JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: High and Mighty Color - Amazing

Author Topic: [CHI] Stephen Chow  (Read 91217 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Stephen Chow - KING OF COMEDY
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
Oh right! Shaolin Soccer!

*Makes note to rent it and watch it at work*

Offline Shea

• B&
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2006, 11:00:30 AM »
You've yet to see Shaolin Soccer?  Heh,  it's an awesome movie...  ( the dub kinda ruins it tho. )

Ogawa Makoto

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2006, 11:02:57 AM »
That's why I always wait for the DVD when I get foreign movies. :)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2006, 11:30:21 AM »
shaolin soccer is fucking genious. way better than kung-fu hustle. i never saw the dub except for on trailors and even that made me cringe. i heard they cut things out of the dub release too... odd.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline smoothee

• old school lovin'
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »
nobody's mentioned God of Cookery!! that has got to be near the top of my list for stephen chow movies!! anyways.. quick summary.. stephen chow is like the god of the cooking world, [hence the title] but he actually cant cook and uses gangster relations and money to buy out the other chefs.. but then he is betrayed by his partner [ng man tat] and becomes a poor man living in the red light district of hon kong. there he meets some gangsters and they invent a new product called pissing meat ball by combining the pissing shrimp and the meatball.. it sells very well and he earns the right to compete for the god of cookery title. but first he goes to china to find a cooking school which turns out to be a shaolin temple.. there he learns kung fu and cooking and wins the competition.

anyone with screencaps or other stuff please post since i have none..

~ the official mikitty thread ~ the A.M.E [aya matsuura eden] ~ G.A.M official thread ~

~ join the wonky love crew ~ help us pimp up tanakacchi here ~

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
Good Of Cookery is the shit! It's at least as good if not better than Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. The scenes with the Shaolin bronzemen were hilarious :lol:

Hmm... I wonder if I still have that movie.

Offline smoothee

• old school lovin'
  • Member+
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2006, 01:29:24 AM »
hmm another one is god of gamblers 2.. which also features andy lau and ng man tat.. andy and stephen made a great comedy combo but ndy has moved on into "serious" acting :doh:

the story is on stephen and his uncle [ng man tat] and how stephen has a special power that allows him to see through things and to change things.. so his uncle tries tog et him to enter the gambling world by becoming the apprentice of the GOD of gamblers [chow yun fat] *although he doesnt appear in the movie* and they try to reach him by talking to god of gamblers disciple, gambling warrior? [andy lau] and many funny moments ensue but these gansters who want revenge and try to use gambling warriors name to trick money of rich people on a gambling boat and so stephen and andy must try and stop them by winning against them although the gansters have set up the boat with cameras and mircophones :P

eheh this is a really good movie and id reccoment it to all stephen chow fans.. theres also:

god of gamblers [starring andy lau and chow yun fat] it has no stephen chow so i wont talk about it in this thread

saint of gamblers [starring stephen chow and ng man tat] this explains the history of how stpehn got into gambling]

saint of gambling 2 [stephen chow gets transported into the past and meets people from a tv show]

ye.. all i can remember atm.. there are numerous spoof movies that use the god of gamblers name so look wisely!! :evil:

~ the official mikitty thread ~ the A.M.E [aya matsuura eden] ~ G.A.M official thread ~

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2006, 06:46:50 AM »
Shaolin Soccer just arrived from Amazon today. :)

Hopefully I'll get to watch it tomorrow.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 02:28:53 PM »
Stephan Chow is truly the King of Comedy, i had been watching his movies since I was a kid with my parents.  They love his movies.  They call him the master of "no sense" comedy because sometimes in the movies he does thing that makes no sense, but still hilariously funny.  Kung Fu Hustle is one of my favorites.  I also like the Royal Tramp 1 and 2 very much.  Also the Chinese Odessey pt 1 and 2.  the Fight Back to School trilogy was cool, but i liked the first one best. God of Gamblers 3: Back to Shanghai was a very good one for me, But check out the other god of gamblers as well, even the one without Stephan Chow because they're that good.

Offline cuccuc

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 10:32:46 PM »
to me, who has watched all his movies, I thinnk that King OF COmedy is one of his worst. SOrry to say that, but compare to his other movies, this is boring!

Offline smoothee

• old school lovin'
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
well. it was one of his earlier movies i think? but yeh.. not as good as per say.. the fight back to school ones.. but then agian.. i dont think kung fu hustle and shaolin soccer are THAT great.. i liked traditional stpehn chow without all the special affects and stuff.. cuz the comedy was more real? but in this age.. every movie needs some FX i guess..

Offline bumsquad

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2006, 08:17:10 PM »
man whens this guy coming out w/ another movie?! I can't freaking wait. I've seen like all his movies. U guys watch a chinese odyssey 1 and 2?

Offline Sangreal

• Member+
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
i only have his shaolin soccer but i have seen kung fu husle
man what a movie..

Offline Flow-

• Professional Slacker
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »
Stephen Chow is the man! Shoalin Soccer was awesome.
Btw, has anyone seen Sixty-Million Dollar Man?

Offline smoothee

• old school lovin'
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2006, 09:12:56 AM »
Quote from: bumsquad
man whens this guy coming out w/ another movie?! I can't freaking wait. I've seen like all his movies. U guys watch a chinese odyssey 1 and 2?

i've seen chinese oddyssey 1 & 2!! hehe!! i find that it isnt really funny but more serious? but still very enjoyable!! :D in number 1 when they fight the giant spider and when he uses the pandora box to repeat the events and keeps screwing up XD

and athena chu in number 2 is HAWT!!! :P :P

Offline TwYsTeD

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »
Stephen Chow is one of my favorite hong kong actors i love his old stuff
fight back to school
the mad monk
tricky brains
flirting scholar
out of dark
 are just a few of the ones i like...
i know they are filming kung fu hustle 2 i cannot wait....

Offline kwanleekwan

• Member+
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
Sure! He is the king of comedy. Luckily, I live in Hong Kong. So, I have watched almost all of his movies. They can still make me laugh when I watch them again after 10 years. Does you guy know he perform in a kid programme when he began his career?

Offline skyfire

• Who are you calling P-Chan?
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2006, 03:51:04 PM »
he's a comical genius and a triple threat in the show biz. i love how he brilliantly parodies other western movies

Offline num2son

• Member+
  • Nice to be Important but more Important to be Nice
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »
^^I agree

I like both movies, Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer.

Designed by Miichan

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 05:11:33 AM »
I just hope the next generation will be able to appreciate his work as much as we do currently.  It'll be tough though cause some of the younger kids might not understand the cultural references he makes or may not have seen the movies he parodies.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: High and Mighty Color - Amazing