JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Goto Maki - kimagure

Author Topic: The Official Rap Thread  (Read 671305 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: The Official Rap Thread
« Reply #2140 on: February 24, 2013, 02:50:23 AM »
OH SHIT u knew smth grimey was gonna be on TAP with DECK!! yo who going to see Wu Block? they hitting up Canada tour, in TOWN TONIGHT!!!!! :canada: GHOST new shit is KILLAH no idea Adrian Younge is tho. better rip dat shit for HHH lol

Look out for some Killah Priest mix tape later via Baller Status!!

YO MOCHA!! dope ass mixes, just the vibe and flow so nujabes I dig it. Remember us when you sign with Da ROC!! :pimp:

This I am loling snoop what? lol “misses those Death Row days!“ http://instagram.com/p/WC7D94v9Af/

At least he's not 100% Snoop Lion and his gangsta side shows up. Lool check this webseries. da fuck XD

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2141 on: February 26, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2142 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »
HydeOut Pro released Luv Sic Grand Finale Part 6 on the death anniversary for Nujabes (today, feb 26)

word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2143 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »

The best thing Fiddy Fifty has done since Get Rich or Die Tryin' :thumbup :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2144 on: March 03, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »

AND I thought Fiddy couldn't top being rejected by Erin Andrews at Daytona 500 :lol:

werd

happy bday meth!

dope Hong Kong

Get Educated on THE WU

HONDA

new REDMAN

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2145 on: March 06, 2013, 07:30:41 AM »
fuck dis beat is ILL. Priest droppin dat flow

PRE-ORDER. I got the 2CD mini Ghosts comic (?) version, cassette WHOA FUCK.
http://soultemplemusic.bandcamp.com/track/the-sure-shot-parts-1-and-2

Chess is DOPE

For the lastest edition of FADER and Converse’s Brooklyn Bound, we sat down with legendary Wu-Tang MC, the GZA, who chose Greenwich Village’s The Chess Forum to talk about his love for the game of chess and how he got started playing. He also gave us the inside track on his upcoming Dark Matter album, a concept album he researched through meetings with Harvard and MIT physicists.

NEW WU. CONFIRMED.

2013 Gonna BE DA YEAR :yep: :pimp:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2146 on: March 10, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
ALLAH MATHEMATICS!!  :bow: dropping some new WU http://soundcloud.com/xzone1/mathematics-ft-raekwon-method

For the Wu-Tang Clan’s 20th anniversary year, Mathematics – Wu-producer and the Clan’s official DJ – drops the first single off his album The Answer, coming April 16th. Props to Rap Genius.

OH SHIT FRESH. The POSSE CUT of 2013 HS87 – Cypher f. ScHoolboy Q, Casey Veggies, Xzibit, Rick Ross, Method Man, Redman & Raekwon

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2147 on: March 13, 2013, 01:17:57 AM »

homies. this be gettin me chills. Mad Props PE going to the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame

The FUTURE.

it was cool. RAP BALLAD. O'Hene

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2148 on: March 13, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
LIVE from Flyp's hometown! SXSW livestream:

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (12:10 – 1am CST), Action Bronson (11:25 – 11:55pm CST), and Rockie Fresh (10:35 – 11:15pm CST)

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2149 on: March 15, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #2150 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
"If Fay' have twins, she'd probably have two Pacs. Get it? Tu-pac's?

I love how Biggie never really fed into the "beef." He just had fun with it.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2151 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »
No doubt. It's a shame that other people fed into it and, well, you know how that goes. Was listening to Reasonable Doubt from top to bottom earlier today when I posted... so good. Gonna run through 'The Chronic' now and listen to snoop and dre make magic.

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2152 on: March 17, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
^ Can it be all so Simple then!!

RAE get his H20 Peeps. inb4 Wu-Tang 20th Annie disc(s)

oh man did no one watch the Action Bronson at SXSW cuz the crowd sucked fuckin giving Hipsters and the city of Austin a bad name with such wack rap show watchin :lol: he went in the crowd and was like "Get off your phone!" then cut the set short LMFAO LEGENDARY!!!

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2153 on: March 23, 2013, 01:28:35 AM »
REPRAZENT!! :canada:

LMFAO Puffy #7.
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/music/best-new-york-hip-hop-the-50-greatest-nyc-hip-hop-artists?cp=2

Fuckin Srsly. We need to drop a Top 100 List, cuz fuck. If they can rank Mase ahead of Ghostface, you know someone is stupid.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2154 on: March 24, 2013, 03:56:13 AM »
Puffy is #7??

I'm a better rapper than Puffy. Seriously.

I won't knock his business skills because the dude is swimming in cash, but he has ZERO flow.

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2155 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39:54 AM »
it's pretty sad, for those who got into rap during the Puff Daddy Years, so all they see is Puffy and Mase acting a fool. Ice Cube said it right....new hip hop is garbage. he be on tour with PE, De La Soul and LL this summer...shit what I would do to see that show. LL may have lost a step in the studio but there's no doubt in my mind what he would with a mic and two turn tables.

Get READY GFK

Raekwon Brings Out GZA NEW WU CONFIRMED

AND THEN KARDI!! :canada:

FINALLY! New KARDI :canada: IllSmith (Kardinal Offishall x DoubleTime) – Wilin’

This caught my eye. Statik Selektah – Extended Play

with a LOADED guest appearances via 2dopeboyz On June 18th, we will see the release of what Statik is calling his “best album yet,” with the likes of Joey Bada$$, Action Bronson, Raekwon, Sean Price, Mac Miller, Black Thought, Noreaga, Lecrae, Lil Fame, Styles P, Mike Posner, Termanology, Freddie Gibbs, Bun B, Joell Ortiz, Pos of De La Soul, Talib Kweli, Troy Ave, Hit-Boy “and many, many more” making guest appearances.

What up Jeff?? he be in Seattle. http://www.theaudacityofdope.com/2013/03/19/dj-jazzy-jeff-on-sound-session/ This series is dope

up and coming NY MC, and yo. He's Chinese-American too. got some tight flow with soulful production, not just weed rhymin check it:

http://soundcloud.com/adrianlau

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #2156 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
it's pretty sad, for those who got into rap during the Puff Daddy Years, so all they see is Puffy and Mase acting a fool. Ice Cube said it right....new hip hop is garbage.

No...what's sad and garbage is that attitude.

I wasn't planning on saying much about that list, but I need to speak up on this. First and foremost, no matter what, a rap artist needs to be about making music, and every person on that list has succeeded in doing that in one way or another. You can disagree with a given message, get analytical about who is or isn't selling, or whine about whatever image or flash someone has or doesn't has, but if those are your primary barometers for what's good or bad then I have to question your priorities.

those who got into rap during the Puff Daddy Years

I'm insulted by this because I'm one of those people, in a way. I actually got into rap because of the pop acts, starting in the late '80s and early '90s with MC Hammer, Fresh Prince, Kris Kross, etc. and started taking it more seriously in the late '90s when Puffy was at his most visible. And you know what? I appreciated the path they paved for me, because through them I was able to explore more complex and lesser known artists through guest appearances and associations, and by simply coming from the same world of funky beats and rhythmic vocals. In the age before the internet there was no way I could've gotten into Nas or 2pac or Wu-Tang without someone setting a foundation for those guys to become big or likeable in the first place. We all have to start somewhere.

Puffy and Mase acting a fool

You're gonna have to define what "acting a fool" actually is. Is it because they dressed a certain way? Chose certain topics and subject matter for their verses? Had big budgets behind their videos? Came up in a way not approved by some old arbitrary standard? Factoring in those elements is one thing, but if you're outright dismissing any rapper solely on those elements then you need to delete your MP3s, turn off your CD player, and go do something else, because there's a good chance you might not actually care about music, the very thing any rapper worth their weight should be about.

Seriously, if I copped that mentality I wouldn't even be messing around with rap as much as I do. Throwback jerseys, '70s cars, all the misogyny/homophobia, nightclub suits, drugs, religion...I put up with all of that because I love the musical output, the connection to the flowing sounds and energy, relating not always to the actual topics but to the sense of emotion and vibe and swagger, trying to see where these performers are coming from. I actually don't like how Kanye West forgoes baggy clothes for Louis Vuitton and shit, yet he's one of my favorite music artists ever. I'm always down to bump the shit out of DMX and Ruff Ryders even if they sometimes come off as too brutish. Twista can rap about a lot of the same shit over and over but he'll still have my ears because of his beat selection and such an impeccable flow at any speed. I care about how rappers connect with their beats, how the sonic elements mesh with each other, how each person involved in a song accomplishes what they're trying to do. It's music. Methodical purity can still mean something, but intent and execution will and should always be more important.

new hip hop is garbage

This is just a horrible mentality to have. Trust me, I almost went down this path like 10 years ago because I was getting sick of all the imagery and materialism associated with guys like 50 Cent, but if I had gone all the way with it I wouldn't have discovered Kanye, or Lupe Fiasco, or Kendrick Lamar, or MGK, because there was a time when those guys were "new hip hop". I would've just been stuck in the past, feeding off the nostalgia of whatever was hot during my childhood, blindly dismissing anything that wasn't familiar or was too "trendy". But I made the decision not to go down that path, because in the end I still wanna nod my head and move my shoulders and just explore, no matter if it's mainstream or underground, American or foreign, white or black or any other race. So what if Mase danced/smiled funny? "Lookin' at Me" and "Get Ready" were smooth tracks. So what if someone like Drake started out as an actor and appeals to teenagers? He still killed it with "Forever" and on "Fuckin' Problems". And if you've never said a line as dope as "Real G's move in silence like lasagna", shut the fuck up about Lil Wayne (yes, Talib Kweli said that).

Plus Puffy's time as the mainstream face of rap was 15 years ago, what the hell does he have to do with anything new?

Now, getting back to the topic of Sean Combs, I too don't think he deserves to be in the top ten of that list, but come on, he still deserves to be on that list somehow. How the hell can you not deny his importance to hip hop, the positive impact he had? I mean, come on, he's the reason Biggie Smalls became as relevant as he has with the production and promotion they got going on...not to mention all the guest appearances and associations that led to arguably more talented rappers rising in prominence in the wake of Biggie's death. Plus even as a producer and artist he still deserves some respect: turning one of the lesser known Rocky themes into an epic, legendary beat known as "Victory", flipping David Bowie and Led Zeppelin songs into hip hop samples and actually making them work (yes, I loved "Come With Me" when it first dropped)...and even if he's not that great of an actual rapper he still shined on songs like [noembed][/noembed] and "Pain" with a sense of storytelling and imagination. Like I said, it's all about making music, and this guy knew how to make music.

I've been a hip hop fan for more than two decades, and I'm fucking proud of where it is right now. I love that I saw it rise from a niche trend to a worldwide phenomenon and was there for the whole ride. I love that there's so much variety in styles and subgenres, that anyone can rap about anything now. I love that pop music has become more beat/rhythm oriented because of hip hop's influence. Hell, I even love that anyone can pick up a mic and make something--even if it means actual bad rappers like Soulja Boy or Shawty Lo existing, that just shows to me that this truly is a music for any and all people, a genre with both accessibility and depth.

But you know what I don't love? People not treating hip hop as an actual form of music, simply a means to an end--and this includes purists who only want hip hop to be a certain way in order to be "real".
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #2157 on: March 26, 2013, 04:59:47 AM »
best rap song of the 2000's? yes, yes it was.  :P

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2158 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
I don't know if anybody posted this up yet. Black Milk's new single "Sunday's Best / Monday's Worst"

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2159 on: March 31, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »
^ AW SHIT! they back?!?! fuckin i loved the Roots on Fallon run they had

anyone cop dis??? FUCK i gotta get my dick on dis cassette!

After selling out the first edition of CZARFACE on CD, with the Pop-Up packaging, Brick Records has repressed the album in a new digi-pack case with altered front cover art. The new version also includes the "Rock Beast (Death Czar Remix)" which is not available on the initial CD pressing or on any other format.

Additionally, a remainder of the small run of CZARFACE cassettes made for the Boston record release party is now available for sale via GetOnDown.com. You can order the cassettes at- http://www.getondown.com/album.php?id=16216

A limited 7" record is also coming out the first week in April, containing two new tracks: "Czardi Gras (It's Raw Again)" feat. Action Bronson (a new DJ 7L remix of the album's "It's Raw") and "Wake Up Show Promo" which finds the CZARFACE MC's spitting lyrical homage about the legendary Wake Up Show hosts- Sway, King Tech, and DJ Revolution. The 7" record features an amazing full color sleeve featuring all new original artwork by L'Amour Supreme of Mishka, NYC. The 7" is available for pre-order at-http://www.getondown.com/album.php?id=16212

ALLAH Mathematics ready to drop his new joint, here's da teaser mix tape http://www.audiomack.com/album/distrolord/pre-lude-to-the-answer

Raekwon – To The Top f. Maino VISUALS

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Goto Maki - kimagure