JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rin Toshite Shigure - Turbocharger On

Author Topic: [Dr. Watanabe x Nurse Kashiwagi Christmas Special] Under the Mistletoe (29 Dec)  (Read 218356 times)

Offline Jessye

• ecchi
  • Member+
 :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

That was not the end, right..?

Anyway, thanks for your hardwork.....

I bet the readers (me too) is still patiently waiting for your updates, even it takes so long long time, hahaha.. XD

But, to see Mayuki in real world are so rare, nowdays.. :'(

It is makes me so sad..
You are so missing them, aren't you? :')

Anyway, I'm so proud I have a a fellow fan as fanfic-writer that have a good talent like this.. :D

Offline mayuki_daisuki

• ecchi
  • Member+
omg yuko and mario,  :shocked i dont no what to say :nervous
yes finally mayu proposed to yuki :cow: :cathappy:
awww jurina wants to hang out with ren :yep:
haha sae kun is so funny :lol:, mario's right though sae, plus mayu already stole yuki's heart, better luck next time :P though i do feel sorry for the poor thing :mon wind:
thank you for the update :tama-heart: :tama-lotsaluv:
My kami-oshi is Mayuyu, and my oshimen is Oku Manami.

Offline Kimcoton

• Pinoy Alliance {:D
  • ecchi
Finally mayu proposed to yuki *\(^o^)/*
It's nice seeing ren take things lightly .
Yuko and mario xD these two are so funny xD i smell love around them hahahah .
thanks for the update :D

Offline Yuki88

• The Nocturnal Black Snow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • "Do you love me?"
I love this update so much, thanks very much <3

Totally  LOL for Mario and Yuuko's part. Now I wonder if Mario is falling for Yuuko or just feeling plain guilty XD

And... AAWWWWWWWWWWW SO SWEET OF MAYUKI PROPOSE kyaaaaaaa <3
Anai Chihiro is my one and only.

"Are we nothing more than the captain and her vice captain?"

My random OS Idea Center || Hakata Legend (HKT48 drabble fics) || Virgin Love (A TomoYuki Fluff) -hiatus?-

Tumblr version of my fics archive: http://blacksnow88.tumblr.com/

Offline Wmatsui22

• ecchi
  • Member+
Hello Seigus-san! ;)

You finally update! :D

I will read it at home!

Thanks for update!

hello.

I am a fan of AkB48.

I really love their songs.

I really like their fan fiction.

Offline DC2805

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Think with your wisdom, Love with your heart.
 :twothumbs Hooray! A new update!!! *jumping up & down on bed even before reading* :yossi:

Thank u, seigus-san!  :) :) :)
Visit my FFs:
We Love the Hospital! OS (Mayuki + Wmatsui) + Omake
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36072.0

The Foreigner Husband and The Traditional Wife (Wmatsui)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36090.0

[Short OS] "Puppy" Love (Pairings: JR + YH)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36408.0

My Little Brother Can't Be This Cute!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36678.0

Derailed - OS featuring Aya x Nao
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=37305.0

Offline Minami-chan

• Member+
  • Still Love You
It was a great chapter.
Can´t wait to see the wedding of Yuki and Mayu, and follow the first steps of marriage.
On the other, a curious pair of Yuko and Mario, would be great in the end ended up feeling something for one another.
Ren and Jurina yes please!

Offline LoyalFlutist

• clinical scientist
  • Member+
  • DRG @ Sargatanas (FFXIV)
    • animeminafans
You've finally updated! I was looking forward to this update!  :luvluv1:

Awww~ Mayu finally proposed to Yuki! So cute~ Go get married quickly you both!  :luvluv2:

And oh dear... Both Yuko and Mario... Wouldn't be surprised if we see them both start falling for each other.  :whistle:

Thank you for the update and looking forward to your next one!  :hee:

"You'll come to treasure these scars."

HIATUS: The Virus | How Far Are You Prepared To Go? | Sanity | Hidden Truth | Disappearance (Season 2) *Tumblr-only* | Vengeance
ACTIVE: Majisuka Gakuen OS | OS | Idol Royale
REMAKE: Disappearance S1 | Wandering Ship | Hidden Truth
COLLABORATIONS: Phantom Pain w/Llyloo

Twitter: https://twitter.com/animeminafans | AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/users/KazueEmiko/pseuds/KazueEmiko | Discord Server: https://discord.gg/ZAfq3QtEwA

Zine Projects: Our Future Days (The Last of Us) [Pre-order TBA] | IDOLIZED! (Love Live!) [Pre-order - Digital] | Eizineken! (Eizouken Ni Wa) [Packaging] | Tales from the Animal Forest (Animal Crossing) [Pre-order TBA] | Amor Fati (Fate/Grand Order) [Creation Period]

Offline Wmatsui22

• ecchi
  • Member+
Hello ;)

Finally, I finished reading the chapter 4.7

Usual, It's very funny and very interesting ;)

But I am a bit confused at Haruna, Mariko and Yuko...

Who is the pairing? >,<

I want to know, please  :bow:

MariHaru? KojiYuu? MariYuko?

Thanks..

Please Update Soon!

MaYuki is so sweet :)
hello.

I am a fan of AkB48.

I really love their songs.

I really like their fan fiction.

Offline kurogumi

• X&Y
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • WMATSUI, MAYUKI, GEKIBLACK, RENAIRIN, JURIMAYU
Okay!! Finally the propose!!

And in romantic way! LOL!!
Simple but romantic...

Mayuki...i miss them soo much...
Why they dont look together this day? (T^T) aaa~

Mario and yuko

That's really hard to believe that they err....
And im so sad for yuko,somehow i know nyan nyan doesn't love her back...
And mario~ hmm...it would be an interesting pair if they together,yuko and mario LOL

Ren...
He got message from jurina! LOL

Thank for the update seigus-san
RENA-SAMA!!!

YUKI-SAMA!!!

Offline Chanaline

• Bouyaaa
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I'm not English... Please Help me with that!
Aaah perfect propose! Perfect!

Ahhh! Yuko and Mario! What?! Shock!  :shocked :shocked

Poor Yuko!!! Nyannyan doesn't love her!! :cry:

Ren you should go to Jurina!!

Want to know the next! It seems that it will be interesting for Mario&Yuko and for Rena and Jurina

Thank you for it!
Mayuki = Cutest couple

Married?!-Mayuki fanfic (maybe it will have another pair)

Offline rhin12

• ecchi
  • Member+
 :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove: :inlove:

:inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove:  :inlove: :inlove:

Doc watanabe is super cheesy and sweet. The proposal was perfect!!!!!!  :otomerika:  :yossi:  :cow:  :deco:  :deco:

Looking forward for the honeymoon wedding.  XD Mario and Yuko is epic as ever.  :lol:   :rofl: I wonder how things will turn out after that file transfer thingy. XD

Thanks for the update seigus-san  :bow: :bow: :bow:  :cow:

Offline chichay12

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • atsumina for life....
Doc watanabe is super cheesy and sweet. The proposal was perfect!!!!!!  :otomerika:  :yossi:  :cow:  :deco:  :deco:

Looking forward for the honeymoon wedding.  XD Mario and Yuko is epic as ever.  :lol:   :rofl: I wonder how things will turn out after that file transfer thingy. XD

Thanks for the update seigus-san  :bow: :bow: :bow:  :cow:
me too..looking forward *cough* honeymoon *cough*..
pls update soon seigus-san *pout*

Offline FNK23

• ecchi
  • Member+
“Isn’t that… Oh my God! The diamond ring! That means Dr. Watanabe finally proposed to her!” she screamed in delight.

“WHAT?” Yuko, Ren and Sae dropped whatever they were doing and scrambled towards Akicha. Yuko snatched the phone.
He WHAT ??!!  :shock: :shock:
Oh my~ i also shouted for that!!!  :stoned:
Finally, a proper proposal, it's really a sweet moment, really want to see it in the real life  :luvluv2:
Aahhh, it makes me  :on gay: :on gay:

Offline gek geki

• 松井玲奈 松井玲奈 松井玲奈 松井玲奈
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 松井玲奈 looooooooooooooove~
YES I DO  :wub:

I DO  ;)

I DO  8)

I DO  XD

I DO  :P

I DO  :drool:

CANT WAIT THAT SCENE
AND ANOTHER COUPLE

Offline Ricchan_Sawa

• みんなの執事
  • Member+
hell yeaa, forever alone "yellow Miyazawa Sae G.B" FUSSRODAA

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
[MaYuki Oneshot - Mayu's Belated Birthday Special] Gone Too Soon (12 May)
« Reply #296 on: May 12, 2013, 03:10:32 AM »
A/N: Hi everyone! If you think I had forgotten about writing a Mayuyu birthday fic then you are wrong! Then again, it's not surprising if you think that way because it's been more than a month since her birthday. This story is waaaaaay overdue and I sincerely apologise for that :bow: A lot of things had been getting in the way of writing but I'm glad it's finally done. There's no way I can miss out on dedicating a birthday fic for my beloved oshimen. Anyway, this is a long short story (if that even makes sense :sweatdrop:) so please be prepared for a long read. I had contemplated splitting it into two parts but decided against it as I envision the story to play out like a short film. I hope you'll enjoy it and of course, happy 19th birthday again, Mayuyu! \(^o^)/

---

Gone Too Soon

A chill ran down Kashiwagi Yuki’s spine as she exited the polished glass doors of an office building in downtown Tokyo. The sky peeking out in between the towering skyscrapers around her was tinged in a hazy hue that resembled the baggy luminous orange polo shirt that clad her svelte frame. Whipping around, she found the leaves on the nearby tree rustling

But there was no wind.

She clicked her tongue. Scanning the weary and grim faces of the office workers jostling past her with quick strides towards the subway station, she discovered none of them had noticed the strange phenomenon. It didn’t surprise her though. Everyone was too preoccupied with their own dreary lives after all. She looked ahead, remembering that the bicycle she used for work was parked somewhere nearby but she observed the tree again. This time, even its thin branches were swaying. Without a second’s thought, she spun around, almost bumping into a balding salaryman, and dashed in the direction of the nearest alley. Feet wrapped in holey and frayed black sneakers carried her deep in till the sounds of traffic were nothing but a distant murmur and more importantly, there was no one around. The sun was setting and darkness was gradually enveloping the narrow space.

She leant her heavily panting self against the gritty concrete wall. An empty drink can on the ground rolled towards her even though no one kicked it.

She clenched her fists.

Just a few steps away from her, Watanabe Mayu grinned, baring a row of perfect white teeth, amusement evident on her face – that was, if Yuki could see her. Her body was one with the still air – untouchable and invisible. She could pass through walls, objects, humans, yet she could also touch them if she wanted to for she had been living long enough in this world to know her abilities inside-out. Her abilities as a wandering spirit.

She giggled silently and glided towards Yuki. Clear onyx eyes twinkling with mischievous glee, she blew a puff in the scowling young lady’s face.

Yuki squeezed her eyes shut as a gust of icy wind invaded her senses.

“Hey, don’t do that!” she complained loudly, nearly shouting. Then her eyes widened and she slapped her hands over her mouth. “Crap.”

“Are you afraid that people will hear?” a girlish voice asked teasingly.

“Of course! They’ll think that I’m nuts for talking to myself,” Yuki retorted in a hushed tone. “Even though there’s no one around now, I can never be too sure. Now show yourself. I’m already feeling stupid from talking to air.”

An amused chortle sounded before a figure that was shorter than the human materialized and Yuki snapped her head back instinctively when she realised Mayu was just inches away from her face.

Bonk!

“Ouch!” Yuki stooped down, clutching her head in pain. She had forgotten the wall was just behind her. Amused chortles reached her ears.

“You are clumsy as ever.”

“S-Shut up! It’s your fault for coming s-so close!”

“Aren’t you jumpy tonight? Could it be that you thought I was going to kiss you?” Mayu’s upside down grinning face popped into view again, this time, right at Yuki’s feet. She had bent over backwards at an inhuman angle to reach Yuki who was crouching on the floor. Drawing a sharp breath, the annoyed woman smacked at Mayu’s face in reflex only to have it pass through the spirit.

“Don’t do that. You look freaky,” she chastised.

“I am supposed to be freaky,” quipped Mayu as she retracted her body and returned to a standing position. “I am a ghost after all.”

Yuki removed the red cap sitting on her head and used it to fan herself. Beads of perspiration had formed on her forehead from the short sprint. A logo with the words “Flash Pizza” was embroidered on the front of the cap.

“Your birthday is in a week, isn’t it?” she asked in between deep breaths. She reached behind her head to re-tie her low ponytail that had come loose. “What do you want me to burn for you this time?”

The impish smile on the spirit’s face disappeared as she floated above a huge wooden crate and settled herself on it.

“I haven’t received the headphones and MP3 player you burnt last year,” Mayu deadpanned, swinging her legs like a little kid.

“Hmm… Maybe burning paper offerings only works for the Chinese,” Yuki muttered in response. She gritted her teeth, feeling a familiar dull ache building up in her chest.

“Or maybe it was because you didn’t buy those that were made by professionals. I can’t believe you tried to pass off a cheap hairband with cotton balls stuck on its ends as a pair of headphones. Insincere brat,” scoffed the pouting spirit who was dressed in a white blouse and a grey pinafore that went past her knees. The top was buttoned up all the way to her alabaster throat, making the black-haired beauty look very much like a demure convent girl. When she received no reply from her human companion, she peeked at Yuki and immediately frowned at what she saw.

Yuki had shoved both hands into her tattered waist pouch and was rummaging through its contents. A few seconds later, her hands emerged with a tiny bottle of white pills. She unscrewed the cap and shakily popped a few – she didn’t count - past her dry lips, swallowing them without water.

Mayu bit her inner cheek.

Yuki relaxed her legs and allowed her rump to hit the floor as she slumped against the wall which sported black spray spots left by street vandals. The pain in her chest soon subsided and her laborious breathing eased significantly. She let out a long wheeze before focusing her attention on the waiting Mayu again.

“Sorry. What were we talking about?” Yuki pondered aloud before answering her own question. “Oh right. What do you want for your birthday this year?”

Mayu cast her eyes at her black shoes, not answering.

“Mayu?”

The spirit mumbled after a long pause, “Nothing.”

I’m lying.

Mayu watched solemnly as Yuki kept the pills, pulled her cap over her crown and slowly pushed herself off the ground.

“Well, I’ve got to get back to work. There’s still another delivery to be made. When you think of what you want, let me know,” Yuki informed casually and proceeded to jog out of the alley.

“It’s not a pizza delivery, right?” The quiet voice halted Yuki in her tracks. The young woman looked back and their eyes met. Neither of them said anything. Turning on her heel, Yuki continued on her way.

---

It was almost midnight when Yuki dragged her worn-out self to her home which was a rented room in a seedy part of town. She shared the dingy apartment with three other occupants – one of them was currently passed out on the living room couch with an empty beer bottle in hand. When Yuki closed the main door, the petite brown-haired woman jolted at the sudden sound and the bottle dropped to the floor with a heavy thud. Yuki froze, holding her breath. Seconds later, uncouth snores filled the room again. Yuki exhaled in relief and tiptoed past her sleeping housemate to her own room, locking the door like a stealthy burglar.

Her room was bare, cramped and devoid of colours. The only pieces of furniture were a single bed, a narrow plywood study desk and a stiff plastic chair. Her bedsheet was a dull grey while the walls were painted a boring white. Parts of the paint had peeled and turned yellow with age.

Plopping down on the creaky chair, Yuki opened the drawer of her desk and took out a syringe and a small packet filled with a powdery white substance. She poured a minuscule amount of water into a clear plastic cup, mixed in the powder and filled the syringe with the fluid.

Sniff.

Her nose was beginning to drip and shivers gradually seized control of her body. She knew she had to do it fast. Sniveling, she rolled up her left sleeve, revealing many purplish bruises around her inner elbow. Next, she unbuckled her belt and expertly wound it around her left upper arm as tightly as possible till it hurt to move. She flexed her arm muscles. Previously invisible veins popped up all over. Steadying the syringe in her right hand, she poked the needle into one of the greenish vessels and pushed the plunger.

“Ah…” She closed her eyes and reclined in the chair, leaving the needle in her arm for a while.

In a corner of the room, on Yuki’s bed, Mayu watched the familiar scene unfold in silence. It was a nightly ritual. Yanking her eyes away from the heart-wrenching sight, she distracted herself with a faded and crumpled photograph pasted on the wall next to the bed. In the picture was a family of three. Everyone was all smiles with a cherubic girl sandwiched between two adults. Mayu chuckled lightly at how both the father and daughter owned what she called potato noses.

“What are you laughing about?”

Yuki’s weak voice broke the spirit’s train of thoughts. Under the fluorescent light, ugly dark eye rings stood out against Yuki’s pasty skin like glaring coffee stains on a splendid wedding dress. Mayu was instantly brought back to reality, noting how the gaunt woman before her looked nothing like the vivacious six-year-old in the photo. The Yuki she knew was a beautiful child with the roundest sparkling eyes ever and had the potential to grow into a confident and gorgeous woman who could charm the socks off any hot-blooded young man.

If only that incident didn’t happen.

“Nothing.”

Eyes still closed, Yuki relished the surge of euphoria that was quickly washing over her senses. Her head felt light and all traces of discomfort were swept away. Her vision swayed, as though her body was floating carelessly in a vast ocean. With a satisfied sigh, she extracted the needle and rubbed vigorously at the spot before removing the belt around her arm.

“Is that the word of the day?” she remarked sarcastically as she busied herself with disinfecting the syringe for her next use which would be in another seven hours’ time. Stripping off her uniform which smelled strongly of cheese and bell pepper, she haphazardly chucked the articles of clothing over the back of the chair before dressing herself in an oversized T-shirt. As she lay down on her rock-hard bed, she asked again, “So what do you want for your birthday?”

“Why do you care so much?” came the curious response. “I’ve been through so many birthdays that they really don’t mean a thing to me now.”

Yuki looked up at the spirit sitting next to her.

“You are the only person who has stuck with me for so long… even though you are a ghost.”

Their eyes met again.

“And you saved my life.”

Yuki’s chapped lips curved into a soft smile before her eyelids drooped as she succumbed to fatigue and the tempting lull of sleep. With a soundless snap of her fingers, Mayu switched off the light in the room, leaving only the pale moonlight to illuminate the room.

“I lied,” Mayu said in a low whisper, gazing fondly at Yuki’s snoozing profile. “I do have a birthday wish.” Reaching forward, she caressed the haggard face tenderly. Pain tore through her non-beating heart as moisture welled up in her eyes.

“I wish that your illness will be cured… and that you will break free of your addiction.”

The memories of how she met a young Yuki were still fresh in her mind as if they had only happened yesterday…

“Neko-chan! Don’t run away!”

Mayu was lazing on a bench in a small park and making a leaf dance in the air when a high-pitched yell jolted her out of her afternoon reverie. The next thing she knew, a furry grey kitten zipped past her towards the main road while a little girl with braided black hair was hot on its heels. Mayu had seen her fair share of road accidents in the years she had been roaming the earth and she knew what was going to happen next.

Frantic car honks and an ear-splitting screech of rubber burning against tarmac shattered the tranquility that Mayu had been enjoying.

“Tsk.”

There was a terrified shriek. And then all went silent.

Five-year-old Kashiwagi Yuki peeked through half-shut eyelids warily. “I’m… not dead?” Taking in her surroundings, she gaped in surprise that she was lying on the sidewalk. Her mouth hung open so widely that Mayu thought a fly might make it its home. Yuki attempted to sit up only to have a sharp pain shoot up her arms and legs. “Ah, blood!” her round eyes popped at the raw and torn skin adorning her limbs.

‘What’s with her exaggerated reactions?’ Mayu’s brows knitted at the weird girl. ‘Shouldn’t she be crying from the pain?’

“Oh no, neko-chan! Where are you, neko-chan?” Yuki scrambled to her feet and started mewing like a cat in hopes of attracting the kitty’s attention. Looking at the ridiculous scene, Mayu slapped her forehead.

“Oi! You almost died!” she snapped.

Yuki froze. Stiffly, she turned her head and gasped. Mayu seriously wondered why her eyes had not dropped out of their sockets yet.

“So pretty…” Yuki’s large brown eyes sparkled in awe.

Mayu wished she hadn’t wasted her effort to push the girl out of death’s way.

“Are you an idol?”

No, wait. She should have let the car run over her – multiple times.

Mayu shot an unfriendly glare at Yuki and blurted a question of her own, “Are you an idiot?”

“Eh?” the girl took a startled step back, light pink lips quivering. “Idols don’t speak like that.” She seemed ready to burst into tears any second.

“I’m not an idol, stupid. I’m a ghost.”

“A-A g-ghost?”

“Yes, a ghost.”

Detecting how dumbfounded the girl looked, Mayu succumbed to the urge to elicit a petrified reaction from her. Smirking deviously, she performed a 360-degree rotation of her head while rolling her eyes to the back of her head, flaunting the whites of her eyes. Her tongue rolled out of her mouth and stretched towards Yuki like a slippery eel and licked the stunned child’s cheek…

---

Mayu snickered at the memory of the naïve girl screaming and fainting on the spot from the supernatural encounter. Although thoroughly amused, she felt uneasy about leaving an unconscious kid sprawled by the road, thus she hung around and waited till Yuki’s anxious parents found her. As expected, Yuki got an earful from them for running off on her own and getting herself all scratched up.

“You were such a handful back then, do you know that?” Mayu poked Yuki’s lightly freckled cheek as a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. For a brief moment, she was transported back in time at the sight of Yuki sleeping like a baby.

This child-like innocence… can we ever get it back?

One year after their first meeting, Yuki lost her doting parents in a railway accident while they were on their way back to Tokyo from a short work trip in Osaka. The train had derailed and the front carriage that they were in crashed head-first into a nearby apartment building, killing everyone onboard. It was a stomach-churning scene. The first carriage was compacted beyond recognition by the second and third cars and all the bodies were crushed to a grisly pulp with snapped bones sticking out between blood-spattered seats. Little unsuspecting Yuki who was at a daycare centre in Tokyo when the accident happened was whisked away by the welfare organization after the deaths of her parents were confirmed. As her parents did not have any close relatives, Yuki was sent to an orphanage where she grew up in a world of bullying and loneliness – a far cry from the warm and loving family that she was used to.

---

“Give it back to me!” Yuki cried, struggling to escape from the iron grasps of two girls who appeared a few years older than her. A third girl stood a distance away from them in the secluded backyard of the orphanage. Her right hand was raised high above her head, tightly gripping onto a photograph which was already crumpled by her rough handling. She cackled, showing off two rows of crooked and yellowish teeth.

“Did you hear what the weirdo said? She wants the photo back!”

The two girls holding onto Yuki howled in response, sounding very much like Cinderella’s evil stepsisters.

“Well, you know what?” the leader of the trio pinched the photo with both hands. “You will get it after I do this…”

Tugging each hand in a different direction, the conceited bully began to make a tear in the photograph.

“No!” Heart leaping to her mouth, Yuki trashed ferociously but was swiftly punched in the stomach by one of the lackeys and she keeled over, gagging.

“Weakling,” scoffed the ponytailed leader. As she was about to fully rip the photo, a sudden strong gust of wind blew it out of her hands. It danced and flitted among the trees as though it was mocking Yuki. The higher and further it flew, the harder Yuki’s heart pounded.

“No… come back! Please!”

Her knees buckled and she sank to the ground in defeat when her dearest possession was caught among the straggly top branches of a looming Japanese maple tree. Hot tears sprang to her eyes, gliding down her cheeks. Through blurred vision, she made out the outline of the irksome smirk on the leader’s face.

“Looks like even Mother Nature thinks you are weird. Have fun trying to get the picture back. And oh, try not to break an arm.”

The derisive laughter echoed in Yuki’s ears as the trio made their exit, having enjoyed their daily dose of picking on the newcomer. Once it was just Yuki left in the backyard, she let out an anguished wail, slamming her small fist against the dirt.

“Okaasan… Otousan… why did you leave me… Why didn’t you take me with you? It’s so painful without you. No one loves me anymore…”

Another blast of wind swished through the chilly backyard, swirling up fallen reddish-brown leaves and loose soil. The violent gush sent Yuki’s hair fluttering wildly and she hissed when a speck of dirt pricked her right eye. When the biting autumn wind ceased its beating on her skinny body, she squinted at the ground before her and fell back in shock.

There among the messy array of leaves was the object that held precious memories of her late parents.

“H-How…?”

A pair of feet clad in shiny black shoes and lacy white socks entered her vision.

“Hey.”

Snapping up at a vaguely familiar voice that she hadn’t heard in over a year, Yuki gasped.

“Y-You!”

Mayu stood before her, looking as divine as the first time they met.

“Keep it safe. Don’t let them get their hands on it so easily,” the spirit crouched down, stuffing the dusty photo in Yuki’s hand.

“H-How did… y-you know?” stammered Yuki.

Mayu flashed a self-assured grin and winked. “I’ve been stalking you.”

To be honest, Mayu couldn’t quite figure out her attraction to the human girl. Perhaps she had found her over-the-top reactions interesting. Perhaps she was simply tired of wandering aimlessly for more than half a century.

Or perhaps Yuki filled a bit of that empty void within her.

Ever since their meeting at the orphanage, Mayu would make herself visible to Yuki whenever the girl was alone. The playful ghost would do things to annoy her frequently and cause her to almost get caught talking to thin air as other humans couldn’t see Mayu. Yuki had lost count of the number of times she had almost snapped from the disturbances but Mayu didn’t mind the scolding and persisted. In fact, she was secretly glad that her presence was drawing Yuki’s mind away from the grief of losing her parents. Things seemed to be looking up for Yuki gradually as she was able to move on with her life and stand up to the constant bullying. Unfortunately, heaven had not toyed enough with her and tossed another rock in her path. When she was fifteen, she experienced sporadic occurrences of chest pains and breathlessness. They got so bad that she fainted from the lack of oxygen during Physical Education class one scorching summer morning. Hospital tests revealed devastating news to the teenager: she suffered from a rare congenital heart defect that would weaken her heart over time and lead to heart failure in her twenties.

Her only hope of surviving?

A heart transplant.

“How can I ever afford a transplant?” Yuki asked in between sobs as she lay curled up on the hospital bed. The pillow was damp with warm tears. It was late into the night and she was the only one awake while the other patients in the same ward were all sound asleep. “It’s impossible.”

Mayu could only sit in silence behind the broken-again girl who had been struggling so hard to fight the trials and tribulations of life. Placing a gentle hand on Yuki’s back, she offered comforting pats, hoping to soothe the turmoil running through her mind.

---

The alarm buzzed from its resting place next to Yuki’s head, jolting her awake instantly. The sudden motion of sitting upright caused her brains to rattle against the inner walls of her skull and she gripped her head in pain.

“When will you ever learn to wake up in a less destructive manner?” Mayu’s unimpressed voice drifted into Yuki’s ears.

The woman snorted in response. “I’m sorry I don’t have an army of maids to wake me gently… unlike a certain someone.”

Mayu flinched and gnawed on her lower lip. “You don’t know what you are saying.”

Sensing the acridity in Mayu’s quiet voice, Yuki knew she should have kept her mouth shut.

“At least you had a mother’s warmth,” Mayu muttered. “Even if it was only for a few years.”

Ignoring the throbbing ache in her head, Yuki slipped out of her bed and walked towards Mayu, reaching out towards the still figure sitting on the chair. A smile cracked across her face when her arms successfully wrapped around Mayu’s cold body. It wasn’t every day that Mayu allowed Yuki to make physical contact with her. Sometimes Yuki’s hands would just pass through her if she made her herself untouchable.

“I’m sorry, alright? I shouldn’t have brought up your past.”

Yuki stroke Mayu’s glossy hair. Even though Mayu was technically much older than her – more than three times her age – Yuki couldn’t resist treating her like a child, especially when Mayu was huddled into a tiny ball of insecurity.

“But Mayu, do you miss them?”

She felt Mayu tighten her fist on her shirt.

“No. I wish they never gave birth to me.”

Yuki drew her deeper into the hug as sympathy shone in her still bleary eyes. She knew little about Mayu’s past aside from the fact that she was born into a wealthy family and she hated her parents. Anything else, including the details about her death, was a mystery.

“Hey, erm… so have you thought of what you want for your birthday? I need time to prepare,” Yuki asked, hoping to change the subject.

There was a bitter laugh.

“You know something, Yuki?”

“Hmm?”

“I died on my birthday.”

It was as if a cymbal had crashed in her head. Yuki’s breathing hitched as her heart skipped a beat. Suddenly, a wave of guilt washed over her.

“I…” Yuki began, not quite knowing what to say. “I… am so sorry.”

All these years she had been unknowingly reminding Mayu of her death whenever she probed for her birthday wish.

Mayu forced a meek smile. “It’s alright. I just thought you should know.”

Yuki lowered her head, her eyes searching Mayu’s. “Why?”

“I’ve been thinking the whole night. It’s kind of unfair if I know everything about you yet you know nothing about me, right?”

Yuki pondered for a bit, tapping her chin. “I guess that’s true. You’ve been watching me since I was five, you stalker.”

“What stalker? I’m your guardian, you ingrate.”

Yuki giggled at the childish pout on Mayu’s face, feeling rather lighthearted for once. To be able to share a playful moment with her faithful companion was a nice start to the day.

“And the next thing you are going to say is that you are my guardian angel,” she jested.

Mayu dismissed the notion with a casual wave. “Angels don’t exist.”

Yuki raised an eyebrow. “They don’t?”

Mayu shook her head. “Only portal guards do.” Detecting the confused tilt of Yuki’s head, she explained, “Someone has to guide all those lost souls in the right direction to the reincarnation portal. If not, there’d be an overpopulation of spirits.”

“Then why are you still here?”

Once the words left her mouth, Yuki mentally cursed herself for uttering something so insensitive again.

“Because I’m not eligible for reincarnation,” Mayu’s voice turned solemn. “It is only for people who died of natural causes or in accidents, not for people who were murdered.”

“Eh? You were murdered… and on your birthday?!”

Eyes cast to the side, Mayu continued, “I’m doomed to roam the earth forever.”

“So I only have limited time left with you since my heart can stop beating anytime. I’ll be reincarnated if I die of heart failure, right?”

As Mayu nodded stiffly, Yuki noticed the trepidation behind those glassy black orbs that she was trying so hard to hide. Throwing on a large fake grin, she slapped Mayu’s shoulder hardly. “We’ll talk about this again. I’ve got to wash up and get ready for work.”

After taking a quick cold shower and a breakfast of stale white bread, Yuki locked her room, careful not to let any of her housemates walk into what she was about to do next. She plopped down before her desk and retrieved the syringe and powder.

“It’s running out…” she mumbled to herself, frowning. “I’ll need to hurry up with the deliveries before Shinoda will give me my next supply.”

As she prepared to shoot up with the last remaining bit of powder, Mayu grabbed the hand that was about to inject the vile solution. Yuki scowled, not liking to be disturbed during her fix.

“Yuki, I’ve thought of my birthday wish.”

Those unexpected words softened Yuki’s glare. “What is it?”

“I want you to break your addiction.”

Breaking their eye contact, Yuki shook off Mayu’s grasp and jabbed the needle into the most prominent vein on her arm. She watched intently as the hazy solution disappeared into her bloodstream.

“Impossible. You know that.”

“Please Yuki, all these drugs are killing you.”

Yuki sighed. “We’ve been through this many times before, Mayu. I will die sooner or later because of my heart defect. Kicking the addiction won’t help me live any longer.”

“But they may make you die earlier than you should.”

“Seriously, I don’t care. At least they ease the pain and make life more bearable. Do you know how horrible is it to feel like someone is squeezing your heart every day? It hurts – a lot – till I can’t breathe.”

“But-”

“No buts. I can do anything for you. Just not this,” Yuki cut Mayu off before she could try to persuade her. “Case closed, Mayu.”

With an indignant huff, Yuki kept the tools in the drawer, locking it with a key that she always wore around her neck with a black cord.

“If you can’t stand seeing me this way, you can always stop following me.”

Those were Yuki’s last words before she opened the door and left.

She didn’t even spare Mayu a glance.

---

I must have hurt her deeply with my words. Stupid me. Stupid, stupid!

Yuki slapped her head with both hands repeatedly, drawing curious stares from passers-by. It had been more than twelve hours since she left Mayu alone in her room. Normally, the spirit would show up when Yuki was doing her deliveries at night but today, her presence was sorely missing.

What if she really leaves me for good? I don’t want that. I don’t want to be alone again.

And I don’t want her to be alone too.

Yuki recalled the fear in Mayu’s eyes that morning when they were on the topic of reincarnation. She has done so much for me after my parents died. If it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t even be half the person I am now – not like I am anyone great though. She chuckled softly in an act of self-mockery. What have I achieved after twenty-one years in this world? I’m just a good-for-nothing druggie. But Mayu… she makes me feel that there is someone who appreciates a hopeless bum like me. She has been alone for so long before we met. This could very well be the last chance I have to celebrate her birthday with her, so maybe I should fulfill her wish, or at least try to.

Patting her cheeks, Yuki made up her mind. She checked her watch. 11.18PM. She had one final delivery before she could call it a night and meet up with her supplier. Opening the heat retaining pack that sat on the back of her bicycle, she peeked into the pizza box, making sure that the packet of white powder was hidden among the little bags of powdered parmesan cheese and chili.

Once I’m done, I’ll go back and apologise to Mayu.

Hopping onto the bicycle, she pedaled quickly to her next destination, ignoring the fatigue that was setting in.

Fifteen minutes later, she arrived at the apartment of one of Shinoda’s regular clients. She rapped twice on the splintered surface of the door and waited, tapping her feet rather impatiently. Shuffling sounded from the other side of the door before it was swung open by a heavily tattooed man in his mid-thirties. The rotund paunch that spilled over his belt stretched uncomfortably against his grease-stained white singlet.

“You are early today, girl,” he remarked, leering at the slightly panting Yuki with beady black eyes.

“Here’s your pizza,” said Yuki matter-of-factly, careful not to appear too friendly. She held back a cringe when his sour breath invaded her nostrils. The stench was a mix of tobacco and rotting week-old food scraps. As he took the flat cardboard box from her, his sticky hands brushed hers, lingering longer than necessary.

“Won’t you join me for a beer?”

“You know Shinoda will stop dealing with you if you lay a hand on me. Don’t push your luck. Now, pay up,” Yuki answered coolly. At the back of her mind, she missed Mayu’s sweet jasmine scent and soft hands.

“Tch, spoilsport,” the man grumbled and stuffed a wad of crumpled notes in her palm begrudgingly.

Yuki counted the cash. After making sure that not a single yen was missing, she pulled down the bill of her cap, shielding her eyes from his hungry gaze. “Enjoy your pizza.”

---

“Kashiwagi, you are early today,” a smooth feminine voice spoke in the dim alley. Shadows overlapped and fell about the two figures conversing in the narrow lane.

Yuki crinkled her nose. “That’s what the slimy Ogawa said too.” She dug into her waist pouch and handed a thick stack of notes to the other woman. From the sliver of light that spilled into the alley from the main street, it was noted that the mysterious lady wore a sleek short hairdo and was a few centimeters taller than Yuki.

“He wasn’t wrong.” Well-manicured fingers flipped through the money casually before slipping them into a black leather handbag. From the same bag, the woman produced a packet of white powder that was about the size of her palm.

“Sorry, Shinoda-san,” Yuki began apologetically. “I would like just the painkillers this time.”

“Oh?” Surprise was evident in Shinoda’s voice. “If my calculation isn’t wrong, you should be running out of it now.”

“I am,” admitted Yuki, “but I want to try being less dependent on it.”

“Are you going to betray me?” Shinoda’s voice dropped to a sinister level.

Yuki’s eyes widened at the accusation and her hands shot out in defense. “No, no. Of course not!” She had heard rumours of what Shinoda was capable of when it came to traitors and she certainly didn’t want to be on her bad side.

“Then why?”

“I… want to… It is… I… ah…”

Unexpectedly, Shinoda threw her head back and let out a hearty laughter. “Look at you! Stammering like a school girl!”

“Mou, don’t laugh at me!”

“So who is it? Is he handsome?” Even in the shadows, Yuki could make out the curve of gleaming white teeth between glossy lips.

“She’s someone important to me…”

“She? I didn’t know you swing that way, Kashiwagi!”

Yuki’s face burned a deep shade of beetroot at the teasing chortles. “N-No! She’s a friend... a very precious one.”

Suddenly, Shinoda wrapped a lean arm around her shoulders and jerked her close.

“S-Shinoda-san?” Yuki peered cautiously at the smirking face.

“It’s alright. I won’t judge,” Shinoda said in a husky whisper before blowing into the tense woman’s ear, causing a shiver to shoot down her spine. Yelping, Yuki leapt away.

“W-Wha-What are you doing?”

Rolling her eyes, her supplier smacked her cap until it covered her eyes completely. “You are such a reaction queen.”

Yuki struggled from the sudden loss of sight and fumbled like a blind bat with her cap. When she yanked it off, she saw three bottles of painkillers before her.

“Be careful not to overdose on them just because they have less of an effect than heroin.” The smile was gone from Shinoda’s face as she jammed the bottles into Yuki’s pouch. “I don’t want my most hardworking delivery girl to die.”

A grateful smile spread across Yuki’s face as she nodded like an obedient puppy. “Thank you, Shinoda-san!”

As she cycled back to her apartment, she wondered why her legs felt like lead and every push of the pedal required a bit more effort than usual.

---

“Mayu!” Yuki called out in a hushed whisper the moment she closed her room’s door. “Mayu, I’m home. Are you here?” With anxious steps, she hurried towards her bed which the spirit liked to laze on. She couldn’t wait to break the good news to Mayu. “Mayu, I have something to tell you. You’d want to hear this so come on ou-”

Two loud thuds sounded in lightning-quick succession.

“Ugh!” Pain exploded in her knees as they buckled and slammed to the floor. If her hands hadn’t shot out in time, she would have kissed the cracked concrete. She tried standing up but her legs refused to cooperate and were wobbly like jelly. Grinding her elbows against the ground, she managed to drag herself to the foot of her bed, grasping weakly onto the bed post. The little distance rendered her breathless. Her chest felt ready to burst at the seams while the veins along her neck were screaming to break out with each shallow gasp she took.

“W-What’s… w- wrong?”

She shook her head only to feel dizzier than before. “Can’t… focus...” Placing a trembling hand on her chest, she sensed the faint and painfully slow beating underneath her ribs. Hot tears stung the back of her eyes as her eyelids drooped heavily. No… I can’t go to sleep now. I still need to find her… Where are… you…

“Mayu… yu…”

And she fell forward like a rag doll.

---

There was nary a soul on the streets at 3AM aside from the random vagrant. With a hard kick, Mayu sent a discarded metal can across the road, spraying beer over the deserted tarmac. The homeless man sprawled on the sidewalk jolted up in shock and gaped wide-eyed at the can that had just shot past him. It rebounded off the shop window with a loud clank, leaving a nasty scratch on the pristine glass surface.

Normally, Mayu would have felt bad for accidentally damaging others’ property but tonight, it was the last thing on her mind. Nothing that a little polishing wouldn’t fix, she noted grimly. She couldn’t even muster the funny bone in her to mock the man whose face was looking a little green. I wonder why humans are so scared of me. I used to be alive like them too.

She recalled her numerous failed attempts at making friends with the living after her death. No one wanted me. Everyone was scared… everyone but her.

Yuki… rin.

It was a secret only to the spirit that she liked to call the young lady by her nickname whenever she thought about her.

She probably hates me for pestering her about quitting. I guess I should just leave her alone for now.

Mayu gazed forlornly at the empty road as she wandered off the curb. A bright flash of illegally modified car headlights blinded her vision and a red Lamborghini raced out of nowhere with a deafening rumble, zooming past her. The side mirror cut through her right arm at breakneck speed. Glancing down, she gritted her teeth at the still intact limb.

I can’t even feel pain.

She fought the hateful lump in her throat and glided further and further away from the street that Yuki stayed on.

---

Yuki awoke to an incessant ringing of the apartment’s only land line. Her head was as heavy as a ton of bricks and instead of lifting it up, she nudged it along the floor.

“Stop it… Can’t… someone answer the damned phone?” she choked out with the immense effort. Rolling onto her back, she turned her stiff neck to check the time on her watch. Her eyes shot open when she saw the hour hand pointing at eleven.

I’m so dead! That must be my boss calling me!

With renewed vigor, she forced herself up and stumbled towards the door, not caring about the pain exploding through every organ in her body. A wet transparent trickle streamed down her nose and her hand trembled fiercely as she grabbed the door knob. The old and rusty handle rattled nosily from her futile attempts to turn it.

Come on, open! I can’t lose my job!

After a click that sounded like heaven to her ears, she crashed through the door. Her legs gave way in her haste, throwing her to the floor mercilessly. Scrambling to her feet, she half-ran to the phone on the coffee table next to the couch. A smile broke through the frustration on her face when she laid her hand on the receiver.

The ringing stopped.

Hoping against hope, she smashed the black receiver against her ear. “H-Hello, Yuki here!”

Her voice was met with a lifeless disconnect tone. Not giving up, she began jamming her finger on the number pad but three digits in, she froze.

What’s the next digit?

She stared dumbly at the buttons.

“Why can’t I remember?”

The number of the pizza store that she always had at her fingertips evaded her abruptly blank mind.

“Eight? No, six? Or is it five?” She sniffed hardly. She wasn’t sure if her watery eyes and runny nose were a result of her fear of losing her job or heroin withdrawal. All she knew was that the sharp ache in her head and chest was returning ten-fold after the earlier adrenaline rush had died down. Her hairs were standing on their ends and she sank to the cold floor, feeling as though a thousand needles were pricking her skin. She cupped her mouth when a wave of nausea struck her. With a harsh cough, she spewed a glop of acidic fluid that left a burning trail in her throat and made a sticky mess of her hand. The putrid taste swirled in her mouth, prompting her to spit out any remaining liquid. The yearning for the cursed powder was strong.

Remembering the painkillers in her waist pouch, she dug them out but the violent shaking of her hands caused her to spill everything onto the floor. She swiped at the nearest pills desperately and gobbled up whatever she could seize. Just as she was about to toss the third handful into her mouth, Shinoda’s words flashed in her mind.

“Be careful not to overdose on them just because they have less of an effect than heroin.”

“Screw that.” She slammed her palm against her open mouth, feeling the little round pills fill up her oral cavity. The pain was too great and she wanted it gone as soon as possible.

Then she thought of Mayu.

Tears leaked from her bloodshot eyes as she recalled what she wanted to do for the spirit. Releasing an embittered growl, she spat out everything.

I can do this. Mayu’s wish.

At the rate her body was burning one second and freezing the next, she wondered if that was how hell felt like. Curling into a fetal position, she wrapped her arms around herself and prayed for the pain to subside.

---

It had been six days since Mayu left. Yuki sat up in her bed as the morning sun beamed down on her. Stretching her arms, she peeked out her room’s window at the cloudless blue sky and inhaled deeply. As she passed by the desk, she allowed a proud smile to grace her features when she sighted the unopened bottle of painkillers.

Today’s the day. Mayuyu, where are you? I want to show you what I’ve achieved.

On her way out, she bumped into her housemate who was about to leave for work.

“You shouldn’t be going out in your condition,” Oshima Yuko said, surprised that Yuki was up and about.

Yuki shook her head. “I’ll be fine. Anyway, thanks for your help.”

Though still unconvinced, Yuko gave a wry grin. “I couldn’t have someone dying in my pad, right?”

“If I die, I’d make sure I die outside so that I don’t affect the value of this apartment,” Yuki returned her own lopsided smile.

“Don’t say that. I’m still human. I wouldn’t want the street rats to feed on your corpse too.”

Wrinkling her nose at the morbid image, Yuki changed the subject. “I’ve got to go now. See you at night.”

“Did you bring your medicine?” Yuko’s concerned voice stopped her. “In case your illness acts up while you are out.”

“Yup.”

Right before she stepped through the door, Yuki discreetly grabbed a pocket knife that she had left on the shoe rack and stuffed it into her jean’s pocket.

I’m sorry, Oshima-san. I lied. My illness can’t be controlled by any medicine.

As she went down the building’s stairs, taking two steps at a time, she wondered if Yuko would have still helped her if she knew the real reason behind the shivers and vomiting. Drug addicts were considered the scum of society and fearing that her housemate would discriminate against her, she lied that she was simply feeling unwell because of a disease when Yuko found her squirming on the living room floor on the first night she had decided to go cold turkey.

The only person she was sure wouldn’t look down on her was Mayu.

When Yuki passed by her workplace, she made it a point to go in to apologise personally to her boss for her absence. She was lucky that Yuko had helped her make a trip down to explain things to her boss, thus keeping her job.

“Yes, I’ll be back to work tomorrow. Sorry for causing so much trouble.” Yuki finished her visit with a deep bow before leaving the shop. Now that that was out of the way, she needed to find Mayu.

As she prowled from street to street, she felt her energy seeping away. That was what had been happening for the past week. It didn’t take much to make her feel lethargic all over. Checking her watch, she bit her inner cheek. It was only slightly after ten and she was already sleepy. She stared up at the clear sky, wondering why heaven didn’t exist.

Let me see your smile again before I die.

---

Mayu sat on the ledge of an overhead bridge that overlooked a busy road. Swinging her legs back and forth, she thought about a certain raven-haired woman.

Did she get into trouble when making deliveries for Shinoda? Did her addiction get worse? Is she in pain? Is she sleeping well? Is she still angry with me?

Images of Yuki struggling with the effects of her illness flooded her mind and suddenly, Mayu regretted her decision to leave.

What if her heart is failing as I sit here? I should have just stuck around her while staying invisible. At least, I would be able to know how she is. Damn it!

A growing fear gripped the spirit and she deftly kicked herself off the ledge, disappearing into the sea of vehicles below. Her first stop – Flash Pizza. She strode into the tiny pizza place and searched every nook and cranny but Yuki was nowhere in sight. Just as she was about to leave…

“Yo, Boss!” a tall and boyish-looking woman entered the shop and called out to a stout man poring over the morning papers at the counter. The man with a thick moustache looked up at the source of the chirpy voice.

“You’re back, Miyazawa. Within the time limit as usual,” the boss flashed a thumbs up at the short-haired woman who had just removed her helmet and was wiping the sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand.

“Of course! I bring the flash to Flash Pizza,” Miyazawa Sae winked, thumping her chest smugly. “Anyway, I heard from Jun that Yuki popped by a while ago. How is she?”

The boss sighed. “She looked pale and sounded breathless when she was talking to me and almost fell on her way out. She said she’d be back tomorrow but I wonder about that. Her performance hasn’t been up to standard lately too…”

“You can’t be thinking of sacking her!” Sae interrupted, slamming her hands on the countertop.

“I didn’t say that but…”

At that point, Mayu decided that she had heard enough. Yuki had been missing work and sounded unwell. The drugs made her high and light-headed but not breathless.

Her condition is getting worse.

Panic filled her heart and she tore out into the streets. She had a very bad feeling and it scared her because her instincts were always right. Speeding back to Yuki’s apartment, she was dismayed to find it empty. Everything was still and quiet. However, despite the lack of cozy furnishings, she realised how much it felt like home; all because Yuki lived there. She took the familiar oversized T-shirt draped over the chair and brought it close to her face, inhlaing Yuki’s unique scent. Then something caught her eye. She peered at the tiny scrawl next to 26 March on the desk calendar.

Mayuyu’s birthday! ♥ I did it!

Raising an eyebrow, Mayu chuckled. Mayuyu? Is that her nickname for me?

Out of curiosity, her hand passed through the locked drawer to feel its contents. The syringe was still there but it was dry, as if it hadn’t been used for days and there were no traces of the powder that caused their last argument. Mayu frowned.

Don’t tell me she…

As she connected the words on the calendar to the missing heroin, a soundless sob escaped her throat.

If only she could stab her heartless self.

Blinking away the tears, she set Yuki’s shirt down. It wasn’t too late. She could still feel Yuki’s presence somewhere in the town.

Wait for me, Yukirin! I’m coming to find you.

---

The noon sun was blazing down on the pedestrians who were dumb enough to leave their air-conditioned offices for lunch. Yuki flapped her black cotton shirt that kept sticking to her sweat-drenched body. She was breaking out in cold sweat despite the heat and she had already lost count of the number of times she had stopped to catch her breath.

My time’s almost up, huh?

She wondered if she would end up like what Yuko said and become food for the street rats.

I don’t want it to end like this. I still want to see Mayu for one last time. No, that’s wrong. I want to continue living with her by my side. I don’t want her to think that I’m still angry with her. Why did I have to break her heart?  Why was I so stubborn?

She could feel it. Her life was slipping through her fingers like the sands of time. Her body could no longer keep up with her desire to keep moving.

I’m sorry, Boss. I don’t think I can go to work tomorrow.

She sank to her knees, feeling the hot concrete through her faded jeans.

I’m sorry, Shinoda-san. I can’t help you with your deliveries anymore.

Through her hazy vision, she saw a stranger running towards her.

I’m sorry, Oshima-san. I’ll need to trouble you to clear my belongings.

She gripped the pocket knife in her pocket.

“Miss, miss! Are you alright?”

I’m sorry, whoever you are. I’m going to be selfish.

“H-Hey! What are you-”

The wildest screams which had ever been heard in that part of Tokyo broke out.

---

Mayu froze in her tracks.

Yuki’s presence…. is gone.

Terrified shrieks erupted in the adjacent street and a gnawing feeling in the pit of her stomach urged her to check out what was happening. Turning the corner, all she saw was a very familiar figure lying face-down on the concrete sidewalk. She cursed at the people who were crowding around the lifeless body and obstructing her view.

Her spirit must still be around nearby! She just died. The portal guards couldn’t have got to her so fast!

“YUKIRIN!” she cried, her voice strained with desperation. “I’m here! Don’t leave me! I’m here! I’m here!”

Her pleas were drowned out by frenzied murmurs and screams of terror as passers-by swarmed towards the scene. None of the faces belonged to the one she longed for. The usually composed spirit was reduced to a blubbering mess as she slumped to the ground. The portal guards in the area were known to be very efficient and would whisk away the freshly departed to the reincarnation portal within minutes.

I’m too late. She’s gone. She’s really gone…

“Yuki… Yuki… Yuki…”

Why didn’t you wait for me?

Soon, the police and ambulance staff arrived at the scene and took Yuki’s body away but Mayu was too numb to pay attention to her surroundings. She had lost the person dearest to her; that was all she cared about. Hours later – long after the sun had set, she was still sitting on the sidewalk with her tear-streaked face buried in her knees.

“They didn’t do a very clean job.”

Mayu sniffed. I must be missing her so much that I’m hallucinating her voice.

“Mayu.”

“Shut up, mind. It’s not funny.”

“I’m not your mind, idiot.”

The voice sounded too real to be her imagination. And since when did my mind talk back to me?

Mayu raised her head hesitantly and gasped. The person she had been grieving over was now standing in front of her with a smirk on her bloodless face.

“It’s a minute to midnight so I’m still in time. Happy birthday, Mayu.”

“H-How…”

Yuki scratched her cheek. “I’m not too sure too. I took a gamble back there.”

“What do you mean?” Mayu asked, still not quite believing her eyes. In response, Yuki grabbed her hand and pulled her up, guiding her towards the spot where she breathed her last breath. As they walked, Mayu noticed that Yuki’s hand was as cold as hers.

“Look at this,” Yuki pointed at a spot of dark dried up blood on the pavement. “That’s my blood.”

“Blood? Why was there blood if you died of heart failure?”

“Didn’t you see it when the paramedics moved my body?”

“I… I was too distraught to look at what they were doing,” admitted Mayu. Yuki smiled at the sheepish-looking girl and squeezed her hand lightly. “A-Anyway, you haven’t answered my question,” Mayu blurted.

A guilty look crept onto Yuki’s features. “I made a man stab my heart before it stopped beating on its own. I wasn’t sure if it would be considered murder but I had to try.” She lifted her shirt, showing a deep hole in her chest. A small hand reached forward and felt the wound gingerly. Mayu scowled when she caught a glimpse of the punctured heart deep within Yuki.

“You’ve become just like me. Only wandering spirits bear the wound that killed them.”

That said, Mayu tugged down the high collar that always covered her throat, revealing a gaping slash across porcelain skin. Yuki's stomach lurched. In the years they had known each other, she had never known the cause of Mayu’s death.

“Why did you do it, Yuki? You could’ve had another chance at life by reincarnating. Maybe your next life would be a happy one. Why did you give that up? It’s awful to watch the people around you grow old while you stay the sa- Oof!”

Mayu nearly bit her tongue when she was abruptly squashed against Yuki’s chest as the taller woman drew her into a tight embrace.

“This is why.”

Yuki lowered her head and pressed her lips against Mayu’s forehead with the gentlest touch she had ever offered someone. An overwhelming amount of adoration surged through her when she felt the shorter girl relax in her arms.

“I want to spend forever with you.”

It was a declaration that Mayu had never expected to hear from anyone. Her wide eyes searched Yuki’s for a sign of a cruel joke but the other woman’s intense gaze was hard as steel.

“I realised how important you were to me when you left.”

“Yuki…rin.”

Yuki’s mouth quivered at the nostalgic nickname. The only people who had ever called her so intimately were her parents and now, Mayu. Bringing a slim hand up, she caressed Mayu’s supple cheek as she admired the flawless doll-like visage before her.

“Let us not be alone anymore, Mayuyu.”

A glistening drop wobbled at the edge of Mayu’s eye before sliding down her face. She smacked Yuki’s arm. “Why did you take such a long time to find me then?”

“I got lost.”

“Huh?” Mayu stared at Yuki incredulously.

“Hey, can’t blame me for being disoriented! It’s my first time being a spirit.”

“Lousy,” Mayu rolled her eyes, prompting Yuki to pout at being shot down so mercilessly. She bit back a snicker at her new spirit partner’s crestfallen puppy eyes. She missed this face so much - this lovely face that she had been watching since sixteen years ago. Now, it exuded an air of freedom that had eluded its owner for so long. Tipping her toes, Mayu planted a chaste kiss on Yuki’s cheek.

“You have the whole of forever to learn the tricks of being a spirit from me, silly.”

Feeling the arms circling her waist tighten, warmth bloomed in Mayu’s chest for the first time in decades.

Thank you, Yukirin. I couldn’t have asked for a better present.

---

The End.

Thank you very much for reading! As always, reviews are greatly appreciated :deco:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:56:19 PM by seigus »

Offline DC2805

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Think with your wisdom, Love with your heart.
Was quite surprised to see a Mayu's birthday FF which seems to be too much overdue hehe...but then, good story is never too late to be shared, right? :heart: Thanks for the post!  :)
Visit my FFs:
We Love the Hospital! OS (Mayuki + Wmatsui) + Omake
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36072.0

The Foreigner Husband and The Traditional Wife (Wmatsui)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36090.0

[Short OS] "Puppy" Love (Pairings: JR + YH)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36408.0

My Little Brother Can't Be This Cute!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36678.0

Derailed - OS featuring Aya x Nao
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=37305.0

Offline Shinoki

• REVOLUTION
  • Member+
  • MONA
.....wow.... so good.........
(note that I only read the mayu b-day fanfic)
it's really long compared to the one shots that I write, you rock!
together forever, Mayuki~
interesting to see that Mayuyu is technically older than Yuki

Offline cisda83

• ecchi
  • Member+
seigus-san

Just come across your OS...

I have just been reading them....

I enjoyed reading all of them...

They are all very interesting stories

Thank you

Can't wait to see more

:twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rin Toshite Shigure - Turbocharger On