JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Anita Mui - Dream Partner

Author Topic: Blink 182: the return  (Read 11736 times)

Offline Poetically Pathetic

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica
Blink 182: the return
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
It's official: With an introduction of "together again," Blink-182 confirmed that they are back in the Blink business at the Grammy Awards Sunday night (February 8 ) when they appeared onstage together for the first time in four years.

Emerging to sounds of their 1999 hit "What's My Age Again," bassist Mark Hoppus, drummer Travis Barker — wearing a sling on his injured left arm — and estranged guitarist Tom DeLonge walked out together, with Hoppus joking, "Isn't it great to see the Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder back together again?" after the unlikely pairing performed a medley of the Bros' "Burning Up" and Wonder's "Superstition." Barker added, "We used to play music together, and we decided we're going to play music together again," as DeLonge stood awkwardly to the side. Hoppus also yelled, "Blink-182 is back!"

The band's official Web site also confirmed the good news, with a banner that read simply, "Summer 2009." A message from the band explained, "Hi. We're Blink-182. This past week there've been a lot of questions about the current status of the band, and we wanted you to hear it straight from us. To put it simply, We're back. We mean, really back. Picking up where we left off and then some. In the studio writing and recording a new album. Preparing to tour the world yet again. Friendships reformed. 17 years deep in our legacy. Summer 2009. Thanks and get ready."

Hopes were high for the announcement when, on Thursday, it was revealed that the trio would be presenting an award at the Grammys. And they got even higher when Angels & Airwaves guitarist David Kennedy appeared to let slip in a Web chat that same day that Blink were going to record an album this year.

giggity.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
Re: Blink 182: the return
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:15:23 PM »
Mixed feelings. They quit when they were quite popular, I wonder if they'll ever get that status back.

The album could be cool though and it would be fun to see them live at least once in my life.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
[sarcasm]Wow, this is totally unexpected. Who would have thought that after quitting while they were a popular multi-million selling band they'd ever get back together again after their other pursuits bombed?[/sarcasm]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Not too bothered if they ever went back to playing again tbh. But good news for the fans.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »
Great news. It was sad to see them go when they actually released a really great album. Their old stuff was fun to listen to, but they're last one really showed their maturity as musicians.

When they split, you had one band that was just super emo, and another band that was fun, but just not very interesting.

Blink was a always a punk band who just happened to get famous because their music was really catchy, and easily relatable, when at the time most music was dominated by boybands and rappers rapping about money, hoes, and rims. I know that these guys aren't doing this for the money. Their individual acts didn't bomb. Angels and Airwaves first album was certified gold and praised by lots of people (though personally, I thought he was trying too hard to sound a certain way it turned me off). Well +44 didn't do as well(and I didn't like it that much, cause well, I'm not 13 anymore), but Travis Barker was still everywhere. They didn't reach the heights Blink did, but Blink was around for years, and was a major name, so I'm sure they weren't expecting it to be.

That whole, "they sold out" mentality gets me worked up, and one of the things I hate to hear the most. Even for bands I don't like.

I doubt they'd ever reach the same level they left with, but I'm kinda excited to hear what the new album will bring, cause a lot has changed since they were last together.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:39:42 AM »
AND THE CROWD GOES MILD!!!

:lol:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
I say YAY!  :otomerika:

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:39:08 AM »
I echo what sits said, pretty much. I was always a fan of blink, so I'm glad about this news

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Ping

• Hiatus King
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Reina <3 4Eva!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:46:51 AM »
I'm pretty happy about this. I loved blink when I was younger and I'm still unsure of Tom's relationship with Travis and Mark. So what happens to +44 and Angels & Airwaves? They were both pretty good bands compared to some others out there. This sounds good, and I don't really care if they sell well or not, it's just about what kind of music they put out. I hope it'll be something more interesting than some of the stuff that's getting put out there.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:53:49 AM »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 04:01:44 AM »
XD

That was my favorite song to play on guitar when I first started.

And I think the tall guitarist guy might be slightly retarded.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:06:21 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:25:01 AM »
Don't make fun of them Streak.

They're pouring their heart into that song.

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:37:46 AM »
the lack of a real bass player in that song saddens me

ANYWAYS...

Blink was the first band i was REALLY into and they'll always be my favourite which is why i'm glad to hear they're back, i hope the three of them are truly friends again seeing as tom was a bit awkward about it during the grammys(ies?)
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline Poetically Pathetic

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 06:52:22 AM »
I know their only kids and they're showing so much emotion in that clip but OMFG MY EARS  :bleed eyes: (and eyes apparently)

Anyway, I heard someone say in another forum that AVA and +44 would still be around even after blink starts touring/recording again.

How this will happen I don't know.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »
Well lots of people have semi-permanent side projects, though usually one is the main band. But in this situation I'm not sure what it is what to each of them. I think after this album or maybe while this album is being made or promoted, we'll see the fate of their bands.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »
I am happy they came back together but i am expecting a more mature sound again b/c of their lives

My favorite song is Untitled

I think of awhile ago
We might have had it all
But I was so stupid then
You needed time to grow

But now just as things change
As well my feelings do
In time things rearrange
I am so sick of chasing you

But what do I get 'cause I just seem to lose
You make me regret those times I spent with you
And playing those games as I wait for your call
And now I give up, so goodbye and so long

It's not a change of pace
This time I'll get it right
It's not a change of taste
I was the one there last night

You have your other friends
They were there when you cried
Didn't mean to hurt you then
Best friends just won't leave your side

But what do I get 'cause I just seem to lose
You make me regret those times I spent with you
And playing those games as I wait for your call
And now I give up, so goodbye and so long

It's not a change of pace
This time I'll get it right
It's not a change of taste
I was the one there last night

When I needed you most
When I needed a friend
You let me down now
Like I let you down then

So sorry, it's over
(Ahh...)

Blink 182 - Untitled (Live, Big Day Out 2000)
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline 1517

• Member+
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
:w00t: they came back...

my most favorite songs
- Carousel
- Dancing with My Queen
- Dysentery Gary
- Dumpweed
- First Date
- Mutt
- The Rock Show
- Untitled (& from The Mark, Tom & Travis Show/live version...Travis plays drums so fast  :O )

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
I like some of their older stuff.

Adam's Song
Don't Leave Me
Aliens Exist

Oh 1999.  56k modem, Dragon Ball Z everyday when I got home from school, and real media music videos at a whooping 4MB.  Here's two legendary DBZ music videos from back in that era featuring Blink songs:

DBZ - Don't Leave Me
DBZ - Adam's Song

God, I remember downloading those when they first came out back when I was in middle school.  Funny to look back and see how far we've come with video encoding.

Also, don't bother downloading real player to play those.  Get Real Alternative here: LINK

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
Haven't seen or heard any of the recent stuff, but their old stuff is pretty awesome.

Me playing ATST:

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
^ Nice Mang!

Kinda disappointed with the progress but I think they should be recording... I hope
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline 13

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • <3 Miyoshi Erika
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
I keep forgetting they are ''back''. :roll:

blink-182 were my favourites when I was young. My favourite song is Adam's Song, followed by Untitled + Carousel (the Buddha version intro so beautiful) + Dumpweed. And well, many others, enough were big favourites at times, and so. And oh! When You Fucked Grandpa is epic!

Never really really liked +44 a lot, nor Angel and Airwaves though they a bit more. I really like Boxcar Racer a lot! That was good. Elevator is my favourite song by them. With Mark! Yay!

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Anita Mui - Dream Partner