JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Gojuu-on

Author Topic: (Group) Passpo☆  (Read 567483 times)

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
Re: (Group) Passpo☆
« Reply #1100 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:01 PM »
I also found another one (not sure if it's ok to mention it). So the two of them will probably satisfy my Passpo discussion needs.
I don't think there are any rules against that, I couldn't really find any good sites aside from this, there is the passpofan site but it doesn't seem very active.

Offline clem84

• Member+
« Reply #1101 on: February 18, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
I also found another one (not sure if it's ok to mention it). So the two of them will probably satisfy my Passpo discussion needs.
I don't think there are any rules against that, I couldn't really find any good sites aside from this, there is the passpofan site but it doesn't seem very active.

Yeah that's the one. forums.passpofan.com. It seems less active than this one but I signed up anyway. :)

Offline Akokyuu

« Reply #1102 on: February 18, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
Basically, they are just talking about what we are talking here. Once I posted few interesting links here, and they quoted my post asking to the member to come here if they wanted to thanks me (even if in fact, I also have an account there).
The interesting this is that, here, we can have several other groups so, it still better anyway :)

Well let's hope they leave the songwriting/recording to the professionals...I'd rather hear a few seasoned middle-aged metal musicians rip it up like they do on Mask, Fake, Wing, I and Next Flight. :rock:
They are professional you know? :D
And they already wrote a few songs. I really enjoy to know that they are working on their music, even if the quality should be impacted a little.

That being said, the transition of pure idols into idols playing instruments live during concerts is imo the coolest thing ever done in the business so full credits to the girls for that!   
It's something people would kill me for that : Scandal is typically this kind of group. They wasn't really playing instruments at the beginning. And then they learned. (But it was something they had to do contrary to PASSPO that didn't had any need for that)
Sorry for my english! I'll try my best.

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1103 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
Wow, so much posts in such short time :shocked

Anyway I add my tow cents:
Regarding the comment on Aipon
quote: "I think she's a heck of a leader though she may not act like the type"
I know what you mean. I share the same feelings. She always comes out as the "My Pace" person, not being serious (her funny grimaces every time :lol:). But when you watch more closely, she is the spokesperson of the group and well respected by everyone. Perfect captain!

Morishi is the lead singer in my eyes, too. Aipon of course has the same or even slightly more amount of lines, but this is due to her being the captain and the management (rightfully) want to put the focus on her for standing out with her looks. At least this is my opinion. Morishi on the other hand gets leads in basically all songs, and gets all the difficult parts (like the cries in WING). Her vocal range is much wider in her major songs (Dear my friend) than songs with Aipon (Shang Shang Chandelier).

Regarding their music style and Band Passpo I see it not that much of a problem, if they play more songs themselve. Passpo always switched between simple songs and skillful ones. And what they do instrumentally with Perfect Sky, Break Out, or Shiny Road let's me look to their musical future very optimistic. I hope they will do a One Man Live as Band Passpo some time.

I could write more, but I leave it with that ;)

Favourite Idol: Yanagisawa Ayano
Favourite Groups: PASSPO & Party Rockets GT

Offline clem84

• Member+
« Reply #1104 on: February 19, 2015, 05:38:29 AM »
Hi and welcome Clem84!
Glad to see new fans :).

Hum indeed they don't have blu-ray, but even on DVD, the quality you can have is really poor. They are recording their flights without thinking of lots of details, so the quality isn't really great. Especially for the lights. So we don't really need blu-ray for that kind of images (imo).

Well they have 1 bluray but sadly it's not really about the music. :)

You know, I saw bits and pieces of three of their shows. Wing FES live is nothing special IMO. "Next Flight FES live" and the other one "Shibuya Kokaido"(?), were much better visually. Having a Bluray of those would have been great. Oh well...

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1105 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:59 PM »
^ I was ordering some stuff from amazon and got this as well just because it was so cheap  :twothumbs

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B008ANZIK6

She's a fantastic singer but I don't consider her as the lead vocalist. She's sharing that with Aipon (and more, Aipon still have the lead, and Mori second imo).
I'm pretty sure that officially she is the lead vocalist.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:54:01 PM by immergeil »

Offline hanji

• Member+
« Reply #1106 on: February 20, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »
The rock unit of Platinum has one girl with a powerful (rock)voice and their pop unit has two: :panic:

Predia - Wing

Offline mixedmedia

• Member+
« Reply #1107 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:24 AM »
The people writing and contributing songs for PASSPO aren't just any "seasoned middle-aged metal musicians". The former bassist founded one of Japan's respected thrash metal bands and two of the current members are formerly of Sex Machineguns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_%28band%29

I figure if they really tried, the members could write their own songs but, watching the whole TOKYO GIRLS STYLE "artist declaration" thing develop, the creative process is really hard. Even a lot of these so-called respected artists have a team of people composing/arranging and writing lyrics for them. Three of the girls from Dorothy Little Happy "self-produced" their side project and there was some criticism that it was derivative of some other groups.

Sakoti, Anya, and Mio seem to be really good at their instruments. Aipon seems to have gotten better too. The problem with them playing instruments is that it takes longer to set up than if they were just to sing and dance to prerecorded music. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad since they seem to be performing EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE recently.

Sakoti's also good at dancing because she works hard. As she always says "I will earnestly try my best today" (Kyou mo majime ni ganbarimasu) if I'm remembering it correctly. Anya on the other hand seems very natural with her dancing.

Akane and Morishi are very similar (not just because they have short hair) because they have those voices that feel like they could knock down a brick wall. But, that's just my opinion.

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1108 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
I heard about DLH's attempts which I find a great decision. Exploring their own talents but still keeping DLH alive. Similar I could imagine with PASSPO. But what about TGS? Haven't heard stories by them.

I don't really see time issues with the band format, at least not for One Man's. Festivals could be a different matter. But I doubt that they will make extensive touring as Band anyway. Even now the Live Band is just performing at special lives in Tokyo. They don't have the money (and success) for the extra costs (transports of instruments, a road crew,...)

And agreed: Akane is a great vocalist! Rumira too.

Offline mixedmedia

• Member+
« Reply #1109 on: February 20, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
I should remember the members of predia but they went and did their profile page like palet's which is pretty useless. Hopefully, they don't mess up PASSPO's page like that. What is the point of listing the members' info where it's not next to their picture?

Off topic: TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE made a declaration that they would stop performing at idol events and doing their cute songs and try to be "serious artists" which sounds like it will fail since the bulk of their fans are used to the idol system and I don't think they're popular enough to make it as an artist. Maybe if they managed to sell out Tokyo Dome or even the Budokan, maybe they would have a chance? I don't like the way that it makes it seem that idols are lower than artists. The way I look at it is that artists have the illusion of being more free since they're in charge of the music but at the same time, they have to make music that appeals to a wider range of people since they can't/shouldn't be doing things like making their fans buy multiple CDs for handshakes and chekis. Anyway, we'll see how their new single does (which Miyu wrote the lyrics too).

Since PASSPO already has Hacchake-tai, maybe they can do some other sub-groups as well? Sakoti, Anya, Mio, Aipon, and Morishi as a 5-piece rock band?

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1110 on: February 20, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »
Has Predia changed their site? Last time I looked they had pretty good profiles. Pictures, Names, Likings, etc. Must check it later.

Thanks for the TGS summary. I agree in most parts. But I guess the girls assume a difference in being idols or being a Girl Group. The latter refrains from direct fan interaction. But in my opinion this doesn't make them better in any way. Probably has a lot to do with the perception of the general public. They regard idols as less (although they work much more than Girl Groups imo). And even idols can write their own songs. PASSPO did it and much other groups.

I like your Rockband ;) The rest can keep up Hacchake Tai:P
Morishi should become a solo artist / Band lead vocalist in her after-idol-live!

Offline hanji

• Member+
« Reply #1111 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:06 PM »
The people writing and contributing songs for PASSPO aren't just any "seasoned middle-aged metal musicians". The former bassist founded one of Japan's respected thrash metal bands and two of the current members are formerly of Sex Machineguns.

Akane and Morishi are very similar (not just because they have short hair) because they have those voices that feel like they could knock down a brick wall. But, that's just my opinion.

No disrespect intended. Yokoyamasan (a big loss), Akutsusan, Yahirosan and co. are great musicians.

As much as I like Shiori, and she has improved a lot lately, but imo Akane is in a different league, together with Kaori of KRGS/Chewing High.
Shiori comes right behind them with Chisato (KRGS), Su-metal and Rumina on my favorites-list.

Off topic: TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE made a declaration ...

Sakoti, Anya, Mio, Aipon, and Morishi as a 5-piece rock band?

This 'artist declaration' sounds rather pretentious to me. I'm in favour of an 'Idol declaration', like Gacharic Spin's Gachadan!

Yeah, that would be the way to go. Play small gigs and build up a live reputation. I guess Mio will be on your side.

Offline bluewind78

• Member+
  • Juice=Juice Fanatic
« Reply #1112 on: February 21, 2015, 02:41:05 AM »
Sakoti, Anya, Mio, Aipon, and Morishi as a 5-piece rock band?

Now, THAT is a lineup I'd approve!!  :thumbup :thumbup.

I remember in a Free-Flight episode with Sako, Annya and Miomio (was it last year?), they kinda bragged that with just the three of them, they wouldn't even need other members to function (as a rock band)  :love:

Anyway, this trio is my absolute favourite because the three have such tight friendship.

Add to the mix, Morishi..and she would shout the house down with her powerful vocals and Aipon would add depth to the band behind the keyboard.
Choice & Chance: A Juice=Juice Fanfiction:
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=42253.0

Offline mixedmedia

• Member+
« Reply #1113 on: February 21, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
I figured I would add Aipon since she was pretty impressive on they keyboards at the New Year's Day concert and she could also provide some good vocals so Morishi wouldn't have to do everything. Based on what little I know about PASSPO band, Naomi, Yukkii, Nachu, and Makocchan didn't really contribute much but they had to do something for "Perfect Sky".

Maybe if Yukkii became a percussionist with bongos and chimes and whatnot, she could make it a 6-piece? I don't underestimate the value of a good "manipulator" but, you need to be contributing something aside from a few scratches and accents to make it worthwhile to set up all that equipment in my opinion. I can't stand when the DJ of a hip-hop group (or any genre) just jumps up and down and claps or throws cakes into the crowd! Do some actual mixing or something live!

Off topic: I only got to appreciate TGS recently and for them to do this kind of thing definitely seem pretentious given their position. Sell out Tokyo Dome and just naturally stop appearing at smaller idol events! Regardless of whatever declarations they want to make, they still look like idols! E-girls and Perfume seem to have graduated to being "artists" because they sell out big arenas, don't really look like idols, and are really good at what they do. Idols are defined by how accessible they are. You can meet them at a release event and shake their hand and talk to them. Artists are more far away and "mysterious". They won't follow you back or reply to you on Twitter (if they even have one) or do a handshake event.

Off topic: as little as I know about predia, Akane is probably my #1 followed by Rumina and then Maimai.

A lot of girl groups try to avoid the "idol" tag by saying they are a "dance/vocal unit" or whatever. It's silly. Sell CDs and tickets and worry about it later!

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1114 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:11 PM »
I figured I would add Aipon since she was pretty impressive on they keyboards at the New Year's Day concert and she could also provide some good vocals so Morishi wouldn't have to do everything. Based on what little I know about PASSPO band, Naomi, Yukkii, Nachu, and Makocchan didn't really contribute much but they had to do something for "Perfect Sky".
Well, Naomi plays rhythm guitar, so she adds a much needed layer to their sound. It became apparent during Break Out! for me, which sounded much heavier regarding the sound of guitars than it already does on record. (I mean this in a positive way) I agree with the others though. Nachu got the tambourine as they probably needed some instrument for her. I don't dive into her musical qualities here XD Yukki's job I never understood, possibly the same as with Nachu. And Makochan playing a second keyboard was unnecessary as well. That is why I would have prefered (and still prefer) the Band PASSPO putting Morishi, Nachu and Yukki at front, leave lead vocals to Morishi who gets support from Nachu and Yukki. The other members just focusing on their instruments, disregarding their vocal lines on record. THAN it would be a real Band.

Maybe if Yukkii became a percussionist with bongos and chimes and whatnot, she could make it a 6-piece? I don't underestimate the value of a good "manipulator" but, you need to be contributing something aside from a few scratches and accents to make it worthwhile to set up all that equipment in my opinion. I can't stand when the DJ of a hip-hop group (or any genre) just jumps up and down and claps or throws cakes into the crowd! Do some actual mixing or something live!
Are you hinting at DJ Hikaru from Rhymeberry? :lol:

Off topic: I only got to appreciate TGS recently and for them to do this kind of thing definitely seem pretentious given their position. Sell out Tokyo Dome and just naturally stop appearing at smaller idol events! Regardless of whatever declarations they want to make, they still look like idols! E-girls and Perfume seem to have graduated to being "artists" because they sell out big arenas, don't really look like idols, and are really good at what they do. Idols are defined by how accessible they are. You can meet them at a release event and shake their hand and talk to them. Artists are more far away and "mysterious". They won't follow you back or reply to you on Twitter (if they even have one) or do a handshake event.
I basically share your thoughts. It is why I have a problem with Babyraids never doing proper events, although still calling themselves idols. Does TGS still do idol behaviour then? Like release events and Twitter? I seriously don't know. And I don't regard this as off topic, as imo PASSPO seems to want to go the same direction, already limiting their cheki events for quite some time. I can only see Hachake Tai keeping up the idol appearance.

Offline clem84

• Member+
« Reply #1115 on: February 21, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Does anyone know why during their concerts they play half with pre-recorded music and the other half with a band? Playing with a live band makes the performance a lot better IMO. If you already have a band there, ready to go, why not use them for the whole show?

Offline wattstax

• Member+
    • wattstax17
« Reply #1116 on: February 21, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
They generally are dancing to pre-recorded music. The live band is only around for special (and bigger) concerts. Every other idol group I know of is doing it this way. (like Babyraids, Party Rockets)

Offline bluewind78

• Member+
  • Juice=Juice Fanatic
« Reply #1117 on: February 21, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
^
^
Perhaps the whole intention is to make PASSPO into a hybrid rock idol/band unit, rather than a full-on transformation into a full band group? U never know right?
Choice & Chance: A Juice=Juice Fanfiction:
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=42253.0

Offline Rezar

• Medium
  • Member+
    • jpidoldeath
« Reply #1118 on: February 21, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
They generally are dancing to pre-recorded music. The live band is only around for special (and bigger) concerts. Every other idol group I know of is doing it this way. (like Babyraids, Party Rockets)
Pretty much all idols groups play with pre-recorded music. It's only at larger events they use a backing band - there are several reasons, first it costs money to hire musicians and they need to practice to get it right and finally most of the time there wouldn't even be room for a band on the stage.

Offline hanji

• Member+
« Reply #1119 on: February 21, 2015, 10:23:04 PM »
Based on what little I know about PASSPO band, Naomi, Yukkii, Nachu, and Makocchan didn't really contribute much but they had to do something for "Perfect Sky".

Naomi looked like a fish on dry land during that performance. I hope she's more comfortable now.

That is why I would have prefered (and still prefer) the Band PASSPO putting Morishi, Nachu and Yukki at front, leave lead vocals to Morishi who gets support from Nachu and Yukki. The other members just focusing on their instruments, disregarding their vocal lines on record. THAN it would be a real Band.

So you want two of the best singers (Ai and Sako) to hand over their lines to a mini Hacchake squad?

If you already have a band there, ready to go, why not use them for the whole show?

They're too cool to play shit like 'Shiny Road'.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Gojuu-on