JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Olivia - Denial

Author Topic: 'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Official Persona thread  (Read 29516 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Official Persona thread
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

You know the score about these games. I'm amazed that there isn't even a topic on this series already!

I first found out about the games as I was playing through Digital Devil Saga, another great RPG in the SMT series (seriously, look it up if you're interested). I was ready for more JRPG goodness so when I kept reading reviews and gameplay for Persona 3 I was immediately sold. And it was everything I could want and more. Great gameplay, lots to do and an incredible, unconventional story with the most likeable characters. The dubbing was perhaps one of the most impressive things about it, it wasn't awkward or jilted, it flowed really naturally and the VA's gave some great performances with a well written script. As with any other SMT game it slightly hinges on the occult or morbid, what other game requires it's teenage protaganist to shoot himself in the head to unlock his power? I loved it all, and I still think it has the best opening to any game (Burn My Dread is still my ringtone)

Luckily at the time I finished, Persona 4 had just came out and surprisingly it was even better. Whether or not you prefer the story and cast to it's predecessor is up to you, personally, I'm always caught inbetween the two. It's certainly the most popular.

Two of the last great games on the PS2's lifespan and two fantastic games in their own right. Persona 5 has a lot to live up to, but I genuinely cannot wait til it arrives. There's been other releases since then, the first two Persona games and P3 have made their way to the PSP with a number of enhancements, and P4 will follow suit when it makes it's way to the PS Vita. Plus there's a P3/P4 crossover fighting game coming and a P4 anime to boot. Bring it on.

So this topic's all about the Persona-verse and to talk all bout it. What's been your favourite game thus far? Favourite character? Favourite S.Link? Are you playing any at the minute, and if so where are you at? Have you ever tried fighting Elizabeth or Margaret? and lived to tell the tale? Chat away! I will be contributing a lot more to this thread believe me.

Oh before I forget. Dat Chie :heart:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:58:43 PM by Tuffty »

Offline bonjourhello

• GOODDAYHELLO
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: 'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Persona thread
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
Loving this thread :luvluv2:
I first heard about the Persona series mainly P4 references on Deviantart a few years ago, and I looked up about it a bit but I thought that it was a much more violent/mature game than what it is- I think shooting yourself in the head gave me that impression  :nervous but the music was what got me excited for it.
P4s smile

and P3s "Burn my bread" pun and opening sequence pretty much was what sold the games to me.

I then heard that the UK was having a release for P4, saved up for it and brought it either the day it came out or a few days later. To be honest I didn't know what the game was going to be like, but I loved it and played it whenever I could.
After i finished P4 I went out on the lookout for P3 in the preowned sections for months until I found it one faithful day (should of ordered P3:FES I know but oh well) I've had it for well over 2 years(?) now and haven't got very far >__> I've only just got Fuuka in my party and on a mini boss battle.

Offline Meania

• shooting for the stars~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: 'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Persona thread
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:48:27 PM »
Yayy! I'm glad to see there's a Persona thread now~ (I kept looking for it but didn't want to make one myself since I don't know as much as all you pros :lol: )

I can't believe I felt like this game would be boring- bonbon kept telling me she wanted me to play P3, P4 or another game, Star Ocean, but they sounded too boring or fighty since I always find if the fighting is in real time or gets too difficult I can't play it! XD I fail/am just in it for fun and the storyline... Anyway, she must of not explained it to me quite right since after I saw the following comic/dub on youtube I thought the storyline looked kind of awesome:
(WARNING to Hart or other new players, this kind of contains some spoilers so you might want to avoid it!!)

I've seen the odd spoiler but I get the impression I don't know all the details about them yet so I better keep playing to find out!! :D
I'm up to mid October and I can tell it's about to get really serious! :O

:lol: I really want to play P3 now but I want to wait till P4 is all wrapped up before I start a new game for the beginning else I might not enjoy the ending so much when I go back to P4... hope bon doesn't mind me borrowing it for longer? XD

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: 'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Official Persona thread
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:34:55 AM »
You've only got Fuuka bon? You've got quite a ways to go yet :lol: I'd definately recommend P3 to you and Meanie, the story is equally as good as P4's particularly as it's approaching the end. I would hate to spoil it so I'll say no more other than everything about it is just incredible. The buildup, the actual end boss battle is one of the best in any game ever (the music in particular..it rivals that of One Winged Angel in FFVII) and finally the payoff is really satisfying. Try not to read too much about it online, it's at the stage where people freely discuss ending spoilers even in videos of the games soundtrack. I played all of P3 without reading a single thing and had a better time with it as a result.

Beat P4 first Meanie, twist Bon's arm if you have to XD Also I agree, stay away from the vid above if you haven't played P4 yet. It's hilarious for those who've played it already though.

Speaking of hilarious, the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of P4 had absolutely helped the game to make it as popular as it is over here in the West. In it, 2 video game journalists, Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Carravella, both go through the game from start to finish and add commentary to it. They make the game funnier still, but again, don't watch if you haven't played before. Here's an early taste:

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »
Must. Avoid. Spoilers. While watching Nanako sing again and again.  :lol:
I already know what happens in P3. I'll get P3:FES eventually.

Who's ready to watch the P4 anime next month?

*sigh if I had gotten to this game earlier, I would've gotten a P4 cosplay outfit ready for NYCC/NYAF.

How come I didn't see this guy at AX 2 years ago?

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »
Speaking of hilarious, the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of P4 had absolutely helped the game to make it as popular as it is over here in the West. In it, 2 video game journalists, Jeff Gerstmann and Vinny Carravella, both go through the game from start to finish and add commentary to it. They make the game funnier still, but again, don't watch if you haven't played before. Here's an early taste:

The only reason I know what happens in P4 is because of Giant Bomb. If you want to play it, I do recommend that you play it before watching this. If you were like me and just wanted to see what happens (also, I am a fan of Giant Bomb in general) then by all means watch them play it all.

http://www.giantbomb.com/shin-megami-tensei-persona-4/61-21373/videos/

Also, every day's great at your Junes motherfuckers.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
I have to admit I still haven't played P3 or P4 despite owning both of them... am I even allowd to post in this thread? XD

Ok my introduction to Persona games was with Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment for PS1, I only played it a bit though, my english was too bad back then to make sense of it, but I was hooked to the franchise as soon as I discovered the cover of the game on ebay! (yeah that's how I came across this game, and I can't even remember what I actually was looking for when I accidently discovered it XD)
I kept an eye on Atlus, because I felt they were the company releasing the kind of dark and adult themed rpg's that I was so desperately looking for and a few years later they would release SMT Avatar Tuner and SMT Devil Summoner. which I both played and loved. I also have SMT Nocturne but the allegedly insane difficult level has kept me from playing it since now.

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »
So after my first anime convention, I now need Persona 3 at least. Should I get Persona 3 or Persona 3 FES? FES is a lot cheaper, but I'm unsure if it also has the whole original game within it as well? :?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out. Bought FES for $18 with free shipping within Australia :thumbup Hopefully it arrives before my holidays finish.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:22:47 PM by Deft-Monkey »

Offline electric mole

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
aww man i miss this game. played 3 & 4 on my ps2 (never got to beat it tho =/). really enjoyed it. especially all the social links or whatever.

kinda want to get a psp for P3P....

oooh..

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
'Aha! Is this our chance?!' - The Official Persona thread
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Guess what came in the mail today?

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Question for all of you:

What do you name your main characters?
Do you use the official names?

For now I'm naming my P4 protagonist Keyser Soze.  :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:53:06 AM »
I call him after my real name. Pretty weird for a Japanese teen to have a Christian name but well there you go. I am from the city after all :P

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
Popularity leads to intimacy.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
Popularity leads to intimacy motherfucker.

Some gameplay taken from TGS of Persona 4 : The Ultimate in Mayanoka Arena

I'm so maining Chie.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:14 AM »
I like how the combos show up on the side of the being getting hit.

Also, I don't want to be a biter but I don't want to play as anyone other than Chie. I really want to kick dudes to the meat dimension.

Offline Meania

• shooting for the stars~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »
I named my character Souji Seta since bon told me that was the characters name (I'm awful with making up names so I went with Souji~)

So uh I'm in November right now in P4~
[spoilers and annoying rambling] asdfghjk; WHAT is this?! This is the first time a game has ever made me get out of my seat and leave the room without realising it to flail around at the twists!! I was so worried about selecting "telling the truth" since you know who is right in the room (but I looked it up before clicking it and realised I'm not at risk of getting a bad ending just yet so I'm ok) and then the plot and all that car chase and GAHH D: This game- I love this game!!! D<

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
That moment. Goddammit. I didn't even do any S.Link stuff. I was at the dungeon the whole time until I could rescue her. That big choice you have to make comes a lil after you beat that dungeon. You'll definately know it when you see it. Be careful about which choices to make if you want to see the good ending. Do you know you have to do certain things as well on the final day if you want the real good ending?

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
I probably won't reach where meania is until next year.  :nervous

Want to know what the outcome is for the choices you didn't make? Don't want to reset the game to repeat the same dialogue over and over again to see these outcomes? Most of them are pretty much the same results, unless they help increase S. Links or stats. Some of them are amusing.

Then check out KaddyGamer's channel on youtube.

There's also videos on Persona 3, P3:FES, and P3P.

Grrr. Wish I could've gotten these frames earlier this year. Would've had to pay more to get perscription lenses fitted than to order the frames.  :(

Before I go back to playing,

Persona 4 is REAL!!!  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
Persona 4 anime will air in 2 weeks.

Thurs, Oct 6th, 1:30 JST on MBS
Fri, Oct 7th, 1:55 JST on TBS
Wed, Oct 12th, 2:00 JST on CBC

Here's the latest trailer:

And here's the opening theme song:

Need to hurry up in the game if I want to stay ahead of the anime.

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
Reading through this thread and fighting the temptation to look at the spoilers. Must be patient! :bleed eyes:

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Olivia - Denial