JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lost In Time - Yatto Ieta Kotoba

Author Topic: [UK] Tim Roth  (Read 24805 times)

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
[UK] Tim Roth
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
Tim Roth

Profile:
Born: May 14, 1961 in Dulwich, London
Years active: 1982 - present
Spouse: Nikki Butler (1993 - present), two sons; Timothy Hunter (b. 1995), Michael Cormac (b. 1996)

He also has a son (Jack, b. 1983) from a previous relationship, whom I'm totally not stalking on facebook.. <,<;; ehem.

ANYWAY.

He's starred in stuff like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Rob Roy (where he got nominated for an academy award :heart:), Planet of the Apes, Funny Games .... and lots more. He's currently starring as Dr. Cal Lightman in the TV show Lie to Me.

He's also directed a serious drama piece called The War Zone.

He's an absolutely amazing actor, now let's share the love~~~! XD

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
Re: [UK] Tim Roth
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
Sweet, fun, up-beat interview that aired two days ago! Whoooo~

Tim Roth 31th of MAY 2010 yesterday!! :)

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
In random occurrences, Manic Street Preachers are using an old (awesome) picture of Tim for their new album cover! Haha, check it out~!

Original pic looks like this;

As a Tim Roth fangirl, and as a photography geek, I :heart: this picture. :inlove:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
Tim Roth is fucking awesome. Versatility like whoa. Like can be the baddest villain, or just a goofy guy.

The best in Pulp Fiction

Him vs Sam Jackson too good. CHILL HONEY BUNNY!!

How do you feel about him doing the movies to "pay the bills" lol like Hulk and Planet of the Apes? I wonder if him and Tarantino are gonna do a movie again?

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

How do you feel about him doing the movies to "pay the bills" lol like Hulk and Planet of the Apes? I wonder if him and Tarantino are gonna do a movie again?

Well for Planet of the Apes I seem to remember from an interview I've read that he really wanted to work with Tim Burton, so.. you know. Awesome for him. I can totally see him having tons of fun with Planet of the Apes, because he's a very physical actor. Even with his portrayal of Cal Lightman in Lie to Me he adds in odd physical features to the part (Cal always walking a bit tilted, etc. etc.). xD; I really enjoyed Planet of the Apes, so I don't mind him doing those kind of films at all. As long as he enjoys it too, you know? :)

With The Incredible Hulk, he's said that he did it for his kids (Awwwww) xD He rocks in that, though. It's a fairly forgettable film otherwise, but Roth brings it. And he had such a blast! I got kind of surprised when I first found out he'd done a film like that, and then I got even more surprised when I watched interviews and heard him go on and on about how much fun he had and how he wouldn't mind doing it again XD;  .... and let's not forget that he's like topless all through The Incredible Hulk so, yeah. It's all fine by me 8Db

The Incredible Hulk related interview, on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

I'D LOVE FOR HIM TO WORK WITH TARANTINO AGAIN. FFFFFFFF. It's my dream combo xD

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:30:55 AM »
Only two more day until Lie To Me starts back up!  :yossi: :O Official facebook posted this little fun promo where Tim's co-workers on the show talk about his physical style of acting  :lol:

:cow:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »
^ XD NOICE!! Time to check this show out then. Is he sticking to TV cuz he wants to spend more time with the family??

I forgot he was in this gem:

watched it in English class :lol:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:39:10 PM »
^
I've never actually seen that film... lol. Should get to it, thanks for reminding me! :heart:

I did finally get around to seeing Rob Roy last night, though. Oh my god. Don't ask me what the film was about, because I have no idea. Tim ended up being way too distracting xD Only thing I knew about the film was that Tim was going to be very over the top in it... and he was, he really, really was. But in a good way! 8D If... rooting for the bad guy and not caring about the rest of the film is a good thing (which of course it is xDDD).

One of his first lines in the film is:
Quote from: Archibald Cunningham
It is years, Your Grace, since I buggered a boy...and in my own defence, I must add, I thought him a girl at the moment of entry.
And I was all ".... okay whatever dudes, I'm rooting for Cunningham" XDD

Other good quotes:

Quote from: Archibald Cunningham (after brutally raping Rob Roy's wife)
Think of yourself a scabbard, Mistress McGregor, and I the sword. And a fine fit you were, too.

Quote from: Archibald Cunningham (totally dumping a girl who's pregnant with his child)
Love is a dung hill, Betty, and I am but a cock that climbs upon it to crow.

He's such a villain, but oh my god... xD; I ended up rooting for him anyway, which is completely messed up, but there you go 8]

Tim about his performance in this film:
Quote from: Tim Roth
It was so over-the-top...I thought ‘When the studios see the dailies, I’m fucked. I’m going to get fired for sure'...My whole aim was: underneath the powdered wig, and foppish exterior, is a skinhead. Underneath the wig is a psychopath, and all the rest is dress-up.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »
:heart: DEDICATING MY 600th POST TO TIM ROTH  :heart:

Awww yeah bb. :hipheart:

^ XD NOICE!! Time to check this show out then. Is he sticking to TV cuz he wants to spend more time with the family??

Yeah, basically. He's said in several interviews that even though working the TV show is hard work (14 hour days *_*), he gets to go home to his family at the end of the day, so it's more like a real job. So yay. Plus it must be good to have something steady. I mean, film projects do take some time, but when it's done you're kind of stuck with nothing until the next project comes along. So... yeah. And I am extremely happy that he said yes to do Lie to Me, because it is a crackity crack show XD I :heart: it.

IT STARTED BACK UP AGAIN LAST NIGHT  :cow: Here are some HQ promo pics. THERE BE SPOILERS, view with caution? :P

It was a fun episode. Oh Cal, I've missed you and your insanity  :wub:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
Interview from The A.V. Club. Finally an interview where he gets to talk about other things than "SO DO YOU PICK UP ANY OF THE SCIENCE STUFF FROM LIE TO ME? HURRHURR"

Since his first appearance on film as a wiry skinhead in Alan Clarke’s 1982 ITV movie Made In Britain, Tim Roth has made a career out of playing jittery, quick-witted guys who always seem on the verge of either speaking their mind or pitching a fit. In the ’90s, in movies like Reservoir Dogs, Little Odessa, and Rob Roy, Roth imbued heroes and villains with the same restless energy. Then in the ’00s, he became more adventurous with his choices, taking on a variety of roles in smaller movies. Currently, Roth can be seen on American television every week in the Fox series Lie To Me, playing Dr. Cal Lightman, a master of reading body language (based on real-life “human lie detector” Paul Ekman). After a hiatus earlier this year, the second season of Lie To Me is finishing up its run on Fox on Monday nights this summer, and it was recently renewed for a third season.

The A.V. Club: What drew you to Lie To Me?

Tim Roth: It’s like an experiment for me. I’ve done telly before. I’ve done films for TV, and miniseries. But I’ve never done anything like this. When they first came to me, I thought the character was really interesting, and I thought we could go in different directions, and it wouldn’t be just a procedural. The character I thought was potentially quite wild and fun. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to settle into something like this, so I walked away from it initially, until [creator] Sam Baum came back to me for another run, and I took him more seriously. My kids were all about to hit the teen age, and I’d heard that as much as you’re not around when you’re doing TV, you do get to go home. You’re there at the weekend. You get to see your guys growing up. It was a chance to be around for that last chunk of childhood. So I got into it. Then we got picked up, which was great, but I wasn’t sure it would succeed, if it would engage an audience on the kind of scale network television requires. But it seems to be working. And I’ve really started to enjoy it. It’s a very interesting experience, being involved in television. American television is very, very odd. And it will go on for as long as it goes on, but from my end, it’s been this grand and bizarre experiment. I like playing the guy, and he’s changing all the time. And they’re writing good character stuff now this season. So hopefully he’ll evolve and become even more mad.

AVC: When you say “odd,” are you just talking about the difference between British and American TV, or the difference between TV and film?

TR: Well, I think American TV is probably some of the best TV out there at the moment. But network TV is a whole different animal. Basically, we have to turn in, every eight or nine days, a little 43-minute film with a certain amount of twists in it, and it’s quite a beast. You are completely in the hands of your writers and the talent of the people at the top. For me, it really was this weird test to see if I could find my way through it. It’s a very strange world, but it’s quite nice being a part of it.

AVC: Do you find that actors have a keener sense of when people are lying?

TR: I think you think you do, but quite often, you get it wrong. [Laughs.] You do spend most of your time as an actor being a liar. It’s the nature of your job. If you’re any good, you probably have a fairly keen idea of when people are telling you the truth or not. But there’s so much maneuvering that goes on in life, and there’s so much distraction, that unless you were trained like Ekman and are constantly looking… I mean, thankfully, I don’t know when people are lying to me, because I’m not really looking. That’s probably a very useful skill in life, but I don’t think I could go through life being able to tell. It would be pretty tough.

AVC: You mentioned starting out on TV, but much of the TV you made in the UK was with people who are better known now for their movies, right?

TR: Yes, that’s right. The Hit was my first feature film, but I’d done Made In Britain and Meantime on TV, both by extraordinary directors, Alan Clarke and Mike Leigh. Joe Strummer from The Clash was going to play my role in The Hit, but he was having trouble with the band, so he said, “I can’t do it, why don’t you get that skinhead in?” Which was the character I played in the first thing I had ever done. So they called me in, and I got on very well with Jeremy Thomas, who was a producer, and Stephen Frears, who was the director, so they gave me the job purely by luck. And then I had a complete blast on it. I played the driver in a road-trip movie, and I couldn’t drive. I had to learn in only a few hours, and I did almost crash and take out John Hurt and Terence Stamp.

AVC: How would you compare the experience of being a know-nothing kid in The Hit to being a middle-aged family man in Funny Games?

TR: God, Funny Games was one of the toughest things I’ve ever done, on many levels. Firstly, the director [Michael Haneke], I thought was wonderful. He’s a fantastic man. But we were remaking a film that had already been done, and he wanted to remake it shot-for-shot. There was no real room for maneuvering, and for playing with or experimenting with the character. You pretty much had to be where the other actor sat or stood and not play around with the lines at all. That was part of this weird experiment he was doing. And it was shot in sequence. So you started in the morning distressed, and you ended your day even more distressed, and then you got up in the morning and you started more distressed and you ended up even more distressed, on-and-on for five and a half weeks. It was absolutely brutal, but it was a hell of a journey. And I haven’t even seen the finished film. It was a horrendous experience just on an emotional level, playing it. The little boy I was working with, Devon [Gearhart], was a sweetheart, and he looked very, very much like one of my children, so that was quite disturbing too. He was kind of a strong shoulder for me to rest on, that boy. He was a good guy. It was a really depressing and exhausting experience, that one. It’s really tough to play somebody who can’t do anything about the situation he’s in.

AVC: Did you have DVDs of the original on the set to make sure that you were doing the same thing?

TR: No, I left that to the director. I watched it once, very early on. The first time I read the script, I passed on it. And then my agent said, “Have a look at the original, that’s what it’s really about.” And I saw it and went, “Oh, I get it,” and thought, “Well maybe it’s worth living through that experience.” And it was, really. Worth every minute of it. But I have to tell you, but it was really tough.

AVC: What was it like working with Francis Ford Coppola on Youth Without Youth, after he’d had such a long layoff?

TR: Well, Francis came to me very early on in his writing process. He had me read the script to see if I responded to it, and I didn’t really understand it, even in its early incarnations. I had read the book it was based on, and it was a very complicated text. On the one hand, I thought the dialogue was going to be pretty tough to deal with, but the journey is fascinating. The idea of a man who’s struck by lightning and becomes young again. Does he relive the same mistakes, or does he make big changes? And how does it feel to keep getting older and older and older? Is what’s happening to him even real? There are many levels that it operates on. And then there was Francis at the top of it. The experience of working with him, someone who is so much a part of cinematic history, and also a big part of my passion for film. All in all, it was an extraordinary journey. It was 90 days, I think, pretty much in Romania. I think I had one day off. And I think I made sure I switched my phone off so no one could get to me. It was very, very difficult, but incredibly worthwhile. We made it for a very small amount of money. It was a very low-budget movie.

AVC: Did you get the sense that Francis Ford Coppola had a learning curve of his own, having to work on such a small scale after making so many big movies?

TR: Yeah, I thought it was an interesting experiment in moviemaking at the time, and it still is. He’s unstoppable. I think he had more energy on set than anybody, or even all of us put together. And we had a very young, almost student team of filmmakers with us. It was him looking at other ways of making films and telling stories, trying to make new two-dimensional images. So that was a very fulfilling experience for me. And I loved my co-star, Alexandra Maria Lara, who is fantastic.

AVC: You’ve had a long, fruitful association with Quentin Tarantino, having appeared in Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Four Rooms. How did you originally get involved with him?

TR: Well, he came to me. He’d seen Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead and Vincent & Theo, which are films he really liked. My agent sent me the script, and wrote a little note saying I should look at the role of Pink or Blonde. And I read it and I said “No, I like that guy Orange, because he’s a liar. I’ll be an Englishman playing an American playing a cop who’s playing a villain.” And I liked that combination, because it seemed incredibly difficult to do. So then I met with Quentin and we got along very well, but they wanted me to read, and I wouldn’t do it. I don’t like auditioning in that way, because I’m not very good at it. But we all got drunk, and eventually I did. [Laughs.]

We became very fast friends. We worked very hard and very closely together, and then he wrote Honey Bunny and Pumpkin for me and Amanda [Plummer] to do together in [Pulp Fiction]. And then Four Rooms came about because Steve Buscemi couldn’t do it, I think. They came to me and asked, “Would you fancy having a crack at this guy?” And I thought, “Yeah, I’ll have a go, wild.” And from there we did talk for a long time about Inglourious Basterds, but with the TV show, the schedule just got in the way in the end, so I couldn’t do it. I was ready, though, to go out to Germany with him. Working with Quentin, you just hit the ground running. It’s a hell of a ride, but it’s always phenomenal. Really, I owe him, because I suppose he’s the guy who got me noticed in the States, which is where I’ve been living now for the best part of 20 years.
-----------------------

TIM ROTH COULD HAVE BEEN IN INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS? OH FFFFFFF. ;_____;!

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
New episode of Lie To Me aired last night \0/. Another great episode, though I think I need to give it a re-watch as I was too restless to pay close attention, and this was one of those episodes that require you to pay attention at all times :lol:

Here are some promo stills from last night's episode, again kind of spoilery, but then again not really.

In other news, Tim recently confirmed that he has a part in the film project The Absinthe Drinkers :lol: it was rumoured that he'd play the role of Gautier, but he apparently has some other role. Guess we'll have more news on this later! Good job to the reporter at one of the many Lie To Me press events who managed to get that out of him XD All those interviews ended up being the same, I felt so sorry for all the actors... if the interviews are boring to read and all have the same questions, they must be even more boring to participate in :bleed eyes:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »
So this link didn't work for me, because the Norwegian iTunes store doesn't offer TV shows yet... but it might work for others here, so here! Awesome offer! Don't miss out on Tim's Lightman lean! :lol:

Quote from: Official Lie to Me facebook
Want to own the very first episode of Lie to Me? For a limited time, download the pilot for free on iTunes: http://bit.ly/bFPkX2

Also here's a random Tim picture that makes me laugh. Wish I was able to read the rest of the text on it <,<; Anyone know where it's from?

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »

^THIS

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 12:55:20 AM »
Psychiatrists of America Society, I hear Ron Artest saw the ad and signed up.!

lol j/k I dunno. I never knew he did Prada ads too WTH! XD

Lie To Me is funny, I dunno something about english accents makes me crack up, like either its the funniest thing in the world or the most intelligent thing ever

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »
He's done H&M ads too 8D .... :lol:

He's so brilliant in Lie To Me, oh my god. Pushing things to the limit, being silly and badass all at the same time :inlove: I'm not sure how he's able to pull it off, but he totally does it. Last week's episode had me in stitches because it totally had a reversed Reservoir Dogs moment with Tim Roth's character going "Excuse me, I didn't realise you had a degree in medicine" to his client :lol: TWICE! ... though without anyone dramatically dying, and the second occurrence of the sentence was... for some other degree, not a doctor's degree. Either way, it made my heart flutter. I AM EASILY AMUSED :D

Here are some pictures~ :heart:

:wub:

I have a ridiculous HQ version of that last picture saved somewhere XD aaaaah~

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:31 AM »
Ugly, ugly watermarks but Tim Roth and his family! In Rome! Last year! @_@/ So near, yet so far awaaaay~~~~ xD;;;;;;;

:lol: Rubik's cube wtf! Hahahaha. Really wish those last two pictures didn't have watermarks T_T They could have been made into fun avatars or somethiiiing.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 10:18:48 AM »
Since there was no new Lie To Me this week, here's a promo for next week's episode!

"I'm coming at you, with everything I've got" .... YES PLEASE 8]

:lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:06 AM »
^^ Rubik's Cube XD He sure knows how to have fun!

saw a bit of tonite's episode, crazy he had to read a guys facial expressions when he's paralyzed!!??

I like this. Never gonna back down to a challenge!

Tim Roth admits that his transition to the television world wasn’t the easiest of duties, as he’s realized that learning lines in the movie world is a cakewalk compared to working on Lie To Me.  But Roth is not one to back down from a challenge, and the actor goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to working on the series

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 12:10:39 AM »
The embed only plays the wrong video for some reason, so you have to click this link, but YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED~~~~! :shakeit:

BROSTITUTE with Tim Roth

.... I have no words. Ffffffffff  :rofl:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 05:33:38 AM »
Haha wow I love following Dan Sackheim (Lie To Me director) on twitter. He was a bit shaky in the beginning, but he's gotten the hang of it now. Even tweeting pictures from the set!

@DanSackheim:
Tim Roth, contemplating the days work. Day3.

Also be sure to check out the videoclip linked in the post above *O* It's hilarious stuff. TIM COULD COME BE MY PIMP ANY TIME~~~~ <,<;;; even though I guess I'm not brostitute material ;______;

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lost In Time - Yatto Ieta Kotoba