JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kou Shibasaki - Kage

Author Topic: Err, Thanks?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Err, Thanks?
« on: May 20, 2005, 12:14:02 PM »
This stems from a conversation some of us had on the IRC channel, and a bit of confusion on my part.

When do you thank someone for sharing a file?

I've seen a number of threads where people express hostility towards thank you posts, and strongly discourage them.

On the other hand, several other posters and I as well enjoy getting a reply after spending 2 hours struggling to get something properly uploaded to YSI.

So...

Thank you posts or not?
Sometimes?
Case by case?

:?

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
Err, Thanks?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 12:45:14 PM »
usually I just say thank you when I can add something more, like "this is the file I needed to end my pucchimoni collection" or whatever, or when someone provides a file I requested, or when it's an extremely rare/new file. I dunno why. maybe 'cause I'm a fucking leecher and I'd sound annoying saying "thanks" for every file out of the dozens I dl each week :P

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

LoveHaruru

Re: Err, Thanks?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »
Quote from: Asmodai

So...

Thank you posts or not?
Sometimes?
Case by case?

:?

It depends...take the J-Urban forum on JPM (FOR EXAMPLE), a lot of people there get whiney - and rightfully so, when they put up a YSI link, and it goes down by the third response.  With problems like that, the least the uploader wants you to do is thank them for taking the time to upload it and bring it to the board.

Another EXAMPLE, is the MM audio/video forums on JPM, where the ONLY posts some people seem to make are "thank you" posts.  Aren't there a few guys with over 100 posts of NOTHING but "thank you", "thanks", "ty", etc.?  That becomes annoying because you have these idiots who don't even contribute a thought, a download, or atleast three full sentences.  People are justified in being annoyed with that case.

So basically, on a forum, the "thank you" post (IMO) shows that you're atleast a greatful leecher.  Add an opinion with your "thank you" post, and you'll probably be respected even more because you're atleast contributing to the conversation.  What people these days do not realize is that forums are meant for discussion.  People uploading for the forum is a priveledge, but since that has become such a norm in the "Internet Jpop Community", people have forgotten to actually talk - or atleast thank the initial contributor.

Offline Gimme Dem Junks

• 66% SEXY. 33% HAWT. 1% EVIL!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Err, Thanks?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »
I really don't download that much so when I do, I'll usually say thanks.  But sometimes not.  It depends on whether I feel like being a spammer as well as a leecher.

Offline Philosoranter

• Third Member of Ninety-Nine
  • Member+
Err, Thanks?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »
I'm kind of with elgie on this.  I'll say thank you if someone answers my request, or if it's a special case like with some file I've been looking for for a while, but I'll never make a post that just says, "Thank you!"  It's just a +1 for me.

When I post stuff for download, the best thanks I can get comes after you've finished the download.  I could care less what people have to say while they're getting a file, but when I see someone discussing something I posted, I get happy.  Or if you want to post when you're still downloading, something like, "I'm really looking forward to this!", or some comment about the content.  Unlike some torrenters, I try to put a detailed description in when I post stuff - not just so people can know whether they have a file already, but so they have something to look forward to when downloading.

I guess what my thoughts boil down to is:  gratitude is appreciated, but "thank you" posts are still spam.

Offline Hamasaki_Yoshizawa

• 吉澤の用心棒
  • Member+
Err, Thanks?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 08:00:37 PM »
I try not to say just thank you all the time. But sometimes due to slow internet connection, I'm left with no choice. lol, j/k

Yeah, tons and tons of just Thank you in your total posts do piss me and other people off. It gets to the nerves sometimes. At least state something like what elgie and SG said.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Err, Thanks?
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Thanks for the responses.   :D

I'm a little less confused now.

Of course, I find the best thanks when I upload something for you is you uploading something too.  :)

Offline Purpus

• Purple Member
  • Member+
Re: Err, Thanks?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 01:58:36 AM »
Quote from: Asmodai
This stems from a conversation some of us had on the IRC channel, and a bit of confusion on my part.

When do you thank someone for sharing a file?

I've seen a number of threads where people express hostility towards thank you posts, and strongly discourage them. :?

Honestly, I've never seen anyone hostile toward a thank you.  What I've seen are people being hostile toward posters who do nothing else but request files and say thank you.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kou Shibasaki - Kage