JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Nannimo Iwazu ni I LOVE YOU

Author Topic: KPOP 2012 Debuts - Your favourites? Who will survive?  (Read 7081 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
KPOP 2012 Debuts - Your favourites? Who will survive?
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
Let's discuss the groups and artists that debuted in Kpop this year!
Who's in your top 3 or 5? Who do you think might be worth keeping an eye on? Who have the best chance of survival?

I compiled information from several different lists to form this one epic lists of rookies in 2012!
Linked a video from each. Embedded a few random videos. Enjoy~!

[noembed][/noembed] (Boyband)
[noembed][/noembed] (Girl duo)
[noembed][/noembed] (Boyband) PALLIWOW!!! PALLIWOW!!!
[noembed][/noembed] (Boy duo)
[noembed][/noembed] (Girl group)
[noembed][/noembed] (Girl solo)

A.O.A (Girl group)

[noembed][/noembed] (Girl group) - full MV not out yet

BTOB (Boyband)

Crayon Pop (Girl group)

[noembed][/noembed] (Girl group) (they are babies ;_; too cute)
[noembed][/noembed] (B&G duo) - already split up?

EXID (Girl group)

[noembed][/noembed] (Boyband) - linked EXO-K here
[noembed][/noembed] (2 male rapper motherfuckers, shit)

J-Min (Female solo) - embedding for actual instruments <3

[noembed][/noembed] (Male solo)

Lee Hi (Girl solo) - like honey to my ears

Lumi-L (Girl solo) - didn't wanna embed two in a row at any point, but this was such a pleasant surprise

[noembed][/noembed] (Male singer)

NU'EST (Boyband)

[noembed][/noembed] (It's a band o_o Female vocals)
[noembed][/noembed] (Group of random dudes)
[noembed][/noembed] (Male solo)

SPICA (Girl group)

The Cheers (a dude and a gal)

[noembed][/noembed] (It's a male duo band o_o)

FUCK YES I'M DONE :cow:

Since I actually went through all these I'll hopefully tomorrow.. Err.. Later today add more of my commentary...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:03:46 AM by shirenu »
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Re: KPOP 2012 Debuts - Your favourites? Who will survive?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »
Epic post, shirenu. I can feel your suffering going through all of these, since in kpop, quantity is overtaking quality big time. Dat bubble gon' burst!

Anyways, I'm gonna check out all the ladies linked as soon as possible! Thanks for making it real easy!

--

But here's some tentative rankings before I check out all the rest:

1. D-Unit - Still not high on their visual style, but they did put out my fave kpop album of the year so far, so that's quite something for a rookie group.
2. Crayon Pop - All around awesome, fun and borderline anarchy... just a breath of fresh air.
3. Hello Venus - Love the girls, especially after watching Birth of Venus. Thought their debut a tad too cutesy at first, but it kinda grew on me.
4. AOA - Peculiar hybrid concept but it all works out in the end. Pretty good material, beautiful girls. With instruments!
5. Ailee - Mad skills, mad cute. Also boobs.

Been enjoying Fiestar, Spica and a little EXID as well. I don't really even know that many more groups on the list.. Juniel, Gangkiz, She'z, Glam, EvoL, Tahiti (ugh).

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »
Wow...what a list of rookies, I think I checked out most of the female rookies when they came out.  Mad props for compiling the list.

My Top 5
1. Ailee - Love the girl, great voice, great personality, great body, she's got it all.
2. Crayon Pop -  Bing Bing looked like it was going to be another overly cutesy song, but turned out not so much and it was quite catchy. Everything about this group is fun, their music, their choreo, their performances, etc.
3. Hello Venus - Like Stryfe, after watching Birth of Venus started liking em more. Music had to grow on me though as it was really cutesy.
4. SPICA - Great voices and great music.
5. EXID - I thought their debut single Who's that girl was alright, but when they had that mini-album I became a bit of a fan.

Other rookies I enjoyed listening to were Juniel, EvoL, Fiestar, Gangkiz, Jevice, D-d-d-d-d-unit, AOA, She'z and The SEEYA. Obviously I mostly listen to the female groups XD, but I did enjoy listening to some male groups like BTOB's WOW and B.A.P.'s

----
Who do I think survives?
Well for male groups, EXO easily survives just because they come from SMEnt XD. I watch the music programs occasionally and B.A.P. already got a bunch of fangirls so I think they'll survive too.

Ailee easily survives this wave of rookies, everyone already praises her and such.

Female Groups...I hope Crayon Pop survives, they come from a small company so it's harder for them to get that exposure. But they're doing a great job of trying to get their name out by doing all those guerrilla concerts and all those youtube vids.
Groups like AOA, FIESTAR and Hello Venus will probably be okay since they come from pretty known companies. They might not get super popular, but they'll hang around.

----
I'm waiting on GLAM to come out with something new, I thought their debut stuff was alright. I saw some of their practice vids of them covering songs and I thought they had some good vocals, so I want to give them another chance. They got a song for a Drama but that ain't the same XD. Also, I like Dahee and I wanna see more of her  :wub:.

Ah also, surprisingly, with all the rookies that came out, there were a lot of good rookies this time around.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:22:57 AM by storyboard »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:51:20 AM »
Ok yeah whoa. I'm not even sure where to begin. 8)

BOYBANDS! Why do I so often find them unintentionally funny :lol: I think this is why I prefer them to do happy songs instead of serious business songs. Because I'm sorry but these boys all acting so tough just makes me giggle - or find them scary, if they are intense enough. o_o

24k with the palliwow song was memorable. :lol: The song starts all hard and intense, but there's one dude there all smiling and having a good time, hah I don't even know. It's because of that one dude that I'm mentioning this unit separately, so he should be proud.

BAP, BTOB and NU'EST stood out to me as well-made groups with possibly decent songs (granted my exposure is still very small). By the time I got to NU'EST I was so sick of crappily made autotuned songs 'n shit that I was just happy to hear a genuine happy song, so I embedded their video. I might check out their other songs as well, who knows, they just got to me at a good moment... (NU'EST also has that dude that could easily pass as a hot chick o_o He's just beautiful across all borders)

SPEAKING OF HAPPY, TimeZ wins the happy-cute award for boybands :P They're not even singing in Korean, but does that matter? I remember seeing them at the Mamas, had no idea who they were but the moment this video started I figured it out. Which is quite special because to me all boybands kinda look and sound the same... (So did many of these girl groups, to be fair)

Also, if anyone is weak for boybands who don't dance but play instruments and sing pretty, Lunafly's an option. They're not exactly rock tho, it's more on the sweet side.

EXO-whatevs is of course very well-produced since it's SM, but their stuff is just way too serious for me. Even the way they dance like intense robots, there is like no ounce of enjoyment, just striving for perfection. When I went to do something during one of the Kpop award shows and came back to hearing and seeing something on stage that looked like it was opera to someone who had died, I knew it was EXO. It's just... laughably serious. LOL

So that's my view on the boybands based on these single videos. EXO will of course be fine, they are already ridiculously popular. BAP, BTOB and NU'EST I hear about now and then, so I think they are fine as well? Dunno about the rest.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
THE LADIES. Everyone knows I only listen to girls, so this is where my TOP 4 will be.

1. SPICA
2. Crayon Pop
3. A.O.A
4. Lee Hi

I decided to stick to a top 4 because these 4 are the acts whose careers I will definitely follow in the future. :3

SPICA have great vocals, quite good songs (especially Russian Roulette) and the members seem awesome, too. I like their maturity. Jiwon's bedhair scenes in Lonely are quite :wub: I'm not sure how popular they are, but they SHOULD be owning shit left and right!

Crayon Pop - we always talk about how indie they are, and they are that in comparison to a lot of other groups - but after going through this list of rookies, they also have it much better than many other groups. Some groups I had to remove from the list because they didn't have a single video or TV performance on youtube, and that was my requirement for being considered debuted. In addition, Crayon Pop's music videos look good, unlike some other groups I saw. AND their songs are genuinely catchy good, not just autotuned singing thrown over some awful eurobeat. AND the members are somehow instantly likeable and cute and unique, even if they have a pair of twins. AND!! Their online and on street campaigning is great! Some other smaller companies don't even have any kind of youtube outlet for their rookie groups. So they may come from a smaller company, but their management appears much better than some others, and if there is justice in the world they might just pull through.

Crayon Pop is a lot of fun, I love all the members and hope to god all their hard work pays through :heart:

A.O.A is a bit different in the sense that I never really watch their videos, I just have their songs Elvis and Get Out on constant play. :P So they truly get this placement for having lovely pop songs. I think their songs might stand out because of the band concept; that forces them to keep at least some kind of genuine musicality going on, since the songs have to be somehow possible to perform with a band. lol But they've managed to be catchy so far as well, so yay. I have no idea what the names of the members are, though.

Lee Hi only has one solo promo song out, but I really love her jazzy voice and the vibe of her song (the video isn't great, but whatevs). So glad she's with YG now. I know this girl from the Kpop Star reality show, but was really expecting Supearls to debut, not Lee Hi's solo efforts. But what can I say, she really impressed me with this song, her live vocals and FRESHNESS. She's so different from other Kpop idols, lol. Truly anticipating her future efforts.

Other special commentary:
She'z - It really sucks that their songs are so mediocre because I like their voices.
Gangkiz - They get a lotta hate, but I think Mama was possibly one of the catchiest songs of the year.
Hello Venus - The members seem cute, but they need better songs if they want to grab my attention.
Fiestar - Same as above, pretty much.
GLAM - Loved the message of their debut song, love for all~ I still didn't find them very memorable tho, so I'd need a great comeback from them to be convinced.
EXID - Not that excited about them, but they have potential 8) (Oh no, it's the "p" word)
(BBde Girl - Their song was fucking awful, but I recognized one girl from the now dead HAM T_T And I'm mentioning this as a future reminder to myself, if this group somehow becomes less awful)
15& - Their voices are great and Jimin has a great personality, good combo with the quieter other girl. Their debut song was kinda boring (lol ballads), but if they had something more fun, I'm sure I'd love them like Lee Hi. (Jimin was also in Kpop Star, that's why the comparison)

SO yeah. :thumbup Generally, I think quite a few groups debuted this year that are worth noticing in the future, as well. ...But a lot of them are doomed to fail, too.

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
This just made me realize I've kinda been slacking on the new stuff :lol:...who even knew there were SO DAMN MANY. Mad props for sticking with this XD

I do know enough of what I liked to compile at least a top 100, though. So here it is:

1. Ailee
2. Ailee
3. Ailee
99. Ailee
100. D-Unit

Have I mentioned how much I like Ailee? No? Let me do that now. I FUCKING LOVE AILEE. She's gorgeous outside, I'm going to pretend I know for sure that she's gorgeous inside, and she's got a voice that I can only describe as THE VOICE OF THE HEAVENS. Also,

boobs.

Never hurt anybody.

As for D-Unit, I've gone through this before but I really like them. Aside from Ailee they're far and away my favorite. I dig their music, I dig their cheesy style and cheesy dance moves (Yeah. So what? Fight me.), and they come off as really fun and goofy in their video stuff.

Crayon Pop seems to be one of the more popular ones I've been seeing, and I did listen to Bing Bing, but they didn't really grab my attention. I was never entirely one for the cutesy stuff but it was a nice catchy tune, and if I find the time I would love to get more familiar with them. There's something really endearing about them, from what I've seen with them in terms of fan interaction and stuff like that. They've got a sort of underdog vibe that makes it so I can't help but inherently like them, even if I barely listened to em.

I barely know anything about Hello Venus, but damn if Lime isn't fine as hell. The only other one I know by name is Alice, and she's fine too. Shallow? Hell yes, but they're on my radar for it and I'd like to actually listen to their music...at some point...

I gave Gankiz the honor of a few listens thanks to their T-ara relation, but overall I felt they were kinda bland. Pretty sure it's management's fault (CCM is easy to blame), but their songs weren't BAD. I do like MAMA and it's catchy as hell, but if I do ever go back to trying to follow them it would only be because of the distant T-ara relation.

I liked the song from The Seeya, but I can't even remember what it sounded like. Only listened for the CCM T-ara connection, again, and I fear they'll do a bad job with them too, but I did like what I heard.

Spica I listened to a few of their tracks, but not nearly enough. Not until recently, anyway, when the video for Painkiller came up on my massive kpop video playlist, and I was really digging it. I pretty much added it to my regular rotation of songs played, so I hope to get better acquainted with their other stuff, and I hope I like it just as much.

These are probably the only ones I know anything about...I can bet several body parts that Ailee will survive, and I've got faith in D-Unit. Crayon Pop I feel are developing enough of a fanbase that they'll at least be semi-relevant, same with Hello Venus and Spica....as for the CCM children...I wish you the best XD
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline ★蜂蜜ゆみ

• funpark
  • ecchi
  • asian-girl-perv
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 01:43:27 AM »
Ailee!!
She's fucking talented
Crayon Pop
1st kpop grup in taking the risk on debutiing in Japan firstH
Hello Venus
Yonjoo is an opera singer ♥
AOA
They ate just amajjing ♠

Offline meneervankodoq

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kuwagata Shikshin
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
I'm rooting for Fiestar, Ailee, and Juniel for the girls side.
Ailee and Juniel have strong presence in Korea. I hear their songs got played more often than the girl groups on the streets.
As for Fiestar, well, this is quite a bias actually. Hahaha. I just love their single. XD

For the boys, BAP and EXO will definitely survive.
EXO got SME behind their back and in the end of 2012, you can already see how crazy their fans are in SMTOWN concerts.
The same also goes to BAP, minus the SME backing tho. :)

Offline ★蜂蜜ゆみ

• funpark
  • ecchi
  • asian-girl-perv
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
EXO is the new SJunior, like sadly SM gives more importance to EXOK not even M!! Thank SUJU!
I feel rlly bad for Suju :(

Also Juniel is amazing ♥

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:37:29 AM »
Look at all those new groups.. :shocked I really don't have the wherewithal to sift through all that madness in one go but I should get caught up. Big props to you Shi for doing the work and getting a cool thread together.
Talk about entertainment companies throwing groups out their like baited hooks into the sea hoping that some will at least catch some attention. How do you say over-saturation in Korean?...

Now to the song and dance:

1. Crayon Pop

Big surprise, right? For me, they represent a breath of fresh air in what is clearly becoming a crowded and stuffy environment. When they first came out I was immediately smitten by their charm and concept. The choreography, the outfits, the songs... it all culminates for me as not only my favorite new group, but they're starting to content for my top favorite group spots. I'm also kinda pumped that they weren't doing the sexy concept right out of the gate. I'm sure they'll get to it eventually, but for now its been such a pleasure to just see them do silly dances and frolic around in track suits and, idk... just be them! It suits their personalities really well I think. I also think this is part of the reason they are getting more and more popular by the day. You can't help but root for them. I think this is the start of something special for them and I'm happy to see it from the beginning for once.

2. Ailee

I should thank Diobrando for this one really because homeboy wouldn't shut up about her during Mnet voting so I went and checked her stuff out and I was REALLY impressed. First of all, she can sing. REALLY sing. Let's not mince words here.. kpop can be notorious for a wholesale disregard of actual singing ability so it's always nice to see someone who can belt it out. Ailee delivers here in spades. There's even a video of her doing a Mariah Carey cover that is totally on point. You gotta be gutsy to do certain covers and I can think of some idols who have had some dreadful attempts.. anyhow, the girl is talented. Secondly, ...if you have a functioning set of eyes you know that shes got that thick Jersey body. PRAISE THA LAWDDD FO DAT ASSSSSS. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! *clears throat* ...sorry about that. Lastly, thank god she has a company that is giving her music to work with that plays to her strengths. I feel that sometimes a group gets a song on the album that just was NOT meant for them and it sounds that way on record but her songs are so appropriate and play to her voice and the solo concept she's rocking. Do you gurl.

3. D-Unit

I'll thank Stryfe for this one because at first I was like, "ooooOOOOOooo Boram's sister???" and I was immediately interested and almost as quickly as I was interested I was disinterested. Sometimes it takes another persons perspective to help you get perspective on the positives of a group and, after talking to Stryfe I took another look at D-Unit and their debut album Welcome to Business and it was like night and day. The concept of the album is well expressed, very strong for a debut, and ballsy. Their company has some unusual plans for them that amount to subbing members in and out which leave me feeling a bit disconcerted but.. they don't have to answer to me of course.. I just hope it works. I also hope sometimes they just scrap it and get everyone in the mix and just make the group size larger. Anyhow it's the music that matters here, and it's really great and cohesive to boot which makes me a happy camper. Did I mention Wooram and Boram are related?? Because the Jeon's run this bitch.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline zamriduan

• ecchi
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
A.O.A. and d-unit are the 2 rookie group dat i really look forward to seing in da future...Hwaiting!!

Offline meneervankodoq

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kuwagata Shikshin
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »
Before their debut, I had a high expectation for GLAM.
The teasers of the group were great and often popped up as YouTube ads, which made me think that this group (or at least their agency) is serious.
Their other pre-debut videos (such as the one where they performed SeeU's "I=Fantasy") were also good. But then their debut single came out.
I simply couldn't bring myself to like it. :(

But then they released their second single "I Like That" in January 2 this year.
They got the guts to bring competition with the likes of SNSD! I like this. And this time the single is actually nice.
GLAM got my attention back. Thus I'll root for them again. Now I just hope they'll appear in varieties more frequently. :roll:

Offline RubyDL

• ecchi
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:44:45 AM »
Ailee and Exid for me no doubt about it!

I really love J-Min's song as well.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Nannimo Iwazu ni I LOVE YOU