JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Kodoku no Kakera

Author Topic: Official NBA Thread  (Read 486950 times)

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official NBA Thread
« Reply #2920 on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:56 AM »
Brandon Marshall wants to play in NBA

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

DAVIE, Fla. -- Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall said Thursday that if NFL teams lock out the players next year, he will try out for the NBA.

Marshall said he plans to audition for either the Denver Nuggets or the Miami Heat.

"My first team will be the Nuggets and my second team will be the Heat -- I'm serious," Marshall said.

Asked to clarify whether he will pursue a basketball career if there is no NFL season in 2011, Marshall said: "Not pursuing -- I'm going to be on an NBA team. Seriously."

Marshall said he was good enough to play shooting guard professionally.

The Pro Bowl wideout played basketball at Lake Howell High School in Florida and frequently attended NBA games in Denver.

Marshall, who signed a four-year, $47.5 million contract extension after being traded from Denver to Miami in April, didn't expect to be playing football at this time next year.

"There's not going to be any football," Marshall predicted. "If there's a lockout, I have to find a job. I figure the Nuggets will be a better choice because of the welcome home cheer I'll get -- a couple of boos at first. I'm gonna get with a basketball coach and get to work, prepare for the lockout."

News of Marshall's plans surprised the Dolphins, but didn't worry them either. Told about Marshall's lockout gameplan, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said, "I've seen him jump -- he's not playing basketball."

Marshall insists otherwise. He has spoken to his agent about it and intends to follow through on it.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2921 on: August 13, 2010, 02:03:47 AM »
LeBron James, Dwyane Wade at talks

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul were among the players who attended a negotiating session between the NBA and the union Thursday.

"It's important for me that all of us, as being the faces of the NBA, to be involved in the negotiations and what's going on," Anthony said as he left. "Our future is in jeopardy if we can't come into a mutual agreement."

Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson also attended. Paul is the only one of the All-Stars who was scheduled to be there as a member of the players' executive committee.

Players' association executive director Billy Hunter said 14 players participated in the meeting in Manhattan. The sides agreed to hold another session before training camp so players can take part again.

The current collective bargaining agreement expires June 30, 2011.

"It was great conversation, great dialogue going back and forth," said Anthony, the Denver Nuggets star. "The communication was great. Hopefully we can come to an agreement soon."

The four-hour bargaining session Thursday was the first since February's All-Star weekend, when the players -- also strengthened by the surprising attendance of some big names -- rejected the owners' proposal. The union recently submitted its own proposal, but commissioner David Stern has indicated it's similar to the current CBA, and the owners are seeking significant changes to the system.

Stern has estimated the league will lose about $370 million this season, which the union disputes. The sides began discussions last year but remained far apart, creating fears of a lockout next summer.

But they were striking a cooperative tone after Thursday's meeting, issuing a joint statement praising "constructive dialogue and a productive exchange of information."

"While we still have much work to do," the statement said, "it was encouraging how many players and owners participated in the process and all pledged to continue to work together."
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2922 on: August 14, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »
Who watched the Hall of Fame enshrinement?

Really powerful speeches, choked up as Mailman and Pippen dropped their speeches. It is all about the people that surround you: TEAM WORK. I love this game man. Just seeing Dr. Buss as a fanboy, the best owner in sports period. And Cynthia Cooper moved me with her Moms and  the HDTV with God bit.

“I would say this: With the guys they got, they’re going to be a hell of a team,” Malone said of the Heat. “I pick the Lakers.”

KCAL and Lakers reporter Jim Hill talks to the inductees: http://cbs2.com/video/?cid=193

lol The Dream Team getting inducted

Nice one Arizia. Sad to see him go swingman. Lakers finalize their bench with the signing of their draft picks, now get working on the TRIANGLE !!!!

lol @ Rodman, knew he was the one with the cowboy hat in the audience:
“People talk about LeBron,” said Rodman. “You’ve got to understand, LeBron has no business even being in the same conversation with Scottie. Scottie was the epitome of the (do it all elite player). What do you want me to say? Scottie was great.”

Just as so many of his other teammates have regularly done, Rodman was only following suit for the player who garnered so much respect throughout his 17 season career and will enter basketball’s Hall of Fame Friday in Springfield, Mass.

“Scottie was supportive. Michael was like his big brother and I came in as the black sheep of the family,” Rodman said of his Chicago arrival in 1995. “I did my wild thing, but it was cool and we kept it together. Scottie was right in the middle of that team and he supported us all.”

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2923 on: August 16, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
Coby Karl waived by father's team

Associated Press

DENVER -- The Denver Nuggets have waived guard Coby Karl, the son of coach George Karl, along with center Brian Butch.

Both players were signed on April 11 but didn't appear in any games in the regular season or playoffs.

Karl averaged 14 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in four games with Denver's summer league team in Las Vegas. Butch appeared in two summer-league games, averaging seven points and six boards.

George Karl is on vacation as he prepares for his courtside return next month after fighting throat cancer since the spring.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2924 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
Carlos Arroyo carries Puerto Rico

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Carlos Arroyo scored 16 points to lead Puerto Rico to a 92-76 exhibition victory over China at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.

Elias Ayuso and Peter John Ramos added 12 points each for Puerto Rico, while J.J. Barea had 11 points and 10 assists.

Puerto Rico built a 16-point lead midway through the third quarter, then pulled away again after China wiped most of it away by the end of the period.

China couldn't overcome its poor shooting (33 percent) and the dismal play of Yi Jianlian of the Washington Wizards, who shot 3-for-15 for 11 points.

China was 13-for-24 from 3-point range (54 percent) but only 11-for-48 (23 percent) inside it.

Wang Shipeng, whose 3-pointer at the buzzer against Slovenia sent China to the second round of the world championships four years ago, scored 20 points and Sun Yue added 17.

Down 56-40 with 4:36 left in the third quarter, China cut it to 60-56 on a 3-pointer by Liu Wei with 45 seconds left in the period. Arroyo knocked down two free throws, then nailed a jumper after a steal to make it an eight-point game, and Puerto Rico quickly pulled away again in the fourth.

The United States beat France 86-55 in the first game of the doubleheader.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2926 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
Lance Stephenson arrested in N.Y.

ESPN.com news services

Indiana Pacers rookie guard Lance Stephenson was arrested for pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs early Sunday morning in his native New York City, according to police.

Police say Stephenson was taken into custody Sunday following a 5 a.m. fight with the woman in Brooklyn.

The woman was treated at a hospital for injuries sustained in a fall down a flight of stairs.

The New York Daily News was the first to report the arrest.

The Pacers, who selected the 6-foot-5 guard out of Cincinnati in the second round of this year's draft, issued a statement Sunday night acknowledging Stephenson's arrest.

"We have been made aware of a situation involving Lance Stephenson early Sunday morning in Brooklyn," Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement. "We are currently in the process of gathering information and will have further comments as we learn more facts."

Stephenson, 19, has been charged with third-degree assault and is awaiting arraignment, according to the Daily News.

The Brooklyn native was drafted with the 40th overall pick by the Pacers after one year at Cincinnati where he averaged 12 points, five rebounds and two assists.

Stephenson has had prior run-ins with the law, most notably he was charged with sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl while in high school in 2008.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2928 on: August 16, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Jeff Green, JaVale McGee cut

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The United States has reduced its roster to 13 players, cutting Jeff Green of the Oklahoma City Thunder and JaVale McGee of the Washington Wizards.

USA Basketball made the moves before it beat France 86-55 in an exhibition game at Madison Square Garden. Cutting McGee leaves Tyson Chandler as the only true center on the American roster.

Neither Green nor McGee played in the U.S. scrimmage against China on Saturday. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo then informed them of the decision Sunday morning.

"They were gracious, they understood, they appreciated the opportunity, and I don't care how long you've been in the game, whenever you're telling a player on any level that they're not going to be with you -- I hate to use the word cut -- that's still tough, but they handled it very well," Colangelo said. "I told them in case something happens they may get a phone call."

Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski previously had said they might bring all 15 to Europe. Instead, the Americans will travel with 13 when they leave Monday. They must cut one more before the world championships start Aug. 28 in Turkey.

Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook and Minnesota forward Kevin Love played the fewest minutes Sunday, not entering until the fourth quarter. Love had missed a practice earlier this week with a calf injury.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2929 on: August 16, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
Udonis Haslem's passenger claimed pot

Associated Press

MIAMI -- A passenger in Udonis Haslem's vehicle told the Florida Highway Patrol that marijuana found after a weekend traffic stop on a South Florida highway was his. The Miami Heat forward's lawyer believes that should vindicate the NBA veteran.

Eric Schwartzreich, Haslem's attorney, said Monday that the State Attorney's Office is reviewing the arrest paperwork, a process that should be completed in the coming days.

Haslem was arrested Sunday afternoon and charged with possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana, a third-degree felony, along with four counts of possessing drug paraphernalia.

"He's a little rattled," Schwartzreich said. "He's upset. He doesn't know how he can be charged with this."

Haslem was freed from custody late Sunday night, about seven hours after a trooper pulled him over for driving 78 mph in a 60 mph zone on the Gratigny Parkway. Haslem's 2008 Mercedes sedan was searched multiple times, and marijuana was eventually found in a blue nylon bag that the Heat player's passenger, Antwain Fleming, said belonged to him.

Both were transported into police custody. Court records show Fleming faces a charge of possessing less than 20 grams of marijuana, a first-degree misdemeanor. It's unclear why Haslem could face the stiffer charge.

"We are confident Udonis Haslem will be vindicated," Schwartzreich said. "We have a situation where the passenger admits the marijuana was his and Mr. Haslem tells police nothing was in the vehicle.

"I think the police report speaks for itself," Schwartzreich added. "I am hopeful that Udonis Haslem will not be charged."

Haslem's car, worth more than $100,000, may face forfeiture, according to court records. The speeding ticket brings a $269 fine, and FHP spokesman Sgt. Mark Wysocky said Haslem was also cited for having illegal window tint.

The Heat have not commented on Haslem's arrest.

Haslem has spent all seven of his NBA seasons with the Heat, and the South Florida native signed a new five-year contract to stay with the team last month.

"He is our anchor, he is a true warrior and a great professional," Heat president Pat Riley said in July, after Haslem announced he would forgo higher-paying offers elsewhere to stay in Miami and continue playing alongside Dwyane Wade, plus team up with marquee acquisitions LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

During his NBA career, Haslem has averaged 10.0 points and 8.1 rebounds for Miami, helping the Heat win the 2006 NBA championship.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2930 on: August 17, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
Sources: Carmelo Anthony likely to go

By Ric Bucher
ESPN The Magazine

All signs continue to point toward the eventual divorce between Carmelo Anthony and the Denver Nuggets.

League sources say it is now a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will go their separate ways.

Anthony is weighing whether to sign a three-year, $65 million extension offered by the Nuggets. His dilemma, league sources say, is what affords him the best chance of continuing his career elsewhere. Anthony could sign with Denver and convince the team to then trade him. His other option would be to not sign the extension, thereby forcing the team to move him rather than risk losing him next summer as a free agent.

During his annual basketball camp in Colorado on Saturday, Anthony said he had no timetable on when he'll decide whether to sign the extension.

In either case, "he's going to make it real clear that he's not coming back," said one league source.

But both Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Anthony already are well aware that they don't have a future together, sources say. That became clear to Kroenke at a reception after Anthony's July 11 nuptials to La La Vasquez in Manhattan.

A series of toasts at the wedding reception, initiated by New Orleans Hornets guard Chris Paul, suggested Anthony leave Denver for the New York Knicks. Paul suggested it playfully, one source said, but subsequent guests -- including Knicks power forward Amare Stoudemire and Anthony's brother, Robert -- made the point more forcefully.

Then Kroenke stood up to give a toast and the room was filled with an awkward silence, one wedding guest said. Kroenke tried to make light of the situation by suggesting Paul could come to Denver but that elicited no response.

While Anthony stood and applauded Kroenke when he was recognized, he apparently did nothing to discourage or dismiss the suggestions that he should leave the Nuggets.

"There were other people saying, 'We're going to get you guys together,' but it doesn't become a runaway train if Melo says something," said one source. "Maybe he didn't perpetuate it, but tell people to stop or say, 'Stan, I'm sorry.' He didn't do any of that."

Paul has since met with Hornets management and appears less eager to leave New Orleans, but all the signals from Anthony are that he would like to be in a different uniform this season.

Wedding signals included.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose, could not be reached for comment and the Nuggets declined to comment.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2931 on: August 18, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »
All this talk of Shaq getting his number retired at Staples and why Dennis Rodman isn't in the HOF, I found this clip:

Awesome Rodman getting under the Knicks skin and Shaq totally ragdolling Chris Dudley haha at 3:49. And you can see a young Fisher, stickin up for his teammates only to get bowled over by Patrick Ewing XD

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2932 on: August 20, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »
Skittles honors Derrick Rose

By Roman Modrowski
ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- When Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose first told reporters of his love for candy, he probably didn't envision those words turning into a sizable, colorful, motion-activated piece of furniture in his home.

The folks at Skittles, however, made that a reality earlier in August by delivering a customized Skittles machine to Rose's home.

A Skittles spokesperson said the company has been sending the candy to Rose since his sweet tooth was exposed in several articles.

Rose is the first of a select group of celebrities who will receive a customized machine.

The machine, which includes "D. Rose" on the bottom, right corner, has a motion-activated sensor that plays a recorded message -- perhaps taped by Rose -- when someone walks past.

The spokesperson said there are no plans to have similar machines on sale or at the United Center.

Rose currently is with Team USA in Madrid, preparing for the World Championships in Turkey.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2933 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53:08 AM »
Tourney ends in bench-clearing brawl

Associated Press

ATHENS, Greece -- The Acropolis basketball tournament finished in a brawl when the last game between Serbia and Greece was abandoned Thursday in the closing minutes after a fight broke out and the benches cleared.

The chaos stunned a crowd of about 5,000 at the Athens Olympic Arena, as players from the two teams exchanged punches and kicks. A few spectators entered the fray and were quickly shoved out of the arena. Greece was leading 74-73 when the match was abandoned.

Both teams qualified for the world championships in Turkey beginning Aug. 28.

The trouble began when Greek forward Antonis Fotsis had moved threateningly toward Serb guard Milos Teodosic after a hard foul, and Nenad Krstic appeared to grab Fotsis by the throat.

Krstic then threw a chair at Greek center Sofoklis Schortsanitis, who was pursuing him, and it hit Greek center Yannis Bouroussis in the head. Blood trickled from his wound.

The players exited toward the locker rooms and fought in the tunnel leading from the arena before eventually being separated. The fighting happened about six minutes after Serb coach Dusan Ivkovic was ejected with two technical fouls for arguing heatedly with a referee.

Earlier Thursday, veteran guard Jaka Lakovic scored 19 points to lead Slovenia (1-2) to its first victory, 86-71 over Canada. Guard Jevohn Shepherd was Canada's top scorer with 13.

Slovenia's lead topped 20 points several times, and the Canadians -- surprise 62-58 winners over Serbia on Wednesday -- could close within only 13 in the final period
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2934 on: August 20, 2010, 03:54:28 AM »
Bucks sign Earl Boykins

Associated Press

Free agent point guard Earl Boykins has signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Agent Mark Termini said the 11-year veteran had offers from other teams but was comfortable with Milwaukee, one of nine teams the 5-foot-5 Boykins has played for previously. Boykins has averaged 9.3 points and 3.4 assists per game during his NBA career.

Last season, the 34-year-old fan favorite averaged 7.5 points and 2.9 assists in 42 games for the Washington Wizards.

Boykins will likely back up Brandon Jennings for the Bucks, who lost guard Luke Ridnour as a free agent to Minnesota this summer. Milwaukee also signed veteran Keyon Dooling.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2935 on: August 20, 2010, 03:55:43 AM »
Nets introduce Troy Murphy

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- When Troy Murphy was a kid growing up in Sparta, N.J., he was a die-hard fan of the New Jersey Nets.

Now he gets to play for them.

Murphy was traded the Nets last week as part of a four-team deal, and after nine years spent with the Golden State Warriors and Indiana Pacers, it appears that the 6-foot-11 forward will start this season for New Jersey.

"They were my team," Murphy said of growing up. "I used to love to watch Chris Morris launch those shots from out of bounds during warm-ups. I liked the team with Keith Van Horn and Jayson Williams. That team was on the rise and I really liked them. I always wanted to play."

Murphy has averaged 12.1 points and 8.6 rebounds per game over his career. His best season came in 2004-05 with the Warriors, when he averaged 15.4 points and 10.8 rebounds. Murphy also can make the 3-point shot, shooting almost 40 percent from long range for his career.

"It's really a dream come true for me," he said Thursday at the team's practice facility. "It's the team that I followed growing up. I never thought this was possible."

Murphy is in the final year of his contract and will make $11.9 million this season.

"At the end of the season, I thought I'd be moved," said Murphy, who averaged 14.6 points and 10.2 rebounds in 72 games for Indiana last season. "As the summer went on, I was expecting to go back to Indiana, but then this happened and I'm very excited about it."

Murphy has maintained his offseason home in New York, so he's thrilled to be back home.

General manager Billy King said the Nets were the ones who initiated the trade talks with Indiana to acquire Murphy. Indiana wanted a point guard in return, so he then got other teams involved to complete the deal.

"I'd like to say that we planned it that way, but I certainly can say I thought of it," said King, who was brought in last month to replace Rod Thorn as GM. "We were looking for a guy who could shoot the 3 and could rebound. The bonus is that he's from New Jersey. We were looking for a power forward and I thought the perfect fit was Troy. So I made the call."

The rest of the deal saw the Nets send shooting guard Courtney Lee to Houston, the Pacers getting point guard Darren Collison and swingman James Posey from New Orleans, and swingman Trevor Ariza going from Houston to New Orleans.

The Nets took on Murphy's salary and shipped Lee's $1.4 million salary to Houston.

"It really was a unique situation," King said. "I think everyone got what they wanted. If that happens, then it's a good trade."

Murphy said that he was looking forward to playing for new Nets coach Avery Johnson, who was Murphy's teammate when the two played in Golden State.

"When I was playing with Avery, I knew he would end up being a coach," said the 29-year-old Murphy. "He always had suggestions and sort of looked after me. I liked playing with him and I look forward to playing for him. I think I fit in well with this team. I'm happy to be here. The pieces are in place to have a significantly better season this year."

Murphy will also be asked to be a mentor to their first-round draft pick Derrick Favors.

"It doesn't bother me," Murphy said. "He's young and going to be a great player."

King said that he spoke to Murphy about his role with the team and that the expiring contract does not automatically mean Murphy will be a Net for only one season.

"We talked about the future," King said. "We don't look at this for just one year. At the end of this year, we'll sit down and discuss another contract. We don't look at him as a one-year guy."
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2936 on: August 20, 2010, 03:56:58 AM »
Jay Vincent indicted for Internet scam

Associated Press

DETROIT -- Ex-NBA player and Michigan State star Jay Vincent has been indicted for an Internet employment scam that bilked about 20,000 jobseekers out of about $2 million, the U.S. Attorney's office said Thursday.

The 51-year-old Vincent and 53-year-old Anthony Portee face charges of mail fraud, and Vincent is charged with an income tax violation, authorities said.

Both men live in Lansing.

Vincent earned an NCAA championship at Michigan State in 1979 on a team that included Magic Johnson. He played for the Spartans until 1981.

Dallas drafted him with the first pick of the second round in 1981. He averaged 21.4 points per game his rookie season and spent five seasons with the Mavericks.

He later played for Washington, Denver, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers, ending his NBA career with Philadelphia in 1990.

Vincent is "a legitimate businessman" and is cooperating with investigators, his lawyer, Charles Ford, told The Associated Press.

"A person is innocent until proven guilty," said Ford, a longtime friend of Vincent. "This man is iconic in this area. This is a person who has given a lot to the community."

A number listed for Portee was disconnected. His lawyer, Raymond Buffmyer, did not immediately return a message.

The charges cover a period from Jan. 1, 2006 to Aug. 25, 2009 and involves the defendants' business Foreclosure Bank Inspection Co.

Vincent and Portee concocted a scheme to defraud people seeking work through their Foreclosure Bank Inspection Co., according to the indictment.

The company claimed to test, certify and employ people to inspect bank foreclosed homes, and advertised that the company had contracts and received large checks from major banks to do the work. In reality, the copies of contracts and checks used in the ads were altered or counterfeit, the indictment said.

The company also did not hire contractors to perform inspections. What it did do was charge $149 to provide liability insurance for each job applicant and $89 for background checks, according to the indictment.

False insurance policies were prepared in the company's offices and no background checks were made, the indictment said. Tests, completed and returned by applicants, were stored in boxes without reviews.

In the income tax charge, Vincent is accused of reporting a business income of $62,438 on his 2008 tax return. Authorities said the actual amount he earned was $330,269.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2937 on: August 20, 2010, 03:58:03 AM »
Crime lab errs in James Jordan case

Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The man convicted of killing Michael Jordan's father went to prison in part thanks to testimony that he pointed a gun through a car window and fired the fatal shot from just inches away.

Given the gruesome portrayal, Daniel Andre Green's defense attorneys repeatedly questioned why so little -- if any -- blood was actually found in that vehicle, and one of the lawyers once laughed in court when downplaying the physical evidence. Their arguments could be bolstered by an independent report this week that concluded the state's crime lab mishandled his case and nearly 200 others over a 16-year period ending in 2003.

"It looks like it's going to be something pretty significant," Green's current attorney, Scott Holmes, said of the report released Wednesday.

The outside inquest has led state prosecutors to request a more detailed review of all the investigations, and even lawyers in cases unrelated to the audit hope the lab's mistakes could help them win new trials.

James Jordan's 1993 murder offers a glimpse into how the State Bureau of Investigation's errors could threaten years-old convictions. An SBI expert testified at trial that she found a small amount of blood in the passenger seat of Jordan's car. But according to this week's review, the SBI found only "indications" blood was present in an initial test, and four follow-up tests were inconclusive.

Green's trial lawyers admitted that he helped dispose of Jordan's body and drove Jordan's car, but the lawyers denied that Green killed him and tried to cast doubt on key testimony by his co-defendant.

Angus Thompson, one of Green's trial attorneys, said he was reviewing the details of the case but didn't think the SBI ever disclosed the inconclusive follow-up tests.

"The fact that were four other tests done is critical," Thompson said. "It should have been disclosed. It certainly is exculpatory evidence."

The outside review found scores of similar flaws. It said SBI blood analysts omitted, overstated or falsely reported blood evidence in 190 criminal cases and that information that could have helped defendants was sometimes misrepresented or withheld.

An assistant for Michael Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, didn't respond to calls seeking comment Thursday. Two months after James Jordan's body was found, the emotionally drained star walked away from basketball at the peak of his career to play minor league baseball -- his father's first love -- for two seasons before returning to the NBA.

In a 1996 trial that captured the country's attention, Green's lawyers questioned why there was so little blood evidence when co-defendant Larry Demery had said James Jordan was shot at near point blank range in the vehicle where he had been sleeping. They theorized that Demery was actually the killer.

Past attorneys for Green, who changed his name to Lord D.A.A.S. U'Allah, have also noted there was no conclusive match between what authorities said was the murder weapon and a bullet in James Jordan's body, nor was there gunshot residue in the car.

Holmes, Green's current lawyer, said he is already working on an appeal unrelated to the blood evidence, but would look closely at the SBI report. He declined to discuss further details.

Prosecutors have said that Jordan was shot and killed in July 1993 after a nap in his Lexus, which he had parked at a North Carolina interstate rest stop while driving home from a funeral. His body was found a couple of weeks later in a South Carolina swamp.

Johnson Britt, who prosecuted the case in Lumberton and still serves as district attorney, said he's confident Green's murder conviction would stand if challenged. He pointed to the fact that Green used Jordan's car and cell phone, and that the weapon authorities say killed Jordan was found in his home.

"There was a lot of evidence that linked him to the commission of that crime," Britt said. He believes Green pulled the trigger.

Jurors were also shown a video of Green dancing while wearing a watch and two NBA rings the basketball star gave his father.

But Green's lawyers argued at the time that he had nothing to do with the killing and that Demery, who testified against Green, was coerced into pleading guilty to murder to save himself. The defense called four witnesses who testified that Green was with them watching television at the hour Jordan was killed.

The case that prompted the SBI lab review also hinged on blood evidence from a car, and it ended in the exoneration of a man who spent 16 years in custody for a murder he didn't commit. At Greg Taylor's innocence hearing this year, attorneys proved there was no blood on his SUV despite a previous SBI report indicating there was. An SBI agent testified this year that the agency had a policy of writing on lab reports that a test showed "chemical indications for the presence of blood" even when a follow-up test didn't confirm that result.

The outside report by two former federal law enforcement officials does not conclude that any innocent people were convicted, and in some cases there was additional evidence or admissions of guilt. But based on the report, Attorney General Roy Cooper has ordered prosecutors and defense lawyers to check whether tainted lab reports helped lead to confessions or pleas.

Lawyers for inmates on death row, including some not included in the audit, are already meeting or planning to meet with their clients, said Gerda Stein, spokeswoman for the Center on Death Penalty Litigation.

"We need to reinvestigate the case of every single person on death row," she said.

Attorney David Rudolf, who represented author Mike Peterson in a high-profile murder case, said he would review testimony given in that trial by the SBI agent involved in five cases the report characterizes as the most egregious violations.

Peterson's case was not flagged in the SBI report this week, but Rudolf said the review only begins to expose how agents can stretch or hide the truth.

"That's the tip of the iceberg," Rudolf said. "If they're willing to hide the truth in one circumstance, how can you not assume that they were not willing to do it in a much easier circumstance to do it?"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2938 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59:12 AM »
Stephen Curry listed as day to day

Associated Press

MADRID -- Stephen Curry is eager to overcome an ankle injury, hopeful it won't impact his chances of making the U.S. roster for the world championship.

Curry didn't practice Thursday after suffering a mild sprain to his left ankle a day earlier. The U.S. team said Curry's recovery was "progressing" but he remained day to day.

With one player still to be cut from the 13-man squad -- and most likely a guard -- Curry looked slightly anxious after watching his teammates practice.

"It hurts. To miss a great practice like this with the scrimmaging and all -- it's never great to have an injury, especially in a pressure situation like this," Curry said at the Magic Box center on the outskirts of the Spanish capital. "I just have to make sure I get back this weekend."

The U.S. plays Lithuania on Saturday and defending world champion Spain on Sunday as part of it's warm-up for the Aug. 28- Sept. 12 tournament in Turkey.

Curry was on the court shooting free throws and 3-pointers while the team stretched out after playing a scrimmage. Curry wore flip-flops with a lone bandage over his ankle. He said he was already feeling better.

"The way it felt yesterday compared to today, I know I'm doing good," said the 22-year-old Golden State player.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski said he would cut one player after the team's final exhibition match against Greece next week.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2939 on: August 20, 2010, 04:00:16 AM »
Coach hopes Carmelo Anthony stays

ESPN.com news services

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl is hoping that all the talk about Carmelo Anthony being traded is just that.

Karl said he has not been told if the Nuggets will or won't deal Anthony, The Denver Post reported. Anthony still has a three-year, $65 million extension offer on the table, but has yet to sign it amid growing speculation that he wants out.

The Nuggets have held internal discussions about trading Anthony rather than letting him walk away as a free agent, but have not made a decision either way or talked to potential trade partners, two league sources said, according to the report. League sources have told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it's now a matter of when, not if, Anthony and the Nuggets will part.

Karl said the NBA offseason often spawns what he calls "summer talk" -- and he's hoping that's all the speculation about Anthony turns out to be, according to the report.

"A lot of the summer talk never comes true. That's what I'm hoping is going to be the case with Melo," Karl said.

During his annual basketball camp in Colorado last week, Anthony said he had no timetable on when he'll decide whether to sign the extension. But a league source told Bucher that "[Anthony's] going to make it real clear that he's not coming back."

Like Anthony and several other Nuggets players, Karl is in the final year of his contract.

"The one thing I think there's a danger for everybody is that there are a lot of people on a one-year rope," Karl said, according to the report. "And I think that's somewhat dangerous; there's a lot of junk that goes with one-year ropes."

Karl, who plans to return to the bench this season after missing the end of last season to fight throat and neck cancer, is facing uncertainty in other areas.

The team is still searching for a new general manager after declining to extend the contracts of team executives Rex Chapman and Mark Warkentien. There are also questions about when Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen will return from knee surgeries.

The Post reported that according to a team source, Martin and Andersen could miss "significant time" at the start of the season. And Martin said "I'm probably going to miss some of the season," according to the report.

Martin, who is also in the last year of his contract, said he understands Anthony's situation, according to the report.

"I've been there. I turned down $66 million in New Jersey and everybody thought I was crazy," Martin said, according to the report. "My thing is, everybody is rushing this man to sign the extension. Why are they rushing him? He has until July to sign the thing, so why rush? The money will still be on the table."

Karl said he is still undergoing medical tests that he needs to pass, the Post reported.

"But everything is looking good, and if I were a betting man, I would be betting that I'm coaching next season," he said, according to the report.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Kodoku no Kakera