JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: thatonezombie - Mini`s Birthday Present 5-31-09

Author Topic: The Official Rap Thread  (Read 663452 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Official Rap Thread (NEW WU-TANG ALBUM 2007 | DL Puffy Victory last pg)
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2005, 09:57:48 AM »
hmm!! liking DL Incognito. sounds raw like Wu-Tang...much better than the MC's I'm watching on Much ROFL.

and shheeet. That should be the theme of a segment of our Radio show. Nas and Jay-Z together. And post Mochanutz's remixes too. :D

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
November 13th is the one year anniversary of the passing of Ol Dirty Bastard...

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/rza%20i%20started%201998%20club%20riot

WU-TANG CLAN rapper RZA has come clean about the 1998 riot that almost led to his untimely death at a California show - he started it.

The hip-hop star admits he was "the problem" that sparked the infamous club fight that ended with late bandmate OL' DIRTY BASTARD pulling out a gun on stage and firing it into the rafters, clearing the venue.

He says, "Some n**ga looked at me funny, and I threw my drink in his face, and he was a tough dude and wanted to fight. So we beat his a*s and security came, and we were beating security's a*s.

"I remember taking my chair and just breaking the whole bar up. Then a n**ga pulled a gun on me, two feet away, and Dirty caught him before he had a chance to shoot me. It was pandemonium."

Ironically, the show went on for the rap supergroup and it was one of their best.

RZA, real name ROBERT DIGGS, regrets the group's violent shows and their bombastic manner because it has won them many enemies in the music industry.

He explains, "Wu-Tang Clan came in so egotistic, so aggressive, that we basically made no friends in the rest of the industry."

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2005, 11:15:10 AM »
RIP ODB

I know there are those who don't understand ur game, but you was the most original artist ever not named Rika Ishikawa. Thanks for making life fun.

You can cop a compiliation album from the official Wu-Tang Site:

http://www.wutangcorp.com/news/getarticle/article/636/?s=ce2b282a7d13ec976a665efc4c656c6e&#comments

when the new album gonna drop?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2005, 09:48:37 AM »
Kardinal Offishall :canada:

YEEEAAHH!! I got Kardinal Offishall's new album

and it's TIGGHT, feat. guest appearances galore. and whoa, he's gonna be on  tour with 50??

http://kardinaloffishall.com

Tracks to be premiered on HiP HoP Hizzy this week ROFL!
http://www.miumu.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2277&mforum=jpmx

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2005, 06:33:25 PM »
A brand new Raekwon interview:

While poking around the Juelz show for any sort of grub besides skate rink corn dogs and nacho cheese, we accidentally rubbed shoulders with Shaolin’s finest, Chef Raekwon himself. Turns out Mr. Lex Diamonds was due to perform at that day (he ended up not going on), so there wasn't time to go Dr. Phil on him; instead, we just blurted out every question that’s been burning since we got word of the forthcoming Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II. He fed our minds, and will feed yours after the jump.

What’s going on with Cuban Linx II?

Working on, it’s finally in the makings. It’s gonna be a sick record, a lot of hard joints. We’re taking it back to like the underground, classic Wu-era. We had the different kinds of music, production and all that, so you’re gonna hear lots of street tales over gritty sounds, it’s gonna be hot though.

How much is RZA doing on the album?

He’s doing a substantial amount. He’s basically keeping our ears open to more product. Right now, it’s the new millennium, we’re not really trying to saturate it with just us, we want to be able to get other opportunities to producers too, to appear with someone that big. It’s really a blessing to be able to do it like that.

You just dropped a new mixtape too, right?

Yeah we got a new mixtape out called The Vatican, it’s basically just letting everybody know our brand is still out there. And you know you get a chance to hear some new songs, hear some skits, and basically just kind of fill out who I am, the person that I am. Like I said, it’s just to let people know to get ready for what’s about to come, so there’s a lot of highlights on this album that’s gonna be having people going crazy. Get ready for it.

How many cuts did you end up doing on Ghostface’s new album?

Must have done about 4 or 5 joints.

And that’s dropping a month or two before yours?

Well we’re looking for an April release, and I think Ghost is looking at February or March.

You think you’re gonna have any really easy single off the album, like Ghost is doing with “Be Easy”?

To be honest, if you really look at the element of [ Only Built 4 Cuban Linx] there’s a lot of street shit on that album, and I’m basically just trying to capture that for that core audience real quick, I’m not really caught up in the frame of having a mainstream record, I’m just giving everybody a vibe of what they wanted, when they wanted it. Singles will probably be announced, but it ain’t like I have one here or one there.

That’s probably for the better.

I mean I realized that I can’t sell myself short on how I feel. If this the music that I’m making, and at the time I want this to be heard, then that’s what it’s gonna be. It’s not just like I don’t have sympathy for the people or what they may want, but everybody want that hard shit from me, so I’m just gonna keep it hard.

Is there any one track on that album that you’re already really excited about, something on a level with other classics?

Well put it like this, I got a song on there with a couple of members from the Clan, and it’s called “The House of Flying Daggers.” And that’s gonna be a big record, because we kinda got everybody in the same frame of mind, it’s as if we did “Protect Ya Neck” again. We call the tongue a sword, so “The House of Flying Daggers” is a bunch of dudes with their swords out, getting busy. So it’s gonna be one of them kind of songs, that it’s gonna highlight the album and make the Wu so big that people are gonna be like “This is what we want to hear from you.” Like I said, I’m just rhyming, letting everybody know that I still got it. But when it comes time to judge a single, I’m not gonna judge it, I’m gonna let the people judge it. I feel more comfortable with them saying what they like and what they don’t like. Everybody can’t like everything, but at the same time I want to give the people a type of way where they can hear a couple of things and then recall it. But, this is a prolific record, this is a very, very high volume rap record. You ain’t gonna hear too much of that smooth clean shit on there. It’s gonna be a lot of dirty shit, but this is what people want. It’s the Cuban Link era, it’s on.

Do you think the clan is going to be doing anything as a whole any time soon?

I can say yeah. As far as us getting into the same building though, right at the moment, it’s kind of tough, because everybody has individual projects that still bring about financial problems. We just gotta stay busy and continue to do mad work.

It’s been a decade since Cuban Linx came out, are you thinking its going to be a decade more before a follow-up to this next one?

I know this game like you know how to tie your sneakers. I haven’t been able to drop a lot of albums, but in 2006 I got a new plan, a new development that’s going on, that y’all are gonna be like “Wow, he’s showing us his work ethic.” It’s still in the beginning stages of everything, even in my career. I got the energy for this though, I’m gonna be here for a long time.

The Chef is cooking up some marvelous shit  :yep:

Offline waso dodu

• Member+
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2005, 02:38:40 PM »
Quote from: Masa

Is there any one track on that album that you’re already really excited about, something on a level with other classics?

Well put it like this, I got a song on there with a couple of members from the Clan, and it’s called “The House of Flying Daggers.” And that’s gonna be a big record, because we kinda got everybody in the same frame of mind, it’s as if we did “Protect Ya Neck” again. We call the tongue a sword, so “The House of Flying Daggers” is a bunch of dudes with their swords out, getting busy. So it’s gonna be one of them kind of songs, that it’s gonna highlight the album and make the Wu so big that people are gonna be like “This is what we want to hear from you.” Like I said, I’m just rhyming, letting everybody know that I still got it. But when it comes time to judge a single, I’m not gonna judge it, I’m gonna let the people judge it. I feel more comfortable with them saying what they like and what they don’t like.

The Chef is cooking up some marvelous shit  :yep:

weeeeeeeeeeee
the title and description makes the song look promising
can't wait

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2006, 08:15:37 AM »
Wu-Tang Clan - Initial Reunion Tour Dates
posted on 12-18-2005 @ 5:22 AM
Initial dates have been released for the WU-TANG CLAN's reunion tour:

February 8 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
February 10 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Electric Factory
February 17 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution
February 19 - Orlando, FL @ Hard Rock Live

Participating in the tour is the original line-up (minus O.D.B.) of RZA, GZA, METHOD MAN, GHOSTFACE KILLAH, RAEKWON, MASTA KILLA, INSPECTAH DECK, and U-GOD.

Lucky SOBs who can go  :evil:

And this looks wack, The Ghostface Killah doll:

http://www.theghostfacedoll.com

The comic ones looked better  :lol:

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2006, 07:43:46 PM »
Ghostface Killah is set to release a limited edition 9” tall action figure of himself (http://www.theghostfacedoll.com ), complete with real 14 karat gold jewelry.

The Iron Man is also focusing on his next album set for a February 28 release.  With production from MF DOOM, Pete Rock, J.Dilla, MadLib, and others, Ghostface Killah is getting ready to drop his fifth album, and second for Def Jam Recordings, Fishscale.  “Fishscale is just me showing that I can still ball with the best of them,” Ghost said. “With each album I learn, so this album has the most knowledge of all of them.”   “Back Like That,” featuring Def Jam signee Ne-Yo, is Fishscale’s soulful first single.

Fishscale looks like its gonna be dope already, with that production line.
For some reason, I see Masa gettin' that Ghostface doll  :lol:

------------

Also, I found this

http://www.realtorontodvd.com/index.html

"Toronto, known to most as a world class city has another side to it. This movie shows you the reality of living in housing projects and some of the most run down areas in the city. This footage includes interviews with gang members, drug dealers and some of the realest street rappers in Toronto. From Scarborough to Etobicoke this movie will take you through hoods in 9 different locations to show you"

I tend to stay away from the ghetto areas, if there are any in Toronto =P  I live in Scarborough which is known to be a ghetto part of the city, but i've never seen anything as bad as it is in the States.  A lot of shootings have been happening recently though, I think the most significant one is the young girl who was caught in the crossfire on Boxing Day (dec 26, 2005) at like, the most popular mall in the city (Eatons' Centre).  

Probably the only place I know that could have a real ghetto gang life is Jane and Finch.  But anyone ever see that asian video by Chuckie Akenz "You Got Beef?"  Hahaha, i'm sure you did XD  So, its kinda hard to take gangsta life seriously here.

Here's the vid for it anyways
http://jane-finch.com/videos/yougotbeef.htm

Honestly, in my view, I see very little ghetto life here.  If there is, they're pretty much born into it, trying to get out.  The rest, they want to be ghetto.  

Anyways, this dvd is surprising me, and I live here! =P  But, every city has a 'hood', so yea.
word.

Offline Specz

• He's a Hustla
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2006, 01:16:51 AM »
Nice to see a hip hop thread around here. Im a big hip hop fan especially east coast rap. NY STAND THE FUCK UP!  :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2006, 03:22:44 PM »
The rumoured Fishscale tracklist:

1. Shakey Dog (prod Lewis Parker)
2. Kilos feat. Raekwon (prod MoSS)
3. Be Easy (prod Pete Rock)
4. Charlie Brown (prod MF Doom)
5. Barber Shop (prod Studio Steve)
6. Big Girl (prod Ghostface)
7. Bricks feat. Biggie and Raekwon (prod Cool & Dre)
8. Dawn feat. Capadonna (no producer info)
9. Back like that feat. Ne-Yo (prod Xtreme)
10. Chunky (prod Pete Rock)
11. Wu Joint (prod MF Doom)
12. Clips of Doom (prod MF Doom)
13. Whip You With A Strap (prod J Dilla)
14. Dawn feat. Capadonna & Trife (prod MF Doom)
15. Rae & Ghost (no producer info)
16. Underwater (prod MF Doom)
17. Can Can feat. Shawna & Shareefa (prod Ghostface)
18. Crackspot (prod Crack Val)
19. Family Affair (prod Pete Rock)

Quote from: Specz
Nice to see a hip hop thread around here. Im a big hip hop fan especially east coast rap. NY STAND THE FUCK UP!  :lol:

You better tune in to HiP HoP Hizzy today cause we're gonna have an East Coast Special. And I guarantee you that we will be playing classic shit only :)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
Ghostface Preps New Album, Wu-Tang To Tour

January 10, 2006, 2:00 PM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Wu-Tang Clan principal Ghostface Killah has put the finishing touches on his fifth album, "Fishscale," due Feb. 28 via Def Jam. The set is led by the single "Back Like That," which features up-and-coming Def Jam labelmate Ne-Yo. Production on the project was supplied by MF Doom, Pete Rock, Madlib and J. Dilla, among many others.

Rock produced "Be Easy," which hit the streets on mixtapes last fall, while Wu-Tang cohort Raekwon appears on four tracks, including "Kilo." Ghostface's manager tells Billboard.com the song "Wu United" features all the members of the Wu-Tang Clan, who are regrouping in February for their first tour since 1997. Kanye West is also working on a track for the project.

"Fishscale" is the follow-up to Ghostface's 2004 Def Jam debut, "The Pretty Toney Album," which opened at No. 6 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 219,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Ghostface is also tipped to appear on Raekwon's sequel to his 1995 solo album "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx," but no release date has yet been confirmed.

As for the Wu-Tang tour, Ghostface's manager says all the members of the act will participate. At deadline, 10 shows were confirmed, beginning Feb. 7 in New Haven, Conn., but discussions are underway for additional summer dates. Both Raekwon and RZA hinted at the possibility of a Wu outing in prior interviews with Billboard.com, with RZA stressing that group members should be thinking about something other than money when it comes to Wu-Tang's future.

"I know everybody has a lifestyle they have to maintain," he told Billboard.com in February 2005. "Let's just say a Wu-Tang Clan album is worth a couple million dollars. Once 10 guys get on it, it's still worth a couple hundred grand. Some guys' lifestyles require them to make five or six hundred thousand dollars a year regardless. Maybe doing Wu-Tang will make you that much money, but doing it by yourself could you make you a million, because there aren't so many hands involved. But for the legacy, I think we should be willing to make that sacrifice and get it cracking."

Wu-Tang was able to reassemble for one show in California in July 2004 (chronicled on the CD/DVD "Disciples of the 36 Chambers") and another in New Jersey in November of that year the night before Ol' Dirty Bastard collapsed and died in a Manhattan recording studio.

Before the Wu dates, Ghostface will join Fort Minor at a Feb. 6 show in New York, and will then embark on his own tour in early March with Dead Prez's M1 and Sam Scarfo.

Also on tap for this spring is the release of a Ghostface action figure, which will come with a mixtape by a DJ to be announced. The doll, which is limited to 1,000, is decked out in 14-karat gold jewelry and can speak "Ghostface Killah catch-phrases," according to manufacturer 4Cast. Purchasers will also be eligible for a contest whose prize is spending a day with the rapper.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001808847

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2006, 11:26:35 AM »
NEWS!

Cam'ron dissing Jay-Z

Cam'ron Attacks Jay-Z With Dis Track 'You Got It'
01.18.2006 8:08 PM EST

Song even addresses Hov's girlfriend, Beyoncé.

After years of denying an apparent mutual disdain for each other, Cam'ron and Jay-Z appear on the brink of a full-on battle, and MTV News has exclusively obtained a listen to the opening salvo: a Cam dis track against Hov called "You Got It."

The seven-minute cut starts out with Cam outlining five reasons for his attack on Jay, including accusations that the Def Jam president stole the Roc-A-Fella empire and Kanye West from ex-partner Dame Dash as well as the Rocawear clothing line.

Further into the track, Cam spits, "You ain't the only one with big wallets/ Got it/ My sh--'s brolick/ But ya publishing should go to Miss Wallace/ ... Down at Jeezy's video/ I shoulda kissed you on the cheek/ You's a pretty ho'/ I left the label right/ Lotta cats wonder how/ Every time I dis that label I get fined a hundred thou."

In the upcoming March issue of XXL magazine, which features Cam'ron on the cover, the Harlem native sheds light on where things began to fall apart with Jay-Z. "The real problems began when Jay went away and Dame was talking about making me president. When Jay came back, he had an attitude," Cam told the publication. Cam told the publication. "He said to [Beanie Sigel] something to the effect that he didn't feel comfortable with what Dame was trying to do."

Cam'ron also takes time on "You Got It" to address Jay's girlfriend, Beyoncé. "Beyoncé, fiancee?/ Check my second LP/ I might bring her back/ That's your girl, that's your world/ Had the thing f---ing singing 'bout slinging crack!" The clip ends with Cam playing his 2000 collaboration with Beyoncé on the song "Do It Again."

It's not yet clear whether the dis record will appear on Cam's upcoming Killa Season album.

A spokesperson for Jay-Z could not be reached for comment.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1521141/01182006/cam_ron.jhtml?headlines=true

http://rapidshare.de/files/11324253/02_You_got_to_love_it_Beyonce.mp3.html

Jay-Z better come back and end this fool's career :lol:

Another Raekwon interview about Cuban Linx 2:

The year is 1993. Nine talented hip-hop lovers combine their abilities to form the notorious Wu-Tang Clan. Thirteen years later, after hip-hop cliques around the world were found imitating the Wu blueprint model, the members of this clique are dispersed throughout the country doing their own thing. Even
so, they’re still living and breathing Wu-Tang.Among these nine originators of hip-hop is Raekwon a.k.a. The Chef. Identifying himself with the Wu-Tang Clan and, through the experience,
molding himself into a talented hip-hop artist, Raekwon, today, is preparing for his comeback. Touching up an album, Only Built for Cuban Linx Pt. 2, set to be released in April 2006, Rae has been moving along a path, making right
turns in hip-hop with his music, stopping at red lights in business with his multi-purpose venture, Ice Water Inc., and disobeying speed limits on the streets with his mixtapes. What’s Rae really thinking about? MH2’s Stacy got the dish.

MH2: Your new one’s expected to drop in April. What can Wu-Tang and Raekwon fans expect?

R: Well, number one, what y’all can expect from me is to come back and really get real cold with everything right now. I got this album called Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. 2 coming out. This is a very big, much-anticipated album. Basically, that was my first album that I started in the game with. You know, it’s 10 years later, people want Part 2 so that’s what I’ve been working on. And you know, right now, the Clan, we’ve all been huddling up in our own little ways, supporting the record.

MH2: So you all keep in touch?

R: Yeah, I mean we always keep in touch. We don’t see each other too much, but we definitely talk though.

MH2: What makes this album different from your past one?

R: Because, you know, the past one I’d just been doing what I’ve been doing: rhyming and making songs. But this one is more to the street, it’s harder. It’s me really making sure everything is dotted - the Is are dotted, the Ts are crossed. You know, me and RZA are back in effect together, as far as a
collaborated effort. It’s going to be ill. To me, this one is better than the first one. The only reason I say that is that my ability to rhyme is better and I get what I get into better. It’s just that I feel stronger. You know, as you get older, you get mature and you start knowing what really counts to make it work, and that’s what I’ve just been doing.

MH2: Besides that album, what else are you focused on?

R: We’ve just been doing underground music, keeping mixtapes out on the streets. That’s the new thing now so you just gotta keep your ear to the streets, and that’s what weve been doing. I’ve got a mixtape CD out now called The Vatican. I ve just been more or less staying on top of this project because this is a very serious project. And, right now, we gotta come to the masses with the fire. So it’s gonna be on.

MH2: What’s up with Wu-Tang? Which members are you tightest with?

R: I’m cool with all of them. (Who do you talk to on a regular basis?) I mean, nah, we don’t talk like that. One thing about us, we’re a real family. We’re a family that’ll chill, we come and go, but at the same time we know each other is alright ‘cause there’s always somebody around that’s around either one of us. So, you know, we may talk three times in one month, then the next month, we might talk two times a week. So you know, that just
fluctuates anyway. But, you know how that goes, you don’t ever be with your brothers.

MH2: Are any other members making moves? We’re hearing from you. We’re hearing a lot of new stuff from Ghostface. Anybody else moving forward?

R: Well, you know you got Meth working on his album, Deck doing a mixtape, he’s working on his stuff. Everybody’s being prepped on what they gotta do, but they’re just starting at the levels that they started at. We’re all big fish now so it’s like, at the end of the day, you can’t stop a man from going to seek the way that he feels he’s going to be. So everyone’s just been standing up on their own doing their thing.

MH2: Any upcoming collaborations?

R: You know that. You know the crew is on the record, a collabo, and I really wanted to keep that a secret, but you pulled it out of me ‘cause you sexy, you know what I mean, but there you go, you got it out of me. The Clan is on it. Y’all gonna like it.

MH2: Going a little off-topic, how do you feel about ODB’s passing?

R: I mean, you know, I think about him every day and it ain’t easy, but, you know, things happen. I think that it could’ve been any one of us. All I could think about now is just trying to do something and do it with his signature on it and, basically, get back to his family the best way that I could. That’s what it’s about. You know, us being able to just continue the movement we was doing and still support his family because he made this
along with us. We made this together. Actually, he’s the epitome of Wu, for real.

MH2: Are you involved with Wu Latino at all?

R: Yes, absolutely. We all in the same building. Wu Latino is just another branch of us just displaying our cultural styles with other music artists.

MH2: I know RZA is involved with a lot of the production and is working closely with them, but are you looking to collaborate with the artists?

R: Of course, I mean you know, its like this: anybody that comes into our establishment and on our business criteria, it’s like they have to be a part of us, we have to be a part of them because, number one, you’re wearing our badge. And, like I said, a lot of our fans are of different nationalities and I don’t want anyone to think that we forgot that. We respect everything and, at the end of the day, if you’re talented, you can be from wherever, and if you’re a die-hard fan and you know what it’s about, our door is always open to everything. Like I said, this is just one chapter of us doing it on a cultural level now.

MH2: A fan wants to know - can you do “Verbal Intercourse Pt. 2” with Nas on the new album?

R: Wow, tell him I would do that, but if Nas picks up his phone or whatever whatever. One thing about Nas is that Nas is a person that likes to get in touch with people. He don’t really like people to get too much in touch with him. So my whole thing is, I mean there ain’t nothing, no bad vibes with us, but if I could contact him, I’m sure he’s gonna represent for me. But if not, Rae gotta move on, you know. At the end of the day, I’m not gonna go hunt Nas down and get Nas points on something with me if Nas don’t wanna be heard or seen. So that’s the deal. But, when I get my hands on him and I talk to him, y’all gonna know. Either you’re gonna hear it up there or he missed that train. So for my man, it’s like, yo, I’d love to do it. You know
what i mean, Nas, that’s my son right there. He knows what time it is. I was the ***** that told him to put that verse on “Verbal Intercourse.” We’ll see what happens.

MH2: Thanks, Rae.

http://www.morehiphop.com/raekwonfeat.php

Common news:

Common Discusses His Silver Screen Dreams

Ryan Dombal reports:
As more and more hip-hop stars jump off the platinum train in search of mega-million opening weekends and inevitably awkward sex scenes, it's become increasingly clear that the rapper-turned-actor transition can be both fruitful (Mos Def, Tupac, Will Smith) and rotten (50 Cent, Bow Wow, Vanilla Ice).

So when Common dropped off Kanye West's white hot "Touch the Sky" tour to shoot a film a few months back, fan trepidation was understandable. Thankfully, his upcoming flick isn't exactly Roll Bounce 2: Keep 'Em Bouncin'. As the Chicago MC recently told Pitchfork, Smoking Aces-- directed by Narc's Joe Carnahan-- is a "dark comedy/ drama/ action movie based on a magician who becomes a mob guy who's wanted by everybody." Kind of like if David Copperfield and The Godfather had a kid and named it...um...Smoking Aces.

Alongside thespians including Jeremy Piven, Ray Liotta, Ben Affleck, and, uh, Ryan Reynolds, Com plays the magician/ mob guy's right hand man, Sir Ivy, who he described as "a warrior--that quiet killer." And, before you can say Soul Plane, the first-time film star is quick to spit out his assumed silver-spoon big-screen trajectory. "I went to two auditions for this, it's not like I was just given the role," he said. "They want the movie to have credibility. I came in as a new actor, not as a hip-hop artist trying to be an actor."

Drawing inspiration from award-season heavies like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Jeffrey Wright, and Sean Penn, as well as films including The Usual Suspects, City of God, and Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood ("I like when the Muslim dude is like, 'Black princess, queen of the Nile, sister of the earth...tap that white girl over there for me'"), the distinguished MC generally feels happy with his debut performance.

Though there was one slight dilemma: "At one point, something happens to my eye in the movie so they needed me to wink my left eye and keep my right eye open...but I couldn't do it. Everybody else on the set could-- even in the crew." Tinky Winky jokes aside, Smoking Aces is set to burn big this summer.

While he's currently reading more scripts in hopes of landing another major role, Chi-town's finest isn't planning on hanging up his mic anytime soon. Banking once again on the peerless production prowess of Be brothers Kanye West and J Dilla, Common is tentatively aiming for a fall release for his next album, Finding Forever. And there's another bulletproof beat master on his wishlist: Dr. Dre. The pairing may not be as unlikely as you think-- both artists reside under the same Universal Music Group mega-umbrella. "I'm going to try to pull that label hook up eventually," said the rapper.

Hip-hop fans can also look out for a new Dilla-produced Common track called "So Far to Go", featuring r&b's own Howard Hughes, D'Angelo. "We did a remix for 'Go' but it ended up being a brand new song," explained Com. "It's a sexy type of song...we may put it on a re-release of Be or a soundtrack." A soundtrack to Smoking Aces, possibly? Sounds synergys-tastic!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-01/11.shtml

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2006, 10:04:03 AM »
Cam'ron was always wack. Jay's never gonna retire.

Dre producing Common would be off the chain boyeeee!! good to see him releasing something so soon.

Now give us that Wu-Tang TOUR!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2006, 10:32:14 AM »
Jay-Z takes over

Jay & Nas getting crunk :yep:

Jay-Z may go to work every day as the president and CEO of Def Jam Records, but he's still an MC at heart and occasionally in practice. So you can imagine what it's like for him to hear all the whispers in the wake of Cam'ron's recent dis record, "You Got It," where he levels a number of accusations at Jigga and even mentions Jay's girlfriend, Beyoncé.

Half the people in the streets are saying that Hov is too big to respond, that he's a CEO now, that he has nothing left to prove on the mic. After all, we've seen how he can slay opponents in battles. But the other half of the street talk says that Hov absolutely has to come back — Killa was just too disrespectful for Jay to let it ride.

It's a different story when it comes to the former rival Jay recently signed to Def Jam, Nas. The two are in business together and very possibly will be making music together — in fact, Hov says to bet on it. In an MTV News exclusive, Jigga tells Shaheem Reid about his current adversary's challenge, how his truce with Nas came about, and his reaction to Cam'ron's allegations about Jay's former business partner, Dame Dash.

MTV: We haven't even gotten through the first month of the year, and it's already starting — everybody is talking about you and Cam, you and Nas.

Jay-Z: Let's start off with the Nas sh--. I think that's more historical. I think this is Cam sh-- is gonna blow over once his album drops.

Jay-Z and Nas, Madison Square Garden, New York, October 2005    
MTV: OK. When you and Nas appeared onstage together in October, I was expecting a deal to be announced soon after. But it's taken awhile.

Jay-Z: It took more to work out because he has another album left with Sony, so we just wanted to work with Sony. [The unusual deal finds the two labels collaborating on Nas' next two albums, the first of which is expected to be released in the fall.] We didn't want to make them look bad or nothing like that. It was a delicate deal. He's one of their most important artists.

MTV: Where is Nas at with you, personally and artistically?

Jay-Z: There's a respect there. With respect anything is possible. But you can't just sit down with somebody and be like, "We're best friends!" That's high school. But we're building with that. We kick it and everything, everything is cool. As far as where he's at artistically, I think he's ready to make the album of his life. He feels like he's in a position right now where he can do it. He can go all the way.

MTV: Obviously you guys had been talking before the concert — people even saw you two laughing and joking at Baseline Studios. What was the icebreaker that brought you together?

Jay-Z: That was Mark Pitts, who used to manage Biggie and now manages Nas. He arranged that meeting. He's a friend of mine and he came to me and said, "Will you sit down with Nas?" I said, "Yeah, no problem, of course," because like I said, there's always been a respect thing. I'm sure he probably went to Nas and said, "Would you sit down with Jay?" He probably Don King'd the whole thing. I didn't even ask him that. [He laughs.]

MTV: We talked to Memphis Bleek recently, and he said the concert in October was the first time he'd ever seen Nas in person. He also said that if he'd had the opportunity to sit and talk with Nas before the battle, there might not have been a battle. Do you feel the same way?

Jay-Z: Absolutely.

MTV: Is there a collaboration between you and Nas coming?

Jay-Z: We gonna be in the studio working, so we'll see what happens. I just don't want to do nothing forced. I been through that before with Best of Both Worlds [his two collaboration albums with R. Kelly]. I just don't want to do nothing just [to do it]. But I'm telling you, we're gonna be in the studio and I'm sure the vibe is going to be right. If I had to place some money on it — and I'm a betting man — I would bet on it.

MTV: Who would produce that? You have so much talent on your team: Just Blaze, Kanye.

Jay-Z: I'm going to my team first: I'm going to Kanye, Just. Then I'm reaching out: Timbaland, Dr. Dre, DJ Premier. I'mma give everybody a shot, new producers. I'm accustomed to working with new dudes who got that sound. Hopefully we'll find a new Kanye, a new Just. But I'm going to Just and Kanye first.

MTV: The question was about just one song, but it sounds like you two could do a whole album together.

Jay-Z: Nah, it ain't a [Jay and Nas] album.

MTV: What about a Jay album? It would make sense for you to come back out this year. It's been 10 years since your debut, Reasonable Doubt. [Jay's debut LP] dropped. All your collaborations last year were killer, and you said the retirement would be for two years — we have it on tape, you said "two years." Well, it's been two years — nobody can say you're not a man of your word.

Jay-Z: [He laughs.] We're [Def Jam] coming up with so much good sh-- at the start of the year — I ain't gonna lie, I don't want to miss it. We got so much going on, I'm focused on the team and making sure everybody is focused. I'm not even thinking about [putting out an album] right now. But for a second I was like "Damn, I can't let all this good sh-- pass me by. I want some."

MTV: So let's get to Cam. You said you're torn about whether or not to respond to his dis record, "You Got It."

Jay-Z: That sh-- is trash.

MTV: Nobody was really surprised that Cam dissed you. From the outside looking in, it looked like the two of you never really vibed. Has there been animosity between you two for some time?

Jay-Z: I don't really think about it like that. I never thought about it as a problem. It's like, "You don't know me, I don't know you." It didn't cross my mind. I wasn't stuntin' it like, "I got a problem with Cam." I just didn't think about it.

Jay-Z, Freeway, Cam'ron and Juelz Santana    
MTV: One of his accusations is that you blocked him from an executive position at Roc-A-Fella years ago, after Dame offered it to him. Do you think that what's led to this?

Jay-Z: He also said he wasn't gonna take the job because he wanted such-and-such amount of money. I really don't think it was anything. He has an album and a movie coming out and he wanted some attention. You can't say it's because I put the kibosh on the [Roc-A-Fella] presidency and then say, "I wasn't going to take the presidency because they didn't offer this amount of money."

MTV: There was so much speculation about who you were going to dis when you announced the "I Declare War" concert last year. Were the Dips people you were going to go at?

Jay-Z: When I went into the "I Declare War" sh--, I was half joking, half making a statement. Maybe I would have some fun. I didn't really have anybody in mind. It wasn't something I was really sitting home thinking about, plotting and planning. Then, later, I was like, [bringing Nas out] — that's way more interesting than pulling out the Summer Jam screen. I did that already.

MTV: Cam kind of put Dame in the middle of this because, on the song, he says he's riding on you for what you allegedly did to Dame. Then in an interview with Hot 97, he said that Dame told him you were looking for photos of the Dips and information to use at the "I Declare War" concert.

Dame Dash and Cam'ron at Cam's press conference, 01.25.2006    
Jay-Z: To be honest with you, that's the most surprising thing. That [Cam dis record] is bullsh--, but [the situation with Dame], that is like, wow. It's shocking.

MTV: So were you looking for dirt on the Dips?

Jay-Z: I don't know about that. Like I said, I'm still in shock about [Dame]. That's just crazy to me.

MTV: Have you and Dame talked about it? Do you plan on talking about it with him?

Jay-Z: Nah. Nah. I'm still in shock, to be honest with you.

MTV: Earlier you said you were torn, but a lot of people have been getting at you: Cam, Jim Jones, Prodigy from Mobb Deep. Are we going to hear a "Takeover 2," where you just address everybody?

Jay-Z: Sh--. I'm not in that space. But at the end of the day, I'm a man first — and before I'm a CEO, I'm a MC. It is what it is. At the end of the day, I'm too far advanced for these dudes. [He laughs.]

http://www.mtv.com/bands/j/jay_z/news_feature_012506/index.jhtml

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »
Producer Jay Dee Dies of Liver Complications

Hip-Hop producer/MC Jay Dee, also known as J Dilla, has reported passed away earlier today (February 10) in a hospital in Los Angeles, due to liver complications.

The beatmaker (born James Yancey) has been sick for an unspecified amount of time. Last year at this time SOHH.com learned that Dilla was hospitalized after rumors were spreading that he was in a coma.

Dilla, who was a founding member of Slum Village and a member of A Tribe Called Quest's production team The Ummah, is best known for producing tracks for Busta Rhymes, Common, De La Soul, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, and The Pharcyde.

Dilla has more recently worked with Ghostface Killah, Kanye West on Com's critically acclaimed album Be, as well as Champion Sound with fellow quirky producer Madlib.

Besides Donuts, Jay's latest album which was released earlier this week, he also released another solo LP, Welcome To Detroit, in 2001, and has another album dropping later this year on Stones Throw Records.

Longtime fan Pharrell of The Neptunes, has gone on record calling Dilla one of his "favorite producers of all time."

Jay Dee will be sorely missed. SOHH will be sure to provide you with more information as it becomes available.
http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/8330

Rest In Peace J. Dilla  :cry:

Offline Roary

• Member+
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
R.I.P man!

Do you want my candy?!?

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
U-God, No Trivia

One of the founding members of the Wu-Tang Clan, U-God personifies what an emcee dreams to be. Rooted in the history of the culture, apart of something bigger then themselves and wiser through time and experiences. Though not all things in his career have been positive, business has created a rift between once good friends, lack of credit for contributions to the game and the shaft for other artists. Through it all, he may be sour, but he has a good natured intent at heart. Willing to put it all out there on his sleeve , U-God takes us inside the mind of "Mr. Xcitement."

First, I gotta say thank you, back when I had Shoalin Style on Playstation, I would kick ass with you, break everybody down.

Haha!

The album has been out, how do you feel it's been accepted by fans?

I'm in the clear man I don't really care, haha. You think I really care about what people think or how they feel about my music? I'm doing something new, I just put out two albums without Rza being involved in my album. That's a goal I set for myself. As far as me developing as an artist, time will tell. I'm not really concerned our situation as ya'll people in the media are concerned with. I'm not concerned with ratings in magazines, I'm not concerned with any of that shit cause a lot of ya'll dudes rate albums and albums come out successful so it's like your opinion is like an asshole, everyone's got one.

So if I were to say I liked it, which I did, would that be a bad thing?

Well, I'm saying, that's your opinion, I know a lot of people coming back and forth at me, with their opinions on the album, you just happened to be one of the open minded dudes, I guess. That's what it is. As far as the overall view of the album, it's selling, it's out there, it's out there jigglin'. About to put the video out, bout' to hit the waves, it's gonna hit whatever, whatever, whatever. As far as what it's gonna do, I don't know, but I'm not gonna stop, I'm still gonna put out albums, I'm getting ready to put out an EP in another couple of months, so I'm just gonna keep hitting ya'll. If you look at my track record, you can see my exposure with Wu-Tang hasn't been that great, it's not my fault, it's the person who was running that shit, which we all ready know who that is. I had a situation of, he's telling me he's responsible for my career, now he's telling me he don't wanna be responsible for my career, I had to take my career into my own hands.

By "he" do you mean Rza or someone else?

Naw, it's Rza, that's the one who's controlling my career. Rza is the one controlling everyone's career really. To me, he just didn't represent me good enough in my career. He's more or less worried about his own self or whatever he's fucking worried about. He wasn't worried about my shit, that's why dudes are out here like me doing it up right now.

So there are some problems with Wu-Tang on a business level, a person level?

It's a little bit of both, you got cats like Rae, Ghost and Meth and Genius who's always exposed. Then you got Me, Masta Killah and Deck, who ain't get no exposure. So if you take the track record, me and Deck, we the jump off dudes, we the dudes that lead, soon as you hear the track we come in the door but we're not getting as much exposure and right now in my career that's fucking me up cuz dudes don't really respect me like that. So then I go out and get my respect. Meanwhile, Rza, he wanna put out Sun of Man, he wanna put out these dudes, all these other dudes I don't even know from a fucking hole in the ground before the dude even came out with a record, but as time goes on I got to know a couple of my brothers Prodigal Sun and certain people I got respect for, but at the same time, he ain't making good decisions, to me, that's just my opinion. He ain’t make good decisions and he ain’t do certain things he ain’t supposed to had did. He said Wu-Tang was gonna drop an album and it was gonna go in a circle, ready to roll. But as you turn around and look at it, the same dudes kept coming with the same albums. Rae, Ghost, Meth, Rae, Ghost, Meth, Genius. The same dudes! I feel like I was not apart of it, I wasn't gonna be a part of doing what I want to do. We all came in this rap game to be starts, eat, feed our children. It didn't go that way. In some peoples mind I felt they didn’t want me to become a star. They don't want me to become this so a n**** did something, it's time to take my career in my own hands, so here I am, 10-13 years later starting my shit like I'm starting all over from scratch again. I'm not bitter, but I learned a lot of shit. I learned from a lot of situations where, I can't trust nobody with my shit no more. I can't look to them to blow me up. I don’t feel like he can do the job I can do by myself.

What tracks do you feel really proud of?

"Long Time Ago", "Hit Em' Up", "Talking to You","You Don't Want To Dance", I got a couple on there man. The crazy thing about it is, that's the only thing. The reason that album came out like this, I have no money, I have no money to pay for samples, haha. If I had money to pay for samples man, my album would have came out 10 times more treacherous then what it sounds like now. I'm missing about 8 songs on the album that I had to put back on there that shouldn't have made the album, but the one's with samples, I couldn’t put em on there. I had to take them off and put the ones with no samples on there. That's not my best, I would say. But that's some good shit on there, don't get me wrong

Definitely

I'm definitely adventurous with my music, the way I had it the first time would of shook motherfuckas. It would of been no questioning it. I had more Wu orientated tracks that I'm known for having. But this time I couldn’t ut em on there so I was like fuck it I gotta put something on there anyways. But I'm still holding on to 70 fucking songs.

The song "Don't Love The Drugs" is very personal, what can you tell me about the track and how it came to be?

That story I put in front of it basically explains the situation. My life, before I became a rapper, I used to sell narcotics, I'm a convicted felon from a narcotics and firearms possession, check my record, I ain't glorifying, I'm just saying I'm official, real with it, that life's behind me. But the dude that was sitting around getting me all the customers, that was my dog he used to come up to me everyday. "I love the drugs and the drugs love me." So, when I heard my man finally kicked the bucket, I fucked around and said "you know what? I'm gonna dedicate one of the songs for my man who on the block and used to run the drugs with me." Over time, it turned into a drug rehabilitating song, that's basically the message. I'm a narcotic abuser too, I smoke a lot of weed, I drink a little bit, but that's as far as I go, back in the day it wasn't that, I was hooked on drugs too. I got taken off the heavier drugs and I'm down to the lighter ones, I got one little drug bad habit, marijuana. I managed to get out of the ghetto with one little bad habit, that's to smoke weed. In comparison to all the other people who didn’t make it, who are hooked on heavier drugs.

I think my favorite track is "Heart of Stone" where you have a part that goes like "The streets is like Satan, I'm from the Hill / Cuz people keep hating, cuz I score at will / Don't fuck with new n****s, I figured they wired / I set 'em on fire, like the name was Pryor." I just thought that was hilarious but it inspired my next question. What new emcees do you listen to right now?

Common Sense, that's the only dude that I probably would listen to. He's got substance in his rhymes, I like a dude that rhymes with substance, not about how much money he's got, like this 50 Cent, heterosexual ass n****, running around with all this damn money and he mad at the world. You a rich dude, fuck you still mad at everybody for? He just made a hundred million dollars, what the fuck you mad for? What's going on? You got out the hood, you got shot 9 times and you got on with ya self and you still mad?

I see ya point, he's getting a little prissy.

See now it's getting to the point you're getting pussy with it. Come on dude, then you tryna take Wu's style and for your own G-Unit. If there wasn't no Wu-Tang there wouldn't be no fucking Cash Money, there wouldn't be no Roc-a-fella, there wouldn't have been none of this other shit if there never would of been Wu-Tang man. There wouldn’t be no Ruff Ryders, none of that if it without a fucking Wu-Tang, we the ones who gave birth to the groups and we don’t get no motherfucker love? Yea we go through our own hell and I'm pretty sure that them dudes that's down with them clicks, they're gonna go through there own shit too. It look good on the outside, but internally, there's some other shit going on, trust me.

Well you see it today, No Limit, gone, Ruff Ryders, done, Roc-a-fella split up, State Property, done, G-Unit, beef.

G-Unit got beef internally?

Well, Game was in it, then he left and defected.

That was on some other shit though that we probably wont know until they fall apart. Everybody has it, what I learned is, when you in ya hay-day, ya in ya prime, you got the world in ya hands, people have a tendency to give n****s they ass to kiss. That's what Wu-Tang did and we learned out lesson from that, I just keep seeing the same dudes doing the same shit over and over again. They coming out of retirement, why they coming out of retirement? When you had the Roc popping and all that shit, it was all about you. But as soon as ya’ll n****s split, here come the sharks, to bite ya’ll n****s asses and pull you apart now. You trying to fight the forces that be by ya self now. It’s like, when dudes is on top, dudes need to be a little more humble wit themselves because after the top, ain’t nothing but going downwards man. Not many motherfuckers can stick around like us, even though we lost a member God rest Dead Dirty, we still here dog, we still here, the world is looking for us to come back to take this shit over again but if we don’t get our shit internally right and spiritually right, it ain’t gonna happen for us neither and that’s the shit I’m tryna say to my man Rza but that’s another story and that’s another time and after I finish having a little sit down and talk with the dude, come get another interview and I’ll tell you how it went. Haha!

It's been said that Wu Tang has been the best group in rap's history, consistently bringing good songs, will there ever be another group album?

As far as Wu-Tang, we’re trying to get that together now dog, I wanna get another album out. Me, I don’t like to lose, you talking to a motherfucker who’s a very bad competitor. I don’t like to lose that’s why I cant stand the fact of how my career is right now, that’s why im soured by a lot of shit. At the same time, yea we’re gonna try and get together another album, but , like I said ya man Rza, he’s gotta do a lot of things, he’s got to do a lot of soul searching. I done found myself, he has to find himself, he gotta realize who he really is because he be hiding behind a lot of dope dudes and I don’t think he knows who the fuck he is right now. Yea, he’s a 5%er, he wanna talk about he’s G-O-D an all this fly shit, but really, internally, I don’t think he knows who the fuck he is. Somewhere down the line he lost himself through all this shit, at one time he knew who he was. It’s easy to get ya spirit lost, in the midst of confusion, media, jealousy , envy, lust, pain and hate and egos and pride, you gonna lose yourself, you don’t know who you are no more. Then you gotta go back and try to find yourself in the midst of all that shit.

You mentioned being a 5%er, you’re still affiliated right? You ain’t quit did you?

We all 5%er, we ain’t never quit, you born black motherfucker. You are who you are.

Well you mentioned he was kinda gassed up saying he was G-O-D and all that.

Naw, see what I was saying about him being a 5%er I mean, he knows the truth about the world, but like I was saying, then you lose touch with yourself! I don’t care if he studies 120 degree lessons and knows that shit back and forth and you know how the White Man kidnaped up and brung us here in slavery you know somewhere down the line you lose yourself! In the midst of all that. You understand what I’m saying?

Yea, I understand.

I wanna say something, I don’t like talking to reporters man cause I can say something very fucking important and when I read the article the motherfucker come out twisted on some other shit cause they thought it was this and they thought it was that and it wasn’t right. That’s the reason I don’t like doing a lot of interviews with dudes. Cause they all twist my words and have me like the fucking villain.

Well I’ll tell you now, you check out this site, it’s my word, we do it quote for quote, no bullshit, this is it, nothing changed.

Well I’m happy you said that because I’m not saying the white dudes is 5%, cause once you become a 5%, you can’t deny knowledge, knowledge is with you forever. You can get lost along the way, a person can lose himself, they can become rich, powerful and famous, but they way you became powerful and famous is this. I’m not saying that’s what happened to Rza, I’m saying if you became this powerful and famous by stabbing n****s in the back and doing all this underhanded shit, by the time you turn around you ain’t got no more friends, you ain’t got no people who love you, you missing a lot of other shit, somewhere down the line, you lost yourself. You understand what I’m saying?

I do, I get what you’re saying

I’m not saying that’s what happened to Rza, I’m just giving you an example of how a person can lose themselves. You can have all the money in the world and be lonely as fuck, why? Because you sold your soul to get that and along the way you lost all your good friends, all the n****s that supported you and believed in you. Same thing with Ray Charles, remember in the movie, his man was taking from him because he fucked around and gave the other n**** better positions than him and this dude been down with the n**** since day motherfuckin’ one? He just gave up on him, that’s exactly what I’m saying about how a person can lose himself along the struggle.

http://www.nycnn.com/node/155

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2006, 11:22:02 AM »
"Well, he's done it again. Fishscale is yet another amazing but impossible-to-sell Ghostface album. It's the weirdest thing; he talks about how his career isn't popping off like it should, how he has Def Jam behind him now, how he's ready to go out and work himself to the bone promoting this thing, and then he goes and makes an album full of claustrophobically discordant coke-rap that will immediately scare away anyone who doesn't already love him. Only maybe three or four of the songs on Fishscale have actual hooks, and we've already heard two of them, "Back Like That" and "Be Easy." He's enlisted MF Doom for four or five tracks, and he's taken the absolute weirdest stuff Doom had to offer, dizzy and stormy and cluttered things. There's an amazingly strained and urgent Just Blaze banger, just a mind-bendingly great song, but it's not going to get Ghost's crazy ass on 106 & Park anytime soon. His one concession is "Back Like That," which will probably get some rotation just like "Tush" and that Bulletproof Wallets song with Carl Thomas, but it's not going to turn him into a star overnight.

Other than that one song, Fishscale is Ghost's most aggressively weird album since Supreme Clientele. The frenzied lyrical free-association has almost disappeared (though there is this one insane song about being underwater I'll talk about later), but it's musically his most dense and fiery work, and there's a good chance it'll end up being my favorite album of the year. The entire Wu-Tang Clan appears altogether on one song, the apocalyptic banger "Nine Milli Brothers," all of them getting a couple of bars (including a posthumous ODB), and all of them sounding great. An uncharacteristically low-key Raekwon shows up on a few tracks, as does a wildly reanimated Cappadonna ("AKA the cabriver" he says at one point) and a quickly improving Trife. Ghost's son SG, who rapped a bit at Ghost's October BB King's show, gets a verse; he sounds like an average young NY mixtape rapper, which is more than anyone could've expected. And beyond that, there are no guest rappers, just Ghost going hard throughout, lovingly describing crack-selling memories and women standing at bus stops and, like, child abuse (the Jay Dee track "Strap" finds him nostalgic about getting his ass beat).

The album flows beautifully, the one weak track ("Charlie Brown") buried near the end and "Be Easy" and "Back Like That" working perfectly in context. One song, "Big Girl," is a slightly dubious story-track about telling women to get their act together and stop getting high, but it's told with enough humane grace that it doesn't sound condescending, at least not on first listen. The first two tracks, gun-talk memories both, are nearly as strident as "Run." Other, later tracks are simply gorgeous, built from the same dusky soul samples he used through much of The Pretty Toney Album. On first listen, it seems pretty much predestined that Ghost is going to remain a critics' favorite and nothing more; that's fine with me, even if it isn't fine with him.

Keep in mind, though, that I've only heard this album once, and I heard it last night at a listening party. I'd been avoiding these things since I moved to New York; this was my first. The idea always kind of grossed me out: record companies so paranoid about music critics bootlegging their shit (whatever) that they refuse to send out promo copies and instead invite everyone into a studio so they can schmooze around and half-listen to the album while it plays on really expensive speakers. It turned out to be really fun, though, all full of writers (many of whom I know) and Def Jam intern-types, everyone sitting on really uncomfortable metal folding chairs and crowding around tiny white tables, eating free food (slightly stale fried coconut-shrimp and some kind of really spicy Jamaican chicken-wings) and drinking free booze (Bacardi with pineapple juice is nasty; Bacardi with blue Powerade is amazing). You go through metal detectors and through hallways full of posters of Beyonce and Aerosmith and Harry Connick, Jr. and Beyonce again, into a room with red lights and crinkled-up strips of cloth hanging on the walls. The best part was the DVD they showed Ghostface explaining all the songs. Apparently the artists often show up to these things, but Ghost was on the Wu-Tang tour, so he taped this thing instead. It worked out great; he wouldn't have opened up much if he was looking this room full of people in the face, but he did when he was talking into a camera: "Please people, just listen, listen carefully ... I don't want y'all checking y'all cell phones, ordering pizza and shit." He went into a surprising amount of detail about putting songs together: "If there's a wack n**** out of four n****s, usually you'll put that n**** (long pause) third." In one truly stunning moment, he talked about the album's final song, which is about being underwater, seeing mermaids and Spongebob and the necklace from Titanic, everyone eventually going to a mosque and praying. Just hearing this song is a total mindfuck; seeing Ghostface explain it is even more so. So maybe all this stuff made me like the album more than I would've otherwise, but I don't know. It's pretty fucking great."

PROPS: VILLAGE VOICE

Ghost is that dude :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »
"Ghostface Killah's Fishscale comes out on March 28 on Def Jam, and as the flashy king of slanguage tells it, he and Island/ Def Jam chairman L.A. Reid did not meet under the best circumstances but they have a relationship that works.

"He caught me in the hallway barkin'," Ghost said recently in New York. "N---as on the streets was telling me that they didn't know my last album, Pretty Tony, was out. I wasn't barking on L.A., but I was barking on [some employees]. Reid heard the commotion, came out of his nearby office and asked Ghostface what the problem was and how could he help.

"I had to tell him, 'I'm a live n---a. They treating me like a bird," Ghost explained. " 'I'm a legend. This is what I do. This is how I eat.' "

"He was like 'Yo, I'm new here too. I'm trying to make it work, too. But I'm glad you can come out and talk to me because that's what I need,' " Ghostface continued. "He likes to have a relationship with the artists, and that was the best thing any executive ever [said]. Then when I started visiting him on the one-on-one tip, he made a n---a feel like family. "

Pete Rock, MF Doom and the late J Dilla are among the Fishscale producers that Ghost hasn't worked with before.

"I didn't get no tracks from RZA," Ghost said. "RZA was doing his thing and I took it like I'm messing with a bunch of new n---as. I had RZA all my life."

Even though there are no RZA beats, Ghost said the whole Wu-Tang Clan, including ODB, are all featured on the Fishscale LP. Ghost's next album, on the other hand, might just be a collaborative effort between him and Doom. The two met while Ghost was on the Projekt Revolution tour with Linkin Park. Someone slipped Ghost a MF Doom beat CD, only it wasn't labeled MF Doom — it had the mysterious Metal Fingers name.

"I didn't know who Metal Fingers was," Ghost remembered. "So my manager was like, 'I'm gonna find him,' and it turned out to be MF Doom.

"He's a soul baby. He loves good loops," the hip-hop Ironman said. "Him, Mad Lib, they all in that camp. I got some beats from Mad Lib too, but I didn't use them yet. But Doom, he's a underground warrior. They love him for his beats, lyrics, everything. Being in the studio, he knows what I like. We are almost the same n---as. We are almost the same soul babies. I like to be different. I like a few beats n---as is putting out now, but I like old hip-hop. He's got a lot of that sh-- in his box and in his heart and soul."

Ghost says he's already recorded five or six records for the duet album with Doom and plans to do at least three more records with him for the project. There is no word yet on which label will release the album or when it will be out."

From MTVNEWS.COM

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »
"I just came back from hearing the new Ghostface album and shit was bananas. All ya'll loyal Ghost fans will not be disappointed. This is on some "Supreme Clientele" shit people.

He's got a joint with Just Blaze called "The Champion" with a sample from Rocky - yes, Rocky. Blaze intros the track with Roc's coach Mickey yellin’ and spitting his signature shtick ( in the vein of "I want you to eat lightning and shit thunder) followed by some Blaze ridiculousness. Amazing.

You also get your first taste of MF Doom and Ghost's chemistry. Over Doom's comic book inspired loops Ghosts imagination is allowed to run wild. This means Spongebob is slappin' bitches while riding around in a Bently, underwater, and all that. You get the point.

On top of that there’s two dope J Dilla (RIP) tracks, both from Dilla’s Donuts (“One for Ghost” and “Hi”) and two Pete Rock beats. One of the Pete Rock joints, probably my favorite beat on the album, (called “All in the Family”) has Ghost rhyming alongside his son, and Raekwon. (Yes they are keeping Wu Tang money all in the family).

Don’t be fooled by Ghost’s new single... the album is ill. I can’t wait to really hear it in my headphones."

http://blogs.sohh.com/nyc/archives/2006/02/first_look_ghostfaces_fishscal.html

Fishscale is starting to look insanely good :shock:

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: thatonezombie - Mini`s Birthday Present 5-31-09