JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Sexy Music

Author Topic: The General AKB48 Fanfic Discussion Thread  (Read 333168 times)

Offline LeNosferatu

• I Daydream and Annoy People
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Hypocrisy Kills, So Does Your Smile
Re: The General AKB48 Fanfic Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
My actual question in the Golden Rule thread, SomethingWild-san  :) if you don't mind to take a look and please give out solution to prevent further arguments out of this. Thank you in advance  :)
Email: delilahhere@hotmail.com

Tumblr: 48andtheconceptofbreathing

Fanfiction blog: hoodednosferatu.blogspot.com

| 柏木由紀 | 平田梨奈 | 山田菜々 | 島田玲奈 | 矢神久美 | 村重杏奈 | 秋吉優花 |

| Kashiwagi Yuki | Hirata Rina | Yamada Nana | Shimada Rena | Yagami Kumi | Murashige Anna | Akiyoshi Yuka |

Offline arisa03

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Hello SomethingWild-san

Script Writing are stories written in:

Speaker: <words> (action)
Speaker 2: <words> (action)

and everything else, pretty much what they do for Stage play Scripts.

Labeling such is, putting on the title of the thread a very brief summary of what it is. (AtsuMina) (Title), or more like nowadays (Script)(AtsuMina)(Title), or very much in the near future (Script)(AtsuMina)(Title)(Contains Vulgar Language)

Also, I cannot agree more with Number 4. The attitude of the people in this forum is a different idea and I would like to keep that to myself lol
Like I’m the most calm... Like, it must definitely be because, Like when we enter, I’ll be hurrying. But Because Junjun is older, I can calm down? I don’t really know, Like I just absolutely want her there beside me. Whenever we go abroad, if Junjun is absolutely not beside me, I absolutely won’t go. Something like that. -- Tanaka Reina about Junjun.

Offline sakura_drop_

• サクゲキと読んでください | Sakugeki to yonde kudasai~ | Please call me "Sakugeki"
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • YukoRena(Geki) & AtsuYuu shipping all the way! ♥♥♥
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
You know, suddenly I see this discussion time consuming and the one who does not deserve my time. I have my opinion, but if people take only things they like out of it and then continue commenting about how poor they are, how bad they feel, even though I NEVER MENTIONED HOW BAD I FEEL OR THAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEM... There is just no point in trying to go somewhere with this discussion.

Things I understood from this discussion (don't ban me, I'm just stating my opinion as the others above).

1. Creativity means you have to use only pretty words and wide vocabulary, you can't write drabbles, you have to work at least a week on one chapter.

(I disagree with this, but oh well, you say you know. I still am going to keep it my pace.)

2. You had it so bad, going through such hardships so you understand us and you help us all you can.

(sorry, I don't get it... I mean, I never said to you that you had it all the time good. I never stated we are poor beings and you are not. And how you help us? Is it by saying we can't post things we like (such as drabbles, hardcore words, poor vocabulary stories)? Is it by stating that we look down on you because we post poorly written stories so your stories loose its worth? Well sorry, but as for me, I never look down on things I like. Don't blame us for your stories being underrated.)

Somethng Wild-san, you stated the things I was about to state here as 3,4 and so on. Just one thing. What if the person doesn't have as much time as to reread the story lots of times and use thesaurus every time they want a new word? Can't he post a simple story as it is? Yes, I think about my writers, but sometimes the grammar is not a most important thing for me, as when I read the story, if the plot is good, I get so into it, the grammar is just of no importance then.

I am really glad you cleared up the thing about the free ways of writing. Sorry, if we all sound too offensive or heated up.  :bow:

Oh, btw, where to apply for the mods and what are the things I need to know if I want to become one?

P.S. I am not gonna post anything else regarding this heated discussion unless I find the need to really defend the opinion of those who can't state it themselves.  :mon bye:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:57:49 PM by sakura_drop_ »
"人間みんな変態だから" - 古川愛李, SKE48 新高柳チームKII 「シアターの女神」千秋楽公演, 2014.04.18 <"Because all people are perverts." - Furukawa Airi, SKE48 New Takayanagi Team KII [Theater no Megami] Last Stage, 2014.04.18>

My Blog: J-Pop and K-Pop Abode   The list of my fics in JPH!P: My fics   Let's have fun here: Acchan48   My home and family: United Nations Society of Adorkable Writers

My KamiOshis: Yuuko-sama, Rena-sama  Oshimen: Yuihime Other favorites: Mirukii, Juri-tan, Ripopo

Offline bochang

• Psychology Student with a Psychological Problem
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • You can't love another if you don't love yourself.
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2013, 03:53:01 PM »
@arisa: well, just say that you're right, and i was wrong since i'm tired about this thingy. XD

@eru: the solution, already stated in number 3-4 by somethingwild. :3

@sakura: be you and be considerate. :3 i know how it feels. XD
[size=14]ON HIATUS[/size]
(for writing, next term gonna start and lack of inspiration ==" Yeorobuen, Mianhaeyo)

My fanfic:
Infinity and some OS (Ongoing, Chapter 13 Released)
Akibahara Syndrome (Ongoing, Chapter 2 Released)
Bochang's scribble collections

ask me anything @ http://www.formspring.me/hein156

please drop by :D

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
Labeling such is, putting on the title of the thread a very brief summary of what it is. (AtsuMina) (Title), or more like nowadays (Script)(AtsuMina)(Title), or very much in the near future (Script)(AtsuMina)(Title)(Contains Vulgar Language)

With this example, it clearly shows that labelling is going to clutter up the board and in case anyone is unaware, there is a limit to the number of characters you can put in a thread title.

So we should try to think of a better solution to satisfy both sides or at least come to a compromise.

Offline bochang

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »
how about change the labels with the tags like in livejournal. :3
but it'd be troublesome for the higher-ups. :3
(for writing, next term gonna start and lack of inspiration ==" Yeorobuen, Mianhaeyo)

My fanfic:

Offline aruka

• (Mostly) a silent force?
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
With this example, it clearly shows that labelling is going to clutter up the board and in case anyone is unaware, there is a limit to the number of characters you can put in a thread title.

So we should try to think of a better solution to satisfy both sides or at least come to a compromise.

What's the usual purpose of author notes before one story starts?

Scroll down if curious, or click back if don't want. If readers later regret for reading it, don't tell the writer hasn't warned them in the beginning.
My fanfic thread      : The Book of My Single Shots | Current update: IKEMEN GAKUEN Troubles [MINOR UPDATE 03/12]
Contributing a bit in : [script?] saku-chan's Drabbles | Completed: #33 - #40 - #89 - #213 - #214

Want to visit? Douzo~

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:20 PM »
OK, thanks for clearing that up. Let's see:

Mostly fanfics are written in prose and paragraph formats. Shouldn't it be part of the rule that "Script Format" stories should not be allowed? Like for example, fanfiction.net does not allow these because they are not prose.

No, any form, any style or genre of writing is allowed. However, I'd like the writers to think about how the chosen format will affect the reader. Certain stories are better suited to be written in a certain format, but the writer is free to make this choice.

I think there has to be revision on perv fic rule as I now keep seeing fanfics which is very uncomfortable to read. How about banning or limiting the usage of blatant words of the anatomy such as p***s and etc.

We will not be banning or limited the usage of these words. However, once again I recommend that writers use the thesaurus or a similar site. There are many ways to avoids repetitive use of words and use words more appropriate to the context. This will also make the stories of higher quality and more fun to read.

Secondly, we might want to consider the labels to indicate the level of 'perv.'

I think what they meant is that, AKB is a girl-group, and the excess usage of "Penis" for a girl-group fanfic (when it's supposed to be Yuri) is quite unsettling?

I understand the point, but if people want to write genderbend (I believe that's the term used) they are free to do so. Once again, I think the labels may help here so people who aren't interested can easily avoid them.

Even though its in the perv, I still think there should be moderation when it comes to how vulgar they are, whether it not be underage members.

This will not happen, but again, labels may work.

I think what they want is for writing to be more creative.

This is what I'd like to see. Think about your story! the setting, the characters, the plot, etc. Use a spelling/grammar checker, edit, re-write, re-read. Think of your reader. Put some real effort into it.

Bottom line, I think we might use the label approach for the perv section for now. At least to make a distinction between 'smut' and 'vulgarity/more hardcore.' I'll discuss it with the rest of the staff.

New replies while I was typing:

How about change the labels with the tags like in livejournal. :3

Example?

What if the person doesn't have as much time as to reread the story lots of times and use thesaurus every time they want a new word? Can't he post a simple story as it is? Yes, I think about my writers, but sometimes the grammar is not a most important thing for me, as when I read the story, if the plot is good, I get so into it, the grammar is just of no importance then.

I'm simply saying a simple quality check can't hurt. One minute for a spelling/grammar check can make a big difference. The more you use a thesaurus the less you'll need to look up words because your basic vocabulary becomes larger. Of course small grammar mistakes can be forgiven, but I've seen stories that were completely unreadable because of endless mistakes.

Where to apply for the mods and what are the things I need to know if I want to become one?

We'll have an audition when we need one.

Offline bochang

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »
like this one?

but yeah, it'll took some space at the bottom. :3
with this tags, you also can find other story with the same genres or pairing.

My fanfic:

Offline sakura_drop_

• サクゲキと読んでください | Sakugeki to yonde kudasai~ | Please call me "Sakugeki"
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • YukoRena(Geki) & AtsuYuu shipping all the way! ♥♥♥
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
like this one?

but yeah, it'll took some space at the bottom. :3
with this tags, you also can find other story with the same genres or pairing.

I wonder if inventing the tags here is going to consume a lot of time for the mods...

Labels for the perv section sound totally fine for me, that was what I was suggesting :)
"人間みんな変態だから" - 古川愛李, SKE48 新高柳チームKII 「シアターの女神」千秋楽公演, 2014.04.18 <"Because all people are perverts." - Furukawa Airi, SKE48 New Takayanagi Team KII [Theater no Megami] Last Stage, 2014.04.18>

My Blog: J-Pop and K-Pop Abode   The list of my fics in JPH!P: My fics   Let's have fun here: Acchan48   My home and family: United Nations Society of Adorkable Writers

My KamiOshis: Yuuko-sama, Rena-sama  Oshimen: Yuihime Other favorites: Mirukii, Juri-tan, Ripopo

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
SomethingWild, just to give a brief summary of what I’ve observed. On the surface, it looks like people are debating over story formats and terms to be used in perv fiction here. However, the underlying issues that cause this heated discussion are more than just that.

*Note: These are merely my impressions and I could be wrong. If I am, kindly clarify and don't shoot me. Thank you.

Camp A:
- Hope to see writers put more effort into their writing. Such effort refers to trying to construct proper sentences instead of writing in script form, using spell and grammar check, etc.
- View writing as something sacred that needs to be respected by putting in abovementioned effort.
- Hope to see the quality of fictions on this board increase through effort.

Camp B:
- Want to write the way they like and feel Camp A is trying to restrict their writing.
- View this forum as a place where they can express their feelings through writing and have fun while doing so.
- Value freedom to express more than anything else.

Bottom line: Both sides love this forum but have different expectations for it.

If we can resolve this Great Divide, people might feel better.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:44:30 PM by seigus »

Offline caghaunt

• Shinoda Mariko-sama!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ShawAkarin wa saikou! MariHaru mo!
« Reply #251 on: January 03, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »
I simply believe that the discussions that happen in this thread is for improvement and not for changing everyone. So I will saying this for all people who knew that there is a discussion and following it.

(in jungian cognitive function words)
Let yourself use your Se and Fe functions towards all the arguments here and use your Ti and Fi functions decide what is best for your own improvement and if you know something useful use your Te.

(in much simpler words)
Let yourself use your ears (or eyes in this case) towards all the arguments here and use your logic and feeling what is best for your own improvement and if you know something useful tell what it is with cool head.

And I should say PLEASE do it.
One-shots: SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter: SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter:
SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter:
Tumblr:
caghaunt

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #252 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
Ah, I see. We cannot do tags like that on this board.

I think Aruka makes a good point about including author notes. If the writers include notes about the pairing, genre, etc. at the top of their post that that might be helpful to know what you can expect from that story. I think that's an easy way of solving things as it would not require long and cluttered thread titles.

If we can resolve this Great Divide

I don't see this as two camps, because the two sides you describe (i.e. quality VS freedom) aren't mutually exclusive.
It almost sounds like people are using terms like "freedom" or "creativity" as an excuse not to put more effort into their work.
Anyway, like I said, people are free to write what they want and how they want (as long as it follows basic forum policy). 

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #253 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:59 PM »
I don't see this as two camps, because the two sides you describe (i.e. quality VS freedom) aren't mutually exclusive.
It almost sounds like people are using terms like "freedom" or "creativity" as an excuse not to put more effort into their work.
Anyway, like I said, people are free to write what they want and how they want (as long as it follows basic forum policy).

You may not view it as two camps based on the reason you gave but the fact is, the camps are there and that's why there is so much unresolved tension on this forum. It'll be good if we can ease it by having people discuss in a levelheaded manner and come to respect each other's views. However, the earlier discussions were basically going around in circles without someone to properly facilitate them. And I kind of get the feeling that people are too tired to actually continue this even if discussions were reopened with a mod watching :nervous

Anyway, I thank you very much for stepping in and preventing things from getting out of hand :jphip:

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
the camps are there and that's why there is so much unresolved tension on this forum.

Consider the following:

1. Writer X can write a story following a specific format, don't pay attention to spelling and grammar but in the end the story can still suck.
Writer Y can write a story without following any format, pay attention to grammar spelling, but in the end the story can still suck.

Many variations exist because people are all different. Which leads me to what I feel if a more productive area of discussion:

2. What kind of writer do you (referring to any writer) want to be? What is your aim, what is your motivation?
- If you want to enjoy writing by yourself, don't care about quality or feedback or comments, then you might want to consider not posting your work.
- If you want to improve your skills you can do as best as you can, invest time and ask for feedback.
- Etc. Etc. Etc.

Again there are many, many options and all have different consequences as to how one approaches writing.
--> Think about what your own personal goal is and how that affects your writing, and in turn your readers.

The bottom line is that everybody has different goals and a different styles. Respect those differences and learn from them.

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2013, 08:54:37 AM »
I'd like to propose a thread where writers can kindly share English and writing tips; what they believe makes a story better.
Example:  "Try not to write long lists of details because they tend to distract from the story and are often unnecessary," not "Don't write lists of details; it's just wrong."

I'm all for this idea. We need a separate thread to compile a list of tips / guide for writers. The guide should be the very first post of the thread and updated whenever a new tip is suggested. Hence, we will require a mod to play an active role in it to decide what goes onto that list and help keep it updated.

Now, since this is a guide, it is fully up to writers whether they want to take the suggestions offered there.

It could also serve as a place where writers that might be having trouble can ask a question and gain a polite answer.
Example:  Q: "How can I write this sentence so that it doesn't sound so _____?"    A: "Try switching _____ and _____, so that_____.")

I am fine with this too. However, I would like to strongly advise writers to first try the suggestions listed in the guide before they ask for help. The main aim of the thread should be to encourage writers to improve their writing and not be a one-stop place where they go to get quick-fix solutions. That means writers use a spell/grammar check, look up the dictionary or thesaurus, etc. before seeking for help. The most effective way to learn is to fumble around and search for the answer on our own. Through this searching process, we will bump into a lot of new words and phrases or writing tips that may not be the direct answer to our question but will be helpful in future writing. We learn best when we figure out the answer on our own instead of having it spoon-fed to us.

So when we have tried our best to search for the answer but still can't find a satisfactory one, go to the thread and say we've tried but still need advice.

Example: I want to project a very heart-thumping effect in one of my action scenes. I have decided on the weapons (a metal stick and a small knife) and found some words to describe the fight but how can I enhance the scene further and make the reader feel like he is watching the fight up close?

Answer: Describe not just what the reader can see but what he can hear as well. For example, instead of writing "she hit him on the head with a metal stick", try "With a growl, she raised the rusty rod high above her head and rammed it against his skull, producing a satisfying crack." Keep up the vivid descriptions and the reader may even feel that he's going to get pummeled any moment :lol:

If anyone feels that the above process is too tedious then I believe you have missed the whole point of improving yourself. Remember, if we want improvement, we have to actively search for ways to attain it.

I propose that we go ahead with the creation of the pinned thread even if interest level isn't high now. It wouldn't hurt to provide a venue for writers to look for ways to improve, right?

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
There's a chance I might have misunderstood you and that we actually have the same idea in mind in regards to the initial post (and if it is the same, ignore this next bit), but just in case: 

You did not misunderstand me. Instead, I was the one who did not fully get what you were suggesting in your previous post. So thank you very much for clarifying with your examples and yes, I believe having a table of contents as the initial post on the thread is much better than having a compilation of tips from all over. Classifying tips according to writers is certainly less confusing and the person who needs help will have a wider range of advice to choose from rather than a fixed list at the top of the thread. All writers who feel that they have something to share should be allowed to contribute and have their own post. Contributing writers should not be viewed as superior or high and mighty by the others. Remember, we are here to share and learn from one another, not to create a caste system.

In addition to tips, writers can also share their thoughts on writing just like what I did in my New Year post so that other writers (and even readers) can come to understand and respect each other for the work they put into writing.

As for the FAQs part, I'm not quite sure how it will work now. Maybe that can be implemented after the thread gets more questions and we can see what are the burning hot topics that are troubling writers. Or if I'm not understanding what you mean again, please pardon me and clarify :nervous

Offline nori

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »
This is a great idea and I hope it happens but I just want to check if readers can also provide advice?
Its just that so far the conversation has only mentioned author's giving advice so I wasn't sure  :nervous
Also if enough people are willing then could some sort of proofreading/editing section be added to this, it could be as simple as a list of people who are willing to do it,  or would the inclusion of this mean less time is spent looking at the advice and people just hand over their work to have it corrected which would defeat the point of the new thread. I personally think having someone else read through your work is very useful but if it means the suggestion section is overlooked then it would be better off without the proofreading part since the advice is a really good idea and probably more important and accessible :)

EDIT:I should also add that even if this doesn't go ahead I am willing to proofread for people if they want/need someone to  :thumbup
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:21:57 PM by nori »

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
This is a great idea and I hope it happens but I just want to check if readers can also provide advice?

Thank you very much for bringing that up. Readers are a very important part of the fanfiction community so yes, I agree to readers providing advice too. In fact, sometimes writers are so caught up in writing that they miss out certain important aspects of it that the readers have noticed. Perhaps the Table of Contents in the thread can include a section for links to readers' suggestions of what they think would make a "good" story. I'm using the term "good" loosely here as it's subjective.

Of course, contributing readers should keep to giving suggestions on writing and not what pairings or genres they would like to see. Things like that should be kept in the discussion thread.

Also if enough people are willing then could some sort of proofreading/editing section be added to this, it could be as simple as a list of people who are willing to do it

I see no harm in including a list of proofreading volunteers. Proofreaders can be anyone who is confident of his/her editing skills, meaning readers can volunteer too. Proofreaders work directly with the writers so that means a more intimate and efficient way for writers to improve. Proofreading will not override the function of a suggestions/tips section due to the following reasons:

1. The suggestions section provide a wide range of advice that can expand a writer's knowledge about writing in general.
2. Proofreaders may not always be available.
3. It is still good to have someone proofread a story for grammar or sentence construction errors that the writer may have missed out. If the proofreader wants to go the extra mile of providing more feedback on the story's plot or pace, that's even better.

Thank you for your suggestions, nori! Keep them coming so we can come up with something that's really useful to propose to the mods :)

Offline stepk

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ♥ Takahashi Japan ♥
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
how can I put a image when i'm going to post   :?

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Sexy Music