buying any pics. It's hugely addictive and a massive money slurper. I keep careful track of how much I spend on which trading cards, so that if I ever decide to sell them I will know what a fair price is. My priciest card so far has been the Kasai Tomomi costume card, but I just had to have it, so I don't mind spending a bit more on it than usual.

Another note about my spend-o-meter, I also include the shipping price and any fees, so that the amount listed is the actual amount I paid for something.

I have a question: How much do you guys normally spend on akb a month?

Based on the total spend divided by months of fandom, that comes down to exactly (!) 10 euro a month. Please note, I bought my first akb item a year or so into my fandom, so technically it's probably a bit more. Secondly, like I said, I don't keep a monthly budget.. so one month if may be 0, the next month it may be 40 euro spend on akb.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
- It's really easy to spend a LOT on photos and trading cards, which is why I am avoiding buying any pics. It's hugely addictive and a massive money slurper.

Yup, if you are a foreign fan photos will outright rape you. I've done a few crescent runs in my time, and when I added it all up the fees and stuff, I spent a whole lot more than I was hoping to. I've decided to mostly quit collecting pictures that way, instead just buy and trade from people on forums and stuff. I may get on crescent once in a blue moon to get something more rare like an autographed one, though.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »

No. I'm like this with all my expenditure. I pretty much go with the flow. As an example, I blew nearly 1.5k SGD on my camera, after months of saving, and had to go on about 50 dollars of pocket money for a month. I'm not very good at keeping to a budget, so I don't bother.

Spending online in general is much easier for me. It's less of a hassle, and you also don't get stared at.

No, but I just made a spreadsheet!

General observations:
- Shipping is costing me a lot of money; Almost 35% of my expenditure is on shipping alone.
- AKB48 related books rarely go above ¥1,500
- AKB48 books are released close to each other, but not close enough that EMS is worth it
- From shipping costs, it's better to lump books under the EMS limit together, as you only pay ~¥600 for another book (from a base of ~¥800 for one)
- Total expenditure from my first AKB48 purchase: ¥3750/month

Edit:

I made a spreadsheet, that's fairly easy to use: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97185/akbspendometer.xls
Just insert rows, and the formulae will still work. Nothing too complicated though, the cdjapan coupons are added in implicitly instead of a separate row, etc.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:14:08 PM by maliciel »

Offline Crazy shizz

• Anya's Slave
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
Well, I only buy singles/albums..I don't really buy all of those photobooks,magazines, etc.

I buy them because I want to support them, but I just feel that if I could get the photobook scans and all for free online, I shouldn't buy it.
haha, but they are releasing singles left and right so right now i don't think I'll be able to preorder the 18th single.

although...Takamina's PB looks extremely promising..I'm so tempted, like you don't even know.
I'm only a kid so I can't just buy anything I want whenever I want XD

Offline Anariel

• Meronpan Society
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
7350 円 / 4 months = 1837.5 円 (~16 euro/month)

i will spend more when i find job  XD

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Since the end of August I spend 22.82 euro on AKB48, which means my spendings are declining! Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing  :lol:. There haven't been any books I wanted recently, so that could explain it. Sometimes my idol fandom goes down a bit and I start to focus on guitar equipment, which seems a wiser investment haha. However, with Kasai's calendar coming out soon and maybe Chisato's PB I'll get back to my regular spending level soon  :panic:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
Haha, I can't believe this thread is 2.5 years old already. Let's bump for all the newer members!

My AKB48 related spendings are still on decline. I decided to start up a new spend-o-meter starting from 2013.
In the first 6 months I have spent exactly $53.05 on idol related goods, which comes down to an average of $8.41/month!

The Kuumin PB was a must-have and I got suckered into buying multiple copies of SayuKuro  :lol:
My next order will be pretty big since it'll include the new Mizugi Surprise and a mag or three.

I haven't bought any pics on auction this year so far and that really brought down my spending average.
It's fun collecting and hunting for pics, but with the money I saved here I was able to buy some nice guitar stuff (:

Offline Joe

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:28:03 PM »
Interesting stuff. In my case, I try to buy what I want and can afford and then cry later when I do the math. Lately, I limit myself to blurays and sometimes cd+dvd singles. July was terrible for me, got a bunch of blurays (No flower without rain, Request Hour 2013, Seibu dome, SSA) and now the upcoming Idoling gravure bluray). This really broke me but it was my birthday month and saved for it :nervous
Big problem will be September with so many releases (Budokan concerts, MV collection, Idoling and MM concerts)  :banghead:

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »
If not mistaken, over 200 dollars in akb related items for 2013 and probably another 50-100 for sousenkyo cd and mocchi's pb possibly others XD
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 02:28:41 AM »
My average JPop spending as of right now for this year, 95% of which is 48 Group-related, is about 5800 yen a month. :nervous

I went on a magazine spree for a while, which really adds up. Settled down on that mostly so hopefully that average will go down. :lol:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
Assuming I can resist the urge to buy the newly released Sashihara and Kohima books, I'm done buying idol goods for this year!

My total idol related spendings of 2013 including shipping costs: $128.61

Which comes down to a monthly $10.72 or a weekly $2.47  :lol:

That bought me:
- Three photobooks
- One magazine
- Two CD/DVD singles
- Two photos
- One 72x trading card set

The thing which put me over the top was the Adachi Rika PB which turned out to be more expensive that anticipated. Aw well.
Finally a year with plenty of worthwhile photobook releases. Definitely worth the money, but it also means more money spent on shipping.

In the end I'm fairly pleased with the value for money. Monthly $10.72 isn't much at all and the goods brought me plenty of smiles  :thumbup

The aim for next year? Less CDs, photos and trading cards. I want to focus solely on solo releases from my absolute top favorites.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 06:37:34 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
My total idol related spendings of 2013 including shipping costs:
304 €. Much more than I thought :sweatdrop:

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Girls` Generation - I Got a Boy