JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Depapepe - Beethoven

Author Topic: [Keiyuu's OS Collection] OS #8 For a Flight (YuiParu)  (Read 25316 times)

Offline Keiyuu

• Member+
Re: [Keiyuu's OS Collection] OS #6 Pick Your Battles (CenNezu)
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 05:19:29 AM »
Pick Your Battles (CenNezu)

Never pick a fight you can’t win – that’s the motto Nezumi lived by. Even before she was known as Nezumi back when she just plain old Watanabe Mayu – the little girl that just wanted her dad’s love – she followed that one rule.

Nezumi learned a long ago that she would never get her father to change, never earn his attention, so she stopped fighting for it. She picked battles that she could win, and if she couldn’t, then she’d give up, run away. There was no shame in running, not if you didn’t consider it a shame.

Some things just weren’t worth it.

Maybe she didn’t have the best morals (or really any at all) but Nezumi was perfectly fine with that. And by that, she managed to infiltrate all the schools in the region, and not just any old schools—yankee schools.

Yankees were all about fighting, either to reach the top or to prove a point. They never give up, never give in, which was the complete opposite of Nezumi’s nature. But they also weren’t the smartest, and that’s another point of difference between them and Nezumi.

So Nezumi took the challenge.

She made a plan, perfected it, executed it, and carried it out. And by the time she was a first year in high school, she already had the tops of every academy in the palm of her hand (well, almost every academy). She would whisper little suggestions in their ear, and not knowing any better, they’d listen. That was her favorite part of her little game.

You see, when you’re a sneaky, cunning, conniving little rat, no one really trusts you. Even yankees had their own code they followed, but Nezumi had no such obligations. She had no obligations at all, except to herself and only her. But she at least convinced a lot of people that they were using her and not the other way around.

But being that kind of person, she had no friends or so-called comrades.

She did, however, have a lot of enemies.

Nezumi wasn’t worried about those so-called enemies though. They would never be able to outsmart her, they would never be able to get to her. Nezumi was too careful for that. She always covered up her tracks, always made sure she was never followed, always kept to herself. Or at least, she tried to.

Back in her last year of middle school, a girl transferred into Nezumi’s class. She was obviously a yankee - challenging eyes, prideful stance, set demeanor - she would fit right in, Nezumi thought. And she would’ve, if she didn’t pick a fight with the Teppen before her first day was even over.

Then Nezumi thought she was an idiot—who starts a fight so soon? Right away? Without any back up, information, anything to aid her and without a plan? A complete idiot, that’s what Nezumi labeled the girl as. It irritated her that someone could be so utterly stupid. And it irritated her even more when she had to be the one to take care of the idiot.

She just happened to be passing by, on her way up to the rooftop - where she preferred to spend her lunch alone - when the new girl collapsed in front of her, her opponents laughing and leaving her there, telling her not to come back.

Nezumi didn’t even spare a glance—why should she when this was just an everyday occurrence? But something snagged on her ankle and when she looked down the girl was staring at her with these intense, burning eyes that didn’t look like they belonged to a loser. And Nezumi stopped, she could have easily shaken the girl’s grip off (or kicked off like she usually would’ve done) but she didn’t. Those eyes stopped her, and next thing she knew she found herself carrying the unconscious girl on her back towards the infirmary, muttering curses the whole way because the girl was quite heavy for Nezumi’s small stature.

Finally stumbling in, she dropped the girl unceremoniously on the nearest cot, the school nurse nowhere to be found. Nezumi took a seat in the corner, on one of those stools with wheels on it and just rolled back and forth, content on waiting just like that until the nurse came back. It took her a good five minutes before she realized that the school didn’t have a nurse, the lady having quit awhile ago because she couldn’t handle all those violent yankees (why she even applied to a yankee school in the first place was beyond Nezumi’s reasoning).

Another string of curses burst of out Nezumi’s mouth before she could stop herself, the noise waking up the only other occupant of the room.

A groan made Nezumi look over, and she thought about bolting out of there before the girl actually came to (it was a natural reflex for Nezumi) but she willed herself to stay. Something was keeping her rooted to that spot, keeping her from running away, and Nezumi wanted to know what.

You can’t blame a mouse for being curious.

The girl sat up slowly, still groggy and bleeding profusely from her forehead with several other bruises donning her face. Nezumi just sat and stared and waited, patiently on that stool while the girl got a hold of her surroundings.

“...First aid kit’s in the cabinet.”

The girl startled and got into a fighting stance, but relaxed when she saw it was just Nezumi. And that pissed Nezumi off quite a bit, but she wouldn’t show it on her face.

Is she letting her guard down because I look small and weak? Big mistake. Nezumi would’ve grinned had she not wanted to test the girl first.

“...Which cabinet?”

Nezumi shrugged, “Figure it out yourself.”

The girl got up and started flipping each door open one by one until she found the cotton balls and bandages. It was when she prepared to wrap up her head without cleaning the wounds whatsoever (or wiping any of the dried blood off) that Nezumi couldn’t help but speak up.

“They’ll get infected.” She didn’t know why, but she warned the girl. Normally she’d let whatever happen, happen. Nezumi didn’t care about anyone.

“Well I don’t know how to take care of cuts so whatever.” The girl retorted.

Nezumi rolled her eyes. She really is an idiot.

And it wasn’t until the girl tried to rip the bandages with her teeth when there was a perfectly good pair of scissors in the box (along with alcohol and sanitized cotton balls that she should’ve cleaned her cuts with), that Nezumi really couldn’t take it anymore. She stood up and tore the roll out of the girls hand, hastily dousing the cotton in alcohol and pressed it to the girl’s head none too gently. But that was probably the least surprising thing to the girl.

Not sure how to respond and afraid to move, she just stood there and let Nezumi patch her up. Nezumi—who never helped anyone but herself (though of course, the girl didn’t know that) but not even Nezumi herself knew why she was helping this girl.

“...Center.”

“What?” Nezumi spat.

“My name. It’s Center.”

“I didn’t ask for your name.” She stated.

“I wanted to tell you.” Center insisted. And Nezumi made the mistake of looking up, because then she met Center’s gaze and was once again locked in place. And she saw something...something familiar...something like herself. She saw herself reflected in those eyes.

“...”

“...”

“...Damn you.”

Center watched as Nezumi backed away, throwing the used cotton balls at the sink and eyes blazing.

“Damn you.”

She watched as Nezumi turned and ran, the door slamming shut with a loud bang, leaving Center all alone in the infirmary.

---

Contrary to her own beliefs (but not Center’s) that wasn’t the only time Nezumi helped to patch up the reckless girl. Center had quite the habit of getting into trouble, either in their own school or with others. Before class, during, after, Center somehow always ended up in a fight. And somehow, Nezumi always ended up being the one to clean her up.

Maybe she was in the wrong place in the wrong time, but she was always there when Center almost collapsed from fighting. And from then on (she sincerely blames Center for this), Nezumi always carried a first aid kit with her. She never had the use for one before because she doesn’t tend to pick fights (rather she avoids them) but Center was the complete opposite.

Nezumi had never met someone who fit the definition of a yankee so perfectly.

Center was hot-blooded, fighting anything and everything.

But Nezumi was cold-blooded, evading anything and everything.

But somehow they ended up stuck together (which Nezumi also sincerely blames Center for). Now you hardly ever see one without the other. Nezumi didn’t protest though, she found that having someone that would fight for her was quite useful. She never even had to lift a finger when her enemies came, but she never fought together with Center, only watched.

And even during lunch, when Nezumi used to prefer spending her time alone, Center joined her on the rooftop. Sometimes they said nothing, did nothing, but sometimes they talked. And it looked like today was going to be one of those days.

“Sorry.”

“What for?” Nezumi asked carelessly, leaning against the metal railing with her hood down for once.

“For causing you trouble, I guess.” Center leaned against the railing next to her. “And for making you upset that time.”

Nezumi scoffed, “You really are an idiot.”

“Maybe~”

“...”

“You know, that felt kind of odd. I haven't apologized to anyone in years.” Center mused.

That piqued Nezumi’s interest a bit, no doubt that the statement was true. Nevertheless, she refused to look at Center, gazing at the street below instead. “...So why now?”

Then Center turned her head and grinned at Nezumi - a cat-like smile that made the mouse feel uneasy. “Because I don't want you to hate me~”

“A simple ‘sorry’ won't make me like you.” Nezumi argued, but she had a sinking feeling that she was losing.

“I know. But you seem to have so many enemies, so many people who don't like you so you don't like them back, and I just didn't want to be one of them.”

And that’s when she finally faced Center. No one had ever looked a Nezumi liked that. She didn't know what to do so she let the one emotion she did understand control her actions - irritation.

“What do you mean you ‘know’? You don't know anything about me.” With that, Nezumi stormed off, the accessories on her backpack swinging wildly with each step.

Center let her go sadly, murmuring, “But I want to...”

---

“Shouldn't you be off challenging the top again or something?” Nezumi asked irritably as Center followed her through the hallways. They powered past classrooms at high speed, but Center had no trouble keeping up with the mouse (much to the latter’s further annoyance).

“Nah, I don't care about the top here anymore.”

Normally, Nezumi might ask what Center meant by that, but currently Nezumi was still mad at her and trying to do what she did best - evasion.

Eventually, the second set of steps resounding behind her drifted off and Nezumi figured that Center had finally gotten tired of her. She was a little relieved but sad at the same time. But she knew it would’ve only been a matter of time anyways.

I guess I'll go take a nap or something. Nezumi wandered off into an abandoned classroom and propped her legs up, settling comfortably in a chair.

There was nothing left for her to do now that Center was gone.

---

Meanwhile, Center had made her way up to the roof. Ever since Nezumi introduced the site to her, it was her favorite place to stay. A light breeze, warm sunset, and the view—the view was always better from the top. But that's not exactly what Center was thinking of—she was thinking of Nezumi. This was her favorite place to be because it's where Nezumi usually was, and Center wanted to be by her side.

Center sighed and took a seat, back leaning against the concrete wall by the door.

That first time she saw Nezumi, she knew that they were alike. Sure, Center was easy to understand - she was a yankee after all so she was pretty straightforward - but no one really understood why she fought, and no one really tried to, they didn't care. So Center had no one to turn to, no one to watch her back, no one to trust. But neither than Nezumi.

And that's what she saw in her eyes that day, the one thing they had in common - they were both alone. And Center knew that she was not just alone, but she was also lonely. Center couldn't say for sure if Nezumi was lonely or not, but she didn't want her to be. Center wanted to reach out to the one other person that was like herself.

But of course, Nezumi was not very trusting.

But of course, Center was also very stubborn.

---

Center must’ve drifted off because the next time she opened her eyes, Nezumi was standing in front of her, hands stuck in her jacket pockets, hood up and frowning.

“What—”

“They took my backpack.” Nezumi cut her off.

That got Center to bolt right up. “Who?”

“Yabakune.” This time, Nezumi watched as Center sprinted off, a little surprised that Center went so willingly. Reckless idiot.

Going at a more leisurely pace, she followed, taking shortcuts that only she knew to head towards Yabakune, and Center was nowhere to be found. Nezumi kind of regretted handing over her bag though, surely there could’ve been some better bait and Center would’ve gone anyways. Hell she probably didn’t even need bait.

That idiot’ll do whatever I tell her to.

The ones who ‘stole’ her backpack couldn't have gotten too far, and they'd surely be heading back to their school.

Center might have run into them along the way. Nezumi thought.

And actually, she hoped that that's what happened. There was no way Center would be able to take on all of Yabakune High by herself. And she’d definitely be dumb enough to storm in there on her own.

Wait, why do I even care? Whatever happens to her will just benefit me.

Running the calculations in her head, Nezumi backtracked along the path they’d most likely take, figuring that in the amount of time passed they’d be right about...

Here.

An abandoned structure that was halfway done, just the skeletal frame of a building - the construction having been halted during the colder winter months.

Pulling her hood up tighter around her face, Nezumi made her way around the construction site because based on her knowledge of yankees, she knew they liked to fight where they wouldn’t be interrupted but not too far from where they met the opponent either (they were all too impatient for that). So when she found a number of girls lying on the ground, either unconscious or groaning in pain, Nezumi’s hunch was confirmed. But then she saw something that she didn’t expect at all.

Center stood in the midst of them, and sensing another presence, she looked up and tossed the backpack at Nezumi’s feet.

But Nezumi didn’t pick it up. She just kept staring at Center, astounded. “...How...How are you still standing?”

Center scoffed, “It’ll take a lot more than a few small-fry to beat me.”

That got to Nezumi as she started muttering under her breath. “But how...my calculations should’ve been correct...I’m never wrong...The plan always works...”

“Calculations aren’t everything, you know.”

Nezumi’s head whipped up and she growled at Center, “Shut up. You don’t know anything.”

“That might be true.” Center stepped towards, limping a bit. “But I do know that you are alone. Even if you have all these people doing your bidding.” She glanced at all the yankees lying on the ground.

Nezumi’s eyes widened for a split second, disbelief setting in.

She knows...

If she had been in her right mind, she would’ve realized that Center knew a lot sooner. But everything wasn’t making sense to Nezumi right now.

But before she had a chance to act, Center grabbed Nezumi’s shoulders in a tight grip and Nezumi didn’t know where she mustered that strength from after all that fighting. “Now don’t think about running away again.”

Those earnest eyes again—every time she saw those eyes Nezumi got pissed.

“Just—Shut up!”

She punched Center in the side, exasperated. Now Nezumi might not be the strongest, but unlike everyone believed, she could still fight, and her punches still hurt - especially to Center because she never saw it coming from Nezumi.

Surprisingly still though, Center let go, clutching her stomach and falling over. It wasn’t a hit that she’d normally take too much damage from, and Nezumi immediately knew something was wrong.

“Center!” She hadn’t wanted to catch her like in those stupid romance manga, but she reflexively reached out and grabbed Center’s arm, slowing her fall. “What the hell is wrong with you?!”

Center groaned and coughed, spitting up a bit of blood. But then she laughed, and that only pissed Nezumi off even more.

“You’re such an idiot.”

“...Maybe~” Center chuckled. “I guess you would think so.”

“Of course. What kind of idiot runs off with a plan and takes on 20 yankees by herself? Just for a stupid backpack? For someone who doesn’t give a shit about you?”

“I would.”

Now even more done with Center, Nezumi rolled her eyes, “And I think we’ve already established that you’re an idiot.”

“But—” Center broke out into a coughing fit, pressing a hand to her side.

“Hey what the—?” Nezumi’s eyes widened when she saw the amount of blood staining Center’s cardigan, and muttered exasperatingly, “Oh you’ve got to be kidding me...”

“—I’m fine.”

“No. You’re not.” Nezumi said through clenched teeth. “God why do you have to be so stupid?”

Center always had to be this reckless, and that’s what Nezumi would never understand. How come someone be so selfless? For someone like her?

“I’m not stupid.” Center argued, wincing from a sudden stab of pain in her abdomen. Black spots started floating around the corners of her vision. “I—I did this to prove something.”

Nezumi rolled her eyes again. “What is it with you yankees and always having to prove something? Why take something like this so seriously? What is so damn important that you have to risk your life for it?”

For once, Nezumi didn’t have the answers, but Center did.

Center weakly chuckled again. “...You.”

Then she passed out.

---

The next time Center awoke, she found herself lying in very stiff and somewhat familiar cot, her mouth dry and bright lights above her. Blinking slowly, she turned her head and found a vase full of flowers at her bedside, the fragrant scent light in the room. Hearing the curtain being pulled aside roughly, she was met with the sight of a hooded young girl, popping bubbles with her gum and a signature backpack behind her.

“Am I in heaven? ‘Cause I don’t think I’ve ever seen an angel before.”

Nezumi rolled her eyes and plopped down in the stool next to her. “Shut up.”

Center chuckled, but it turned into coughing again and Nezumi handed her a glass of water, even helping her sit up in the bed to drink it.

“...Thanks.” She grinned at Nezumi.

Nezumi just sighed, not exactly the response Center was expecting, and rolled back and forth on the wheels of the seat.

“...So, you were stabbed.”

She wasn’t exactly asking, rather just stating the facts.

“Not this time.” Center shook her head. “It was a few months ago but I guess it tore open today.”

“You mean yesterday. You’ve been out for a day already.”

“Oh...” Then she mused, “Well I’ve gotten plenty of rest then~” She swung her legs over the side and slowly rose.

Nezumi watched her, face blank but eyes following Center’s every move as she went digging for her clothes over in the laundry basket by the corner, the hospital gown not exactly her favorite style of clothing.

It was when Center was about to change that Nezumi spoke up.

“How were you stabbed?”

Center turned and looked at her curiously, mirroring the expression on Nezumi’s face though maybe not as troubled. Then she smiled a little sadly. “I got this from the last time I was betrayed.”

A miniscule twitch in Nezumi’s face let Center to know that she got to her, Nezumi’s gaze drifting downward to the pale gray tiles of the floor, as if ashamed and reflecting. And Center just stood there as Nezumi seemed to be contemplating her actions, letting it go on for a few moments before she sighed.

“Well? Are you going to sit there all day?”

“...What?” Nezumi spat, her irritation level rising again.

“We’ve got a school to take over, you know.”

“What the hell are you talking about.”

Center grinned as she shrugged on her signature cardigan. “Majisuka Gakuen.”

Graduation was only a few months away, then onto high school they went. And what better school to pick than the area’s most well-known yankee academy? It was the only school that Nezumi had no control over, and the small bit of yankee soul she had in her did make her want to take on the challenge. She had already started calculating and planning, filling several notebooks with thoughts. But how did Center know that?

Nezumi’s eyes narrowed, “You looked in my bag.”

“I gotta say, your calculations are pretty impressive, but you’ll need more than brains to take the top.”

“...What are you implying?” She asked hesitantly.

“If I’m not mistaken, then you need someone strong to help you.” Center’s grin only widened. “And I’ve been itching for a good fight lately.”

Nezumi could only look at her incredulously. She just had a fight with 20 yankees that put her in the hospital but Center was still ‘itching for a good fight’? Ridiculous. Nezumi couldn’t fathom how someone could be so stubborn and reckless, hot-blooded and confident. But what she really didn’t understand – was how Center was so straightforward and trusting of Nezumi. Maybe there wasn’t a reason, but Nezumi couldn’t understand that either.

“...You’re an idiot.” She concluded.

“Maybe~”

Then Nezumi thought that maybe she was an idiot too. Because that was the first time went into a battle knowing she’d never win—and not against Majisuka, but against Center. Because Nezumi just couldn’t win against Center—how could you win against someone who wouldn’t fight you? Someone who refused to even go against you?

But for some reason, she went into that battle anyways. Maybe she knew she would lose but also, for once, maybe it was worth it. This was one loss she’d accept, because she won something much more important. And now maybe Nezumi didn’t have to fight her battles alone, so maybe...just maybe...

We can fight together this time.

Offline junchan

• Junchan48's second account. Yoroshiku~
Re: [Keiyuu's OS Collection] OS #6 Pick Your Battles (CenNezu)
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
So its CenNezu~~~
And a long one~~~~
You should make them officially dating first before you end the story, Kei-san!>0<
But I love the way you write both of their feeling^^

Thanks for this fic, Ke-san!
Gonna wait your next works!^o^/
I'm a hardshipper of many pair! lol
Yoroshiku~

Offline Keiyuu

• Member+
Re: [Keiyuu's OS Collection] OS #7 Someone Like You (WMatsui)
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:25 AM »
So I may continue this and make it a full-blown chaptered story someday. But for now, here it is as a one shot. Enjoy~

Someone Like You (WMatsui)

The next person that bumps into me without saying sorry, I kill.

Matsui Jurina sat in a room full of desperate young girls and wished she had a drink in hand. No, it’s probably not what you’re thinking. She was seated in a simple folding chair in the corner of the audition’s waiting room, dozens of other girls there aspiring to become a known face in the entertainment industry, and not just any face – the face of a top model.

They had all filled out surveys, attached profile pictures and sent them off to magazine companies and modeling agencies all around the country, waiting—hoping for a response. And most of them hadn’t received one. So now they were all here, crammed in this little room desperately waiting for their turn to be interviewed. Jurina knew how all this worked, but not in the way you’re thinking. She had done her research, that’s all, and she wasn’t like them.

Not to be rude or blunt or anything, it was just the truth. She was simply not like them. No, not because she possessed something special or innate talent, not because she was here as she had missed the deadline for the agencies, not because she was prettier and cuter and sexier than everyone else in the room (each of the girls seemed to think that in their own right). That’s not why Matsui Jurina was different from them.

No, Jurina wasn’t here to audition—that was the difference. She was here to observe, watch, and pick out a talent – someone that she would choose to be her model.

Doesn’t make sense, right? Well Jurina’s been told that by countless people already, so she’s already accepted it wholeheartedly. She had her own way of doing things, one of them being recruiting a model by pretending to be one herself and going to a last minute audition.

Apparently, this agency was pretty popular and had already taken in a number of girls that had passed their auditions, but one had dropped out last minute. If Jurina had to guess (though it wouldn’t really be called a guess because she was absolutely sure this was the case), then she’d say that training would start soon, followed not long after by mock photoshoots, eventually came the real deal until you’d gotten enough jobs and enough flashes in your face and enough walking down a narrow stage in treacherously tall heels then you were famous – the top model in all of Japan.

So in order for the agency to make that happen, they needed all their models for advertisement, and soon. Hence, the last minute audition.

It really was unorthodox, Jurina had never heard of anyone holding an audition of all things to pick a model. It seemed more like a step to becoming an idol instead.

But Jurina was also anything but orthodox, so she found this to be the perfect chance.

Letting her sunglasses slide a bit down her nose, she gave everyone in the room a once over. Now, Jurina would like to say that there were a variety of people in here, but no, sadly there weren’t. All of them were naïve young girls (or perhaps veterans at getting rejected) that were mostly tall, decent looking and terribly skinny. It was far too easy to tell who had been starving themselves lately.

Jurina let out a small sigh, disappointed with the outcome. She was already long past the point of irritation by now. There was no one here she could possibly use. Jurina wasn’t really picky with her models per say, but at least no one in this room would do, that was for sure.

Now what exactly was she looking for? Good question. She wanted someone like her – unorthodox. Someone who didn’t fit in with the crowd, nothing special, just different. Different in the way that they were probably bullied for it, which was odd, however that’s what Jurina wanted—what she searched for. And sadly no one in here possessed that one quality.

All except one.

Jurina hadn’t seen her at first, so it seemed the girl had actually appeared in a split second, but the rational part of her brain told her that the girl was probably just hidden from view, which was entirely possible because the girl was crammed into the very corner opposite to Jurina’s, her existence completely covered by this other lady (she obviously wasn’t a young one) with huge hair that looked like she belonged in the seventies. Jurina wasn’t one to judge though...okay maybe she was, a lot, but that’s beside the point.

Found ya~ Jurina thought as she stood from her chair, her butt numb from sitting there so long. She had to give props to all the people in the room though, as far as she could tell (besides herself and the girl she was currently headed for), everyone else had been standing for the past 3 hours, which was a feat in and of itself.

As she pushed and prodded her way through the sea of endless bodies, Jurina took in the appearance of the girl more thoroughly (it was her aura that first appealed to Jurina). The girl seemed to be tall even though she was sitting, long and straight raven black hair came down to her chest and wide doe eyes stared at the ground. She was obviously shy just from the way she had her hands wrung in the hem of her dress (which was white by the way and Jurina thought it fit her nicely) and how her posture was unbelievably stiff. Jurina stopped about a foot in front of her (she had to literally shove the seventies chick out of the way, which was actually really hard because the room was so crowded), and then she put on her best smile and took the girl’s hand (which was also really hard because the girl had her hands clenched together in a death grip).

“Would you like to be a model?” The answer had to be ‘yes’, that’s why Jurina asked. If the answer was ‘no’ then why would that girl be in here in the first place?

“...Yes?” She answered hesitantly, wide eyes focused on Jurina this time.

“Then follow me if you want a job.”

With that, Jurina let go of the girl’s hand, swiftly turning and shoving a path back through the crowd and towards the door. She had let go of her hand so she couldn’t be held responsible for the girl’s decision, or kidnapping if it came to that.

Luckily though, Jurina found herself outside and was pleased to see the girl was as well. “The name’s Matsui Jurina.”

“Matsui Rena desu...” The girl bowed slightly.

“Great, now we’ve met. And I assume you do want the job?” Jurina asked, she had to be sure.

“Yes, if that’s what you’re offering...”

Jurina nodded, happy with the answer and proceeded to fish her keys out of her pocket. “That’s good.” She unlocked it with a chirping sound.  “So get in the car.”

---

“Why did you get in?” Jurina asked. They were currently halted at a stoplight, Jurina was the one driving and Rena sat next to her in the passenger seat—she was still staring down at her lap which Jurina found intriguing.

She really is an odd one.

Most people wouldn’t get in without a lot of questions and suspicion, let alone a young girl. Jurina was absolutely sure (actually she made sure) she looked shady in her disguise today with a trench coat and wide-rimmed sunglasses.

“I...I don’t know...”

“Well that’s a great answer. You can tell me, it won’t affect your credibility to me whatsoever. But if you’re really that desperate then I don’t know what to say. I just hope not to find you on the streets of Roppongi at night sometime.” The light turned green and Jurina drove on. “I could be a serial killer. I could be taking you to be sold on the black market right now. Organs cost a lot nowadays, you know.”

“I know.”

“Oh really? You know huh? That’s good too~ Means you’re not stupid.” Jurina didn’t say these things to be offensive, it’s just how she is. Rena could either accept it or not, and if she didn’t then Jurina would dump her. Then again if she answered wrong then she’d be dropped off on the sidewalk straight away as well.

“...Can I ask a question now?” Rena inquired.

“Sure~” Jurina replied nonchalantly. “You could’ve asked a question anytime you wanted, and you can ask anything you want, though I can’t promise I’ll answer truthfully.” She wanted to play around with Rena a bit, see what the girl’s like before they started working together, test her new subject in other words.

“Then why me? Why not anyone else? Why choose me?”

Jurina chuckled lightly, amused at Rena’s sudden spurt of words. It was more than she had spoken during this entire time combined. So that’s one thing I just learned about her. “Because you’re different. And that’s the truth.”

Rena fell quiet after that, and Jurina didn’t probe anymore, at least for now.

---

“Yes, this is where I live. Yes, I do own the house. And yes, I am filthy rich.”

That was the first thing Jurina said she swung open the door leading from her garage to her house (which was quite large to boot and in Tokyo nontheless), having parked her Cadillac coupe in its rightful place with the rest of her car collection (they were all far more luxurious than the coupe, Jurina had only chosen that one today because she needed to stay inconspicuous at the audition and unfortunately it was the cheapest car she owned). Tossing the keys on the counter, Jurina immediately crashed on the nearest leather sofa, finding it so much more comfortable than the folding chair from earlier.

After relishing in comfort for a few moments with a content sigh, she spoke, “Well don’t just stand there, pop a squat!”

Rena cautiously made her way around the couch, gingerly taking a seat on the recliner next to it (basically as far from Jurina as she could possibly get).

And there’s another thing I’ve learned about her.

By this point, Jurina was already assuming that Matsui Rena was about as easy to figure out as a stick.

“So anyways, here’s the basics. I’m a photographer—a new one at that though I do have a good deal of experience.” Jurina didn’t care if that didn’t make sense, she just continued. “I was only at that audition to find a model—that’s you.” She nodded at Rena as if that wasn’t clear enough. “And now we’re going to embark on a great adventure with tons of fun and glory and treasure. Sound good?”

Rena nodded, having perked up a bit after Jurina started explaining. Now she was watching Jurina intently, and it unnerved Jurina just a slight bit though she couldn’t figure why. The last time she was unnerved was when she came home to find her aunt in a school uniform, and then she promptly moved out.

“Okay so then I have a few ground rules.”

Rena nodded again.

“First, I’m not going to make you a ‘top model’ or anything like that, that’s not my job. You have to do that on your own if that’s what you’re aiming for. I’m just here to take some pictures.”

Rena nodded again, eyes never leaving Jurina’s.

Jurina swallowed thickly before she continued. “Second, you’re to work with me and only me. But don’t get conceited or careless, I hate that. And if we can’t agree then you’re out, and both our careers will be down the drain, capisce?”

Rena nodded again, her attention so raptly focused on Jurina that the latter was finding it harder and harder to breathe.

Is it getting hotter in here? Jurina tugged at her collar subconsciously. “Third of all—Are you ready for this?”

Another nod and she had her confirmation.

“Great! Now strip.”

If Jurina thought Rena’s eyes were big in the first place, then they were huge and nearly bulging out of her head now (okay maybe not that exaggerated but still). Jurina almost burst out laughing right there, but she kept her cool, only staring at Rena with a straight face and they never broke eye contact. Now...what will you do?

“I—I can’t.” Rena finally spoke, it was soft and quiet, but definite. Then she finally looked away.

And there’s the third thing I’ve learned about you, Matsui Rena. Guess you weren’t as easy to figure out as I thought~ Jurina mused.

She couldn't take it anymore. The sound rang out throughout the empty house and caused Rena to whip her head back around and gape at the source. Jurina wholeheartedly laughed like she hadn’t in a long time, tears threatening to spill in the corners of her eyes.

“Hahaha! Ahahaha!... I haven’t laughed like that in a long time~” She swiped at her eyes, wiping the tears away with a genuine smile. “I like you, Matsui Rena. You’re...interesting.” Jurina grinned at her, fully meaning what she said.

“Th-Thank you...” Rena wasn’t sure how to respond to that, but she could feel the heat in her cheeks building.

“What for?”

“For...” She didn’t know what for. “For giving me a chance.” Rena decided.

Jurina only grinned wider. “Now that’s a good answer.”

---

“So, Matsui Rena, why did you decide to become a model? Is it a dream? An ideal? Or just an escape?” Jurina asked, swishing the wine in her glass lazily. It had been a few hours since the two met, they couldn’t claim to have hit if off right away, but now they were having a good time sharing a loveseat, sipping on wine and enjoying the breeze from Jurina’s patio, which was pretty darn good in both their opinions.

“Hmm good question~” Rena might’ve been a little tipsy, but she opened up even if just a bit, and Jurina liked this side of her too. “I guess it was so I could meet someone like you.”

That caught Jurina attention, trying not to show it, she asked coolly, “And what do you mean by that?”

Rena smiled shyly, “I asked why you chose me earlier, didn’t I?”

Jurina nodded.

“Well I think I figured it out.” Leaning back in her seat, Rena glanced up at the sky. She always found the sky to be fascinating – sometimes it was dark and stormy, almost angry, then it could be sunny and bright, lighting up the world, or it could be like now, when it was the purest blue with a few clouds lazily rolling past and a splash of orange on the horizon where the sun was setting to rest – and this was Rena’s favorite. “You know the saying ‘a diamond in the rough’?”

“I do.”

Rena breathed a chuckle, “I guess I was the coal in a room full of diamonds then~”

“Perhaps~” Jurina didn’t think it was a bad thing though, and placed a hand over Rena’s in the small space between them. To her, Rena was more precious and beautiful than anyone else, possessing a strength and beauty worth capturing. Jurina knew how hard it was to not give into to conformity—to be different—and it wasn’t through research this time.

But she let Rena continue.

“And that’s what I mean by ‘meeting someone like you’. Someone who could bring out the diamond in me, someone who could even find it, because at the time I didn’t think I had anything worth finding.”

“You do.” Jurina insisted, but Rena wouldn’t meet her gaze.

“...”

“I uh...” Jurina started awkwardly, rubbing the back of her neck and a little embarrassed at sharing this, “Someone helped me get where I am too, someone who believed in me, so I just wanted to do that for someone else as well.” She peeked over at Rena.

Her eyes misted over as she only gave a small nod in response, though Jurina was sure Rena still wasn’t completely convinced, so she decided to try a different tactic.

“Hey, and I never did finish telling you my rules.”

Rena blinked, a little surprised at the random change in topic, but she knew Jurina was going somewhere with this and didn’t question it.

“So then third of all—” Jurina cleared her throat. “You have to live here, with me—to avoid all the publicity and...other reasons. If that’s alright with you.” She added quickly, glancing at Rena to check but only received a giggle plus a small nod to go on. Then she smiled, giving Rena’s hand a squeeze. “And then you can keep telling me about how you’re a piece of coal for as long as you like as much as you like, and I’ll keep on denying it. Because I promise there’s more to you than that.”

That’s why Jurina chose Rena after all – because she wasn’t just another face. Rena wasn’t like the others. She was unorthodox – just like Jurina. But even more special. And that’s what Jurina wanted.

Then the tears fell, but Rena smiled back sincerely, interlocking her fingers with Jurina’s securely and looked back at the sky again but with a more relaxed nature. Jurina did the same, a content smile tugging at her lips as well now that she felt things were finally okay.

“...”

“...I still want a job though.”

Jurina blinked, then laughed again, pleasantly surprised that this girl she met only hours ago made her laugh as much in those few hours as her 20 years on this planet. “Of course~”

So maybe Rena wasn’t simple as Jurina initially thought her out to be, but that made it even better, because now Jurina could take her time and learn even more things about Matsui Rena, and maybe even a little more than that.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:36:01 PM by Keiyuu »

Offline MisakiShishido

• ♥愛しきライバル♥
  • Member+
  • 希望は体力, まだまだ大丈夫!
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »
Ngaaaaaw what a sweet little WMatsui OS you've written.  :heart:

It's a given fact that Jurina will always be attracted by Rena's aura even when they are a thousand kilometres apart xD Okay I'm exaggerating a bit now.

Love love loveeee your descriptive writing as always. And their diabetically sweet conversation with each other as the time they shared together (eventhough it was just a matter of hours) was totally on point.

Nice work of art once again, Keiyuu~ Looking forward to more, bruh!  :thumbsup

Offline Sachiko288

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:51 AM »
Sugoii

Offline junchan

• Junchan48's second account. Yoroshiku~
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »
“You have to live here, with me—to avoid all the publicity and...other reasons. If that’s alright with you.”
Lame reason! Lol
Then this puppy really know how to use her authority XD

“And then you can keep telling me about how you’re a piece of coal for as long as you like as much as you like, and I’ll keep on denying it. Because I promise there’s more to you than that.”
THAT'S IT! THIS KIND OF LINE! Not too cheesy yet make ma heart feel the 'doki-doki' sensation!>///<

Thanks for the update, Kei-chan!\^o^/
I'm a hardshipper of many pair! lol
Yoroshiku~

Offline Keiyuu

• Member+
Re: [Keiyuu's OS Collection] OS #8 For a Flight (YuiParu)
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 08:54:45 PM »
Hello wow it's been a while. Anyways I've been convinced to hop back into the fandom for a bit and maybe finish a few of those works that have been sitting in my hard drive all this time. I found this one that I never posted because I didn't think it was good enough (still don't but honestly can't be bothered to re-write the whole thing) but maybe someone will like it. Warning it's kinda long, almost 8k. Enjoy and feel free to leave any kind of comment!

For a Flight (YuiParu)

Paru hated planes. The constant rickety trembling during takeoff and landing and the people that rode on them. Every single time, it seemed, there would be a crying baby or someone talking obnoxiously loud on the phone. And if she was lucky, then she’d get a middle seat - stuck there with two people on either side of her which made it really hard to go to the bathroom. And it wasn’t like she could just not go, not when the plane ride lasted for a whole twelve hours.

Paru had gone to London, wandering around the old cobblestone streets rich with history and sipping on some strange European tea at a riverside restaurant. It had been her dream to go ever since she was little, and she jumped at the chance when it was presented, ignoring the mountains of paperwork she had to go through, ignoring the long hours of sitting there idly in a cramped seat, and ignoring the fact that she’d be away from her family for a whole month.

Nothing was going to stand in her way, not even her fear of planes. It wasn’t an unreasonable fear, the only other time she had ridden on one was when she was only seven years old, a quiet naïve little girl that got easily intimidated by the plane’s sheer size and rumbling engines.

And planes were flying death traps thousands of miles above the ground that could plummet at any miniscule malfunction, but no, Paru was going to go to her desired place even if it killed her (which she really hoped it wouldn’t).

She had prepared herself, now that she was older it shouldn’t be as bad. She couldn’t really remember much from the last time besides the fear (nothing of the actual experience), so Paru had steeled her resolve...but it kind of crumbled as she went down the tunnel to the plane. Just the tunnel itself was scary enough since it was possible to see through the cracks under feet at the ground several meters below. And after actually stepping on the plane, Paru had heaved a sigh, almost believing the worst was over.

But it had only just begun.

Her knuckles turned white as she gripped the armrest, eyes clenched shut during takeoff, which Paru briefly thought was conveniently visible on the screen on the back of the seat in front of her, though while watching the landing gear disappearing into the plane’s shell she to remind herself to breathe and not hyperventilate. That would be bad. But then it wasn’t so bad in midair, a lot better than she thought it’d be. They cruised along smoothly without any turbulence. Having had her hopes dashed earlier, she had believed that it would be the worst of it when they were high up in the atmosphere, thank the gods it wasn’t.

They even provided a little TV for her (and every other passenger) and it was equipped with the latest movies and songs, providing adequate entertainment and distraction for her mind. Paru had been busy lately with packing and researching London (as if she hadn’t done plenty of extensive research over the years already) and had to get everything done before she could go. This meant that the entire month before hand, she had missed out on her favorite shows and music. So she was glad to catch up on AKB’s new single during the trip.

Paru had passed the plane ride by watching four movies total, and sleeping for the rest. This meant that she was completely distracted the whole time, from the shaky turbulence, from the thought of going to a foreign country alone, and from her discomfort of sitting close to people that she knew nothing about. To her relief, no one had spoken to her and she was glad to have avoided any kind of confrontation. Being approached had never really gone well for her before.

So she simply had to occupy herself somehow so the boredom wouldn’t kill her. And she’d realized at some point though, that plane rides were actually way more boring and tedious rather than scary.

Now that the trip was over, a whole month passing in the blink of an eye, Paru mentally prepared herself to get on the deathtrap once again - now back to Japan. Her trip to London was actually funded by her University, where she was currently residing and studying photography as her major. Her class had written an essay about where they would like to visit to enjoy the scenery and surprisingly, Paru had won, earning her the all expenses paid vacation halfway across the world.

She loitered around the waiting area, buying some ice cream to snack on (but London had much larger serving sizes than Japan) and Paru was quite full when she finished it just in time to board. With her broken English skills, Paru heard the recorded voice of some attendant lady alerting them that her flight was now letting passengers on. And so Paru rolled her carry-on along behind her and hopped on the plane.

This time she had gotten the window seat – an amazing stroke of luck on her side since it meant she only had to deal with one seat mate. Also because Paru liked to gaze out the window, watching the fluffy clouds roll past. Sometimes she wished she could be as easygoing as those clouds.

As an early boarder, Paru found her seat quickly and pulled out her book and food plus headphones, making sure everything was in easy reach before anyone else decided to come along. It’d be a pain to ask them to move for her to grab something out of her bag.

And Paru didn’t like talking to people anyways, they always thought she was rude, just because she was blunt. It was just because Paru didn’t put any effort into first impressions which was why they were always bad.

Then there was always the chance of those people trying to strike up a conversation with her, and her cold attitude usually made them misunderstand her horribly, leaving her with some nasty remark or comment and making her feel like it was all her fault and regretting ever speaking in the first place.

But then if everyone was going to judge her like that on their first meeting, then Paru decided a long time ago that she didn’t really want to get to know anyone anyways.

Hopefully no one abrasive would come sit next to her. Hopefully she’d be able to end her trip on a good note, with one last pleasant memory to reminisce on.

She already had her headphones atop her head when the first girl arrived, but only on one ear. Actually, Paru thought that she’d be sitting alone by the window since the plane was almost taking off and no one had come to claim the two seats beside her yet. But she was mistaken as another Japanese girl around Paru’s age sat beside her, panting probably because she had sprinted after almost missing her flight. And she sat right beside her.

Paru’s guard immediately went up.

“Phew! I thought I wasn’t going to make it!” The girl spoke in a slight accent – and in Japanese too - as she started rummaging through her stuff and putting some of it away under the seat in front of her. She only had one small backpack which Paru found weird since she herself had a whole suitcase for carry-on. The girl had chosen the seat right beside Paru even though most people would choose distance. Not her apparently.

Paru studied the girl a little more, having deemed she had nothing else better to do at the moment. The girl had shoulder-length black hair, sort of a bob haircut but longer, and from the one sentence she spoke in Japanese, it seemed she wasn’t from Tokyo but Paru couldn’t place it just yet. Her face was also distinctly Japanese and Paru had to admit it, she was very pretty.

Suddenly, the girl turned to her with a wide friendly smile, extending her hand, “Hi, I guess we’ll be together for the next 12 hours so nice to meet you.”

Paru blinked. Excuse me? Normally people wouldn’t even say anything to the person next to them except a ‘Can you move, I need to go to the bathroom’. She was so...open. Unguarded. Paru didn’t like it.

“Um yeah...Nice to meet you.” She said with a blank face didn’t take the offered hand. Paru moved her other headphone onto her ear, hoping that her salty response would put an end to anything the other girl was trying to start and just slid up the window cover and stared out onto the asphalt, waiting for the plane to start moving. A small movement in the glass caught her attention and she automatically glanced up a little, almost startled at seeing the girl’s reflection in the window, still smiling at her quietly. But of course, Paru refused to show it.

She’s so weird. I already brushed her off so why’s she still smiling like that? She huffed and tried to ignore the girl, and it worked this time. The said girl went back to digging through her bag before the attendant told her to put it away, or at least that’s what Paru assumed happened since she couldn’t hear over the music in her ears.

---

A couple hours later, the plane had started its trip and Paru had gone through most of her playlists, pulling her headphones off with a sigh. Now she had to find something else to do and turned to the screen lodged in the headrest in front of her for entertainment. But as she scrolled through the limited number of movies, she realized that she had already seen all the interesting ones. Sadly she had watched all of them on the last plane ride. Oh what to do, what to do...

“What’re you reading?” The girl tried to peek at the title of the book in Paru’s lap (who had thankfully brought it just in case). Paru held it up for her to see. “Ah Art of War? That’s an interesting choice.”

“Hmm.” She buried her nose back into the reading, trying to keep her mind off of her seatmate who she felt was still staring at her. A few seconds passed, thought it felt like an eternity, and finally Paru closed the book with a sigh, unable to cope with the unwanted attention any longer. “Is there something wrong?”

The girl smiled at her again. Paru was sure she’d never gotten so many smiles from people in her lifetime as she had in these last few hours.

“Nope. I was just curious...”

“About what?...” Paru asked cautiously, brows furrowing a bit.

“About your name, since you never said it. Oh but I didn’t tell you mine, did I?” She smiled sheepishly. “I’m Yokoyama Yui by the way. Sorry I forgot to introduce myself.” And she bowed a little. At least she still had some manners.

Paru still didn’t understand why this stranger was trying to talk with her. It couldn’t be because Paru was interesting because she was always so disinterested in everything around her. So she simply couldn’t fathom why Yui was trying to strike up a conversation, it wasn’t like Paru was ever going to respond with the same fervor and enthusiasm.

This Yui girl might be interesting...or at the least a distraction.

It probably wouldn’t hurt in any case. It’s not like she was ever going to see the girl again after the flight so what was she afraid of? She should at least state her name, Paru decided.

“...Shimazaki Haruka.”

She didn’t think it possible but Yui’s grin grew even wider. She was probably feeling victorious for prying the hard-earned name from Paru’s lips.

“So Haruka-chan? Hmm do you mind if I call you by your first name? Shimazaki-san is a bit long and I’ve been living in London a while so it’s kind of weird going back. Let’s see~ Do you have a nickname already or do I have the liberty of making one up?”

Paru stared at her incredulously. Is she being serious right now?

“Hmm...Haruka......Haru...” Apparently Yui had taken Paru’s silence as a yes. A light bulb seemed to flick on by the look in her eyes. “...Paru.”

“Wait what?”

“Paru.” She happily repeated. “It sounds cute. Don’t you agree?”

“How did you...” Paru blinked in shock. How did Yui come up with that nickname so easily? It was one that she had been using ever since her childhood but only a rare few ever called her that or knew it now, and she certainly never considered sharing it with someone she just met.

But apparently she didn’t need to.

“Am I right? I am pretty good a giving nicknames.” Yui giggled softly, “I guess I’ll call you Paru then~”

Paru put her blank face back on and turned away, back to the window once again tapping her fingers on the arm rest but also noting that Yui’s laugh was a little high-pitched—not that she cared. But by this time it was already dark outside and there really wasn’t anything to see anymore. The clouds blended into the night sky, forming one endless shape of dark blue.

But Paru, being as Paru is, still thought it was better than talking to Yui. It was kind of beautiful anyways, she thought, how the sky and clouds were two completely different and separate entities yet they somehow complemented each other so well. Even when the sky turned different colors, brilliant blues to warm orange to dark gray, the soft clouds were still there, supporting the sky gently.

---

“Are you from Kyoto? Or somewhere in Kansai?”

Yui looked at her, shocked. It had been the first time throughout the entire trip that Paru had willingly opened her mouth. But perhaps a few hours stuck in a plane would do that to you.

“Yeah, my family’s from there and I lived there when I was little, but then we moved to Tokyo...”

Paru nodded and turned away again, shuffling in her seat and satisfied with the answer.

Yui cursed mentally for letting herself trail off. It was the only time the other girl had spoken to her of her own accord and Yui somehow botched it up. She’d been doing okay until now, asking various questions of Paru and getting varying degrees of answers. Sometimes Paru would nod (just like now) or if Yui had chosen a good question then she’d be able to elicit maybe a few sentences from the normally distant girl. She had figured out that Paru wasn’t really comfortable sharing things, maybe she had a reason to be that way though, and Yui wasn’t one to judge. She had some bad experiences herself that she’d prefer not to dredge up.

But maybe that’s why she wanted to talk with Paru in the first place.

“So um how could you tell?” Her level of excitement had dropped since earlier since instead of infecting Paru with it, it seemed to drain her more. Yui usually wasn’t that excitable of a person anyways, or this talkative, but today was just a little special. A very cute girl sat beside her after all, the issue was just that Yui really sucked at flirting.

“Your accent. It makes it kind of obvious, no offense.”

“Oh I see. And where are you from?”

“Tokyo.” Another one word answer.

“Ah so maybe we live close to each other. I live there now.” Yui remarked, she was gradually getting her flow back. Okay I got this... “I haven’t been home in a few years, so I wonder how my place looks...probably reeeeaaally dusty.” She cringed at the thought of cleaning, something she missed about living with her family was definitely the division of chores. “So why were you in London? It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me.”

Thankfully, Paru wasn’t fed up with her just yet and Yui nearly cheered.

“My University paid for the trip...so I could study the scenery.”

“The scenery? What for?”

“Photography. That’s my major...We’re supposed to learn how to appreciate all kinds of subjects, from manmade buildings to nature’s trees.”

“I see...That does make a lot of sense. I’m sure you’re a great photographer. You’ve got this whole ‘quiet appreciation’ thing down.” Yui chuckled.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you’re so quiet. It seems like there’s a lot going on in your head but you choose not to voice it out. I’d love to know what you’re thinking though, seems like it’d be interesting.” She mused.

“...”

“Oh I said too much didn’t I? Haha I always seem to do that. People tell me to mind my own business all the time like ‘I don’t want to hear your ‘damn philosophical teachings’ and stuff like that.” Yui chuckled, trying hard not to make it sound forced.

But Paru shook her head slowly, disagreeing. “No, I don’t think you’re being too intrusive. You just..say what you think. Not a lot of people do that. I was just...surprised.” She admitted, “You’re different than I initially thought.”

“Oh really? Huh...I didn’t think about it that way. Well thanks for defending me~” Yui smiled again.

Her smile was so warm and welcoming Paru didn’t know how to feel about it. She had become cautious of welcoming smiles, seemingly nice people, and those wounds hadn’t healed quite yet. But she decided to venture out a bit, into the unknown, just this once. It came out almost a whisper, “You don’t think I’m silently judging you?”

Yui thought about it, “Hmm maybe you are but is that such a bad thing?”

Paru stared at her.

“Who says that you see everything in a negative way? Like I said, you seem like the type who appreciates things, not judging them negatively. And if you’re taking photography, then you must have an eye for beauty.”

Paru recalled thinking Yui was beautiful earlier on, and that was even before Yui had smiled at her like she is now, but Paru squashed that thought down immediately though finding it more of a struggle than she anticipated. Was it getting hot?

Yui continued on, eyes gazing past the back of the seat in front of her, seemingly lost in thought. “People make all these assumptions but that’s all they are – assumptions. And it doesn’t really matter anyway...you’re just you. It’s fine...and probably hard, I think,” She glanced back at Paru and the latter suddenly felt like shrinking into the cushions. “To say what you really feel.”

Hearing that, it was no wonder people got annoyed at Yui’s so-called ‘philosophical teachings’, because that’s all they thought it was. But Paru knew, that only someone who had experienced pain, betrayal, loss, could speak about it like that. She briefly wondered if Yui’s outgoing side of her personality was developed from that motto.

And so for once, Paru didn’t respond not because she didn’t want to.

She didn’t know how to.

---

“Do you wanna get up and stretch?” Yui had been playing with her phone but noticed out of the corner of her eye that Paru kept adjusting her position in her seat, never staying in one for too long. She didn’t blame her, her own butt was starting to fall asleep too.

“Stretch where?” Paru adjusted so she was facing Yui. Her reaction time to Yui’s questions was getting faster.

“We can walk up and down the aisle. A lot of people do that, see?” Yui glanced back at the few hanging out by the bathroom.

“Okay.”

---

“Ugh, I feel sick...” They had just had lunch (courtesy of the airline) and Paru had finished a cup of ramen, missing the Japanese noodles after her time in London. But the ramen hadn’t agreed with her and the altitude of the plane was not helping.

“Are you okay? Do you need to go to the restroom?” Yui asked with concern, seeing as the other girl was hunched over in her seat with a hand clamped over her mouth and the other pressed flat against her stomach.

A curt nod was all it took before Yui scrambled out of her seat to make way for Paru, who then practically sprinted to the small restroom located at the very back of the plane. She didn’t have the time nor the patience to deal with closing the door, there were more pressing matters at hand.

Like puking her guts out.

Luckily, no one saw the disgusting display because Yui came in and closed the door behind her, rubbing Paru’s back calmly and helping hold her hair back out of the way.

When it was finally over, Paru stood up from her squatting position with a groan, a horrible blush on her cheeks from embarrassment while the rest of her face was a bit pale. She hated when she was sick and letting people see her in that condition. Paru would usually only let her mom see her so weak, but now Yui was in her place. The way she patted Paru’s back and spoke quiet words of reassurance was just as soothing as her mom, and somehow, Paru felt oddly at ease with it. But she was still embarrassed.

They made it safely back to their seats (Paru at the window and Yui beside her) after Paru thoroughly rinsed her mouth of the horrible aftertaste but Yui was still worried at the slight flush in Paru’s face.

“Are you alright? Your face is kinda red...” Yui leaned over and tried to touch foreheads with Paru, honestly concerned with her well being.

Paru leaned back out of instinct and Yui frowned, their faces only a few inches apart. This did nothing to reduce the heat on Paru’s face and she fought to keep her cool.

“I’m fine.”

It came out more hostile than she had intended and Yui backed out of her personal space immediately. Paru instantly felt terrible for being so cold to the girl when she was just concerned and trying to help.

“I-I’m sorry...” She apologized quietly. “I shouldn’t have said it like that. I didn’t mean to, I know you’re just trying to help.”

Yui shook her head and gave her a small smile, this time a little sad. “Don’t be. I was in your personal space and it’s not my right to be so close to you.” She tugged at the seat belt absentmindedly. “We’ve only just met after all.”

That’s what Paru initially thought too, but she still couldn’t help but feel a pang of sadness when Yui said it. She wanted to make it up to her, she did. The girl looked so dejected. Paru always managed to make people feel that way, she thought regrettably.

“I’m sorry for bothering you throughout this trip. I guess I was just kind of excited to see another Japanese girl like me and couldn’t wait to talk to you. I’m actually a pretty shy person...most of the time, but I haven’t had the chance to speak Japanese in a while besides calls to my mom. And I guess I just happened to let it out all on you haha...” Yui scratched her cheek sheepishly. She didn’t add the part about sitting next to a cute girl exactly her type also putting her in an extremely good mood, which then led to her trying too hard to impress said girl.

“You don’t have to apologize.”

“I know, but I wanted to.”

“Why don’t we watch a movie?”

“Huh?”

“Let’s watch a movie...You can pick.” Paru suggested, staring intently at Yui.

After a brief pause, Yui felt a fluttering sense of happiness in her chest as she finally realized what Paru was doing.

She’s trying to make me feel better.

So she obviously couldn’t refuse the offer, after seeing the effort the usually salty girl was making. Yui beamed, “Sure let’s watch a movie!”

Paru was almost taken aback by Yui’s enthusiasm, but at the same time glad that she had returned to normal. She didn’t know how to return the favor property, but figured it was the least she could do after someone had finally taken the time to try and get to know Paru. And though she wasn’t all that used to smiling, Paru let a small one show as Yui turned her attention to the screen in front of her own seat, already browsing through selection of films her own lips spread in a wide grin.

---

The two ended up watching Big Hero Six because Yui hadn’t seen it yet and really wanted to. And Paru didn’t complain because she had said that Yui could pick the movie, but also because she quite liked the movie herself.

Unfortunately, the airline only provided on-ear headphones and not earbuds, so that made it impossible to share the sound and watch the movie on the same screen. So that left them with two options – either not watch the movie, or watch it separately and try to time the films so that they played at exactly the same time.

They chose the latter.

Yui refused to give up and actually ended up timing both movies quite close together. It seemed like they were matched completely, but Paru soon realized that her own screen was a split second behind. Yui would be the first to laugh or react to something that happened, and Paru would watch it on Yui’s TV. What was the point of watching her own when Yui’s happened first and distracted her every time? Paru also heard what they said a little late that way so it wasn’t as interesting anymore.

And before she’d realized, Paru had scooted quite close to Yui get a better view since she’d given up watching her own screen, only now noticing a pleasant scent. Huh. She kinda smells nice...

Yui though, kept looking over at Paru, trying to see how the girl was reacting to the scenes, but Paru wasn’t really into it and didn’t have any change in her expression at all. It was kind of odd in Yui’s opinion that Paru was so stoic, but she didn’t question it.

She thought that maybe Paru was just like that – like Paru.

Paru eventually started getting sleepy though, the sky outside the window was completely black at this point and she kept nodding off (she was utterly too comfortable in Yui’s presence). Then her head would bob back up before her eyelids would flutter close again. She wasn’t sure how many times this happened before she actually fell asleep.

Yui felt a weight on her shoulder and looked down (having been distracted by the climax of the film) only to be met with the sight of an adorable-looking Paru using her shoulder as a pillow. Her mouth was slightly open and her breath tickled Yui’s neck, which caused the latter to giggle quietly. “How cute~”

She looked around and realized that just about every other passenger was already asleep and Yui was the only one still awake. Yui had this habit of going to bed late and getting up early (mostly to avoid the nightmares), but somehow she still managed even with her lack of sleep. She had to.

“I guess I should go to bed too. It’s getting kind of late.” Yui didn’t really want to though. There was only six hours left on the flight time and she wanted to spend it talking with Paru, which was a rare case since Yui had few people she actually considered her friends, putting up a front for all the others. But it was different with Paru, they didn’t even have to talk, perhaps just enjoying the other girl’s company would be enough for Yui, she smiled and thought.

Yui didn’t know why she liked the girl so much, she just did. Just like when she first laid eyes on her – staring out the small window of the plane with her headphones on, blocking out the world. Something had spoken to Yui, gave her the urge to reach out and maybe make friends with the lonely girl with light brown hair.

It wasn’t a lie, maybe it was different when she was a kid but Yui was always shy and timid in high school, fearful of her upperclassmen and not really approaching others after her own sad past. But she’d gradually gotten over that. And when she saw that Paru was the same way, so guarded and distant...well one of them had to be the outgoing one and it definitely wasn’t going to be the salty girl.

But it wasn’t hard for her to become comfortable with Paru anyways.

Yui paused the movie, settling into a more comfortable position but careful not to disturb her cute neighbor, then whispered in Paru’s ear with a small smile, “I’ll see you when I wake up then. Good night, Paru~”

Then she pulled a blanket over both of them, leaning her head against Paru’s and fell asleep soundly too - the best sleep she’s had in years.

---

Paru woke up with the sun shining on her closed eyelids, groaning and turning her head while burying her face into something soft. She wasn’t sure when she got such a plump pillow, but it was quite comfortable and she snuggled even closer. But conscious thought hit her moments later.

Wait a minute...this doesn’t really feel like a pillow at all...

She reluctantly opened her eyes and saw blue. Like denim blue......the color of jeans.

Paru snapped right up into a sitting position and looked at the place where her head had been laying just a second ago, then up at the face of the person who was sitting a seat farther away from her now.

Yui had this surprised look on her face since Paru practically jumped out of the seat. She thought the girl was still sleeping!

“Good morning Paru~” Yui greeted with a grin, recovering quickly and happy that the other girl was now awake. Yui had woken up about an hour earlier, but couldn’t bring herself to wake Paru up. Her sleeping face was simply too adorable to disturb.

Paru frowned and muttered a good morning, rubbing her eyes. Her hair was kind of disheveled and Yui observed that maybe Paru wasn’t much of a morning person due to her grogginess, unlike Yui. She was wondering why Paru seemed confused though, and waited for the girl to speak up.

“...Was I...sleeping on your lap?”

“Yeah, you were. At first you fell asleep on my shoulder, but I happen to be very bony so I didn’t think that was very comfortable at all.” Yui joked. “And you were frowning in your sleep so I moved over a seat and laid your head in my lap. You slept like a baby after that~”

Paru’s brow creased further as she glared at the empty seat between them, gaze practically boring holes in the cushion.

“...Do you want me to move back?”

“Huh?” Her head popped up, eyes now wide.

Yui chuckled at Paru’s ditziness that seemed to come out when she first woke up, Yui learned. Then she hopped over a seat - back to Paru’s side. “There~ Better?

“Wh-What do you mean?” Paru had this slight tinge of red on her face even if she was still frowning and Yui didn’t mistake it for a fever this time.

“Hehe you’re cute when you’re all embarrassed~”

Paru blushed harder and looked away.

“Oh, sorry...I didn’t mean to let that slip hehe...” She trailed off, now also with a red tinge to her cheeks. God this isn’t like me at all...

Nothing happened yet, they were still two strangers that were also seatmates. They hadn’t talked all that much (even if Yui felt like she knew Paru already) and she wasn’t even sure if Paru felt the same. Heck they hadn’t even known each other for a full day yet! Yui couldn’t start pulling shit like that! Not yet at least.

Then Paru groaned and rubbed her eyes again, with both hands this time and muttered to herself, “Ugh I think I’m still asleep...”

Does she think this is a dream? Wait a minute does that mean she dreamt about me?! Yui almost couldn’t contain her excitement but kept a cool face on. Yui had to keep her composure and not act like someone who had just won the lottery (though she felt pretty damn near close). “The flight’s almost over by the way. We practically slept through the last couple hours of it. It was halfway around the world but it sure seemed quick though, for a flight.”

Paru jerked her head up and stared at Yui with wide eyes. “You mean we’re going to land soon?”

It startled Yui for a split second, she wasn’t used to Paru meeting her gaze. But still answered calmly, “Yeah.”

“And we’ll be in Tokyo?”

“Yep.”

“So it’s almost at an end?”

“Yes, that’s what I said.”

Paru frowned again. So my time with Yui is almost over...

The disappointment hit her in waves, each one stronger than the last. But Paru wasn’t sure if she really wanted to admit that.

“Hey it’s okay. There’s still a good half hour left before we land so we can do plenty of stuff in the meantime.”

“Like what.”

“Like um...Like what we’ve been doing.”

Paru sighed, frustrated for no apparent reason. She knew she shouldn’t be, it wasn’t like her at all, but she couldn’t help it.

“Do you not want to spend time with me? I can leave you alone if you want. I understand if you don’t like me since all I’ve been doing is forcefully talking to you...You can’t really force someone to open up if they don’t want to.” Yui was misreading her again, Paru didn’t want that—not with Yui.

“No. it’s not that.” She replied quickly.

Yui perked up a bit.

“It was kind of...fun.” And that got her to brighten instantly, positively beaming with joy and Paru thought the girl may burst so she added hastily. “For a flight.”

But nothing could stop that happy grin. Yui was like, really, like really ecstatic that Paru was okay with her. “Hey Paru...”

“What is it?”

“Can we just...talk then? For the remaining time? I feel like I still don’t much about you and if you’d let me...I’d love to learn more.”

Yui gazed at her with the most earnest eyes Paru had ever seen, and she almost got lost in them. They were even more colorful than the sky outside.

So she answered the only way she knew how – with one word.

“...Okay.”

---

Paru wandered aimlessly around the terminal exit, hopelessly waiting for Yui. She didn’t know why she was waiting, it wasn’t like they agreed on leaving the airport together or ever meeting up again afterwards. But Paru held a hope and a feeling that Yui might be doing the same – waiting for her.

So she wandered, ignoring everyone that tried to ask if she was lost. They had been together up until only a few minutes ago, so she might still be around. Paru really, like really hoped so.

When they left the plane, Yui had offered to (or rather forced Paru to let her) carry both their bags and lug Paru’s suitcase for her, saying that Paru had felt sick earlier and shouldn’t strain herself. And as if sensing that Paru didn’t want to part just yet, Yui stayed with her (though she felt the same), waiting in line together during customs and talking more, going through baggage claim and chasing luggage on the conveyor belt, it wasn’t until the last bit when they had to go through some more security that they got separated.

Paru had made it through safely, her forms in order and apparently not suspicious, but Yui hadn’t. They caught her, the damn customs kidnapped her and dragged her off somewhere for questioning.

Actually it might have just been luck of the draw that Yui was chosen for further investigation (which really happened all the time), but Paru was still furious nonetheless. Especially when Yui had just smiled back at her somewhat reassuringly, leaving Paru with only her luggage as company once again, and said that she’d be right back.

So Paru waited. She had been waiting. And now she’s still waiting.

And while she waited, she thought about the last conversation they had before deboarding the plane. Unlike the lighthearted talks Yui liked to start, they talked about their childhoods a bit, and Paru had learned that they were more alike then she thought.

Yui had been bullied all throughout middle school. Her classmates all thought she was too uptight, too much of a goody two shoes that kissed up to all the teachers to get a good grade. Her parents were always sending her to school with gifts to the teachers for the holidays and that only made it worse. The other students would hide Yui’s shoes and stick gum onto her clothes while she was in gym class. They all snickered when she found out, not even bothering to hide who did it. And Yui never told. She didn’t want to cause trouble and that’s all telling would bring. Trouble for her parents, trouble for the school, trouble for herself. But more trouble came anyways. Nearing the end of her third year, the bullying got worse. She was always pushed around when her classmates passed by, leaving bruises from the impact, calling her names, going as far as suspecting she was sleeping around with the teachers. Eventually she went from a ‘nerd’ to a ‘slut’ to a ‘bitch’ and so on. She cried all alone and wiped the tears off before her parents got home. Every day made her feel worthless. Like there was no point in going to school if it was just going to be torture, no point in working hard if her efforts were just scorned, no point in living if no one else cared if she was alive.

Paru had gripped her hand tightly by that last part, and Yui had just smiled at her. It was a sad smile, but a smile nonetheless and Paru wondered how she did it. The only reason the bullying stopped is because Yui’s family moved to Tokyo and she started going to high school there. She made a few friends that weren’t too close, but it was much better than before, Yui had told her.

At least it was over now. Maybe the past could never be forgotten but it was just that – the past. Yui ended the story with that, and Paru couldn’t agree more upon hearing it. Maybe it was exactly what she needed to hear.

“Paru! Over here!”

Paru spun around and nearly collapsed in relief. There she was. Yui was waving wildly at her from the adjacent exit (probably having come out of Terminal A instead of B like Paru), while pushing through the sea of people and was smiling so brightly it was almost blinding.

So there was only one thing to do. Paru ran up and tackled her in a hug, almost knocking them over and their luggage too (which would’ve been quite the mess) and she wasn’t about to let go even if a plane crashed on top of them.

---

“Where do you live?” Yui asked for the second time in twenty-four hours.

“Why should I tell you?”

Yui laughed, “Answering a question with a question, that’s very Paru-like.”

Paru pouted and started watching the cars and lights pass by outside the window, completely ignoring Yui’s presence but not really. The two were in the back of a cab, it was dark outside considering it was almost midnight, and they were headed home, well, Yui’s home. Paru had actually asked if she could stay the night at Yui’s, since she’d told her she lived alone as well, which surprised the both of them. But Yui had recovered quickly, cheerfully agreeing and relaying her address to the taxi driver.

But Paru since wouldn’t tell Yui where she lived, the latter just hoped it wasn’t too far for her to take Paru home tomorrow. At the very least Yui knew she lived in Tokyo. If it was far though...well Yui would just have to take another trip with Paru then, wouldn’t she?

“Paru~”

“...”

“Paru~”

“...”

“Paruru~”

“Paruru?” Paru quirked an eyebrow at the extra syllable.

Yui just smiled and reached over, placing her hand atop of Paru’s on the seat.

“Wh-What?”

“Nothing. I just want to.” Yui’s warmth enveloped Paru just like their overlapped hands, and Paru felt her heart beat rapidly in her chest. Then she slowly turned her hand over and gripped Yui’s lightly, the latter returning the gesture with a gentle squeeze. Thanks to that, Paru felt even warmer and her heart pounded even harder.

But it wasn’t such a bad feeling. Paru smiled.

---

“We’re here! Finally! Home sweet home!” Yui exclaimed and stretched with her arms wide, way too much energy in her to be contained (Paru blamed it on the coffee she let Yui buy from Starbucks on the way, logically claiming one of them had to keep awake during the car ride but Paru regretted it now). They were only as far in as the first flight of stairs of the apartment building, a long hallway ran the length behind it with several doors leading to separate apartments. The bottom of the staircase was where they decided to leave the suitcases there to deal with another time.

Paru tugged on her sleeve and muttered, “Not so loud...You’ll wake everyone up.”

She herself had been asleep up until a few moments ago.

Yui chuckled sheepishly. “Sorry, I’m just too excited because you’re here.”

“Hmm, cheesy.”

“Eh maybe I am, but only with you.” Yui took Paru’s hand again, giving it a squeeze before softly pulling her up the stairs. “This sure brings back memories.”

“What floor do you live on?” Paru inquired, taking quick deliberate steps.

“The fourth floor. Apartment 48A.”

“...”

“And here we are~”

Four flights of stairs and some distance down another hallway later, they were standing in front of a wooden door marked with the cursive symbol: 48A.

But Yui didn’t go in, instead letting go of Paru’s hand and scooted over to the next adjacent door, then banged on it full force.

*DON*

*DON*

*DON*

Three loud resounding thumps later, some far away shuffling could be heard behind it, then a sudden thud and some very distraught cursing followed. Yui looked amused. The voice got closer and louder until the door swung open violently to reveal a woman in robe with slightly crumpled wavy black hair. “—I SWEAR IF THAT’S YOU YUI I’M GOING TO—Who’s that?”

“Nice to see you too, Miyuki.” Yui chuckled.

“I don’t see why you’re so energetic at this time of night...You’re almost never this lively...” Miyuki muttered under her breath and rubbed at the back of her head. There would be a bump there tomorrow.

Yui just glanced at Paru in response, then back and that’s all it took for Miyuki to understand. But then she put it off for a moment as she noticed something, staring at Paru and seemingly scrutinizing her appearance. “...Have I seen you before?” She finally asked.

“Yes.”

“I have?”

“You have?” Yui was perplexed. “Where have you guys met before?”

“At the bottom of the staircase.”

“...Huh?”

“Oh yeah I remember!” Miyuki clapped her hands together. “You’re Shimazaki, right? I do remember saying hi to you in the morning once.”

“Eh?”

Paru nodded. “Nice to see you again.” She offered curtly.

“I’m sorry but can someone please EXPLAIN.”

Miyuki frowned and looked at Yui incredulously. “You mean you’re friends with her and you don’t even know that she lives here? She even lives on the same floor, right across the hall.” She jabbed a finger in that direction.

“You can’t be serious.” Yui turned to face Paru. “Is that why you didn’t tell me your address? You really live here. Like, really?”

Paru simply nodded again, a slight smile threatening to break out. “In 48B.”

Yui merely stared at her.

“...”

“...”

“...”

“I’m sorry but can you please take your eye sex somewhere else, I still want to sleep.” Miyuki said, suppressing a yawn with her hand.

“WHAT?!”

Miyuki sighed, ignoring Yui’s flabbergasted expression (though it was priceless), and halfway closed her door with only her head peeking out. “It was nice to see you again Shimazaki-san. And no Yui, I’m not going to help you lug your bags up here. I already helped you tidy your place while you were gone and you still haven’t thanked me yet! So good night you two~”

And with that, she shut the door and went back to bed.

“...That was...interesting.”

“How?” Yui frowned at her friend’s behavior then sighed, “Now how are we supposed to get those bags up here?”

“You carry them.”

“Me?”

“Yes you.” Paru confirmed. “And then you’re going to help me dust off everything in my apartment since Miyuki-san cleaned yours.”

“Okay...” Yui agreed reluctantly. And here she thought she’d finally gotten away without cleaning anything. But then again...if it was for Paru, then she’d be more than happy to. “Let’s start tomorrow. Now we should just get some sleep ‘cause I’m too tired to clean~”

And Yui didn’t even know that Paru’s room was already a mess before she left, but Paru decided against mentioning it. “What about the bags?”

“We can get those tomorrow too. It’s not like anyone’s going to steal them if they’re inside.”

“If you say so.” Though Paru could think of quite a few residents here that might take a peek at the contents.

“So...” Yui smirked, “My place or yours?”

Paru stared at her and replied without so much as a bat of an eyelid. “Yours. Definitely.”

Yui laughed long and hard, the high sound making Paru feel absurdly happy and content about the present, so much so that the past didn’t even seem to matter, and even more so when they stepped into Yui’s home, hand in hand, which may become their home soon enough.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:52:28 PM by Keiyuu »

Offline Haruko

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
Thank you for bring back our cheesy yuipau hope you can post more fics here!

Offline Minami-chan

• Member+
  • Still Love You
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
This fan fiction of YuiParu, has been very nice.
Thank you very much for writing it.

Offline ShadShadow

• どいつもこいつもうそばっかりやで!
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »
Kyaaa! Thanks for this fanfic.
It's actually quite impressive how much feeling was conveyed while the two were just talking

I hope more YuiParu will follow :-)

Offline daph

• atsumina
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »
So cute wmatsui *-* your descriptions were very well written too I felt I was with jurina lol

Offline daph

• atsumina
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »
I love the characterization of yuihan in this!! Plus you're good at not making descriptions boring ahaha

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Depapepe - Beethoven