JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dal Shabet - Pink Rocket

Author Topic: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft  (Read 27148 times)

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Re: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 05:04:46 PM »
I could try to get into this but I already have an equally addictive card battle game on my Windows Phone
What's that, Solitaire? :P

--

Got my first 1 epic + 3 rare booster... looks ok, but I still kinda got trolled by the RNG. Already had two captains, commanders and blade flurries...

So what I essentially got was a Murloc and a bunch of dust. XD

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 10:28:56 AM »
Drafted a nice Mage deck in Arena just now, and started of 8-0 with it...

Then I narrowly lost to a Shaman with Doomhammer...
Narrowly lost to a Warrior with Grommash...
Then I went first vs. a paladin with early draws while I mulliganed my whole hand into nothing below a 4-drop.

Since the last time I went 8-3, I started off 8-0, this makes me wonder if I'll ever get to see 9+ wins...
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:43 AM »
Nooooo beta, don't go!

We’re drawing near to the end of the beta test of Hearthstone! We wanted to remind you that Golden Gelbin Mekkatorque, illustrious gnomish engineer and reward for helping us test our in-game shop, will no longer be available once the game is released.

In order to get your hands on this card for your Hearthstone collection, simply purchase an Arena entry or pack of cards from our in-game shop during the beta, and Golden Gelbin Mekkatorque will automatically be added to your collection. It’s that easy!

Once Hearthstone is released, you can still craft the non-Gold version of Gelbin Mekkatorque using Arcane Dust.

Grab this gilded gnome today, before he’s gone for good!

http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/362-hearthstone-beta-test-is-coming-to-an-end
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
EU servers just got borked and ruined my Arena run when I was at 7-2 and had lethal for the 8th win. Right at that time, it just got stuck, then came back minutes later and gave the turn to the other guy, who proceeded to kill me, and then the servers borked again. Bummer, tho it was the first time it happened to me and I've won several games because of others having problems.

Anyway, I wasn't even that pissed about it... then I finally got back in the game and opened the booster I got from the Arena:

Lol, yeah, not too mad.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
Nerf alert!

Thank you for playing, testing and offering your feedback on Hearthstone as we’ve transitioned from closed beta to open beta. The release of Hearthstone is on the
horizon, and we have a couple of additional changes to certain cards we feel it is necessary to implement before the game goes live. As we’ve stated, we plan to make
very few card changes when the game goes live, and we will only make changes to cards if they are absolutely necessary. Making these changes now will ensure a
more balanced state of the overall game into release.

We will be making changes to the following cards: Tinkmaster Overspark and Nat Pagle.

--

Tinkmaster Overspark is now a 3/3 (up from 2/2) and now reads: Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel.

Tinkmaster is a neutral card that silences and often shrinks big creatures. This reduces the amount of big, fun creatures in the environment. We think this change will
increase the amount fun creatures in the environment, and bring him more in-line with his cost and overall power. Tinkmaster should still show up in certain types of
decks, but will no longer be appearing in every high level deck.

Nat Pagle now reads: At the start of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw an extra card.

Nat Pagle will now draw a card at the start of your turn rather than at the end. Nat had too much draw power for a card that is fairly hard to counter so early in the game,
making it almost an auto-include for many decks. This change reduces the power of the card and gives players more time to counter the card before it starts.

--

In addition to these balance changes, we have been monitoring your feedback on our Ranked Play system that we implemented with Closed Beta Patch 1.0.0.4217.
Many players have felt that the start of each Ranked Play season was particularly difficult due to the fact that rankings are reset for all players, regardless of how far
they progressed in rankings during that season.

After the next patch, you will receive bonus stars at the start of each season based on your performance from the previous season. This way, players that have progressed
far into any given Ranked Play season will not be challenging those potentially new to the game or jumping into Ranked Play for the first time.

For example, if you attained Legend, Innkeeper (Rank 1), or Black Knight (Rank 2) rank in any given season, at the start of next season you will start off at
Questing Adventurer (Rank 17) rather than Angry Chicken (Rank 25).
Tink got screwed pretty hard. Nat's gonna be a tad slower... went from amazing to just good, I guess.

Those ranked changes sound reasonable, at least.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:58 AM »
Oh snap!

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/13154924/hearthstone-patch-notes-1004944-all-that-glitters-3-11-2014
You can now connect to other regions (Americas, Europe, Korea, Taiwan) of Hearthstone regardless of the region that is set on your Battle.net account. Account progress and card collections are saved separately per region. This feature will become available once the patch is live in all regions.

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 08:25:32 AM »
I have a good feeling about this arena deck...
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline xyish

• Masuda's bitch
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • :3
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
I've always found it interesting to compare Arena drafts, and while HearthPwn has its own arena generator which you can share your card pool to compare picks, ArenaValue lets you share your actual in-game draft pools and picks, alongside some sort of scoring system (which seems to be quite wildly off in some places, definitely use your better judgement).

Here we have a public draft excercise where the writers also share their drafts and their reasoning behind some of the picks. You can see what the readers chose and how they compare against yours.

I made my picks on my phone over the toilet, so I had a bit of difficulty keeping track of my mana curve and picks, but it didn't turn out too badly, though there might be some questionable picks. For this draft I used ArenaValue to present my picks amongst the possible choices as it also shows decklist by cost as well as mana curve on the results page. Click here to view my picks, picks are in bold.

My highlight picks and comments:
[SPOILERS AHEAD]
Pick #4 - Bloodfen Raptor / Abusive Sergeant / Ancient Brewmaster
The first tough pick, I considered Abusive Sergeant over the Raptor because it was early in the draft and I might pick up Ooze/Bomber/Faerie/etc. later. Abusive is great for enabling trades and leaves a body, and is an okay turn 1 play as it secures board initiative the next few turns. I did not pick Brewmaster despite it having a good trade against Chillwind Yeti because it is early in the draft and I'd really rather have the Yeti instead. I picked up Abusive two picks later against cards I didn't value highly, and didn't get that many 2-drops overall, so it turned out okay.

Pick #16 -  Amani Berserker / Shield Block / Spiteful Smith
I normally like Spiteful Smith in arena, especially in weapon-wielding classes, but I only had an Arcanite Reaper at this point, and already have 2 Silver Hand Knights in the 5-slot and not many on 2, so the Amani is an easy choice here. The Inner Rage I picked up on #3 combos well with it, and also any Taskmasters I would pick up later (which I did the very next pick). Shield Block is an okay card, but is less valuable in arena, especially when you can't guarantee Shield Slams (which ironically does show up later).

Pick #18 -  Shield Block / Inner Rage / Lord of the Arena
I absolutely despise Lord of the Arena, but it is one of my first decent threats in the draft. Of course I wouldn't know how many of those the draft would later offer, but it's not the worst thing to have. It's also the only taunt I picked.

Pick #19 -  Shieldbearer / Ironfur Grizzly / Silver Hand Knight
As I had mentioned, I already have a few Knights, and the fact that I am low on 3-drops made this a really close one between the Grizzly and the Knight. I don't have any high value targets that are worth picking Shieldbearer for.

Pick #21 -  Kor'kron Elite / Ironfur Grizzly / Ironbeak Owl
The Owl is probably the worst card here, but I picked it as a means to bypass taunts for a finisher. It is a higher pick mainly because of how heavy I am on 5-drops and the hope is to play it on turn 7+. Note that If I weren't so heavy on the top end, I'd usually pass over Owls and hope for a Spellbreaker instead, as you'd usually want that silence around turn 4+ anyway. The other choices are both decent and despite being this deep into the draft I don't have that many 3s and 4s.

Pick #23 -  Booty Bay Bodyguard / Fen Creeper / Stormwind Champion
Probably the most questionable pick for me seeing how many high costing cards the deck has, I mainly didn't pick Fen Creeper because I wanted to diversify and pick up something other than a 5-drop. Stormwind enables some neat trades particularly with the +1 health, but will often be a dead card especially with that many high cost minions already in the deck. It is most efficient when you have many smaller minions and will continue to play them even late into the game. It synergizes best with the 3 Silver Hand Knights here. The Bodyguard is terrible, and should almost never be picked.

I feel the rest of the picks were relatively easy for the draft despite some of them not being the most popular picks or in line with those of the writers. I feel like my draft would go 6+ wins, dropping games to really bad opening hands.

[/SPOILER]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:34:37 AM by xyish »

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »
Speaking of the Arena, I'm curious how fellow HiPstas here pick their cards. I'm absolute garbage at Arena (and marginally better making decks when I have all the cards available to me  :lol:), and from looking at the screens of people posting of their arena runs, I wanna know yo secrets. Obviously whatever class you pick will influence your decision, but I want to learn more. Do you prioritize mana cost? Do you grab what you think is the best every turn? Are you taking every class-specific card that appears?

Reading the breakdown and links xyish posted does help me, but I'm curious if we have a general consensus on how to construct arena decks.

Offline Mage77

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
Battletag: Mage77 #2920
Region: EU

Haven't played a ton so I'm just yoloing Arena trying to learn all of the classes.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »
Also note that now you can log into EU, US and ASIA regions from the same client, so the tags will now work across servers.

Card collections are separate, as are friends lists (so you need to add everyone to each server). Let's just assume the reported Region (as in the first post) is your MAIN place of play.

Offline xyish

• Masuda's bitch
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
Quote from: thatonezombie on March 14, 2014, 04:19:37 AM
Speaking of the Arena, I'm curious how fellow HiPstas here pick their cards. I'm absolute garbage at Arena (and marginally better making decks when I have all the cards available to me  :lol:), and from looking at the screens of people posting of their arena runs, I wanna know yo secrets. Obviously whatever class you pick will influence your decision, but I want to learn more. Do you prioritize mana cost? Do you grab what you think is the best every turn? Are you taking every class-specific card that appears?

Reading the breakdown and links xyish posted does help me, but I'm curious if we have a general consensus on how to construct arena decks.

I think there are no hard and fast rules to stick to for drafts, and that the number of different opinions on a single pick even from strong players really proves this.
Generally though, you'd want to pick the best cards but more importantly you want a strong cohesive deck, and the best pick for that is not always immediately apparent. Remember that you can stop at any point of the draft, think it through and come back to the pick at any time so don't rush into a pick.

I tend to aim for a strong midrange decks since those are easier in construction from a random pool than building a solid lategame control or all-out aggro.
I tend to prioritize the early game FIRST, then the finishers, picking everything good in between to a balance while keeping the options open. Let's break that down to the different stages.

EARLY GAME
You want a good amount of 2-mana cards that you will play on turn 2, preferably minions.
This may include early game removal and weapons, or accelerators like Innervate.
Typically I aim for at least 3 playable cards on 2, but wouldn't mind more. I try not to overload on them lest I lose power in the later stages. The more you pick up, the more aggressive options you want to consider. I consider around 7 to be plenty.
This is more personal flavor, but I like maybe a couple of 1-mana minions, if nothing else for 2-drop denial. Worgen Infiltrator and Abusive Sergeant are top picks in this slot. You lose card advantage to secure board initiative, which allows you to control how the game plays, often spiraling out of control if you are the first player. Quote from: thatonezombie on March 14, 2014, 04:19:37 AM

I think there are no hard and fast rules to stick to for drafts, and that the number of different opinions on a single pick even from strong players really proves this.
Generally though, you'd want to pick the best cards but more importantly you want a strong cohesive deck, and the best pick for that is not always immediately apparent. Remember that you can stop at any point of the draft, think it through and come back to the pick at any time so don't rush into a pick.

I tend to aim for a strong midrange decks since those are easier in construction from a random pool than building a solid lategame control or all-out aggro.
I tend to prioritize the early game FIRST, then the finishers, picking everything good in between to a balance while keeping the options open. Let's break that down to the different stages.

EARLY GAME
You want a good amount of 2-mana cards that you will play on turn 2, preferably minions.
This may include early game removal and weapons, or accelerators like Innervate.
Typically I aim for at least 3 playable cards on 2, but wouldn't mind more. I try not to overload on them lest I lose power in the later stages. The more you pick up, the more aggressive options you want to consider. I consider around 7 to be plenty.
This is more personal flavor, but I like maybe a couple of 1-mana minions, if nothing else for 2-drop denial. Worgen Infiltrator and Abusive Sergeant are top picks in this slot. You lose card advantage to secure board initiative, which allows you to control how the game plays, often spiraling out of control if you are the first player.
Quote from: thatonezombie on March 14, 2014, 04:19:37 AM

EARLY GAME
This is more personal flavor, but I like maybe a couple of 1-mana minions, if nothing else for 2-drop denial. Worgen Infiltrator and Abusive Sergeant are top picks in this slot. You lose card advantage to secure board initiative, which allows you to control how the game plays, often spiraling out of control if you are the first player. is an excellent 1-drop and good for baiting out an overreaction, you'll often find them spending more to remove it than you have invested in it, and being able to trade up with it is often worth it even if it hasn't done much life damage.
3-mana drops are less important, as they are usually comparable to 2-mana ones. Barring strong class cards, you may even skip them completely. Always pick
Harvest Golems, and if available also Scarlet Crusaders because they are hard to remove and are guaranteed damage. Shattered Sun Clerics are great at enabling better trades, but very often won't have a target at 3. Farseer does similar, but for damaged minions.
Always mulligan for early game cards, typically toss back everything above 4 barring fringe situations like with Innervate and/or coin. If you toss everything you are statistically quite likely to draw into something you can play in the first 3 turns even without very many of them.
Once again if you have Innervate you can pretty much skip this stage completely, a turn 1 or 2 Yeti can be unrecoverable from for many decks, especially in arena where these answers are less common.

MID GAME
4-mana is the first real turning point in the game, and is also the cost for everyone's favorite textless 4/5 minion, the Chillwind Yeti. It is perfectly fine to overload on 4s, because often the only turns you won't get to saturate your mana are 5 and 7 in a 4-heavy deck. Pick the best, and as many as you need.
5-mana cards are somewhat less powerful, especially in neutral cards, but aren't the worst thing to have. Once again, take as many as required. One consideration is that on turns past 10, you could be playing 2 5-mana cards a turn while the opponent may only be playing two 4s, or often just one 6+ card a turn, which means you are putting more power on the board. Try not to overload just to prevent having bad mulligan situations.
Tempo cards are strongest in this stage, consider sapping or freezing and losing card advantage for massive tempo plays.

LATE GAME
In the 6+ slot you are looking for big game ending threats that they will have trouble dealing with. You don't want too many because bad draws will lose you more games unless you have great ways to skip the early game, just have about as many as you expect them to have hard removal. Try not to play them out onto a board where they can trade out, or you might lose an out of the game. If you are halfway through your draft and don't have any real threats and your deck is not one that can beatdown opponents easily in the early game, start picking bad ones, even War Golems and Archmages. Frostwolf Warlords and Frost Elementals aren't the worst options.

KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN
Try to have a good amount of removal/answers for every stage of play, but it's not the worst if you can't get many. It's worse to end up with a hand with no real plays, and you usually want no more than just a couple on hand at any time. Take note of what you have used, and try to anticipate their plays. If you have the means to remove a Yeti by trading several cheaper minions, it's often a much better play than using your only Polymorph on it. The reverse is true, and you'll often want to bait premium removal out on your lower value minions, be it by committing minions on board to pressure, or via buffs. Avoid taking damage on large minions by trading out smaller ones, it makes their AoEs less impactful and makes it harder to rid of your bigger minions, even if it means losing damage. It's not always bad though, playing a huge minion the turn before they can Flamestrike may make them rethink it and they may try to delay and even play to your advantage if you already have the answers in hand. If you have many ways to remove something, consider even the worst ones, sometimes keeping the best ones for later IS the better option. When playing risky game closers like Venture Co. and Earth Elemental consider whether there are other plays and whether you would lose the game straight up if you get hit with Humility/Peacekeeper and Black Knight/any hard removal.

These are only general draft and play tips, but there's a lot more to it. I'd still say play to what you're most comfortable with even if there are widely accepted "stronger" options, as you'll be more confident in the plays and make less errors - they often aren't obvious until much later. And over time try to widen the range of styles you are comfortable with and pick up all the neat tricks you lost to. Try to see the reasoning behind others' picks, and you'll start making better drafts yourself.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:45:45 AM by xyish »

Offline U.S.S. John E. Badass

• Café 俺
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Let them eat Québec
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
I've already come out of the closet about liking this game on IRC, so I'll leave my tag here as well.

PriestRoy#2661 on EU.

Offline xyish

• Masuda's bitch
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Haven't posted here in a while, just sharing a situation I found myself facing while doing quests on my EU account which has next to no expert cards.

Can you figure out what play I made?

Side rant: EU casual seems to be all Miracle Rogues now, I faced 5 different ones in a row with my basic decks the other day, and the first game I played on casual yesterday was another one. I might be sticking to ranked for a while (don't even have the cards to Huntard them lol).

--

Ranked Season 1 begins soon, what are everyone's plans for it?
Will you try to hit Legendary status in the first ever official ranked season?
What decks will you run? Will you try to counter the meta or follow it?

Personally I have a few decks I'm fairly comfortable running on the ladder, and with some pretty experimental stuff in them. They might not be as consistent as the decks people are running but they're like my pet decks, and I have decent success with them even without legendaries. I've only been hovering around rank 5 (this is where I started dropping games to Hunters that Arcane Shot my face on turn 1 or 3) this season but I haven't played that many games overall, and most of it was Arena. A couple of my secretsauce cards are Mana Wraith and Alarm-o-Bot. I have other ideas but I'm not sure how to approach them now, especially since I'm lacking a whole bunch of epics and legendaries.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »
Can you figure out what play I made?
Pyro -> Backstab Argus -> Betrayal middle Molten -> Coin -> Stormpike Molten.... I assume lol

Ranked Season 1 begins soon, what are everyone's plans for it?
Will you try to hit Legendary status in the first ever official ranked season?
What decks will you run? Will you try to counter the meta or follow it?
I doubt I'll have the energy to grind Legendary anytime soon, since that shit takes time even for a skilled player. Lately I've found myself watching more Hearthstone than actually playing it, just handling dailies on EU and US and stuff like that.

So I'm content with getting the nice Pandaria back (left, legend on the right) for rank 20 and testing some wonky decks... while mostly playing arena again, I suppose.

Offline xyish

• Masuda's bitch
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »
That is indeed the play, I guess I was just pretty excited that one of my only rares working out for me so nicely against such a powerful deck. And I had just enough to make that play, too.

I haven't played much constructed outside of finishing up dailies I didn't want to do in arena the past few seasons, and I got to rank 6 before I really started even losing games (dat extra star baby) with my current experimental stuff and even then it was mostly to Hunters, so if this keeps up for the new season I certainly don't see too much of an issue getting into Legend, though actually competing within legend? I don't see that happening any time soon unless I get a bunch of lucky pulls from packs. We will see though, maybe the lure of the card back AND it being the first official ranked season will put everyone in super tryhard mode and make it a lot tougher.

I think the biggest difference between Test Season 4 and the previous seasons for me was the ability (or bug :p) to reroll my quests more than I should have been able to so I could get Total Domination or just Domination quests for the classes that I'd rather play (and probably not lose stars at rank 16). This seemed to only be happening on NA, and I could do it a bit more often than once every 3 days (perhaps there was some trick to it that I never figured out), but it meant infinite rerolls across the 3 dailies within a certain pool for the day (not every day had 100g, and on bad days there weren't even any 60g quests in the pool)

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
Was just randomly playing some arena, and look who I just ran into!

Won handily by drawing perfect responses to everything she had.

After going 1-3 in my previous draft, this made my night.
Well, this and getting Hogger in the pack from that 1-3 draft.

Edit:
Woohoo! First ever 10-win arena run for me!
Plus got a Baron Geddon in the pack!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:44:14 AM by Slack »

Offline xyish

• Masuda's bitch
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
Preview of some of my new strats to tackle this ranked season

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 05:24:39 AM »
I got a legendary!

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
What's the most of one card you've ever drafted in Arena?

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dal Shabet - Pink Rocket