JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 306386 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1360 on: September 21, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
What games are you playing, Essy? xD

*Bee runs off to comment now*

Recettear. :lol: JRPG with cute loli characters. XD Reminds me a lot of H!P for some reason, I might just end up writing a story based on it some time soon. :lol:

Also playing Samurai Warriors on my PSP during the commute to work. It's a fun and brainless way to pass time. :D

Also agreeing with what you said about the whole disjointed storytelling being hard to reel in new readers, Bee. I suppose I should get into things and hit up the action button for fun explosions what-not. Not to mention all the nifty little explanations too. ;)

Btw Bee, I was totally waiting for you to comment before I even started writing the next chapter. So comment quicker and you'll get an update sooner! :lol:

Do you guys like to write a whole story/chapter in one sitting or prefer to write a little at a time?

While I prefer to write everything in one sitting, in some cases time/tiredness prevents from doing so. XD Unless its vitally important for me to convey the same atmosphere throughout (especially if its a difficult atmosphere to convey), I can usually afford to split into several sessions of writing. But mostly I prefer to do it all at one go, since I don't get into the groove that often, and want to take advantage of it when I do. I've given up sleep on a few occasions because of that. :lol:

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1361 on: September 21, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
Do you guys like to write a whole story/chapter in one sitting or prefer to write a little at a time?well for me, it depends^^; there were times when i could get a whole oneshot done in one go, but lately i've jjust been doing little by little for when insperation hits me^^;
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline memory

• support this forum forever!!!
« Reply #1362 on: September 27, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »
@abok - that's so sweet of you abok-chan..... :shy1: :shy1: :shy1: apology accepted.... :on GJ: :on GJ: :on GJ: but you don't have to worry.... i'm not crying yet.... :sweat: i've just been very busy with assignment.... and by the way, why didn't you update Tears of memory yet....  :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: please don't tell me that you're going to stop writing that.... :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Do you guys like to write a whole story/chapter in one sitting or prefer to write a little at a time?

even though i'm not writing any fic right now, i think i prefer writing a little at a time cause it will give more idea and inspiration.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #1363 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »
Ideally all at once but it usually turns to a little at a time. >_< I agree that it changes the atmosphere, which I hate...but such is life.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1364 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Too disappointed with relationships, people, and the world in general.

I think my stories may take a darker turn because of it.

So don't expect any sweet fluff from me. Heh.

Goddamn I can be a cynical bastard most of the time.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1365 on: September 27, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
^ Well don't be hard on yourself, I think many feel the same way, and I had that same feeling when I started writing it out. but maybe that is why people do like your writing in general and I guess it gives them more comfort but I guess how they feel could differ from how you see it and how they see it

Don't get too hard on yourself for being cynical :)
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1366 on: September 27, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
It's not really a matter of people liking my stories or not, I know for a fact some of them do. I also heard that some people dislike me for being me, but that's their problem.

But my jaded sense of the world around me makes it difficult, if not impossible, to write a truly happy ending of my own volition. Unless I'm writing to fulfil a request or something. But otherwise the dark tone of most of my work reflects how I see life.

I want to believe that love works, but sometimes it can be so hard. I don't believe in much of anything anymore. On occasion I can have some bright spots, but as a whole...I've been so drained by the people around me that I just want to withdraw into myself. But withdrawal does nothing good as well, and it's just so easy to despair...

Sorry to bring this here, but well. I'll keep writing because I just can't say anything to anyone, and the only way for me to say anything true is to write. Or at least, one version of truth...so relative a concept, that. Heh.

Can't see anything or anyone. No one left to talk to either. I guess I'll just bury myself into more writing...that might work...

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1367 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
^ I have the same feeling most of the time, despite a optimistic exterior, I tend to stay away from a lot of different things, and I understand on how writing creates that world that you don't have to stay in real life but I try to see what can you make positive for yourself, it may be difficult, but keep with your contacts and you should be fine
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1368 on: September 28, 2010, 04:37:11 AM »
^^ I think I have the same mindset when I actually have the time to just stop and think about things. You just end up realizing how crappy things are when you really start thinking. I guess that's why I like to keep myself busy most of the time. It just gets scary when you think you're alone. I'm not even sure if it would help to know that there are people other than me that think like this. I think that the right person just needs to be found. Personally, I haven't found anyone I want to talk to... but, at one point in my life, I decided that happiness is a choice. I guess it's like I mentally slapped myself and said, "Screw it, I'm gonna be happy."

After typing up this post, it makes me wonder... what kind of person would you be willing to talk to? Somebody similar to you, somebody totally different from you, somebody who would be extremely blunt and tell you to suck it up, a complete stranger, us?

^ It kind of sucks, doesn't it? The fact that some of the people that seem the happiest or most optimistic can be the ones that are the most depressed and/or angry. I always feel shocked when somebody tells me that I always seem happy or that I seem kind of emotionless. It scares me that I've gotten good at locking away any negative feelings I might have. But then all we can do is make the best of things, right? Dwelling on the negative for too long won't do anything except make things worse. If you really want to be happy, then you'll find a way right? Or am I naive in thinking this way?

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1369 on: September 28, 2010, 04:49:16 AM »
^ I feel realistic, optimistically seeing that now may suck but in the end I should get better, true happiness to me is realizing that you got yourself motivated to take that step and don't moan about the now, I learned that a while back that for how much I bitch, as long as I can hold up my end I should be fine
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1370 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:29 AM »
You guys are right I think, and that was a very good way of putting it, Tundra. Really, in the end, to be happy you need to decide to be happy. Thinking about what's been going on with me lately - I could so easily just shut myself in my house, go to work every day cause it'd make a good and decently comfortable living, just play games and maybe read and write my days away... but I also know from past experience that if I do that, unless I keep myself just "distracted" nearly every single breathing second, there'll be a time when I start thinking about things, and I'll realize how lonely I am. A few of those thoughts might make me feel depressed for a time, but if it lasted for years I'm sure it'd completely overwhelm me and I'm not sure I'd be able to branch out. So instead, I make the choice to try and go out... go to some school clubs and meet people even though they might be years younger than me, and maybe I'll find some friends and some people to really talk to, but if nothing else at least I'll have people to talk to.

Maybe this isn't an option everywhere, but I think there can be a choice in anything. No matter what kind of shit might have happened to you in your past, if you're alive and moving you have the opportunity to start from that day and life how you wish from then on. It might take some work, and it might be hard, but you're making the choice to do what it takes every day from here on out to make yourself happier. If you get yourself out there, you never know what might happen. I feel like I return to myself every time I talk like this, but that's why I'm doing that... it may be risky... but it's better than the alternative I know is skulking there in the shadows ready to claim me.

I know you might listen to me enough as it is, but I just feel compelled to always throw in another 10 yen.

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1371 on: September 28, 2010, 11:24:11 PM »
i tottaly agree with dra dra and rokun. i was (and still kinda am)the same way rokun put it. since i cant go out much due to my mom's working i'm pretty much at home 99.9% of the time. all i pretty much do is stay on the computer and play some games and do my work, but it gets to a point to where its so lonely. i even cry about it at times. i was like that all summer until college started. that's when i saw everyone talking and haveing a good time while i was by myself.

lol idk what im trying to say but in short eventualy i try to find fun things to do to keep my mood up. i draw silly doodles of a little raccon thing i've started drawing and i litsen to H!P or Perfume, AKB,SNSD, postitive songs XD and of course i write cute stuff lol.

but just keep ur self in a good essy. ofcourse there's gonna be times where u will have down and negative days but there's always tomorrow and u can or should always look forward to it being brighter and better than the day before ok?

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #1372 on: October 04, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
Recettear. :lol: JRPG with cute loli characters. XD Reminds me a lot of H!P for some reason, I might just end up writing a story based on it some time soon. :lol:

No idea what that game is.  XD
You're lucky you understand such a holy language. Tee hee. ^__^

I'm a fan of RPGs too, but only those I can understand (yay for Shin Megami Tensei, FF & Elder Scrolls!)  :heart:

I suppose I should get into things and hit up the action button for fun explosions what-not. Not to mention all the nifty little explanations too. ;)

:rockon:

Btw Bee, I was totally waiting for you to comment before I even started writing the next chapter. So comment quicker and you'll get an update sooner! :lol:

:mon cute:

Honto? ... lol

I'm really happy to hear that, but please don't wait up on me... my commenting will be on a scale of very crap to non-exsistent in the following few months because 1) It's my last two months of uni and study EVER, which means 4 assignments + a huge 5000 word research paper T___T 2) I'll be overseas on holidays for all of December and half of Jan...

Meaning: when I get back, I expect all fanfics to be well and truly finished!   :lol:

But yup, of course I'll comment when I can  :)

I also heard that some people dislike me for being me, but that's their problem.

I think you're an interesting writer, Essy. I can understand why people might clash with you and what you represent (not that I do myself, it's just something that I can tell... >.> hehe), but definitely don't warp yourself to fit anybody else's expectations.

I want to believe that love works, but sometimes it can be so hard. I don't believe in much of anything anymore. On occasion I can have some bright spots, but as a whole...I've been so drained by the people around me that I just want to withdraw into myself. But withdrawal does nothing good as well, and it's just so easy to despair...

*pats Essy* (I hope it's okay to pat Essy o.o)

There there... for some of us, love is easy... for others (most others!), it's extremely difficult and may take a lifetime to realise. Some of us may never experience true, heart-racing love either. Whatever happens, I just hope you don't give up. ^___^

Falling into despair is easy, but it is hardest on your heart. Don't burden yourself with such feelings if you can help it!

Personally, I haven't found anyone I want to talk to... but, at one point in my life, I decided that happiness is a choice.

:bow:

Exactly, Tundra...

I'm from a Buddhist family, and though I'm no hardcore devout, I do have to agree with some of the teachings I've learnt about.

For one, that all feelings that we go through are simply fabrications of our mind. Nothing in the world can actually make you happy, sad, angry, or embarrassed - everything you feel is ultimately up to you. The things around you may have some sort of impact/influence on you, and a lot of us are inclined to feel things because of our personalities (e.g. why I get so flustered in public speaking).

But if you think about it, you can't blame anything or anybody else for your feelings...

This is an example I always remind myself... when my brother does something annoying to get me riled up, it's not HIS fault that I'm angry, it's MY fault that I'm angry, because I had the choice (and the ability, I'm sure) of simply ignoring him, not to be affected and keep calm. Instead, I let my feelings take over. It's why I hate myself when I can't control my temper. I know I can avoid burdening myself with such heated feelings... xD

So really, what you feel about life is up to you. You can weep over your negative experiences or you can decide to soldier through them, learn from them, become stronger from them. Even if it feels like the world is against you and you will never find your way, keep persevering. At least by persevering you keep yourself in the game and open to opportunities/possibilities. You may still get hurt and have to endure the worst of hardships, but you will reap the rewards too (even if you don't realise it now!). Giving up is in no way beneficial to you or anybody around you.

Anyway, I am of the belief that the more you suffer, the better a person you can become.  :grin:

I hope you find your way, Essy.

:heart:

---

That was way off topic... gomen  :sweatdrop:

Just wanted to say... cheers for all the fanfics, guys. I love all of you for writing and for loving writing and for sharing your writing.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

I hope I can catch up with every current story when I go off on holidays and can spend all the boring hours travelling just reading.  :yep:

! ! ! Question time ! ! !

What do you find most difficult about writing and/or consider to be your weaknesses?

- Keeping the flow (transitioning from one scene to another) - I don't feel my transitioning is very effective. Can be heavy and awkward. I want it to be lighter, smoother T__T
- I don't think I'm very good at effective characterisation either. It's why when I see good characterisation, I have to openly admire it. xD
- Finding consistent motivation to write.
- I have to work on my plots. I tend to fall into writing about rather mundane things  :lol:
- Finding the right balance of showing and telling, as well as judging how much detail to write in. Sometimes I feel like I overwrite, and at other times I find my writing underwhelming... so finding the middle ground for most things is a constant struggle for me.
- Thinking too much about word choice and sentence structure. I have to stop being so... anal...  XD
- Finding a good ending is usually problematic for me.
- Pacing. Pacing is hard. >.<
- Trying to translate exactly what I envisage in my head into words... I think most of the time, my written expression does no justice to my imagination   :yep:

What do you find easiest about writing and/or consider to be your strengths?

- Dialogue. I like writing dialogue and it always comes more easily to me than most other things to do with writing.
- Planning. Not sure why, but I really love the planning process. If I could plan forever without writing, I'd do it. Very strange, I know.  :lol:
- Grammar, spelling and punctuation... I've been teaching these basic English mechanics for years now, so it's only fitting that I consider it a strength. ^___^

:cow:

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1373 on: October 04, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
That was a wonderful little speech there. And you get nervous when speaking publicly?  XD

What do you find most difficult about writing and/or consider to be your weaknesses?

*Details. When I think of a plot, it's all images and feelings, so describing what I see is always a hard part.
*Too Much Romance. I'm a romantic at heart, so this always colors my stories, quite unnecessarily sometimes. I'm always saying that I hate action movies with obligatory romance in them and yet, here I am. That, I would say, is a weakness.
*Just sitting down and typing that stuff out. THE hardest part about writing/typing is the writing part, for me. I just can't describe how much it sucks to know exactly what I want to say, have a bazillion scenes running through my head in perfect order and just sit down, put my hands on the keyboard and nothing happens.  :banghead:
*Typos. They're everywhere and I sorely apologize to my readers, because it just can't be helped. Even if I proofread, I still miss it. XD
*Endings. Whether a chapter end or a scene transition, I suck at closing things. Frequently I'll end up with a cop out line or my characters basically saying "Next scene, GO!" Urgh...
*Dialogue. I quite enjoy writing out and making speeches and sarcastic banter and such. Usually to the point where my characters just need to shut up for five minutes and give the reader a break.
*Plots. They're usually cliche and predictable. Once you start in on one of my stories, you already know how it's going to end. I have a hard time doing something drastic, like killing off a character or having a romance not work out in the end. Mostly because it's quite depressing for me to make my little characters, whom I've grown so attached to, suffer.
*Too Much Perv. Another weakness is that I'm a huge perv, thus all of my characters are as well. I cannot, for the friggin' life of me, make any of my innocent characters truly innocent.
*Making out of character people. Let's face it, Badass Risa would never happen.

*Action. I've found that I really like to write out action scenes. I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it, but it's certainly easy enough for me to pop out.
*Details. Yes, I know this was on the weakness part, but sometimes, when I actually get my point across, it doesn't come out half bad. XD
*Inspiration. I usually get inspired very easily, so having ideas is never trouble(hence a multitude of one-shots floating around my computer). Just having GOOD ideas is the hard part. :lol:

Umm, I think that's it. No, I know I'm missing a couple points on the weakness part. I might add more later.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1374 on: October 04, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
@Bee: Thanks for the comprehensive reply. :D I feel a little better now actually, sitting with my laptop at Starbucks. Completely alone (well, metaphorically speaking). But just the way I like it. I think I'll probably do this more often when I can afford to. :lol:

Oh and, Recettear has an English version, which is what I'm playing. I find the mechanics fun since it's basically a mix of being a merchant (buy low, sell high), and dungeon crawling. It kind of reminds me of Persona, but with less magic and seriousness. XD I mean, there's Social Links in Persona, but here it's more like...customer levels (since you own an item shop and all...). The recurring characters are all pretty hilarious, and there's one lady thief there that totally reminds me of Miki...which is testament to how awesome she is. :lol: Also, the main character and her friend/partner/tutorial guide totally reminds of GakiKame... ("How, HOW is it possible for anyone to sleep that much?!" -- actual game dialogue XD) Not to mention all the backhanded references to old classic video games, like Dragon Quest. The humor cracks me up, it does. XD Everyone should try it just for the lolfactor.

But anyway, getting off point. And ooh I see shiny new question! *pounces*

- Finding the right tone for things. It can be really difficult to get started, especially for someone like me. I'm too finicky about little things, and I get too easily distracted, so I can get derailed very easily instead of doing what I was originally doing. Sometimes those derailments have good payoffs, like leading me to solutions I hadn't thought of, but most of the time I get distracted and end up doing something else, thus preventing me from doing my research for writing. Lol. I make it sound like homework...

- Getting into character can be really difficult too. A lot of time I just end up sitting there, spacing out, trying to figure out the what and whys. Who is this person? Why are they doing this? What are they doing it for? Do the inside and outside match? If they don't, why? And if they do, how can they be so honest, or not? I tend to go into obsessive detail for some of them. Haha.

- Which leads to one of my major weakness. I tend to overlook the minor characters, or just reuse stock characterisations. I feel like I should be developing them completely, even if not all of it is shown in the end. I need to know my characters inside out, but that can be a problem if I have a problem liking or caring about one of the girls, this being H!P fanfic and all. That said, I can be extremely biased towards my favorites. Yes, I said it. Haha. I know I sometimes make Ai incredibly OOC, but then again, I keep throwing her into the weirdest scenarios (woo assassins, vampires, nuns on one occasion...). So I can't expect her to be the same person as she appears to be IRL, ie. an idol. At least that's my justification. Lol. I can only hope she isn't too deus ex machina. Ah well, need to keep the fangirlism in check...

- Another weakness of mine is lack of personal detail. Oh I know how people tell me I go into excruciating detail sometimes, but what I meant was little things like how they look, what they wear, etc. Human details, what have you. One of my worst failings is that I pay only cursory attention to how they look. I make weak attempts to describe things, but usually they're just generalizations. I guess it's a reflection of my personal vision. I don't really pay much attention to people and how they look, unless they give me reason to. And even then, I feel like I'm not really looking at what they wear or things like that. I'm usually more interested in what they're up to, what they're thinking and/or feeling, trying to get a read on them, basically. Of course, outward appearance plays a factor with that, but like I said, I find it difficult to pay attention to things like that. Basic flaw with me I guess. I'm trying to work on it though, but I'm woefully hopeless with fashion and the like, so don't expect any descriptions like something out of a fashion magazine anytime soon. XD

- Another thing worth noting is probably how overinvolved I get with my stories and characters. I literally live and breathe them while I'm working on any piece of writing. I am everyone and no one in the story. I am the protagonist speaking, I am the villain scheming, I am the wallflower observing things. Hell, I'm the vase in the background, the sun above. I am God in my own world, as fanciful as that sounds. This personal connection can be useful, though I do have to take a step back to be able to review things with a critical eye. I find that I can only be objective only after a certain amount of time has passed, which can be anything from days to weeks, even months. Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that it can be terribly inefficient to work like that, because if I don't feel in the zone, I can't write at all. I need to be more disciplined about the whole thing if I want to be consistent and all. Heh.

-Oh and how I forget having the time to actually devote to writing/research? :D That's like, a major obstacle. XD Not to mention natural laziness...

- Endings. It's hard to find a good ending, or just the right one. I tend to be pessimistic, so I rarely have happy endings. Lol.

- I guess my strength lies in the ability to make links and conjure up situations and stories out of nowhere, and spontaneously as well. As Yuuchan and doubtlessly rokun have probably noticed, since I occasionally go on word vomits with them, I tend to figure stuff out on the spot, telling the story in abbreviated form right there and then in the IM window...well, usually the background leading up to the story. I can't write something without knowing what was behind the actual story. Lol. Though just as consistently, I correct and change whole concepts and themes during the actual writing, so the first "draft" that comes out of a brainstorming session like that doesn't always gets adhered to.

- Which leads to something that is probably a strength of mine, that is, research. Lol. I look at things in the real world to inspire me to things. I wiki surf a lot, and sometimes I have so many tabs open that it's hard to keep track of them. I have a lot of random info that makes it easy to make links and tell a convincing story (at least, I hope).

- And that's what I find easy about writing, that is, after I get past the tedious plodding around of finding the right atmosphere and content for my work. Once I get started, with everything in place, the story tends to write itself. I just follow with the moment, letting events guide me even as I shape them with my own hands. The only thing I have to worry about is if it's coming out right during the process. Lol. I stop to spot-check every few lines, in between paragraphs, etc. That's why the average Gegenschein chapter (the current one I'm writing), takes at least 3 hours, and that's for something relatively short. The original Gegenschein has chapters averaging something on order of 5k-7k words, and that takes at least twice the amount of time. Ah well, me and my crazy nitpicking over details. XD

- Another thing I think I'm good with probably seems to be details about scenery. I like setting up atmospheres. It's like painting a picture and inviting the audience in for a looksee. Haha. I enjoy creating situations and scenarios. There's a certain beauty about background, and I love slipping in little details that hint at things about the plot, the situation, or just the characters themselves. These things are very important (to me anyway).

- Gore. I'm good with gore (at least I think so). Violence, and the action that goes with it, is kinda something I take to naturally in writing. I feel like fighting can be more honest, though I suppose I enjoy a good tension-filled scene where lots are being said without a single word being uttered. Except writing those can be awfully draining (I'm looking at NR...). Heh. Writing action gives me an adrenaline rush. :D

- I'm good at bad endings. You know what I mean lol. I have a lot going for me when I write angst, though I like to think that the way I convey angst is a lot different than the average fanfic writer who's just writing for fun (not that it's wrong or bad, just different). I don't really need to throw in a dramatic handicap or problem to make it a problem. Sometimes all you need is a simple little misunderstanding, or just one small problem that escalates...angst can be subtle and painful too! People don't need to die to make it sad. Sometimes it's more painful if they live and things don't work out. Just saying. XD

Can't think of anything else at the moment. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1375 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:09 PM »

-my ability to be creative =.=; i can never think of an original idea. i get it from like vocaloid,perfume,and AKB48 songs XD so i feel like it sucks i cant make up my own idea's>.>

-descriptions..i FAIL at them XD even with all the practice i've been doing of trying to be more descriptive with the things around me i cant get  teh image right>.<

-word choice i suck at using other words other tham the usualy 'happy' XD does that make sense?

-my innocence XD i have no idea what it  feels like to be in a bf or gf relationship...or the pervyness os smex XD

-there's alot more but i cant think of what else it could be atm^^;

-my innocence is a plus and a negative to me cus i guess the fluff i put is all my little mind can take ^^;

-and i gess even if it doesnt count as writings i say i make some pretty good banners for my stuff and other ppl on here^^;

i guess what im trying to say is that i think i'm megga fail XD but someone likes my stuff so i guess i'll just keep them happy XD

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1376 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »

-Describing certain aspects like mood, background, and dress, etc
-Working my stories to the climax, the explosions go off without knowing where it is coming from :nervous
-Length, I tend to keep everything short and maybe once in a while I would tend to have a long one

- Dialogue, easy to explain and better choices in doing this
- Finding inspiration to start a fic or one-shot
- Simplified, I don't try to hide certain aspects although I barely try to even hide flaws :lol:
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1377 on: October 05, 2010, 05:28:38 AM »

- Details, of course. I like simplicity when explaining things. My brain fails at coming up with adjectives and adverbs to use. I completely fail at describing a character. Actually, I don't think I really have really described any character physically yet. I might have subconsciously avoided doing that. I really don't pay that much attention to how people look. Ask me to describe anyone and I will fail. Ask me to describe their clothes and I will probably spaz out a bit. I tend to end up leaving the audience to basically create the scenery themselves from their experiences. I could try to use the excuse that some of the settings I use don't have much to describe, but then there's so many ways to describe "nothingness" that I'd end up being a liar.

- Time. I take forever to write a chapter. It took me forever just to type up this post.  :lol: I'm not really sure why I take so long. It might be because I'm used to procrastinating and pushing my brain to work under a time limit. In this case, there really isn't enough pressure to push me to write fast and I'm afraid that, if I work too fast, the quality might decline. I also hate writing in pieces so I like to find the time to sit down and write a whole chapter. I just can't bring myself to write a little bit at a time. No wonder I haven't updated in so long.  :P I still haven't even written chapter 1 of Paths.  :banghead:

- I have an extremely hard time whenever I begin writing. I completely suck at introductions and such. I go crazy trying to figure out where, when, and how to begin. The first sentence of a chapter will always be the hardest for me. It will take me quite a while to get into a good rhythm. Until I get into something like a "writing mode", I'll get distracted fairly easily. The first chapter of anything will probably be one of my worst, which leads me to my next weakness.

- Lagging a story. I take forever to get to my point. Often, the first chapter ends up leaving a lot to be desired and tells the readers little to nothing about the plot. The first chapter of Dreams could easily be a one-shot. It basically ended up almost as a filler to move the story along. I really regret not combining certain chapters. So many filler-like chapters in Dreams so far that it kind of pisses me off.  :P I really need to move the plot faster. I guess this is why I end up looking at random chapters in the middle of a fic whenever I look for a new one to read. I always feel that the first chapter should set up a lot for a fic but, since I fail at doing so, I tend to just look for interesting things when a story is already fairly built up.

- Information. What I mean by that is I sometimes don't give enough or I give more than I intended to. I'm pretty sure that, on several occasions, I have had to stick information in the next chapter because I forgot to put it in the last one. In other cases, I'm just like "oh crap, that wasn't supposed to be there". I don't know if it's just that I'm forgetful or I suck at planning.... I'm pretty sure it's both.  :lol: It's just how I am.

- Repetitiveness. When I think back, my brain screams "They get it already!!!". I just feel that I tend to repeat things a lot. There's not as much of a balance. I don't know if I'm talking about the focus, the thoughts, the dialogue, or what. I just have the feeling that I'm repetitive. This goes back to lagging a story though and leads me to another weakness.

- Focus. There are times when I jump around. Times when I'm pretty sure at least a couple readers have gone "Where the hell did that come from?" or "Why is that even here?" Sometimes it's because I'm trying to add some information I forgot to add before and other times it's because I can't think of anywhere else to put something. In any case, it just comes out awkward.

Alright, I can't remember what other weaknesses I had. There are so many that I got lost in typing about them. XD

- Dialogue. It just seems to flow for me. I don't know if it's good or not but it's definitely an easier part of writing for me. After all, it's mostly just typing up whatever the characters say in my head.

- Hiding things. I like hiding things a lot:P Things that probably few would pick up on unless they knew me extremely well and liked to jump to extreme conclusions from just a couple words. I like to hide important clues in information that seems not so significant. In one or two cases, I think one paragraph or even just one sentence was a kind of foreshadowing. Really really vague hints but yeah. No wonder I always feel like a lot of my chapters are fillers. I might just hide things a bit too much. :smhid Did I just kind of turn this into a bit of a weakness too? XD I also like to use perspectives and human limitations to hide things too. I always wonder if there's a lurker out there somewhere that can see through everything in my writing.  :huhuh

- Personalities and emotions? My brain isn't really functioning right now so can't word things. I feel I really understand my characters. I like to probe their brains and hearts. Wow, that sounded disgusting... In any case, I like to make sure that I understand what my characters felt, what they feel at the moment, and what they will feel in the future. I try to make sure that I set up the right situation for things. They need the right motive, the right trigger, the right setting, the right people, etc...

- Plot ideas. I'm not really sure about this one actually. I try to use things that I haven't read about before. Daydreams are wonderful. I have a bunch of ideas jumping around in my head that are trying to break out but I'm trying to limit myself from starting too many things at one time and not making progress on any of them. I probably won't run out of ideas for a while but that doesn't mean I won't have writer's block.  :sweatdrop: I try to make things as plausible as I possibly can if the setting is our world and I try to make sure that the magical realism doesn't defy the laws of physics too much even if the setting is an alternate dimension/world. *sighs* Now if only I could describe these things that look so wonderful in my head.

- Grammar. It's like I have OCD sometimes and the auto-correct is turned on in my brain. My last two English teachers have created this habit in me. I think I do an okay job of making sure sentences don't sound awkward and is in the correct tense and all that. That doesn't mean they won't be awkward in relation to the rest of my writing but at least they won't be awkward-sounding sentences if they were read alone.  :lol:

I really haven't had enough experience in writing fanfics to know my strengths so it may just be wishful thinking for the strengths. XD Aahhh, so much to improve. Mada mada dane..... crap, Prince of Tennis is somehow still stuck in my head even though I haven't watched it in years.  :P I'm so lame.  :O Was that another weakness? Cheesiness? I really don't know anymore. I need somebody to actually tell me what my weaknesses and strengths are.  :lol:

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1378 on: October 05, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »
Why am I writing this so late at night? Oh yeah, ate popcorn too late... Still, I suck at this type of thing, but at least reading some others' comments made me think of a few of my own.

- Seeing Windy's post above me, Time is definitely big for me too. everyone who reads me knows I can take ages to post updates, even though I usually do get around to it with stories I've invested in. It also takes me awhile to write stories, probably somewhere along the line of what Essy mentioned above. I don't normally just sit and do it straight through anymore though... especially with some stress in my personal life lately, and me doing more social outings.

- Time passage/scene breaks. I was just talking with someone about this a little while back. I have a really hard time making time pass in my stories, because I want to write detail of pretty much every moment of the lives of characters in my stories...  maybe a nice ambition, but not something that necessarily lends itself to good writing. However, when I try to make time pass it just comes across seeming rather awkward to me.

- Action. I guess I didn't watch enough martial arts movies like the rest of you when I was young. Or anime. I might be able to write a little bit of a swordfight or something, but in general I fail at writing action detail. That's why a lot of my chapters end up being rather boring I think.

- Length and boringness. To kinda expand on the last one, I tend to write fairly long chapters... and without much action in them, they end up being boring I think. It's all development or such, and I think loses some people in the words lol. Maybe that's helped sometimes, especially recently, by more romantic-type action, but that kinda leads into my next point...

- Too much Fluff/Sex. Yeah I'm a perv. I'm sure everyone knows that by now. Everyone I know definitely knows that. Or is it just jphip? Either way, I think I tend to throw too much of that into my stories to where that's basically all they're composed of (hence all my pervs). I like to think maybe I at least lead up to it somewhat decently, but I might not. This is actually something that's come up more lately too I think. Pairings generally tend to take over, and it seems to be what everyone wants to read... so I fall into that trap and write a lot of it heh.

- Too many characters. I think I confuse people sometimes with the large casts I tend to end up with. That's why I've been trying to keep cast lists at a minimum with my more recent stories - KP is intended to focus solely on 8nin MM, and FY was originally only supposed to have 8 H!P cast members (though that number's grown to 10 at least now...). Then again, at least that story's an epic which should be capable of supporting a larger cast.

Umm, this is hard since I've never really considered myself as much of a real writer.

- Spelling, grammar etc. I'm quite perfectionist when it comes to language, and perhaps that's why I ended up getting my degree in language. It bothers me when I see grammar or spelling mistakes. I mean, really bothers me. If a word or two is misspelled in a chapter it can potentially turn me quite a bit off it *shifty glance at Windy* Of course, whether I'm that perfect myself depends on how late at night it is when I go to edit each update...

- Detail. I don't really know what to say about this myself, but people tell me I do it well. I do try to insert things as much as I can like clothes descriptions, setting descriptions etc. like Essy was talking about. I'm not exactly a fashionista, but I think I've been getting a bit more into it as time goes on and as I get more into Japanese youth.

- Sexiness. Not too much more to say about this, so I won't.

- Accuracy. Especially since I've been to Japan, I try to make things in my stories as accurate as possible when they're supposed to relate to something in the real world, such as Tokyo settings or certain types of food and cultural/social idiosyncrasies like what come up in FY. Japan has been an academic and personal study of mine, and I like to try and make it feel as real-world as possible, whether contemporary to us or historical. I'm not sure if I'm as great at research in general as Essy is - definitely not as dedicated - but I like to think I have good experiences and self-learning to pull from.

I'm not really sure if I'm good at much else... but if I think of anything I suppose I'll add it when I do.

Offline Tundra Wind

• Member+
« Reply #1379 on: October 05, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »
^ Wait... :mon wtf: What's with the shifty glance. What did I do? Did my autocorrect fail me again somewhere? Don't make my OCD take over!!! Excuse me, my brain tend to malfuntion a bit more than usual when I'm lacking sleep.  :mon innocent:

Edit: Wow, I really am lacking sleep. It took me a while to figure out what the shifty glance was about. :P At least it wasn't even close to as bad as something I would do for Sukoshi.   :lol:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:16:08 AM by Tundra Wind »

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask