JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ai Shinozaki - OMOIDE NO TAMEIKI

Author Topic: Vanikoro {Chapter 3: Into the Jungle}  (Read 5740 times)

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Vanikoro {Chapter 3: Into the Jungle}
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:02 PM »
So this idea has been a long time percolating in my brain, and has gone through many developments since it began with a dream... This intro is a bit of a teaser, but I felt it was the proper way to begin XD. This'll perhaps be a little different type of thing (don't I say that all the time?), and I've discussed it with some people already. I really push the dramatic, don't I? >.> Good luck as you read...

Vanikoro

In a primitive land an ancient people hid earth-shattering secrets more ancient still.

Yet even those secrets became forgotten as foreign pressure caused precious heritage to vanish.

In the Second World War, many small islands in the deep Pacific were touched by those who fought for the future of the planet, from Iwo Jima and its neighbors to the paradise of Fiji to Hawai’i, where the violence began.

Many of these islands, borne either of eccentricities of the life-giving coral reefs, or of the fire and lava of their volcanic cores, were so isolated and remote that before the War, they were largely untouched.

On one such island, tropical rain forests spreading and shrouding much of the geography formed by its volcanic caldera, natives have been losing much of their rich cultural heritage to foreign influence begun by a legendary shipwreck centuries past, and expanded by the use of its shores as a base for aircraft in the War effort.

The ancient people now gather about those shores themselves, imports from abroad causing constantly lessening need for the sustenance the deep forest provides in the midst of its native danger.

They gather, and they forget.

They forget their traditions, they forget their languages, they forget their long-held secrets.

As they forget, “local” yet still-foreign governments divide up their forgotten land.

Soon there will be a modern airstrip to support the population.

Soon new settlers, drawn by the development and wealthy enough to leave it all behind, will be brought to this lost paradise.

Yet there is always a first.

One adventurous young woman will bring a small cadre of like-minded, yet perhaps not as strong-willed companions to explore the paradise of a land just purchased from the local government, “owned” for the first time in its history spanning millenia.

The first of many to bring a new culture as ancient cultures fade.

The first to rediscover terrible secrets now otherwise long-forgotten

On the island of Vanikoro

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:06:50 AM by rokun »

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: VANIKORO
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
i hear distant drumming as i read this. i don't know why.

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
Re: VANIKORO
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
*pokes your eyes 50 times* Too short! How the hell can I comment this?! XD Other than that, I want to see the next part, so I really know what this fic is about. Nice little intro though. ^_^
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:32:30 AM by writerjunkie »

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: VANIKORO {Chapter 1: Departure}
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:42:40 AM »
All right, I didn't want to make you wait too long. XD Here's the beginning! This is so concise for me...

Chapter 1: Departure

“Ai-chan, are you sure there’s no way I can go with you? It’s only for a couple of weeks… I’m sure my professors wouldn’t even miss me!”

Ai Takahashi absently patted the head of her younger step-sister as she scrutinized the gear she’d gathered for her upcoming trip. It was so exciting that the day was finally here, even though they’d still be traveling for nearly two days until they reached their destination.

“Eririn, how many times have we been through this? You need to work hard in your studies so you can graduate and join the Company. Or have you decided to give up and become a menial worker like your mother has warned you against time and time again, and from her own experience?”

“She’s your mother too now, you know,” Eri Kamei grumbled, doing her best to give a last, resigned pout. “No matter how old you are.”

Ai finally glanced down at the girl with a smile. “You make me sound like an old maid.”

“That’s what you’ll become if you keep up this interest in arthro, anturo…”

“Anthropology,” Ai corrected with a grimace. “And I haven’t been that serious about it yet. It’s just something that intrigued me when this opportunity came up.” Her eyes lit up as she spoke now to her sister. “Just imagine! So few people have ever visited this place, and now I own a piece of it! Just a few hundred locals developed languages and cultures that no one else in the world could fully understand…”

“Sounds like you’re just a big geek to me,” Eri mumbled, continuing to pout, and Ai rapped her sharply on the head. “Oww…” she replied. “Child abuser!”

“You’re hardly a child,” Ai replied, rolling her eyes. “Should I mention what I heard from your bedroom last night?”

Eri blushed furiously. “Y-you… you heard that!?” Ai just grinned. “But we were just… we were just… playing a game! Yeah. We were playing a game. She’s really competitive, y’know… at least when it doesn’t involve anything physical. Or…” Suddenly seeming to realize what she’d just said, she blushed deeper.

“Nothing physical, huh?” Ai replied, still grinning from ear to ear. “I bet. It’s okay,” she continued, patting the girl’s shoulder. “It’s understandable you want to make your last night together for a while special. She might never come back after all… Might even be eaten by cannibals!”

Eri’s eyes shot wide. “Don’t say that!” she squeaked. “You said there weren’t any there anymore!!” When Ai’s grin broke into helpless giggling, Eri swatted at her arm. “That’s not funny!” she pouted again.

Next thing they knew the front door swung open hard, and three girls stumbled in, weighed down by overstuffed luggage bags both in their hands and on their backs.

“I told you we should have taken Ai up on her offer of servants to help with these!” one of them quipped in a fiery voice. “I’m gonna break my back before we even get to the jungle!”

“It’s not a jungle Reina, it’s a rain forest,” corrected the girl that followed behind her, the youngest of the group yet with an air of the wisest. Or at least, perhaps the most sensible.

“Same damn thing!” Reina Tanaka replied, earning a cluck from the older girl in front of her.

“And you wonder why Ai-chan doesn’t invite you to all of her social events,” Risa Niigaki scolded her. Seeing the girl brought a smile to Ai’s face. Eririn wasn’t the only one to have taken advantage of their dwindling time among civilization last night, although what she did wasn’t quite as… crude… as what she tried not to imagine Eri getting up to with the last member of their little troupe who was still until the last minute fixing herself up in the bathroom. Ai told her it was pointless before what was going to be many, many hours traveling by plane, but she would have none of it.

“But I have to look cute for the other passengers!!” the girl had said, astounded that Ai could imagine anything otherwise. It hadn’t helped that Eri stood puppy-like at her side, constantly gazing lovingly up at her.

The girl, one Sayumi Michishige, had stayed here with Eri overnight as she’d brought her things over the day before. Risa on the other hand had gone home after staying up late with Ai, mumbling something about having to reassure her parents once again that she’d be quite safe on this trip with her “friend with ideas that were just too uncouth and dangerous.” Whether to herself or to those she would be around, Ai was never sure.

“You look like a kid in a candy store, Ai-chan,” said Gaki-san commented with a warm smile. Ai exchanged the look just as warmly. Friends they might have been, but recently the thought had somehow come to them of being more. Unlike Eri, as the heir to the Company Ai had a certain reputation to uphold, so she couldn’t be as flagrant with her interests. Thus, whatever seemed to have begun developing between them had done so only slowly until this point.

Last night was even the first time they’d kissed… It was weird, because they had just been talking about the upcoming trip. Knowing it was only a day away, Ai was about as excited as she ever remembered being. If Gaki-san hadn’t misinterpreted that excitement and made the first move…

“Oh man,” Reina said as she dropped her bags to the floor. “She’s off to her own little world again.” Then she waved a hand in front of Ai’s face, bringing her out of her daydream. “We’re not on some crappy little island yet!” she scolded her, and Ai stared back into skeptical features.

“I don’t even know why on earth you want to come along,” a girl said from behind them, coming out from the north wing hall to join them. Eri squeaked at the girl’s entrance and ran to hug her arm tightly to her chest. Sayu glared from behind long lashes in reprimand at the irascible yankii. “You’ve done nothing but complain about the place ever since Ai-chan told us about it!”

“Hey,” the girl grinned toothily in return, “Spending a few weeks in some lost jungle will give me more street cred. Gotta have it to survive these days, y’know.” Sayu shivered, tucking the lace of her white gloves into the sleeve of her blouse. “And lookit’ you.” She gave a mock bow. “Do you even know what we’re going to? Like a princess to her domain. Won’t be much lace and velvet deep in those woods. Just mud.”

“For the last time, it’s a tropical rain forest!!” the youngest cried out again, frustration with her yankii friend painted on her face. “No one will ever join the cause of protecting them if we keep assigning them such mundane names as ‘woods’, or negative words like ‘jungle’ where people are only going to imagine apes and tigers trying to eat them up!”

Aika Mitsui, who was just about to graduate high school, had jumped onto news of Ai’s purchase like said apes to a banana. Following in the footsteps of her father, a renowned philanthropist who was the largest single Japanese donor to Greenpeace, if there was an environmental or humanitarian cause to be pursued, she’d be the first to sign up. In high school she was president of the Conservation Club all three years, and even student council president for her last!

“Can I kill her?” Reina asked, looking around her. “Can I?” Then she subtly thrust her elbow back toward Aika’s gut, but the girl seemed to know what was coming and grabbed her arm, spinning the girl to face her with an “Are you serious?” look on her face. Reina just kept toothily grinning back.

Ai shook her head. She couldn’t imagine how the two of them managed to be such good friends. Then again, Aika could probably give Reina a good run in the “street cred” department… at least much more than the other girls. She just focused her energies in a very different way.

However, Ai was also preoccupied at the moment. Her eyes drifted to the grandfather clock standing statuesque in the foyer, and the chatter of the other girls faded for a moment to a drone in her ear.

“I’m glad you’re all here now,” she said, and the voices died down to listen. “Just in time. We’d better head out if we’re going to make the flight to Guam.”

“Guam… Guadalcanal…” Gaki-san said, shaking her head in amazement. “How many resort islands are we going to catch in one trip?”

“Hey,” Reina interjected, fixing her with a  wonky eye. “They were major military islands before they were ever resorts. That’s the really cool part of it!”

“You guys do realize,” Ai said, a light grin on her face, “I now own one of those ‘resort islands’, and you’re going to be welcome there whenever you’d like, especially once the government builds that airstrip. We’ll have the Company start offering direct flights from Haneda even! Well, almost direct. They’d probably have to stop in Guam to refuel...”

“You own part of that island,” Gaki-san said with a friendly smirk. “And besides, I’d hardly call it a resort. It’s more like… Pirates of the Caribbean.”

“Ooh, how romantic!” Sayu interjected, hearts sparkling from her eyes as she clasped her white-gloved hands in front of her face as if picturing her fantasy of a dashing pirate whisking her off to a city of gold and jewels.

Ai though caught Eri’s eyes, which were wide as saucers in pleading. “You will take care of her… won’t you?” her sister had asked that morning after finding Ai in her private chambers as she was directing her maids in packing. “You know her. She doesn’t know what she’s getting into… I hate her dad for that as much as for taking her away from me.”

“Of course I will,”
Ai had replied, patting the girl’s hand on her shoulder. “Don’t you worry about a thing. Enjoy your morning together, and just look forward to the day when you’ll have each other once again!”

The girl had been so desperate, and as Ai watched Sayu continue gazing into her fantasy, she couldn’t help but agree with her. She knew she wasn’t necessarily the best at taking care of people, but with all five of them going knew they’d manage. She beamed around at the girls gathering their stuff again, this time with valets to help. They might be young, but each was very capable in her way. She couldn’t ask for a better crew for this voyage into the unknown.

Patting Eri’s head again to reassure her, and smiling as she turned away when the two lovers embraced, she headed out the door to the Humvee limo parked and running in the circular drive in front of the Takahashi mansion. The driver stood outside, overseeing the valets as they loaded the back. Taking a deep breath she turned to survey the house she was just about to leave behind for something much wilder.

By this time the other girls had begun to follow her, Reina and Aika walking together, and Gaki-san taking the lead a few steps ahead. It almost looked like Eri wasn’t going to let go of her girlfriend, but eventually Sayu parted with tears in her eyes as well and waved a white-gloved hand as she strode to join the others.

“Let’s have an adventure, Ai-chan!” Gaki-san said with a smile as she reached her, touching her arm lightly. Ai knew the girl didn’t have much reason to come except to be with her, and yet she truly appeared just as excited as she was. She had a feeling this would be a life-changing opportunity for the two of them considering the amount of time they’d have together in virtual complete privacy.

“What’s the name of this stupid island you bought again?” Reina asked as she joined the two of them near the vehicle. “Voodoo?”

“Vanikoro,” Aika corrected again, sounding perfectly exasperated as she pushed the older girl ahead of her and into the car when one of the valets rushed to open the door for them. “I swear… People have no respect for indigenous peoples these days!”

“Indigestible people?” Reina asked, but Ai noticed the hint of a smirk at the corner of her mouth. “I tell you, we’re gonna find cannibals there yet…”

Any other gems from their conversation died away after being muffled by entering the car, and Ai glanced to Gaki-san to see her roll her eyes. Ai couldn’t help but giggle at her friend’s attitude. Looking again back at the house, her heart felt almost as if it would burst from the excitement now flooding her. It was time! All they had to do now was get in the car, and they’d be on their way.

Ai hadn’t always had such an adventurous spirit, and now she was finally able to do something like this, she realized the thrill that had been missing from her upbringing among Tokyo’s elite.

“Well we might as well get this over with, ne?” Sayu said, swaying up beside them in her form-fitting silk dress.

“You do know you’re going to have to wear something a bit more, er… rugged when we reach the islands, right?” Gaki-san asked her uncertainly.

“Of course,” Sayu replied, her lips turning up in a pout. Sometimes, when she wasn’t being a spoiled princess, Ai could definitely see what her sister saw in the girl. She truly was one of the prettiest she’d ever met. “I’m not an idiot, after all. Do you think Daddy would have allowed me to come if he didn’t think I could take care of myself?”

“Um…” Gaki-san managed, “Ok. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t pack only lacy dresses.”

“Hmph!” Sayu huffed in response, raising her chin, and swayed over to where the valets almost stumbled over themselves to help her into the car. Ai blinked. Where had they all come from? Some of the bags still lay scattered toward the back.

“She even manages to look cute with snob mode on…” Gaki-san said, mouth open as she shook her head while staring after the girl.

Ai poked her in the arm, grinning. “Should I be worried? It’s a long trip after all, and we’ll each have the opportunity at one time or another to be very private and secluded…”

The other girl grinned back. “I could ask you the same,” she teased in return, and took Ai’s arm. “Shall we, m’lady?” And she gestured an arm toward the doors still held open for them, the valets glancing nervously in her direction. The girl even bowed her ahead.

“How dashing,” Ai smirked, before taking a last look back.

Will it ever look the same again? she wondered idly. She'd been many places in her young, privileged life, but this was definitely going to be the one to top them all.

Soon, after what seemed no time at all, from within the midst of her chattering friends she stared wistfully back through tinted windows at the closing gates behind them. 

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: Vanikoro {Chapter 1}
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:08:04 AM »
~Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage!~

That song played in my head as I was reading your fic.

So Eri doesn't get to go on the fantastic voyage? :( Well, relating this fic to r-l, I can see why; Eri isn't in MM anymore. :lol:  :cry:
Does that mean we'll see 9th gen join the journey?
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:14:30 AM »
Ah, so you finally wrote it! :D Not sure what to comment since I'm one of the people you've been talking about this to, so all I can say is...keep writing! :lol:

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
Okay, first of all, you writing a new story? Yup, got my attention. Then you add in some Takagaki? I about glued myself to the monitor. :lol: Although, I do have a bad feeling about where that might be heading, since I'm too used to RenAi from you, oh, also the last Takagaki you did, Gaki was dead.  :P

So, the girls are a bunch of rich kids going on a safari. Yeah, I'm imagining apes and tigers, too. XD Somehow, I think it will be worse than that, though.

“You’re hardly a child,” Ai replied, rolling her eyes. “Should I mention what I heard from your bedroom last night?”
When I read this, I seriously went "Hee hee hee." :lol: I knew it was going to be Kameshige, for some reason, no other pairing seemed to fit. Or maybe because I could see Sayu totally having her way with Eri the night before a big trip. XD

“Oh man,” Reina said as she dropped her bags to the floor. “She’s off to her own little world again.” Then she waved a hand in front of Ai’s face, bringing her out of her daydream.
I also find this incredibly cute. Takagaki is almost innocent here, though hopefully not for long. Also, hopefully, one of them doesn't get eaten by monsters.

She couldn’t imagine how the two of them managed to be such good friends. Then again, Aika could probably give Reina a good run in the “street cred” department… at least much more than the other girls.
Yankii and rich yankii? :lol: I foresee lots of banter between them, especially since I'm pretty sure Reina is provoking Aika.

I can't wait for more here. Keep it up!

Offline eruchan

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:42 AM »
the story sounds interesting
rainforest? indigenous people? i think it's a good thing Ai wont let Eri tag along  XD
though i wonder how Sayu is going to survive there  :lol:

Offline oddball

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Off in the woods........
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
hmm, definatly an intesting start Rokun, Intrested to see what will happen, perhaps this island wont be as unihabited as first aticipated?.....

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: VANIKORO {Chapter 1: Departure}
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
This reminded me of tomb raider, I dunno why. Are we going to get to see the girls in explorer wear with pith hats?  :w00t: Toting shotguns and packing double desert eagles?  :lol:

“For the last time, it’s a tropical rain forest!!” the youngest cried out again, frustration with her yankii friend painted on her face. “No one will ever join the cause of protecting them if we keep assigning them such mundane names as ‘woods’, or negative words like ‘jungle’ where people are only going to imagine apes and tigers trying to eat them up!”

Since I live in a country with the oldest tropical rainforest, I can tell you with confidence that apes and tigers will eat your face. There are killer plants in there, I swear. A nicer sounding name will not change that fact.  :lol:

I'm so excited about this story- can't wait to read more!

Offline aya-chii

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »
i wonder why eri was left

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Vanikoro {Chapter 2}
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:13:31 AM »
How long has it been since I updated a story? :lol: And amazingly, this is the one I update!!! Well, there are definite reasons for that, as there are a lot of things I enjoy about it :) Also, though it's been quite a while, since I've only completed one chapter it should be easy to refresh your memories of, right? :D Oh, and for those worried about Eri, don't worry too much. ;) Shall I carry on then?

Chapter 2: Arrival

“Are we there yet?”

Ai blinked groggily, looking out at the sun setting toward the horizon far to the west. There was really nothing like a sunrise or sunset over the wide ocean. It made her feel like they were the only ones in the whole world, and able to believe that everything was open to her. Which in reality, everything was, even though she hadn’t traveled too much in her short life so far.

Oh there were trips to Shanghai with her father on business, and trips to Hong Kong, and Dubai, and New York. Still, even when she visited there she didn’t feel like she’d been anywhere. She saw the palm islands and Statue of Liberty out of the plane window, but when they reached the airport it was all escorts and social obligations and posh hotels with fancy lounges where she could hear some of the classiest bands play and sing, and she would watch dreamily as she imagined herself in their place…

But it had been just an illusion. Just as quickly she was ushered back onto a plane to once more catch the sights from a tiny porthole, one of them being the endless ocean, on her way back to her prison in Tokyo.

It had been until today.

Every once in a while as she’d stare out into the vast blue that now darkened under the twilight, she’d catch a glimmer and a disruption to the seeming calmness, a glimmer which she knew was one of the countless islands and atolls spread out in this vast watery wilderness. Before it darkened, she had traced the paling of the waters that signified shallow coral deposits in the unimaginably immense reefs hidden just below the surface.

It felt incredible. It felt like she had actually arrived in a new world. And although she was on yet another of those mundane aircraft she’d become so used to, she knew it wouldn’t be long before the world she knew would leave her far, far behind.

Then again, this specific plane was not exactly the luxury she was used to either.

There were only ten seats – one near each window with an aisle running between only going back five deep. The five girls took the first three rows, along with a steward that assisted them with anything they needed. Ai knew the man’s real job was to watch over them, as he had been sent by her over-cautious father, and after denying that any such thing was the case, he had finally agreed to fly back to Guadalcanal with the pilots once they’d been dropped off at Santa Cruz airport. There’d hardly be room for him in the helicopter that would take them the rest of the way, and they would have a guide as well as a cheap native serving staff once they arrived in Vanikoro’s caldera.

There would also need to be room for their luggage, a problem that she smugly learned her father had not factored in. At the moment it easily took up the back two rows and the rear compartments of the plane. Off to the jungle or not, these were not girls wont to travel lightly.

“Are we there yet?” Sayu asked again, and Ai sighed before glancing automatically at Reina, who at least at the moment did not have the bag to her mouth in her sickness. They’d been through about three of those bags over the course of the flight so far. She knew the girl could get motion sickness, but had never seen anything like this before in her life.

“Maybe I should have taken you on more of our charter flights over the years,” Ai commented as she gazed quietly back at the girl, whose eyes rose to hers in a glare that bounced completely off of her skin. Sayu pouted and crossed her arms at being ignored again – at least she’d gotten rid of those dreadful gloves not long before the end of the last flight – and Ai glanced at her askance.

“We’ll be there when we’re there,” she replied stolidly, but trailed off as the plane suddenly lurched and she felt the beginnings of loss of altitude.

Reina quickly dug the bag back out and turned toward the aisle to lean over it, but Ai glanced out the window to see a group of islands now in view before them. One was much larger than the others, but another fractured island loomed behind the mist. In fact, mist shrouded the center where the mountains at the edge of the caldera rose high.

There it was. Her prize. It felt so close, yet was still so far away for the moment.

“Yay!” Sayu cried, and began to clap, while Aika helped Reina, who looked like she was actually not going to be sick again.

“I think there’s nothing left in there,” the youngest girl commented blankly up to Ai, who almost let out a giggle. Reina did not appear amused.

“Are you getting excited?” Risa asked, and Ai glanced across from her to see the girl smiling back. She seemed genuinely happy to see Ai realizing her dream, even if it had been a very costly dream indeed.

“There’s still a long way to go yet,” Ai replied, attempting to compose herself. It was true, and she had to do her best not to get carried away with the first sight of her treasure. However, as the view wobbled in the plane’s decent, she had an extremely hard time keeping her eyes off it.

After landing at the strip of pavement that she thought could hardly be called an airport – the other girls appearing to agree with their skeptical glances around them at the workers in Hawaiian-style shirts and shorts – they were shown off the runway to a large helicopter that had apparently already been warmed up, and its rotors hummed as they chopped at the air.

“It’s so noisy!” Sayu exclaimed, her gloves now back on as she covered her ears.

“Oh no…” Reina said, gazing at the very unsteady-looking vehicle in despair as Aika patted her arm.

“Just a few minutes till sunset now,” Risa said, blinking toward the last glow above the horizon, the sun having dipped beneath it as they landed. “Are you sure you don’t want to wait until morning to—”

“No,” Ai said brusquely, and then touched the girl’s hand in apology. “We’ve no lodging set up for the night here,” she said, glancing around skeptically at the low buildings around them and what appeared to be no more than huts spread over the hills beyond. “Mako-chan said we’d have the most comfortable beds in the most relaxing setting imaginable when we arrived, and I’ve been looking forward to that for the past two days.”

It was true – the flight to Guam had taken until late in the previous evening, and they’d hurried from the hotel after a short night’s sleep early the next morning to catch the one to Guadalcanal before a short layover until their charter flight here. Reina sighed as she looked longingly into Ai’s face after her comment. They were all looking forward to that comfort.

“If you say so…” Risa frowned skeptically back at her, and stepped up to board the helicopter.

An hour later, when they had grown numb to the sound of their transport to the point Aika and Sayu had even seemed to doze off, Ai caught sight of a change in the black seascape surrounding them.

The pitch black entry was far from the grand arrival she had envisioned: the helicopter soaring through the mist as the lushness of the island’s forests opened up to her beneath the sun glaring off the surrounding ocean. She also hadn’t counted on the discomfort, as she tried stretching yet again to work out plaintive muscles she’d held inactive for the larger portion of the past forty-eight hours.

No matter how high the excitement, travel was never what it was cracked up to be. She should have known this would be no different.

Nothing changed in her vision as she felt the helicopter descend, but she noticed pinpricks of light that resolved astonishingly quickly into the flames of torches, a large circle of which they were approaching the center of.

“Aika, Sayu, wake up!” she said, reaching over to nudge two of the girls sitting across from her. “We’re here!”

“No reason to wake up yet,” Reina mumbled, a bag still near her face. As expected, this helicopter ride was certainly not kind to her. Well, it would be quite a while now before she had to deal with it again. “There’s nothing to see. It’s all black.”

Ai looked back and forth, trying to make something out aside from what was just around the torches. The girl was right. There was certainly no spot of flat enough land on her part of the island except on the beaches, and she knew the shore must be very close by, but she couldn’t tell the difference now since it all looked black.

Finally the torches surrounded them, and with a definite bump, they were once again on firm land. Her land. Vanikoro.

Hardly waiting for the helicopter to wind down, Ai pushed through the others, Aika and Sayu bleary-eyed in waking, and wrestled with the door before pulling it open. Then she almost flew out, her shoes sinking pleasantly into the sand. Laughing, she kicked up her legs and hurriedly pulled off her shoes to run barefoot toward the torches which were still flickering wildly in the cyclone from the rotors.

The late evening air was still warm and humid, and it would have felt perfectly pleasant if Ai hadn’t already been sticky from the travel. She’d have to shower soon, but right now she just enjoyed the otherwise completely fresh-smelling air. She couldn’t describe how much fresher it was than anything she’d experienced in Japan.

When she was halfway to the torches, she saw a group of people off to the right, and in the middle what appeared to be a familiar figure in the flickering flames. Eyes widening, she started toward them, feeling less of a breeze from behind now the helicopter was almost wound down.

“Mako-chan!” she gasped when she got there, and she hugged the girl before stepping back and taking a look at her amid the natives. The natives didn’t quite look how she expected, with most in jeans and polos that wouldn’t be out of place for someone walking through the middle of Tokyo.

“How was your flight?” the girl asked, smiling widely at her. “Or flights, I should say.” Ai saw her eyes lift to glance curiously above her shoulder.

“Exhausting!” Ai said. “It’ll certainly be wonderful to have a full night’s rest tonight. But forget about that. What are you doing here!?”

“Well I couldn’t just plan everything and let you have all the fun, now could I?” the girl smirked back. Her gaze was steady over Ai’s shoulder now, causing her to turn around and catch sight of the four girls wobbling out of the helicopter. With the engines off and the rotors stopped, normal hearing was finally returned to her. She thought she could hear the soft sound of waves at the shore a little ways to the right.

“Your father and I had a feeling you might ‘lose’ Takahiro-san along the way, so I suggested I come to help you all get settled in. After all, he doesn’t want so many precious diamonds roughed up more than need be.” Her tone was definitively sarcastic now.

“Oh Mako-chan,” Ai sighed, smiling, “Papa needs to learn to keep his nose out of other peoples’ business sometimes.”

“You are his business, remember,” the girl, replied, smirking, as the others finally stumbled up behind Ai.

“Welcome to Vanikoro, Island of Dreams!” Mako announced to them all with a flourish.

Generally blank and sullen faces stared back at her, though Gaki-san curiously studied the other three before the corner of her lip twitched. Reina’s still had a decidedly green tinge to it, and Sayu’s hair was disheveled for once, this time without her actually seeming to care. Her gloves had disappeared long ago. Aika, her hair short and scruffy and with her t-shirt and shorts, looked like she might be twelve or thirteen rather than just the youngest one there.

“If one of you doesn’t show me to a bed soon, someone’s gonna get punched in the face,” Reina mumbled, just loud enough to be heard.

Still smiling, Mako-chan glanced back and one of the natives stepped forward. “Hello,” he said, beaming at them. “I am Tu’ala’athein Jones,” he continued in blocky Japanese. “I will be guide, if beautiful young ladies will honor me.”

Ai almost blushed at the compliment. She was rather impressed at his Japanese, though it was plain none of the others had a clue what he was saying aside from his name. Speaking of which… “It’s nice to meet you, Mr…?”

“Oh, am sorry,” he said. “Please call me Tu.”

“All right then, Tu,” Ai replied, smiling. “I’m sorry to not use your full name, but I would love to eventually learn your language as much as I can.”

She heard a harsh cough from behind that she decided had to have come from Reina, but the man looked questioningly at Mako-chan. She hurriedly spoke something in his own language, and he gasped, “Ahh!” and turned back toward Ai. “Am most honored, beautiful lady. I thank you happy.” The others had heard what Mako-chan translated as well, and were also beaming at her.

Ai laughed out loud, charmed by the people. This was even better than she’d imagined! Another cough from behind turned her around though, to see three even blanker faces staring at her. Reina at least was looking less green after being on solid ground for a bit, and despite her own sluggish look, it appeared Gaki-san might even join in her laughter before she hid her mouth behind a fist.

“I’m sorry Mako-chan,” she said, turning back, “Tu. But we are very tired after our long trip. Could you show us to our rooms?”

It turned out that their rooms were in fact nothing more than huts, apparently hurriedly set up prior to their arrival. Work was still being done across the inlet on the resort villa, not like they’d be able to make it there tonight anyway, but there was something very satisfying about the leafy, grassy structure she stood in now.

There was one hut for each of them with one room, though not a small one. A futon lay on a heavy carpet in the back, with room for storage on one side and a low table and other cooking supplies along with a lantern on the other. There was of course no bathroom – that was set outside in a pit within a bamboo stall. They must have taken the bamboo from the materials being shipped in for the villa, because she didn’t recall it growing natively here. The shower was bamboo as well, and though the water in its tank was certainly not heated when she tried it out a bit ago, the coolness was quite refreshing.

When she finished brushing her hair and knelt down to the futon, only in boxers and oversized t-shirt in the night air, she heard a stir behind her. Looking back, she saw Gaki-san’s figure at the door looking at her nervously. Her hair was wet as well since Ai had let her shower after Sayu and before her, though the girl had seemed unsure whether she felt like it or not. Reina and Aika hadn’t bothered and disappeared straight into their tents.

“Gaki-san,” Ai said, and Risa smiled at her before coming all the way in and closing the door softly behind her.

“So is it everything you dreamed?” Risa asked her as she walked over to kneel beside her.

Ai beamed at her. “That and so much more,” and she leaned in to press a kiss to the girl’s lips. Risa sighed as Ai pulled away, and after turning out the lamp, the two snuggled into the futon, holding each other close.

“You’re not going to let us rest for long, are you?” Risa asked faintly, sleep heavy in her voice.

“Well you can have tonight,” Ai murmured at her neck, brushing it gently with a kiss. She felt the girl give a small shiver in her arms, but in almost no time at all, she felt her girlfriend’s even breathing of sleep.

It really was the perfect night, Ai thought, smiling, as she drifted into her own tropical dreamland.

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • do a thing make a writing
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 04:17:28 AM »
DIBS!

I'm happy that you're writing again! Much too long since you've graced the forums with your presence. (But its not like I can talk I suppose XD) I've already told you my thoughts on the first chapter via IM but ill try to comment here properly from now on.  :thumbsup

Aichan's thoughts and reactions on the plane ride...couldn't help but feel connected to her while reading them, with all my travels lately, I've decided there are fewer things more awe-inspiring than flying. Especially when you're lucky enough to see the sunset from that vantage point. Also can empathize with poor Reina's motion sickness as well. XD

There isn't too much for me to speculate about yet...you're still just setting up, though that's alright too--I'm getting Aichan's sense of excitement and wonder, and am eager to find out what will happen to our favorite girls... keep up the good work! I'll keep bothering you via messenger as always. ^^
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:37:18 PM by Quietriot »

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
Holy-! What is this, you updated? I had been so looking forward to this story when it first came out, so I'm ecstatic!

They get to the island, yay! Now what?

Are you going to continue to update? :O

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:35:01 AM »
It's okay if it's too early to speculate! More will be revealed in this chapter and onward, and yes rndm, I certainly do plan to continue this! And although I always do :lol: I have motivation this time! I hope some other readers out there as well *looks at grac who I know is lurking* catch up soon as well. ^^

Chapter 3: Into the Jungle

Ai woke the next morning to the light blooming all around her. She tried to roll over but found she couldn’t, and looked down to see Risa clinging to her arm, huddled up against her side. On her arm she could feel the small spot of drool in front of the girl’s mouth. She smiled before gently pulling her arm out, the girl curling into an even tighter ball, and wiped it dry.

When she rose she heard a murmur behind her, but called back softly, “I’ll be right back, okay?” and pulled a yukata around her before ducking out.

The native villagers in the huts farther down the beach were already up and about, tending cook fires or tending clothes, and those who noticed her raised a hand in greeting. Most of them saw her; they were a very observant people.

There wasn’t a stir in the girls’ camp however, and she headed straight for Reina’s hut, quite sure what she’d find and intending to rouse the yankii so she’d have time to shower before leaving. When she pulled the door open though, the scene before her was certainly not quite what she’d expected.

Reina was asleep in her futon of course, the covering kicked nearly down to her feet to show the sweats and slightly pulled-up t-shirt she slept with, but Aika was right beside her, arms wrapped around Reina’s waist perhaps even tighter than Risa’s had been around Ai’s arm.

Ai opened her mouth to give a wake-up call, but was pre-empted by perhaps the loudest shriek she had ever heard. Her mouth fell the rest of the way open as Reina bolted up into a sitting position. She might have moved more after a second if Aika hadn’t been holding her down like a vice. Still, the younger girl seemed to be coming slowly awake as well. The screaming stopped after a few seconds, and Reina looked up from staring at the girl clutching her to Ai’s face.

“She didn’t wanna sleep alone,” Reina protested, as if defending herself from something. “Said she got scared. It happens to kids. She’s still young, you know.”

Ai raised her eyebrows at the priceless look from the rebellious young lady, but she now had apparently more pressing matters to attend to. Darting out of the hut, she looked around to see Sayu burst out of her own in just her long nightgown, take one look at Ai, and scream again as if she beheld Hell’s fire itself.

Ai rushed over to her, putting an arm around the girl to hopefully calm her down. She glanced nervously over her shoulder at the village, where people were running toward them, many with spears in hand, although obviously a bit confused as to what was going on. Spears! Maybe the others weren’t too far off about cannibals…

“Shh, Sayu,” she soothed, “Shh. It’s okay. Tell me what happened.”

“Ai-chan, it’s horrible!” the girl whimpered, wide-eyed. “In my tent…!”

“Ok,” Ai said. “I’ll have a look. All right? Just…” She glanced over her shoulder again, catching sight of Gaki-san stepping curiously out of her hut before turning toward the village, though the people were now slowing down. She breathed a large sigh of relief. It seemed she wasn’t destined to have a spear through her yet today.

…That was certainly not a thought she’d planned on having first thing this morning.

Opening the hut door, she peered inside. It looked relatively the same as hers, though perhaps with more luggage. The covers were ruffled, indicating Sayu had definitely jumped out of them quickly. She stepped slowly closer to them. And then…

Long black legs peeked out from underneath where they’d been apparently tossed off the bed, followed by easily the largest spider Ai had ever seen. She couldn’t help but freeze, although she was proud she didn’t just scream out loud like Sayu had. She wanted adventures after all, and this was certainly a new experience! This was just the first wildlife she’d found on this island, not to mention they hadn’t even made it into the jungle yet.

“That is... SO COOL!” came a sudden voice from behind her, which this time actually did make her jump.

She spun around to see Aika coming up just behind her, any drowsiness apparently quickly fading. Reina stood back at the door, rubbing her eyes as if trying to see what they were looking at without getting too close.

“Aika…” she said. “You’ll have to learn not to creep up behind people like that! If we’re going to be traveling together here…”

The young girl completely ignored her, her full attention focused on the spider. “You know what that is?” she asked.

“I don’t give a damn what it is,” Reina said, now coming slowly closer as well. “If you need to kill it, I’d be happy to oblige though.”

The next thing Ai knew, Aika had spun around and slapped Reina full on the face. Reina flinched, stunned, her mouth hanging open.

“You can’t just go around killing things like that!” Aika warned her. “They might be endangered!”

“It’s just a spider…” Reina murmured, still shocked. Ai sympathized with her. The girl was a firecracker at the best of times, but she certainly didn’t expect Aika to so seriously go after her like that. Maybe what Reina said about what happened last night was the truth. Then again…

Aika turned back around, doing her best to ignore her friend. “If I’m not mistaken…” she said, and walked closer to the spider. It had also stopped moving after having apparently sensed the commotion in the room, and stayed where it was just outside the blanket. Aika moved toward it very slowly, Ai’s breath catching the closer she got, and carefully reached out to it, cupping both hands just in front of it.

Ai wondered if she shouldn’t call out to the girl to stop whatever she was doing, but also couldn’t help but stare in fascination. When Aika slightly nudged its front leg, the leg jerked back a little, but Aika moved her hands further in until it started crawling onto her palm. It was so large it spanned both her hands, but she lifted it up and turned around, smiling triumphantly.

Ai noticed the girl’s eyes glance just to her side, and looked down before jumping a little herself. Reina had a death grip on her arm, staring hard at the spider in Aika’s hands as if nothing else existed. The girl obviously had a lot of work to do to establish that “street cred” she desired. This certainly added strength what she’d heard of Aika’s skills, however.

They heard a dull thud behind them, and Ai craned her neck to see that Sayu had apparently attempted to re-enter her hut, but having seen Aika and the spider, fainted dead away. Gazing down at Reina still tense as a cat ready to spring – or more likely, flee – and staring at Aika, Ai sighed.

“Sayu!” Aika called out. “Sayu! There’s nothing to worry about. See? It’s just an orb weaver. They’re harmless!” Her words fell on deaf, or at least unconscious, ears.

It was certainly an ominous start to their grand adventure.

Eventually Aika released the spider regretfully into a tree, urged on by Ai’s promises that they’d see much more very soon, although that certainly didn’t comfort Sayumi when she came to. Reina was being very quiet, which Gaki of all people kept giving odd looks at, but before long they were showered, ate a light breakfast, and ready to go.

Tu had come up once they left Sayu’s hut and asked if everything was all right. He eyed the spider Aika carried, looking at her as if he was rather impressed, but Ai said they were fine while she and Reina fanned Sayu who had just managed to revive herself.

Ai was excited to pull out their gear, including the exquisite Montecristo superfino hats she’d bought for this occasion. After unfolding them, they looked no different than they had new. Definitely worth the five hundred thousand yen each she’d paid for them.

“How do I look?” Risa asked, walking up to her and grinning before checking herself out a little. She wore one of the hats, as well as the same tidy button-up shirt and khaki shorts and jacket they all wore. They would be hiking a good part of the morning around the beaches until they got to the villa – they could see it sparkling in the distance across the inlet – and there they would change into thicker pants to trek into the forest.

“You look like you’re ready to begin an adventure,” Ai laughed.

When Sayu walked up, the two of them rolled their eyes at the ribbon she had wrapped around her collar. She also had found a flower somewhere for her hat. Ai wondered if the girl could go anywhere without accessorizing at least a little bit.

“Well, at least you look a bit more the adventurer than you did the past couple days,” Gaki said skeptically, and Sayu stuck her tongue out at her.

Reina and Aika actually both looked the most natural in the gear, though Reina of course wore the shirt untucked and the shorts rather baggy. She also had a spiked belt with a skull buckle. Aika’s was a roaring tiger.

“Well if we have to, let’s go ahead and get this started,” Reina grumbled, eyeing the shoreline and the sparkling in the distance while running her thumb up and down the buckle.

“You would have thought she didn’t want to come,” Sayu grumbled, before lifting her pack to her shoulders. It had been about twice the size half an hour ago, but she soon realized she couldn’t carry her wardrobe for five steps, much less days through the forest.

“It looks like about three kilos to reach the villa,” Aika said, peering at a map she spread out in front of her. “Of course, it won’t all be walking along the beach, so…”

“So it’ll take a little longer than you’d think,” Ai finished for her. She smiled at the girl, visualizing the map in her head. She’d basically memorized their route before coming, at least to the villa.

Ai wasn’t completely wrong.

They made decent progress around the beach edges, if a tad slow from the deep sand. It was quite a pleasant trip. They enjoyed the warmth of the breeze, and before long took off their shoes to feel the sand flow around their bare feet. They even paused to stop a few minutes for Reina and Aika to go play in the water a bit.

During that time, Ai and Risa took the opportunity to sit down and cuddle a bit watching the others play, as well as just the sea and beauty surrounding them.

“Well I must say,” Risa said, their heads leaning gently against each other’s, “With all your talk of grand adventure, I didn’t imagine a whole lot of relaxing romantic time like this on the beach.”

“I thought I’d give you a little tease of what’s to come,” Ai said, a sparkle in her eye. “Once we’re finished exploring, perhaps dependent on what we find, and once the villa’s finished, this is what will fill our days.”

After having already served Sayu, who sat huddling under a large parasol since she seemed deathly afraid the tropical sun would ruin her complexion, one of the native serving staff joined them and proffered a wooden pitcher of something along with some cups. They’d found out that aside from Tu, none of the rest spoke understandable English, but his gestures were plenty suitable to get the offer across.

Smiling in gratitude, Ai took one of the cups and Risa the other, and the young man poured out a brew that smelled faintly like coconut and mango. Almost right after she took a sip, Ai felt her head spin.

“Wow,” Risa said, reacting to her own experimental taste. “I think this is something I could get used to as well.”

The young man’s grin, whether he understood or not, split his face from end to end.

Though they did have to enter the woods, it was only sparsely treed this close to the shore, and there was a well-defined trail which Tu led them along. A still quite wet Aika peered around constantly to catch sight of any wildlife they might pass, occasionally pointing something or other out to Reina who hardly even seemed to notice as she slashed at tall grasses with a switch. However, Ai and Risa almost clung to each other as if that was the only way they’d stay upright. Whatever brew the natives had mixed up for them, it was sure not lacking in strength. Even so, Ai knew she couldn’t have had more than two glasses…

Even Sayu, though not having the same issue in mobility as them, certainly appeared more pink-cheeked than what her blush had done for her earlier in the morning.

It was near midday when they reached the villa, hats pulled low over their brows, and even then Ai had to hold a hand in front of her eyes to shield from the glare off the building. It was mostly being constructed of bamboo and other local island woods, but they’d imported marble and granite as well. Ai had wanted nothing but the best to begin with, but seeing it in person, she wondered if the materials were really appropriate. Maybe if nothing else, they’d cool off the interior a bit.

As they neared the looming structure, Mako-chan came up smiling to them along with some of the other imported contractors. Not tired from traveling as they had been last night, she had made the trek then to get back to her own shelter and be ready for the morning. Ai thought it surely must have been cooler for her in the middle of the night instead of their own trip in the middle of the morning. She was already dripping with sweat. However, it also seemed to have the effect of sobering her up fairly quickly.

“Hello again!” the woman said as they met, and Ai hugged her. “How was your trip?”

“Really damn hot,” Reina said, studying Sayu, who despite having one of the servants hold a parasol above her the whole time, also had hair slicked and bunched down against her face. Ai was looking at Reina, though. The girl was one to talk – she looked like she hadn’t sweated at all! “I don’t know whose bright idea it was to come here right under the blazing sun.”

Aika coughed, hiding a smile behind her fist, as she glanced over at Ai. Ai just rolled her eyes. “Come now, people would kill to be able to get a tan like we can here. Right, Sayu?”

The girl under the parasol gave her a meaningful, though cute, glare in return.

“There’s shelter enough here if you want to get out of the sun for a little while,” Mako-chan said, studying the other girls. “Though you might have to share them with a few smelly construction workers.” The men behind her grinned toothily, and Sayu seemed to choke on something.

“Thanks for the offer,” Ai said, the corner of her lip twitching, “But we’ll be off and under the jungle canopy soon enough. We just need to change into pants and add the rest of our supplies.”

The remaining supplies included more bug repellent and enough food to last an indeterminate number of days, since Ai wasn’t exactly sure how long they would be gone, and some other items handled carefully as they were placed into the girls’ backpacks. Speaking of which…

At the edge of the forest, the half-completed villa somewhat in the distance again, Ai gathered everyone together and met each of their eyes before speaking. This was a moment they’d been waiting for, after all.

“Now, some of you may have guessed,” she began, “But there’s a reason Father and I went to so much effort to acquire parts of this specific island, aside from its beautiful scenery and the jamba juice.” That certainly wasn’t the original name of the drink they had on the beach earlier, but Mako-chan told her that’s what the foreigners to the island called it. It was certainly sweet and appealing… She warned not to take too much of it on their trip. Ai wondered how long it would take for her to notice the additional missing bottles from their store. After all, going deep into the forest or not, she still wanted her tropical retreat. Maybe she’d even let Aika have a cup or two. No more, of course. If she turned her into a juvenile delinquent alcoholic, her father would kill her.

Everyone was looking at her intently, except for Sayu who appeared bored and perhaps trying to hide the fact she was searching for more of the giant spiders in the surrounding trees.

“This is the largest tract of land on the Solomon Islands Commonwealth ever bought by a private party,” she continued. “There was a small expedition made a few years back by a team of Company researchers who discovered signs of an ancient civilization deep in the forests – a civilization much older than recorded in the oral histories of the island’s current inhabitants.”

“Spare us the history lesson,” Reina grumbled, rubbing at her buckle again and staring into the depth of the trees. “I hated it enough when I was in school. Unless you mean there’s some lost treasure or something.”

“Maybe,” Ai said, holding a smile. Reina turned toward her, her fingers falling still. “We don’t know what we’re going to find. That’s part of the mystery, and the excitement! The adventure!”

“Ehh,” Reina said, turning back to the trees. “You can have your adventure. Treasure on the other hand…” Despite the girls words though, Ai thought she knew her yankii friend a bit better than that. She wasn’t one to turn down an adventure, though Ai was unsure if she’d ever had a real one before. After all, it’s not like she needs the treasure…

“Oh come on,” Aika said, rolling her eyes. “The real treasure is in the animal and plant life we could discover. I read about that expedition Ai-chan talked about – don’t look at me that way Ai-chan, you know very well my family has connections within your Company to learn things they don’t want released publically! – and they discovered three new species of lizard, and five new plants! Too bad there aren’t any lions or tigers though…”

“Lizards?” Sayu asked, glancing at Aika. It was the first time she seemed to even take an interest in the conversation, but Ai knew she’d really been listening carefully to everything that was said. “What kinds of lizards?”

“Well,” Aika said, adopting a lecturing tone herself, “There was a new strain of monkey skink that was the largest ever found! The one they found was a full meter long!”

“Eep,” Sayu squeaked cutely, holding a hand in front of her mouth daintily. Then there was a crash, and Aika lay stunned where she’d fallen in a bush. Or not exactly fallen

Reina stood next to where she’d been standing, arms crossed and a glower on her face. “If I have to tell you again not to be a nerd…”

“Well, shall we go?” Ai said, now with a big smile as she turned to offer an arm to Risa. She took it with a grin of her own.

“Do we have to?” Sayu asked, fanning herself slowly. Even though they were about to enter the woods, and she had her five hundred thousand yen hat, she still held the parasol carefully above her.

“Ah come on,” Aika said, brushing her clothes off after pulling herself out of the bush, sparing only a light glower at Reina from under her lashes. “You’ll love it once we get in there. The flowers will be some of the prettiest you’ve ever seen.”

“Ooh,” Sayu cooed, though made no move to enter the trees until Ai and Risa led the way. Yes, this would be a very pleasant trip, Ai thought, as she absently patted the part of her bag where she’d carefully stuffed the pistol she picked up at the villa.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:45:18 PM by rokun »

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Vanikoro {Chapter 3: Into the Jungle}
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »
...SayuAi has a gun...? Oh god! What the hell is she expecting? What is she planning?

I can't decide how tragically this is going to end... XD

Edit: Fixed! XD
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:31:09 PM by rndmnwierd »

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »
^ Sorry if it was a bit unclear. This is what happens when I'm trying to edit and post to run out the door :lol: It kept with perspective, but I made it a clearer to show it was Ai who patted the gun...... though of course, that's not to say what Sayu might also have or not have. XD

Still mostly continuing with setup, but I'm trying to get things rolling along here... However, it seems like you're starting to get the idea a bit. :lol:

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »
I hope some other readers out there as well *looks at grac who I know is lurking* catch up soon as well. ^^

Dammit. How do people keep catching me like this?

But I digress.

Pistol-toting Aichan! Panama hats! Fermented island juice! Parasol!Sayu!

And this is my favorite characterization of Aika I've read so far (not that I've read many).

The next thing Ai knew, Aika had spun around and slapped Reina full on the face. Reina flinched, stunned, her mouth hanging open.
I have a friend who does this to me. Makes my ear ring, but it is just so funny.

I can imagine Aika frolicking into the jungle, muttering scientific names of flora and fauna to herself as she goes.

Reina/Aika/Nature love triangle ftw.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ai Shinozaki - OMOIDE NO TAMEIKI