JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hotei Tomoyasu - Chase!!!

Author Topic: [WMATSUI] A Journey to Her Memory - Chapter 11 (30/8/2018) [COMPLETED]  (Read 17194 times)

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
Hi, this is my very first WMatsui fic. It was supposed to be only one single page (I had difficulties to write down what I had in mind on paper), but then a nice senpai motivated me to continue writing and even offered to proofread my fic. So here it is!

WMatsui is my ultimate pairing. I realised WMatsui shippers have been torn between staying on the ship or leaving it to find a new one, especially after Rena’s graduation. I wrote this fic with you-who-stay in mind.

PROLOGUE

It takes courage to confess to people you love, but it takes a greater amount of bravery to befriend someone who rejected you and stay by her side no matter what.

Matsui Jurina knew it very well when she just got rejected, and still asked the girl sitting next to her to continue their daily routine as if nothing happened.

“I understand.” That was the first thing Jurina said after hearing such painful truth coming from the girl she adored so much. Somehow, Jurina knew that would happen; she even kind of expected it.  The girl told her about her past. When she confessed to the girl, she knew she only had 20% of chance. Now, it was over. Not that she regretted her choice to confess. She simply had to. She had to make it clear that she had feelings for her. Their time together was limited.

Jurina could feel the worry she was causing the other girl. When she didn’t say anything between her constant sobbing, Jurina knew she had to do something to lighten up the mood a bit. The café they had settled in for dinner was cosy and warm. The lounge music playing in the background was soothing and relaxing. But Jurina could hardly enjoy it, even less the girl who was now looking terribly guilty and sad. It was hard to tell who just got her heart broken. The situation was just too heavy for both of them.

As if she didn’t understand the implication of such rejection, Jurina told her almost casually. “Alright then. It’s already late. I will drive you home. I will pick you up tomorrow as usual.”

“Don’t you need time?” after a long pause the girl finally answered.

“Time for what?” Jurina now looked at the girl innocently. The girl couldn’t read her expression at all. It was Jurina who should be crying right now, not herself.

“I mean..,” the girl was hesitant. I have just rejected you and you still want us to be as close as before? She almost blurted out, until opting for a better choice of words, “...I think it’s best if we don't see each other for a wh-“

“Rena...” Jurina cut her off, chuckling a little, “We work at the same place. We will meet five times a week, eight hours a day. It’s impossible for us not to meet.”

When the girl didn’t seem convinced, Jurina added, “Let’s just forget what happened tonight, okay? Can we go back to the way we were before we entered this café?”

Impossible.
Jurina could practically hear her brain saying. It was just wishful thinking. So when she got the short reply, “Okay,” she believed tonight was not that bad after all. They could just start over.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:17:17 PM by Bukiyou Taiyou »

Offline LuckyMatsui

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Crazy. Weird. WMATSUI.
Re: [WMATSUI] A Journey to Her Memory - Prologue
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
This ff satisfied my masochist WMatsui heart. I'm really happy to read a new fanfic of my ultimate favorite pairing. Waiting for the next chapter Author-san. :thumbup
Matsui Rena + Matsui Jurina =

Offline Minami-chan

• Member+
  • Still Love You
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:59:55 AM »
Good Start of the story!

Offline firebird123

• Jumarit803
  • Member+
  • Jumarit803
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:57 AM »
I really like this it looks really promising and I feel the same about Wmastui, its kind painful to think about them, but I can´t help but enjoy it  :nervous.
Looking forward to the first chapter  :twothumbs

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
Re: [WMATSUI] A Journey to Her Memory - Chapter 1 (29/3/2018)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
I really like this it looks really promising and I feel the same about Wmastui, its kind painful to think about them, but I can´t help but enjoy it  :nervous.
Looking forward to the first chapter  :twothumbs

Good Start of the story!

This ff satisfied my masochist WMatsui heart. I'm really happy to read a new fanfic of my ultimate favorite pairing. Waiting for the next chapter Author-san. :thumbup

Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate it. :k-wink:

Here's the first chapter. I need to acknowledge Sophcaro for her help in proofreading this fic and giving me insights for its development. She helped me a lot during the writing process and I thank her for that.

CHAPTER 1

Matsui Rena hated confrontation. She wanted to make peace with everything, and everyone. When Jurina – the girl that shared her surname – confessed to her, she was not really surprised. It only confirmed Jurina’s recent behaviour towards her.

But she should have known I can’t accept her feelings. Rena sighed. Jurina knew her story.

Rena remembered the first time she saw Jurina. It was almost a year ago, at a meeting during which she became project chief for the very first time. These past five years, Rena worked in a start-up real estate company that provided affordable yet multi-functional smart housing for people who lived in the suburban of Nagoya. Her company needed an architect whose ideas could fit the requirements. Rena was shocked to find out that the new architect who would join her latest project – the one she was appointed as chief  – was a young girl; a fresh graduate from Tokyo University.

Despite the famous institution Jurina graduated from and the fact that she was chosen by the Management Board, Rena believed 21 years old was still too young to handle such a big project. She would be spending a lot of time with her, and she wasn’t sure their six years age gap wouldn't be a problem for both of them.

Never had Rena been so wrong.

That new architect was brilliant. It didn’t take a lot of time for Rena to fully understand why she was chosen among other more experienced candidates. Jurina was considered new in the field; her ideas were original and innovative. However, that was not why Rena got along well this young fellow; Rena was more of a conservative when it came to her work. No, it was Jurina’s personality that she enjoyed the most.

Jurina was never pushy about her ideas. She knew how to approach people. Rena had met young people who thought they knew it all; Jurina was different. And it was not because Jurina was only a part-timer for that one project. It was her nature. Rena always believed her company was unlike typical Japanese companies which upheld seniority. As lead project, Rena made sure everyone’s opinion in the team was being heard. Albeit the fact she was the youngest one in the team, Jurina was mature enough to deal with other older members.

A small pang filled Rena’s chest when she remembered how calmly Jurina accepted her rejection last night. The younger girl was always composed but her reaction was unbelievable, even for Rena’s taste. Jurina had driven her home and if she followed the usual pattern, she would be picking her up at any moment.

Rena checked her phone, expecting to receive a certain text. Jurina should already have arrived 10 minutes ago. 

Should I text her? Rena thought. Maybe it’s better if I call her.

She was about to press a particular name on her phone when something crossed her mind.

What if Jurina decided not to pick me up today? What if she regretted what she said yesterday about continuing our weekdays ritual as if nothing happened?

Rena refrained herself from calling her.

But she would have had at least warned me beforehand.

Now, she was worried. Jurina always let her know when she was late. This morning, she woke up feeling terribly bad about last night. Jurina may have had feeling even worse.

DING!

One online notification appeared on her phone screen.

[Matsui Jurina: I’m here. I’m sorry I’m late.]

Rena had never been so happy to receive a text. At least, she knew that Jurina was okay.

She replied.

[Matsui Rena: I’ll be out in no time.]

Rena went out walking through a small garden to find a familiar white Honda Jazz parked in front of her apartment building. Jurina smiled. Rena returned the smile, hoping it was not awkward.

Jurina absolutely didn’t look okay. She had panda eyes; she looked sleepy and very tired. But somehow, Rena could feel she became a bit more cheerful when she sat next to her.

“You woke up late?”

“Yeah...,” Jurina yawned, “I couldn’t sleep last night.”

Rena shot her a concerned look.

“I watched movies,” Jurina explained nonchalantly.

“Oh,” Rena murmured, suddenly remembering something. However, she chose not to mention it. “Are you sure you can drive?”

“Sure. I already drove all the way from my place,” The younger girl grinned and started the car, “Please put some music on. I need to listen to something groovy.”

AAA’s Wake Up filled the air. Jurina was humming, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. From her peripheral vision Jurina knew Rena was looking out the window; she seemed lost in her own thoughts. She probably wasn’t even listening to the music she had just chosen.

Jurina smiled a little. Rena chose a perfect song for her. Rena just knew her too well without her even knowing it.

She felt way better than when she woke up this morning. However, she wasn’t sure if it was because of the good music, or the presence of the girl who broke her heart last night.

Jurina didn’t shed a single tear in front of her but after Rena entered her apartment last night, her tears sprung to her eyes before she realised it. She stayed in her car for a while, crying.

Jurina didn’t want to go home immediately, dreading the silence of her apartment. When she left Tokyo for Nagoya, it was because of the project. Tokyo was not only the place she favoured the best, it was her real home. Her family and friends were all there. It had already been 10 months since she started her work in Nagoya, and she was now used to living alone in her apartment. However, tonight she felt terribly lonely.

She drove without any specific destination in mind. She just kept driving on the highway, hoping the fresh air of the night and the loud music would ease her pain a little. It was almost 3 am when she headed back to her apartment.

She was exhausted and terribly sleepy, but her heart was no longer heavy; especially when she turned on her phone she had switched off earlier on to discover a new message.

[Matsui Rena: I hope you’re sleeping well, Jurina.]

Jurina looked at the time of the message: it was sent an hour ago. Apparently, the other Matsui wasn’t the only one who had trouble sleeping.

“Do you want to stop by at The Yamada’s?” Rena’s question brought back Jurina to the present moment. The thought about last night suddenly disappeared.

“Uh…I don’t think so. We’ll be late,” Jurina looked at her watch.

“No, we won’t,” Rena convinced her, “Besides, you badly need coffee this morning.”

Jurina knew Rena was right. A few minutes later, she pulled over at The Yamada’s.

“As usual?” Rena asked.

“I need something stronger. Espresso will do the trick. Wait...” Jurina said before Rena left, “Should I come in with you?”

“No, Jurina. Wait here. I’ll be back soon,” Rena closed the door and went inside The Yamada’s.

The Yamada’s was not as busy as usual. There were only few people at the coffee stall, sitting at their table, sipping their coffee. Rena went straight to the counter.

“Good morning, Rena-chan! Caffé latte for two as usual?” An old man with a friendly face behind the counter asked.

“Good morning, Yamada-san. Jurina wants to have espresso today. I want caffé latte,” Rena sat on the high chair in front of the counter; waiting for her order.

“Tell her she should come in sometimes. I miss her puns,” the old man said while preparing two cups of coffee.

Rena smiled, remembering Jurina’s puns that – however bad they were – never failed to make Yamada laugh. It was Jurina who introduced this place to Rena when they started to go to work together. Rena couldn’t drive; she used to go to work mainly by subway, or on a few rare occasions by taxi. Knowing that, Jurina asked her whether she wanted her to drive her to work. After all, their apartment buildings were not that far from each other. Rena was hesitant at first, but Jurina’s persistent effort to persuade her was finally rewarded. Eventually, she agreed and that was how they went to work together. There were very few times when they didn’t go together, as when one of them had a business trip outside of town. But for the major part of these last nine months, Jurina would pick her up in the morning and drive her home after work.

Rena remembered the first time Jurina brought her to The Yamada’s. Jurina said the coffee there was the best in town. Rena was not a fan of coffee but after they stopped by at The Yamada’s at least three times a week, she was tempted to try Jurina’s latte. Rena should agree that the coffee was indeed nice. It was not too strong but it kept her fresh. She then started to order the same latte as Jurina, only with less foam.

“Here they are. Espresso for Jurina-chan and caffé latte for you,” Yamada gave Rena two cups of coffee.

After paying for the coffee, Rena said thank you and went back to Jurina. Jurina’s head was on the steering wheel, sleeping. Rena knocked on the window car, which woke up Jurina at once.

“I’m sorry I felt asleep,” Jurina yawned.

Rena gave her the espresso. “Have this before we go. You need coffee,” she said.

Jurina sipped the coffee then put it on the dashboard, “I feel much better now.”

The car started moving.

“Yamada-san says hi. He said he missed your puns.”

“I told you I should have come with you.”

“No. The last time you did, you spent almost half an hour to chat with him. I can say you’re his favourite customer.”

“It’s because I’m loyal. I’m also witty and funny,” Jurina grinned, looking proud of herself.

Rena shot her a fake annoyed look.

“I guess the coffee already did the trick,” Rena said before continuing, “you’re always a bit too cheerful after having a cup of coffee.”

“I need it, Rena. Especially today.”

Especially after last night. Jurina wanted to add but she chose not to say it out loud.

Rena could feel Jurina’s melancholy in her tone. She suddenly felt uneasy. She was well aware that she was the reason of her sadness. She knew there was nothing worse than unrequited love. She felt it before. She didn’t want to be the reason of someone’s heartbreak. If only she could return her feelings…

Noticing the change of mood in the car, Jurina wanted to say something funny to make the girl sitting next to her laugh. If there was one thing that Jurina hated the most, it was the gloomy look she caused the other girl. She wished she could come with her infamous puns only to make Rena giggle a little. But she couldn’t, even after she finished the last sip of her coffee. They remained silent for the rest of the trip, lost in their own thoughts.

(to be continued)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:02:15 PM by Bukiyou Taiyou »

Offline Guacamoolee

• Member+
  • Silent reader
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:12 AM »
OH IT'S HEEEEERE!!! :shocked
Yaaaaayyy... finally an official debut!!
Soooo glad to see another WMatsui fanfic writer appears in the middle of the hustle bustle of 46 groups pairings... :cow: :cow: :cow:
Please continue :rockon:

Offline Haruko

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 04:43:19 AM »
Thank you for not let it die our ship! Welcome and nice beginning :D

Offline Minami-chan

• Member+
  • Still Love You
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »
Thank you very much for the continuation.
I hope that Jurina doesn't have difficulties to spend the day.
 If she can't, always can say that she feels sick and go to rest for a while.

Offline four4four

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
This is a really good story so far.
Can't wait to see the updates.

Prologue:
Poor Jurina, she got rejected by Rena. :cry:
At least she still wants to be friends with Rena. :)

Chapter 1:
Ah man, Jurina, don't give up.
I don't know what Rena's reasons are, but I don't want Jurina to give up. :yep:
Jurina clearly still cares for her. :(
Hopefully, nothing bad happens during their day.
Jurina clearly doesn't have enough energy for the day. :(

Offline Rhythm

• Member+
  • Just a silent reader passing by~
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:18:34 AM »
Got rejected at the beginning? The heart of yours is made by steel jurina  :farofflook:

Good fanfic author San! I hope you finish this story. And let wmatsui shipper alive again!!

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
OH IT'S HEEEEERE!!! :shocked
Yaaaaayyy... finally an official debut!!
Soooo glad to see another WMatsui fanfic writer appears in the middle of the hustle bustle of 46 groups pairings... :cow: :cow: :cow:
Please continue :rockon:

Thank you for not let it die our ship! Welcome and nice beginning :D

Got rejected at the beginning? The heart of yours is made by steel jurina  :farofflook:

Good fanfic author San! I hope you finish this story. And let wmatsui shipper alive again!!

Thanks! I will surely continue this fic. Let this ship sail. :glasses:

Thank you very much for the continuation.
I hope that Jurina doesn't have difficulties to spend the day.
 If she can't, always can say that she feels sick and go to rest for a while.

This is a really good story so far.
Can't wait to see the updates.

Prologue:
Poor Jurina, she got rejected by Rena. :cry:
At least she still wants to be friends with Rena. :)

Chapter 1:
Ah man, Jurina, don't give up.
I don't know what Rena's reasons are, but I don't want Jurina to give up. :yep:
Jurina clearly still cares for her. :(
Hopefully, nothing bad happens during their day.
Jurina clearly doesn't have enough energy for the day. :(

Yeah, she just needed to take a rest to heal her broken heart. Poor J.  :fainted:

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
Re: [WMATSUI] A Journey to Her Memory - Chapter 2 (7/4/2018)
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »
CHAPTER 2

It had been weeks since Jurina confessed to Rena. Nothing had really changed after that. They were still following their everyday routine. Things were much better now between them.

Rena woke up this morning because of the loud noise from her phone’s ringtone – Scandal’s Stamp! It was earlier than what she set on her alarm. She frowned to see the caller: her dad. What happened that prompted him to call at such a time?

Apparently, her dad wanted to say happy birthday to her. He lived in Toyohashi, only one hour away from Nagoya. Her dad rarely called her, but one thing was for sure: he always called her on her birthday since she moved to Nagoya. And it was always in the morning. Somehow, it reminded her of her late mother who had started the tradition. Rena almost forgot that today was her birthday. Recently, she was so busy that she didn’t really pay attention to dates.

After her dad called her, Rena checked her messages. She got some texts, mostly from her colleagues at the office. She didn’t really have many friends, so it didn’t surprise her that she only got a few texts. Jurina was the first one to say happy birthday. Rena was almost sure that Jurina waited for 12 am to text her. She was smiling reading all the texts she got, only for her smile to vanish when she realised that a certain person didn’t text her this morning. It was the second time now that she didn’t get any text from that person for her birthday. In fact, it had been two years that she didn’t catch up with her best friend Furukawa Airi. Airi used to be the first one to text her on her birthday. Rena thought that it would have been different if she didn’t make that terrible mistake two years ago. They would be still be fine.

Jurina’s bright smile was the first thing that greeted Rena in the morning.

“Good morning, Rena. Happy birthday!” Jurina handed her a yellow wrapped box.

Rena couldn’t help but smile at the girl standing in front of her, saying thank you.

“Can I open it now?” she said, trying to guess what was inside.

“No, later. Open it tonight when you can’t see me.”

“Why?”

“Rena, just open it tonight, okay? I don’t want to see your reaction.”

“You’re evil,” Rena sighed, “what’s the point of giving it to me now if I have to open it tonight?”

Jurina pretended not hearing what Rena said.

Rena’s day at the office passed by quickly. These past weeks had been busy for her and her team because of approaching deadlines. That was why she was more than happy when her colleagues surprised her for a birthday party after work. She badly needed a break. Rena had four friends at the office who were close to her because they started working together the same year. They were in different divisions, so as time went by, it was difficult to catch up with one another. For Rena’s birthday, they had booked a karaoke place which was also famous for its delicious food. It was their favourite place to hang out, and Rena forgot the last time they spent time together.

Rena was busy tidying her desk when Jurina came to see her.

"Ready to go home now?” Jurina asked. Her bag was on her shoulder.

Rena was so excited about the party that she completely forgot to tell Jurina about it. For a moment, she was torn between inviting Jurina to her party or not. If she was the one who arranged the party, Rena would definitely had invited Jurina. However, it was her friends who organised everything. It would be like a small reunion; Jurina would feel like an outsider. Rena made up her mind.

“Jurina, you can go home first. I... I have something to do later.”

Jurina wanted to ask something, but she kept it to herself.

“Alright.” That was all she said.

For some reason she herself couldn’t understand, Rena chose not to tell Jurina about the party, something that she regretted later when a friend suddenly showed up. Shiraishi Mai - well known as Maiyan - worked in the Finance division, two floors below.

“Rena, are you ready for karaoke? Please sing cheerful songs for tonight. It’s your birthday! You always know how to drop the mood with sad mellow songs. Tonight should be the exception,” Maiyan giggled, “Oh, hi Jurina.”

“Shiraishi-san,” Jurina tilted her head a little for her senior.

“Jurina, you can come with us. We are celebrating Rena’s birthday tonight.”

Rena gave Jurina an expectant look. Jurina didn’t bother to look back at her.

“I would love to, Shiraishi-san. Too bad I already have plans. Alright then, have fun,” Jurina slightly bowed and left.

Rena somehow could feel Jurina’s anger – no, sadness mixed with disappointment– when she said that. She sighed, partly blaming herself for not being completely honest with Jurina.

The party was really nice, but Rena would enjoy it much more if only she didn’t think about Jurina every now and then. When she arrived home, the first thing she remembered was the gift Jurina gave her. She carefully unwrapped the gift. She found a green scarf inside, and a letter.

Dear Rena,

When I was a teenager, my grandmother taught me to knit. I didn’t think it was going to be useful until a few weeks ago. I didn’t know what to give for your birthday, so I decided to knit you a scarf. I know it’s still summer, but you can wear it in autumn and winter. I hope it can warm you up. If I’m not mistaken, green is your favourite colour, right? I think the colour suits you.

I know you’re probably reading this after work. I’m shy. I’m sorry if the scarf is not that neat, I tried hard, trust me. ^^"

Anyway, happy birthday! Hope you enjoyed your day.

Jurina

Ps. Since tomorrow is Saturday, can we have lunch or dinner together to celebrate your birthday? It’s on me.

Moved by Jurina’s sweet intention, Rena took her phone to text Jurina.

[Matsui Rena: Thank you for the birthday gift, Jurina. I like the scarf. I will definitely wear it. Anyway, I would love to have lunch with you tomorrow. Any recommended place in mind? See you tomorrow?]

Rena waited for Jurina’s reply. She wanted to know that Jurina was fine, that she only imagined Jurina’s sadness – or even worse – her disappointment. When she didn’t receive any reply after a few minutes, Rena was almost tempted to call Jurina. It was still early for a Friday night. Rena was sure Jurina was not sleeping yet. In the end, she chose not to call her. She would wait until the next morning to talk with her. If Jurina was really feeling sad or angry, Rena hoped tomorrow she could come up with good reasons to explain her omission about the party.

Checking her phone was usually not the first thing Rena did after waking up. She liked quiet and peaceful mornings; her mind would be troubled by any noise even if it came in the form of text messages. After all she had only few friends, she didn’t really expect any messages from other people.

Today was one of few exceptions. Rena unconsciously reached out for her phone as soon as she opened her eyes. When there was still no answer from Jurina, she felt ill-at-ease. Apparently, Jurina had read the message but chose to ignore it. As far as Rena could remember, Jurina never ignored her messages, even less when she was asking her a question. Now, she was positive her intuition about Jurina was right. Rena called her, hoping this time she would pick up her phone.

The first time, Rena ended up falling on the voice mail.

Is Jurina that angry at me that she doesn’t want to talk to me? Should I say sorry? But for what? I was not completely honest with her about our plans yesterday night, but I didn’t lie to her.

Rena felt relieved when the second time, she finally heard Jurina’s voice.

“Hi.”

It was a bit cold to Rena’s taste, but it was better than no answer at all.

“Hi, Jurina. Did you get my message last night?” Rena knew the answer but she still asked to be sure.

“Yeah.”

“I like your gift. I really appreciate it.”

There was a long pause.

“So, is your invitation still on for today?” Rena continued when she didn’t get any answer.

Jurina still didn’t say anything. It seemed like she was trying to choose her words carefully.

“Jurina, are you okay?”

“Alright. So you prefer lunch, right? I know a nice place.”

When Jurina came to Rena’s place to pick her up for their lunch, she couldn’t help but admiring how beautiful Rena was. It was almost unbelievable that this girl could break her heart again and again yet she still found herself falling for her nevertheless.

Jurina knew it could be hard for her to maintain her friendship with Rena after she rejected her a few weeks ago. She accepted the rejection, and knew she couldn’t impose her feelings on her. But what happened yesterday was a whole different story, and it surprised her that it hurt her that much.

She didn’t talk much during their way to the restaurant for their lunch, even though she realised Rena tried so hard to build a conversation with her. Jurina just didn’t feel like talking.

They went to a famous monjayaki restaurant in Nagoya. With the help of a waitress, they occupied one of the private rooms there. It didn’t take long time for them to order their menu – Jurina basically said yes to whatever Rena chose – and the waitress started to explain how to cook monjayaki.

Jurina had been very excited to bring Rena to this restaurant because they wouldn’t be only eating there, but also cooking monjayaki together. She liked the idea of cooking with Rena, but now Jurina regretted her choice. She should have just chosen a beef-katsu restaurant so she wouldn’t need to spend so much time with Rena. It really annoyed her when she realised that she was still mad at Rena because of what happened yesterday.

With Jurina’s lack of cooperation, Rena was practically cooking by herself. The cooking was simple and Rena didn’t mind it, but she didn’t like the atmosphere in the room. Jurina was physically present with her but in reality, it was as if she was really alone.

Their monjayaki was almost ready. Rena asked Jurina to taste it.

“How’s it?”

“Good,” Jurina answered with a short reply.

Rena couldn’t stand it any longer. She was frustrated by Jurina’s cold behaviour. She turned off the stove in front of her.

“Jurina, are you okay?” Rena repeated the same question she asked this morning, only this time on a more demanding tone. She needed answers.

“I’m mad at you, you know,” Jurina’s voice wasn’t full of anger as Rena would have expected. No, all she could hear was the other girl’s sadness.

“Is it because of my birthday party?”

“You didn’t invite me. I know you can’t return my feelings, but now I realise you don’t even consider me as a friend...”

“I didn’t mean to-”

“What am I to you?” Jurina cut her off, now sounding a bit hopeless.

Rena hated that question. She hated Jurina’s trembling voice because she knew she was responsible for that question. She hated the fact that she broke her heart again. But most of all, she hated that she didn’t know how to answer her question.

“I’m sorry, Jurina…”

Rena wanted to explain many things but in the end, that was all she said. She understood it was not only about the party; it was more than that. Jurina wanted to know her place in her heart. Jurina was the closest person in her life now, and she felt comfortable around her. That was something she rarely found in someone else. But she knew it would be unfair for Jurina to be with her while she couldn’t even give the answer for her simple question.

The silent in the room was like eternity. Their monjayaki was cold and untouched. Jurina wished she hadn’t let her emotion show up. Today was supposed to be a nice day. Rena was kind and sweet since this morning and Jurina felt she was being childish the whole day. And the question; she wished she hadn’t asked Rena the stupid question.

When she heard Rena’s apologetic tone, she knew she should have taken a decision. She should have moved on; she couldn’t just stay and hurt both Rena and herself. This triggered her to tell Rena about something she hid from her these past days.

“Few days ago I got an offer from Head Quarter to move to Yokohama for a new project,” Jurina just spilled it out. She couldn’t look straight at Rena’s eyes when she said that. “I think I want to take the chance.”

Rena couldn’t believe her ear. She knew about the latest project in Yokohama which will be started in the following month. But she hadn’t heard about the plan that Jurina would be transferred to another city. How come Management Board didn’t tell her beforehand? Jurina was in her team where she was appointed as the chief. She should’ve known before anyone else.

“What about our project?”

“It’s almost finished,” Jurina tried to sound as calm as possible.

“We still have two months left!”

“It’s almost finished, Rena. Management Board know better. You practically don’t need me anymore.”

“You said you are interested to do another project in Nagoya with our team,” Rena sounded upset, “You can reject their offering, right? It’s not mandatory, right?” Even Rena could hear the selfishness in her own voice. Not that she cared; the news caught her by surprise in the most unpleasant way. Rena was not ready for the unexpected turn.

“Yokohama is closer to Tokyo,” Jurina sighed, “besides, I don’t have anything to make me stay here.”

Or anyone. Jurina almost voiced what she thought.

Rena didn’t say any single word. She realised Jurina had a point. Her appetite was completely gone now. The fear of losing someone dear to her suddenly crossed her mind. She had had such experience two years ago. Now when her heart was almost healed, she was about to experience the same thing. As much as Rena thought she could handle it well, her heart didn’t believe so.

(to be continued)

Offline LuckyMatsui

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Crazy. Weird. WMATSUI.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 03:17:02 PM »
My masochist heart is pleased. More angst, author-san!

See you on the next update!  :cow:
Matsui Rena + Matsui Jurina =

Offline four4four

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »
No! Don't let this happen! :cry:
Don't separate WMatsui.
It already broke my heart when Rena didn't tell Jurina about the party; but now they may be split up?
Ahhhh, my heart won't be able to handle that.  :banghead:

Offline firebird123

• Jumarit803
  • Member+
  • Jumarit803
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
Rena please make up your mind or else she'll lose Jurina too  :cry:

Offline Minami-chan

• Member+
  • Still Love You
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 01:17:21 AM »
spread in panic!
No Jurina ... do not walk away from Rena.

Offline Haruko

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 05:45:31 AM »
Yeah!.. It's ok to take time I agree with J, go away a little kiddo if you need time take that oportunity to heal your heart

Offline huffhuff

• ecchi
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

me too..  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

me too..  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, let's see if the next chapter will please you (or not)  :hee:

No! Don't let this happen! :cry:
Don't separate WMatsui.
It already broke my heart when Rena didn't tell Jurina about the party; but now they may be split up?
Ahhhh, my heart won't be able to handle that.  :banghead:

They deserve to be something more, right?
Rena please make up your mind or else she'll lose Jurina too  :cry:

spread in panic!
No Jurina ... do not walk away from Rena.

Yeah!.. It's ok to take time I agree with J, go away a little kiddo if you need time take that opportunity to heal your heart

Rena and Jurina really need to make up their mind. :cool2:

Offline Bukiyou Taiyou

• Member+
Re: [WMATSUI] A Journey to Her Memory - Chapter 3 (12/4/2018)
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
CHAPTER 3

Airi was the first person that gave Rena the real definition of a broken heart. Yes, her own best friend Furukawa Airi that had been used to be the first one to text her on her birthday.

Two years ago

Rena couldn’t sleep. Airi just left Rena’s apartment few hours ago and rushed back to Toyohashi. She should had a sleepover at Rena’s place in Nagoya like their plan. Rena felt terribly guilty and sad at the same time.

Rena and Airi were childhood friends and they practically spent most of their time together since they had been in the same school; from elementary school to high school. They had been in a different college; Rena had chosen architect study while Airi had followed her passion to study graphic design. Since she was a kid, Airi had always wanted to be a mangaka artist.

Despite had been being in different college, they often hung out together since they had lived in the same neighbourhood. It was before Rena moved to Nagoya to work on a real-estate company three years ago; meanwhile Airi was still in Toyohashi to be a mangaka artist in a small studio at town.

Rena and Airi were the only best friend for each other. They both were introverts, so they understood each other very well it was almost like a telepathy. Their appearance was also similar. Their long black hair was something that people couldn’t ignore when they talked about them. However, while Rena’s introversion made her look distant and somehow cool, Airi was more shy and awkward. Airi was more expressive in her drawings.

Rena couldn’t tell since when that she realised she liked Airi more than just a friend; more than a best friend. She felt it was not right and she was not sure if Airi could return her feeling. Airi adored her; Rena knew it wholeheartedly. Rena could also feel Airi’s affection to her, but that could be completely different with what she felt about her now. Rena would never know if she didn’t ask her.

They both were 25 years old, and Rena thought they were mature enough to talk about this matter. So when she knew Airi would sleep at her apartment, she thought it would be a perfect time to confess to her.

Even though Rena prepared her heart for a rejection, when it really came she couldn’t believe it could be this awful. Airi rejected her without any reason.

“Rena, I can’t believe you ruin our friendship!” That was all she said; that was the last thing she ever said to Rena before she left Rena’s apartment. Rena believed she deserved some explanation but Airi just went away. Rena didn’t know how this could end wrong. She didn’t expect Airi would be very angry at her. Rena never saw Airi again ever since, not even when she went home in Toyohashi. The last time she heard Airi moved to Tokyo to work in a bigger film studio. Rena texted Airi to congratulate her, but she never got a reply.

Rena didn’t only lose someone she secretly loved for years, she also lost her only best friend.

Jurina’s intention to leave Nagoya was still on Rena’s mind. Rena didn’t want Jurina to be like the second Airi. Realisation hit her hard when she found herself didn’t want to lose Jurina.

Their lunch ended up nothing but awkward and uneasy for both of them. Rena still remembered what Jurina said yesterday.

“Besides, I don’t have anything to make me stay here.”

Maybe,
she thought, maybe I could make her stay.

Rena felt Monday morning came too late. The night before she couldn’t sleep well. Her mind was occupied with the thoughts of her fellow architect. She wanted to meet Jurina. She had something to say to her.

The luck was not on Rena’s side. The first text she received was from Jurina, informing her that she would take a day off today.

[Matsui Jurina: Rena, I’m sorry I can’t go to work today. I got fever; I felt unwell since yesterday. I will meet a doctor soon.]

Rena couldn’t help but felt worry about Jurina’s health. She called her right away. Rena knew Jurina was a tough girl but she was only by herself right now.

When she woke up this morning, Rena didn’t have any specific plan after office hours. But now she knew.

Jurina still felt dizzy despite having taken the medicine that the doctor gave her. After her doctor’s visit to her apartment, she only stayed on the bed all day long. Jurina didn’t know what time it was when she heard her apartment’s bell rang.

She didn’t expect anyone to come, but when the bell rang for the second time, she tried to move out of her bed. Jurina believed she looked like a mess right now, but she didn’t care. She wanted to know who came to her apartment– she glance at the clock on the living room – at this hour; 6 o’clock in the evening.

When she opened the door, she was more than surprised to find a girl standing in front of her. From all the people she could ever think of, why her?

“Annin?”

Why now?

“Good evening, Jurina.”

That girl with a long brown hair casually kissed Jurina’s cheek before she let herself enter the apartment. It was like she had done it for many times before. Her concern voice didn’t go unnoticed when she placed her hand on Jurina’s forehead. Jurina stepped back a little.

“Feeling unwell, Jurina?”

“Why are you here?” Jurina retorted.

Annin sat on the blue sofa in the living room. She looked so relaxed despite being uninvited. And unwanted.

“I moved here,” Annin said. When Jurina didn’t give any respond, she continued, “I personally asked my boss to transfer me to Nagoya.”

Jurina stayed still. She didn’t sit on the sofa despite feeling dizzy. She wanted to show Annin that she didn’t wish to have a longer conversation with her. But Annin could be a very stubborn girl. She continued her explanation, completely ignored Jurina’s disagreement look.

“I admit it that I was wrong, Jurina,” Annin tried to reach Jurina’s hand which only met with another gesture of rejection.

“I want to make our relationship works.”

“We are not in a relationship anymore,” Jurina snapped.

“I know. It was my fault. I can’t survive long distance relationship, Jurina. You know it.”

“You only survived for a month before you wanted us to break up.” Jurina didn’t mean it but she could feel the anger in her voice.

“I regret it, Jurina. That’s why I come here. I haven’t found any apartment yet, I’m staying in a hotel. I thought we could live together-“

“No,” Jurina have had enough, “Annin, I really don’t want to talk to you right now.”

Annin carefully considered her options. She knew it well when Jurina meant each of her words.

“Okay. I’m leaving you then. I hope we can find another time to talk.” She stood up.

Jurina didn’t answer.

“I miss you, Jurina.”

That was her last attempt to get Jurina’s attention. Annin waited for Jurina to say something back to her, but she didn’t.

When Annin finally left her apartment, Jurina felt relieved. She didn’t need any more drama to add in her life now. Just when she was about to go back to bed, the bell rang again.

Really? She thought. Annin never really changed. She was as stubborn as Jurina could remember. Jurina thought she should tell her straight forward that she was not interested to talk about their past relationship.

Jurina opened the door and she was surprised to find another girl in front of her door.

“Rena?”

Rena noticed well Jurina’s surprised look. The older Matsui smiled at her and Jurina swore that was the best thing that ever happened to her that day. They could spend practically five days in a week together, but never once Rena came to her apartment.

“May I come in?”

“Ah, yes. Sure. Please...”

“How are you, Jurina? Still feeling unwell?”

Jurina took a brief look at herself from a small mirror decorating her living room. She hoped she didn’t look that awful.

“Yeah… But I’m feeling better now…,” she said.

Like, way better now that you are here, Rena.  Jurina added those words in her head.

“I left the office early to come here. I can tell you haven’t had dinner, Jurina.”

“I don’t feel like eating,” Jurina sighed.

“Wait until I cook you dinner,” Rena’s teasing tone startled Jurina.

What.

“Where’s the kitchen, Jurina?”

What?!

Jurina slowly registered what Rena asked. She was afraid it was only her imagination. What if she was too sick that she imagined things – from Annin to Rena?

“Jurina, are you alright?”

“Yeah. It’s just…”

Jurina looked at her and realised Rena couldn’t be more real. The girl who stole her heart was really standing in front of her. And now she wanted to cook for her. Jurina hated being sick because she couldn’t stand doing nothing aside from sleeping and taking a rest. But now, she had a completely different idea about her condition. She was beginning to believe it was a blessing in disguise.

Jurina noticed the plastic bag Rena carried. She could tell Rena bought some vegetables along her way here. She might have lost her appetite, she couldn’t wait to taste Rena’s cooking.

It took almost an hour for Rena to cook a simple chicken soup for Jurina. Rena might not be a very good cook, yet she believed she could cook a chicken soup well. After all, it was her family receipt. Her mom used to prepare her soup when she was sick.

While Rena was cooking in the kitchen, Jurina didn’t help much. She just sat and every now and then would take a look at the busy girl. She wondered why Rena was being nice – too nice – to her tonight. Was it because of her plan to leave Nagoya for Yokohama? Jurina felt a pang in her chest because of her own thoughts. Her head was dizzy again.

When Rena finished cooking, Jurina helped her prepare the table. That was the least she could do. Both of them now were now sitting next to each other.

“How is it?”

Rena excitedly looked at Jurina with her first spoonful of the chicken soup.

“It’s… nice.”

Jurina didn’t lie. The soup was nice; it made her feel warm.

“I’m happy to hear that,” Rena smiled.

They ate silently. Jurina was still bothered by her previous thoughts. This moment would be wonderful if she was not overthinking. She slowly ate the soup to enjoy every sip of it. If only she could freeze time.

“You seem to enjoy your dinner so much, that you forgot how to speak,” Rena playfully said.

“It’s the first time you cook for me. I really enjoy it. Thank you,” Jurina looked at the bowl sadly.

…and it could be the la-

“I can cook for you another time, you know.”

There was something about what Rena just said. Jurina couldn’t decipher its meaning.

Rena hesitantly reached for Jurina’s hand.

“Jurina, please stay…”

“I-I don’t understand.”

“You know about my story with Airi. I… still can’t get over her. I’m not sure about my feelings for you. But I know for sure that I don’t want to lose you. I like you, Jurina.”

“Yeah. Airi. Of course...” Jurina mentally cursed herself for giving more importance to the fact Rena brought Airi into their conversation, rather than on the fact that Rena clearly stated she liked her. Sometimes, she really hated her own selective hearing.

“It takes time for me to love someone. I might sound selfish, but please… would you give me more time to be sure about us?”

“For how long, Rena? We stay friends until you can make up your mind?”

The tension in the room was getting heavier.

“I don’t know…” Rena felt helpless. Then, something crossed her mind. “I never had a girlfriend before. I think it’s nice to have one.” Rena was feeling so nervous, she couldn’t even look at Jurina.

This girl. Sometimes, she really speaks in riddles. Jurina groaned. She was not good at reading between the lines; she needed to make it clear. “Are you confessing to me?”

“I think so?”

The tension dropped and everything seemed lighter for Jurina. She didn’t need to clarify. This was the right moment; and she didn’t want to lose it.

“Okay,” Jurina quickly said, before Rena could have the chance to change her mind or realise what she said.

“Okay?”

“Let’s try this, Rena. You’ll see: I can be an amazing girlfriend.” Jurina sounded so sure about herself.

“So, you won’t go? You’ll stay here?”

“I have a reason to stay here. So, yes. I’ll stay here. Will you stay here?”

Rena was confused. “Yes, sure. Why did you even ask me that? I’m not going anywhere.”

“I mean… will you stay here tonight? Your girlfriend is sick and she is weak now and-”

“I can see she’s feeling much better now,” Rena couldn’t help but laugh.

Jurina could predict Rena would reject her idea. At least, she tried.

“But… I will consider it if she finishes the food I cooked for her,” Rena pretended to think.

“Really? Then I will finish everything.”

“But I didn’t bring a change of clothes.”

“Don’t worry, your girlfriend has plenty.”

Rena was amused by Jurina’s words. Jurina was her old cheerful self again, and Rena realised that even when she was sick, Jurina was still terribly cute.

Rena didn’t understand how she ended up in Jurina’s bedroom. Her initial thought when she planned to visit Jurina’s apartment was to make her stay. She didn’t plan to confess. She didn’t plan to get herself a girlfriend.

A girlfriend.

It was new to her. What if I screw it up? What if Jurina expects too much from me? Rena was terribly worried. She wore Jurina’s pyjamas; she could smell Jurina’s scent all over her body. Earlier on, she clearly didn’t think straight. Rena felt like she was playing with fire. Jurina was already in her pyjamas, and could see Rena being slightly uncomfortable on the bed.

“I’m sorry, I only have one bed.”

“It’s okay…”

“I shouldn’t have asked you to stay here tonight. You might not feel comfortable.”

“It’s okay, Jurina. I’m the one who decided to stay here.”

Jurina sat on the far left of the bed. Rena was on the right side.

“You can actually come closer,” Rena told Jurina.

They both lied down on the bed.

“You know I won’t try anything unless you are okay with it, right?” Jurina looked back at her. 

“Yes, I know.” Rena changed her position to face Jurina.

“I wonder if I can kiss you-” Jurina said it almost inaudible.

“What?” Rena was flabbergasted.

“…on the cheek?”

“Okay, on the cheek.”

Before Rena changed her mind, Jurina kissed her on the cheek. Quick yet tender. She could change direction and kiss her lips easily, but she held herself. She needed to gain Rena’s trust first. A simple kiss on her cheek was enough. For now.

“Jurina?”

“Yes?”

“When did you realise you liked me?”

“Hmm...” Jurina leaned on the edge of the bed. “The first time I met you, when I was introduced to your team, I had this impression that you were a serious – no – cold person.”

“You are not the first person to tell me that. Did I look intimidating?”

“Intimidating? No. You looked… indifferent. You seemed not to care about anyone or anything than your work. Until one day, you suddenly asked me to have dinner with you. You noticed that I was not my usual self. You, from all people at the office.”

Jurina made a short pause, before continuing. “We had dinner and we talked about random things. We didn’t talk about work; you didn’t ask what was wrong and I really appreciated that. Then I realised that you were… special. I wanted to know more about you. It was like… peeling onions.”

“Peeling onions? Really?” Rena laughed.

“You had so many layers, but I was willing to make the effort to know you better. That was why I insisted to pick you up to work every morning. I was happy just to drive you and talk to you.”

“I’m touched, Jurina. Thank you…”

Jurina moved back on her side, before turning the light off. Her headache had disappeared, and her fever was long forgotten although she still felt a bit cold despite the normal temperature. She tightly clutched the blanket, before suddenly feeling Rena hugging her from behind, effectively keeping her warm.

(to be continued)

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hotei Tomoyasu - Chase!!!