JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sparta Locals - Rock & Honey

Author Topic: Grabbin' Peelz! (Official Left 4 Dead Thread)  (Read 45934 times)

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Grabbin' Peelz! (Official Left 4 Dead Thread)
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:56:54 AM »

Left 4 Dead is a co-operative survival horror first-person shooter video game. It was developed by Turtle Rock Studios,
which was purchased by the Valve Corporation part-way into development. The game uses the Source engine, and is
available for Windows and the Xbox 360. The game went gold on November 13, 2008, and was released on November
18, 2008, in the United States; and on November 21, 2008, in Europe to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the release
 of Half-Life.

The game pits four people—appropriately called the Survivors—of an apocalyptic pandemic against hordes of the Infected,
zombie-like aggressive infected people. There are three game modes: a single player mode in which allied characters are
controlled by AI; a four-player, co-op Campaign mode; and an eight-player Versus mode. In all modes, an AI, dubbed
"The Director", controls level pacing and item spawns, in an attempt to create a dynamic experience and increase replay value.

Left 4 Dead was well received with an aggregate score of 88% on Game Rankings and 89% on Metacritic upon its release,
with praise given for its replay value, focus on cooperative play, and movie-like experience. As was done with Team Fortress 2,
Valve intends to supplement the game with downloadable content

Surprised no one's made a thread about this masterpiece yet.  I play it all the time, and it seems like more and more of the people I know are joining in on the action.  Drop in a line if you want to find some JPH!Psters to play with, share some stories or screenshots, or let us see some awesome L4D movies.

Here's a hilarious clip I found for you guys:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:00:43 AM by LaJon »

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Re: Grabbin' Peelz! (Official Left 4 Dead Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:12:30 AM »
hehe I played it a few times when it came out, never actually played it all the way through either.
I kinda got bored though, I know lots of people like it and it does seem like a cool game but for me I get frustrated by the smallest things and just quit and go play TF2

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
hehe I played it a few times when it came out, never actually played it all the way through either.
I kinda got bored though, I know lots of people like it and it does seem like a cool game but for me I get frustrated by the smallest things and just quit and go play TF2

Yar.  Because there's so much emphasis on team play, you really need to play with friends to make sure your teamates don't suck.  Cause if they do, you just can't win no matter how good you are individually.

Offline limitbreaker02

• Quiet Lowkey Mofo
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Lovey Dovey ~
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:37:24 AM »
I think a few of us play or have played it. I have it for the 360. Would like to beat it on expert if you're on the 360 too.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:52:53 AM »
I think a few of us play or have played it. I have it for the 360. Would like to beat it on expert if you're on the 360 too.

PC version for me.  I've done 2/4 campaigns on Expert with some friends of mine.  The twist is they all live in Australia, so my ping is around 330-350, which makes things very interesting since there's so much of a delay on the hits/kills and people are teleporting all around you.   :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:06 PM »
Played it for 2 weeks nearly everyday now and have yet to finish a campaign :lol: Most of the time, the players I join with are generally sound guys, who want to play it the right way. But there's at least 1 person who plays it like Rambo and just lets the team down as a result. And I'm not talking about if they're playing poorly, that could happen to anybody, hell I'm still getting to grips with the maps. I'm talking constantly shooting teammates, not healing others or reviving players. Just yesterday on Death Toll, we were at the Finale waiting for the boat to arrive and after surviving nearly 3 hordes and 2 tank ambushes, 2 of our guys were dead and I was down on the ground incapicated. What do you think the other player does? Chase after a Boomer. Consequently, he was grabbed by a Smoker. Idiot. I was 3ft away, if he just revived me we could have finished the campaign.

But just playing through L4D is so worthwhile. The gore, the scares, the fact that everybody gets nervous when a Witch is near, the B-horror movie vibe. It's really all good.

Offline limitbreaker02

• Quiet Lowkey Mofo
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Lovey Dovey ~
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:58:21 AM »
Does the PC version have votekick?

I get nervous when a witch is near because I wonder if my other teammates are going to shoot at her. Same goes for people who don't melee boomers first before killing them close range.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:22:15 AM »
Does the PC version have votekick?

I get nervous when a witch is near because I wonder if my other teammates are going to shoot at her. Same goes for people who don't melee boomers first before killing them close range.

Oh yeah it does.  As for witches, I've got crowning down to a science, so I just run up and drop her the MOMENT I see her.  Give the infected time and they'll setup next to her and try for an accidental hit or, even better, to melee her when you get too close so that she jumps the nearest person.

On a side note, I played the other day and this guy was on the mic the entire time screaming about every little thing that happened and just generally being an idiot.

"HAY, HAY GUYS.  GUYS.  IS FRIENDLY FIRE ON? IS FRIENDLY FIRE ON?"
- he starts shooting me -
"HAY IS FRIENDLY FIRE ON???"

I swear you should build a rating when you play that game that shows how good you are, and then have the "Find a Game" put you with people at your skill level.  QuakeLive style.  Just one failhead and it makes it damn near impossible to get through to the safe room in Versus.

Also, here's a beautiful flowchart courtesy of VGcats.com:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:39:32 AM by LaJon »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
Hope anyone with a fear of going to the circus as a kid can lay them to rest because in Left 4 Dead 2, there are clown zombies.

Loser87

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »
swweeet! Can't wait for left 4 dead 2, had l4d but my friend took it ;T
Man I should get back all my games D:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »

Valve today revealed the third of five campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2, Dark Carnival, and Eurogamer popped round to the firm's Bellevue office to try it out.

We'll have a comprehensive work-up of what we saw soon, but in the meantime you probably want to check out the first screenshots of Dark Carnival, and hear about things like the new special infected, the Jockey.

The Jockey's a right pain in the neck, appearing out of nowhere and hopping onto one of the survivors' backs. He or she then loses control of movement, allowing the Jockey to steer the pair into dangerous territory, where other infected can pile on the damage.

It's particularly frustrating for the survivors when one of their number is caught straggling, because the Jockey can ride them further and further away from the main group, potentially costing the team even more vital time, health and ammo than, say, a Hunter could by pinning a wayward player.

Dark Carnival itself ("You must be this tall... TO DIE!") begins on a highway, as the survivors inch through and around abandoned cars in the direction of the Ferris wheel and candy stripes on the horizon.

Following a few close shaves and a descent down a slippery hillside (which the AI director saw fit to spice up with a tank - thanks for that), the survivors work through a two-storey motel complex, with roomed-up infected bashing chunks out of every door they pass to try and get at them, and then make their way into the carnival itself, full of infected-packed tents and stalls.
'Left 4 Dead 2's Dark Carnival unveiled' Screenshot 1

Dark Carnival joins The Parish and Swamp Fever on the L4D2 campaign list. I snuck a look at the others on the campaign menu when no one was looking, but am too polite to report on them. But: hot.

There's a new uncommon common infected to fight - you may remember the hazmat-wearing CEDA infected and riot police with Kevlar from previous reveals - dressed as a clown, who calls other infected over to him. At this stage there's also an Achievement for honking his nose, although these are subject to change.

Valve said that some of the parlor games at the carnival will actually work in the final version, and drew our attention to quirky touches like the peanut man cutouts (he has a nutty nemesis - moustachio) before we hit the climactic point of the two-stage Dark Carnival demo: the merry-go-round crescendo moment.

Waving our katanas, axes and the new electric guitar melee weapons around happily, we set this off, and discovered the goal was to run around it to reach the off switch and stem the growing (and indeed infinite) tide of infected that attack you as you try to do so. Again, the director felt the need to help out by depositing a Witch in our path. Whacking her with the guitar was an error.

There's a lot more to talk about - like the way the Jockey works with other special infected including the other new boys, the Spitter and the Charger, and the simple, immeasurable brilliance of adding proper gibs and limb-loss to the game's existing technical base - but we'll save that for the full preview, coming soon.

There was one other touch to note right at the end though - the classic between-level music you get as you swing the saferoom door closed has been spiced up for Left 4 Dead 2, with a different twist on it for each new campaign.

Check out our previous Left 4 Dead 2 hands-on for more. The game's out for PC and Xbox 360 on 20th November, but launching for Steam on 17th November.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/left-4-dead-2s-dark-carnival-unveiled

Jockey infected! Electric guitar! Interactive festival stalls! Achievement for honking the clown infected nose!

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 04:06:11 AM »
XD L4D 2 banned in Aus

So funny, lol from what I've read, everyone is really overreacting about the ban as well. Most likely it's something stupid like possibly drug use. But whatever, as if Valve is not going to fix it for us so we can play. I remember when Fallout 3 got refused and they had to change all the names of the drugs XD

Yaaay Australia, saving the Worlds gamers from taking up heavy drug use!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:17 PM »
Leaked L4D2 Trailer

Hot chainsaw action! Can't wait.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
Left4Dead (yep, the first) is on sale today on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/500/

A couple H!Psters own it already, get it too, and we can rock zombie scum together!! :jphip:

Offline kurashina

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
lol, i got addicted playing L4D 2 for a month and i had to quit for like, 4 months?
but now, i played again and im using steam for online gaming...
hella fun w/ those pros as your teammates :D

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
I now have L4D2, and it's still on sale on Steam for a little bit! http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

Zombies = DONE FOR 8)2

* Amplifier gropes flyp

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
I now have L4D2, and it's still on sale on Steam for a little bit! http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

Zombies = DONE FOR 8)2

* Amplifier gropes flyp

We must play ;o

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
2200 GETS

Also: played a bit with Flyp, and solo today. I had no idea what the changes were before playing, and it is so fucking awesome. Let's get more co-op action going on this bad boy! :hump:

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
Hellz yeah I got L4D2 yesterday. Let's play!

I don't know what I'm doing and shit, never played the first game. It's fun though. Ride them bitches with the jockey! hheeehaw!

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sparta Locals - Rock & Honey