JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Atami Free Zone

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 14769 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Red Dead Redemption
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:37:22 AM »

America, early 1900's. The era of the cowboy is coming to an end.

When federal agents threaten his family, former outlaw John Marston is sent across the American frontier to help bring the rule of law. Experience intense gun battles, dramatic train robberies, bounty hunting and duels during a time of violent change.

Red Dead Redemption is an epic battle for survival in a beautiful open world as John Marston struggles to bury his blood-stained past, one man at a time.

Developed by Rockstar San Diego, Red Dead Redemption is coming for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on May 18, 2010 in North America and on May 21, 2010 in Europe.

Official Site
Wikipedia

Anyone else looking forward to this game as much as I am right now? Getting rave reviews right now, haven't seen anything less than a 9/10 right now.

I already know what's going to happen though. People gonna hate on this like they did with GTAIV. All the hype raised expectations on what people thought it could be and when they don't meet those unrealistic expectations people get disappointed. I'm essentially looking at this as GTAIV in the Wild West. Which is great for me because I think GTAIV is the best in the series.

If anything, I'm excited that I maybe get to live out certain Roland Deschain moments.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:26 AM »
I think this one may be great, but I am more interested in Mafia II right now. Considering this western theme never appealed to me, that's not hard to understand.
I believe the only western movie I enjoyed was Unforgiven but even so, that movie is so great that I believe it is way being its genre.

Two of my cousins are buying this game, so I'll probably get it from one of them when they finish it.
But still, it does look fenomenal and knowing Rockstar's reputation, I think that at the very least, it'll be really damn good!

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »
I'm disappointed by the lack of a PC version. It does look like it could be fun, though, and a nice change up from the GTA-style universe. Here's hoping for a PC version next year.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
I'd love to play it, the setting alone makes this exceptional, I loved western movies as a kid, but sandbox games are time consuming beasts, I'd never finish it, I'll pass.

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:23:20 PM »
I can't wait for the game to come out next week. The  Game Stop near me is doing a midnight release party.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »
Apparently there's an achievement in this game if you tie a woman to the rail road tracks.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »
^^ LOL

Looks like PS3 owner get exclusive content (at least in the US)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/14/red-dead-redemption-gets-exclusive-content-on-ps3/

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
Good thing I own a PS3. :)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:19:55 AM »
Lets see western setting? I loooove westerns! Grand Theft Auto like game? GTA is probably one of my top 3 game series.

Been looking forward to it for quite a while. :thumbup Probably pick it up tomorrow.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »
Giant Bomb's Quick Look

Even hunting animals looks like hella fun! That's all the gameplay I need to see. Can't wait til Friday.

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »
Wow Brad is terrible at it! I was fairly easily taking out 20+ dudes at bandit hideouts and he gets killed by a couple guys trying to hide behind a rock. XD

Game is pretty fun so far a few hours in. Love the feel of the horses and the guns have a much more "meaty" feeling than GTA.

The random encounters are hard to judge sometimes. Like a bunch of guys will go running or riding by and it's hard to tell what your supposed to do. I saw some guy being dragged screaming for help so I killed the people that had him only to find out they were the law and he was a criminal. So as a result my honor was tanked and I had a bounty. :/ Hunting/skinning/gathering is kinda grindy/tedious. I don't really seek it out anymore, just kinda do it as the opportunity comes along but I think there are some good rewards.

As people have said the world is really pretty at times. I jumped on top of a train at high noon and just rode around looking at all the scenery. :cool:

Offline Shuji-kun

• Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:41 AM »
Want... to... play... must resist the urge... I bought GTAIV and played it for 3 hours then never played it again.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
Wow Brad is terrible at it!

It's Brad we're talking about here! A guy so attached to video game deaths that there's a page entirely dedicated to it on Giant Bomb :lol:

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »
Want... to... play... must resist the urge... I bought GTAIV and played it for 3 hours then never played it again.

I would probably hold off, It's veeeeeery GTA-ish in the mission structures. I'm worried I might have a similar thing as with GTA4 where I get half way through then loose interest. Only to go back months later to finally finish.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
Got my copy today. There was something entirely appropriate when playing the game with a bit of facial stubble, in a tight fitting pair of jeans and having the sun beating down something fierce on me. Kind of added to the experience.

Enjoying it so far, the setting is really impressive. Nice to see a Rockstar game without this dense urban landscape. The guns feel like real instruments of death though. Can't wait to shoot dudes with my six-shooter.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »
Oh wow. Just mucking about in the world I had visited the saloon at night and spent a short while in there before some commotion was going happening and people were running and screaming. I looked outside and there was a guy pinning a woman down by the throat and he started cutting her. I immediately got into fisticuffs with him and even tackled him to the ground where, nothing really happened, I guess he blocked any followup punches I was throwing. But he started running away afterwards and I chased him for a bit hoping to catch up but I realised I couldn't so I shot him in the leg with my six-shooter. Then proceeded to wail on him a bit more just outside of town with my fists and just left him there. When I went back, the woman was dead so I decided to drown my sorrows in the saloon.

A little later I walk walking down the street and this posse on horseback had ran through the town firing their guns in the air and shouting while I man was being dragged along the back of one of the horses. What a game.

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
I just beat RDR. The ending was definitely something I didn't expect. I won't spoil it for everybody else who is still playing.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:29 AM »
I was iffy on it but after hearing what Giantbomb said about it on their podcast, I am interested
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
I just beat RDR. The ending was definitely something I didn't expect. I won't spoil it for everybody else who is still playing.

Yea, I thought it was a really cool way to continue. Spoilers: Although I'm still not sure the motivations of "Ross" doing "it" made complete sense to me. Then again I haven't done all the stranger missions or read the newspapers besides the last one.

Overall it was a pretty excellent game with some memorable moments. I'll never forget the moment right after crossing to Mexico, riding over a hill, seeing the moon and stars slowly come into view, when all the sudden a song starts playing out of nowhere.

"so far so far awaaaaay" Beautiful. :farofflook:

Then the middle third with the Mexican army/revolution missions almost bored me to death but once I got to the Indian gang/Government stuff it was really really awesome all the way till the end.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
My brother got this a little while ago and I started playing, but couldn't really get into the whole game. It was fun to go around and do missions for a bit, but after only a few hours I've pretty much given up on the actual game. I used codes to get the weapons and started firebombing the hell out of Armadillo. Now I'm trying to find fun ways to kill people. I hog tied a guy and put him on the train tracks. Another time I lassoed a runaway prisoner and as I was getting off the horse, a wolf ate him. :lol: I wonder if you can put bait on a hog tied person and let the animals have at him.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Atami Free Zone