JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ito Yuna - Precious

Author Topic: The Official Reggae Thread  (Read 13588 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Official Reggae Thread
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:27:03 AM »
I can't be the only reggae head in here  8)

Aight let's get down to business. First of all i wanna say Rest In Peace Bob Marley. 25 Years ago to this day (May 11) he left this great earth due to cancer at the age of 36. He really put reggae on the map along with the rastafarian movement. I've always been a huge fan of the reggae as it has crossed over to rap and it also helps to have tons of Trinidadian & Jamaican friends who like the reefer.

Like I said, rappers tend to use a lot of reggae influences. See Ice Cube's "Wicked" from his "Predator" disc, as early 90s rap it was cool to insert a reggae cameo. blends this line as well, as he is of Jamaican descent.

Some recent big and hyped reggae albums:
Vol. 2 :: Ever Blazing  - Mick Boogie mixtape CD
Matisyahu (peep Masa's Downloads)
Sean Paul - The Trinity

Can't wait for Beenie Man's new disc. More Neptunes produced stuff but hey, who don't like "Boss Man" (I LOVE that video. the way he dances at the end). Matisyahu just has this wild vibe with him but I really am feeling Bob's son Damian Marley. RECOMMENDED "Road to Zion" feat. Nas

Offline Samuel L. Jackson

• Bad Mother Fucker
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 05:23:36 AM »

Desmond Dekker, the first Jamaican pop act to score a major hit in the UK, has died.

The singer died of a heart attack in London on Wednesday night. Dekker was 64 years old.

Born Desmond Adolphus Dacres in Kingston, on July 16, 1941, Dekker and his backing group the Aces (consisting of Wilson James and Easton Barrington Howard), had the first international Jamaican hit with Israelites. Other hits include 007 (Shanty Town), from 1967, and It Mek (1969).

Orphaned as a teenager, Dekker began working as a welder, singing around his workplace while his coworkers encouraged him. In 1961, he auditioned for the late Coxsone Dodd at Studio One and Dodd's archrival, Duke Reid at Treasure Isle. Neither was impressed by his talents, and Dekker moved on to Leslie Kong's Beverley's label, where he auditioned before Derrick Morgan. With Morgan's support, Dekker was signed but did not record until 1963, because Kong was reportedly waiting for the perfect song. That came in the form of Dekker's Honour Your Father And Mother.
The song was a hit and Dekker followed up with Sinners Come Home and Labour for Learning. It was at this time that he changed his surname from Dacres to Dekker.

His next hit, King of Ska, on which he was backed by the The Cherrypies (also known as The Maytals), became one of his early signature tunes and remains well-known among ska fans.

Until 1967, Dekker's songs, including Parents, Get Up Edina, This Woman and Mount Zion. were polite and conveyed mainstream messages. In that year, however, he appeared on Morgan's Tougher Than Tough, which marked the beginning of the rude boy craze. Dekker's own songs did not go to the extremes of many other popular tunes, though he did introduce lyrics which resonated with the rude boys, starting with the aforementioned 007 (Shanty Town). The song established Dekker as a rude boy icon, and helped him become a leading figure in the British mod scene.

Dekker continued with songs in the same vein, such as Rude Boy Train and Rudie Got Soul, as well as continuing with his previous themes of religion and morality in songs like It's a Shame, Wise Man, Unity, It Pays, and Sabotage. His Pretty Africa is among the earliest popular songs to promote repatriation.

Israelites, released in 1968, appeared on both the US and UK charts, eventually topping the latter and peaking in the Top Ten of the former. He was the first Jamaican performer to enter US markets with pure Jamaican music, but he never managed to repeat in the US. That same year saw the release of Beautiful And Dangerous, Writing On The Wall, the Jamaica Festival song winner Intensified [Music Like Dirt], Bongo Girl and Shing a Ling.

At the end of the 1970s, Dekker signed with Stiff Records, a punk label linked with the Two-Tone movement, a fusion of punk and ska. He recorded an album called Black & Dekker, which featured his previous hits backed by The Rumour, Graham Parker's backing band. Dekker's next album was Compass Point, produced by Robert Palmer. Though that album did not sell well, Dekker remained a popular live performer, and he toured with The Rumour.

Only a live album was released in the late 80s, but a new version of Israelites reawakened public interest in 1990, following its use in a commercial for the audio recording products maker Maxell and on the soundtrack for the 1989 movie Drugstore Cowboy. He re-recorded some old singles, and worked with The Specials for 1992's King of Kings, which used hits from Dekker's musical heroes, including Derrick Morgan.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/6855.html

Peep the Official Site: http://www.desmonddekker.com/

IN THEATERS AUGUST 18 2006

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 10:04:13 PM »
Anyone heard of Yasmin 'Queenz' Deliz?? I just saw this ad in a mag and thought she was hot :P

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: The Official Reggae Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
A little TRIS-CHAN told me she be going to: http://reggaerising.com

I await her report :P

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:35:22 PM »
Here's a reggae remix of Britney's Womanizer :finland:

Britney Spears - Breaktime Womanizer (Maasto Refix)
http://sharebee.com/215be83f

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
^ XD Not bad tho!!

Concubine Riddim Mix by Dj Ozone - Beenie Man TOK Mr Vegas Elephant Man Vybz Cartel Psycho!!!
http://sharebee.com/c0baf582

Nearly 10 minutes long :pimp:

New movie covers the THE RETURN!! ROCKSTEADY:
Rocksteady The Roots Of Reggae Trailer

Their "The Tide Is High" was covered by Blondie and Atomic Kitten before Kardinal Offishall sampled it on this year’s hip-pop track Numba 1.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:27:40 AM »
i'm a fan of like... that the old school island feel reggae. not sure what to call it

Stuff like Bitty Mcclean - Don't Walk Away From Love
Bitty Mclean- Walk Away From Love

That jamaican chillin ones.  IF anyone can recommend me some please do! =)
word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:56:42 PM »

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:44 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
ORIGINAL BLOOD CLOT BAD BOYS!!! :pimp:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:21:55 AM »
Yeaah. Elephant Man!!

you can hear him on Kardinal's remix of CLEAR

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
Every reggae thread needs some Bob :yep:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:20:40 PM by L-san »
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:56 AM »