JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Leo Ieiri - Bless You

Author Topic: War... War never changes. (The official Fallout thread)  (Read 44793 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Re: War... War never changes. (The official Fallout thread)
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »
I picked up the Fallout 3 Game of the Year Ed., everyone says it's a great game, so I got it.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
You won't regret it! Believe it or not I still haven't beaten it, but I've put so many hours into it. I just gave it a rest at the time I was playing because it was summer here and it was so hot my Pc kept restarting but with the AC on, I could play for almost 10 hours straight.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »
same here. there's just so many interesting side-missions for you to get lost in. :panic:

last time I played I had already gone to the 4 corners of the map, max leveled, and done a bloody load of side-missions.
Didn't have much to do other than to continue the story. But I stopped right there after entering The Citadel. I really should get back to finishing it off.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition is on sale today, at %50 off, as part of the continuing QuakeCon sale.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/22370/

Meanwhile, some of the voice actors in New Vegas have been revealed!

August 10, 2010 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today revealed the star-studded voice over cast for Fallout®: New Vegas™, the follow-up game to the critically acclaimed Fallout® 3.  Fallout: New Vegas features Golden Globe-winner and two time Emmy nominated actor Ron Perlman (“Hellboy”, “Sons of Anarachy”), Screen Actors Guild-winner and Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actor Matthew Perry (“Friends”), Mr. Las Vegas himself, Wayne Newton, William Sadler (“Shawshank Redemption”), Zach Levi (“Chuck”), Felicia Day (“The Guild”), Michael Dorn (“Star Trek:The Next Generation”), Kris Kristofferson (“Blade Trilogy,”), Danny Trejo (“Machete”, “From Dusk Till Dawn”), John Doman (“Mystic River”, “The Wire”) and Rene Auberjonois (“Boston Legal”, “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine”).

Source: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/10/voice-cast-for-new-vegas-announced/
More: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/08/11/behind-the-scenes-the-many-voices-of-new-vegas/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:21:26 PM by Amplifier »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2010, 12:21:27 AM »
Perlman! Trejo! Day! Chandler! Fuck yeh! :lol:

Well I completed Fallout 3, finally:

*SPOILER*

Incredible game, it's created so many moments that I won't soon forget, but that ending was terrible XD So, highly radiated chamber and they ask for self-sacrifice or being a bastard and choosing the girl to go in? But wait, what about Fawkes? The super mutant? Who thrives in radiation? Wait, what..what do you mean it's my destiny?! I'll tell you what my destiny is Fawkesy boy, you go in there put in a 3 digit code and nobody has to die! Simples. I figured since I saved your life that you could do this simple thing for me? It felt very forced. I know that Broken Steel incorporates this option, I've seen it, but it's some ol bullshit when they say the Lone Wanderer didn't follow in his footsteps to do the honorable thing. No, because instead he was smarter than that! *sigh*

It had been so long since I played Fallout that I didn't even realise the password was the bible verse XD

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »
How long did it take you to complete it?

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
About 60 hrs? I spent a lot of time doing side quests and general exploring. So much so that I kind of lost track of the main narrative after a while. Same thing happened to me in FFXII. Freedom in an RPG is great and all, but not if you eventually lose track of what drives the game forward. Tales of Vesperia has been the most balanced JRPG for me in this generation, it's got the classic JRPG structure of not giving the player total freedom to explore the world until you get an airship, but your time spent on the ground gives you plenty of incentive to go around and grind (as it allows you to create new better weapons/armour etc) and paces the story in such a way that you want to push onward to see the next part.

With Fallout 3, I didn't even continue the next part of the main story after maybe, oh 10 hours? And even after that I didn't pick up on it until much much later. Eventually it got to a point where I found the majority of locations on my map and I was more focused on playing other games that I felt I should at least wrap up the story. Still, for atmosphere and scale, there's no other place out there quite like the Capital Wasteland.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
Fallout New Vegas hits tomorrow! Here's hoping it rights the many wrongs of Fallout 3.

and that the game ships complete, and isn't bogged down by 5+ dlc releases

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of a new Fallout game, but I dunno, there's something about this one that just looks more of the same. At the very least, you would think they could have spruced up the graphics in this a little. It just looks like a DLC pack. But ultimately I guess it doesn't really matter so long as the story, setting, combat etc are all on the same level as Fallout 3. Here's hoping.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2010, 03:13:16 AM »
So I've probably played about two hours now. Wrapped up a few missions, geared up, killed some dudes.

Graphics are nice, even if everything is brown and people move strangely still. The run & gun gameplay still sucks like in Fallout 3. I'm a bit more intrigued by the story thus far, though. And damn, I have like 20 places to go now :sweatdrop: Can't wait to make my way to Vegas, Hoover Dam.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
While I still don't enjoy the combat aspect, I'm enjoying the locales and missions.

I just wrapped up Helios One. Did the "All" option, going to see if the Followers are worthwhile as a faction. Figured the Legion would show up otherwise, too. Crafting looks like it'll be cool, plenty of materials for it to be found. Also: fuck spending 90% of my time running between places.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
About 9 hours chalked up now.

The problems:
  • I don't give a hoot about my companions (unlike in the Mass Effect series, or even Fallout 1 & 2). They're dull, and don't offer me much
  • The Pip-Boy is so painfully painful to navigate through, and to use for managing my equipment, reading information I receive, about quests.. and everything else it does. I don't enjoy playing a console game on PC.
  • Because of the companions being useless, and the quests hard to manage and uninteresting, keeping track of what I've done and what I can do is a motherfucker.
  • Running is too fucking slow at all times.
  • The combat is oh so clunky.
  • Bugs.

Also: even the PC version is loaded with bugs. People walking into walls, through shit, onto tables, borked textures, lightning, shadows. The crazy physics are a laugh riot, too. Companions are retarded and routinely do their own thing regardless of the situation. Guys, if you're going to try and make some action RPG shooter, just copy Mass Effect. It's not perfect, but it's far better in interface & gameplay than offered in Fallout 3/NV.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
uhh did anyone do any missions at NOVAC yet? theres this one where Ranger Station Charlie get raided and everyone died. and you find this audiotape of the legions kidnapped one of the ranger alive. I went back to talk to Ranger Andy at Novac and it didnt trigger any quests. I went to the closest legion raid camp and the kidnapped ranger isnt there. wtf!! oh and i already patched the game beforehand

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »
Beat it today, after skipping most sidequests in frustration & boredom. The ending.. could have been more interesting, and the lead-up thereto.

I found that when in the process of quest events, saving then trying to load that save would result in a borked game.

:doh:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
Apparently it suffers from the same problem I had with Fallout 3, that loading times actually got worse as you progressed. Like the more impact you have on the world, the harder it became to load it up. I've been hearing a lot of problems about it, but really is anyone surprised? Same engine, to the point where this looks and feels like a giant expansion pack, and Fallout 3 wasn't really great at handling this kind of thing either.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2010, 04:37:31 AM »
This is the buggiest game Ive played since Fable 3. :angry: It's locked up on me 4 or 5 times and there are some crazy geometry and shader glitches, textures not loading, load times varying wildly (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes takes 3-4 minutes)

But...

it's already my GOTY no question just because it's so fucking awesome and addicting.  XD I've played 28 hours, am at level 23, have had 6 companions, have 15-20 quests lined up in the queue and I haven't even reached the strip yet. :bleed eyes:

Some of the quests and even some locations and moments just randomly stumbled upon are gonna be seared in my gaming memory forever. Nothing more satisfying than walking to a unexplored building spotted in the distance, discovering some wird shit going on solving the situation the way you want only to hear about a crazy back story and in the end walking out with a kick ass unique weapon or item and a nice boat load of exp.  :grin: Me and some guys at work were just talking about it for literally hours comparing our unique experiences.
Productivity. :lol:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:57:09 AM by zoolander »

Offline Shin Asuka

• Wub U
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:09 PM »
Lack of Power Armor makes me sad... because those Deathclaws and Super Mutants are kicking my ass  :lol:

Is it bad that I have both the Legion and NCR hating on me? I just like messing up peoples lives in this game :lol:
Don't expect me to reply to any post. I tend to not care.

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
There are a few ways to get the training. Can get a pretty awesome power armor too. :grin:

It's not strange to be hated, especially the Legion. They absolutely wanted to crucify me for most of the game because of the stuff I did to them. :lol: I'm going around behind everyone's backs so you get some hate here and there but I'm pretty well liked for the most part. I like to affiliate myself with the followers and boomers.

Offline Shin Asuka

• Wub U
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 05:58:02 AM »
I haven't got to the Boomers or Followers yet. Still busy trying to do quest for The Kings and getting into The Strip.

The Leigon hates me because I have Boone with me and everytime I try to approach one Boone kills them on sight :lol: So its not directly my fault, its my companion. That and maybe the beret labels me a NCR?

Also have you been to Vault 22 I think, the one with the plants? That one freaks me the hell out XD
Don't expect me to reply to any post. I tend to not care.

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
Yea I just started doing exploring the strip too (White Glove Society O_o) and yes, Boone is fucking cold blooded. I had to get rid of him because he is too good at killing things. :lol:

I have been to Vault 22, definitely freaky but nothing compared to Vault 34 *shudders* and I'll never EVER forget Vault 11.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Leo Ieiri - Bless You