JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Dreamland

Author Topic: The Video Game Pickups Thread  (Read 9976 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The Video Game Pickups Thread
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:30 AM »

Post your latest video game pickups! :pimp:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: The Video Game Pickups Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:38:16 AM »

Nintendo 3DS with Super Mario 3D Land & Angry Birds Star Wars: I've been wanting to get a 3DS for a while so I'm super excited about finally owning the system. All I can say is that I'm very impressed so far and Super Mario 3D Land is the best platformer I've played since... Super Mario 3D World. Not really all that interested in the Angry Birds game so I'm prolly not even gonna open it. I'm glad I bought the regular version instead of the XL version because I love the 3D effect. I can't even imagine playing SM3DL without 3D. Anyways I guess I'm lucky that the effect doesn't make me feel dizzy an' shit.

GTA Vice City (PC): Vice City might be my favorite GTA game and since I have never actually owned the game I just had to pick it up when I saw it on sale for 2€. I don't know if I'm ever gonna play it again but at least the packaging looks super cool.

EA Sports UFC: I kinda regret buying the game because the reception has been really lukewarm and many fans are disappointed. As you may know, I'm a huge MMA fan and when EA announced their deal with the UFC I was super stoked. I've been playing EA's sports games since 1994 and I thought EA MMA was a very solid game. But as they revealed more and more information regarding the game, my excitement started dying down. Fortunately I don't own a PS4 yet so I might sell the game and buy it again in a few months when I can get it for like half the price. I'm keeping the Bruce Lee DLC code tho :P

New Super Mario Bros Wii: The very first New SMB game is one of my favorite games of all time but to be honest the sequels have been kinda mediocre. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent platformers but games like Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 3D Land/World are far superior. I still play SM3DW but my copy of New SMB U has been collecting dust on a shelf for a few months. I played New SMB Wii a little bit and it's definitely a fun game but... I already know I'm gonna end up playing Super Mario 3D Land way more. So why did I buy New SMB Wii when I already own New SMB U? Simply because I'm trying to collect all Super Mario platformers. A few months ago I noticed that I already own most Super Mario games so I thought it would be fun to collect 'em all especially since Mario platformers are affordable and easy to find. I'm still missing around 10 games but fortunately most of them are common titles.

Super Mario Bros. (GBA): Another Mario game off the list, 'nuff said.

SNES controllers: I bought a couple of cheap ass repro controllers cuz my original SNES controller has a busted d-pad. I got mixed feelings about the controller because while the buttons are responsive, the cable is short as fuck :doh:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »

Before anyone asks me, yes I do own both Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World. So why did I buy the All-Stars+World version? Because.... Luigi! I always hated how in SMW Luigi was basically a recolored Mario sprite instead of a unique character. Many people don't know this but the All-Stars+World version of SMW actually has a different Luigi sprite set:

The year of Luigi might be over but Mario's bro still deserves some love :yep:

I fucking love Contra and the original game for NES is one of those games I will never get tired of playing. Contra is seriously a perfect video game. It's challenging yet fun and addictive. The soundtrack is full of catchy tracks that get your blood bumping while you swim in the ocean of bullets. It's one of the most gorgeous 8bit games ever and especially the large bosses still look amazing. And last but not least, it's got the most awesome video game weapon ever... The Spread Gun.

I never owned Operation C as a kid but once I saw some footage of the game I just knew I had to have it. I was able to pick it up for under 10€ and I'm very happy with my purchase because this game fucking rocks. Operation C might not be as intense as Contra or Super C due to hardware limitations but it does have a few improvements over the NES games. The machine gun is gone because the game features auto-fire and they also removed everybody's least favorite gun, the Laser. The most awesome thing is that you can actually upgrade your Spread Gun. The Spread with homing bullets is my wet dream come true :drool:

If you like the NES Contra games then Operation C is a must buy. It's cheap, easy to find and more importantly it has a SPREAD GUN WITH HOMING BULLETS.

Still not convinced? Watch this awesome review:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:39:01 AM by M×A×S×A »

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Ahhh great topic idea!
Wish I could participate but Kimmuu won't let me XD

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »
I'm not stopping you. You're free to buy whatever game(s) you like. :D

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
BAH

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

I just can't resist cheap 3DS games :drool:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
All the video game swag I have bought so far in 2015:

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »
This is my most recent delivery, although more is coming  :cow:

And this actually completes my Capcom Dreamcast collection, I now own all of the games with this El Dorado Gate set I managed to pick up, since there was some damage to it.

Lucky for me I already had 1 2 & 3 (gathering the rest has been hard) so I could substitute them in. There is a green slipcase that you could send away for by getting all 7 games in Japan, and I have seen this online before for like $300+ dollars, but this set had the 2001 calender with it so I got it for a loooot less than that, with it being damaged and all.
This Dreamcast collection is actually my main one, Sega Saturn games too to a slightly lesser extent, but I'm happy to finally have finished it after what, 17 years? XD I probably could have finished it sooner but I've been doing nonsense like buying Capcom games for PS1 and PS2, which have over 100 each due to their popularity... ugh, I don't know if I'll ever finish that.

This also makes my Yakuza/RyuuGaGotaku collection a bit bigger!

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 03:39:52 PM »

Technically these aren't pickups, as I found them while tidying up, but I was wondering where these had gotten to!
I love Japanese Gamecube and GBA boxes, they're so small and cute!

edit:
I have the third Naruto game as well, I just found XD
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:41:53 PM by pikapikapika »

Offline etranger01

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • alpha to omega & lambda for mame
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »
Wow MASA!
i don't thing gaming is THAT cool, but your collection is for sure!
pikapikapika's looks nice also!

i just DL stuff for 10 bucks or so... XD
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰のファンだったのだろう。
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰の曲を口ずさんでいたのだろう。

藤代冥砂

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
Damn Masa  :panic:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
Colin McCrae Rally 3 takes me back. Love those point to point races. Proper ones too that lasts for more than 5 minutes and no rewind feature either so you had to be good. SSX Tricky is also good fun, but I preferred SSX 3.

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »
^ so many fighting games, Masa!

Anyway, as mentioned in the postwhoring thread, I've been out of gaming for years, but then downloaded Daytona USA on the Xbox Live Arcade, which got me back in...

And then I bought all of this...
(most of it stuff I wanted years ago when I stopped gaming...)

Lollipop Chainsaw - Xbox 360 - Awesome game! Still got the last level to play, but it's just silly fun and really heavily stylised. Really nice.
Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - quite annoyed they shipped me the US version not the EU one... anyway this is a Cave horizontal shooter... never really got into it in the arcades...
Bit.Trip Complete - Wii - collection of their WiiWare games, I already had 3 of them on download and they are damn awesome. This comes with a soundtrack CD also
Ivy The Kiwi? - DS - only the second of the games here I've played... gets repetitive tbh... I should probably finish it though
The English Of The Dead - DS - I'm guessing this is just like Typing of the Dead (which is House of the Dead 2 but you type instead of shoot a lightgun) but teaching you English as well...
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend - PSP - well, I have the first two, these are always fun
Console Wars - book - apparently mostly about Sega with lots of personal stuff from people employed there, it's a really massive book
The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers - DVD - 4 hours long of interviews and other footage, should be interesting if I ever get around to watching it...

Anyway, I put a lot of time into Daytona USA, then did most of Lolipop Chainsaw, but then devolved back into shmups - the posthumous indie ones ont he Dreamcast - Fast Striker ver1.5 and Redux: Dark Matters, and Dux ver1.5, but then went back into pretty much all I was playing more I stopped gaming - Cave vertical shmups. First a lil bit of Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, but I've never really got into it, and then Mushihime-sama ver1.5, which I managed to get the 1CC on! I was really close in the arcades some years ago so nice to go and do it now.

Chihiro

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Some fantastic choices there Masa!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »
Finally got one of my most anticipated games of the year, The Witcher 3. Just like it's predecessor, any normal copy of the game comes with good additional physical stuff like a game manual, stickers, a world map, the soundtrack and a thank you note from the developers. Really looking forward to getting deeper into the game. Between this and Bloodborne it's a good time to be a gamer  :twothumbs

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Went on a little digital shopping spree on PSN and grabbed

- Submerged
- Hitman Go
- The Banner Saga
- Never Alone
- Transistor
- Child of Light

PSN sales are the worst, thank god i dont have Steam!

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 03:18:49 AM »
I got Resident Evil Revelations 2 and Dead Rising 3! Sales!

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Dreamland