JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Tokyo

Author Topic: The General AKB48 Fanfic Discussion Thread  (Read 333266 times)

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: The General AKB48 Fanfic Discussion Thread
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2013, 01:35:52 AM »
I read my own type of writing and hope to find something to improve on later on

I actually never thought of it like that but I guess it makes sense to do that as well, maybe I should do that more  :nervous

Well unfortunately it sort of opens up a problem between getting better and getting readers.  I find the simpler forms are easier towards the readers despite whatever pairings it mentions.  The one thing is to see what drives people to click on the link for me I expressed such opinions, for me I don't like the clutter which influences me as a writer to not clutter the threads with stuff but I tend to go tangent to get to certain goals before forming it back to the original story.  Also, I want to find who can challenge themselves to go against the norms what we have here.  It seems to be the next step to sell their writings to the readers.

Anyways a general opinion to how I see fan fiction in general and my own experiences with being a writer and a reader.
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline nori

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2013, 01:50:57 AM »
^ I kind of think I know what you mean but at the same time I haven't got the faintest clue. It is definitely a difficult thing though finding the right balance between simplicity and pairings in order to attract "casual" readers and also trying to push and improve your own writing skills. I mean it does make me wonder sometimes about what would happen if you literally swap the names and make the correct adjustments to from an unusual pairing to a common popular pairing, plot and story still the same, just how many more people would read it...

Though I guess that shows how much more I can learn from all this but replacing the pairs that might be an interesting little experiment to try out.

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2013, 02:06:06 AM »
^ I kind of think I know what you mean but at the same time I haven't got the faintest clue. It is definitely a difficult thing though finding the right balance between simplicity and pairings in order to attract "casual" readers and also trying to push and improve your own writing skills. I mean it does make me wonder sometimes about what would happen if you literally swap the names and make the correct adjustments to from an unusual pairing to a common popular pairing, plot and story still the same, just how many more people would read it...

Though I guess that shows how much more I can learn from all this but replacing the pairs that might be an interesting little experiment to try out.

I think if the story sticks, you have a feather in the cap.  If it doesn't then it is more pairings driven. 

I like experimenting in general and I know my own ways rarely gets anywhere but I do wonder if I actually start it off a certain way, what would happen.  In all seriousness, I may just start a thread to never update ever again because how I want a story to flow :nervous
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline caghaunt

• Shinoda Mariko-sama!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ShawAkarin wa saikou! MariHaru mo!
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
What make me read a certain fic, eh...

I think it's anything that uncommon and anything that caught my interest. Personally I prefer yuri/yaoi fic on any fandom even if in the original storyline there's no hints of yuri/yaoi (my googles is like that). I don't like genderbend, that's true. But sometimes I let myself read genderbend fic because I'm too lazy to stricting myself lol. Straight is alright if I have an interest on the pairing.

I don't limit myself to a genre. Any genre is alright. Maybe its the writing and the plot that make me backed out from reading something.

So yeah, anything that uncommon and anything that caught my interest.
(And I despise Twi***** because the plot is really stupid)
One-shots: SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter: SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter:
SKE48 fic - Silent Understanding (Matsui Rena/Furukawa Airi) [2015.05.15]
Twitter:
Tumblr:
caghaunt

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #344 on: April 23, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
What is it that makes you read a certain fic?

Are you really fussy when it comes to choosing something to read or will you literally just read everything and anything?

Great topic of discussion, nori! :thumbsup I do hope more people share their views so that writers can have a better sense of what readers are looking for in a fanfic.

Personally I used to read pretty much anything which had my kamioshi (Jurina) in it but lately I have been reading a considerably lower amount which is more due to the fact that I don't have the luxury of being just a reader XD

It is the exact same case for me. I used to be able to read a lot but ever since I started posting my stories regularly, I realised I don't have as much time to catch up on others' fanfics because I'll be busy working on my own and rereading them to make improvements. As a result, I've become a lot more selective with the fanfics I pick up for my reading pleasure.

Getting My Attention

Anyway, back to the main question. Here are the things that will first attract me to a fic:
1. Well-labelled thread title that includes the story title and pairing(s) - Any grammatical/spelling errors or unnecessary caps/punctuations in the thread title will garner minus points.
2. Author - We all have our personal bias and I am no exception to that. There are certain writers whose works I follow even if the stories don't feature my OTP because their writing styles appeal to me.
3. Pairing - MaYuki never fails to catch my attention :sweatdrop:

Should I Continue Reading?

Next comes the hard part. There are a few crucial factors that will determine whether I read past the first few paragraphs.
1. Grammar - Numerous glaring grammatical and spelling errors put me off. I can ignore the occasional mistakes but when they pepper every other sentence, I find it very hard to concentrate on the story.
2. Characterisation - It is very important that the characters are behaving in character. If they are exhibiting some sort of extreme behaviour such as Rena screaming at someone, there had better be a valid reason behind her outburst.
3. Writing style - I love detailed descriptions to set the tone and atmosphere of the story but there has to be a limit. I lose interest when the writing is too flowery and interferes with the development of the plot. Diving straight into the plot helps me get into the groove of things and makes me look forward to more while trying too hard at building needless mystery kills my excitement. Really, there's no need to keep referring to Yuki as the nameless "black-haired girl" for the whole chapter when it's obvious that it is her. I am not saying suspense is bad; just that it should be used only when the story calls for it. On the other hand, stories with too few descriptions lack rereading value as they simply skim through the scenes and don't provide me the chance to visualise them and/or feel any emotional impact. Striking the right balance is hard but it matters a lot to me.

Genres and Settings

I am open to all types of genres but I have a soft spot for fanfics set in an alternate universe (AU). School settings are a dime a dozen so fanfics centered around interesting occupations will definitely stand out even more for me :D

Offline sakura_drop_

• サクゲキと読んでください | Sakugeki to yonde kudasai~ | Please call me "Sakugeki"
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • YukoRena(Geki) & AtsuYuu shipping all the way! ♥♥♥
« Reply #345 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
I agree with mostly everything seigus-san pointed out.

But of course, I look more to my fav pairings (YukoRena, wMatsui, KojiYuu, AtsuMina, TomoTomo, TakaYuu, AtsuYuu, BlackGeki, MaYuki - in no particular order)

Also, I have a question.

What if the writer doesn't want to reveal the huge plot development? Like, the setting is school but later school becomes not important? Isn't deciding from just a few chapters is too cruel for a writer?
"人間みんな変態だから" - 古川愛李, SKE48 新高柳チームKII 「シアターの女神」千秋楽公演, 2014.04.18 <"Because all people are perverts." - Furukawa Airi, SKE48 New Takayanagi Team KII [Theater no Megami] Last Stage, 2014.04.18>

My Blog: J-Pop and K-Pop Abode   The list of my fics in JPH!P: My fics   Let's have fun here: Acchan48   My home and family: United Nations Society of Adorkable Writers

My KamiOshis: Yuuko-sama, Rena-sama  Oshimen: Yuihime Other favorites: Mirukii, Juri-tan, Ripopo

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #346 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »
What if the writer doesn't want to reveal the huge plot development? Like, the setting is school but later school becomes not important? Isn't deciding from just a few chapters is too cruel for a writer?

The fanfiction world is cruel, just like idol business :lol:

On a serious note, the setting is not the only deciding factor as I had mentioned and I believe it applies to most readers as well. It really depends on how the writer delivers the story right from the start. If the opening chapter is compelling enough or just somehow appeals to the readers, they will tend to stick around to see how the story develops.

In case anyone is interested, here is why a compelling opening is important:

Why You Should Write a Compelling Opening Chapter
Written by Idrees

Of all the novels I’ve read, I (and you) prefer those who have a compelling opening chapter. The chapter which draws us in and leads us smoothly throughout the book to the end. If we are not “hooked” by the chapter, we close the book snap shut. Which means the author has failed to do his job.

But you don’t want to be that author. You want your novel (or any form of fiction) to be a bestseller. Widely read. Widely praised. You want your reader to be hooked in. You want him/her to finish the book and not close the book until the last word has been read. You want your book to stand the test of the reader’s patience.

But how do you actually achieve these things?

How do you ensure that the reader will actually do the above?

The answer is simple. You write a compelling opening (first) chapter.

It’s magic! The compelling opening chapter ensures that the reader will continue with the book. It ensures that he’ll not close the book snap shut right after reading the first page. It ensures that he/she will be hooked. Despite his impatience, he/she will read on.

Of course, this doesn’t guarantee that he’ll not close the book anytime he’s reading. You can’t guarantee that, unless you are perfectly sure that your book is perfect (no one’s is). Anytime you write a chapter which doesn’t interest the reader, he/she will close the book. So you can’t say a compelling first chapter is everything.

But it’s a foundation. A foundation for your book. History says that the odds are very less when it comes to books having great first chapters and lousy follow-up chapters. In simpler terms, if you write a compelling first chapter, it’s taken for granted that you can write. That you can write well.

Source: Writers' Treasure

The link also gives tips on how to write a compelling first chapter so do check it out!

Offline Yuki88

• The Nocturnal Black Snow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • "Do you love me?"
« Reply #347 on: April 23, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
Personally I like reading and I read almost all kinds of genres. Maybe sci-fi is an exception, haha.  :P
I'm into angst or mystery lately, but I also like romance too.
For romance, I do prefer if it's set in an alternate universe.
I'm fine without gender-bender, but I prefer one with it more, haha.  :D

And ofc, as Seigus-san pointed above, grammar is important.. english isn't my native language but since I was English-language graduate, i unconsciously check the grammar. I tend to skip fics with messy grammar  :nervous
Anai Chihiro is my one and only.

"Are we nothing more than the captain and her vice captain?"

My random OS Idea Center || Hakata Legend (HKT48 drabble fics) || Virgin Love (A TomoYuki Fluff) -hiatus?-

Tumblr version of my fics archive: http://blacksnow88.tumblr.com/

Offline bimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #348 on: April 25, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
I agree on everything seigus said. Before this, I read every Atsumina fanfics and Takamina fanfics. But now, I pay more attention to writing style and plot. Sometimes the plot doesn't really matter. Even if the story have super cheesy, lame and common plot, I'll give it a go because of the writing skill they have.

But almost everytime, I'll turn away from a fanfics (even if they've good plot) if;

1; Accidentally pressing CAPS LOCK on a wrong place.
"I Love you, don't you Love me too?"  said takamina as She eat her katsudon.

2; Too much lines on 1 paragraph. It makes my eyes spinning.

3; Stuffing too much pairing in one story and focus evenly on each of them. Makes it hard to focus on the storyline. But there are some experienced writer that successful having multi-pairing in their fanfics (Love In The Fast Lane, Wandering Ship are a good example). Thumbs up for them.

Offline maku

• A slow and lame writer. Please bear with me :)
« Reply #349 on: May 18, 2013, 06:52:04 AM »
Hi. I'm new here and I would like to ask a few things, if you don't mind.

Is it ok to post a somewhat dark genre? I'm not talking about a sick twisted story about rape or murder, that would be wrong  :smhid, but I'm talking about a story that 'can' have a member's death and, let's just say, an unimaginable dark forces as their enemy.

I've been thinking of this story a few months now and so far I haven't seen anything like this in jphip (I think). I'm not going to reveal the plot because I'm still having an internal battle with myself whether I'll start writing it or not.

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »
Welcome to JPH!P, maku! :welcome

It is perfectly fine to post a story like what you described. I would advise you to put a warning about potential character death before the start of the story as some readers may not like reading about their favourite member(s) dying. Aside from that, as long as your fanfic abides by the Fanfic Forum's rules, everything should be fine.

Your idea sounds interesting and I do like the occasional dark stuff. I'm sure many of us will be looking forward to your story :)

Offline Llyloo

• Member+
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Welcome o/

Hopefully that kind of fic is authorized, the half of my fics are like that. (Oh... Maybe I write too much dark stories... XD),

Then~~ I'm waiting for yours fics ~~

Offline Yuki88

• The Nocturnal Black Snow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • "Do you love me?"
« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:12 PM »
@maku: Welcome to jph!p

As to your question, NO PROBLEM. In fact, I have a thing for angsty story :3
Anai Chihiro is my one and only.

"Are we nothing more than the captain and her vice captain?"

My random OS Idea Center || Hakata Legend (HKT48 drabble fics) || Virgin Love (A TomoYuki Fluff) -hiatus?-

Tumblr version of my fics archive: http://blacksnow88.tumblr.com/

Offline sakura_drop_

• サクゲキと読んでください | Sakugeki to yonde kudasai~ | Please call me "Sakugeki"
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • YukoRena(Geki) & AtsuYuu shipping all the way! ♥♥♥
« Reply #353 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
 :welcome, maku-san

I love angsty stories, lots of people here actually do I think. So you are welcomed with that story here with wide opened arms~
"人間みんな変態だから" - 古川愛李, SKE48 新高柳チームKII 「シアターの女神」千秋楽公演, 2014.04.18 <"Because all people are perverts." - Furukawa Airi, SKE48 New Takayanagi Team KII [Theater no Megami] Last Stage, 2014.04.18>

My Blog: J-Pop and K-Pop Abode   The list of my fics in JPH!P: My fics   Let's have fun here: Acchan48   My home and family: United Nations Society of Adorkable Writers

My KamiOshis: Yuuko-sama, Rena-sama  Oshimen: Yuihime Other favorites: Mirukii, Juri-tan, Ripopo

Offline LoyalFlutist

• clinical scientist
  • Member+
  • DRG @ Sargatanas (FFXIV)
    • animeminafans
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »
I rarely pop into these sort of discussion thread (or maybe I just don't since I like hiding and never coming out), but this question pops to my mind multiple times:

For those writers who work on multiple fan fictions without making any one or more of them hiatus, how do you sort out your ideas with each fiction?

I guess it's easy to tell that I have three on-going series and a few one shots that I shamefully am still working on. Before where I was only working on one on-going fiction, it was relatively easy to sort my ideas and organize them. But I'm one of those individuals who just can't... well, keep their imagination under control. (Which explains why I have so many fictions going on at the same time...) So I'm usually stuck with many writer's block and lack of motivation to sit in front of my computer screen for the next chapter. I should also add that I don't usually write my ideas down (surprise surprise, all ideas come from the top of my head), so I feel that it's somewhat a factor to my problems.

Just want to know how I can improve my organizational skills so I don't accidentally screw up any plots/stories in the near future. :sweatdrop:

"You'll come to treasure these scars."

HIATUS: The Virus | How Far Are You Prepared To Go? | Sanity | Hidden Truth | Disappearance (Season 2) *Tumblr-only* | Vengeance
ACTIVE: Majisuka Gakuen OS | OS | Idol Royale
REMAKE: Disappearance S1 | Wandering Ship | Hidden Truth
COLLABORATIONS: Phantom Pain w/Llyloo

Twitter: https://twitter.com/animeminafans | AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/users/KazueEmiko/pseuds/KazueEmiko | Discord Server: https://discord.gg/ZAfq3QtEwA

Zine Projects: Our Future Days (The Last of Us) [Pre-order TBA] | IDOLIZED! (Love Live!) [Pre-order - Digital] | Eizineken! (Eizouken Ni Wa) [Packaging] | Tales from the Animal Forest (Animal Crossing) [Pre-order TBA] | Amor Fati (Fate/Grand Order) [Creation Period]

Offline gek geki

• 松井玲奈 松井玲奈 松井玲奈 松井玲奈
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 松井玲奈 looooooooooooooove~
« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
I THINK CMZE SAN COULD ANSWER YOUR QUESTION,SHE HAS A LOT OF FIC,MORE THAN 10 FIC AND 80% STILL ON-GOING.
WHICH REALLY FAST IN UPDATE,WELL NOT SO FAST.BUT I ADORE HOW CMZE SAN COULD UPDATE WITH AMAZINGLY GREAT IDEA TOO!

Offline -gibson-mayulover

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • no rice, no life
« Reply #356 on: June 08, 2013, 04:22:05 AM »
hi, hello
um this is my first time posting on this thread....err

I just wanna ask something.....

I've been struggling on this for a while eh...

but, how do you show or express emotion on you're character.
like for example my character is happy of course they smile, laugh or etc, but how do you express more...

like, I want to show my character in pain, but how do I explain this to the readers...
I want the readers feel what my character's feeling,
but how?

Offline stv_wong

• Member+
  • ^ best of the best ^
« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2013, 04:32:16 AM »
Hm... I'm not an expert too, but... maybe you can put what you feel when you're in pain. Like... "She felt pain spreading from her heart, like it was being stabbed by a thousand knifes. A lone tear started to trail down from her eyes to her cheek, as the light in her eyes diminished."

Offline kuro808

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2013, 04:36:53 AM »
hi, hello
um this is my first time posting on this thread....err

I just wanna ask something.....

I've been struggling on this for a while eh...

but, how do you show or express emotion on you're character.
like for example my character is happy of course they smile, laugh or etc, but how do you express more...

like, I want to show my character in pain, but how do I explain this to the readers...
I want the readers feel what my character's feeling,
but how?

my best advice is to look up for a list of emotions and try to fit it into certain catergory and as mentioned above use metaphors and similes (comparable items) to express how they feel in the moment

like heart break: Her heart shattered into a million pieces as she saw her girlfriend walked by in a guy's arms

it is also great to experience such to add an effect of realism to it
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline FoF

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2013, 06:10:34 AM »
I don't usually partake in these discussions. But I feel like doing so right now. I wonder though if this is my first time in this thread. :lol:

Moving on...

@LoyalFlutist-san

I'm sure that writers who had more than one story being written here can relate to your situation. I'm one of them since I too have stories that I have yet to finish and my head isn't really helping what with it constantly toying with me giving me these urge to write different stories. Like you, I don't take notes as well and just rely on my poor memory to take me wherever. I say poor because I easily forget things which is really troublesome whenever I come up with good ideas. But that really doesn't answer your questions huh? Comparing aside, what I do whenever my imaginations are going haywire with ideas, is that I try to incorporate those ideas to my previous fics. But if the lego doesn't fit, why push it right? That's when I think of something else that would definitely keep my imaginations at bay.

I think of the people reading my fics.

I remember seigus-san tackling something like this at the Advice thread. Pasting it here...

"Respect your readers. Be responsible."

I love AKB48. That's why I write fanfics of them. I totally understand the fun in imagining our favourite idols in all sorts of situations and relationships because I do that all the time. Anybody who can look into my mind will surely be overwhelmed by the crazy number of plot bunnies hopping all over the place. The gears in my head never stop spinning and many times, I find myself smiling like an idiot in the middle of nowhere as a result of my OTP fantasies. While it is very tempting to share all these ideas and little scenes with the community, I have to stop myself from posting them on impulse because I haven't plotted the stories yet. It is unfair to the readers if I post a teaser or pilot chapter and don't ever revisit it due to the fact that I haven't even thought of how to continue the story. As a reader myself, I understand the frustration of reading a promising start to a story and being all excited about how it will progress only to get my hopes shot down when I realise the writer has already abandoned the story. I don't like the disappointment so I don't wish to subject my readers to the same thing. Hence, I limit myself to posting only one multi-chapter story at a time and the occasional one-shots. Yes, writing is supposed to be enjoyable and free for the writer but as I am posting my works in public, I can't help but feel responsible towards my readers. In short, your readers are your supporters. Respect them by offering them the best that you are capable of.

This holds true for me. Being a writer, you do have to think about your readers as well. It takes two to tango. And it takes a reader to keep the writer motivated and vice versa. But then again, it really is your choice. This is just my point of view. :) I mean, like I said earlier, I too have 3 unfinished fics right now that I'm currently juggling to update. I used to have 4 but I booted 1, so that makes 3. I'm focusing on 2 right now, alternatively updating them while the last one would be updated the moment I ended one of those two. That's actually how I'm trying to right things now. Again, my POV. I'm just sharing my experience here. :lol:

Regarding the last one, about the lack of taking down notes and relying on your head, I'm not saying that it is right. If more, writing down your ideas in a notepad would be extremely helpful. I'm trying to do that recently but then I wasn't kidding when I say I have a poor memory. I tend to forget a lot of things and shamefully, the readers are the ones that makes me remember things. (Which by the way, I'm really thankful for.  :bow:) But in a way, it is a bit irresponsible of me. So I'm trying to take notes now. Helps a bit. You should try sticking with the note. Great ideas flying out of your head can be a bit of a waste. :nervous

@-gibson-mayulover-san

I'd go for stv_wong-san and kurosawa87-san's answer. Put yourself in your character's shoes and write down what it is that you're feeling as your character. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:06:03 AM by FoF »

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Going Under Ground - Tokyo