JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Namie Amuro - Baby Don`t Cry

Author Topic: Help! Bored at work (UPDATED w/ song!)  (Read 2734 times)

Offline object 21

Help! Bored at work (UPDATED w/ song!)
« on: May 31, 2005, 04:58:53 PM »
Someone please save me from the boredom that is my job! They have me come in and work a full day despite the fact that they have absolutely nothing for me to do, so I just spend the whole day surfing the internet. I've already visted every site I know, filled out my student loan applications for next year, and discovered that it's really hard to learn origami over the internet (though I did make a pretty nice paper airplane I call "the dragon"). I can't even listen to my Hello! Project music here, so I'm going crazy.

Anyway, post interest sites for me to visit; ask me questions about life, love, the universe, and anything else and expect a quick reply; tell me what you are doing right now, so I can be jealous. Just please save me from my boredom before I have to resort to gossiping with the OLs. :evil:

UPDATE: Here's a song I've started writing as evidence of me going insane from boredom:

(SET TO THE TUNE OF THE PEACE)
Arrggh! I'm bored all day
what more must I say

ArrggH! I'm bored all day
what more must I say

BUT! I must earn pay
why can't I just be la-zy

but no longer can I stay (Yeah!)
(Oh~ PEACE)

EVERYBODY GET UP
save me from my boredom
LET'S GET UP (GET UP)
EVERYBODY SCREAM it's what I'd like to do
but then they'd fire me HAHAHAHA

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 05:11:40 PM »
http://www.livejournal.com/community/customers_suck/

it gets updated almost every minute with new stories so it's a good read. Plus, if you work in custome service it's a kind of catharsis.  :roll:

I'm getting bored at work too.

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline object 21

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:15:02 PM »
Quote from: elgie
http://www.livejournal.com/community/customers_suck/

it gets updated almost every minute with new stories so it's a good read. Plus, if you work in custome service it's a kind of catharsis.  :roll:

I'm getting bored at work too.

Thanks. I used to work in customer service (Blockbuster Video), so I can relate. People turn into the worst side of themselves when they find out they have late fees.

Offline elgie

• Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »
*reads lyrics*

And I thought my H!P IRC rants were at the top of boredom :lol:

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 07:20:13 PM »
It's simple really. Just leave your job.  :wink: I've heard a few horror stories from customer service. My brother, who works for the customer service department within the UK's postal service, recieved a telephone call from a female customer, who was furious because she didn't have a letter delivered to her. There was one part that really startled me though, if I can remember, it went something like:

Customer: Am I calling within England?
Bro: No, this is the call centre in Belfast.
Customer: Oh
Bro: What is it?
Customer: Oh it's ok, I understand now. I know what you Irish people are like.  :o

Offline object 21

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 07:42:05 PM »
Quote from: Tuffty
Customer: Oh it's ok, I understand now. I know what you Irish people are like.  :o

Wow. That's pretty bad. My least favorite customer from back in my Blockbuster days had to be the one we lovingly refered to as "the smelly guy." He was this extremely fat, creepy looking guy, who always wore the exact same green polo shirt every time he came to the store. At least, it used to be green; it was now virtually transparent from being worn so much. The guy smelled awful and when he returned his videos, they had some kind of slimey stuff on them. We used to clean everything he touched after he left. The scariest thing was that he usually rented children's videos, and there was no way this guy had kids.

BTW: I'm wondering how many days I can go here at work without having any work to do, before somebody actually cares.

Offline elgie

• Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 08:21:53 PM »
well I can say I'm of the privileged kind. I'm fairly well paid (almost twice the minimum wage in my country); and have to deal mostly with professionals (I'm in an hotel chain and our main customers are travel agencies) Despite that, it can get really stressful some days and some times I must go to the toilet to cry or just kick the wall. I'm not of the service kind..  :twisted:

I have some "rules" to make things easier for me though..

- Get the customer to say the full date of booking. Like, june the 17th. I know some bitches claim they stated they wanted to book for july when they find out they received a no-show, so I always make sure they'll say the full dates. This applies to any other thing concerning the booking: kind and number of rooms, kind of service, please would you kindly repeat which city, and so on.
- If there's no room, there's no room. I'm not going to take a trowel out of my ass and build a new hotel for you. And I'm not going to call the hundreds of hotels we work with in a city to ask for extra room. I don't mind whether the customer's already in the city, hey if you're going to a fair you should guess there's going to be trouble in finding a hotel.
- If some characteristics aren't clearly stated in my program, don't take for granted there's going to be communicated rooms/big bed/late check out/whatever. I'll ask the hotel the moment you want to make the reservation, but not before (OK this doesn't work always but I try).
- I don't mind whether you want to talk to XXX. I know 80% the times I'm equally, if not better, qualified to help you, esp. when all you want is to send a confirmation fax/change the customer's name/spell the hotel's direction/tell you the total amount. I won't bug my coworkers for shit like that (I hate it when they do it to me...)
- If you're rude, I'll be rude. I'm not worried about your complaints. As far as I know, there's only been one serious complaint because of my behaviour and even that wasn't so serious compared to what that bitch deserved. Although I may be a bit harsh, good nice customers know that I'm efficient and fast and that i barely screw things up; they know I'm honest and that if I tell them this hotel is fine and the customers will like it I'm telling them the truth. And plus, my boss knows I do twice the work a normal person and still get some time to study, read a book or surf the net. But, if anyone is rude to me, they'll learn I can be even more rude. Even bitchier. They can't imagine how bad I can get to be.

wow long.  :shock:

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline object 21

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 08:50:41 PM »
Quote from: elgie
If you're rude, I'll be rude. I'm not worried about your complaints. As far as I know, there's only been one serious complaint because of my behaviour and even that wasn't so serious compared to what that bitch deserved. Although I may be a bit harsh, good nice customers know that I'm efficient and fast and that i barely screw things up; they know I'm honest and that if I tell them this hotel is fine and the customers will like it I'm telling them the truth. And plus, my boss knows I do twice the work a normal person and still get some time to study, read a book or surf the net. But, if anyone is rude to me, they'll learn I can be even more rude. Even bitchier. They can't imagine how bad I can get to be.

I was always the same way. It was the nice customers that got the breaks and the nasty one's that got the "fuck you."

UPDATE on my job situation: I just got to do something! Someone sent me an email saying "Did you send so and so a copy of your memo" to which I replied "yes." Wasn't it totally worth it for me to come to work today?

Oh, and I just found out that they might have something for me to do some time tomorrow, though I still have to stay here for the rest of the day. Sigh. Three and a half hours to go.

Offline galaksi

• #JPH!P's Official Hi-Bot
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 09:07:33 PM »
You should join to JPM-XXX's very own IRC-channel ;D

Someone will ban me of this, but great jokes  http://www.dead-baby-joke.com/
And hot girls http://clean.scanlover.com/main.php
galax & shirenu would be a cute couple <3
galax+shirenu = <3
galax = evil.
hey Mrs. Vapour!