JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Vacance

Author Topic: Nanchatte Renai [25/7 - Bonus Ending: Full Circle]  (Read 63979 times)

Offline kRisZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ...shiawasekai...
Re: Nanchatte Renai [11/25 - Perhaps, Love]
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »
kRisZ: Well, prepare yourself. It gets worse here. -hands you box of tissues-

*takes and bows*

I only want her eyes to be on me. I want her to be with me. Ai thought fiercely. Possessively. The next thought fell in neatly, like the last puzzle piece that had been missing all this time.

I love her.

I only hope Ai won’t be too slow to process things and be too late and get spiraled down again because Reina leaving her apartment sounds fishy to me.

Offline aussie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
Ai finally admits to Risa the truth. Ai and Risa break up. Risa leaves. Reina comes in and tries to knock some sense into Ai. Ai is still trying to push Reina away. Reina is not happy. Reina and Ai gets interrupted by the phone. Reina leaves in an alarmingly swift manner. Ai is left behind to finally piece together the puzzle.........a little too late??

Took Ai long enough, though the way Reina left is making me think of all sorts of possibilities where Ai might not see Reina for a long time or something  :sweatdrop: I've been watching too many movies and K-dramas XD But I sort of want to see Ai be the one chasing after Reina, possible worried that something is not right with Reina or something. After which they can kiss and make up :D
And really re-evaluate her feelings. But I hope everything's all right with Reina. I don't like the way she left  :(

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:14:30 AM by aussie »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2009, 04:58:14 AM »
Ai has hit a wall and now she has to see how will she take on it.

Reina is sort of the mature person in this situation, good for her though

keep up the work Estrea
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2009, 05:13:30 AM »
Still more unanswered questions, but I'll wait.

I refuse to convert to RenAiism, but I'll still read and even (reluctantly) enjoy your stories. Though that doesn't stop me from looking up a certain Piratey Takagaki perv from long ago, lol.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
Looks like you can improve some more! lol

I was chuckling throughout this chapter. :lol:  *evil laughs*

Hmm... about Ai's thoughts... how they relate to someone I know....

Offline alwaysYou

• Aigaki<3 and AiReina<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Defeated by Aichan..Forever Lovely Aichan..<3
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
have gakisan really give up?
i somehow doubt she will just leave aichan like this..
especially when she knew that aichan is in denial within hers and reina relationship..
kind gakisan wont do it huh..

so, it's really like what i think at first when the previous chp mention that aichan seem to be afraid when she is sleeping..
WHO THAT IDIOT!!! :angry:
geee, i love how aichan is so protective to reina..and at the same time falling in love but keep think she doesnt worth to reina cause she is "dirty"..poor aichan :cry:
kinda feeling the pain and those struggle in her.. :cry:

and reina, dont walk away like this.. :cry:
dont make reina give up on aichan too..
you making this 2 look so pathetic.. :lol:

now i wanna know will gakisan and reina know what happen to aichan in the past anot..
if reina knew it, ya, that bastard will die.. XD

next chp!!! 8)

Offline amEthystx

• The Bishop NI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »
Him - this word is quite a shocking word to me in regard to this story.. never thought a him might pop out LOL~

I only want her eyes to be on me. I want her to be with me. Ai thought fiercely. Possessively. The next thought fell in neatly, like the last puzzle piece that had been missing all this time. I love her.

- Finally... finally finally................ :depressed:

why do i feel that now that they might be pull apart......... and then there goes more tissues~ T.T

-crawls to corner and dies there-
crawls to corner and spins on the dead body!  :gmon twirl:

:mon bat:

Offline peti-chan

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ai-chan oriented XD
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
Gaki leaving, the mysterious bastard, Reina walking out just like that...it's all so unimportant... the world could really end in that moment and it wouldn't really have mattered since Ai thought "I love her" and now nothing is going to stop her from telling this to the kitten. Ai hates losing so she couldn't lose to herself. Not realizing her own feelings and staying in that pitch black hole of despair would certainly be a defeat

The words Reina shouted to Ai about that whole stupid I don't deserve you/you deserve better thing were so damn right, true and smart XD And I must say this, for the first time in my life I liked Reina more than Ai :lol: I wanted to really 'hurt' Ai for all the stupid things she thought and said :angry: Reina acted more honestly, just how the heart was telling her and actually, ACTED which was her biggest plus 8)

Not the fastest person in the world, it took a little while before Ai figured out just what had disturbed her most about Reina's frantic departure

INDEED :banghead:

Well, it's still not the end and we don't know what Reina(and Gaki? XD) is up to but since you say that you aren't hammy and don't kill people, the end won't be that bad I guess :lol:

Oh and I suppose the guy must have done something very bad to Ai so if he is responsible for her thinking that she doesn't deserve to be happy then kill him...in some accident not to cause much troubles for the yankii XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
I'm back!

And yes I know that was quick. After all, I've already written the ending months ago! XD

Split the ending into two chapters though....

Comment replies first then we'll move on!

Retro Bubble: Yes it certainly took her long enough. Mhm, poor Ai....but she's still an idiot anyway. >.>; As for that question, please come back to me in the sequel --- pretend you didn't see that. XD Well, I'm updating fast so you guys can see what happens next! Hehe...

kRisZ: You might be right. That is all I'll say. XD

aussie: Nice summary there. Lol. And again...you might be right. Heh. Remember, I'm evil. :3

kurosawa: Well at least Ai finally figured out her feelings.

rndmn: I'll get you some day. It's just a matter of time. :P And are you still over that??? >.>;

Fen: Marr, you're heartless and ebil. We knew that. :P And yes yes, you're right...

alwaysYou: Sometimes we know when we're beaten. Gaki's not that delusional. And yes I make this two look very pathetic. I enjoy torturing them. Hehe. XD

baby sticky: There was a him right from the start when I planned this story. I just took my time revealing it. Lol. And you're a brat! >(

peti-chan: Yeah it all boils down to Ai loving Reina and finally realizing it herself. Heh. Well I really worked on Reina's speech, so I'm glad you liked it. Haha. Are you sure it won't be a bad ending? :P

Ok time to edit. :D

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »
Here and Waiting

"Otsukare!"

The smile stayed on as long as it was needed, fading away as soon as she stepped into the back of the set. The cold mask snapped back on in record time, even as she wordlessly took the water bottle from her waiting manager.

"Takahashi, you have an hour of free time before we have to head to the charity gala." Moriya, the long-suffering woman who had been assigned to her full-time since her big breakthrough into prime time drama, was also the most professional person Ai had ever had the pleasure of working with. In addition to being efficient, the manager knew exactly when to leave her alone.

"Un, that's enough time then." Ai was nothing if not civil to her manager. Having worked with the woman for the past 6 months, they had learned to get along.

Moriya was perplexed. Her client, one Takahashi Ai, was a thoroughgoing professional, which made her job a great deal easier since the young star was not as difficult as others she had worked with. Hardworking, serious, and unlikely to get into trouble, it left Moriya free of additional concerns. Takahashi was the perfect (or rather, reformed) celebrity.

What didn't make sense though was how unusually dedicated, or one could even say obsessive, over something she was. Even as Ai was heading back to the dressing room with Moriya trotting at her side, she was already flipping through a clear folder with an intent expression on her face.

Detective reports, Moriya knew. For as long as she had been in charge of managing one Takahashi Ai, the actress had been searching for someone. According to the rumor mill, it most likely had to do with a certain young idol named Tanaka Reina.

The rumor mill was never kind to the famous, particular not the internal rumor mill. What did get out to the public was usually watered down in comparison. Moriya had heard all sorts of interesting things about Takahashi before, but after being assigned to her, she found that they were mostly untrue.

What was true though, was her charge's intense drive to track one Tanaka Reina down. Moriya had also heard of the girl, naturally. Since that two-bit gossip magazine released candid shots of the girl drinking at a bar 8 months ago, there was no doubt that Tanaka had to go on suspension. The same article claimed that Takahashi was there as well, but the shots that supposedly had her in them were blurred and not very good, so the agency was able to refute the claims.

Moriya did not know the truth behind the matter, but then again it was not important for her to do so. Once swept under the carpet, the truth was not important. Truth, in this industry, was completely relative. Whatever the public did not know was, by default, "not true". As long as nothing could be proven and no one gets caught, they were free to do as they wished, within reason.

Tanaka had the misfortune to be caught, and thus had to be suspended. A pity too, since she was only a year away from the legal age. From her sources, she learned that the girl had taken leave to go on an extended vacation until things calmed down. The public had a short memory, and she would be able to come back with a relatively fresh start after having been suitably "punished" by staying off the radar for a suitable length of time.

Had Moriya not been Takahashi's manager, that would have been the extent of her knowledge of what happened to Tanaka. Apparently, the girl had not only vanished from the entertainment world, but also from Tokyo itself.

Moriya was not surprised to know that Takahashi and Tanaka were close; the inside news had been that the two were engaged in a clandestine relationship at the time. It was never confirmed, given the uncertain nature of the industry, but judging from what she knew now, Moriya wouldn't be surprised if those rumors had been true.

Ai devoted every moment of her spare time to finding Reina. In between breaks for filming, photoshoots and even in transit between locations for events, Ai would always be looking through the data her hired investigators brought to her. No matter how fruitless the search appeared to be, she persevered.

When Moriya had asked her, early on in their working relationship, why she worked so hard to look for Tanaka, Ai simply smiled sadly and said.

"Because I have something very important to tell her."

Moriya shook her head and sighed. Takahashi was stubborn. Even though it has been so long, she could not give up. Glancing down at the carefully marked schedule planner in her hands, the meticulous manager went about her own work in supporting the busy Takahashi Ai.

Not only because she had to, but because the girl really needed it.

~*~*~

Ai sighed. She did not want to be here. Not at a stuffy event where she would be just another pretty decoration on display. Her time could be better used in other ways.

Had that fussy manager of hers not insisted on her attendance, and personally made sure that she did show up, Ai would probably already be cooped up in her own apartment by now.

As if sensing herself being referenced, Moriya glanced over to the sulky Ai, who instantly put on her most obediently angelic expression. The bespectacled manager looked suspicious for a moment, but said nothing.

Reina, where are you? Not for the first time that day, Ai found her thoughts drifting in that direction even as she mechanically mingled with the socialites at the event. It seemed like there never was a moment where her mind was not on Reina, especially for the last 8 months during their enforced separation.

Reina had disappeared that day, when the office had summoned her on short notice. When Ai showed up at the office to look for her, all she had received were vague answers and thinly veiled evasions. Attempts to contact Reina were also futile, and upon returning to Reina's apartment, she found nothing. Literally nothing, because there were signs of hasty packing done, leaving the place mostly bare.

When the scandal broke officially, that was how Ai found out that Reina was being suspended. What she didn't understand though, was why Reina was avoiding her as well. There had been no word, no note, not even a single mail about anything at all.

Despairing, she had thrown herself into her work, in between hiring people to look for the missing girl. It only took a month to confirm one thing: Reina had left Tokyo. As to where she was headed, no one knew.

It took almost two months before Ai let the fact sink in: Reina had left her. It had been so difficult to deal with, and Ai almost broke down from it all as she withdrew into work even more intensely than before. Any semblance of a social life vanished, and she even cut her hair again, back to boyishly short levels, without permission. Her then manager nearly had a coronary at that.

Months flew by and now here she was, hair growing out again for the movie she was going to appear in. Her desire to find Reina had not faded even after all this time, and neither did the pain of separation feel any less intense. She still cried herself to sleep every night.

Eyes scanning the crowd idly, Ai felt herself sink further into boredom when she saw something that nearly made her drop the glass she was holding.

Reina. No, it couldn't be. She had to be hallucinating. Ai rubbed at her eyes, heedless of the fact that she was ruining her makeup. That was the least of her problems at the moment.

Why would Reina be here? If it's Reina, that is. Ai corrected herself. Drifting closer, Ai tried to track down where that phantom had gone.

"Takahashi, is something wrong?" Moriya again. The woman had eyes like a hawk, despite the glasses. Without preamble, Ai asked quickly.

"What's this event for again?" Moriya raised one eyebrow, but answered anyway.

"Fundraising to build a new facility for disabled children." Without pause, Ai continued.

"What's the guest list like?"

Like any thoroughly professional manager, Moriya knew the facts.

"Talents like you who are scheduled to perform later, potential investors and donors, government representatives, some architects..."

Architect.
The word clicked in her mind for some reason. Reina's parents were architects, and were often out of the country. Reina herself had grown up with her grandparents because of it.

It was slim, unverified, and pure conjecture. But Ai wanted to believe that Reina could possibly be here. Because she needed to believe.

"Thanks." Her reply was terse, and she was off again. Her hapless manager stared after her, wondering what exactly was going on.

~*~*~

She has to be here, she absolutely has to be here.

Ai repeated that mantra to herself, as if by sheer dint of repetition it would come true. Was she delusional? Possibly. The last 8 months had already worn her thin, mentally and emotionally.

Cold logic told her nothing could be so convenient, her inner pessimism rearing its ugly head. It was hard battling it, and it certainly felt like a losing battle...

Until she saw her.

Chibi optimistic Ai trampled all over her emo and pessmistic counterpart, prancing about in a tribal dance celebrating her victory within Ai's head. The real Ai however, stood there in shock.

She's there, she's really there.

Ai could cry right now. She wanted to run over and hug the younger girl, kiss her senseless right there and then, and to hell with everyone else present.

But she didn't. She just stood there.

Shock mostly, and fear. She was afraid. How would she go about approaching someone who had most certainly left her? She didn't even know if Reina felt the same anymore.

If she doesn't love me anymore...

Ai didn't know what to do. What would she do? There was a terrifying blank beyond that possibility.

Reina moved, and their eyes met. Even after all this time, a familiar electricity ran between them, just like old times. Ai felt a surge of hope, even as she saw Reina's shock at seeing her.

Ai could not help but notice how pale Reina was, even with the distance. No matter how pale though, Ai still found her beautiful. She wanted to be close to her again.

The shock in Reina's eyes turned to blankness, as Reina quite deliberately turned away from her. Ai's throat tightened, blinking away the tears that came suddenly at this subtle rejection.

Ai couldn't breathe, retreating into a corner to try and calm down, but still maintaining line of sight with her quarry. Indecision filled her again, as she wondered how best to approach the girl.

Even if Reina rejected her, even if Reina didn't want her anymore, Ai needed to tell her.

Those three words, so long left overdue.

It was about time she said it to her.

============================================

Part 1 of the ending. Next part will be the long awaited ending...that I've actually written but won't post yet just to torture you guys! --> THIS IS FEN'S IDEA BLAME HER! :D

I'm ebil. :3

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
Re: Nanchatte Renai [11/26 - Here and Waiting]
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
Okay, I'm a horrible, horrible person. xD;;; Y'see, I've just been too lazy to comment on just about anything I've been reading...which is really bad. I'm usually overrun by work and don't have the time to type up good comments and crud. Just wanted to let you know I've been following along the whole time and still loving every bit of this. <3

BUT DAMMIT LEMME SEE PART TWO OF THE ENDING. ;_; (Guess that's what I get for not reviewing... ^^; )

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
 :imdead:

Offline Swtme03

• *Ninja*
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I've found who I want to be :)
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2009, 06:57:56 AM »
MUST  :banghead: READ  :banghead: PART  :banghead: 2!!!!

:on cny2: PLEASE!!!!

~It'll cost you nothing to dream~and everything not to~
Love you some MM animated goodness?! Gifs by Swtme03

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »
Wah! updates faster than I can reply!  hehe happy camper   :mon fyeah:

*gives Fen a strange look*  don't go giving Estrea any more strange ideas  :mon sigh:

man the way Risa left in the last chapter...that made me so sad...it kind of felt like that was her last appearance.  lol and I guess if the next chapter is the last chapter...I guess it really was her last appearance  :sweat:

I still can't believe Ai....it took her that long to finally realize it?  I thought she already kind of knew deep down....oh right...it's that thing called denial!  ahh... XD

and Reina storming off to the office?  I still think she's keeping a bigger secret.  I mean if it's just the pictures...I think Reina would just not care that much...and it can't be to protect, Ai chan can it?  since the pictures were all blurry....argh~  what can it be??  *gives Fen a strange look again*

Ai could not help but notice how pale Reina was, even with the distance.

Hope you didn't give Reina a strange illness or something...and that's why she ran away.....nah...what are the odds right?  with only more chapter after all~  

lol...maybe I should just accept a simpler explanation...like Reina trying to distance herself from Ai chan for the sake of Ai chan's career....

darn...I really want to know the reason~ XD  

Reina's parents were architects, and were often out of the country.

Architects??  Someone finally gave Reina a proper family background?!  I don't believe it!  lol they are in reality mobster architects right?   XD

Offline peti-chan

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ai-chan oriented XD
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:03 AM »
So Reina ran away, huh? I don't know why but oh well, serves you right Ai, if you hadn't been so stubborn things would go differently and this is your punishment for all your indecisiveness and inactiveness :smhid she had to loose Reina to finally, appreciate her :banghead: hope she drawn the right conclusions...

Chibi optimistic Ai trampled all over her emo and pessimistic counterpart, prancing about in a tribal dance celebrating her victory within Ai's head. The real Ai however, stood there in shock.

Unexpected but funny XD she should have trampled that emo long ago :lol:

Now only one thing left to say...GanbaReina Ai! XD

And I didn't say the ending wouldn't be bad I said it wouldn't be that bad which basically, means that if you don't kill them there is a hope for them :lol:

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
wow something incredibly great for an ending woo hoo

The tension and the love, chills down the spine

good job
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
Mwahahahahahahahah!!

It's fun dragging this out. :P

Hmm, there might be some hope left... maybe... kekekekekekeke

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »
Hmmm....should I post the next part nao or wait some more....:D

@Sukoshi: The one time I give Reina a respectable background, no one believes it. :lol: Poor girl lol.

@Fen: Youuuuuuuuuu! The ending is your fault too. :3 :lol:

Lalalala~ *prances around*

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kRisZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ...shiawasekai...
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
"Because I have something very important to tell her."

Unfinished businesses can haunt you forever, consciously and unconsciously.

Damn, I could relate somehow, though only a little

Ai could cry right now. She wanted to run over and hug the younger girl, kiss her senseless right there and then, and to hell with everyone else present.

:onioncheer:   Go Aichan Go   :onioncheer:

Hmmm....should I post the next part nao or wait some more....:D

Tsk tsk tsk the S thing is on duty

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
Answer

The event dragged on and on, making Ai more restless by the moment. She wanted to go over, but didn't dare to. Cursing her own incompetence, she was still beating herself over the head for it when something caught her eye.

She's leaving. Having kept a discreet eye out for the younger girl the entire time, Ai was acutely aware of the urgency that suddenly gripped her. She couldn't just sit here and wait passively any longer. She had to act. Now.

Excusing herself with a brevity that bordered on rudeness, she threaded her way through the mingling socialites, zeroing in on her target. As if sensing danger, her prey sped up; not quite running, but close to it.

The other girl disappeared out of a side door, Ai closely behind. The corridor was only dimly lit, casting long shadows in many directions. It left Ai with the impression that she was chasing shadows in an unrelenting night, seeking but not quite grasping the petite figure that haunted her dreams. Her breathing was loud in her ears, as was her heartbeat. She would not be denied.

She had not known that this exit led onto the street. All the better; she could now clearly see her target just ahead of her. Throwing poise and decorum aside, Ai ran up to her, heels be damned.

It only occurred to her upon seizing that thin arm that she had not even planned out what she wanted to say. Caught in an awkward moment she had herself created, Ai's jaw flexed soundlessly, her carefully developed acting skills having deserted her in that moment.

"Let go." Her voice was still the same, after all this time. Just hearing it made her relax a little. Not much, but a little. Her voice was rusty as she raised it in greeting, ignoring the snub.

"Reina."

Reina turned dark, defensive eyes to face Ai. She had intended to avoid the older girl whenever possible, but she had not counted on Ai being this persistent. Her flat gaze seemed to shake Ai up a little, but the older girl, to her credit, did not look away.

"What do you want, Takahashi-san?" Her voice was deliberately formal, and Ai winced to hear it. However, she did not let go, did not flinch away, for all of the pain it caused. Instead, she embraced it, knowing she deserved every single moment of that pain.

"It's good to see you again." Ai wanted to hit herself over the head as the words came tumbling out of her mouth. It was almost banal, but her mind had yet to catch up with the situation.

A dry, cracked laugh came from Reina. Clearly, she found the whole situation just as banal, if not a complete joke. Ai felt her tug at the captive arm, but did not let go. She wasn't going to let Reina leave her a second time.

Taking a deep breath, and ignoring the blank terror that surged through her, Ai fought down the choking sensation she had in her throat as she said as firmly as she could.

"I'm not going to wait anymore. I've waited long enough."

A frisson of something akin to fear (or was it doubt?) flashed through Reina's eyes, and the arm in Ai's iron grip tensed. Screwing up all of her courage, Ai kicked down her own fears and looked Reina straight in the eye as she declared.

"I love you Reina. Stay with me."

Reina wanted to laugh. Or cry. Possibly both. She had waited for years to hear this simple statement, wasted so much of her life in denial over it, and now it was here. She didn't know what to think, didn't know what to feel. A hollow sob escaped her, almost involuntarily. It wasn't supposed to feel like this.

Ai was holding her breath quite unconsciously, as if afraid of Reina's answer. She didn't know what she was afraid of, at least, until she started seeing spots in front of her eyes from lack of air. That, combined with the sudden shaky laugh coming from Reina, raised another surge of terror-induced nausea in her.

"Certainly took you long enough." It came out cold, bitter even. Ai seized up inside, a sudden sense of foreboding descending on her.

Reina could not have controlled the high, wild tone that came from her throat; the dark knot of emotions gnawing away at her all these months, doubts and fears that had whispered to her fueling her darker half that had fallen into despair.

"Funny though, I thought I was the one doing the waiting all this time." The words came out crueler than she had intended, years of hidden resentment spilling over. Ai flinched as if she had been slapped, but did not let go nor move away.

The sudden anger was intoxicating; it was easy to get lost in it. Reina almost did not recognize this side of herself, vengeful and menacing. It felt bitter and resentful, irrational even. Reina knew this, but found herself continuing on, even as some inner part of her grew increasingly wooden with every syllable.

"It's not that easy, isn't it? Well, I hope you enjoy feeling a fraction of what I felt for all those years." Ai's expression grew stricken even as Reina rushed through her diatribe, feeling nothing but emptiness flood in with the vindictive words.

"I'm leaving now. Goodbye."

She tore her arm away from Ai's suddenly nerveless fingers, the separation raw and jarring. About to turn away, she was surprised by the sloppy, desperate grip of Ai's fingers. She had thought that the older woman would give up by now.

"Reina, Rei, wait, please..."

"Don't call me that anymore, Takahashi." Reina bit off sharply, trying to free herself. Ai, however, had dug in with the dogged tenacity of the truly desolate, and nothing short of chopping her arm off would separate them, or so Reina was starting to conclude.

"Reina, don't do this to me. I love you."

Reina squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the raw pain in Ai's voice. A familiar pain resonated within her, wearing at her resolve. It sought to be reunited with her other half, to forget past hatreds, to begin afresh...

"I can't do this anymore, Ai-chan." Her own voice, choked as it was, emerged with a cruel clarity, even as that quiet, pleading part of her faded back into the silence within herself. She felt like she was having an out-of-body experience while still in it.

"I can't stand going on like this. It's too hard. Don't make it so difficult for me." The anger had faded into weary resignation. Reina could not even find it in herself to meet Ai's eyes. She could not look. If she did, she did not know what she would do.

"Is it so hard to just...start over?" That utterly defenseless voice pierced through all of Reina's carefully erected defenses, impacting sharply with a near physical pain that threatened to break her apart. Angry tears gathered in her eyes, but she did not let them fall.

"Yes, because I don't know if I can trust you at all, Takahashi."

Her response was tight, and Ai's grip loosened, as if reeling from that verbal blow. Reina forced herself to turn away, not daring to look back. Ai's voice was so quiet that she would not have heard it had not she been so attuned to the other woman.

"All I ever wanted was a second chance, but I guess...I'm just...too late..." The broken, beaten note in Ai's voice wrenched at Reina's heart, and she clenched her fists, grinding her teeth together, trying to force it out. She couldn't do this. Not much longer, not like this.

"I'm so sorry, Reina..."

Ai was crying; she knew it, even without turning around. A part of her wanted to stay, turn around and comfort the one person she had once loved so much that it hurt.

It was pride that spurred her into action, pride that kept her going. It was not that she loved Ai too little, oh no; it was that she loved her too much. And it hurt too much to be in love with her, so she had to let go.

Her own tears ran hot against her skin, but she did not even pause to wipe them away as she picked up speed, until she was practically running down the street. Her feet throbbed painfully in her boots, but she barely noticed as she slowed down several streets away, gasping painfully as her sobs grew more pronounced, so much so as to nearly choke her in their intensity.

The tears would not stop. How could they? She had just turned away from the person she loved, and who loved her in return. But it was too little, too late. They had missed their chance together.

Burying her face in her hands, Reina finally allowed herself to break down on that very street corner as curious pedestrians cast fleeting glances at this hysterical girl, even as her heart continued repeating in silence what she had not been able to say before.

I love you, Ai. I'm so sorry.

================================================

There. The end. Finito.

I had this in mind since about halfway through the story, months ago. It might interest a few people to know that this wasn't the first ending I thought of back when I started writing this. It was going to be something happier at first, but somewhere along the way I changed my mind. But something made me decide to end it this way.

Reina loves Ai, she still does even at the end. Why would she leave then, even after hearing that confession? Fear, uncertainty, a heart that knows betrayal better than it does affirmation, combined with too many little things that got in the way. Bad timing, certainly. Too little, too late.

What of Ai? She's the "villain" of this story, if there is one. In my eyes, everyone is a victim and a perpetrator here. They are human, they are selfish, they make mistakes, they are not honest with themselves or others. They love, they hate. Even if one knows that they made a mistake and tries to salvage the situation, as Ai tried to, they might not always be successful.

I wonder if I created a satisfying ending. I had doubts before, I still have them now. I wanted a tragedy of errors, mistakes that multiplied upon themselves to separate the two. They have never stopped loving each other, but sometimes love isn't everything. I think that's what I had in mind, and I hope it came through here.

Lastly I want to say, thanks everyone for following this story to its conclusion. :)

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (12/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Vacance