JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Blackpink - See U Later

Author Topic: Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic (Chapter 4 END)  (Read 4956 times)

Offline tigers parade

Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic (Chapter 4 END)
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »
Prologue

God, I feel so stupid. What am I even doing?

Nezumi leaned against the wall, studying the trash that cluttered the rooftop. Sighing, she popped another piece of gum into her mouth, chewing it slowly. As she deliberated over a scheme, she glanced at the courtyard below. The shouts and battlecries of her classmates were heard, signaling the start of another fight.

Idiots. That's what you get a yankee school.

She shook her heard, clearing her thoughts. After another minute or so of silence, Nezumi decided to head back inside. As she stood up, a sleek iPod fell out of her pocket. "Bach's Air on a G String" began to play, surprising the girl. She bent down to retrieve her iPod and noticed a small crack on the screen.

"Damn it!" She cursed out loud. Stuffing the iPod back into her pocket, she stomped back into the building, returning to her base.

Her base, as Nezumi liked to think of it, was an empty classroom at the end of a hallway. A small stack of Hermann Hesse books sat, untouched, in the corner. Hanging on the front of the classroom was a large chalkboard. It was covered in equations and drawings, all done by Nezumi herself. People rarely came around to visit her, allowing her to think in silence. The only person who ever bothered the silence was Center. Center was a lean, athletic girl who loved to fight. A smart girl, but reckless. The only thing Center enjoyed more than fighting was reading. Hermann Hesse books in particular.

Nezumi stepped into the room, breathing in the familiar scent of chalk dust. Half-heartedly flipping through one of Center's books, stopping at a bookmarked page. Center had highlighted a sentence: "If I know what love is, it is because of you." Next to it, a hastily scribbled "Show to Nezumi" was written. The book, Narcissus and Goldmund, was well-worn with dog-eared pages. Curious, Nezumi restarted the book, this time close paying attention.

"Outside the entrance of the Mariabronn cloister..."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:56:24 PM by tigers parade »

Offline RenshuChan

• Jurina's secret crush ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I know many people's secret, but they don't ~
Re: Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
it reminds me of the young jurimayu...
though I prefer romance than fighting scene...
but it's majijo after all...
lol... just continue it fella...  :hip smile:

Offline tigers parade

Re: Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic (Chapter 2)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »
Nezumi POV

A couple months ago:

"Nezumi, try smiling."

"What?" We were standing on the rooftop, looking out at the city skyline like we always did.

"You know, show some emotion." Center was grinning cheekily at me. Ignoring her request, I huffed and turned away.

"Come on, lighten up. Nezumi, we're yankees you know. We could die at anytime. You gotta live life while you can."

"My life is fine, thank you."

"Live, love, and laugh," Center prodded. "That's all I'm asking."

I let out a short laugh.

"I'm living and laughing right now," I said matter-of-factly.

"What about love?"

Her question caught me off guard. What about love? I had no idea.

"I...don't know how to love," I answered curtly.

Center was grinning again. Shit, I had gotten myself into trouble.

"Nezumi, I'm gonna change that."

Present:

I closed the book. On the cover, "Narcissus and Goldmund" was printed in fancy letters. I traced the words with my finger, slowly and delicately. Narcissus and Goldmund. I wanted an "and" after my name. Someone to complete me and be by my side. But I didn't have anyone like that.

The door creaked open, and to my surprise, I saw Center standing in the doorway.

"Nezumi? What are you doing here so late?" She frowned. "It's dangerous at night."

"I don't need your worry, Center. I can take care of myself." I answered coldly.

A look of hurt flashed across her face, and she tried changing the subject.

"What are you reading there?"

I held up the book so she could see the title.

"Ah." She nodded. "That's a good one."

She made her way across the room to me, plopping down on my right. We sat in silence for a couple minutes before she turned towards me and spoke.

"You know," she said softly. "Hermann Hesse once said, 'Everything becomes a little different as soon as it is spoken out loud.'"

She gazed at me expectantly. I stared back, not knowing what she wanted. Sighing, she continued:

"You know, lately, I've been feeling a bit different. I want to change things, but I haven't had the slightest idea on how to do that. So, like Hesse said, I'm gonna try saying it out loud."

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. I knew what was coming. She had gotten tired of me.

"Nezumi, I..."

"Wait."

"...What?"

"Before you say anything, I just want you to know that I saw it. The quote about learning what love is, I mean, and the note you wrote beside it."

Center's eyes widened in surprise and I looked down, feeling guilty. The quote had nothing to do with the conversation. I was just desperate for anything to stop what was coming next.

"Center, tell me...later, okay?"

She nodded slowly, then stood up. When she reached the door, she paused, sending a glance over her shoulder at me. Then she stepped out of the room.

I sat there for another ten minutes in silence, contemplating what had just happened.

Well, I guess I had better head home. Center was right about it being dangerous at night.

As I rose, I took a moment to brush off my skirt. All of a sudden, tears came tumbling out of my eyes, splashing upon my shoes. I slumped against the wall, trying to contain my crying. It didn't work. I crumpled into a ball, letting out all my anguish. I loved Center. I loved the way she smiled at me and looked me in the eyes. The way she hugged me tightly after every fight. She was my best friend and my crush.

I had never loved anyone before. Maybe I would have been able to love if I had had a normal childhood. My father and his dirty money, my mom and her ignorance; I grew up alone. I learned to mask my feelings, developing a "cyborg-like" face. I rarely showed emotion. As the years passed, I began believing had that I had no emotions either. My inability to care for anyone fooled me into thinking I would always be alone.

And then Center came along. She stuck with me through thick and thin, even after I had betrayed her multiple times. God, she had almost died because of me. And yet, she was always there. Her loyalty had touched me somehow, and I began to feel again. And gradually, before I knew it, I had fallen in love.

Tired of crying my eyes out, I buried my face in my lap. That girl was something; I really had learned how to love. A thought popped into my head: maybe Center had underlined the love quote for a reason. She was trying to teach me what love was.

Bitterly, I mumbled, "Center, you did it. 'If I know what love is, it is because of you.'"

Offline Ne_Okotteru

• Professional Baka
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »
I'm so happy you started this fic. I haven't seen a CenNezu story in long time and they are one of my OTP's. :luvluv2:

I can't wait for the next chapter and keepup the good work :byebye:

Offline sasshirie

• Member+
  • Shipping is number 1 priority
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:51 PM »
This is actually good  :O :w00t: update as soon as you can, I will be waiting  :thumbsup

Offline tigers parade

Re: Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic (Chapter 3)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
Hey guys! Sorry for the really late update, I was just really busy for a while.

@Ne_Okotteru: Thanks! Yeah, I ran out of CenNezu fanfic to read, so I decided to write one myself.
@sasshirie: Thank you! I will try to update as much as possible.

Anyway, here's the next chapter!

Chapter 3:
Center POV
“If I know what love is, it is because of you.”

Nezumi...I leaned against the wall of the classroom, sighing deeply. Nezumi might have muttered those words to herself, but it was quiet at night and the walls were thin. Even with a wall in between us, I could still hear her words. And her sniffling.

She knows what love is? That was fast. I didn’t even get a chance to actually teach her anything though. But why is she crying?

I stood there for a good ten minutes, debating whether or not I should go and comfort my friend. I didn’t know how to face her though. Should I act concerned or go with a cheerful approach? Either way, it would be awkward for both parties.

Damn it! Center, where did your yankee spirit go? Man up and use this chance to tell her how you feel!

A couple months ago:

Nezumi and I stood on the rooftop, peering over the railing at the squabbles in the school courtyard. Wanting to start a conversation, I absentmindedly said the first thing that came to mind:

“Nezumi, try smiling.”

“What?” She looked at me skeptically, suspicious of my intentions. I let out a light-hearted laugh, prodding her on. Our bantering continued, but by the end I had formed a goal: teach Nezumi how to love. She didn’t know it, but I had fallen for the rat girl a long time ago. I was madly in love with her and desperately wanted her to know that. The only problem was that she was cold to everyone and avoided any shows of affection. If I could teach her to love, then maybe I’d finally have a chance at having her.

Present:

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door sliding open. I turned and came face to face with Nezumi, who was frowning at me. Her eyes were wet with tears.

“Center, what are you still doing here? I thought you left already.”

“Uh...I did, but I came back for something.”
“Did you find it?” She squinted at me, obviously not believing my lie.

“Yeah, wanna go now?” I blurted, trying to steer the conversation. She nodded, and we started walking, wordlessly but side by side.

Nezumi POV

Why is Center here? Didn’t she leave earlier? Well, I can’t deny that I’m a little happy that she stayed behind. 

I wiped away the remainder of my tears, praying that she hadn’t noticed them. The silence was killing me, and I glanced up at Center, curious as to what she was thinking. As we exited the school, the cold night air hit me and I shivered, pulling my pink hoodie closer. Suddenly, I felt a warm presence around my hand. Center was holding my hand. I blushed furiously and looked away, thankful for the darkness.

W-what is she doing?! That idiot! Damn, I don’t know how to react…

“Nezumi,” she said softly. “I’ll drop you off at home.”

“Thanks.”

“I don’t know why you were crying, but I’m here for you, ya know?” She grinned at me, and just seeing it instantly made me feel better.

“You heard me crying?” I asked with a wry smile. She nodded sheepishly. “I’m not gonna tell you why though.”

She pouted and I let out a laugh at the sight. The dog-like girl always managed to lift me up. We continued our walk cheerfully, the awkward silence having been broken. I was disappointed to reach my house.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Center let go of my hand and waved. I waved back, wishing that I could spend more time with her. I watched as her figure became smaller and smaller, fading into the darkness. Suddenly, I dashed towards her, grabbing a hold of her hand once more.

“Center! Wait, it’s really late and dangerous now, so why don’t you spend the night with me?” Oh my god. What did I just do? I peeked at her face, and was surprised to find that she was...blushing? What for? Maybe it was just my imagination. Her face quickly morphed into a grin again, as if saying “Lead the way.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that's all for today folks! Sorry for the shortness.

Hope you guys keep reading!

Offline Weird Panda

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Big fan of Donald Duck
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
Hope you guys keep reading!
Don't worry, I'll keep reading and waiting. Thank's you're still going to update this fic. I bet it's gonna be a beautiful story

Offline sasshirie

• Member+
  • Shipping is number 1 priority
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:11:19 AM »
more more more

Offline tigers parade

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »
Sorry for the long wait! Wow, I'm really bad at using this forum, but I finally got it up here. Although now it seems considerably less than it did on google drive  :? :huhuh Anyway, enjoy!

@sasshirie: yes lol I want more of these two as well
@Weird Panda: can't guarantee how beautiful but I'll try my best

Chapter 3:
Center sat awkwardly on the edge of the bed, trying not to gawk at the pink, girly room she was in. Nezumi was surprisingly girly. Ever since the rat had invited her into the house, she had felt increasingly self-conscious and nervous about the sudden development.

Ten minutes ago:

Center POV:
Shit, Nezumi is actually so cute. A rare sight--she looks so relaxed.

I couldn't stop staring. After she invited me in, we went straight into her room to drop off her stuff, then down to the kitchen for some food. After the light meal, she told me to go take a bath and get ready for bed. I protested, saying that she should go first, but she put on a defiant face and insisted upon it. I obliged and took a quick shower; I didn't want to keep Nezumi waiting. While thinking in the shower was something I enjoyed, spending time with her was something I enjoyed even more.

Realizing that I had no change of clothes, I called out, “Nezumi, can I borrow your clothes for tonight? I didn't bring any!”

A pause. No sound came from her room, which was next door. All of a sudden, I heard frantic shuffling and a loud thud. What was that girl doing? It's not like I had said anything weird. Unless sharing clothes was considered weird, which to me it wasn't.

“Sure, I'll put them outside in a moment!” her muffled voice traveled into the bathroom. I was pretty much done washing myself anyway, so I turned off the water and grabbed a towel, stepping out of the shower carefully. Right at that moment, the door opened and I looked up to see a shocked Nezumi holding a set of clothes.

Nezumi POV
OH. MY. GOD. WHAT IS THIS. I thought she was still showering!

When I had gone to give Center clothes, I had decided to place them on the rack inside the bathroom. I had no idea that she had already finished her shower. Throwing the clothes at the naked girl before me, I slammed the door shut and ran into my room. A few moments later, she came out, a little hesitantly but still as annoyingly easy going as ever. Now fully clothed, she sat down beside me on the bed, drying her hair. I stood up rigidly and grabbed my pajamas, heading towards the bathroom.

I heaved a deep sigh as hot water cascaded over me, easing the tension in my shoulders. Today had been a long day and I needed to clear my head. However, that was not the case. When I closed my eyes,  all I could see was the perfectly defined, curved figure of Center. Her smooth skin was pale and creamy, and it formed a stark contrast with her jet black hair. She was slender and tall, with straight legs and a straight back. Probably due to years of fighting and natural physical prowess, her stomach and arms were rather muscular. She was lean, in a good kind of way. But the one thing that had stood out the most was the pale pink scar on her lower abdomen.

It was a knife wound. I had been in enough fights to know that, and plenty more to be able to tell that she had been stabbed. Judging from how faded it was, she had most likely gotten it years ago, and had been seriously injured by it.

Maybe that's why she always flinches whenever she sees anything sharp. But why hasn't she told me? Aren't I her best friend?

I shook my head. All these thoughts were getting me nowhere, and I was starting to turn into a prune. Twisting the shower knob off, I wrung the water out of my hair. I spent more time than usual drying myself, putting off seeing Center again. I had no idea how to act around that girl anymore. Eventually, the steam and heat from the shower got too much to bear and I had to step out into my room. She was standing on the balcony, gazing at the night skyline before her. A gentle breeze drifted across her, and her hair fluttered softly. Somehow, the entire scene filled me with a sense of nostalgia.

“You’ll catch a cold like that,” I chided. “At least dry your hair properly.” She laughed, a faint chuckle. Pulling me next to her, she remained silent. For a while, we stood there, arms barely brushing against the other’s. A strange feeling of peace flooded through me, and I gathered up the courage to lean my head on her shoulders. The earlier bathroom incident no longer mattered, nor did the scar. Nothing did, except for the girl next to me.

Center POV:
The house on the hill provided a fantastic view of the city. The sight was something I hardly ever got to see, considering the location of my house in the slums. Furthermore, the expanse of sky above me was speckled with an impressive array of stars. The fact that it was a cold night flew past my head. I was too enamored by the lights of the city and the sky.

I probably would have stood there until morning had not Nezumi tugged on my shirt, motioning for us to go inside. As I stepped over the threshold, a sudden wave of drowsiness hit me. Gazing at the night had blotted out my fatigue.

Inside, I saw that Nezumi had already prepared a futon and crawled inside. I frowned. There was no way I was going to let her sleep on the futon.

“Take the bed. This is your house.”

“It’s fine, you’re my guest,” She replied, not even bothering to look up. I shook my head and joined her in the futon.

A lopsided grin formed on my face. “Then we can share.”

“If that’s the case, then we can just share the bed.” She rolled her eyes and pulled me up. Under the covers, I grabbed her hand and refused to let go.

Grumbling to herself, she muttered, “I’m never going to get any sleep.”

Offline akbdaisuki48

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
center nezu
i can't..
i just...
my poor hearth

will wait for the update

Offline tigers parade

Re: Reading Hermann Hesse - a Center x Nezumi fanfic (Chapter 4 END)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:01 PM »
A/N: Wow, so I totally lost where I was going with this. But since I figured that it should be a happy fic (for my babies CenNezu) it turned out like this. The character and plot development might be bad, but I hope you've enjoyed this series! Thanks!

Chapter 4

It was the exact opposite. Nezumi had complained that she wouldn’t be able to sleep, but she had conked out the moment her head hit the pillow. On the other hand, Center laid awake for several hours, unable to fall asleep. After tossing and turning awkwardly to avoid waking the sleeping girl beside her, she resigned herself to lying on her back.

Soft murmuring caught Center’s attention and she carefully shifted over to face Nezumi. The other girl’s silky black hair fell softly across her face, fluttering softly every so often. Bringing her hand up, Center gingerly tucked a stray strand behind the sleeping girl’s ear. A twitch in the girl’s face alerted the puppy of what she was doing. She retracted her hand, suddenly aware of the intimate situation she had placed herself in.

Gazing at the moonlight illuminating the pale skin of her friend, Center absentmindedly let her mind fall back to the events of the day. She frowned. Nezumi rarely showed emotion, let alone cried, so whatever it was that was troubling her must have been incredibly important.
Thinking back, Nezumi had said something about learning to love, hadn’t she? The issue was probably related to love, then. If that was the case, who was the lucky person? Center racked her brain, attempting to conjure up an image of Nezumi’s ideal lover. Nothing came to mind.

She was pretty sure that Nezumi only talked to her on a regular basis, but perhaps someone outside of school was close to the girl. Center clenched her fists at the idea. The puppy hated to admit it, but she was jealous of anybody who got too close to her friend. The very notion that Nezumi would someday be taken away by her prince on a white horse--away from Center--drove the girl into heartache.

For so long, Center had been watching Nezumi’s back, protecting it when needed. She loved the way the girl, true to her name, was calculating and cold in public, but would relax slightly when they were alone together. Hell, at first Center loved Nezumi just because she was cute, but lately she was feeling something else. A little more heartache whenever she saw the girl, a little bit giddier when they fought together, and just a little bit happier when Nezumi said her name.

“Center.”

The said girl jumped when she heard her name. She glanced at the sleeping figure beside her, and was mildly surprised to see her friend sleep talking.

“What’s wrong, Nezumi?” Center wanted to hit herself. It wasn’t like the other girl was conscious at the moment.

“Don’t...leave me…” A lone tear slipped down from Nezumi’s right eye, trailing down to the pillow. “Stay with me...please.”

Smiling to herself, Center gently brushed the tear away and replied, “Of course. I’ll stay as long as you want.” She pulled Nezumi closer and began to stroke her head.

The motions must have soothed the raven down, for Nezumi let out a shy little smile. Center’s heart skipped a beat at the peaceful sight.

So that’s what it is, Center mused to herself. I love her. The realization only made the moment seem more bittersweet; if Nezumi truly was in love with someone, then it was only a matter of time before they were separated.

Without warning, silent weeping released a stream of tears from the girl.. Awakened by the touch of salty tears on her cheek, Nezumi slowly stirred at found herself in the arms of a crying Center. That didn’t matter, though. She was utterly flummoxed as to why the taller girl was shedding tears.

“Center?” She ventured timidly. “What’s wrong?”

Her friend shook her head. “Nothing,” she sighed. “It’s just some nostalgia.”

That was obviously a lie. Sensing doubt, Center spoke again. “If you want, we can talk later. Just try to get to sleep again, okay?”

Nezumi opened her mouth to protest, but the other girl had already turned over and was now facing away.

She didn’t know how much time had passed, but it was evidently enough for Center to fall asleep. Contrary to her previous period of deep slumber, Nezumi was now wide awake and stuck that way. She had called out softly to see if her friend was in the same boat, but had received no reply.

“Well, you’re probably asleep by now,” Nezumi murmured. “But I have something to say.” She paused. Still no reply.

Continuing, she boldly confessed. “Center, for the longest time now, I have always wanted to tell you that I love you--please be mine.”

Silence awaited the girl, and with less resolve than before, Nezumi fell back asleep. Unbeknownst to her, Center had been awake the entire time and was now blushing furiously while grasping her heart. Mentally, she screamed, That idiot! Why didn’t she say so?

Sunlight filtered in through the window blinds, tenderly stirring the two sleeping girls. Nezumi, the first to wake, yawned loudly and roused the figure next to her.

“What is it?” Feeling suspicious about the Chesire cat grin her friend was giving her, Nezumi decided against asking about Center’s tears from last night.

“Oh, nothing,” came the reply.

“Eh, well I’m gonna use the bathroom, so you can get dressed in the meantime.” Center nodded, watching the girl scamper off into the adjoining room. Feeling better than ever, she pondered how to approach Nezumi about their mutual understanding.

Well, I guess I’ll just wait for her to make the first move or something. Actually, I’ll probably have to get her to admit her feelings. Center laughed to herself. That might take awhile though.

“I’ll wait as long as it takes,” Center declared to herself. After all, everything becomes a little different as soon as it is spoken out loud, right?

Offline Weird Panda

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Big fan of Donald Duck
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »
I squealed at the top of my voice, jumping and skipping with joy!
Oh... Cennezu/jurimayu really made my day. Thank you

Offline junchan

• Junchan48's second account. Yoroshiku~
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:06:47 AM »
That was cute~
JuriMayu fic is rare now, so thanks for this fic^^
And an epilogue gonna be great, author-san!
I'm a hardshipper of many pair! lol
Yoroshiku~

Offline Genkikid

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »
Ooohhh CenNezu kawaii!!!!

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Blackpink - See U Later