JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Dear WOMAN

Author Topic: [Movie] Oldboy  (Read 8821 times)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Re: [Movie] Oldboy
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »
I don't think you can really comment too much on a script for a movie in a language you don't know, translations could do a lot. Never seen I Am Legend and that guy supposedly working on the screenplay really hasn't done much so I can't comment about him. As for the plot, you can't really say it'll get massacred just yet. You can say what you want about Speilberg, but there is no doubt that his movies almost always do well, rating wise and profit wise.

and I think Will Smith has proven himself as a serious versatile actor and can do something with this.

But I think if they were going to a remake of a Korean movie. The Host would be right up Speilberg and Smith's alley. You got epic monster movie director and a funny actor right there.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 12:30:39 AM »
But you don't need to remake The Host.  After you localize it becomes just another monster-runs-amok type movie.  If they want to make one of those they can do it cheaper without the remake license.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
Will Smith's Oldboy Stalled Due to Legal Fight Over Rights

Is it just mere coincidence that both the Akira and Oldboy remakes have been stopped? It was only late last year when DreamWorks announced that they were going to remake Park Chan-wook's Oldboy with Steven Spielberg and Will Smith. Fans were very upset, even after they learned that it would actually be a new adaptation of the graphic novel and not a remake of Park Chan-wook's movie. However, according to the Anime News Network, it might not happen after all. Futabasha, the Japanese publisher of the original Oldboy manga, is suing the Korean film production company Show East over the rights to remake the story.

Futabasha is suing to confirm the lack of a binding contract between the two parties, due to an alleged breach. Futabasha asserts that Show East violated its basic agreement with Futabasha, and thus nullified it, when Show East pushed for the production of a film remake with America's Universal Pictures. Show East signed its contract with Futabasha over film rights in September of 2002, and signed a second contract in December of 2003 that amended the original one to cover other materials.

In essence, without going into the legal details, it sounds like this is almost the Watchmen case all over again. One company thought they had the freedom to sell the rights off to Hollywood, but then another one claims they didn't have the rights (and can apparently prove this). But that doesn't matter, right? Because for most people, it's just great news to hear that this project has been put on hold, or potentially canceled, because of this lawsuit. Although there is always the chance that it could be resolved in a few months, re-negotiated, and put on the fast-track again. It's hard to predict the outcome. But we'll keep you updated!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/06/18/will-smiths-oldboy-stalled-due-to-legal-fight-over-rights/

:twothumbs

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 10:51:50 AM »
I rewatched Oldboy again for the first time in....oh... I wanna say 3 years? And I seriously don't see how they can remake such a crazy movie O_O

-O_sLaVe
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
Will Smith's Oldboy

WHAT IS THIS FUCKERY?  :tama-mad:  DNW.

In other news, Oldboy is on Comcast OnDemand in Free Movies.  :cow: 

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline borly

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
this movie was intense. clever writing and cinematography. it's got the kind of ending that you think about days, or weeks, after.

Offline khoonah

• ecchi
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:57 AM »
I'm so glad that the remake got halted... Hollywood would've just ruined another korean movie like my sassy girl...  :smhid

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »
So it looks like they went ahead with the plan to do an American version of the movie, directed by Spike Lee and starring Josh Brolin.

Notice how in the trailer, he sees a video of his grown-up daughter, meaning he now knows what she looks like.....meaning that they're not doing the original "big twist" that was such a major highlight of the original version.

Then again, they've also got Samuel L. Jackson in this, so it can't be all bad. :P

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Smap - Dear WOMAN