JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Chong-Dong ~ Impulse

Author Topic: Favorite albums/singles/songs of 2009 (International Edition)  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Favorite albums/singles/songs of 2009 (International Edition)
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
Again, mirroring the Japanese thread of similar purpose, here's the thread where you can list and rank your favorite music of 2009, regardless of origin. Check out the thread for 2008 here for examples.

So yeah, you can list your 2009 top albums, singles, releases, rap albums, polka ep's, anything. Any kind of format is fine, of course. Simple lists or thorough reviews, just go for it.

Other Ideas: Worst releases/biggest disappointments, music discovered (not necessarily released) in 2009, top <insert country> releases

Feel free to reserve a spot and edit your post later.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Favorite albums/singles/songs of 2009 (International Edition)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »
Off the top of my head.  No second thoughts.

Pop:
SNSD
Animal Collective
The-Dream
Julian Lynch
Electric Red
Abner Jay
2NE1

Other:
Kreng
Israël Quellet
Hecker

Drone:
Li Jianhong
Hitoshi Kojo
Noveller
John Wiese & C. Spencer Yeh
Nobuo Yamada
Bee Mask
The Goslings & Warmth
Jana Winderen

Rock:
GreenAppleQuickStep
Pheonix
Future of the Left
Panicsmile
百蚊
にせんねんもんだい
Melt-banana
Yolz in the sky

Hip-Hop:
G-side
Raekwon
DJ Quik & Kurupt
Lil B
Mos Def
Z-Ro
Gucci Mane

Improv/Jazz:
Borah Bergman Trio
Neokarma Jooklo Experience
Xu Cheng
Nate Wooley / Fred-Lonberg Holm / Jason Roebke
Flower-Corsano Duo
No-Neck Blues Band
Colin McLean / Andy Moor
Birgit Uhler
Tetuzi Akiyama / Toshimaru Nakamura
Brothers of the Occult Sisterhood
Albero Rovesciato

Techno:
Shackleton
Kettenkarussel
Shed
Function-Sandwell Presents mix
Scuba
Terre Thaemlitz
Mount Kimbie
Kassem Mosse
Cio D’Or
Moritz Von Oswald Trio
Omar-S
STL
Redshape
Emptyset

A buncha good music this year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:29:52 AM by iacus »

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:13:23 AM »
Top 5 Kpop:

1. 2NE1 - 1st Mini Album
2. SNSD - Gee
3. Super Junior - Sorry Sorry Ver. C
4. G-Dragon - Heartbreaker
5. IU - Vol. 1 Growing Up

May post more later. Jpop/ American stuff.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »
Top 10 Hip-Hop
1. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II :theking
2. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
3. DOOM - Born Like This
4. CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Volume Two
5. G-Side - Huntsville International
6. Brother Ali - US
7. Jay-Z - Blueprint III
8. Skyzoo - The Salvation
9. Ghostface Killah - Ghostdini: The Wizard of Poetry in Emerald City
10. Don Johnson Big Band - Records Are Forever

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
Los De Atrás Vienen Conmigo - Calle 13
Barracuda - Kinky
Sin Frenos - La Quinta Estación
Coba Coba - Novalima

Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
i find it hard to listen to whole albums.  

I guess the one album that sticks to me having the most tracks i really liked and still listen to after 2 weeks of release would have to be Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon/End of the Day.  Thats Emo done right =P sorry Kanye.

Singles, imma have to go with Ravex - Golden Luv feat. Maki Goto.  That track gave me so much memories of old school house/dance music in the late 90s.  BoA's Eien is a dope track and video.  

also, i don't care, but Drake - Best I Ever Had is still bangin' on my mp3 player still =P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:27:40 PM by MochaNutz »
word.

Offline BX_LeMans

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
My Fav this year : Rammstein : Liebe ist für alle da! Got mine in austria cause its on the list in germany(means no cm's, no open selling, no selling under 18).

Means the government prohibits an album with nearly platin-status! They're nuts!

And these damn hiphoppers can call for brutality and crime against women, children and anyone else open in their songs!!!

Ein Überangebot an spontaner Gegenliebe hat das neue Album von RAMMSTEIN auf den Pop-Olymp getragen. Nach der ersten Verkaufswoche stand “Liebe ist für alle da!” unerreicht auf Platz 1 aller Verkaufslisten und kann sich damit schon jetzt des Platins sicher sein.
Nichts ist stärker als die Liebe. Folgerichtig konnte sich auch die erste Singleauskopplung „Pussy“ – als erster Song von Rammstein – ebenfalls auf der Eins platzieren. Das Ausland steht Kopf. Die Weltherrschaft naht.

Viele Länder meldeten den höchstmöglichen Einstieg in die jeweiligen Charts. Das Album belegte die Pole Position in Deutschland, Österreich, Mexiko, Finnland, Holland, Dänemark, in der Tschechischen Republik sowie in der Schweiz. Auf Platz 3 der Charts stieg das Album in Schweden, Frankreich und Belgien ein.
Weitere Top 10 Platzierungen wurden aus Australien, Ungarn, Norwegen, Polen, Portugal und Spanien gemeldet. In den USA stieg “Liebe ist für alle da” auf # 13 in die Billboard Charts ein – das ist der höchste Chart Einstieg der Band in den Vereinigten Staaten allerzeiten!
I'm not the signature, I'm just cleaning here.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
I admit I've been rather out of the loop this year. It's just nothing I've heard from the radio or tv is otherwise boring mediocre indie carbage, or boring mediocre pop garbage. The discovery of Last.fm has been a real boost to finding bands that I would like, but even the bands they suggest are either a) inactive b) haven't released any new material in 2009 or c) dead.

Thankfully though there was one standout album for me this year:

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

Let me say that I consider Josh Homme as my idol. Makes great music and if you've ever seen him being interviewed, he is the coolest guy in the world, making insightful answers but also making sure to include plenty of great quotes and sharp wit. Kyuss, QOTSA, Desert Sessions, Eagles of Death Metal, I pretty much love it all. So imagine my excitement when I heard he was teaming up with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones for a side project. As it turns out, I wasn't disappointed. Epic sounds with some fantastic riffs, it's more QOTSA than Zeppelin or Foo Fighters, but secretly, it's what I was hoping for. Simply put, if you like rock music, there's no reason why you can't find anything not to love on this album

Runner Up: This Is The One - UTADA

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »
No particular order but I made some lists.

Top 5 rap albums (since I can only recall listening to 9 the whole year  :lol:)

Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon: The End of Day

The sleeper album & rapper for me. I wasn't initially sold on the man. I heard Day N Nite well before hearing the album which I liked but that didn't sell it for me. But after hearing the positive comments for Cudi and the album, I figured that I should try it out. And then I realized why he was getting all this rave reviews. Depending on how you want to label this concept album (fever dream, pseudo-biography etc..) the album sets a mood and maintains the atmosphere for the entire album. If there is any drawback, it might stick to the plan a little too well. (Which might not be a drawback at all) Broken up in five acts, and narrated by Common, its an experience that ill admit took more than one listen through to wrap my head around it but once I did, I was glad I spent the money to buy it.

Slaugherhouse - Slaughterhouse
Shit goes hard. Along with Kid Cudi, I knew of the group consisting of Crooked I, Royce Da 5'9", Joe Budden & Joell Ortiz but wasn't sold on them either. (What is up with me not accepting people quickly?) But hearing some songs here and there, I knew that this 4 headed monster was a group I should pay attention to. And from the opening track "Sound Off" where each rapper goes slowly but on a dime all go into double time speed for the second half of their verses, you sorta know right off the bat what kind of album you are gonna get. The only real drawback on this album is the stupid skits. They aren't funny and honestly make no real sense, but that is a small price to pay for an impressive first album from the group and lays down the blueprint for better albums in the future from Slaughterhouse.

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II
I am a Wu head. And it's safe to say that most if not all Wu-Tang fans would agree that the original album from Rae is one of the best solo albums from Wu. It was a classic criminal movie in audio form. And so for Raekwon to announce that Pt. II was gonna release in 09, I was excited but very skeptical that a sequel to a classic album was going to drop. Most sequels don't live up to the original. But to my surprise, Pt. II lives up quite well. After Papa Wu & Rae welcome you back to the North Star, "House Of Flying Daggers" is a high energy track and reminded me why in the blue hell I am a Wu-Tang fan in the first place. The only real minuses I have against this album that there are 22 tracks, versus the 18 on the original. And even if the sequel's runtime is shorter than the original, I felt that there are too many filler tracks, though those filler tracks are better than the majority of rap music today, cutting away just a few songs would have made a huge difference. Runtime aside, Pt. II compliments the original just how all sequels should.

Method Man & Redman - Blackout! 2
2009 felt like 1993 all over again. Method Man came with Redman to drop a sequel to the original Blackout! and along with OB4CL2, it achieved its job. From the intro, I re-learned why Meth & Red made a dope combination. Hip Hop's Cheech & Chong delivers a piece of work that even when it was released in 1st half of 09, made an impact on me to claim it one of my rap albums of the year. "Dangerus MCees" and the Bun B featured "City Lights" are some of the quality songs on BO2. There are sadly songs that don't stack up as well, mostly due to the sometimes lazy rhyming that the pair do, but the whole is better than the sum of its parts and if you want some smoked out rap, Blackout! 2 is that album.

Drunken Tiger/Tiger JK - Feel gHood Muzik: The 8th Wonder
Doesn't matter if you call him Drunken Tiger or Tiger JK, the fact remains that he dropped for lack of a better term a dope ass double LP. Dude has full songs in both Korean and English. It was just a joy to listen to this album. But with most double LPs, there are a ton of filler songs, but that doesn't prevent you from enjoying what Tiger loves to do, and he just loves to rap. Features from his beautiful wife and dope rapper in her own right, Tasha and appearances from Rakka from Dilated People and the God MC Rakim himself (Who BTW is my favorite rapper of all time) on the english version of "Monster", this double LP proves that hip hop can exist and thrive everywhere in the world.

Honorable Mentions:
e.via - e.via a.k.a. happy e.vil
Too many skits bog the album down, but this rookie is a prime example of what hip hop originally was, an expression of one self with the usage of the five elements of hip hop.

UGK - UGK 4 Life
The first and only album from UGK after the death of Pimp C, and it is a shining example of the type of music you expect from UGK. Rest in Peace Pimp C.

Other genres top picks

Utada: This Is The One
I bought this album the same day I bought Raekwon's album, and I loved it. From "Come Back to Me" and "Apple and Cinnamon", this 13 track album demonstrates why I am a Utada fan. It has songs for many people, it is focused and it's an album I can damn near recommend to anyone. (Bonus, the booklet that comes with the CD is some high quality glossy paper and some good pictures of Utada in them)

2NE1 - The First Mini Album
It might be a stretch to call them the Korean female Slaughterhouse, but this 4 headed monster released an impressive mini album, and a rookie group while their time promoting the album absolutely demolished their competition. 2NE1 put the streets on "Fire" and it seems like they won't be stopping for anyone. (They also get thumbs up from me for repping Street Wear clothing to the fullest)

SNSD - THE FIRST MINI ALBUM - Gee
I can't fake the funk. I am a Girls' Generation fan. But I have to admit, I didn't become a fan until literally the day after they ended Gee promotions, and I had their Baby Baby album a year before Gee but still wasn't a fan. Regardless, Gee stands out for me because, well it tugged at my zombie heart strings. "힘 내! (Way To Go)" is a one hell of an uplifting song.  There has been way more than enough said about "Gee" but I gotta mention "Destiny" because that song goes hard as fuck.

I might post some more lists later but that is the majority of my thinking. I hope someone reads all this  XD

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:34:29 AM by thatonezombie »
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
stuff i liked a lot this year (no particular order):

-2NE1 (Group) [Korea]
-UTADA - This Is The One (Album) [America]
-Alphabeat - The Spell (Album) [Denmark]
-Regina Spektor - Far (Album) [America]
-Royksopp - Junior (Album) [Norway]
-The Lonely Island (Group) [America]
-Drunken Tiger - Monster (English ver.) (feat. Rakim, Rakka (of Dilated People), Roscoe Umali, T) (Song) [Korea]
-SHINee - JULIETTE (Song) [Korea]
-4MNUTE - For Muzik (Album) [Korea]
-G-Dragon - Heartbreaker (Album) [Korea]
-Owl City (Artist) [America]

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »

Top 10 HiP HoP Albums of 2009

1. Raekwon-Only_Built_4_Cuban_Linx_Pt_II

The Wu is back. So many crime joints, makes u wanna raise your cup. inspirational ODB track to boot. The best and most personal.

2. N.A.S.A. - The Spirit Of Apollo

Putting all those artists on one album was one of the most surprising collabo joints around. And the hidden track by RZA was my anthem for my love

3. Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon The End Of Day

really - didn't feel much for the track that was all over radio - but his joint with Common and Kanye was :yep:

4. Method Man & Redman - Blackout 2

Angrier than Ever!!

5. Del - Funk Man ( the stimulus package)
6. VA-The_Rza_Presents_Afro_Samurai-Resurrection-OST
7. Mick Boogie + Peter Bjorn & John
8. Killah Priest - Untold Story Of Walter Reed
9. Wu-Tang - Chamber Music
10. Snoop Dogg-Malice n Wonderland

Honorable mention: ODB - Message To The Other Side
.... even tho I heard most of the album before. The Intro really hit me.

my fave Pop / Rock albums of the year.

1. Alicia_Keys-The_Element_Of_Freedom

so beautiful, each an anthem for loving :sex:  - with no guest rapper or auto tune - the Beyonce duet is just pudding in the donut.

2. Rihanna-Rated_R

shit if u thoughtt her last album was badass, this is will fuck you up!

3. Mary_J_Blige-Stronger_WithEach_Tear
4. Utada - This Is The One
5. Taylor Swift - Fearless
--- i think it took that "She wears shorts skirts, I wear T-shirts" line that did me in :sweatdrop:

Offline whiteleppard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »
Michael Bormann Capture The Moment.  One of the best albums I've ever heard, and the vocals are killer.

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Chong-Dong ~ Impulse